60 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Likes:

I recently came across a copy of the Lener "Transition: Defense to Offense" and have found it to be a great resource. I'm not sure on copyright rules but if it is legal or if someone who knows him gets permission, I could scan and post it. But I would feel most comfortable with his permission.

I am constantly looking for handouts from coaching clinics, seminars, etc to add to my collection. If anyone has any or has a good website, (other then this one of course!) with some on it, I would love to get in touch and swap.

This site has several well thought out outlines and handouts for free.

http://www.omha.net/flash.asp?page_id=291

Quote by: Eric

I recently came across a copy of the Lener "Transition: Defense to Offense" and have found it to be a great resource. I'm not sure on copyright rules but if it is legal or if someone who knows him gets permission, I could scan and post it. But I would feel most comfortable with his permission.

I am constantly looking for handouts from coaching clinics, seminars, etc to add to my collection. If anyone has any or has a good website, (other then this one of course!) with some on it, I would love to get in touch and swap.

This site has several well thought out outlines and handouts for free.

http://www.omha.net/flash.asp?page_id=291

Eric,

Slava's and Erkka's books are copyrighted. As a former employee of Hockey Canada (now a contractor) and as an acquaintance of both gentlemen, you shouldn't post them up here. For those who want to see if they still have some in stock, please contact Hockey Canada - The Breakaway Store: Orders 1-800-667-2242 Customer Service 1-800-667-2242

Don't forget Tom Renney and Mike Johnston also published "40 of the Best" in the same pamphlet form...

Check http://breakaway.hockeycanada.ca/ for manuals, videos, etc.

Thanks for sharing the OMHA site!

Regards,

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Quote by: DMan

Dean,

Thanks for the feedback. A few points for clarification.

Skating low: We have a relatively unskilled group for their age, and they tend to play the game very straight-legged. By skating low I'm referring to deep knee bend / low center of gravity. I think this improves every aspect of a players game, but it's a hard thing to change. We spent a good deal of time in the weight room in the off-season trying to improve leg strength. It still needs a lot of attention and work though.

Calling for the pass: I like your idea of silent hockey. Unfortunately we already play silent hockey, but it's a different quality. I agree that calling tips off the defenders, but we are not at that level yet. For us communication speeds up our puck movement, which is a primary challenge.

Minimizing puck handling: We tend to overhandle the puck in game situations instead of driving / transitioning with the puck already in passing / shooting position. As a result we are very predictable to other teams because we have to pull the puck into position before passing or shooting. Again, we're dealing with much lower talent level than you do though.

Thanks again.....looking forward to that video. Sure wish you could attach one of those beers to your post....they sound awfully good.

ps. I played some pick-up yesterday with that wood stick I picked up and what a difference! I was able to spend way more time looking up at the play (what a concept) instead of playing catch-up with the puck. I'm inspired to convert some players. Thanks again.

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. What level / age are you coaching?

A deep knee bend / low centre of gravity is great! Hopefully they have strong "weapons platform" (core) so they can effectively transfer their gains in the weight room to the ice!

To speed up puck movement, encourage "heads up hockey." I.E.: perform the skills with the head up! This will allow the players to see the play and help them analyze the situations. It will also allow them to make eye contact, read body language, etc.

Puck control - if they are proficient with stationary and moving passing and receiving, then work on "one-touch" or "no-dust" passes. This means no stickhandling ... you get the puck and it's gone! Or... you carry it / protect it as you drive around a defender / go to the net... set a wall / position your body between the defender and your puck... like Tom says, the "triple threat position" is the best approach once you enter the offensive zone! Practice, practice, practice!

Tom has downloaded some of my videos of the Flames / Caps / Detroit / Hitmen practice. I presume he will start posting them when he gets time. I know he burned them to a DVD as I didn't have the proper AV out to Firewire cable for him. He left me a voicemail this weekend, so I am going to try to pick one up... been busy evaluating coaches this weekend!

I hope you continue to be a disciple of "the woody!"

I will do my best to attach a beer to a future post... they were (are?) DEEE-LISHHH-USSSSS!

Cheers!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Fun Could Go A Long Way In Saving Hockey

By Ed Shamy- Burlington Free Press
Published: Thursday, October 18, 2007

Many Vermont parents dread the moment when their 6-year-old announces he or she would like to play ice hockey.

A youth hockey player poses the immediate threat of wrenching apart the tightest knit of clans, what with the bizarre hours of available ice time, the long road trips in hazardous winter weather and considerable expense of a heavily padded sport played on cold ice in enclosed rinks far from home.

And then of course there is the dividend: The privilege of watching 12 children under the age of 8 spread out on a full-size hockey rink, some barely moving for entire periods.

"It can be pretty painful," cedes Fritz Langrock, a hockey parent.

Parents and their children have reacted in recent years by steering clear of hockey in Vermont. The number of participants has slumped. Some towns have struggled to field teams because youth ice hockey developed such a reputation as an expensive hassle.

Langrock is president of the Vermont State Amateur Hockey Association, the group that oversees the youth leagues that are now beginning practices.

The members of the hockey association, peering into a Vermont future in which hockey -- traditionally a cornerstone of the athletic kingdom -- could become marginalized, have this year instituted changes to reverse the trend.

The youngest group of competitive hockey players, the mites, will play "half-ice" games with three players on each side rather than six. Goals will be half as far apart as they were a year ago, and with fewer players the hope is that the players will be able to get more involved. To skate more and to actually handle the puck.

This must come as a relief to some hockey players. After all, to be 45 inches tall and to be strapped into skates, gloves, sweaters, helmets, pads and high socks and to stare 200 feet down the ice must feel the same way Columbus felt peering through his glass searching for land on the far side of the ocean. Now it will be 85 feet or so, a much more do-able distance.

Langrock said the association hopes players will be lured back by the increased activity of the game. Full-size rinks could be used for two or even three games at once, he said, so tournaments could be held in less time, which could translate into less travel. And costs could drop.

Some basic rules, such as icing and offsides won't be strictly enforced. There will be no more state tournament for mites. And teams will be encouraged to bring practice jerseys with them so that if one town's team seems too dominant, coaches from the two teams can mix players to get the best competitive balance.

That, Langrock said, could defuse some of the more rabid fans by encouraging them to root for whichever team their child is playing for regardless of the mix, rather than for one program over another.

"Once the parents see it, once the kids see it, it's going to be a blast," he predicted.

But, too, he acknowledged that not everyone goes into this new world order as thrilled as he is.

Some see it as blasphemy, tinkering with the rules and diluting the competitive spirit. And besides, how will young puck handlers learn the basic rules of the game if they're just skating willy-nilly on a short rink?

Hockey has a bad habit of periodically shooting itself in the foot, whether through college hazing scandals or professional work stoppages.

The new rules of mite hockey are a breath of fresh air for a sport that too often seems so adept at withering.

If a 7-year-old doesn't learn to love playing hockey, it doesn't much matter that by age 9 he or she won't know all the rules. Won't be playing anyhow.

Get the kid hooked on the sport, then teach them the rules, goes the new philosophy. Kids learn easily.

With luck, we can teach some of the old hockey parents a new trick, too. The game is supposed to be fun.

Remember? That's why we "play" hockey.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Here is an article about values... too often, we adults forget just how influential (positive or negative) we can be on the kids...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

When smiles leave the game

By Tim Wendel, USA TODAY, Aug 22, 2005

Growing up, Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana pitched perfect games in Little League baseball and was so adept at high school basketball that North Carolina State offered him a scholarship.

Baseball slugger Mark McGwire quit baseball temporarily his sophomore year in high school to play golf. If he hadn't become caught up in the ongoing steroids controversy, he would be playing in more pro-ams and maybe eventually on the senior PGA Tour. He was almost as good with a golf club in his hands as he was with a baseball bat.

Deion Sanders was such a well-rounded athlete as a kid he became the only athlete to ever play in both a World Series and a Super Bowl. "Parents need to make the major decisions that affect their kids' lives," Sanders says. "But when it comes to play, they shouldn't discourage a broad approach. When a child wants to color, do you tell him to use just one black crayon?"

That's precisely what we're doing with our budding sports stars. Because of the influence of travel teams and the tantalizing hope of a college sports scholarship, the days when kids marked the seasons by the sport — football in fall, basketball and hockey in winter, and track, lacrosse and baseball in spring — are over. One wonders what would have happened to Montana, McGwire or Sanders if they were young sports stars in this day and age.

"We have reached the point of saturation — a vicious revolving door of never-ending seasons," says Fred Engh, founder of the National Alliance for Youth Sports and author of Why Johnny Hates Sports. "Children can't even take a couple of months' hiatus from a sport for fear of falling behind their peers and being excluded from teams the following seasons. Those elite teams, all those trophies — that's what the parents want."

'Dream for parents'

Summer hockey, fall baseball, indoor winter soccer, elite year-round teams that travel far from their neighborhoods — these are all part of a new kidcentric culture in which specialization supposedly breeds success.

Says sports psychologist Rick Wolff, author of Coaching Kids for Dummies: "Excelling in sports has become as much a part of the American dream for parents as getting their kids into the best school and living in the best neighborhoods."

But here's the dirty little secret: According to the NCAA, in men's college basketball, 2.9% of athletes make the jump from high school to the collegiate level. Only 3.1% of players make it in women's basketball, 5.8% in football and 5.6% in baseball. For most sports, the odds of a college athlete playing professionally are less than two in 100.

"Parents are using their kids as a lottery ticket," Sanders says. "Before all this money came along, moms and dads didn't go crazy at games. They didn't curse their kids and get on them to play better. It was just fun. Now, there's a Yellow Brick Road, and parents think it's their ticket."

In making youth sports so specialized, so adult, we're killing our children's joy for the games.

More than 70% of those who begin playing sports in elementary school will have quit by high school, according to the Institute for the Study of Youth Sports at Michigan State University. "Starting out, most kids just want to play. It's the parents who keep score," says Christopher Andersonn, author of Will You Still Love Me If I Don't Win. "They can kill the love a kid has for a sport. Once that's gone, it's very hard to recapture it."

The American Academy of Pediatrics cautions about overuse injuries (tendonitis, stress fractures) in children who were specializing or training year-round in sports.

As my two kids have grown up, I've coached them in soccer, basketball, baseball, lacrosse and ice hockey. I've told the stories about Montana, McGwire and Sanders to the parents who have children on my teams. Afterward they smile, as if I'm teasing them, and then the puzzlement creeps across their face as they realize I'm dead serious. Most of the best athletes of our time played just about every sport growing up — usually in the back yard, in the street.

That's not to say my family hasn't been affected by our society's single-sport obsession. In almost every sport my kids have played, high-powered coaches and commissioners have tried to steer us away from local leagues to more elite, even travel teams. They've often urged my children to play their particular sport year-round and attend intensive sports camps.

Sometimes, we've said no. But other times we've been caught up in the sports hype, occasionally with disastrous results. My son, who is a pretty good swimmer, recently announced he had had enough. Swimming just wasn't fun anymore.

What stays with players

At such times I vow to do a better job as a parent, and I remember something Montana said years ago, when he was as All-Pro quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers. It was after another game in which Montana had rallied his team for a last-minute victory.

When reporters asked Montana about one of the pivotal plays, when he evaded a blitzing defender coming from his blindside, he smiled that Cheshire Cat grin of his and said, "Didn't you guys recognize that move?"

Puzzled looks all around. Nobody knew what he was talking about.

"It's an old basketball move," Montana explained. "Spin away from your man, remember?"

"You guys forget I was a pretty good basketball player. They offered me a college scholarship in that, too."

Tim Wendel is a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors. His books include Castro's Curveball and The New Face of Baseball.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean,

I have a group of high school players in a community where hockey is relatively new. Our rink is 7 years old, so our oldest kids (18 years) didn't start playing until they were 11. The younger kids coming in are better skilled on the whole (14 year old-s who started at age 7) but they are smaller and not quite ready for the physical aspects of the game.

My biggest challenge is: How much time do I spend on strategy and game play concepts, and how much do I spend on individual skills. Our skill deficiencies always seem to get in the way of execution, both offensive & defensive.

Thanks for leading the charge on the discussion board.

Dave

Quote by: DMan

Dean,

I have a group of high school players in a community where hockey is relatively new. Our rink is 7 years old, so our oldest kids (18 years) didn't start playing until they were 11. The younger kids coming in are better skilled on the whole (14 year old-s who started at age 7) but they are smaller and not quite ready for the physical aspects of the game.

My biggest challenge is: How much time do I spend on strategy and game play concepts, and how much do I spend on individual skills. Our skill deficiencies always seem to get in the way of execution, both offensive & defensive.

Thanks for leading the charge on the discussion board.

Dave

Dave,

If you can't execute the basic skills, you are wasting time on strategy and team play concepts and increasing everyone's frustration levels... they won't be capable of executing them consistently (on-ice.) Why don't you rent a gym, or go to a parking lot, and do all of your team tactics using floor hockey sticks (unihockey / floorball) and or just using a walk through with a ball as they can all walk, right??!! You can also use European Handball to teach principles of play... I run an entire sequence of games off-ice that I can also use on-ice. I have done these with soccer and hockey and it can also apply to basketball as it is very similar (continuous team play.)

My suggestion is to judge your time accordingly. So more time, especially early (now) on skills. Stationary (but with heads up), then once they become competent, get them moving. Then once they get competent, try to get them to execute the same skills more quickly (heads up.) When they get better, put pressure on them... like keep score (accountability) - how many shots hit the net, passes can they make on the tape out of 10, use time limits to put pressure on, etc. Be creative!

Not knowing exactly your skill level, it is tough to say. But I would spend 10-15 minutes doing a skill warmup (skills in combination - individual skills progressing to individual tactics - skating, puck control, shooting); then some team tactics (2 or more players involved) for another 10-15 minutes; then I would spend the rest of the time on Smart Transitional Games. These improve intensity, competition (keep score and losers have to do something - winners get a break / water), fitness and require the individuals to perform skills and tactics in a real-life setting (under pressure / on demand) so the game becomes the teacher! Plus they are fun!

Remember... SKILLS first with heads up. Then increase the speed / pace expectations with heads up. (Try the silence rule.) Then increase the pressure while they perform the skill with heads up at speed. Then they should be able to perform these under demand.

Just my 2 cents...

PS If you haven't bought Tom's book, you should! He has a ton of good stuff in there and it is presented in a logical, progressive manner!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Thanks Dean,

I have both of Tom's books, and they have helped me a lot over the last two years. It's easy to fall into a rut though, and to keep repeating the same activities so I'll go back and look at book 2. In terms of our skill I'd say we just meet level 4 criteria by Tom's book standards.

We have 90 minute practices so there's lots of time for skill development. I have been following a routine pretty close to what you outlined, shooting for a minimum of 30 minutes of games & scrimmage per session. Today I tried using 2 v 2 cross-ice games as a warm-up and it was great.....the kids loved it, the intensity was high, and I think it made for a better practice on the whole.

I appreciate the feedback on the development issues. The hard thing is we can usually hang in games, but always get clobbered on special teams. It's pretty hard to run a powerplay effectively when you don't spend much time on it.

Dave

Ha its hard to take you serious when your avatar is you with a huge beer.
Smile

Aberdeen, if you have coached for as long as I have, you would understand the need for a big beer!

Actually, I have a hard time taking my beer seriously when it is so... small. I am always searching for a bigger beer mug!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

thirsty

Enclosed are two articles from my friend Igor Andrejkovic; (Department of Games, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia) The first paper is his PhD Thesis while the second is a further scientific paper he published.

Article 1 - RELATION IN SOLVING A 1 ON 1 GAME SITUATION DURING MATCHES AND WITHIN TRAINING SESSIONS IN ICE-HOCKEY JUNIOR U 18 CATEGORY

Article 2 - RELATION OF SOLVING 2 ON 2 GAME SITUATION DURING MATCHES AND WITHIN TRAINING SESSIONS IN ICE-HOCKEY U 18 CATEGORY

Original scientific paper
Sport Science 2 (2009) 2: 20‐26

Pay particular attention to the conclusions; particularly in Article 1, where Igor discusses the proportion of time spent in practices on 1 vs. 1 / 2 vs. 1 / 1 vs. 2!

In rationalization of the training process:

• Dominant attention in the offensive game phase should be paid to solving a typical 1 on 1
game situation. From the point of view of results of championship matches, it is a critical
game situation. A successfully solved 1 on 1 game situation in the offensive game phase
means outnumbering, winning space, better position of players towards opponents’ goal
cage and many times an individual penetration.

Proportionality of particular typical game situations within training sessions should be
derived from the frequency of occurrence of these game situations in championship
matches. For the junior category we basically recommend 1 on 1 game situations (45
percent), 2 on 1 game situations (35 percent) and 1 on 2 game situations (10 percent).

• While improving offensive game activities of individuals in typical 1 on 1 game situations,
game exercises and preparation games should be applied under conditions similar to
matches.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I hate the way academics write. Sounds like useful information, if only I understood it

Try reading it after a BIG beer!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

This submission is based on Kai’s question (Nov 11, 2011) under the “17-1 loss” thread.

“What is your opinion, should the practice after the game reflect the game you had?

I really would like to have some other views on this. Because we followed our weekly plan quite to the letter.
our week looked like this: (this was U18 team)

Thursday: off-ice + on-ice (team play)
Friday: off- ice + on-ice (pre game team play)
Saturday: Game
Sunday: Game
Monday: off-ice (aerobic/recovery) + on-ice (skills / low tempo)
Tuesday: off-ice + on-ice (individual tactics/ sag etc)
Wednesday: no practice

We would do some adjustments depending on the games but the Monday was always low tempo skills.

So any thoughts on Monday sessions or how do you see the whole week program?”

-----

I like how Kai outlined his weekly template. I wondered what he thought of it?

His question, “What is your opinion, should the practice after the game reflect the game you had?" I see this as a “what comes first – the chicken or the egg" big picture question - i.e.: what comes first. I certainly think that there is a great inter-relationship between performance in games and what you do in practice (both before and after the games.)

Good practice habits and a high level of work ethic are non-negotiables in my world. I have to communicate my expectations, then reinforce them. It doesn't happen over night. But let's assume these are now in place. How you practice is how you will play. If you tolerate sloppy passes in practice; if you allow kids to play a puck OTHER than the one that glanced off their stick and went down the ice, etc., you are setting yourself up for problems.

Now you keep working on skills and tactics following my mantra of SKILLS with HEADS UP; increase the PACE of EXECUTION; add PRESSURE; and then the players must be able to PRODUCE SKILLS WITH HEAD UP, AT SPEED, ON DEMAND (consistency.) Based on what went well and what didn't in the game, these are areas you should address within future practices.

Games are like final exams; practices are preparation for the exams. Games provide feedback on how practice went. So if your PP was brutal during the game, ask yourself why. Look at the individual skills, tactics, team tactics and systems you have - do you have the personnel to execute your systems - where are their skill sets and hockey sense? Are the ‘right’ guys playing at the ‘right times?’ Do you construct practice to force your PP to play under pressure - hopefully in a similar style to your opponent? What did the opposition do that shut you down? Can you adapt your system / personnel to overcome their play? Were you flat and didn't execute (mental issues?) Or did you perform well, but the other team flat out was better than you on that day (it can happen!)

It has been that my experience, even with an Annual Plan (or Yearly Training Plan), the coach still needs to be constantly aware of the ebb and flow of his team and the individuals... it could be personal issues (family, girlfriend, school, work, etc.) or team issues, fatigue levels, lack of hydration / bad nutrition, injuries and rehab, etc. There is an inter-relationship between the YTP, the game and practice. The coach needs to be making ongoing evaluations of his individuals / team and comparing / contrasting this awareness to his YTP. How you performed in a practice and / or a game might cause you to (1) stick to the YTP, feeling this is a blip on the radar or you are plateauing and just need to work through it; (2) you might have to move away from your YTP for the short-term (or even the long-term if you under or over-estimated where you would be at a given time.)

I see the YTP as an overall guide. You need to see where your team / individuals fit into it and then the "dance" between practice and game begins... and continues throughout the year. It is something that you gain experience with over time. The ability of a coach to "take the temperature of the team" as Tom Renney used to tell me, is critical. Then you must apply it (the "art of coaching" ) to your YTP.

This is how I operate: I take notes during the game; between periods, I use a notebook or whiteboard and get the input of the coaching staff for the good and the bad; then summarize it at the end of the game. Then I look at my YTP and my practice / game schedule, and refine the areas I think we need to work on that week (practice by practice.)

Again, as Tom replied above, a coaching situation where you play 1 or 2 games per week and have a structured practice time (in our case at the university / college level, it is the same opponent for both games) helps make it 'easier' to adapt.

For the eight years that I coached at the university level, we typically played Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday's were off (travel home / school work.) Monday was a very tough, competitive practice where we choose two teams and kept score for every rep of every practice (Red / White Day.) Losers were held accountable (pick up pucks, undo winner's skates, buy and serve winner's a Gatorade, etc.) The kids loved it. Then Tuesday we worked on individual offensive skills and tactics (and used games focusing on those.) Wednesday's we focused on defensive skills, tactics (and used games focusing on those.) Thursday's we "played" two teams against other, even strength (paying attention to systems) plus PP vs PK. We finished with some battle drills.

Being removed from coaching university for a few years, but gaining additional wisdom through exposure to my mentors, my work with skill academies, mentoring other teams / coaches and my research, I would alter this template to try something in line with the recent research. I would be interested in seeing how it turns out. (Please see the document(s) my friend Igor provided as it is his Ph.D thesis and another scientific article. His overall conclusions are at the end of this post.)

Initially I would spend 5% of my time on pure individual skills / skills in combination (repetition / quality touches) as a warm up; then 45% of my time would be spent on 1 vs. 1's; then 35% spent on 2 vs. 1; 10% spent on 1 vs. 2. The last 5% would be spent on principles, systems / face-offs... stuff from my YTP that needs to be addressed on-ice. (I will have covered all of the systems off-ice in chalk-talk sessions and then walk-through's in the gym / parking lot.

As the year goes on and I see improvements in my team, I would cut down my 1 vs. 1 by 5%; my 2 vs. 1 by 5% and my 1 vs. 2 by 5% to put towards 3 vs. 3 / 4 vs. 4, 5 vs.5, special teams, systems and face-offs.

When I told one of my mentors, John, who is a National level soccer coach, about this research, he laughed and said that this is the approximate proportion breakdown he uses to train his players – to much success and critical acclaim from the players, parents, and other National level soccer coaches! He consistently develops kids (from U7 up) and many of these kids have gone on to play pro in Europe, National Team level, CIS and NCAA. I have worked with John for several years and have become a believer myself. It was an evolution though – just like finally accepting Joan Vicker’s research and increasing the proportion of time to Smart Transitional Games that Tom and John promote.

So coaches, don’t be afraid of taking a risk. Start embracing these ideas a bit at a time, play with them, adjust them, see how they work! (Skill academies are an excellent laboratory to try these, modify them and try again!) I found that the more I followed these guidelines (proportion of time / use of Smart Transitional Games), the more the players enjoyed practice, and they also seemed to make big gains in understanding the game (hockey sense) – one of the elusive qualities that all coaches gravitate toward when it comes time for player selection!

Check out Igor's 'bottom line' in his thesis in an earlier post (above). Like I said, my personal experience since 2004 (anecdotal) is congruent with Igor's findings.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

brainy

I like how Kai outlined his weekly template. I wondered what he thought of it?

His question, “What is your opinion, should the practice after the game reflect the game you had?" I see this as a “what comes first – the chicken or the egg" big picture question - i.e.: what comes first. I certainly think that there is a great inter-relationship between performance in games and what you do in practice (both before and after the games.)

Dean

The main principles in our YTP and week schedule are:

Long term player development. we want to give to our players good set of tools to future (especially off-ice). With U18 players who have sensitive period on strength, endurance and elasticity. So we really want to set up good base for future training. With skills you work with details and perfect the skill base that players have. So it’s heavy physically template. On ice we work with game sense

Diverse off and on ice training. on off-ice we want to keep it diverse (play basketball, soccer, ultimate etc.) and train the skills off- ice (agility, coordination, elasticity). We try to keep the endurance training diverse and fun.

Themed and focused practices on ice and off -ice. In our training 80%-90% is focused on offensive skills and playing. The YTP is chopped in five week periods each week has its own theme or focus.

How did work? Well I believe the Monday's recovery / skill training served three needs: recovery from the weekend games, work on aerobic endurance, and train individual skills. Players liked it too.
It’s a big challenge to fit the things you need to do in one week. That's why good planning and themes and focuses help. So that you your not trying to do everything every time. According to Harri Hakkarainen with youth players you should have two speed trainings and two strength trainings in week template.

I don't know if this post gives any answers or does it make any sense to anyone (I'm trying to wacth the Jets game at the same time)

Kai

Kai,

1) I appreciated your detailed answer. Excellent to find a coach with a purpose behind their plan. Me likey!

2) Your avatar is truly awesome! But you need to find a bigger glass if you want to run with the big dogs...!

3) Your reference to Monty Python was hysterical! I just about purchased their entire DVD collection yesterday - ALL of the episodes ever produced!

All three reasons mean we will have to meet up for a good beer-fueled discussion in person some day! You will have to let me know where to find you in Finland. I have been threatening to return for some time... preferably in the spring or summer as it was too bloody cold in the winter when I was last there (as a player in 1982 ish?) I prefer dark beers greater than 9.8%!

I have Olli Riihimäki visiting from Jyväskylä. He is a principal there. He and his wife are on an exchange until Dec 1. He is a former semi-pro soccer goalie and a floorball player from the late 1980's. He has been out for beer with me a couple of times (and Tom joined us last week.)

Cheers!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

thirsty

Kai- Good reminder on the focused practice. One of our assistants is a soccer coach in a successful program and they use themed practices. (ex. "Today we're going to focus on defensive side positioning") It's really tempting to throw offensive ideas in there too, but the trick is to keep the message really clear and focused on one thing. I think this helps the players greatly.

Dean: What template are you talking about?
Tom: How do I get one of those beer pics by my name? I've tried signing up several times but I never get a confirmation email.

Dman,

Soccer coaches have taught me SO much... I want to hang out with some basketball coaches too since it is so similar to hockey! My friend Dan went to watch University of Florida (Urban Meyer) run their spring camp a few years ago. They got an inner look at what happens (highly organized, positive and no swearing) and it sounded AMAZING! I heard there is a similar 2011 spring camp (Easter weekend?) being hosted in Oregon. Once I get the info, I will post. I don't know much about football, but am willing to learn about the art of coaching from some top NCAA coaches. Just need to find out the exact dates / times / costs and see if I can swing it!

The "template" to which I am referring to Kai's "weekly plan" or template that he detailed above - Monday is x, Tuesday is x, etc.

We need more beer avatars so I hope Tom can help you... tonight, with the first winter storm upon us, I chose a lovely Australian port for consumption as a change up to my 9.9% Blue Monk Barley Wine. For a mere $20 bottle (my next door neighbour owns a specialty wine / beer store and home delivers whatever I need at a discounted rate!), it was quite delightful. Tawny in colour with sweet fruit on the palate, and a pleasing dry finish. Of course, like any experienced hockey coach, I only drink ice-cold port - exactly how I like my beer... Mmmmmmmm....

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

mellow

DMan,

I used have bad habit of trying to fit erything in one practice. Planing has helped me to correct my tendensies. I'm learning to coach players comprehensively one focus at a time. And I had also a great mentor.

Dean,
I live in Vaasa. Meet up with few beers sounds great!

Kai

Kai,

When I was younger, I have also been guilty of trying to jam too much into practice ! A YTP helps me see the big picture and then I adjust daily / weekly. Themes / areas of focus are indeed helpful and I try to keep some time at the start and / or end of practice for individual skill development; sometimes, I will have to cut a drill or two short (or cut them out all together) just so I don't go right up to the last possible second.

I have found it is better to allow players to have at least 5 minutes at the end to work on their own stuff. Then the coaches and I circulate around to provide help / feedback, etc. if needed. It has to be constructive stuff; not just fooling around or playing 'rebound!' This 'Management By Walking Around' (MBWA) is a good way to connect individually and personally with your players and keeps the lines of communication open.

"Athletes don't care how much you know until they know how much you care!" You need to build this relationship with each individual. Then by working WITH them, them to achieve their goals that they have identified - you are showing them how to become a better player. This builds trust and rapport.

Speaking with soccer Coach John today (one of my mentors!), he told me of a story of a group of U14 girls he is coaching this year. One girl has an amazing amount of skill but is a bit cheeky / doesn't work as hard as the others. This is a skill academy setting, so John can't take away playing time, etc. So he told her he expects each girl to juggle at least 250 times stationary, with each foot, by the end of March 2011. If this individual can't do it, John will no longer "pay attention" to her at practice. John will focus his individual attention to those girls who demonstrate a positive attitude and a strong work ethic. He told her this (and to her parents) and they are in full support. John isn't being mean; but he is communication expectations clearly; establishing measurable goals and a timeline for the player. He isn't yelling at her. He is saying, "I will work with you as long as you work with me. If you choose not to work hard on your own, then I will not give any more of my individual time to you. It is up to you to make this work." I thought it was a great way to address the issue.

So Kai, mentors are very important. I speak with John almost daily. I also act as a mentor to several other people - so I can try to give back to the game / to the profession. Mentoring is a two-way street - when I offer my time to other coaches, I learn new things and it is a form of professional development for me, too! Leadership, listening skills, problem-solving, etc. all come into play...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

What else can Renney do?
Oiler coach running out of options
By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, QMI Agency

November 25, 2010

EDMONTON - He’s benched the fourth line, the rookies, some veterans and he’s called the team out publicly, after lighting into them privately.

And we’re not even into December.

Tom Renney is working his way through the Grab Their Attention checklist and still hasn’t managed to grab the Oilers attention, or at least keep it for more than one game a week.

Like vanquished coaches Craig MacTavish and Pat Quinn before him, Renney is running out of ways to inject some passion and focus into a group that’s lost by four or more goals five times (5-0, 7-1, 8-2, 6-2 and 5-0) in the last eight starts and has been out-shot to the tune of 19-4, 16-4, 11-5, 20-4 in the last four opening periods.

You have to go back six games to even find a night when Edmonton even had more than five shots in a first period.

So the coach scans his checklist, choosing to run battle drills Wednesday instead of giving them the day off they expected.

“Nobody’s happy with that type of a performance and how we mismanaged our game,” Renney said of the 5-0 loss Tuesday in Phoenix. “At the end of the day there are some tools that you have to look at as a coach that can help you put the proper premium on how they have to play.

“I think I’ve shown a few examples of how that can work. And I’ve got more bullets in the chamber.”

He’s not bluffing and he doesn’t play favourites, not that there’s anybody left in the room who thinks otherwise after Renney benched the captain and the first pick overall in a span of two weeks.

“Tom can be hard on us, he has been in the past,” said Shawn Horcoff, adding what we see publicly is pretty tame compared with the stuff behind closed doors. “He holds guys accountable. It’s definitely a point he’s got across to everyone and he’ll continue to do that until we get it right.”

Renney carved them after the Phoenix loss, the first time he’s come out and questioned their commitment and pride. The only surprise is that it took this long.

“Tom’s been very patient with us, very positive,” said Colin Fraser. “And that’s what we want to have, a positive attitude in here. But when you give up six, seven, five goals as often as we have been lately it’s tough to stay positive. Guy’s don’t want to accept that.”

They seem to be accepting of defeat sometimes, which is most concerning. You honestly have to wonder about a team that plays the way Edmonton did on Tuesday. If they play that way in front of their dads, who exactly are they saving the inspired efforts for?

“With his coaching and the game plan we have there’s no excuses for the efforts we put out some nights,” said Andrew Cogliano. “We have skill in here, we have guys who want to play hard, but some nights the compete level just isn’t there.”

So Renney, like Quinn and MacTavish, will continue to dig. But there are delicate balances between accepting growing pains and accepting losing, between laying down the law and losing the room.

“If I’m in there so often doing those things then it become redundant and they’ll turn me off,” said Renney. “So you have to be creative and inventive as a coach in terms of how you get those messages across and by what mechanism. That’s the art of coaching.

“We’re still nurturing, we’re still supportive, we’re still demanding. And when we need to, we draw a hard line. That’s what this year is going to be all about.

“I thought we played pretty good in Anaheim and I thought we played pretty good at home against Phoenix, as much as we let them come back and tie us.

“I thought we might have been able to kind of round the corner there but this appears to be a pretty big corner.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

thoughtful

http://www.istadia.com/article/jspano/198

Creating Good Habits
Category: Sports Performance | Specialism: Sports Psychology

Just about everything we do in sports is a habit

Just about everything we do in sports is a habit. Our preparation is based on habit, our practice is based on habit, our technique is based on habit, and even strategy can be somewhat habitual. The key point is habits encompass every part of athletic performance. Yet one of the major areas of poor performance is bad habits. To correct bad habits and maximize the power of good habits there are some questions that must be answered first. How do we create habits? What makes a good habit different than a bad habit? And what characteristics are needed to create good habits?

Habits are created by repeating an action every time a particular situation occurs. This ranges from how you brush your teeth to your warm-up routine to your sport specific technique. Practice, practice, and more practice create habits. Whether the habits are good or bad is dependent on other areas.

Good habits are basic things in everyday life that can make things easier, more efficient, and better for everyone involved not just the lone athlete. They do not necessarily need to be used every second of my day but if they can employ them as often as possible there can significant improvements. (The opposite is true of bad habits, the more they are used the more likely one will experience poor performance).

When it comes to creating/changing habits the individual should be proactive, manage the use of time, be confidence, and focus attention towards the changing habit. Being proactive is simply taking the initiative and not waiting for others to act first. It is acting not reacting, which many people do. It is also about being responsible for those actions that you chose to make. For example, why are you warming-up that way? How do you know it gets you ready? Is there something else you could be doing?

Habits, even if they are automatic take time and in sports sometimes there is not enough time to do every little think that feels "comfortable". So without stepping completely out of your comfort zone, put the most important things first. To accomplish this try to organize your habits and routines with goals in mind. What are the most important actions? How can you be flexible in different situations?

Being confident and paying attention are critical to breaking bad habits or creating good habits. You need to believe you can change and also pay attention to what is being changed. There should be careful attention to detail. Every second and every inch can make a difference in sports so use care when creating habits. Be involved in your performance, pay attention to what is going on around you as well as your own actions. Changing habits is not impossible but it does take hard work, persistence, time, confidence, and an attention to detail.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

http://www.istadia.com/article/jspano

Posted Fri Apr 3 2009 11:51 AM posted by jspano

Rethinking Anger: Anger Doesn’t Equal Intensity

Getting pumped up, excited, intense, or focused are all great qualities for an athlete. Being angry isn’t one. Often athletes (and coaches) equate anger and aggressiveness with intensity. Intensity is a positive attribute, anger is a negative attribute. Intensity is based on being focused and in control; anger comes from frustration and losing control. Anger almost always has negative effect on performance. Anger causes a shift in attention, the focus becomes on what you’re angry about and not what is happening in the moment. This break in concentration causes your performance to suffer. This experience is similar to the effects of stress.

For example, if a basketball player thinks he/she got fouled but doesn’t get a call from the referee the focus may be on the non-call. Their focus becomes the non-call and not the current situation causing performance levels to drop. The use of concentration techniques would be helpful in breaking the cycle of anger and poor performance.

The most effective ways to do this are:

• Cue Words or Phrases (Self-talk)
Cue words/phrases can be used to trigger a particular competitive response. They help athletes narrow their focus when necessary. Cue words/phrases can be either instructional (i.e.; follow-through, relax, watch the ball) or motivational (explode, do it now, strong) to help focus on the task at hand.

• Take a personal time out
As soon as you can take a few seconds and remove yourself from the situation. Take a second to take a deep breath and think objectively about the situation that just occurred. Once that is over take another deep breath and think about what you need to do next.

• Use Performance Routines
Use pre-competition or pre-situation routines help you get focused and prepared for what is about to happen. Using routines when concentration breaks will help athletes refocus and performance will improve.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

More articles like the two above (this is the index): www DOT istadia.com/browse-sports-articles.php

Specific to sports coaching articles: www DOT istadia.com/articles/specialism/6/Sports-Coaching

(This system thought I was posting Spam, so I substitute for my DOT in the address...)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

thoughtful

7 Keys to Building Good Work Habits in Young Baseball Players

By Nick Dixon

http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Keys-to-Building-Good-Work-Habits-in-Young-Baseball-Players&id=1980393

Today the four letter word for baseball coaches is W-O-R-K: Working and learning to work are one of the vital elements required in the building of a successful baseball team and program. In baseball coaching work and baseball playing involves a lot of things. Work is practice. Work is hustle. Work is execution. Work is commitment. Work is being focused. Work and knowing the value of work may be the most important thing that you will teach your players. A player can have all the talent in the world, but if that player is not willing to work hard to develop that talent, the player is destined to be an underachiever.

Work is what allows a player, a team, and a coach to reach their maximum potential in the game. Every player has the potential to be great at something in the game! Hard work is the key element that will determine a the level of success a player will have later in life. Learning to work hard is a life skill that every youth player can benefit from. We all know of players that we played with or that we coached that had great God-given abilities but terrible work habits. They refused to push themselves to greatness. They would always spend more time looking for a way to get out of work, than actually working. They were simply lazy. They did not have the drive. It made no difference what the coach did, what the parent did, or what their peers said, they simply did not have the focus and commitment to work hard. These underachievers always come to their senses but it is always too late. When they look back to the good old day, they always say that wish they would have worked harder. A common saying of underachieves is that if they only had known then what I know now, they would have pushed themselves harder and made themselves work harder.

Players and coaches must understand the value of hard work. Anything worth having is worth working for. You must work hard. The assistant coaches must work hard. The players must work hard.

What are the keys to teaching players to work? Here are 7 keys to building good work habits in young players:

1. Praise
Praise the player when work is done. Instant positive feedback can serve to motivate players to work harder and harder. You should always correct a player when he does something incorrect. But when you do verbally get on a player, always find a reason to pat that kid on the back later. Keeping a balance between corrective criticism and praise is a valuable skill every coach must learn. Always try to send the players home on a positive note with a positive frame of mind.

2. Fun
The kids must enjoy practicing, playing and spending time together. If going to the baseball field feels like going to the dentist, they are going to lose interest and drive. When they lose interest and drive, they will stop working. Plan your practices with a variety of drills and activities to prevent boredom from setting in. Always include a couple of competitive games or drills to make the practice as fun as possible. I am not saying make your practice all fun game and play-time. I am just suggesting that you plan and organize your practices to include as many fun and motivating activities as is practical.

3. Discipline
Team discipline and player self discipline are two crucial elements for having a successful season. Players should be expected to have a high level of self control and follow all team rules. One important team rule is always showing respect to coaches and adults on and off the field. You can be firm and still keep a fun and comfortable atmosphere.

4. Role Model
The players must see their coach work. Kids can sense when a coach practices what he preaches. Do not expect a kid to work for you if you do not work for him.

5. Short-term Goals
Setting a goal for a drill or workout activity will often motivate players to put forth more effort. Have the goal be something simple and have the reward instant.

6. Long-term Goals Setting team goals for the season is an important tool to improve player mental focus and to add value to the work done at practice.

7. Individual Goals
If you have a gifted player that is more advanced and skilled that most of the other players on the team, you may want to have each player set 3 individual goals for the season. Have players set a target batting average goal, a goal of stolen bases, a goal of a number of base hits or such. Such individual goals often can motivate players to work harder than ever.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Fearless Basketball Training
By Hugh Houchin, eHow Contributor
updated: March 27, 2010

Read more: Fearless Basketball Training | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6128885_fearless-basketball-training.html#ixzz177My5UZ8

"Fearless basketball" is that sport's highest degree of competitiveness, which means mental toughness and knowing how you're going to perform. Those who have absolute confidence in their offensive and defensive abilities have an edge on their opponents. They weren't born with mental toughness, though; it's developed through training. To understand mental toughness, one must first understand its antithesis.

Stress

1. Fear of failure is the antithesis of mental toughness. Basketball is an exact game, which can be stressful. If a player doubts he can perform, he is subject to fear of failure. If he is afraid of missing a shot, he probably will; if he's afraid he can't guard he opponent, he undoubtedly won't; and if he's afraid of losing, chances are he will. Fear of failure elicits stress, followed by loss of confidence.

Conquering Stress

2. A tough mental attitude is dependent upon conquering stress, and stress is conquered through discipline. To overcome stress, a player should not allow any negative feelings and should remain positive no matter what. There are steps one can take to learn discipline.

Improving Discipline

3. A step-by-step process to train oneself to be disciplined, in game circumstances, is needed to learn the mental toughness of fearless basketball.

The first step is to develop good eating and sleeping habits. If rested and eating right, a player will be mentally and physically ready to learn. Cultivate the habits of being at practice on time, even early, and listening to the coach. Always be excited and ready to go, no matter what he asks. If it's unpleasant, do it anyway, and be enthusiastic about it.

Push yourself to your limit, both physically and mentally. When worn out, don't slump but throw you shoulders back and walk in an erect manner, not complaining. No matter the degree of difficulty, never be negative. Leave it all on the court and be passionate about becoming a fearless basketball player.

Right Frame of Mind

4. To be fearless is a mind game, and success doesn't come to those who play it safe. Always play to win and stay aggressive; losing is never a thought. Playing to lose means the thought of losing has entered your mind, which erodes confidence.

With a fearless mindset, one can deal with missing a shot or defensive assignment and not let it affect his confidence.

Summary

5. To maintain a fearless playing attitude requires constant affirmation, and the way to maintain it is through practice. The improved confidence and instincts lead to the ability to determine when your opponent is susceptible to attack and when immediate action is needed.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Nachbaur puts main jolt in surprising Chiefs

John Blanchette The Spokesman-Review

January 30, 2011

Just in case they don’t meet in the playoffs, the Western Hockey League schedule has arranged the next best thing: Eight of the Spokane Chiefs’ last 23 games are against the Tri-City Americans.

And if they do meet in the playoffs, well, so much the better.

The first of those eight came Saturday night at the Spokane Arena, a heart-breaking 5-4 Spokane loss, the 11th game for the Chiefs in 18 days. Seems excessive in the context of teenage hockey, and yet it’s not all that uncommon in the WHL even if it corrupts the notion of teams being prepared and dialed in every night out.

But it reminded Chiefs general manager Tim Speltz of a point to be made about his coach, Don Nachbaur.

When the Chiefs and Ams last met in the playoffs, it was 2008. Spokane would win the Memorial Cup that season; there’s every reason to think Tri-City would have had the Ams been the ones to prevail in Game 7 of their series. At the time, of course, Nachbaur coached the other guys.

“I remember beating them here, 2-0,” Speltz said, “to go up 2-1 in the series. I thought, ‘OK, we’ve got them right where we want them.’ I mean, he had (defensemen) leaving that night – I wasn’t sure they’d come back to the rink they were hit so hard and we were on them so bad.

“Right. They beat us the next night and we had to go back to their building 2-2. He’s simply as focused on having his team prepared as any coach we’ve had.”

And maybe at catching everyone unprepared.

To find Spokane hungrily poking around near the top of the U.S. Division standings this season is a little like discovering a Ferrari under your Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

In its first two decades of existence, never had this franchise put together back-to-back 90-point seasons. Coming off three in a row, then, and given the loss of 82 goals from a pair of all-star forwards, quantum slippage seemed inevitable – to the point that even early in the fall, the most anticipated date was the January trade deadline and what it might bring for the future.

That was before the Chiefs won 18 of 24 games during the second third of the season.

“And so we didn’t feel it would be fair to this year’s group,” said Speltz, “with the success they’d had, to say, ‘We have to look to the future.’ ”

Nor to the new coach who has more or less willed this bit of astonishment.

This is not to discount the remarkable jumps made by any number of youngsters of previously negligible accomplishment, or the MVP year Tyler Johnson has in the making or the leadership and consistency of nearly all the Chiefs veterans.

But this has the feeling of alchemy and, as such, needs an alchemist.

That the Chiefs had the opportunity to hire Nachbaur after his one-year toe-dip coaching in the American Hockey League was a gift; that they finally recognized the changing face of the WHL and took the leap away from “developing” a relative newbie was a whiff of hard reality.

“There are ex-NHL guys all over the Western Conference,” Speltz said. “Our guy has 450 wins in this league. That level of accomplishment is becoming the norm.”

If that means instant credibility, fine – but he’s not looking to sell his players on his credibility. His approach couldn’t be more basic.

“Earn it,” he said. “That’s always been my motto. I was given nothing in hockey. I had to earn my way through the ranks. And I think it’s a missing link in society today. I think our guys understand, now, that they earn the right to stay on the ice every night. They can earn their way off it, too.”

The message has not only been heard, but embraced. The Chiefs were the first WHL team to 200 goals, with 10 skaters in double figures. But they’re also among the league leaders in fewest goals allowed – though now their starting goaltender is out indefinitely.

“Don doesn’t accept ‘sometimes’ or ‘maybe,’ ” Speltz said. “By the same token, we’ve never had a coach who agonizes over the players who have to sit out. Somebody has to every night, but it drives him crazy.”

The question with all overachievers – and for the sake of argument, let’s call the Chiefs that – is whether they can sustain the pace.

“You weigh what’s important – being fresh and ready for that first round of the playoffs or whipping the pony to the end to hang a banner and get that home-ice advantage,” Nachbaur said. “I’ve been on both sides, and I think our kids like being in striking position.

“We’re in the hunt. That’s where you want to be.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Neat article about Red Berenson and his values at Michigan... I really like how players don't get their rings until they graduate.

The talent factory

by Nathan Sandals

March 9, 2011

Mike Knuble, shown here as a Stanley Cup-winning Red Wing in 1998, is one of 23 former U-M players in the NHL, the most by far of any university. (Photo: Mark Hicks.)

There are no National Hockey League teams that wear winged helmets. But it seems that everywhere you look in professional hockey's top league these days, there is a touch of maize and blue complementing each team's colors.

In the 2009-2010 season, 23 former Michigan hockey players laced up for an NHL team at least once, making Michigan the most represented college in the league.

"It's almost like a guy on every team has spent time in Ann Arbor," said Mike Knuble, who played at Michigan from 1991 to 1995 and is currently playing his 15th NHL season as an alternate captain on the Washington Capitals.

When it comes to former players in the NHL, no other college team comes close really. The Wisconsin Badgers ranked second with 17 former players in the NHL last year.

Consider Michigan's ubiquity in a different context: if the NHL reorganized and started with a draft of every current player, a franchise could fill its entire roster with former Wolverines and not need any other players.

Of course, the Michigan hockey program has been among college hockey's elite for over two decades. But the question remains: why is Michigan producing so many more NHL players than even the other top college programs?

The answer probably lies at the top, with head coach Red Berenson. A veteran coach who has been there and done that, Berenson knows what it takes to jump from the college game to the NHL and in fact blazed the trail as the first player to make that step in 1962, playing in his first NHL game the day after his final college game.

"I think you come in and you see Red's 17 years in the NHL and that speaks to a lot of kids," Knuble said. "He knows what it takes to get there. He's pretty honest with you at times, he's probably pretty blunt at times about your situation, about what you're actually getting accomplished and what you're doing, whether it's on the ice or off the ice."

Knuble is among the elder statesmen of former Michigan players in the NHL. One of the newest is Boston Bruins defenseman Steve Kampfer, who completed his Michigan career last year and has risen quickly to contribute significant minutes on the blue line each night.

Although Knuble and Kampfer were separated at Michigan by more than a decade, they share similar views on the value of Berenson's teachings in shaping them to be NHL players.

"There's a lot of little things that they always taught me," Kampfer said. "Red saying that you've got to play big in big games. Or I can always hear (assistant coach) Billy Powers telling me, 'Stop taking loops, tighten up your gap, you're drifting.' It's those little things, where you hear them over and over and over again while you're at Michigan and it's something that sticks in your head."

Most of all, both players said, it was the high standard of excellence Berenson imparted that they carried with them into the NHL.

Berenson agrees that the work ethic and balanced approach he instills are important values that contribute to success in the NHL.

"I think that's a big part of it, is the citizenship and the work ethic and the dedication and the sacrifice," Berenson said. "You can't come and just be a big party person and expect to stay on the ice and night after night be an effective player. They've got to learn to make good decisions. They've got to learn to make a serious commitment to their career and that starts here at Michigan."

More important to Berenson than success on the ice is a commitment to education and earning a Michigan degree. The coach holds two Michigan degrees, including a Masters in Business Administration earned during his NHL career.

The emphasis on education comes with a bit of enticement. Berenson refuses to give a departing player his Michigan ring until he has completed his degree. Knuble says that incentive played a role in his determination to return to Ann Arbor and earn his degree.

"That was a big thing, to get your ring," Knuble said. "He would hold that ring hostage in his desk until you could come and get it, until you earned it."

Berenson says it is harder to convince players to complete their four years of college today than it was in the past.

In recent years, some Michigan players have left for the NHL before they graduated. Some were pressured by NHL teams to join the pro ranks, even though it would mean playing in the minor leagues rather than the NHL.

"I think there is so much emphasis on this pro hockey career and maybe the money and so on that they forget about the value of the education and then they realize when hockey is over that, 'Jeez, I wish I would have finished school,'" Berenson said.

Berenson cites Jack Johnson, a stalwart defenseman who left Michigan after his sophomore year to join the NHL's Los Angeles Kings in 2007, as an example of a player who was ready to leave for the NHL, but has remained committed to obtaining his degree. Johnson has returned to Ann Arbor each summer since, taking classes to achieve that goal.

Seeing Berenson's success in developing NHL players and watching former Michigan stars such as Johnson, Kampfer and Knuble in the NHL impact current and future Wolverines.

"Knowing that all of those guys are there [in the NHL], it's obviously been working, so we just try to follow coach's lead," senior captain Carl Hagelin said.

Each August, Hagelin and his teammates have the chance to connect with the Wolverines that preceded them, when Berenson hosts an alumni weekend including games, golf and other activities. For many former players it is a highlight of the year.

Berenson understands.

"I came back (to Ann Arbor) every summer," Berenson said. "Even when no one else was coming back, I came back to visit my coach and friends on campus and spent some time here. It was the best four years of my life and it's nice to see that that hasn't changed much."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

VIGNEAULT STOPS CANUCKS' PRACTICE AFTER LACKLUSTRE EFFORT

TSN Staff April 4, 2011

A season that has already netted the Canucks the top seed in the NHL and the Presidents' Trophy wasn't enough for Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault to accept the effort he was getting from his players at practice Monday.

Following a rare home defeat to the NHL's worst team Saturday night and unimpressed with the lacklustre start of practice, the coach pulled the players aside for a brief message before starting up practice again.

"It wasn't a huge message. It was just basically a 'what are you guys doing out here? Let's wake up and play the way we want to play.' We've been professionals all season long and these last three games are still part of the regular season. So it's up to us to stay focused," said defenceman Kevin Bieksa.

"The start of practice wasn't good enough and we realized that too. After that it was fine. I think after last game we needed to sharpen up," said captain Henrik Sedin.

With nothing left to play for - save for individual accolades - the Canucks find themselves in a position of waiting for the playoffs to begin, but needing to keep that level of play that vaulted them to a franchise-best season.

"To stay sharp you've got to execute and you've got to work hard every day. If we do that we'll be fine," said goaltender Roberto Luongo. "If we lay off the gas and go through the motions the next week, then we might have a little bit of trouble getting going next week."

Vigneault didn't seem overly concerned with stopping practice.

"If a coach only has to stop practice one time during the year because he's not happy with execution or total involvement, it's been a pretty good year," he said.

The Canucks finish their regular season with games in Edmonton on Tuesday, their home finale Thursday against the Wild, and they end their regular season in Calgary Saturday night. The players are eager to finish the campaign off strong, regardless of result.

"If a team comes in and just plays better than us we'll accept that," Bieksa said. "But when we're not putting our best game out and putting an effort out like that last game, that's unacceptable. We're looking to build good habits in the last three."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

60 posts :: Page 2 of 2