4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6173 times)  

I am coaching a mite travel team and I'm thinking of introducing a forecheck for the second half of the season. Our existing rule is for the person closest the puck to angle the puck carrier outside and keep the legs moving while trying to execute a rubout our stick check. Any thoughts out there on how to work in a progression to introduce additional forecheckers at this age level?

Junior

I am assuming mite is a youth team about U9 or so. All over the world coutries have different names for age groups.

Children learn numbers in school and it is easier for them to think of numbers than positions and in reality the game is played 1-2-3-4-5 and the system you play should be based on reading the first checker. If he gets within a range where he can check the puck carrier then the forecheck should be aggressive. If the puck carrier has full control and skates pointing up ice then the forecheck must be contain and you steer the play wide until someone is close enough to check the puck carrier.

So I always teach young players this way.
1. Steer, angle and finish with body on body and stick on the puck.
2. Be in position to cover the other D on a D to D pass or double team if 1 creates a loose puck.
3. Cover the wing on the strong side boards from above.
4. Be in the middle and ready to pinch on a wide rim.
5. Support from the strong side blueline, don't pinch unless 100% sure and lock on their C if he gets the pass up the middle.

So this is basically a 2-1-2 with a pinch on a wide rim. #3 would cover the point of a wide rim while #4 pinches and #5 slide across to fill for #4. #1 would come back hard thru the middle and #2 pressure the puck or cover their supporting C.

Practice off ice and point to places where the puck goes and everyone move. Draw or use tape to make a offensive zone on the floor and have players move pucks with #'s 1 to 5 as the puck moves. On the ice point to places and everyone moves.

After play a half ice game where the defenders must all touch the red line before going onto offense and then dump it in a forecheck to practice or if you have 3 sets of 5 do a attack-defend-rest rotation. 4 sets play full. With teams of 12 F and 8 D I use a full ice transition game of 3 on 2 with dump ins to stress the forecheck but a youth team seldom has that many players except in many Eruopean countries where they dress 20 skaters and 2 goalies for games.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks Tom. Yes, this is a team of 7 and 8 year-olds. At that age do you still recommend a 2-1-2 over something more conservative where 1 takes the puck, 2 goes to the strong side boards, and 3 sets up in the middle?

Junior

rcmat, What I wrote is almost a man on man defense. Usually little guys and girls all chase the puck or stand around watching. My grandson is 8 and it is almost a game of taking turns 1 on 5. If you start teaching covering away from the puck at this age they will slowly catch on. No gaurantee there will be a wide winger to cover but the concept that they each cover one player is what you are trying to teach.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1