239 posts :: Page 5 of 8
By: Likes:

I consider John the Colombian a Master Coach - people compare him to Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer - but as a master of working with people; of building them up and helping them become the best they can be. I am grateful for the ongoing opportunities to learn from him. Below is a recent letter John shared with me (U16 girls), and his response. Beautiful stuff!

----- Original Message -----
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:33 pm
Subject: Sarah excited that you were at practice tonight!
To: John C

Hi John,

I just wanted to let you know that Sarah came home from practice tonight so excited that she started crying! She told me that her excitement began the minute she spotted your car in the parking lot (something she has made a habit of looking for) & then had difficulty containing herself when she saw you at the practice.

It goes without saying that Sarah was DEVASTATED when ^^^^ spoke with the girls on the weekend and informed them that you might not be coaching them. She had a VERY rough night. Even though you were absent for only a couple of practices / tech sessions, she kept saying that she missed you "soooo much".

I was not kidding when I said that we did not have much choice in deciding where Sarah would play this year & although she had a chance to play on 2 tier 1 teams, she passed that up without blinking an eye in order to train with you & ****. Sarah has been gifted as a fairly good athlete in a few sports, but we have never seen a coach affect her in such a short time as you have and we pray that you will be able to continue to coach her in the future. Academically Sarah does OK, but soccer is definitely her passion!

If there is anything Chris or I could do to help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask!

Warmest Regards,

Nancy H

----- Original Message -----
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:29:11 -0700
To: Sarah H
Subject: Life and Soccer

Dear Nancy,

Thanks for your feedback, I want you to know that I also missed the girls a lot as I have become very attached to them due to their commitment, passion and love for soccer. My real hope is to have a lasting impact on Sarah and all the players on the team, as I said at the meeting; we all came together for a reason as destiny has an incredible way to do things.

What we will do together, what we will learn together, should be remembered as a legacy for times to come. It is my dream that these wonderful human beings will keep elevating themselves to greatness; the path of discovery starts within every one of us and soccer is just a tool that we can use on this wonderful journey. I want them to discover the beauties of hard work, discipline, dedication, respect, resilience towards themselves and others, so they create their own path and they can ignite others when time will come for them to pass this great legacy.

I'm very fortunate and privileged to coach these team and the same bond and respect that they are feeling goes my way, too. Your daughter is a very special and gifted player and if she unleashes that power inside her she will become great beyond measure.

My path, as you know, is to ignite this incredible force hiding inside all these wonderful young ladies so they can enjoy the game for what it is and to love it and play as long as they can do it. I can assure you that I will do my best to at least the end of the season.

You asked if you can do something for me? You have already done your part allowing me to coach your daughter, thanks for the opportunity.

God bless you and your family.

JBC
J-G97
Head Coach

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Speaking of Gretzky, I would be fascinated to interview him about his early beginnings... and how his dad's influence helped him. I wonder if the backyard rink 'protected' him from stupid coaches? Perhaps this allowed his skills and Game Intelligence to develop without some adult know-it-all coach yelling at him; explicitly 'telling' him what to do?

Here is some more about Wayne:

"Born in Brantford, Ontario, Wayne Gretzky lived perhaps the most famous childhood of any athlete. When he was six years old, his father, Walter, built a rink in the family's backyard, and it was there that Wayne skated for hours on end, every day, practising his skating, shooting and stickhandling and learning everything about the game from his dad. "It was for self-preservation," Walter admitted. "I got sick of taking him to the park and sitting there for hours freezing to death." From the time he was six, he played many leagues above his age. He scored only one goal in his first year, when he was playing with ten-year-olds, but each season his skills increased dramatically and he soon set scoring records that seemed preposterous, notably a 378-goal season in his last year in pee wee in Brantford. As he progressed, he earned the nickname "the White Tornado" because he wore white hockey gloves and because of his speed and skill. Each year he played at a higher level, and each year he maintained his superiority.

When he was 14, he decided that the pressure of playing in his small hometown was too great and jealous players and parents made him unhappy. He decided to move to Toronto and there he played for the Toronto Nats. When he was 15, he played three games with the Peterborough Petes in the Ontario Hockey Association as an emergency call-up, and even then the Great One impressed scouts with his abilities despite his small stature and youth. The next year, 1977-78, was his only full season in the OHA, and he finished second to Bobby Smith in the scoring race while playing for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. It was there that he first adopted the number 99 when his favorite number 9 was already taken by fourth-year player Brian Gualazzi. Gretzky also represented Canada internationally for the first time in January 1978 at the World Junior Championship in Quebec City. As a 16-year-old, he led the whole tournament in scoring and was named the top center. Ironically, the coaching staff invited him to the team's training camp only because he was leading the league in scoring; they thought he was otherwise too small to even make the team. After missing a month of league play with the juniors, he returned to the OHA - and he was still leading in scoring.

In the fall of 1978, Gretzky joined the Indianapolis Racers after signing a personal services contract with Nelson Skalbania, the team's owner. Gretzky had wanted to join the NHL, but the league's draft age was 20 and Gretzky didn't think it would help to play three years in the OHA until he was drafted. Gretzky's stay in Indianapolis was short lived as the Racers, who folded after five seasons, and Skalbania sold Gretzky to the Edmonton Oilers. In Edmonton, under coach Glen Sather, he became the most dominant player in the history of the game. He set records, and his play was unlike anything the league had ever seen. He was surrounded by phenomenal talent in Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey, and Grant Fuhr in goal, and as a team they set virtually every scoring record that currently stands.

When Gretzky first arrived in Edmonton, he stayed with coach Sather, who immediately promised him that he'd one day be captain of the team and win the Stanley Cup. Clearly, Sather knew how good Gretzky could be. In his first full NHL season, Gretzky tied Marcel Dionne for the scoring race but lost the Art Ross Trophy because Dionne had more goals. He couldn't win the Calder Trophy because the NHL had declared that players from the WHA weren't rookies, but he did win the Hart Trophy, the first time a first-year player was so honored.

The next year, 1980-81, he won his first of seven straight scoring titles and broke Bobby Orr's assists record with 109. The year after, he shattered Phil Esposito's record of 76 goals (a record many thought was unbreakable) by scoring 92 times, a record that itself will surely stand the test of time. En route, he also scored an incredible 50 goals in the first 39 games of the season, including five in the historic 39th game. He also registered 212 points, the first of four times he'd score more than 200, and to this day he's the only player to have done so even once (Mario Lemieux came closest when he scored 199 in 1988-89).

His style was unique and almost impenetrable. The area behind the opposition goal was dubbed "Gretzky's office" because it was from there that he made so many perfect passes for goals. He was equally known for using the trailing man on rushes rather than a man skating ahead of him. Gretzky would come in over the blue line and then curl, waiting for a defenseman, often Coffey, to join the rush and create a great scoring chance. When on the ice to kill penalties, Gretzky wasn't looking to ice the puck in a defensive role; he was looking to take the other team by surprise, to take advantage of their defenselessness to score shorthanded. The result was goals and more goals - the Oilers scoring 400 a season as a matter of routine - and Gretzky won the scoring race virtually every year in the 1980s.

As Gretzky went, so went the Oilers. They went to the Stanley Cup finals in 1983, only to lose horribly to the Islanders in four straight games. But the loss was a learning experience. The next year they made their first of four Cup wins over the next five years by defeating those same Islanders in five games. That ended the dynastic run of four straight Cup wins for the Long Islanders. The playoffs became a mirror of the regular season, as Edmonton routinely scored seven goals a game, Gretzky led the playoffs in scoring and the team kept on winning and winning. The culmination of these years came in 1988, and after the Oilers won the Cup, Gretzky huddled the team at center ice for an on-ice group portrait, the first of what has since become a tradition for every winning team at every level.

That spring of 1988 was also Gretzky's last moment in an Oilers sweater. He married Janet Jones in August, and just days later he was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in one of the most stunning deals in NHL history. He, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley went to the Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, first-round draft choices in 1989, 1991 and 1993 and $15 million. In the ensuing days, charges and countercharges flew in Edmonton because of the magnitude of the deal and because it came just after the Oilers' successful season-ticket drive had concluded. Fans felt betrayed, and many blamed Janet Jones for forcing the trade. Others blamed Gretzky for asking for a trade, and most people vilified owner Peter Pocklington for selling his most valuable asset simply for a large sum of cash. But in the end the result was the same - Gretzky was headed for the United States, never to wear a sweater of a Canadian team again in the NHL.

The league was never to be the same either. Gretzky brought to L.A. a truly winning attitude and ability and the Forum was sold out every game for the first time in franchise history. Gretzky's relationship with owner Bruce McNall was close, and with John Candy the three bought the Toronto Argonauts football club. Gretzky and McNall also bought valuable baseball cards and horses and were as close in business as they were in hockey. On ice, he won more Art Ross and Hart trophies, and in 1993 he took the Kings to the finals for the first time after eliminating the Maple Leafs in game seven of the semifinals in his favorite building, Maple Leaf Gardens. The deciding game in Toronto was a 5-4 win for L.A. in which he scored a hat trick and which he called his finest NHL game ever. But in the finals the Kings were exhausted and the Great One's magic couldn't compensate. Montreal beat them in five games. After winning it four times with Edmonton, Gretzky was never again to get as close to the Cup.

Along the way in Los Angeles, Gretzky scored his 802nd goal to pass Gordie Howe as the all-time leading scorer as well as his 1,852nd point to pass Howe as all-time point-getter in the league. "The fact that the record was broken by someone who's such a great person takes away any sense of loss that I might have," Howe said.

Gretzky was traded to St. Louis to play with his friend Brett Hull and coach Mike Keenan, who had worked with Gretzky during Canada Cup competitions. He played only 18 games in St. Louis during the regular season, and after a disappointing showing in the playoffs, the Blues decided not to offer Gretzky a contract in the off-season. Instead, the Great One signed a three-year deal in the summer of 1996 to be with his oldest hockey friend, Mark Messier, and the New York Rangers. It seemed to be the perfect way to end a great career.

A year later, though, Messier became embroiled in a bitter contract negotiation with the Blueshirts and signed with the Vancouver Canucks. Gretzky was alone again - on Broadway, on a mediocre team, a situation he had never wanted. He didn't want to be the center of attention or the one on whom all the expectations were focused. He continued to be the team's leading scorer, but his supporting cast grew weaker and the Rangers missed the playoffs his last two years in the NHL. Time and again his perfect passes floated into open ice where no Ranger had anticipated the play or a pass would be badly missed on the awful Garden ice. Toward the end of the 1998-99 season, Gretzky announced his retirement, and his final two games, in Ottawa and New York, were emotionally difficult.

When he retired after the season, the NHL retired his number 99 to ensure no one else would ever wear it.

Gretzky played in the NHL's All-Star Game every year he was in the league and was the first player to be named game MVP with three different teams. Internationally, his record is unparalleled among NHL players. After the World Juniors in 1978, he played in the World Championship in 1982, suiting up for his first game for Canada just 24 hours after the Oilers had been eliminated from the 1982 playoffs. The proudest of all Canadians ever to wear the national red and white sweater, he also played in each Canada Cup in 1981, 1984, 1987 and 1991. Each time he led the tournament in scoring, and only in his first year, 1981, did the team fail to claim the title of world champion.

Gretzky also participated in the 1996 World Cup, the replacement tournament for the Canada Cup, where Canada placed second for the first time to the United States. But perhaps Gretzky's greatest international honor came in late 1997, when he was selected to represent Canada at the 1998 Olympic Winter Games in Nagano, Japan. He was able to realize a boyhood dream, as the NHL shut down so that all the pros could represent their countries at those Olympics. Team Canada placed a disappointing fourth after losing in the semifinals on a shootout to Dominik Hasek and the Czech Republic, a result that was controversial for coach Marc Crawford since he didn't select Gretzky, the NHL's all-time leading scorer, to take one of the five penalty shots for Canada.

Of course, as soon as he retired he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, and in century-end polls he was consistently ranked the greatest hockey player of all time. Although the 1999-2000 season marked Gretzky's first year of retirement, he was hardly inactive. The Edmonton Oilers retired his number 99 at the start of the 1999-2000 season, and at the All-Star Game in Toronto in February 2000 his sweater was retired by the NHL in another special ceremony. Then, early in the summer, he became a minority owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, a move designed to help him get back in the game and one that also saved the franchise from moving because of ownership difficulties.

On June 2, 2000, Gretzky was introduced as the Managing Partner of the Phoenix Coyotes in charge of all hockey operations before officially beginning his role on February 15, 2001. During his time with the Phoenix hockey club, Gretzky was also named Head Coach of the Coyotes, accepting the coaching responsibilities in addition to his front office role.

In November of 2000, Gretzky was named Executive Director of Canada's 2002 Men's Olympic Hockey team. Duties included overseeing all hockey operations, and making the final decision on all personnel and player selections. He did indeed possess the Midas touch, turning all things to gold, Olympic Gold. However the road was anything but smooth. During the Salt Lake City Games, Gretzky challenged the media coverage and officiating, claiming it was "anti-Canadian". His rallying methods paved the way for Team Canada to claim the gold 5-2 over the USA, thus ending a 50-year Olympic drought for Canada's men's hockey teams.

Gretzky’s hockey career and endorsement deals have made him one of the most recognizable athletes in the world. His current corporate clients include Bigelow Tea, Breitling, Ford Canada, Pepsi Canada, Samsung Canada, McFarlane Toys and Upper Deck.

The restaurant in Toronto that bears his name, Wayne Gretzky’s, is now in its 17th year. And the Wayne Gretzky Fantasy Camp has enjoyed eight successful years in Arizona, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, Nevada.

On June 26, 2007, Gretzky announced the launch of Wayne Gretzky Estates Winery. Teaming up with winemakers who have won a number of international and domestic awards, Gretzky desired to celebrate Canadian winemaking while creating resources for the Wayne Gretzky Foundation. A portion of the net proceeds are donated to the Foundation.

The Wayne Gretzky Foundation is dedicated to helping disadvantaged youngsters throughout North America participate in hockey. The Foundation has held three successful hockey equipment drives in partnership with Ford Canada and raised over $300,000 at the annual Wayne Gretzky Foundation Golf Tournament.

In 2008, Gretzky hosted the inaugural Ford Wayne Gretzky Classic Presented by Samsung, an official stop on the PGA Nationwide Tour. The tournament, which was held in Clarksburg, Ontario at the Georgian Bay Club and The Raven Golf Club at Lora Bay, featured one of the tour’s largest purses - $800,099. Proceeds from the event went to the Wayne Gretzky Foundation.

Gretzky also gives his time to countless other charitable endeavors. He serves as Honorary Chairman of Ronald McDonald Children’s Charities in Canada, and is an Athlete Ambassador and Honorary Member of the Board of Trustees of Right to Play, an athlete driven humanitarian organization that uses sports to enhance child development in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the world. Gretzky also is a participant in “Hands That Shape Humanity,” a project for the Desmond Tutu Peace Centre.

For two decades, the ethereal Wayne Gretzky lifted hockey to new and dizzying heights while establishing himself as the greatest player of all time. He transcended hockey and was the most statistically dominant player in the history of North American team sports, an athlete who ranks with basketball’s Michael Jordan and soccer’s Pele as one of the greatest offensive forces in the history of any sport and a man whose name is mentioned in the same breath as Muhammad Ali as one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century.

Gretzky and his wife Janet have five children: daughters Paulina and Emma and sons Ty, Trevor and Tristan.

Biography courtesy of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

http://www.gretzky.com/

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hmmmm.... either no one is reading this thread and the latest challenge; or they are too shy?? Hey, think of this blog as a bartender... you can tell your personal thoughts without fear of reprisal or judgement. We are here to support each other - "Professional Development' through introspection and discussion.

Come on people... it's never too late to post your philosophy! You can do it!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: TomM

It is very difficult to teach players how to play away from the puck. Quick support, give a target, get open, make the easy play, go from offense to defense and defense to offense, 'attack so you can defend and defend so you can attack.'

Teaching Roles One, individual offensive skills, and Role Three, individual defensive skills is much easier because a player can work on these on their own. You need game situations to learn how to read the play and react to the cues to be effective in Game Playing Role Two, the offensive players without the puck and Game Playing Role Four, the defensive players away from the puck.

You can do drills to create some situations that mimic a real game but there is no decisions making. The players know it is a 2-1 or 3-3 etc., so they don't need to read the play and communicate with teammates.

It is important to play SAG and full ice games that create situations that require the players to support on offense and on defense after they have scanned the ice and read what the situation is and then make the appropriate decision.

Last night I worked on close support, facing the puck, giving a target, looking around before you get the puck by playing three full ice games.

Game One:
Full ice game of 8 on 8 with the rule that there must be at least on pass in each zone. We played for 7 minutes and I enforced the rule. The score ended up 0-0 so both teams skated across and back because neither team won.

Game Two:
Full ice game 8 vs 8 of Baggo and the rule of that is that you get 2 touches or one second with the puck. This game requires very quick decision making. Score was 1-0 and the losing team went across and back once.

Game Three:
Full ice game of 4-4 Baggo with 45" shifts, Pass back to the your goalie when the whistle goes to end the shift. The score was 2-1 and the losing team skated one across and back.

These games automatically cause the players to get their heads up, give and go, face the puck, give a target, give close support and a lot of other positive playing habits. Other by products of the games are fitness, fun and competitiveness.

Agreed! The best way to teach players 'how' to play away from the puck (roles 2 and 4) is to SHUT UP and let them play! (This also goes for 1 v 1 up to 5 v 5).

As coaches, we have tried to understand and explain the game by over-analyzing the game. Like a complete genetic code, we have broken it down into such small parts (individual strands of DNA), that when we reconstruct them, they no longer resemble the game. It becomes, at best, a mutated whole... like Jeff Goldblum in "The Fly!" A 2 v 1 or 3 v 2 'drill' does not completely, truly replicate the same situation within a game.

"The game is the best teacher!" Only by playing chaotic, unpredictable games will we truly prepare for the chaotic, unpredictable nature of the game! Patterns / predictable drills might look nice in practice when there isn't any pressure or any accountability (score kept / consequences), but they fall apart in a game! Pressure has a way of doing that... pressure that isn't replicated in traditional drill-oriented hockey practices.

I like how Tom identified what the needs of his players / team were, chose appropriate, purposeful 'games' to help reinforce the use of the individual skills and tactics / team tactics that were required, set the parameters of the 'games' and then 'policed' them... and he kept score!

It didn't sound like he 'told' them how and what to do - just provided the purpose of the games and the 'rules of engagement.' It was up to the players to interpret the rules (or ask questions) for clarification. This is an example of experiential discovery and implicit learning... the BEST way to create long-lasting change within each player! Yes, it might take longer to 'learn' things 'on their own', but you 'guide' them by asking 'leading' questions and by demonstrating patience.

DICTATOR COACHES THAT "TELL / YELL AT" THEIR PLAYERS WHAT TO DO ALL THE TIME ARE CREATING DEPENDENT ATHLETES - THIS IS EXPLICIT TEACHING. We should strive to create the opposite: independent thinkers. After all, we can't play the games FOR our athletes! We should be striving to structure the training environment so it accurately reflects the competitive (game) environment so the players feel like they have played in those competitive situations before (in practice) and are more comfortable doing so. Coaches - quit yelling "Stop / Pass / Shoot / Check" etc. (like lots of parents do) during the practice / game; Instead, calmly survey the situation and provide opportunities for guided discussion on the bench / in the room. "What did you see out there? Would you do anything differently next time? How would you change it? Can you try that next time and see how it works?"

Tom kept score and held the players accountable (reward / punishment system.) The players learned from their experiences. He probably debriefed them after each game... asking them what made them successful (or what challenged them / why did they struggle in ____? and how could you overcome these challenges next time... what specifically would you have to do?) and had them share these thoughts / learning with the group - using leading questions.

This is great coaching! This is why Tom is a successful coach; regardless of the scoreboard. He is creating smarter, better equipped players (and good people.) Hats off to you, Tom... "SIR"!

I suppose one could use these steps as a 'formula' to create excellent practices... Maybe I will put something together and post it later.
------------------------------------
Dean, thanks for the kind words.

Juhani Tamminen is a well known Finnish coach who is famous for his great practices ( he played on a line with Juhani Wahlsten at the end of Juuso's career). Hockey Canada asked him to present at one of the international conferences that they USED to put on every second year. Tamminen drew arrows across ice, full ice, 1/3 ice and put up 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 up to 5-5. He said play games with rules in these areas of the ice in order to create great players.

The delegates were not impressed as they wanted all sorts of elaborate drill but Tammy told them that this is what he did in his famous practices. 'use games to teach the game.' (that is the problem with teachers; they love to give lectures) We play the top team in the league on Sat. and then go to the tournament at Notre Dame next week and are in their division. They were Canadian champs last year.

In my school skills class we had two cross ice games and a one goalie game going and played games like; all must touch the puck before scoring and after you score all must score before you can score again. We also played Baggo '2 touches or 1" with the puck and goals must come from one timer shots." The other game was all must touch the puck but you must make an escape move before you can shoot or pass.

Tonight one of my goalies was sick so I had to modify practice to use only one goalie. We did a 2-2 transition game with a regroup and a hinge and then added a second regroup. We also did an attack, defend, rest rotation to practice the pp and pk using one goale.
I gave the players a sermon on 'deep practice' and how it differs from just showing up and going through the motions.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean - Great challenge / post. In the words of the Hanson bros, you got me "right in the mind" with the "know how much you care" quote.....I'm just starting to understand this through experience. Anyway, thanks for keeping things going. Busy times right now, but I'll try to post a response after our games this weekend.

Dave

Good stuff DaveM! Looking forward to hearing from you later.

Anyone else...? RK - you have been pretty quiet lately... and Kai?

Where are the usual suspects? ;)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I just received this tonight from Kevin Sullivan from the Rhode Island area. Kevin was an educator (retired), is active with USA Hockey and knows coaches all over the world. I feel privileged to have met him at the World Championships in Quebec City a few years ago (Tom introduced us) and I stay in touch with Kevin.

This article is 'bang on the money' given what I posted earlier today! Makes me want to meet Jack Blatherwick and talk hockey over a few pints of beer!

Enjoy the article... and THANK YOU Jack!

-----

Trial and error … then someday … trial and success

By Jack Blatherwick
Let’s Play Hockey Columnist

Bear with me hockey folks, while I insert a paragraph about round ball. To appreciate the genius of UCLA basketball coach John Wooden, we’d likely start with his record: 10 NCAA Championships, seven of those in consecutive years in which they won 38 straight playoff games.

In 40 years of coaching he had 885 wins for an .813 percentage. By comparison, Gopher basketball has had an excellent 120-year tradition, but never won an NCAA championship, appearing in the Final Four only once.

Why do I bring this up? As great as the Wooden record is, it doesn’t do justice to his skills as a coach. He is one of the greatest teachers in the history of sport, and every coach would be better after studying his approach.

Wooden was a strict disciplinarian; his teams repeated the most basic fundamentals every day; and yet, he encouraged creativity, and allowed players to learn by trial and error. “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything,” he often said. “You’ll be no better at the end of the season.”

So, to bring this brief discussion back to the hockey arena, I’ll offer an opinion that might be worth no more than what you paid for this copy of Let’s Play Hockey … exactly nothing.

At every level of hockey, I believe coaches could learn Wooden’s valuable lesson. We have too much structure that prevents players from learning by trial and error. We call them ‘systems,’ these X’s and O’s designed to prevent mistakes and limit creativity.

“Chip it out. Dump it in. No turnovers. No long cross-rink passes. Get it deep. Third man high (even though sometimes you could get the puck if you never heard the rule). Finish checks after the opponent passes (now I’m really irritating the junior coaches). No, no, no. Keep it simple.”

In other words, “Don’t try to be a Bobby Orr or a Wayne Gretzky, a Pavel Datsyuk or a Sidney Crosby.”

No game requires quicker, more creative read-react decisions than hockey. Therefore, young minds must not be cluttered with rules that slow this process down. The word “no” can’t possibly contribute to the development of the brain to integrate all the visual cues with past experiences to make the best instantaneous decisions.

If we want to develop more Gretzky’s we all better listen to the words of Coach Wooden.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I always find it interesting to read/hear the back stories on players. Sometimes they can tip the hand of how the player developed and give some insight to why they became what they became.

You have players who are always on the top teams and brought along to be the next best thing. Then you have players from remote places who go about their merry way with no fan fare as they continue to work their butts off to become elite (ie Claude Giroux played hockey in Hearst Ontario till his bantam year and then from there played lower Jr A since he was passed over in the Major Jr draft)

I feel that players are better off honing their skills for coaches/teams who care very little about wins and losses. Wooden is a great inspiration for me but I find it is easier to take on his methods in a low stress coaching enviroment than a high stress one.

RWF,

I also enjoy hearing about how others 'get to the top' of their profession. Are there any commonalities? What can I take away from there to make myself or my coaches / kids even better? That's why I post some articles on players - how they got there. I find lots on The Hockey News site.

Players from remote (smaller) places might have an edge in ice time and coaching, etc. There was a study recently done (can't remember or find it but I might have posted it on here somewhere!) and it said that the majority or pro athletes in almost all sports (Football, Hockey, Basketball, PGA, LPGA, etc... but there was one sport where this may or may not be the case - baseball?) come from a hometown of less than 500,000 people. Come to think of it, there are LOTS of places 500,000 or less, so maybe this is to be expected... there aren't many places over 500,000!

True development occurs when the big picture is kept in mind - performance over outcome (I will post an example of this below.). Even as a volunteer minor sport coach, people expect you to win... if you don't, you might not get 're-hired' back next year for another volunteer position! It's a sad statement... but true.

Wooden came from and coached in a different era. The 'X-Box athletes' are different today. I am not sure that even he could replicate this degree of success (especially championships in a row!); but I would like to think he would still be fairly successful. The old adage, "They don't care how much you know, till they know how much you care" still works today - I have lived it. I guarantee it!

I am thinking about starting a new thread regarding 'how' to coach... stay tuned. You and RK and DaveM have been inspiring my thoughts through your comments and questions.

Also, check out the "books for coaches to read thread". I will be posting two more that I am reading right now that I HIGHLY recommend. They are about how to treat people properly and how this positively impacts your coaching.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

My coaching philosophy. In Short Oops!

Honesty
I want to be honest and open to my players.

LTPD, Coaches are there for the players, not the other way round.
I'm responsible for tools that player takes with him when he/ she moves on.
In my case where players are near puberty, are my practices good enough to give the base to build on? maybe results come after 5 years. Do you "give up" that win today because you're training hard for the LTPD and the future of the player?

Be hungry for knowledge, you can always learn more
Learn from other coaches, sports etc.
I'm Thankful for Tom for this greate site, (been here since 2002, more or less)
Thanks to Dean for introducing me to a TGFU and Game Sense approach.

Kai

Quote by: TomM

Notre Dame Tournament Update:

We really couldn't have played much better but what happens is that when you are totally dominating a game the feeling is that you are up by about 5 goals and some carelessness creeps in and players lose a little intensity. I think we have all been in games you lose that you deserve to win and games that you win that you deserve to lose. After the first period I told my asst. coach that I had a bad feeling about the game. We played so hard in our first game of the day that we just weren't hungry enough on rebounds or walk ins to finish. When you have seen thousands of games you start to see patterns like a chess master when he looks at the chess board and recognize that something is amiss. I am to the point now that I can predict a goal about 3-5 seconds before because you see either the defense out of sync or the attackers creating something.

Their goalie had a great game and we didn't finish when we had many many chances. That is the problem with letting teams hang around even though the game is one sided. It is a real challenge for the goalie to keep focused when they are getting a shot every 5 or 6 minutes.

Tom,

I found your comment on being able to 'predict' a goal 3-5 seconds before it happens (as it happens) very interesting. In hindsight, I have had my share of those moments in the past too, but I never really attributed it to anything. I guess I just didn't think about or analyze them all that much. I just figured everybody feels them? When you likened them to the chess master who has played for thousands of hours and 'sees' things appearing on the board, it was a very interesting comparison and makes perfect sense to me! I wonder how many other people 'feel' this way? (Or the sense of relief when a 'sure thing' opportunity DOESN'T convert against you... or the feeling of OH CRAP I CAN'T BELIEVE WE MISSED THAT when your team DOESN'T convert!)

You comment on finishing... "...we didn't finish when we had many many chances." As a suggestion, using our Game Intelligence Model, we always keep score and then hold the kids (and goalies) accountable after the games. (Skaters or Teams compete against each other; goalies compete against each other). The winners get a drink; the losers do pushups and situps (numbers depend on how many 'teams' we are using... winner = 0; next best score = 5/5; 10/10; 15/15, etc.) Kids are naturally competitive and they really like playing these games - they always want to know the score! Holding kids accountable really increases their focus and desire / consistency to 'bear down' whenever they get scoring chances!

Although seemingly punitive in nature, it is to help train their fitness and we preface it this way. "You are getting better with every pushup and situp you do!" Sometimes, even the winners do some so they 'keep even' with the players who lose!

(Goalies - we might substitute 10 up / downs or pad stacks or sliding saves or crease patterns. Extra training to help make them better.) Everything we do is to help make the kids better. So similar to Bruce Brown's positive conditioning (intent is to get better) but with out own slant.

This leads me to what happened today. We did two sessions this morning where we played "The Time Machine" 3 v 3 (two games going x-ice at the same time) - one with 2000's, 2001's and 2002's (all Div 1-3 within the age categories) and one with Grade 7's (age? 1997's - all Div 3-7 within their age categories; so less skilled and a wider variety than our younger group). Each group requires 4 nets / goalies and we had 24 skaters - 8 teams of 3 players each - perfect! Once we gave them the parameters of the game and the "rules of engagement", you should have seen the focus and intensity of these kids! The kids are waiting impatiently for the scores at the end of the games!

It has taken years of experimentation (trial and error) but we have had incredible success with structuring the environment this way. (Smart Transitional Games - design and apply game-like, purposeful games; provide parameters; keep score; reinforce rules; accountability as to the scores; let the game teach the game; at the end, ask open-ended questions of the kids to see what they see / what they are learning (IMPLICIT LEARNING) - we don't TELL them... we want to create, encourage and nurture problem-solving, decision-training and independent athletes.)

Coaches who train the drill way or hybrid coaches struggle with our way; until they open their mind and give it a fair chance - several times. It has to become a habit to replace the old 'whole-part-whole' paradigm they have been taught - first as players and now as coaches.

Today's explicit coaches have a tendency to jump in and want to 'tell' / (yell) the kids how to do stuff... it takes practice to 'have patience', sit back, shut up while they are playing; and then use open-ended questions to guide kids to recognized the most important concept or two. It's tough when you are used to the current teaching model (developed as a byproduct of the Industrial Revolution - which in my opinion, and that of many others, is outdated! Watch Sir Ken Robinson's two presentations on www.Ted.com for more... or read Tony Wagner's "Global Achievement Gap"... we coaches / teaches need to adapt our training methodologies (or perish!) to reflect what the kids need... and want!

As for the "Time Machine" game description, amongst the hundreds of others, I am working on a book and when it is ready, I will let everyone know.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: Kai K

My coaching philosophy. In Short :oops:

Honesty
I want to be honest and open to my players.

LTPD, Coaches are there for the players, not the other way round.
I'm responsible for tools that player takes with him when he/ she moves on.
In my case where players are near puberty, are my practices good enough to give the base to build on? maybe results come after 5 years. Do you "give up" that win today because you're training hard for the LTPD and the future of the player?

Be hungry for knowledge, you can always learn more
Learn from other coaches, sports etc.
I'm Thankful for Tom for this greate site, (been here since 2002, more or less)
Thanks to Dean for introducing me to a TGFU and Game Sense approach.

Thanks for posting Kai!

"Players don't care how much you know... until they know you care!" That is true honesty!

Hmmm... new tagline!?

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Now, about that dead parrot...!"

- Michael Jordan... speaking to the Monty Python guys

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Here is a great comment on the "Big Picture v Little Picture" ... in response to RWF's post above:

Jim Thompson, a proponent of Positive Coaching, has described his favorite “Family Circus” comic strip. It is set in the middle of the night. Barfy, the family dog, is barking up a storm. The dad gets out of bed, irritated that he’s been awakened from a much-needed sleep. He yells at the dog, which hangs its head.

Then the cartoonist pans back so that we see a larger view. In the far corner of the yard, a burglar is retreating, unseen by the dad.

We, who see the “Big Picture”, know that the dog’s barking has protected the family from burglary. The dad, who sees only the “Little Picture”, is angry at the dog for disturbing him.

This cartoon can serve as a metaphor for youth sports. Youth coaches and parents can be overwhelmed by an enormous amount of Little Pictures filled with barking dogs. These Little Pictures often have a compelling power to obscure the Big Picture.

How our children do in any given sporting event is the Little Picture. Whether they win or lose, play well or badly, laugh or cry after the game – it’s all the Little Picture. Most will never play professionally – it’s just a game! What children take away from youth sports is to help them become successful and fulfilled in life is the Big Picture. Remaining physically active throughout life, learning to bounce back from difficulties with renewed determination, discovering how to support other people within a team and greater community context – this is the Big Picture.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Pavlovian Dogs, Whistles, Coaches and Players...

Yesterday, I asked the teacher responsible for running the session of Grade 7 kids to 'get rid of his whistle' during a warmup shooting drill - you know, the same static, stand around in lines and wait while another kid skates a pattern old-school boring hockey drill - then jump to attention when the coach blows his whistle - to signal to the next kid in line that it is finally his turn? (Can you detect my sarcasm yet?)

The teacher complied and guess what? The boring drill didn't fall apart. What do you think happened?

Here's more background: Before telling the teacher to get rid of the whistle, I told all the kids 'when' to go and that they had to make their own judgement 'when' to go.

After practice, I asked the teacher two questions.

1) "What did you (teacher) do when you quit worrying about controlling the drill with your whistle?"

2) "What did the kids do when you quit blowing your whistle? How did it affect the kids?"

Think about this on your own and feel free to post your own responses. Ask yourselves what you would do (as a coach) in this situation (Q # 1) and what would your players do (Q #2)? Better yet, try it and see for yourselves. There is no substitute for experience!

(I will answer later...)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1) "What did you (teacher) do when you quit worrying about controlling the drill with your whistle?"

I think I would stop focusing on when to whiste and on what the kids were doing?

2) "What did the kids do when you quit blowing your whistle? How did it affect the kids?"

Kids allso would stop to focusing on the whistle, they would observe more what's going on when there is some visual mark to start?

I do some times use whistle in my drillsspecially when they are new to players. like to use drills that activates as many player as possible. So it's kind of safety issue at first. But when the drill is familiar to players, I lose the whistle.

Actually I've really cut down the amount of drills we do. I use few good passing drills where we can get much repetition. But other than that they are waste of time.

Kai

Kai,

Thanks for posting! I was wondering if everybody else was 'frozen out' by the site? Or just busy before Christmas, so not replying to these posts?

I think I would stop focusing on when to whistle and on what the kids were doing?

YES! My teacher friend Rob said he quit worrying about 'managing' the 'drill' and instead, he focused on the specifics as to what / how the kids were doing. He interacted more with the kids; talking to them in line while they waited. He provided feedback and opened up the lines of communication. (Knowing Rob, it was explicit feedback / direction... I still have more work to do with him!... but nonetheless, this shows the kids he cares and helps build more rapport.)

As mentioned, before I told Rob to put away his whistle, I told the kids they would be starting the drill on their own; they needed to watch when the person ahead of them hit a certain point - then they themselves left. So they were responsible for managing their own drill.

Kids also would stop to focusing on the whistle, they would observe more what's going on when there is some visual mark to start?

YES! As mentioned, the kids now took responsibility as to when to start... by NOT having to listen to the Pavlovian whistle, this increased focus / intensity and forced the kids to keep their heads up... watching and waiting. They had to make the decision when to go! We remove the auditory cue so the kids had to rely on the visual! This is the foundation of creating heads-up play.

Kai, I am encouraged to hear you do less drills and more games. I agree - sometimes one does rely on the whistle, but if one can change their coaching so that this is minimized, the 'drills' / activities become inherently more valuable for the players (more focus, intensity, heads-up play, decision-making, etc) thus improving Game Intelligence!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The task / question over Christmas: As a coach, how do you deliver feedback to your players? What 'technique' do you employ?

Can you provide an example of what you see and how you follow up with your players?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I like the players to start drills on their own and only use the whistle to end an activity or to stop everyone if there seems to be confusion. I also like to have routines that the players know such as an edges and balance sequence we do at the start of most practices. The exercises are the same but sometimes with a puc and sometimes ending with a shot. I also have some passing sequences that run themselves and create lots of passing situations.

Games and transition games can also be learned as routines. The players use the same area of the ice with similar rules but the coach adds variations to work on details.

All of these routines free the coach to observe and interact with the players instead of being a traffic cop with a whistle.

It is important for coaches to stand in places where they can talk with players. i.e. at the end of the lineup on the boards in transiton games to make it easy to talk with the player when they are recovering and waiting for the next rep.

Questioning in the Guided Discovery style of teaching is a good method but not the only effective method. Sometimes Command Style when you show efficient technique is the best. Other times you just leave the players alone and allow the Game to Teach the Game through 'Tacit Learning.'

We all learn differently and coaches have to use many teaching styles to reach the maximum number of players.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Since we're not at Christmas just yet and I wanted to weigh in on the philosophy question, I'd like to share something I put together for my coaching portfolio.

Some background first, I only coached as an assistant for one season for a first-year ACHA program, but have been around the game and sports most of my life first playing them growing up and now as a sportswriter covering pro and college sports although I really want to get back to coaching.. I like to say "The game doesn't need me, but I need the game." Going to the rink or the ballpark everyday is nice and all, but I still feel so removed from the emotions of being a part of the team and making a difference to the players. Even with college kids it was great seeing the confidence and development from September to the end of the season.

So without further adieu...

My coaching philosophy begins with people. Marc Crawford once said that a coach coaches in one of two ways: The way that he was coached, or the way that he wanted to be coached. I’ve played and worked with enough coaches to realize that my style is based on a little bit of both.

I want to create a “family” atmosphere within the team. In creating this atmosphere it gives the players and staff a stake in the success. It is through communication and empowerment that everyone feels like a part of the team. By “keeping them out of the loop” they start to feel alienated and stop seeking to achieve the goals of the team.

This also creates trust within in the team. The players trust the coach; the coach trusts the players; the players trust each other. This to me is the fundamental part of bringing a team together. So much so, that I believe the term team building is a bit of a misnomer, I prefer the term trust building.

I also believe that a coach is nothing more than a teacher. At this level, it is a matter of teaching players how to be successful both in hockey and in life.

On the ice

I believe in a disciplined aggressiveness. Defensively we challenge the opponent all the way up the ice. Make the other team make a mistake in its defensive end so we can capitalize on the offensive end. Offensively, a lot depends on the talent. With a big strong team, the goal should be to get the puck down low and use size to advantage. With a smaller, quicker team, use that to our advantage by using speed and skill to quickly bring the puck up the ice to generate offense. I will go into further detail in Section 3: Systems.

Off the ice
I’m a big believer in communication. Today’s athlete doesn’t do something just because a coach or manager says so. It is important to get the point across on why something must happen, not just that it must. I create an open environment for the players to talk about anything and everything whether it involves hockey or not.

In addition, I believe in extensive use of video however not to the point of overkill. At the professional and college level with practice time limited by the volume of games as well as the travel, I feel that video is one of the best teaching methods available if used judiciously with the players. I also use the video to grade each player after every game.

I break the season up into smaller game segments after which I meet with every player to discuss his play over this stretch. With the grading system and video, it is easy to point to a game or games and point out what was working or not with a particular player or line. If an issue needs to be addressed immediately, it will be whether or not it is the end of a segment.

Also, I maintain an open door policy for the players with myself and the staff. I know some may be reluctant to discuss things with the head coach, which is why it is important for the assistant coach/coaches to also be available to the players. I also subscribe to the theory of having a “leadership group” and try to meet with them at least every other week to go over any concerns they may have and get their input.

It would be foolhardy to think that all players must be treated the same way. But what I have developed is the TEAM=GOAL concept. TEAM=GOAL stands for Trust, Execution, Accountability and Motivation equals a Greater Overall Achievement Level. If the players can put out the four variables it will lead to achieving the goals of the team. It essentially is getting the players to commit to a total team effort.

Kevin, it sounds like a good template for a season plan. You have a lot of communication and that is always good.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Kevin,

I am glad you have been doing your homework and posted this! It is good for all of us to revisit our philosophies - at least annually if not more often! I try to re-read mine at least every month - sometimes more often than that. I find in tough times, it helps me re-affirm why I am doing what I do... and it helps get me through challenges.

Regarding video: keep it short - under 10 minutes at most. Kids are wired differently these days. If you only provide a couple of clips in total, that is fine!

Love your acronym: TEAM=GOAL! Well done! Stay principled and honour the spirit of the game!

I will second Tom's comments: communication is a critical link with your players. I have said it before and I will say it again - "They don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Again, well done!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

John and I did a dryland Game Intelligence session for my BVHS today. We were expecting 34 kids, but as it was the last day of school, we ended up with 15 able-bodied and a couple with injuries. So we had to modify our plan. We had 50 minutes to play three games: One End Zone; End to End; Team Scoring Tournament (3 vs 3 with 5 teams). The last two games focus on the successful, strategic application of transition through the use of support. It went well, but we wished we would have had more kids as we wanted to run the Time Machine - but we need at least 18 kids for that!

We had Theresa Maxwell and her husband, Don, out to watch and provide us with feedback. Theresa is a retired U of Calgary Kinesiology professor who heavily promoted Teaching Games for Understanding during her teaching tenure and her husband taught public school, coached football (among other sports) and oversaw the Calgary High School Athletic System for both public and Catholic Boards. Another coach I have evaluated and mentored (now coaching Junior B in BC) came to watch and to gain further insights on our Game Intelligence methodology.

We discussed the session for a couple of hours afterward and learned a lot from Theresa and Don. I took four pages of notes; as did John! We learned a lot of ways to further fine-tune our approach! Theresa and Don have over 50 years of teaching and coaching experience EACH; one can't help but learn from such wonderful mentors! Thanks to both of them for coming out to watch and share their insights... boy was it a privilege!

I will be meeting with my Junior B coach after Christmas as a followup to today's session and to discuss any planning concerns he may have for the last third of his season. Should be fun!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I met with a Junior B coach from BC this morning. We discussed how to get volunteer board members to work well together (leadership through influence) and how to best structure the board. We discussed how it takes time to change the culture of a program at the bottom and how patience and 'keeping the big picture in mind' are important. Educating the board members that winning isn't the only measure of success - even at the Junior B level - it must take into account academics, citizenship, individual player development (graduating to the next level) probably even moreson than winning. If you can achieve high marks in all of these, you have a strong process (a good program) and you will probably 'see' a successful outcome (winning). We talked about how important it is as a coach / GM to carry oneself with high morals and ethics because this will allow one to look in the mirror at the end of each day... keep your personal values intact and do what is right for the team. We didn't have time to get into player development, but I hope I will get the chance to go watch / run a practice in January for him. (We wanted to follow up on the TGfU session last week and will do so in the future.)

Following that, I met with one of the A/C's from Slovakia. I went and watched their practice (and saw the end of the Russian's and the Swedes) but we really talked about the game itself; the challenges surrounding development in both our countries, as well as in other countries.

We also talked about coaching methodologies and how we can improve the education of coaches with mentorship and ongoing clinics - rather than merely providing them with an academic weekend seminar to achieve certification and then 'throw them to the wolves'. We both agreed that we need to do a better job of supporting the coaches AFTER the initial clinics AND we should ensure we provide lots of useful material (delivered in a meaningful / practical way) during the seminar. Right now, we see lots of room for improvement in these areas - all across the globe!

We talked about the concussion issue - how we think fighting will be gome in 5-10 years (due to heavy penalties and suspensions) and perhaps changing the men's / boys body contact rules to mirror that of the women - no head-on or open ice hitting; only angling and finishing along the boards - to allow the "pure skills" to be displayed.

Skill-wise, it was neat to see the Slovaks off-ice warmup prior to and after the practice. (And the Swiss, Russians, etc.!) They all used a soccer ball (or rubber ball) to juggle and pass with their feet and heads. They did lots of individual stick and ball warmups too.

The hand-eye coordination of these young players is amazing. Thanks to the preponderance of online media (YouTube, etc.) and more emphasis on skills in today's game (plus more skill academies), I saw lots of creative stuff! Rob Cookson, longtime NHL coach remarked to me that these are "YouTube Tricks" and not applicable in the game. I respectively disagreed; if a kid can perform stuff like this, he has shown that not only does he have the 'stick-to-it-ness' to work towards a goal and improve his eye-hand coordination, but he shows that he can imitate and or create moves... highly important in the game today where 45% comes down to winning the 1 vs 1 battles (one of the most overlooked components of the game, IMO)!

I saw a Slovak pick up the puck on his forehand, flip the puck AND HIS STICK up into the air, catch the stick so he was "shooting" with the oppoosite hand, then catch the puck with his flat blade... it fell off, but WOW! I also so many kids imitating Ryan Ellis from when he was playing in Windsor (OHL) - a TSN clip prior to the World Junior game showed him keeping the puck balanced ON THE BUTT OF HIS STICK while he whipped it around in the air (also on YouTube)!

I will try to see more international teams practice and play this coming week...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

European vs North American training and player development:

Interesting comment from the Slovak perspective: the handful of kids who left Slovakia to play Major Junior in North America, although the most skilled on the Slovak junior team, their fitness level as a group has decreased since they left. They have lost muscle mass (and weight) and appear to be struggling with nutrition. They are weaker than when they were at home.

Suggestions / possible reasons for this: At home, the Slovaks train intensively on and off-ice with a very taxing (but scientifically periodized) training program. They are on the ice several times per week (sometimes twice per day) as well as doing one to two dryland sessions per day. They typically play two games per week and still manage to schedule rest periods into their training blocks. These kids play against professional men; so strength, size and smarts are taxed to a high level every game!

In NA, they typically practice once per day (sometimes will have an extra session, but it is rare) and the off-ice is only formally done a couple of times per week. They usually play three games per week and have a brutal travel schedule (unlike the Slovak home schedule.) Games are against their age group peers.

In a perfect world, none of the Slovak kids would leave home for Major Junior - they would all stay home and train together (at least till they are 19-20 years old.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

2011 World Sport School Challenge - Team Finland

I watched two games today - Shattuck St. Mary's beat the Slovak National U17 team; and the Finland National U17 team hammered the hometown Edge Prep AAA team.

The Finns were AMAZING! I plan to go watch them play Shattuck tommorow for the Gold Medal. They put on an absolute CLINIC! Their essential skillset, combined with their creative, free-wheeling heads up play epitomized intelligent hockey!

You really need to see these Finns play. This was the best display of hockey I have ever seen IN MY LIFE; AT ANY LEVEL. This is the zen moment that I hope to one day achieve; to be behind the bench watching my kids completely dismantle an opponent with amazing heads-up, intelligent, skilled play!

It is 'the perfect model' of what I believe hockey should look like... independent problem-solverss (coaches free to enjoy the best seats in the house!), kids moving into holes, at the right times (multiple options), highly skilled, deceptive skills, change of pace, 1 v 1 confidence and ability... this from a pure 1995 team (with one 1996 - #29!) against a team of primarily 1994's and a few 1995's! WOW! Shattuck has three 1993's and a lot of 1994's; so it will be a size and strength battle... but even though the Finns were small in stature (and weight), their skating ability, balance and acceleration (not too mention vision!) made the "David's" outplay the "Goliath's"!

You might be able to watch it online. Not sure about a fee... but DAMN, if you can somehow buy the DVD from the Fin / Edge game, I recommend it!

http://hockeycanada.fasthockey.com/login.php

Here is the article:

-----

December 30, 2011
NR.177

FINLAND, SHATTUCK-ST. MARY’S TO PLAY FOR GOLD MEDAL AT 2011 WORLD SPORT SCHOOL CHALLENGE

CALGARY, Alta. – After posting semifinal wins Friday, Finland’s national under-17 team and Shattuck-St. Mary’s School will meet in the gold medal game at the inaugural World Sport School Challenge on Saturday night at the WinSport Canada Athletic & Ice Complex.

The game can be seen live via webcast at hockeycanada.fasthockey.com beginning at 5 p.m. ET/2 p.m. PT.

Finland knocked off the Edge School for Athletes (Calgary, Alta.) 13-2 in Friday’s late semifinal, while Shattuck-St. Mary’s (Faribault, Minn.) beat Slovakia’s national under-17 team 7-5 in the early game.

The Finns finished on top of the preliminary round with a perfect 3-0 record, including wins over Pursuit of Excellence (8-1), Okanagan Hockey Academy (11-1) and Shattuck-St. Mary’s (4-3), while Shattuck was fourth at 1-2, with a win over Slovakia (9-3) sandwiched around losses to Okanagan Hockey Academy (7-5) and Finland.

In Friday’s first semifinal, Shattuck-St. Mary’s got goals from seven different players to help earn its second win over Slovakia in as many chances. John Draeger, Jake Montgomery, Zach Stepan, Tyler Vesel, Noah Henry, Hunter Fejes and Carter Lukenda all scored the Sabres, who used four unanswered goals in the second period to open up a 7-3 lead through 40 minutes. Fejes finished with a goal and two assists, while Stepan, Vesel and Henry each had a goal and a helper.

In the late game, Jonatan Tanus, Jusso Ikonen and Jimi Kuronen had four points apiece as the Finns routed the Calgary-based Edge School. Kuronen scored all of his goals in a span of 7:38 of the third period to put the finishing touches on a performance that saw Finland score six times on the power play and outshoot the Edge School 53-19. The Finns had 10 players recorded at least two points in the victory.

The Edge School and Slovakia will meet in Saturday’s bronze medal game at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT. That game can also be seen live via webcast at hockeycanada.fasthockey.com.

Earlier Friday, Matt Saharchuk scored the game-winning goal with 8:11 to go as Pursuit of Excellence (Kelowna, B.C.) beat Okanagan Hockey Academy (Penticton, B.C.) 4-3 to earn fifth place in an all-British Columbia match-up.

The World Sport School Challenge was developed in line with a commitment made by Hockey Canada’s officers and branches, “to service sport schools and create a positive and flexible infrastructure that meets the needs of this Hockey Canada customer.” This is one of six priorities of focus the organization committed to earlier this year.

Across the country, Hockey Canada currently endorses about 10 sport schools, which have formal partnerships with educational institutions with the aim to enhance learning opportunities for students while also developing their hockey skills.

NOTE TO MEDIA: Please contact Kevin Bathurst, manager of school programs for Hockey Canada, at kbathurst@hockeycanada.ca or (403) 710-2203 for any interview requests.

For more information about the 2011 World Sport School Challenge, follow along via social media at www.Twitter.com/WSSChallenge and www.Facebook.com/WSSChallenge, and please visit www.HockeyCanada.ca/WSSC.

For more information: Kevin Bathurst Manager, School Programs

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean, when I was coaching for the Red Bulls U17 team we had 45 trainings a month. This included 4-5 team practices M-F and skill practices t-Th morning. They had 3 off ice sessions M-W-F and a skating treadmill session two games a week; sometimes F-Sat and sometimes Sat-Sun. They usually got Sunday off. The skill sessions were done with the U20 team and the Russian Jursinov came one week per month to work with them. The two pro teams had similar training but the games for the top team were Sun.-T-F, so their skill sessions were M-W morning.

So there is much more emphasis on skill development and core fitness.

When I was in Jihlava, Czech Republic they had a similar training schedule but the biggest difference was that the youth coaches were ALL former players who had great technique and they passed that on to the youth.

When talking with Slava Lener, the head of Czech Hockey, he told me that Czechoslovakia used to have 80 000 players. Now the two countries of Czech Republic and Slovakia only have a total of 32 000 youth hockey players. Compare that to about 500 000 for each of Canada and the USA and you can see that to be competitive they have to do a great job in player development.

Here in Calgary we have the same amount of AA and AAA teams as when the city had 300 000 instead of a million people. They try out for the quadrants at 13 and if they don't make it many quit. Attrition is 80% by the age of 14. In Europe they can't afford to cut players because they are not early maturers of born the first three months of the year. They try to keep everyone playing and train them to be skilled then wait for them to grow.

A school like the Edge should be able to match the skill development because they have two arenas and a field house to train the players.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

The Euros do it right! I would love to be a part of an organization, like Red Bull, that understands the correct blend of the art and science of coaching!

After speaking with the Slovaks about their training schedule vs. that which is predominant in North American junior hockey culture, and doing some introspection, it is obvious that we have a long way to go to improve to their level.

I agree that we in Canada and the US are 'getting away with quantity over quality' - based on our respective hockey enrollment numbers - when compared to Europe.

It would be nice to see North American sport schools, where they might have a little more input into steering the curriculum and schedule, shift to a more European-based training style and schedule. I would include the Edge school in that comment.

After seeing the Finns play yesterday (I can hardly wait for the game today!), I want to go to Finland to learn more about their way of training. I want to see it with my own eyes! Tom, if there is a chance to meet your Finnish friends while coaching the World Juniors, I would love to have that opportunity!

Kai - same goes for you. I would love to hear more about your philosophy of coaching / training and how things are done in Finland. Do you know any of the kids or coaches with this World Sport School Championship? I would love to watch them train... their off-ice warmup yesterday was outstanding. Not the typical mindless crap we do over here... lots of nervous system warmup, ABC's, reaction games, etc. I might try to record it today...

Maybe if I can get over to the TGfU conference north of London (UK) the second week in July, I can make a detour to Finland. Don't think I can attend the IIHF conference this year in Sweden / Finland... it is always poor timing for me as we are comitted to visiting relatives in Spokane. Not that I wouldn't want to go as I would always learn a few things, but I really don't want to sort through a ton of the 'usual hockey drivel from the tired old establishment' for only a few nuggets of gold... I don't give two sh1ts about the PP or PK systems or blah blah blah... I have enough binders and 'drills' of all that 'old crap'... I want to learn "more important things" (at least in my mind) about teaching methodologies, interpersonal communication (be the "ignitor of athletes") and the art / science of coaching. I don't need any more X's or O's to be successful. Keep the game simple and fun, relax, teach life lessons - be the best coach I can be and focus on the things that matter (the people in the game!)

Rant over....!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kai,

Thanks for the powerpoint "Conditioning training of hockey juniors" by Harri Hakkarainen, MD, MSc ( Sport Science) - delivered at the 2010 World Championships.

Lots of excellent points... speaks to the wonderful off-ice warmup Finland (and several other European countries) were using... A 'must read' for other coaches... hopefully you can see this is a long-term process that starts early!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Shattuck beat Finland for the gold medal... but it was a good game...

Shattuck-St. Mary's 5 - Finland 3

RASKOB’S NATURAL HAT TRICK LEADS SHATTUCK TO INAUGURAL WSSC GOLD

CALGARY, Alta. – Willie Raskob’s natural hat trick turned a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead and Shattuck-St. Mary’s scored three times on the power play as it won the inaugural gold medal at the World Sport School Challenge with a 5-3 win over Finland.

The loss was the first for the Finns, who had entered with a perfect 4-0 record – including a win over Shattuck – and had outscored its opposition 36-7.

After a tight-checking opening half of the first period it was the Finns who hit the scoreboard first just shy of the 13-minute mark, as Jimi Kuronen converted a power play opportunity for the Scandinavians.

But Shattuck pulled even on a power play of its own, with Raskob beating netminder Ville Husso with just 18 seconds to go in the opening 20 minutes.

Raskob continued to wield a hot stick early in the second, giving Shattuck its first lead just 39 seconds into the period, and completed his natural hat trick at 9:56 on another power play.

Zach Stepan made it a three-goal game just 60 seconds later, chasing Husso from the Finnish net.

The Finns got to within two late in the second period thanks to a beautiful individual effort by Artturi Lehkonen, and made it a one-goal game less than four minutes into the third, again off the stick of Lehkonen.

But that would be as close as the Scandinavians would get, as Hunter Fejes scored into an empty net with 58 seconds left to clinch it for Shattuck, which will take the gold medal south of the border to Faribault, Minn.

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
12:50 FIN 2 Jimi Kuronen (18 Aleksi Ainali, 9 Jonatan Tanus) PP
19:42 SSM 22 Willie Raskob (14 Tyler Vesel, 15 Zach Stepan) PP

Penalties:
11:54 SSM 19 Carter Lukenda (Tripping)
15:02 FIN 9 Jonatan Tanus (Interference)
17:56 FIN 4 Mikke Levo (Checking to the Head)
19:24 FIN 3 Alex Lintuniemi (Checking to the Head)
19:24 SSM 20 Ryan Schwalbe (Slashing)
Second Period
Goals:
00:39 SSM 22 Willie Raskob (14 Tyler Vesel, 15 Zach Stepan) PP
09:56 SSM 22 Willie Raskob (14 Tyler Vesel, 2 John Draeger) PP
10:56 SSM 15 Zach Stepan (17 Max Becker, 2 John Draeger) PP
17:51 FIN 12 Artturi Lehkonen (9 Jonatan Tanus) PP

Penalties:
09:29 FIN 9 Jonatan Tanus (Checking to the Head)
10:30 FIN 4 Mikke Levo (Checking to the Head)
11:09 FIN 4 Mikke Levo (Hooking)
12:58 SSM 4 Noah Henry (Hooking)
17:02 SSM 3 Matt McArdie (Checking to the Head)
18:47 SSM 2 John Draeger (Closing Hand on Puck)
Third Period
Goals:
03:39 FIN 12 Artturi Lehkonen (14 Jusso Ikonen)
19:02 SSM 18 Hunter Fejes EN

Penalties:
10:51 SSM 22 Willie Raskob (Spearing)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

An excerpt from "Defining skill variables between U16 national team and non- national team ice hockey players" by Ilkka Haapea
Bachelor`s Thesis - Degree Programme in Sport and Leisure Management, 2011

Several key points in here...!

I have posted the full study under the "Player Traits - What do you look for when choosing a player?" thread.

-----

"Also Hämäläinen prompts coaches to demand more from the players. If there is a skilled age group in a junior organization, invariably there is also demanding coach behind the players.

If players are guided and developed towards international ice hockey, coach has to place players into situation where they must perform at the limits of his or her skills. According to Hämäläinen (14.03.2011) high level games are the best coach for developing junior.

During high level games player must perform and use the abilities of versatile movements and the player has to use the motoric programs of open motor skills.

Through high level games player will also improve fast decision making skills in game situation that is required by Westerlund (1997, 536).

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

239 posts :: Page 5 of 8