5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6527 times)  

Hello all. I am new here, not sure if this has been discussed many times before.

In the defensive zone, D1 loses a corner battle, opponent chooses to take the puck behind our net and past the far post. Should D2 release from his man in front to get to puck carrier, and allow D1 to now cover the front?

How do you play this situation?

TBirdsHockey,

Welcome to the site and thanks for your first post. Lots of great info here and people to ask questions of... hope to see you post and contribute more in the future!

However, there isn't enough info in your scenario. I don't know where everyone else is (teammates or opponents) based on your description and it is tough to state "absolutes" as the game of hockey is very dynamic - plus different people apply different DZ philosophies to different situations. (Using the principles of Hockey Coaching ABC's, if you number the players 1 to 5 in location to the puck (man in front, box behind), the communication between players becomes easier (IE: switching responsibilities if someone gets beat / falls down / puck changes point of attack) than in those philosophies where the coach teaches DZ coverage by position / pattern.) See page 121 of Tom's book.

Questions I would ask are of this situation include: Are you even strength? Where is your support man (#3) once #1 loses coverage? How quickly is #1 recovering (is he pressuring the man skating behind the net or recovering to the front of the net or is he completely out of the play?) Where is the slot zone support (#4)? The opponent who has taken the puck behind the net... is he a goalscorer, a play-maker or a plug? Which way does he shoot and which direction is he moving from the corner relative to what way he shoots (onto his forehand or backhand?) Is he threatening to drive the net, or just carry it to the opposite corner while looking to make a pass?

Here is a general principle: prioritize coverage based on level of threat. When defending, the goal is to keep the puck out of your slot area. It is highly unlikely someone will score from behind the net. Yes, I know a few kids can pick up the puck on their stick (like lacrosse) and others can bank it in from behind the net... but the percentages are not in favour of those moves! The opponent in front of your net is in a far more threatening position to score if he receives a pass. The puck carrier is not the most dangerous player here... but the potential pass receivers are!

So is this truly a 2 vs 1 situation?

The goalie should also be involved in preventing a wrap-around / walk-out or pass out to the slot with his stick, which essentially makes it into two 1 vs 1's... your goalie vs the opponent behind the net with puck and a 1 vs 1 in the slot (defender vs opponent).

#2 stays in front and plays the situation from there. #2 is mindful of the pass out and walk-out, not to mention a potential rebound, so he has to have body position and his stick should be discouraging against a pass. The defender should also pay attention to the stick of the opponent in the slot - don't allow a shot if the pass (or a rebound) comes.

If the opponent continues to carry the puck laterally below the goal line towards the far corner, #2 needs to read his available support (#1, #2, #3,) and the potential threats; make a decision and communicate his intentions. If he has support and the threats are covered, he could release to pursue (even strength... yes?) All the time he maintains body position while he tries to keep the opponent to the outside, eventually get 'blade on puck' or or force a bad pass or to finish the check.

Hope this helps...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

In this situation I want d2 to front his
Man and play a 2-1 until d1 hustles back and ties
up the attacker in fronts stick. Then d2 close the gap
on the puck carrier .
This is the first reply I have made with my new iphone4.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Coachy, you are getting all technological on me! Stop it, you are making this non-cell phone owning, pay phone diehard look bad! Wink

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the feedback, and congrats on the iPhone 4 Tom!

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1