239 posts :: Page 6 of 8
By: Likes:

Dean,

Have you ever run practice sessions with teams just understanding triangle hockey in all zones of the ice ?
No team breakouts or systems , but just understanding the concept of playing triangles with support in all situations.

How about games ?

Games where you stress triangles as the theme of your on ice session as a mentor ?

RK

Just returned from the Czech (5) vs. Slovakia (2) WJC game (thanks for the tickets, Igor!) Too bad the Slovaks couldn't beat their arch-rivals. It was a testy contest... clearly these two teams don't like each other.

RK as for the answer to your questions: Yes. 3 v 3 works very well!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Good stuff from the "Hockey by Bauer" site:

http://www.hockeybybauer.com/about.html

-----

What's Different about "Hockey By Bauer"?

One of the comments we often hear when explaining our format is, "will anybody be teaching them anything?" Dave Peterson, former Minnesota high school and USA Olympic coach once said, "The ice is the best coach, it never says no." We believe the basic concepts of hockey are quite simple and the best way to learn them is by playing the game. Win the race to the puck, once you have the puck learn how to keep it, control it, protect it, find yourself time and space. If you don't have the puck, learn how to find open space so you'll get a pass or learn how to support a teammate and pick up a loose puck. Your successes are rewarded with puck possession, passes that turn into assists and scoring opportunities that turn into goals. When those concepts become engrained you have now developed that hockey sense that is so crucial to being a good player. We at Hockey by Bauer won't throw out the puck and drink coffee, but we will let the ice, and the game itself become the teacher as much as possible. There won't be a lot of long lectures and at times it may even look a bit chaotic, welcome to "rat hockey!"

What the Experts Say...

"I would tend to lean on letting them have fun and putting them in an environment where my drills have a game involved in it. Through those type of small games and how those kids do it will make them enjoy coming to the rink and looking forward to coming back."

-Mark Johnson, Head Coach Badger Women-2006 National Champions

"Everything is so organized and programmed these days that the kids don't have an opportunity to just be kids. It used to be the kids would do it themselves. They'd go down to the rink and play by themselves or get a pick-up game organized. They didn't have video games, DVD's or computers, or a coach telling them what to do. They played to occupy time."

-Don Lucia, head coach of Minnesota Gophers

"We can do a better job of ice utilization. I cringe when I see a team with 14 skaters out there using a full sheet of ice. Most of it is wasted. Practice time can be far more productive. Why not have 3 or 4 teams on the ice, especially at the mite & squirt level. Play cross-ice games where the kids are in smaller space and will learn skating and stick skills. Play shinny hockey-there would be a lot more development."

-Don Lucia, head coach of Minnesota Gophers

"Fact: for more than 50% of the ice time rented for games, the puck is not in play! That's right. If bantams or pee wees have an hour and a quarter they'd be hard pressed to play three 12-minute stop-time periods. Put a stop watch on the ref sometime in a youth game and you'll see he has his hand on the puck for about 52% of the ice time. Now, what kind of development is that?"

-Jack Blatherwick, author 'Overspeed Speed Training for Hockey'

"Everything that happens in full ice will happen in cross ice, only they will happen more often."

-Bill Beaney, Middlebury College (477 career wins, 8-D3 National Championships)

"We've realized in the last few years that you don't develop skills in youth players, playing games on a full sheet of ice. We need to get back to practicing more."

-Cory McNabb, Manager of Player Development Canadian Hockey Association

"The pee wee player handles the puck an average of 35 to 45 seconds a game on full ice. That's more than 100 games for an hour of quality puck time. If you want to be a carpenter and never use a saw, how good can you be?"

-George Kingston, Canadian Olympic Development Program

"I sometimes think we should put pucks on the ice, leave a couple of parents to supervise and the rest of us go in and drink coffee. The kids would love it. It's the parents who need the games. Well it's really not entertainment for the parents. It's suppose to be fun for the kids!"

-Ray Lalonde, Toronto Area Youth Hockey Coach

"Games are the least effective development tool & most expensive per minute of time on the ice. We continue to ignore the facts that playing more games & practicing occasionally is self-defeating & a contradiction to what we say we want for our children."

-Hal Tearse, USA Hockey & Minnesota Amateur Hockey

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Looks like I will be joining Gaston in Switzerland to do a week long camp next August. There will be lots of games using full, half, quater, etc. areas of the ice. It is in a village that is close to both Italy and Austria. Should be a lot of fun.

At our camps Gaston instructs skating and I do the hockey.

Hockey is popular in Switzerland and is growing in other parts of the world. A link to the growth of hockey in the Arab World is:
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/article/arab-hockey-boom.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=955&cHash=3978c1413f

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Lucky you Tom!

Here is the article plus one with an aspiring female New Zealand hockey player.

-----

Arab hockey boom: Emirates need more rinks to cope with increasing demand

MARTIN MERK, IIHF.COM, 31-07-11

ABU DHABI – There are several places where demand for hockey is increasing much faster than the rink capacities.

There are countries in colder regions with needs of more infrastructures. Last summer for example we reported about the situation in Iceland where, paradoxically, there’s not enough ice for the growing number of players and teams. But ice hockey is also flourishing in regions many people might not imagine it. For example: in the United Arab Emirates and other Gulf States.

Even though the temperature is hotter than 40°C (100°F) these days, there are quite some people who think about playing ice hockey despite the heat. Or one could say because of it. Winter sports have become trendy in the oil-rich country. Apart from four ice rinks, the Emirates also hit the headlines when a 22,500-square metre indoor ski resort opened in Dubai in 2005.

The International Ice Hockey Federation has hosted several events on the Arab peninsula, such as the Challenge Cup of Asia, or the recent Asian Hockey Development Camp in Abu Dhabi.

“Ice hockey has been growing rapidly in popularity in the Middle East,” said Jukka Tiikkaja, the IIHF’s Asian Sport Development Manager. “One main challenge is to find people to drive the grassroots programs rather than just focusing on national team activities.”

For a long time the United Arab Emirates, who became an IIHF member in 2001, haven’t been very active internationally although games have been played since the ‘70s. While the focus was first to build a national team, which participated in one IIHF World Championship Division III in 2010, the country’s hockey body founded a permanent national league in 2009 with two Arab and three expat teams in three cities.

The United Arab Emirates currently list 532 ice hockey players, including 40 female players. Four years ago there were only 195 players registered in the country. But the growth also brings problems with the existing infrastructure for ice sports.

“The United Arab Emirates are an ideal example of the possibilities you have when there are resources and, more importantly, people with enthusiasm and vision,” Tiikkaja said.

“Three years ago the focus was around the senior national team, and junior programs were virtually non-existent. This strategy has changed and it has had a remarkable impact with the demand exceeding the supply.”

For the players, teams and hockey schools that face problems getting ice time at the rinks there’s hope for change. The National reported recently that the government is set to sanction the construction of two new ice rinks in Abu Dhabi, the Emirati capital, to help satisfy growing interest in ice hockey and underline the national team’s ambitions to climb up the ladder in the IIHF World Championship program.

“We have been talking to the government about building two rinks at Zayed Sports City where the present one stands,” Mohamed Aref, the country’s ice hockey technical director, told the newspaper.

“We need more ice rinks and I believe that will happen. Right now we have one Olympic-sized venue in Dubai [at Dubai Mall], one in Al Ain and this one in Abu Dhabi. Just imagine if we get to 2015 with the same amount of rinks. By that time the sport will have grown even more. How would we cope with so many people?”

Aref believes that the increasing demand comes not only from the hockey schools and clubs founded in the last ten years, but also because of the success of the national team. Not many Arab athletes bring home medals and trophies from international sport events, but the ice hockey national team has won the Challenge Cup of Asia in 2009 and the bronze medals in the Premier Division of the 2011 Asian Winter Games.

“I had heard this is going to happen and that is unbelievable,” national team player Faisal Saeed said about the plans of building new rinks. “I’m so proud of how big ice hockey has become in my country and the structure we have now. However, we do need more rinks.

“There are a lot of kids waiting to play this sport, but we don’t have enough ice time for them. If we had more rinks, then we could really move the sport forward. We need to expand and I hope we do that.”

Now the Emirati want to look up to the top nations with the prospect of additional rinks. They think about an entry in the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program for 2013. The first goal is to qualify for the Division III, but the dream is to become the first Arab team to challenge the traditional powerhouses from North America and Europe in the Top Division one day.

Prior to that, the Emirati Ice Hockey League will kick off its third season on 5th October with the same five teams, but there are talks about a sixth team in the future if such a team could be competitive.

While the UAE has been the most successful Arab nation in hockey so far, there are other countries from the Middle East that have discovered ice hockey.

Kuwait also started the game in the ‘80s and rejoined the IIHF in 2009 after a period of inactivity. Its national team has played in two Challenge Cups of Asia and in the Asian Winter Games and has won some games in these tournaments, although it couldn’t overcome its Arab rival from the UAE.

Kuwait has 229 players and two ice rinks. One of them hosted the Challenge Cup of Asia in April.

Ice hockey is a chance for many kids to try something new with a cool and modern flavour. Compared to sports that are more established in these countries, ranging from camel racing to football to water sports, it’s kind of a break from the standard pattern of the sport landscape.

Same as in the Emirates, the percentage of women and girls playing ice hockey is surprisingly high. Actually, Kuwait has the highest percentage of female participation among all 70 IIHF member nations with 37.1 per cent (85 out of 229 players) and also the UAE’s number of 7.5 per cent is higher than in most European top-tier countries where ice hockey used to have the image of being a sport for tough guys only.

In nations where ice hockey is something rather new and there’s no gender bias in the hockey family, it seems to be a different story and girls enjoy playing the sport same as boys do.

Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates are the only IIHF members from the Arab peninsula (Morocco from North Africa is another Arab country in the IIHF), but ice hockey is in the fledgling stages in other countries of the Middle East as well.

The national team of Bahrain appeared on international ice for the first time in the 2011 Asian Winter Games, but the team was not able to cope with its opponents yet, conceding between 15 and 29 goals each game.

One year ago, Kuwait City hosted the first Gulf Ice Hockey Championship that included two new national teams, Saudi Arabia and Oman. The teams were also struggling with their more experienced opponents from Kuwait and the UAE, but Saudi Arabia won its first international hockey game, 3-1 against Oman.

Another Gulf state has avoided international hockey yet. Qatar had to cancel its participation in the Asian Winter Games in the last minute, but the country that was in the spotlight for its successful 2022 FIFA World Cup bid held its first national ice hockey championship last season. Qatar 1 became champion after defeating Sand Storm 5-2 in the final match. Qatar 2 and Desert Heat were the other teams in the league that included Qatari and expat players.

-----

And another interesting article with a New Zealand gal...

Kiwis on ice: NZL's Libby-Jean Hay competing in skills challenge

Paul Romanuk, IIHF.COM, 19-01-12

INNSBRUCK – Participants in the 2012 Youth Olympic Winter Games Hockey Skill Challenge event have come from far and wide to compete in Innsbruck. Likely none of them had as long a flight to Austria as Libby-Jean Hay of New Zealand, who will be competing in tonight’s final. IIHF.com’s Paul Romanuk caught up with Hay to discuss ice hockey in her native country.

New Zealand ice hockey, how does that happen?

(laughs) I actually don’t know myself, but we did make it here, myself and Callum (Burns-the New Zealand-born participant in the men’s event) also are in the top eight. New Zealand is a small country and ice hockey is not big, but it is getting a lot bigger, a lot of women players are coming in from inline hockey and they’ve made a big difference, they’re very skilled and it’s made New Zealand ice hockey stronger.

How did you get into it?

I got into it at about the age of ten, I did figure skating since I was three. I’m from a big family of seven and I have five brothers and they all play ice hockey, I watched them my whole life and so I decided to give it a go and here I am!

We’re pure New Zealanders. My oldest brother, who’s about 30 now, he started hockey when he was young and he loved it, and that’s how we got into it, one-by-one we started playing.

What do you love about the sport?

I love that it’s so fast, I like the aggressiveness and I love how it’s a team sport that’s exciting and fun.

Your favourite team?

I like the Detroit Red Wings, I saw them play and they won against the Canucks and I think they’re a really skilled team.

What’s the best thing about playing hockey in New Zealand?

It’s very different from all the other New Zealand sports, it’s not common and we get a lot of ice time (smiles).

And the worst thing?

That’s a hard question haha, I think maybe that there’s not enough rinks, and I’d like to be involved in more international competitions worldwide. There’s world championships but other competitions against other countries might be cool.

What’s your future? Are you just doing this for fun or do you want to get a scholarship and play in one of the leagues in North America.

That’s exactly what I want to do. I want to finish my schooling in New Zealand, I have one more year of school left, and I’m currently looking at some scholarships in the U.S. I would love to gain a scholarship and play in the U.S.

The full video interview will be available on IIHF’s Youtube channel on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWLDJIPxaJg&hd=1

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Great article RedWingFan! Thanks for making people aware of it!

Here it is...

-----

Teaching Your Brain How To Play Soccer

Via Dan Peterson, January 17, 2012

When describing what’s wrong with today’s youth soccer coaching, Michel Bruyninckx points to his head. “We need to stop thinking football is only a matter of the body,” the 59-year old Belgian Uefa A license coach and Standard Liège academy director recently told the BBC. “Skillfulness will only grow if we better understand the mental part of developing a player. Cognitive readiness, improved perception, better mastering of time and space in combination with perfect motor functioning.”

We’re not talking about dribbling around orange cones here. Bruyninckx’s approach, which he dubs “brain centered learning” borrows heavily from the constructivist theory of education that involves a total immersion of the student in the learning activity.

In fact, there are three components to the related concept of “brain based” teaching:

Orchestra immersion – the idea that the student must be thrown into the pool of the learning experience so that they are fully immersed in the experience.

Relaxed alertness – a way of providing a challenging environment for the student but not have them stressed out by the chance of error.

Active processing – the means by which a student can constantly process information in different ways so that it is ingrained in his neural pathways, allowing them to consolidate and internalize the new material.

This “training from the neck up” approach is certainly different than the traditional emphasis on technical skills and physical fitness. The brain seems to be the last frontier for sports training and others are starting to take note of it.

“I think that coaches either forget, or don’t even realise, that football is a hugely cognitive sport,” said the Uefa-A licence coach Kevin McGreskin in a recent Sports Illustrated story. “We’ve got to develop the players’ brains as well as their bodies but it’s much easier to see and measure the differences we make to a player’s physiology than we can with their cognitive attributes.”

At the Standard Liège facility outside of Brussels, Bruyninckx currently coaches about 68 players between the age of 12 and 19, who have been linked with first and second division Belgian clubs. If there was any question if his methods are effective, about 25% of the 100 or so players that he has coached have turned pro. By comparison, according to the Professional Footballers’ Association, of the 600 boys joining pro clubs at age 16, 500 are out of the game by age 21.

His training tactics try to force the players’ brains to constantly multitask so that in-game decision making can keep up with the pace of the game. ”You have to present new activities that players are not used to doing. If you repeat exercises too much the brain thinks it knows the answers,” Bruyninckx added. “By constantly challenging the brain and making use of its plasticity you discover a world that you thought was never available. Once the brain picks up the challenge you create new connections and gives remarkable results.”

The geometry of the game is stressed through most training exercises. Soccer is a game of constantly changing angles which need to be instantly analyzed and used before the opportunity closes. Finding these angles has to be a reaction from hours of practice since there is no time to search during a game.

“Football is an angular game and needs training of perception — both peripheral sight and split vision,” said Bruyninckx. “Straight, vertical playing increases the danger of losing the ball. If a team continuously plays the balls at angles at a very high speed it will be quite impossible to recover the ball. The team rhythm will be so high that your opponent will never get into the match.”

Certainly, brain-centered learning faces enormous inertia among the coaching establishment. Still, for those teams looking for the extra edge, the Bruyninckx method is gaining fans. “Michel’s methods and philosophy touch on the last frontier of developing world-class individuals on and off the field – the brain,” respected tennis coach Pete McCraw stated. “His methods transcend current learning frameworks and challenge traditional beliefs of athlete development in team sports. It is pioneering work, better still it has broad applications across many sporting disciplines.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3yBF9BDMhJc

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Developing game with education: New initiative in co-operation between IIHF and Vierumäki

IIHF.COM, 20-01-12

VIERUMÄKI, Finland – As an extension to the IIHF Audit, the International Ice Hockey Federation is taking on a new initiative to increase development services provided to member national associations by joining forces with the Vierumäki Institute and the students of the Degree Programme in Sports and Leisure Management in the new project “Student Ambassadors for Sport Development”.

With the win-win approach in meeting the demands of the education and working-life, project aims to develop a concept to plan, implement and evaluate national development projects in co-operation between the IIHF, member national associations as well as both staff and students of the Vierumäki Institute.

Following the ongoing Winter Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, Austria, students will be acquainted with the selected programs applied under the member national association development assistance. In order to consolidate the plans and enhance the implementation, students assigned with the development projects will visit the respective member national associations in March together with the Vierumäki staff member and Adam Sollitt, IIHF Reseach & Audit Coordinator.

Based on the findings and conclusions of the visit, development plans will be finalized during the April and May to be implemented from June onwards in conjunction with the student work placement.

With the project, the IIHF is able to provide further operational support in addressing the needs of the developing national associations. While member national associations benefit from having educated people involved in the implementation of different projects, activities and events, students have a possibility to hone their knowledge and skills into real-life competence to manage development projects of sport organizations.

By joining the development planning, students can also benefit from having the possibility to focus on developing the skills considered important for their specific work placement needs already during the last months of their intensive studies in Vierumäki.

Application time until February 14, 2012

With the second year students moving on to the work placement following the season, the Degree Programme is looking into recruiting a new group of 20 students for the academic year 2012–2013. More information on the programme and application practicalities are available through the following links:

Programme website (HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Sciences).

http://www.haaga-helia.fi/en/education-and-application/bachelor-degree-programmes/sport/dp-in-sports-and-leisure-management-vierumaeki-campus-youth-education

Vierumäki website (information about the campus)

http://www.vierumaki.fi/lang/

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Here is a comment I overheard after yesterday's U18 NTC (soccer) practice. See post:

John ran a great practice with the U18 National Training Centre (soccer) girls yesterday. These are girls who have been identified by the CSA as the best age-group players in southern Alberta and who are trying to gain a roster spot with the National U 18 team. (One of these girls is currently on the National U18 team.) There are several NTC's across the country in the large cities. I helped John coach this group a couple of years ago. The skill level and desire to compete is very high. It was very enjoyable and I love going to watch / help when my time allows...

John invited some of the best U 16 girls in the city as well as some top NTC U16 and U14 boys - plus a midfielder who was just named to Canada's U22 (male) team and is on the 2012 Olympic tryout roster. He had 27 players and 3 goalies in total - perfect numbers for nine teams of 3 players each!

He ran the "Time Machine" game.

This was some of the best soccer I have ever witnessed in person. They played for almost 90 minutes straight!

As they left the pitch, I overheard a couple of girls talking.

#1 "I feel so pumped after these games! I love it! I can hardly wait for our team practice tonight!"

#2 "Yeah me too! I love the Time Machine! I wish our coach knew these games and practiced with games. Now it sucks because you know we will doing the same boring thing. More drills and being yelled at and told what to do while we stand around, waiting to go."

#1 "Well at least we had fun here for the past two hours; let's go get the next practice over with..."

Hmmmmm.... coaches, reflect on your own practices.

How do players 'see' your practices or what do they truly think about your practices?

How would you "like" to participate in your own practice?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Quiet Eye: Dr. Joan Vickers, University of Calgary

I studied under Joan then worked as her research assistant and taught with her after I finished my undergraduate degree. She was the first major 'agent of change' in my coaching philosophy in the early 1990's and I didn't even recognize it at the time! Since then, I go back and read her artciles and books and continue to learn more and more! I bumped into her at a Chapter's before Christmas and we got caught up. She has been working a lot more with eye movement studies the past 15-20 years and as this video shows, some application from sport to 'real life'.

http://www.calgarysun.com/videos/1439352136001

If you do a search for her name and the quiet eye / eye movements / gaze control, etc, you will find many articles that might be of interest. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND her pamphlet, "Decision Training: A new approach to coaching" ISBN # 978-0-88953-242-7 approximate cost of $13.95 and might be found through the U of Calgary bookstore or Coaches Association of BC. John and I base much of our coaching methodology on this work.

I purchased her latest book, "Perception, Cognition, and Decision Training:The Quiet Eye in Action", released in 2007. It is science based, but a fascinating read.

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/perception-cognitionnd-decision-training

One of the other PhD students at U of C in the early 2000's was Chris Chisamore. He was a goalie coach for the men's U of C Dinos and helped with the Oval XTreme women's program. Now he is in Lethbridge as an A/C with the WHL Hurricanes. Chris did his doctrate on the use of technology and sport. I remember him showing me raw footage of a Colorado Avalanche goalie who had a special helmet during an exhibition game; it showed the play from his perspective (first person) and where his eyes focussed. It was very cool. You might have to search the "invisible web" to find this... not sure how / where to source it without speaking with Chris directly. You could do a search using Chris' name and PhD dissertation's through the U of C website? (If someone finds something, please post it.)

From an old bio - The Goalie Shop - in Calgary:

"Chris Chisamore is a PhD student at the University of Calgary who specializes in technology performance analysis and enhancement. Through his goaltender coaching, consulting and research, Chris is using a variety of tools to improve both the physical and mental performance of goaltenders. Chris has played at the University level and he knows the importance of goalie coaching for young and developing goaltenders."

http://doe.concordia.ca/eteconnections/interviews05.html

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kyle Woodlief’s Red Line Report

Gregg Drinnan, Taking Note, Feb 25 2012

Kyle Woodlief’s Red Line Report was posted Friday by USA TODAY. In it, he wonders about the lack of skilled North American forwards eligible for the NHL’s 2012 draft. Boy, ain’t that the truth. You need only watch the number of junior teams playing chip and chase to wonder just what is going on with that. Park a player in the neutral zone -- and I mean park him. Have a defenceman rifle the puck in his direction. The forward, who is standing still, tips the puck into the offensive zone. And then the other team repeats the exercise...

-----

European forwards outshine North Americans in skill:
Having just returned home from the Five Nations under-18 event in Finland, we have exactly four words: Thank God for Europe!

Kyle Woodlief, Red Line Report special to USA TODAY, Feb 24 2012

Sweden's Filip Forsberg is among the skilled European forwards dominating this draft.

And not because places like Panelia and Pori scream destination travel in mid-February.

No, it's because without Europe, there would not be a single skilled forward to watch in this entire draft class.

As we were watching the dynamic Swedish duo of Sebastian Collberg and Filip Forsberg dominate entire shifts and Finnish flash Teuvo Teravainen rip hellacious one-timers and Russian Anton Slepyshev dangle through crowds of overmatched defenders, we thought back to fond memories when North American forwards used to have puck skills. Ah, those were the good old days.

As we sat in the stands over in Finland, we looked over the first round of our list and started to realize it wasn't just that the American under-18 team was shockingly devoid of anything even remotely resembling a skilled puckhandler.

No, the drought extends to North America as well. In addition to the four Euros mentioned above, plus late-1993 Swede Pontus Aberg, Red Line's five highest-rated forwards skating in any league in North America are all European as well: Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk (though honestly, does anyone truly understand what nationality he is?) and Radek Faksa in the Ontario Hockey League; Mikhail Grigorenko in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League; and Zemgus Girgensons in the United States Hockey League.

In all, our top nine ranked forwards, and 11 of the 14 we have ranked in the first round, are all European. We don't have a single North American forward ranked in our top 20.

And sadly, when we go to games in places like Des Moines and Regina, that generally makes us want to gouge our eyes out with a fork.

We know everything in this business is cyclical, so this too shall pass. But right about now, this all leads us to one inescapable conclusion: There is an absolute pile of money to be made running a top-notch skills clinic anywhere on this continent.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/story/2012-02-24/nhl-draft-red-line-report/53234152/1

-----

I will post further thoughts on this later - working on an article to share here. Heading to the rink now...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Gibbons GoPro Helmet Cam at '12 Hockey Challenge

Gregg Drinnan, Taking Note, Feb 29 2012

Ryan Gibbons, a WHL linesman who played for the Seattle Thunderbirds, wore a GoPro camera on his helmet during the Celebrity All-Star game that was part of Hockey Challenge 2012 in Kent, Wash., on Saturday. If you haven’t seen the footage yet, it’s right here.

Gibbons also worked the Thunderbirds’ game that night. . . . His linesmen’s jersey was part of the Challenge auction and it went for $750. He autographed it after the game.

The Thunderbirds and Ronald McDonald House Charities of Western Washington & Alaska (RMHC) have since announced that the 14th annual Hockey Challenge, which was held Saturday and Sunday, raised more than $190,000, bringing the 14-year total to more than $4.2 million.

Uploaded by BromaliRadio on 27 Feb 2012

Ryan Gibbons wearing a GoPro on his helmet, participating in the 2012 Hockey Challenge, hosted by the Seattle Thunderbirds, at Showare Center in Kent, WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8S4Z12St9M

-----

I have never seen a Go Pro put on a hockey helmet before, so this was neat to see! It takes me back to the early 1990's when I worked with Dr. Joan Vickers at U of Calgary and I assisted her with her eye movement studies ("Gaze Control"). Back then, we were looking at baseball, golf, basketball, shuffleboard. She was just getting into hockey and other sports when I left to go coach full-time. I am always fascinated by POV (point of view) and HUD footage (heads up display) - and what it reveals about what an athlete sees and their subsequent decisions. The neat stuff with Joan's equipment is that you saw exactly what the athlete's eyes were fixating on, and for how long. If I can ever find some footage, (or if Joan shares some with me) I will post it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I have read a few things pertaining to eye movement and Australian Rules football. Seemed the superior players focused attention on open areas/uncontested areas of the field and lower skilled players fixated more on movement/busy areas.

What are everyone's thoughts on sports that carry over to a smarter hockey player?
(In my opinion, the players that I have coached who have played a good amount of basketball, have better game understanding and anticipation than the players I have coached who have played a good amount of soccer)

RWF,

Invasion Sports have many similarities (hockey, soccer, basketball, football, rugby, Aussie Rules, waterpolo, lacrosse, etc.) Consider the four O and four D principles of play and the four playing roles - there are similarities between these sports. The more someone plays these sports, the more experience they get facing and resolving similar challenges. Certain sports have some differences according to the rules / modalities / culture, but there is a lot of overlap! The experience gained in one sport will transfer to other invasion sports.

John the Colombian's son's (Junior and Jordan) were both excellent soccer and hockey players. Perhaps their greatest assests in hockey were their overall athleticism and ability to see the game. Playing multiple sports until 13 / 14 helped their overall development so that when they started to specialize, they were even better than if they would have specialized too early. (Hockey and soccer are considered 'late specialization sports'... see http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/ ) This is the best real-life argument against spring hockey / year-round hockey that I have ever seen (I have known John and his kids for almost 10 years now and have watched them grow up. Both of his kids became all-star soccer players. Junior was the CIS player of the year, won National Championships, represented Canada internationally and played pro in Germany. Not bad for a Canadian kid in the World sport of soccer!. Jordan was a late cut from the National Team, so he took a different path and is now a personal trainer. I will follow a very similar model with my own kids - ages 20 months and 3.75 years - they really want to play sports as they see my wife and I training and playing and coaching.)

John himself emigrated to Montreal from Colombia at the age of 16. He told me that even though he had never even seen hockey, he was watching it with a deep understanding based on his significant soccer and futsol experience from home.

When he started to skate that first year (we calculated it - all John did was skate and take pert-time school. I think we estimated he put in close to 48000 hours of skating that first year. He would often go and skate for 12-14 hours per day; only taking breaks to eat and attend the odd class.) John made a Midget AA team his second year in Canada (they didn't have AAA) because the head coach placed a premium on skating. Once John made the team, he went to the coach and said, "I can't handle a puck and I have a terrible shot." So the coach made him into a checker and told John to learn how to stickhandle and shoot. He took it to heart and dedicated himself to improving his all-around game. Because John had played soccer at a high level for many years (including pro back in Colombia), and since there are many similarities between soccer and hockey, John knew what to do - he just couldn't do it! He had great anticipation and 'hockey sense / game sense'. He said it was frustrating but after a few more years of training (he spent less time training as he was working after that second year), he become fairly proficient.

You should see him today! John plays very much a 'heads up game' and is incredibly sneaky!

I would take a kid with anticipation / game sense, passion and work ethic over a talented (skilled) but lazy player anytime. I would rather work with one of these 'projects' because I know my coaching methodology will allow them to improve while enjoying the game.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: RedWingFan

What are everyone's thoughts on sports that carry over to a smarter hockey player?
(In my opinion, the players that I have coached who have played a good amount of basketball, have better game understanding and anticipation than the players I have coached who have played a good amount of soccer)

Maybe, but the "laws of the game" are same in hockey, basketball and soccer. They all have 4 playing roles, you need to win space to score. To my experiense players who played only hockey are not so game intelligent than someone who has played some other team sport too.

Today we had only 5 forwards, 2 Ds and one goalie (It's spring break). We did (I think you can call it?) decision training.

- Nz regroup + scoring 2-0 + D shot from the point
1. D passes to one of two Fs who is open (when D is skating to puck i covered the other F)
2. Same situation but I told to Ds that I will this time try to read where they are passing the puck, so they should make fake pass or no look pass.

Edit:
I'm so slow with my english typing Rolling Eyes

Kai

Don't worry Kai, your typing looks good and we can't tell how long it takes!!! Wink

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Importance of Speed of Mind in Hockey

Alan Bass, NHL Blogger, “The Psychology of Hockey”, Feb 11 2012

If you look at some of the best players in the NHL today – Sidney Crosby, Pavel Datsyuk, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Evgeni Malkin, Steven Stamkos, and more – there is a common thread between their skill sets. Each of these players has differing techniques they use that utilize their strengths and hide their weaknesses, yet each of them manage to flaunt their talents because of their ability to make split-second decisions – “hockey sense”, as it is known in the hockey world. In fact, Wayne Gretzky will be the first to tell you that he was far from the most talented player when he was tearing up the NHL record book in the 1980s and 1990s. The reason he was successful is because he had an uncanny ability to anticipate the play and know exactly what each of the other nine players on the ice would do in any given situation. As he famously said, “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.”

Anatoli Tarasov, the famous Soviet Coach (known as the architect of the powerhouse Soviet hockey teams in the 1960s and ’70s) had a famous saying: “Speed of hand, speed of foot, speed of mind. The most important of these is speed of mind. Teach it.”

Logically, this would make sense. You could be the fastest skater in the world, have a shot that hits the back of the net nine times out of ten, and an uncanny ability to pass the puck. But if you are unaware of the flow of the game, how a situation will unfold, or even where you should be positionally at all times, those talents will be useless, just as the valedictorian of Harvard Business School needs an awareness of the business world and its trends or his 4.0 GPA will be for naught.

Tarasov’s hockey teams would train for endless hours utilizing drills that allowed players to practice their creativity and develop their decision-making. In addition, players understood that at all times, the puck has the ability to move faster than any player on the ice. This led to his famed system consisting of short, quick, accurate passes, causing opponents to be left spinning around, looking for where the puck might be next. Not only were players expected to have this ability to connect with each other on a constant basis, but they were also expected to have such quick decision-making abilities that they would know what they wanted to do with the puck before they even received a pass. Tarasov helped accomplish this desired goal by creating drills that forced players to anticipate the play before it happened.

One drill he used consistently was a three-on-three rush in which players were not allowed to hold the puck for more than two seconds. This caused them not only to pass the puck, but to predict where each player would be before he even received the initial pass. Another drill he used was a three-on-three in the offensive zone with a wild card player standing stationary at the blue line. Only the team with the puck could use that player, creating almost a 4-on-3 advantage. If there was a turnover, the defensive team had to get the puck back to the wild card in order to switch and become the offensive team. Drills such as these help to stimulate players’ minds by creating a common goal (maintain control of the puck and score) while also launching enough spontaneity into the drill to force players to think outside the box.

Teaching hockey players is much more than simply standing in front of a white board and drawing X’s and O’s. It’s about creating an environment where players have the ability to both make mistakes and succeed creatively. Why use two players in a drill when you can force more creative plays with three? Why use the full ice when you can put cones in certain areas and direct the play as such? By utilizing creativity and forcing players to develop this speed of mind, they can develop even more efficiently and have smarter, more able hockey minds.

-----

I spend LOTS of time on 1 v 1 first (Igor's study = 1 v 1 occurs 45% of the time in a game) then progress to 2 v 1 / 1 v 2 and 2 v 2. I will eventually work up to 3 v 3 once the other situational building blocks have been put in place. I rarely, if ever, get to 4 v 4 or more in the skill academy setting. I might add a joker on offense to create 4 v 3's...

I would also add that you need to create a positive environment where the players are encouraged to fall over, make mistakes, etc. and then learn from it; as that is how most people learn! Kids shouldn't get yelled at for making honest mistakes or trying something. Yes, they need to be held accountable, but in the proper way. Once the players understand you (the coach) care about them as individual people and are working with them, the trust and respect factor is established.

"They don't care about how much you know until the know how much you care."

This is a sacred element - use this relationship wisely coaches!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Creating Speed of Mind in a Hockey Player

Alan Bass, NHL Blogger, “The Psychology of Hockey”, Feb 18 2012

Over the last few hundred years that hockey has existed, both professionally and casually, players developed their abilities and their understanding of the game by playing shinny, pond hockey, or just playing around in the comfort of their own backyard, driveway, or basement. However, over the last couple decades, hockey has transformed into an indoor game, played only within the context of a 200’ x 85’ rink surrounded by Plexiglas and boards filled with enough ads to look like a NASCAR event.

Although it has its pros (e.g. bigger rink size, higher quality ice, much less chance of frostbite), one of the biggest problems is that it has taken away the creativity of the game that is so crucial when developing players, from mite to NHL. Last week I wrote an article about the importance of developing speed of mind (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=167) in hockey players and gave examples of how Soviet hockey architect Anatoli Tarasov did so with his teams, but how else is this accomplished on the ice within the context of a team practice?

Tarasov once said: “If a training period does not offer a creative atmosphere or depth in grasping a particular topic, if it does not stimulate the player to a higher level of technique, and finally, if you can feel that the players are not ready to do battle, if they show no hustle or daring, you should not expect such a team to improve its game.”

As any coach will tell you, it is difficult to get players to both buy into a practice and work hard enough to improve. The key to doing so, however, at any level, is to create an environment that is fun, challenging, and presents opportunities for players to grow in all aspects. I’ve attended enough practices at various levels of hockey, from youth to NHL, where the drills being done are the typical, trite, “skate down the ice, shoot, get a pass, go back down the ice, shoot, get back in line.” There is almost nothing in hockey worse than this, because it is both a waste of time, and causes players to become disinterested in the game to an extent that it might affect their play when it comes time to put these skills into use.

However, there are multiple ways to get players to be creative. The way in which a coaching staff can do this is to be creative themselves – draw up drills and games that can be utilized in order to pique players’ interests, force them to pay attention, and allow them to try new moves, ideas, and techniques, while still benefitting themselves and the entire team.

One way to do this is to add multiple pucks into a drill that otherwise would have utilized just one. For example, have a defenseman start behind the net, and two forwards come out of opposite corners, each with a puck, and curl around the faceoff circles. As they come around the circles, the defenseman can come into the slot and attempt to defend both forwards (to make this easier, make sure the forwards stay between the circles when they both come in with their respective pucks). Although most defensemen and goaltenders will fail in this drill (it is quite impossible to stop two pucks at the same time), it will encourage them to be creative and use both their body and their equipment in ways that they would not have done otherwise in order to achieve the desired goal of preventing goals from being scored.

Another way this can be accomplished is by creating a man disadvantage for an offensive team. For instance, force a team to play 3-on-4 (or 3-on-5 if you’re quite precocious), both breaking out the puck and playing in the offensive zone. To keep the drill purely offensive, if they turn the puck over, have the defending team simply ice the puck down the ice and make the three players start again (rather than having them defend a penalty kill situation). Albeit frustrating, this drill will cause players to move their feet and use more creative means to both get into an open position and create scoring opportunities.

Lastly, a way to create creativity, awareness, and on-ice intelligence is to have players switch positions for typical drills. For example, have a defenseman move to right wing, or have a center move to the left side, or a winger back to defense. Not only will this enable them to pick up a different skill set, it will also create a better understanding of how opposing players in different positions think, allowing your players to make better decisions and play more effectively.

Many of these drills will raise some eyebrows with players, other coaches, and media members (or parents, if playing youth hockey), but the result will be smarter, more creative hockey players that can think the game at a level high enough to succeed in any situation.

-----

Coaches, how else do you or could you train "speed of mind"?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: hockeygod[p
Coaches, how else do you or could you train "speed of mind"?

[/p]

I've been playing around with idea that it is better to film SAGs than actual games, at least with junior/youth players.
Here's some thoughts why;

• it is good way to demonstrate 4 playing roles in action. from 1v1 to 2v2 (and 3v3)
  • you can control the game by themes and rules to help you to teach specific aspects of individiual tactics and prioritys of the game.
  • you have also some control over transition situations.
I think it's good alternative to game film and maybe junior players benefit more from it.

Kai

Kai,

This is a great idea! I have recorded many training sessions in my skill academies - initially to help train coaches - but I have also sometimes used them to show the players.

That is the beauty of SAG's - you can design them to meet your needs - and then record them. The individual skills, tactics, team tactics and four playing roles can be highlighted and the players can see them in action.

In a team setting, this would be invaluable.

I remember while coaching in Moose Jaw, I encouraged the head coach / GM to watch the odd practice from above - to give him a different perspective on the practice and on the players. As coaches, we rarely ever get to see our own team from above. He watched from above about four times that year and really liked the change in perspective. He thought it was time well spent.

I also watched from above occasionally and I taped it - video doesn't lie! - primarily to identify work ethic, body language, etc. to certain players (both good and bad) so they see what the coaches see during a practice. We wanted the players to learn what it takes to 'be a pro' to try to help graduate them to a higher level of play. By doing so, we would simultaneously improve our team.

Any other ideas about how to train "Speed of Mind"?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Coaches: Are You Using Your Defensemen Correctly?

Alan Bass • "The Psychology of Hockey" • Hockey Buzz..com, February 25, 2012

Often, a key determinant of what position a player chooses is his handedness – whether he shoots right or left. A player’s handedness also affects how a coach uses him in various situations, such as on the power play or penalty kill, at the end of a game with an extra attacker, in a four-on-four situation, or simply at even strength. Other factors can come into play as well, including what system is used (e.g. an umbrella formation on the power play results in a lot of one-timers and quick shots, forcing a coach to play many players on their off-wing, in order to maximize the accuracy of shots).

There is no definitive answer or proof as to whether or not a player should be played on his off-hand, specifically when it comes to defensemen. But a recent study by Timothy McCarthy of USA Hockey and Vikkie McCarthy of Austin Peay State University gives some evidence to the benefits of a defenseman playing on his off-hand, specifically in offensive situations. The study looks at five main scenarios that occur within the context of every hockey game: puck containment (keeping the puck in the offensive zone), D-to-D pass, and a one-timer shot within the offensive zone. In the defensive zone, the researchers looked at puck control and pass success in the context of a breakout. Each of these five scenarios were analyzed on a player’s on-hand and off-hand.

The researchers conducted their experiment with 10 hockey defensemen ages 14 to 16. They observed these ten players in the aforementioned situations six times, resulting in 540 observations.

The results, although not staggering, were intriguing, to say the least.
Below is the chart they published, showing the average success percentage in each offensive scenario:

____________With On Hand___With Off Hand
Puck Containment__68%_______72%
D-to-D Pass_______82%_______90%
One-Timer Shot____58%_______90%

All of these differences were “significant” (in psychological terms, “significance” means there is a distinct difference between the groups tested, and the difference is most likely not by chance). Defensively, these are the statistics reported by the researchers:

________________With On Hand___With Off Hand
Puck Control Strong Side___78%________67%
Puck Control Weak Side___83%_________83%
Pass Success Strong Side__94%_________92%
Pass Success Weak Side___92%_________92%

These differences were not significant, so most likely they happened by chance.

What is interesting with these statistics is that in the offensive zone, the position that a defenseman was playing based on his handedness made a great difference, while in the defensive zone, it did not seem to matter. The results for the offensive zone are logical, as if you are playing on your off-hand (e.g. left-handed defenseman playing on the right side of the ice), it is much easier to perform all three of these tasks. If the puck is being cleared up the boards, you are going to use your entire body to back into and hug the boards if you are playing on your off-hand. However, if you are playing on your on-hand, you are going to use just your stick, leading to more pucks bouncing over your stick and over the blue line. If you are passing D-to-D, the distance between the two defensemen’s sticks and the angle at which the pass is occurring will be much more favorable if both players are on their off-hand. With regards to the one-timer, coaches already understand the importance of a player being on their off-hand, as it creates a much easier atmosphere to release a quick shot, both in terms of the angle of the pass being received and the positioning needed to redirect the puck toward the net.

Although psychological studies do not ever give “proof” to anything, there is clearly enough evidence in the context of this study to give a second look to each of these scenarios and how players are positioning themselves. If, by simply placing players on their off-hand, you can prevent five more pucks from exiting the zone, connect on ten more one-timers, or prevent 15 errant blue line passes from occurring during the course of a game, mistakes can easily be prevented and more goals can be scored with just a simple change in strategy.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Science Behind Building an NHL Team

Alan Bass, Blogger • "The Psychology of Hockey" • Hockeybuzz.com • March 9, 2012

On every trade deadline, draft, and July 1, the hockey world explodes with fans and media members alike telling their team’s executive staff to go after that big name – whether it’s a superstar player on the block, the next supposed superstar on the draft board, or the next superstar looking for a $10 million salary via free agency. More times than not, teams will sacrifice everything necessary in order to get a hold of these players (see: Chris Pronger in Philadelphia, Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik in New York, Marian Hossa in Chicago, etc.).

However, there seems to be a massive epidemic in which organizations no longer build a team – they simply sign players and expect them to become one. How many times have we seen a team that looked like the best in the league on paper, only to plummet in the standings and burn out before the playoffs? On the contrary, how often do we see teams surprise the league and make a run that no one expected in the preseason?

The key to this team-building problem that seems to have no solution among the majority of NHL teams is to look at the social structure of putting together a team, rather than simply the statistics and the talent side of the equation. International bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell once explained a United States military problem through social structure by saying the following:

“When they realized their problem was social, they solved the problem, almost immediately. The solution wasn’t in getting smarter. The solution was in understanding that there is a critical social component to performing more effectively. More importantly, they realized that the solution was in building a better institution, and if you build the right institution, people will flourish, and if you don’t, they won’t, regardless of how smart they are. The more I read and talk to people, the more I come to the conclusion that, we get so carried away with the role and the talents of the individual, and we sorely neglect the fact that if you put people in the right context, and they can do extraordinary things. You can create the environments where people will flourish.”

Let’s take a look at a couple of the teams that have embraced this idea of creating the institution, rather than waiting for a team to come together. The Detroit Red Wings are the closest thing to a dynasty that the NHL has seen since the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s. With four Stanley Cups from 1997 to 2008, they are the model for success with their European style of hockey, consisting of puck possession, free-flowing movements, constant circling, and high amounts of intelligence. It is based on having uncanny levels of hockey sense, mixed with a high skating ability. Take a look at some of the players the Red Wings have drafted over the past few seasons:

• Defenseman Alexei Marchenko was a seventh round pick in 2011, drafted out of CSKA of the Kontinental League. His scouting report includes strong skating ability, high levels of hockey sense, and although little offensive ability, he has strong defensive instincts and projects as a long-term shutdown defenseman with the ability to move the puck around.

• Forward Tomas Tatar was a second round pick in 2009, and is now playing in Grand Rapids of the American League. He indeed puts up points more than many other prospects waiting for their shot at the NHL, but the two biggest pieces of his game, according to scouts, is his hockey sense and his skating ability. He also has a great ability to handle and control the puck, leading to less possession time for the opposing team.

• Teemu Pulkkinen (fourth round, 111th overall in 2010): playmaking abilities and an ability to hang onto and control the puck.

• Tomas Jurco (second round, 35th overall in 2011): puckhandling abilities,hockey sense, speed/skating ability.

• Riley Sheahan (first round, 21st overall in 2010): large frame gives him the ability to control the puck and fend off opposing defensemen, high levels of hockey sense, defensive ability.

Out of these five players, perhaps one or two will make the NHL, but you can sense a consistent theme: almost every player the Red Wings draft have an ability to play in the system the team has created, and they place these players in an environment that allows the team to succeed on the ice and in the standings.

Let’s take a look at one more team. The Nashville Predators are one of the most consistent teams in the league, making the playoffs on a budget similar to the Oakland A’s of Major League Baseball. Maybe it’s coach Barry Trotz and his coaching style, maybe it is simply Nashville and the atmosphere that playing on that team brings. But the Predators’ style of hockey involves hockey sense, hard working players, and most importantly, defense-first hockey. Let’s look at a sample of players the Predators have drafted over the past few years:

• Check out this scouting report by Hockey’s Future on Miikka Salomaki (second round, 52nd overall in 2011): “Salomaki is a strong, hardworking forward. He is a high energy player, and has to potential to be a valuable role player.”

• What about Taylor Beck (third round, 70th overall in 2009)? He has a “willingness to go to the net” and is a hardworking player who can score. “After the two Nashville camps – the development camps and the training camps,” Beck told me in a 2010 interview, “Being around all the NHL players really gave me an advantage because it showed me what I need in order to get to the next level. I saw guys always on the bikes and always working out. I want to get to the NHL and I need to continue to work hard, so staying focused is something I take pride in for sure.”

• Chase Balisy (sixth round, 170th overall in 2011): Intelligent playmaker, controls the tempo of the game, puck-moving ability, skating ability, great defensively. Supports plays very well.

• Joonas Rask (seventh round, 198th overall in 2010): Technically-skilled, excellent skating ability, understands the game at a high level.

• Colin Wilson (first round, 7th overall in 2008): “He has great instincts for the game and is a big, powerful man,” Barry Trotz told me in a recent interview. “He can separate people and win battles in the corners. He is such a great thinker that I don’t think [skating] will be a problem.” Wilson is also known for his incredible work ethic and his ability to play on both ends of the ice.

The majority of players drafted do not ever play a game in the NHL. But if you look at the players drafted by Detroit and Nashville, they are players that have the highest chance of success because their style of play matches the style that each of these two organizations utilize. So often we hear that teams simply “draft the best player available.” But it is precisely these teams that seldom see Stanley Cup glory in a league where any team can win on any given night. It is the teams that recognize this social piece to the puzzle and create an environment designed for specific players’ success that ultimately taste the champagne at the end of the day.

----

Interesting to hear the common descriptors for future players.... "hockey sense"... "hard work"... "ability to control the tempo / control the puck" ... "skating ability"... etc.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Empower your creative instincts this summer

Jack Blatherwick, Let’s Play Hockey, March 22 2012

“Empower your players. They have to make instantaneous decisions on the field. We coaches can’t make those decisions for them in games … and we shouldn’t. We must let them make mistakes and learn. Brain scientists tell us that the more we correct players and tell them what NOT to do, the more we lose creativity. Development depends on how well they learn to read the game. Make suggestions later. Encourage players to try new attacks, but don’t tell them what NOT to do.”
Jürgen Klinsmann, U.S. Soccer Coach on developing ‘field sense.’

Rink sense, vision, read-react decisions, creativity, confidence, poise: These are the highest priorities for success in hockey – more than skating, shooting, stickhandling, passing, receiving, strength, speed or acceleration. Of course the secondary list is important, but training for instantaneous mental skills is under-coached – and negatively impacted by over-emphasis on systems featuring mistake-free, rigid, defense-minded game plans.

Why do I bring this up at the end of the season rather than at the beginning? Because I have no confidence that advice from the leading soccer coach in the world will change youth coaches in hockey or soccer. Winning each game has become too important to employ a fun, relaxed, trial-and-error approach to development in the U.S. Therefore, we are not promoting enough offensive geniuses for the large number of participants and world-class facilities in our country. After all, in a recent poll by The Hockey News, American NHL players believed only six Americans rank in the top 50.

Expert TV commentators in playoff games will not point you in the right direction as you plan for summer development. They sound like broken records, “Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. Team A has to be more physical this period. They must establish a physical presence. Finish checks. Take the body. Count the hits (not the creative passes). Don’t get too cute. Don’t make turnovers. Don’t over-pass. Dump it in deep. Don’t get fancy.”

Of course, playing the body is important, and by playoff time, you must avoid mistakes, play solid defense and finish checks in the D-zone. But we’re talking about summer programs to develop offensive playmaking abilities. So, model your summer training after brilliant playmakers like Wayne Gretzky or the Sedin twins.

Unfortunately, they aren’t doing commentary on TV, but you can bet they wouldn’t advise you to hit more than you pass this summer? Real experts – those who have done a lot of research on learning – recommend unstructured scrimmage games to develop rink sense, vision, read-react decisions and poise. This is hockey without a scoreboard, without constant warnings from coaches about mistakes – hockey with thousands of quick decisions, trial-and-error, relaxed fun and plenty of mistakes.

Don’t pay for structure this summer. You get too much of that in the winter. Shoot pucks on your own; stickhandle; work on skating off the ice; play other active sports. Keep it simple, fun, and constructive.

Save money and improve your game. Minimally-structured, fast-paced scrimmages are hard to beat. Volunteers can run these. Get two different colored jerseys so there is lots of passing. Two goalies are important. Leave the scoreboard off and compete for pride and prestige.

Herb Brooks would say, “The only mistakes that matter are mistakes of omission.”

Try anything. Pavel Datsyuk would

-----

For the last two weeks with my Grade 8 class, we had them 'draft' 5 equal teams and we 'scrimmage' 6 vs 6 (or 6 vs 5 or whatever if kids are missing that day) full ice. We have different coloured pinnies to keep things organized. As a 'shinny' session, we put out minimal rules. We don't have goalies and don't use shooter tutors. All the teams get on ONE bench and move up accordingly as others come off. We play for 30+ minutes in a 55 minute session. Lots of creativity and problem solving and accountability. We have kids at all levels - Bantam AAA, Bantam AA, Tier 1-5 bantam / midget, 3 female Bantam AAA, 2 ringette girls, and a few kid who this is their first or second year of skating / hockey. The kids LOVE IT - including those with less skill - as they feel like they are a part of a 'team' and are involved in the games.

The basic Rules of Engagement (ROE):

1) No offsides. Play it like a game - otherwise the offending team gives up the puck to the other team. If a goal is scored on an offside, it doesn't count and is a turnover.

2) You can score from anywhere in the offensive zone. (You can add other discriminators if you want... add two open nets in each end; can only score on the backhand; must be a 'clean' goal - only hit mesh - not posts, crossbar or not be along the ice - has to be in the air, etc.)

3) It is a transition game so when you score, you dig the puck out and attack the opposite net QUICKLY!

4) Team that is scored on, SPRINTS to the one bench (no gliding or STOP! Everybody out to do 10/10 then 20/20 pushups/situps! Every time it happens, we stop them. After 3 times, they bust their asses to the bench!)

5) New team jumps on IMMEDIATELY when a goal is scored - no waiting for the other team to come off.

6) Kids are responsible to keep track of how many goals they score. Captains on each team are responsible to gather the totals and bring it to the coach at the end. Coach keeps track too... if there are any discrepancies, 10/10, etc! Coach is ALWAYS right. Deal with it. Just like an official, no arguments, no discussion, no negotiation. Zip it and do the pushups / situps!

7) Integrity Rule: We watch kids at random perform their 10/10, etc. If we count less than the required amount, everyone does 20/20 again... and we will keep doing it if we catch 'cheaters'. The kids have learned to add 2-3 extra on both the pushup / situp side... just to make sure! (The teacher did a piece on Integrity and what it means in class that I forwarded to him as well. It is amazing to see the difference in these kids since this was introduced two weeks ago!)

Unlike Jack, I believe in keeping score and holding kids accountable as 'life' tends to keep score itself and I believe we are here to help kids prepare for that inevitability (kids keep track of the score anyways - humans are naturally!) That said, I would love to see 'less structure' and see opportunities presented to kids where they can just 'play' without adults controlling things. However, as an instructor I don't get paid to 'do nuttin' in school' (!!!!) but I remember how great those days were on the outdoor rink... with 40 kids playing... all ages and skills... you learned to keep your head up and compete or you wouldn't ever get the puck! This is as close as it will get in a school program!

"The Game is the best teacher of The Game!"

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a long time, and have just now decided to join the discussion with far more experiencd coaches than myself. First of all, my name is Filip, I coach U10 hockey team in Serbia (Europe, Balkans - unfortunately well known for majority of other things) with previous experience of coaching U12&U8. I decided to join the forum because I find it very helpfull in understanding the best possible way for developing young kids and their passion for hockey. For the first post I would not like to write too much, but just to share yesterday's practice with these young guys.

We did not have on-ice practice three days before yesterday, and will not have them until Monday, that is another 3 days. Therefore, I decided to make a fun practice that would keep the kids positive about ice hockey despite almost one-week break. I had 12 skaters and 1 goalie in 1 zone (we split ice rink in three smaller cross-ice rinks due to the number of kids), so the space does not give you much of the opportunity. This time I had my zone split in 4 smaller zones, 3 players in each zone. For the warm-up each team played no-stick dog chase ( they crawl and chase each other), than no-stick "catch me if you can" inside 1/4 of the zone and finally Tarasov bumps. After that, they played 4 SAGs: 1-1 with the goalie, 1-1 puck protection (no shooting, only puck control), 2-man passing with monkey in the middle and finally 1-1 using small goals. Each time one player rests, except for the 2-man passing drill. Teams changed zones after 3 shifts. In the end, they played cross-ice 3 vs. 3.

My question is, with huge number of players, sometimes up to 18 skaters and 2 goalies in 1 zone, what do you think is the most efficient way of keep majority of players doing exercise at once? I've been using the traditional "stand in 1 line wait for your turn" drills, but now I tend to switch to 1-1 partner drills.

We have 4 practices a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday), 1 off-ice practice (Saturday) and usually we play tournaments on Sunday. I tend to focus on different elements each day: Monday - skating, Tuesday-puck control,SAGs (1-1,1-2,2-1 in focus), Thursday - passing and competitive drills, Friday - game-like drills + a lots of cross-ice hockey.

Suggestions, mentoring, I'm open for everything.

All the best,

Filip

P.S. It a long post afterall.

Filip, it is always good to read the comments of another coach and great to have another active member on this discussion board.
It sounds like you are doing a lot of really good things already when I read what you did your last practice.

It is important to avoid line-ups except for recovery from high tempo activities. Your space is limited so you have to create areas for practice stations and you have done that. There are more ways to divide the ice into three areas such as from the goal line to the far blue line with one team on each half and the third group doing having one zone at the end.

If you search Dukla on this site you can see many of the activities I did in Jihlava two summers ago. We divided the rink into 4 areas and did skill drills and SAG’s in these areas.

Play keepaway and SAG with skill rules or rules that reduce time with the puck. Also play multi-puck games or games with different kinds of balls and pucks to challenge the nervous system. i.e. a football and a puck at the same time with the rule that you can only use your feet with the football (soccer ball) and stick or feet with the puck (or a hockey ball etc.)

Try to keep everyone active as much as possible. When I had 60 students in a small gym at the same time I would make 12 teams of 5 who practiced the skill together and then we played tournaments with 6 games going on at the same time in small areas with a modified rule that used the skill we just worked on; i.e. if it was volleyball and we just worked on the forearm pass then the game only allowed forearm passes and there was a rope instead of nets the entire length of the gym and 6 small cross gym courts. http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=43 is a link that shows a few classes.

Good luck with your practices.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Filip,

Great to hear about hockey in Serbia!!!

Welcome and thanks for posting! As per Tom's comments, it sounds like you are doing lots of good things with your team! He also has provided some excellent advice to manage small areas and keep kids active.

My 2 cents regarding 18 skaters and 2 goalies in an area? Starting with partner activities 1 vs 1 is a good start. Can you expand that to a 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 so more kids are moving? Can you add jokers? Can you add nets (from 2 to 4) and play 2 separate games in the same small space - now there are four teams playing in that area so it requires more heads up play (or separate the zone into 2 spaces?) You can use open nets or shooter tutors since you only have 2 goalies. Can you task the kids who are waiting with some skill repetitions - individually or in partners? (Puck handling, passing, etc.) Challenge them to establish personal bests (PB's) with the measurable reps and task an assistant coach to keep them focused.

I look forward to hearing more comments from you in the future!

Cheers!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Despite recent scandals, good coaches should be praised

Scott Russell, CBC Sports, March 22, 2012

The coaching profession has taken a beating this year.

It seems like the only headlines that the mentors of sport are making are frightening testaments to the crimes that a small minority commit when they find themselves in control of what happens to their charges on the field of play.

Witness the abhorrent abuses perpetrated by former junior hockey coach Graham James. A similar story of shame was foisted on Penn State University by Jerry Sandusky, and his negligent boss, the late Joe Paterno.

The latest outrage has seen three NFL coaches banned because they were encouraging bounty hunting on star players and tampering with the health and well being of highly paid athletes.

These are dark days for anybody who is proud to call him or herself a coach.

But it shouldn't be that way.

For each of these outriders there are literally tens of thousands of great coaches out there who give tremendously of themselves and expect very little in return. The bottom line is that we, as North Americans, and Canadians in particular, undervalue those who have a leadership role as educators in our sporting system.

I'm not referring to the highly paid bench bosses in professional sport but rather to the coaches of young people in countless minor clubs and the eminently qualified trainers who are ensuring that the Canadian high performance sports system succeeds.

"Factually speaking the majority of coaches in Canada are volunteers with an enormous expectation that they will conduct themselves ethically, responsibly and competently," says Wayne Parro, the executive director of Coaches of Canada.

His organization advocates for the betterment of the coaching profession in this country. Simply said, he's tired of the majority of coaches in Canada getting little or no pay and credit for what they do.

"Athletes and coaches are the core principals of the sport system," Parro contends. "We rightfully idolize the athletes, but the coaches are always in the background."

This is the truth.

Coaches rarely mentioned

While Own the Podium has continued to succeed and Canadian athletes find themselves in the winner's circle more frequently in both winter and summer sport, the coaches who do much of the groundwork are rarely mentioned when it comes time to dole out the accolades.

And so while Devon Kershaw, Alex Harvey and Len Valjas have had breakout seasons in World Cup cross country skiing, coach Justin Wadsworth remains largely anonymous. Kershaw himself is quick to credit Wadsworth with much of the success he's enjoyed.

"Justin has developed a much more professional approach to what we do," Kershaw said from the World Cup final in Sweden. "Our program has blossomed under his guidance."

The same could be said of swim coaches Randy Bennett and Tom Johnson, who have nurtured Ryan Cochrane and Brent Hayden, respectively, into stars in one of the deepest and most competitive sports in the world.

A disturbing side effect of the indiscretions committed by coaches like Graham James, Jerry Sandusky and Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints, is that we all begin to wonder who is it that we're entrusting with our young people's well being? Are we handing them over to coaches with a hidden agenda who are unprepared to deal with them responsibly and humanely?

"Like any profession there are bad apples. I would like to believe that generally people understand this notion and while we are appalled by their actions, they are isolated cases," Parro said.

"We are starting to do a better job of promoting the value that coaches bring to society and how the majority enrich the lives of their athletes. I think if we could find a way to promote this more often, we will keep good people in coaching longer."

Amen to that.

Good coaches are about more than winning games and races. They also shoulder the responsibility of instilling good values in the athletes who are influenced by them. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

"Coaches play an enormous role in the development of youth," Parro stresses.

"There have been studies indicating that when youth are asked about the most important influences in their lives, coaches always rank high on the list regardless of the level of sport in which they participated. We believe that sport has the power to keep youth focused on positive activity and to keep them out of trouble. Coaches are the key implementers of programming that fulfills this prophecy."

If that's the case, it's up to Canadians to pay attention to what coaches do and to honestly value their successes on a daily basis.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/scottrussell/2012/03/despite-recent-scandals-good-coaches-should-be-praised.html

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Why Competitive Practices Can Make All the Difference in Player Development

Alan Bass, Hockeybuzz Blogger, "The Psychology of Hockey", March 24, 2012

Time for a brief psychology history lesson. In 1898, an Indiana University psychologist named Norman Triplett was casually watching cyclists race when he noticed something – when they were racing by themselves, they did not seem to go as fast as when they were racing against others. He then created what eventually became known as the first ever published study in the field of both social psychology and sport psychology, in which he pitted children against each other reeling in fishing line. He found that when children were reeling in line by themselves, they were much slower than when there was a second child reeling in line next to them – even if they were not in direct competition with each other. Simply the presence of another human being increased physical performance, he realized.

This effect became widely known as “social facilitation”, in which the presence of other people enhance performance (speed and accuracy) in familiar tasks. Since Triplett’s discovery and the creation of the term, over 1,300 papers have been published on the topic, and research continues on the topic.

So how does this relate back to hockey? Interestingly enough, it has great implications for the way in which hockey teams of all ages practice. How many times do you see a drill in which a player skates the length of the ice himself, shoots the puck, then gets in line to do it again? How fast is he truly skating, and how hard is he really trying? From mites to NHLers, I can tell you honestly with 99 percent accuracy, not much. When players are pitted in drills with no opposition, there is very little motivation to work as hard as you can.

But if you were to create a practice in which all drills had some level of competition or opposition (or even teamwork), might you be able to pull out a higher level of performance from each player? After all, practice is about getting players to reach an optimal level of performance so they can continue to improve. How much is a player going to improve if he’s only playing to 50 percent of his potential?

There are a few simple ways to add competition within the context of a practice. If you want a drill in which players are skating up the ice and taking a shot on the goalie to warm up, why not put a second player with him and have the two pass the puck back and forth for 200 feet before ripping a shot on net? Or place a defender in front of the player and have a 1-on-1 situation down the ice? Another way to do this is to utilize some small area games, such as a 3-on-3 in the offensive zone (playing across the width of the ice), or a 1-on-1 battle in the corner, culminating in a shot on net.

The key to successful practices from a psychological standpoint, based on this social facilitation theory, is to create the kind of competition and presence of others to get players to reach this optimal level of performance. With 20 players performing at this level, you will not just create a higher level of competition, but with it, higher levels of development, improvement, and ability.

-----

Nice to see someone else supporting the importance of competition. If you watch your typical NHL practice (any level practice, really), I estimate there isn't much more than 30-40% of the time consisting of competitive situations. I don't consider it truly competitive to add a second man to create a 2 vs 0 like the author suggests. It HAS to be against somebody and it HAS to be a GAME-LIKE SITUATION.

I don't count the rote warmup-type drills where you dump it in and breakout 5 vs 0, then attack 3 vs. 1 or 2... most times, the D man only applies token resistance and the goalie doesn't always seem to care if he stops the shot; must less play the rebound - and the play is over after the shot... it doesn't continue 3 vs. 1 or 2 until more support arrives like it would in a game. (This gets my blood boiling but I will save my "Stupid Typical Warmup Rant' for another day!)

ONLY about 5% (or less) of the time, do the results MATTER. What I mean here by MATTER is that the score is only kept 5% of the time (at best!) and even then, is it followed with accountability? Rarely ever.

That's why I consider the NHL coaches (actually, any level of coaches who do this) to be DETRAINING their teams!

Instead of the traditional 'game day skate' where players go through the pre-programmed, patterned motions, (including the robotic warmup drills just before the game), why don't coaches actually design something different that PREPARES the ATHLETES for the GAME? COMPETE!!! This is the very essence of what John and I do in our GAME INTELLIGENCE TRAINING... and we get exceptional results (and positive feedback from players and parents) from doing it!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean in pro hockey you play so many games that the only time you really practice is in training camp. You can't tire players out in game day skates; so too many competitive drills and games would be counter productive. When you have a few days off you can add competition but most of the time you want to make sure everyone understands their role in team play.

College or AA-AAA, high school is a different animal and you should have a lot of competition because you only play a few games a week. Major junior is the same as the NHL with 3-4 games a week and you can't ask too much in practice because 48 hours is needed to recover from a really hard work out.

So it is important to have a lot of competition in skill academies like you and John run because the competition gives meaning to the activities that you are doing but the more league games the players have each week the more you have to tone down high intensity practice. You need energy for the league games.

Most players now are done for the season and the summer programs should have the kind of competition you are talking about to increase intensity and teach the players to do things at game speed.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

I sat down with an NHL coach this summer and we plotted the Oilers schedule, for the 2011-2012 year 'for fun'. I will dig it out - if I can find it - to present how many days were 'good' practice days; how many 'game day skates'; how many 'days off'; how many off-ice days; how many travel days. As you said, there were very few 'good practice' days total! If I had my way I would reduce the number of games to 60 or so and schedule two breaks to allow for rest and recovery - pro- rating salaries - but I digress... The NHL isn't that smart!

While I do agree that there are very few days after training camp to run 'quality' practices, I would make them count and try to incorporate far more competitive situations. This includes keeping track of shots on net per drill - as an example. Pit two teams against each other and the same for the goalies (who makes more saves?) - make sure you hold the losers accountable - that is key.

Without purpose, score keeping and accountability, practice becomes 'just another typical drill to fill the time - busy work' and it wastes the opportunity to make players the best they can be! This adds meaning to even the most mundane and boring drills - such as the horseshoe! More mental engagement and intensity - which is what Alan Bass is trying to articulate in his article above.

I would keep practices short and intense, using the principles of periodization. Rest and recovery would be in the forefront of the practice design because I recognize you can't go 'all out' every practice, every day. But you can certainly practice a lot smarter than what is done now.

I can't list any NHL teams that use and stick to a periodized plan. They are all dictated by the schedule and then in large part, by uneducated coaches / GM's that have no clue about exercise physiology, rest or recovery. The strength coaches take orders from the head coach / assistant coaches. If they try to push their knowledgeable decisions too hard against the people in charge, they will be looking for a new address as everybody wants to be working in the sexy NHL! So fear holds them back; as it cripples a lot of people.

When I went to Moose Jaw as an A/C, we implemented my periodized plan and the guys trained harder than they ever had - on and off ice - but they also had more rest and recovery built in. Some practices / training sessions were designed for recovery; but we could still train with a purpose. We set a record that year for the best Warrior season ever - to that date. The head coach / GM gave me a big opportunity to 'run the show' so far as the planning around the existing schedule and travel limitations, and he still raves about the results that year - almost 16 years later!

I would also look to do more off-ice dryland training to give them a break from the ice. They would still improve their Game Intelligence, athleticism and fitness. Perhaps maybe even do the game day stuff in a gymnasium / outside if weather permits. There are exceptions - such as the goalies might like to get a few shots in the morning (use those who aren't playing as shooters and if someone else wants to go - fine.)

But I think we too easily dismiss the idea of boosting the element of competition in practices and subscribe to the idea that players 'can't' handle competitive practices because they would be too tired to play the games. I remember that people used to think hockey players had a limited amount of energy for the entire season... They had to put their feet up whenever possible to conserve this limited energy so it would last the whole season... Then they would take the summer 'off' to work (make money) to come back to get in shape at training camp.

I think the hockey world is frozen in time and paralyzed by fear. They need to apply today's concepts (science) to their planning. Why doesn't someone try it and see what happens? I know the stakes are high in the pro game, but come on... don't you think these athletes can handle it?

The existing uneducated culture that runs the individual teams might think you are mad - but unless someone (an educated GM / head coach and a supportive staff) tries it to see, and either fails or succeeds, we won't really know if it will work or it won't. I bet it will - call me anti-current-traditional-hockey-establishment (crazy) because in my books, that's a compliment... and that is how people inspire change - most times, it's met with resistance and knashing of teeth and kicking and screaming. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. The NHL continually demonstrates it's insane but I am starting to hear and see a few things changing for the better... be still my beating heart!

I remain firm in my conviction that competitive, purposeful, measureable, accountable practices would be far superior to the typical, wasteful practices I see now. I don't go to the Flames practices anymore because they are outright brutal. And I have seen almost every NHL team practice and I can count on one hand how many 'good' practices I have seen... my brain feels 'detrained' every time I go to the Saddledome to watch!

John and I are working on a long-term project involving HRM's and soccer athletes doing our off-ice training and comparing / contrasting their results to game play. (We hope to add a hockey cohort to our tests in the future.)

Early indications are we train harder than the games (still mindful of recovery) and yet the athletes are greatly benefiting from our training structure - they are performing very well and the teams we train are winning the majority of their matches. According to parents, the teams are overachieving, learning lots of new sport and life skills... while having the most fun they ever had! Isn't that what it is all about?

This is the Spartan Mentality - train harder and smarter - than you play.

I realize it isn't the NHL and the number of games / travel are not the same, but until someone proves me wrong... I remain firm in my beliefs! I have seen it work at the WHL level with my own eyes!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

239 posts :: Page 6 of 8