20 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 20655 times)  

Guys we got beat 17 -1 last night . The team was superior but no effort from the start . We practice tonight , how should this go ? Bag skate ( no work last night ) or regular practice with battle drills incorporated ? and attention to hard work

When we got beat ugly. We would go through the game before the next practice. meybe from video if possible or on white board. And we would involve players into conversation. Beacause players too have some kind of idea what went wrong or what was good. Then we would leave it behind and focus to things ahead.

Kai

Kai

You get beat because either the other team is better, you are just as good but no puck luck, they worked hard and you didn't, you both worked hard and the skill level is similar but they have better playing habits.

You never want to admit that you just aren't good enough because then there is a built in excuse.

I suggest you focus on working harder and having good habits. You have a coaching window because the players are looking for answers and will be listening if you bring good ideas forward.

Focus on Defensive side, tight gaps and close support on both offense and defense. Finish practice with a very hard 20 min. skate to emphasize hard work but not break their spirit. After practice ask the players why the practice was like it was and make sure the conclusion is that they need to play with good habits and work hard.

I hope these ideas help.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Drink heavily!!!

Try some Duff beer.... or rye.

Seriously, if the other team was better, that's life. But if your work ethic is / was poor, more battle and competition drills. Hold the kids accountable in practice... But I wouldn't bag skate them. Maybe a disguised bag skate in the form of continuous backcheck games and other physically demanding situations to 'remind' them - but it needs to have a purpose.

Learn from it and move on.

Some days you are the bug and other days you are the windshield!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Thanks guys . Tom I did what you suggested . Half hour tactics, last half hour competitive races and then the ol' J drill . They responded well and worked hard to show good work ethic ( dryland followed ! ) We practice Saturday before our Sunday game . Will focus on good work habits and solid team play .

-----------------------
Smac, good luck with the game. If you watch Kai's video of Detroit vs Pitt. you see the true nature of the game which is constant transition from offense-loose puck-defense- offense etc. That is why good habits and close support are critical. The good thing is that these things are teachable and a team with good habits, which means it is working hard because bad habits are usually lazy habits, can really improve throughout a season.

Face the puck, stick on stick and body on body, defensive side, play tight gaps, stick in the passing lanes, give a target, give and go, move to open ice when you get the puck, create 2-1's on offense and defense, shoot quickly and follow your shot, head on a swivel and count the players to know your role. All of these habits are what separate and effective player from an ineffective player.

If you can get your players to buy into playing with good habits then your team can reach it's potential which may be the championship or may be being competitive in every game.
Tom

What is your opinion, should the practice after the game reflect the game you had?

I really would like to have some other views on this. Because we followed our weekly plan quite to the letter.
our week looked like this: (this was U18 team)

Thursday: off-ice + on-ice (team play)
Friday: off- ice + on-ice (pre game team play)
Saturday: Game
Sunday: Game
Monday: off-ice (aerobic/recovery) + on-ice (skills / low tempo)
Tuesday: off-ice + on-ice (individual tactics/ sag etc)
Wednesday: no practice

We would do some adjustments depending on the games but the monday was always low tempo skills.
So any thoughts on monday sessions or how do you see the whole week program

-----------------------------
Kai

Kai, when I have a team that practices regularly as I had in college I follow this plan. The first 20-30 minutes in every practice focuses on role 1.
Monday, Game playing role 1, practice individual offensive skills and skating skills. Dryland after practice with activities like spin class on bikes or plyo's.
Tuesday: Game playing role 3, individual defensive skills. Checking techniques and situations up to 3-3.
Wed. Game playing role 2, team offensive skills. Breakouts, power play, cycling etc. Situations 4-3 to 6-5
Thurs. Game playing role 4. team defensive skills, dzone, pk, battling. Situations 3-4 to 5 on 6.
Game Fri. Sat.
Tom

Kai

Kai,

I like how you have your weekly template set up. Based on your analysis, what works well and what doesn’t… and why? Can you improve it? I am interested in hearing your assessment (and no doubt, so are others!)

I am going to post something under the "art of coaching" thread you might find interesting...

Regards,

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hi all,

Our weekly plan goes something like this (changes possible as usual but the general guide line is as):
Mon:
- Off-ice: strength (for example; 8-10 x 2 x 10 one-legged squats w/ 2.5kg weight)
- On-ice: skills (for example; skating, skating w/ puck, puck handling and etc.) + SAGs
Tue:
- Part of the team is at practice w/ club coaches, rest are resting or hopefully playing something outside (pihapeli?) :-)
Wed:
- Off-ice: speed (for example; spurts w/ decision, one-legged skips or jumps, plyometrics)
- On-ice: skills (for example; passing drills) + SAGs
Thu:
- Off-ice: agility or "movement frequency" (for example; agility ladder drills as specific to skating as possible w/ high foot speed)
- On-ice: game situations (for example; 1-1, 2-1, 1-2 and etc. since Thu is half-group only practice = repetitions)
Fri:
- Off-ice: mobility (for example; dynamic mobility w/ some "animal" movements, bear, crab and etc.)
- On-ice: high tempo drills and game (for example; 2-2 in small area like corner w/ keep-away or scoring, high speed passing drills and anything from 3-2 continuous to a 5-5 game)
Sat/Sun:
- Game(s)

Has worked in my opinion though Mon is sometimes a hard evening for the boys...

Junior

Koutsi97,

What age group / skill level is this plan for? Curious to know before I can put it into context....

The international SISEC midget team trains just outside of the city on a bedroom town (Cochrane). They train a ton! Not sure how periodized it is... here is a general plan: (all practices on-ice unless noted.)

Fri / Sat / Sun games. One of these days is sometimes off (but includes travel as they drive from Kelowna and Penticton BC to Banff AB, to Cochrane AB and Calgary AB. Some tourney's too...)

Mon 7-8 am; 11 am - 12 pm (with me); 4-5 pm; 515-615 pm off-ice
Tues 7-8 am; 4-5 pm
Wed 7-8 am; 4-5 pm; 515-615 pm off-ice
Thurs 7-8 am; 9-10 am (with me); 4-5 pm

Crazy schedule. They might have changed it a bit since the start of the season- as they only have about 17 players this year (including 3 goalies) and several are hurt. Some are chronic; some acute. I think overtraining could be an issue / cause here. (But I don't know exactly "what" they do or "when" - all I know is the kids often seem tired.)

Finally, your avatar appears to be a big yellow lion... but my failing eyesight can detect a very tiny beer (or is that vodka?) in it's hand... you should see if you can come up with a bigger beer avatar!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: hockeygod

Koutsi97,

What age group / skill level is this plan for? Curious to know before I can put it into context....

Sorry for the late answer. Games Sat and Sun, practices Mon, so no computer time for me. These are '97 born so is it U14 boys, we have about 30 skaters and 4 goalies divided to two playing teams but they practice together Mon, Wed and Fri. Except the boys who practice Tue with the club coaches, they have the Wed as resting day.

Junior

Thanks Koutsi97!

Are these considered elite U14's? Or average / club level; or recreational level?

Understandable that Mondays are tougher with this schedule.

Good to see the weights aren't too heavy as they are still at the age where the PHV (Peak Height Velocity) - or growth spurt - for males - is just occurring.

One of the SISEC kids was tested last week (he tore some muscles off his hip) and the MRI results showed that even though he is 17 years old, he still has some growing to do... he is only 5'7" and 145 lbs. The Doctors couldn't tell him how much he will grow, but said the growth plates hadn't fused together yet. So he is happy he will grow; time will tell if this is a career-ending injury (for hockey.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Thanks Koutsi97!

Are these considered elite U14's? Or average / club level; or recreational level?

Good to see the weights aren't too heavy as they are still at the age where the PHV (Peak Height Velocity) - or growth spurt - for males - is just occurring.

One of the SISEC kids was tested last week (he tore some muscles off his hip) and the MRI results showed that even though he is 17 years old, he still has some growing to do... he is only 5'7" and 145 lbs. The Doctors couldn't tell him how much he will grow, but said the growth plates hadn't fused together yet. So he is happy he will grow; time will tell if this is a career-ending injury (for hockey.)

Some of Finnish hockey clubs use doctors to determine the junior players biological age before they start strenght training with bigger weights. (I wish we had this system too in our club)

Kai

Kai

Some of Finnish hockey clubs use doctors to determine the junior players biological age before they start strenght training with bigger weights. (I wish we had this system too in our club)

Kai[/p][/QUOTE]In a perfect world, this service would be available to us at a reasonable fee and on a reasonable timeline! But it is not the norm here... one has to guesstimate!

I found it odd that this SISEC kid (at 17) still has growing to do! He is probably at the one end of the Bell Curve for growth / age. This is not the norm, but again, chronological age doesn't always line up with biological age... individual differences are just that - they vary from one to another!

The best thing to come out of this discussion is that more coaches become aware of when PHV occurs (stereotypically speaking); knows not to kill the kids with heavy weights during this delicate time; and is aware of individual differences.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kai

In a perfect world, this service would be available to us at a reasonable fee and on a reasonable timeline! But it is not the norm here... one has to guesstimate!

I found it odd that this SISEC kid (at 17) still has growing to do! He is probably at the one end of the Bell Curve for growth / age. This is not the norm, but again, chronological age doesn't always line up with biological age... individual differences are just that - they vary from one to another!

The best thing to come out of this discussion is that more coaches become aware of when PHV occurs (stereotypically speaking); knows not to kill the kids with heavy weights during this delicate time; and is aware of individual differences.

Biological age vary +/- 4 years in one age group. That is makes coaching teenagers challenging. you need good planing fpr your oof-ace training so that everyone gets right and safe training.

Kai

Thanks Koutsi97!

I think most of these players are considered to be elite or AAA level. The 2.5kg disk is all we have for these and that's good, you can make things more difficult instead of just having bigger weights. For example like in here by using one-legged squat instead of the two-legged version. One step from this example could be one-legged snatch with that 2.5kg disk, perform the one-legged squat at the balance board or similar and so on. Usually also planks are used on Mondays to develop core instead of legs but anyway Mon is our strength day in every case.

The growth spurt might have occurred for very few of these, most are having it at we speak and some it is to be happen :-), so we know that the age is very difficult. We have very good coaching staff with this team and in my opinion we are doing good with these kids. I am personally proud that injuries due to the training is very rear with these, we have been trying to teach the right movements and take as much dynamic mobility and dynamic movements as possible, stretching they have to do by themselves at home. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2vO-4k-x_k

Need to have a beer with camera since I don't own any photo with beer in my hand??? Strange, but don't worry we have this player "mapping/survey/checkup" next weekend at Vuokatti, Sotkamo, were we have about 80 players and some coaches all around from northern Finland, maybe in Sat evening after sitting 6 hours at the ice rink we have change to take a few, photos I mean ;-)...

Junior

Koutsi97,
Kerro Saastamoiselle terveisiä Kaitsulta (i guess he's still with FIHA. ) And take easy with them photos.

Kai

That's some advanced work you guys are doing to ensure the health and safety of your players. I like it a lot. You'll have to bear with me on this one, as my players are 18 at the youngest and I haven't had any late bloomers as far as height is concerned. They all put on a good deal of mass in their time with me, but the majority of that seems to be genetics.

I recall my pediatrician showing me the chart he kept of my growth, and at age 17 I had plateaued at 5'8". It was then I realized I would never be a drop and block goalie, but that's a discussion for another time. Obviously being able to directly see if the growth plates have fused yet is the best determining measure of when a player can safely proceed with heavier weights, but in your experience, how much more accurate is that from the aforementioned chart my doctor kept? Is waiting for a flattened growth curve not accurate enough?

To the O.P., I have suffered losses this year due to both talent deficiency and effort deficiency. Hang in there! My teams that have suffered losses early in the season tend to be my best teams at the end of the year. They don't get complacent like the teams that win early do. If you can keep them motivated to advance their skills all season, then the progression will be noticeable when you face a team for the second and third time. I've dealt with losses like that by addressing it immediately at practice. I usually bring the guys in and make a joke about what a circus we were in the last game, but tell them that we need to dig deep and always compete, no matter the score. I follow up with drills and games that emphasize competition (winning foot races, corner battles, etc.), and keep score. Tom has talked about competition days like this (obviously where I stole this brilliant idea from) and I've rewarded the winning team with movie tickets before as well.

Quote by: Bostonian in SoCal

That's some advanced work you guys are doing to ensure the health and safety of your players. I like it a lot. You'll have to bear with me on this one, as my players are 18 at the youngest and I haven't had any late bloomers as far as height is concerned. They all put on a good deal of mass in their time with me, but the majority of that seems to be genetics.

I recall my pediatrician showing me the chart he kept of my growth, and at age 17 I had plateaued at 5'8". It was then I realized I would never be a drop and block goalie, but that's a discussion for another time. Obviously being able to directly see if the growth plates have fused yet is the best determining measure of when a player can safely proceed with heavier weights, but in your experience, how much more accurate is that from the aforementioned chart my doctor kept? Is waiting for a flattened growth curve not accurate enough?

Bostonian,

I doubt you have this info, but if you did... it could be a good predictor of each players PHV. IE: if you have access to individual charts (ht and wt changes monthly) from each player over time (from when they started their growth spurt... perhaps around 13-14 YO, to the current date; remembering individual differences), and the ht / wt of the parents, you could start making educated guesses as to where they are at regarding growth. Obviously, this is still inexact when compared to the advanced methods discussed above, but would provide a better ballpark than "guessing" alone!

I would imagine that all things being equal, starting on heavier weights at 18 YO (chronological) would be fairly safe. (I am not a Dr. in real life; nor do I play one on TV! ) Check the Canadian Sport For Life (LTAD) site for more info based on guidelines for the appropriate training age for your 18-20 YO's - "Training to Compete."

http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/

Here is some more info for you from this site:

Developmental Age

The terms “growth” and “maturation” are often used together and sometimes synonymously. However, each refers to specific biological activities. Growth refers to observable step-by-step changes in quantity and measurable changes in body size such as height, weight, and fat percentage. Maturation refers to qualitative system changes, both structural and functional, in the body’s progress toward maturity such as the change of cartilage to bone in the skeleton.

Development refers to “the interrelationship between growth and maturation in relation to the passage of time. The concept of development also includes the social, emotional, intellectual, and motor realms of the child.”

Chronological age refers to the number of years and days elapsed since birth. Children of the same chronological age can differ by several years in their level of biological maturation.

Developmental age refers to the degree of physical, mental, cognitive, and emotional maturity. Physical developmental age can be determined by skeletal maturity or bone age after which mental, cognitive, and emotional maturity is incorporated.

Figure 4 Maturation in Girls and Boys (Adapted from "Growing Up" by J.M. Tanner Scientific American 1973)

LTAD requires the identification of early, average, and late maturers in order to help to design appropriate training and competition programs in relation to optimal trainability and readiness. The beginning of the growth spurt and the peak of the growth spurt are very significant in LTAD applications to training and competition design. Specific disabilities may dramatically change the timing and sequence of childhood and adolescent development.

Figure 5 Maturity Events in Girls (Modified after Ross et al.1977)

PHV in girls occurs at about 12 years of age. Usually the first physical sign of adolescence is breast budding, which occurs slightly after the onset of the growth spurt. Shortly thereafter, pubic hair begins to grow. Menarche, or the onset of menstruation, comes rather late in the growth spurt, occurring after PHV is achieved. The sequence of developmental events may normally occur 2 or even more years earlier or later than average.

Figure 6 Maturity Events in Boys (Modified after Ross et al.1977)

PHV in boys is more intense than in girls and on average occurs about 2 years later. Growth of the testes, pubic hair, and penis are related to the maturation process. Peak Strength Velocity (PSV) comes a year or so after PHV. Thus, there is pronounced late gain in strength characteristics of the male athlete. As with girls, the developmental sequence for male athletes may occur 2 or more years earlier or later than average. Early maturing boys may have as much as a 4-year physiological advantage over their late-maturing peers. Eventually, the late maturers will catch up when they experience their growth spurt.

Currently, most athletic training and competition programs are based on chronological age. However, athletes of the same age between ages 10 and 16 can be 4 to 5 years apart developmentally. Thus, chronological age is a poor guide to segregate adolescents for competitions.

Training age refers to the age where athletes begin planned, regular, serious involvement in training. The tempo of a child’s growth has significant implications for athletic training because children who mature at an early age have a major advantage during the Training to Train stage compared to average or late maturers. However, after all athletes have gone through their growth spurt, it is often later maturers who have greater potential to become top athletes provided they experience quality coaching throughout that period.

Train to Compete
Ages 16-23+/- in Males & 15-21 +/- in Females

Depending on the sport, for females ages 15-21+/- and males ages 16-23+/-, this is where things get “serious.” They can either choose to specialize in one sport and pursue a competitive stream, or they can continue participating at a recreational level and thereby enter the Active for Life stage. In the competitive stream, high volume and high intensity training begins to occur year-round.

To-Do List

* Provide year-round, high intensity, individual event, and position-specific training.
* Teach athletes, who are now proficient at performing basic and sport specific skills, to perform those skills under a variety of competitive conditions during training.
* Place special emphasis on optimum preparation by ‘modelling’ high competitions in training.
* Individually tailor to a greater degree fitness programs, recovery programs, psychological preparation, and technical development. Emphasize individual preparation that addresses each athlete’s individual strengths and weaknesses.
* Select 1 sport.
* Utilize single, double, and triple periodization as the optimal framework of preparation.
* Change the training-to-competition and competition-specific training ratio to 40:60. Devote 40 per cent of available time to the development of technical and tactical skills and improving fitness and 60 per cent of training to competition and competition-specific training.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: Kai K

Koutsi97,
Kerro Saastamoiselle terveisiä Kaitsulta (i guess he's still with FIHA. ) And take easy with them photos.

Kerrotaan kerrotaan, Napeahan näkee jopa hallilla silloin tällöin, poika taitaa pelata 99':seissä. And yes, we will try to keep the photo session in the limits of good taste ;-)...

Junior

Quote by: Koutsi97

Quote by: Kai K

Koutsi97,

Kerrotaan kerrotaan, Napeahan näkee jopa hallilla silloin tällöin, poika taitaa pelata 99':seissä. And yes, we will try to keep the photo session in the limits of good taste ;-)...

Not sure I understood what was said... say hi to someone?... bit I did understand the bit about the photos!

Looking forward to a new beer avatar from you!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

groggy
20 posts :: Page 1 of 1