34 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Likes:

Quote by: hockeygod

Good stuff Tom! This was one of my favourite threads too but as per your earlier request, I have been putting my comments concerning this topic into the Game Intelligence thread; so I will continue to do that; unless you say it is OK to post here!

-----------------------------------------
Dean, I think the game intelligence thread is your topic. I like this thread because about 5 different coaches contributed their ideas; Kai, Dman etc..

Kai's video presentation of the ever changing game playing roles is exceptional. If coaches understand that the puck changes possession about 6 times every minute of the game they will realize that their practices have to reflect these changes in game situation and game playing roles.

So players are continuously solving the game situations of 0-loose puck, 1-offense, 2-defense and reading where they are on the ice in relationship to their net and the puck (1-2-3-4-5) and in the game playing role of puck carrier, puck support, checking the puck carrier or covering away from the puck.

It isn't good enough to carry the puck around pylons or do flow drills in the neutral zone. These type of activities may be ok for warm up or learning technique but they don't help game sense or reading the play. We need to give the players both the tools to play the game and the toolbox to use the skills in the proper context.

Thanks for the clarification Tom! Kai's video was outstanding!

I agree 100% with your last comment - regarding pylons / flow drills. These should be for warmup; but the bulk of the 'lesson plan' should be under game-like conditions (competition, fun, accountability, consequences.) That is what I have been advocating in the Game Intelligence thread!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Quote by: rcmat

Quote by: hockeygod

Now I need to figure out a way to quickly get it available to show players - ie immediately on site - looking at a small notebook / ipad but I need to learn more... can anyone provide advice?

There are a number of coaching video apps out for ipad: Coach's Eye, Coach My Video, etc. I have not experimented with any of them, but they are cheap enough (relative to the ipad) that they might be worth experimenting with. I have not checked droid apps but presumably there are similar programs. Please let me know if you find something that works well for ice hockey!

Thanks rcmat! No iPad or Tablet in my possession yet, but I want to get one for my Fall training. I will check these ones that you suggest. Had a rugby coach make some suggestions too - I will post them when I get time to find them. A few were related to golf - you can take video, slow it down and mark it up - to show the individual. Easily used for all sports!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

I personally have a droid tablet and will try experimenting with some of the software for that and report back in the coming month or two.

Junior

I got Coach's Eye for my iphone and it looks
Great for $5. Other one is free but not as good. It will be greatt for
Individual feedback and u can send the edited video to the athlete

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
34 posts :: Page 2 of 2