Flyers Practice Plan 19-01-13 Time: 14:00-15:15 Venue: WMP
11 skaters and 2 goalies, stick on puck Defensive side, back check, D join attack, Shoot, puck protection, skating, pp-pk
B6 – 3 Shots, 3 Zig zags, 3 Shots
3 Leave from diagonal corners about 2" apart, skate around circle then shoot, get a pass from the other corner, skate 3 zig zags betweeen the blue line and the top of the cricles the fill the 3 lanes and shoot.
1. Make sure to leave about 2 seconds between shooters so the goalie has time to get set.
2. Follow the shot for a rebound before getting the pass.
3. Do skills while zig zagging 3 times such as;
a, carry the puck with the hands and feet moving all the time.
b. carry the puck only using the forehand side of the stick.
c. only use the backhand side of the stick.
d. transition skate facing the far end forward to backward to forward.
e. skate backward.
f. 360 degree turns.
Sean – Kevin - Defense drills.
Tight gap and moving the feet to shoot.
Tom – Tom Forwards
B500 Puck Protection 1-1 Battles
Protect the puck with the back. Get defender to reach or straighten their knees.
A. 1 on 1 battle and go to the net.
1. Place the puck on the dot and race for it from the circle on the whistle.
2. Play 1-1 and -protect the puck and go to the net and try to score on the whistle.
B. 1-1 Battle with passes to Jokers.
1. Race for the puck on the middle dot.
2. Battle 1-1 protect the puck and pass to Jokers.
3. Go to the net on the whistle.
Number the players and alternate from one circle to the other to give enough rest and allow only one shot on goal at one time. Play the 1-1 battle with no passes first and then add passes to jokers allowed. With 4 players rotate. 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 1-3, 3-4 1-2. Do the same sort of rotation with more players.
Move to doing puck protection along the boards.
B6 Puck Protection and Stick on Puck
Attacker protect the puck by making tight turns and shielding it with the body. Defender maintain net side and stick on the puck.
1. Coach dump the puck into the corner.
2. Offensive player protect the puck for 5".
3. Defensive player stay net side with stick on the puck.
5. On the whistle attacker try to score.
6. Alternate corners.
10 min. Sean – DT Nets back to back game
B500 Defensive Side with Stick on the Puck
Player checks from the defensive side with the stick always on the attackers stick. Keep the stick on the ice when going side to side.
1. Two players work together one of offense one on defense.
2. Half rest half actice on the whistle.
3. Practice about 5" and alternate.
4. Start with no puck with offense shielding with the body defender stick on stick.
5. Progress to using a puck.
T2-4 D400 PK and PP Rotation-Detroit
PK outnumber the PP on loose pucks in the corner. PK skate in straight lines. Always one pk denying the mid point and one in front. PP change the point of attack when outnumbered. Rotate the mid point player to the middle or the back door.
1. Start with everyone in position on the pp and pk.
2. If pk gets the puck start the pplay again from a different spot.
3. On the pplay either the puck or the player moves.
4. PK always lead with the stick on the puck and in passing lanes.
5. PP always give at least two easy outlets.
6. PP give low support when puck on half wall.
7. PK cut the ice in half and force passes that must beat two defenders.
8. Work at each end 30-60" rotate on whistle.
*Game situation: defenders shoot puck to other end.
Do this at one end only and rotate.
DT100 Continuous 1 on 1 D - Join Attack F Backcheck
Forwards cover D and D cover F's. One D should join the attack to create triangles and one forward backcheck. Play tight gaps and attackers create 2 on 1's on the rush. Play 5-5
at each end.
1. Forwards line up on one side and defense on the other.
2. Start with a 1 on 1 attack Blue F1 vs. Red D1.
3. When the puck enters the zone defensive Red F1 support Red D1 and Blue D1 support Blue F1.
4. On transition Red D1 join new attack and Blue F1 backcheck
5. If the puck is dumped out with no possession the offensive team regroup and attack again.
6. Red F1-D1 now go 2 on 2 in the other direction vs. Blue D1-F1.
7. Blue F2 support Blue D1- F1 and Red D3 support attacking Red F1-D1. 8. This rotation continues with a 3-3 in each zone.
The pdf has the original plan but we modified it because only 11 skaters were there, mostly defensemen so I let them practice longer.
Sunday game was vs. the top team in the Northern division. We had 8 F and 4 D. Our captain came when the game started and played half the game then went back to her math tutorial. Our three top scorers and a top D were missing. 0-0 after one, 0-2 after two and they got two goals in the last three minutes to win 0-4. We did a lot of good things on defense but created zero offense. Last time we tied 1-1 and zero penalties. This time zero penalties in the game again. Exams are still on until the end of the month and we have another one game weekend coming up. We are hoping to have our whole team back next week.