2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7217 times)  

Teams are now getting organized. All over there are different ways of selecting teams from the coaches chosing to independent evaluators. No matter how you team is chosen you end up with a list of players who have parents. Most players need the parents to pay the fees and drive them to practices and games. So the coach must organize not only a group of players but also a group of parents to organize.

In my experience coaching my sons teams for many years as well as some select teams there are 3 critical meetings you must have.

1. Parent meeting to organize a phone committee, timekeepers, fund raising, tournaments etc.
2. Player meeting where they design a team convenant that decides on team goals, expectations, priorities etc.
3. Another parent meeting to share the team covenant and how it will be achieved.

I invite coaches to share their experiences and advise on this subject.

? Should there be a parent covenant after this??????? etc. etc.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
By: Likes:

here is an old Players/Parents code that may still have some use. i am not hi-tech and only know how to cut and paste, so it may be easier to cut it from here and paste it into a blank word document.

FSZ PENNSAUKEN - YOUTH HOCKEY CODE BOOK

Introduction
General Manager & Coaches
Coaching Overview – Goals and Objectives

Expectations (From Players)
Commitment
Respect for Officials, Parents & All Players
Off Ice Drills – Self Improvement at Home

Expectations (Parents)
Locker Room - Three Minutes for Players Only after games
Encouragement – not coaching
Volunteers – (2) Scorekeepers & Line Up Cards

Teamwork – Parents & Players
Basic Defensive Formation and Responsibilities
Forecheck / Triangular Attack

Team Apparel
Uniform & Equipment (the team jersey and team socks are for games only)
If your child has a preference for a certain number please see Debbie Grier - General Manager
Water Bottles (with name &/or uniform number)

Material Distribution / Questions
Open Forum
Phone Number / email exchange with GM

Fair play code
… FOR Pennsauken Players

I play Hockey because I want to, not because my friends or parents want me to.
I will play according to the rules – even if no one is watching
I will control my temper – unnecessary penalties hurt the team and mouthing off can spoil the game for everyone
I will respect the Adults, the Referees and my teammates
I will do my best to be a ‘team player’
I am here to improve my skills, make some friends, have fun and will always try my best to do just that
I will remember that the coaches and referees are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect
I will acknowledge the good plays made by my teammates

Players Name (Print)

Players Signature

Date

Fair TREATMENT code
… FOR Parents

I will not force my child to play hockey, they will come to the rink out of their own desire
I believe that my child plays hockey for his own enjoyment, not mine
I will give an honest effort to learn the team ‘system’ and help my child understand it too
I know that kids trying their best is more important than the team either winning or losing
I will never ridicule or yell at any of the players, my own included
I will never vocally question the referees decisions
I support all efforts designed to remove physical and verbal abuse from children’s sports
I may not always agree with them, but I will always respect the coaches who volunteer their time to help my child
I will do my best to provide a positive experience for my child and for all of their Nighthawk teammates

Parents Name (Print)

Parent’s Signature

Date

Fair policy code
… FOR Firebird COACHES

I will teach everyone to play fairly and to respect teammates, opponents and referees
I will teach everyone to play by the rules of the game
I will ensure that all players get adequate instruction and equal playing time
I will not yell at anyone who plays poorly or who makes a mistake
I will remember that the kids are here to learn and to have fun
I will provide each player with encouragement in the hope of developing self confidence
I will be generous with praise and set a good example; youth players need a coach that they can respect
I will continue to upgrade my coaching skills and training techniques
I will work in cooperation with all players and their families for the betterment of the team

Coach’s Name (Print)

Coach’s Signature

Date

Pennsauken Youth
contact list ~
Player / Parent information

NAME

DATE OF BIRTH

STREET

CITY, STATE ZIP

ADULT #1

ADULT #2

PHONE #

CELL #

EMAIL

GENERAL MANAGERS
Partial List of Responsibilities

Organize the team Contact List, Broadcast Emails are issued weekly
* The schedules can sometimes change; perhaps a practice may be added, etc.

Organize post game Snack & Juice List
* The kids really look forward to this, it is very important to them !!!

Maintain and distribute game and practice schedules
* A master list will be created prior to the start of the season

Directions to other arenas for Away Games
* Car pooling is sometimes useful

Collect Game Reports, provide to office at FSZ – Pennsauken
* the Scorekeeper gives one copy to the GM and the other to the Front Desk

Oversee team finances (post season party? extra ice time ?)

Oversee Fund Raising (bake sale? car wash?)

Appropriation of First Aid Kit

Tee Shirts ? Hats ? Fat Heads ?

Helpful Hints

Equipment:

All equipment must fit TODAY, ‘growing into’ hockey gear does not work at this age group
Hockey equipment needs to ‘touch’, i.e. the gloves should touch the elbow pads which in turn should touch the shoulder guards. The chest protector should touch the top of the pants, the bottom of the pants should touch the shin guards, and the shin guards should rest on the top of the skates.
Generally speaking, hockey skates should be ONE SIZE SMALLER than your child’s regular shoe size
The stick should reach somewhere between the chin and the lower lip
The palms of the gloves need to be soft. Some good players have had bad games because of stiff gloves.
The helmet needs to remain strapped on. It loses a lot of its effectiveness when it is not.
If your child needs help getting dressed for practices and games, by all means, help them.

Basic Skills

When skating, push off on the inside of the blades. The feet are in the position of a ‘duck’ walk as opposed to a normal walk.
In order to do this, the skater needs to turn his feet out slightly and roll their ankles.

When you child rolls their ankles forward, the rest of the body will “shrink”. That body position is the key to playing balanced hockey.
If your child has the occasion to attend some of the Public Skating sessions at FSZ, practice this ‘power skating’ technique. At this age, development of the proper stride is very important.

Stick handling and shooting skills can be developed at home. (See one of the coaches for the appropriate drills)

The blade of the stick should roll over the puck. Lifting and dropping the stick in an ineffective way to stickhandle.

In a game, make your stickhandling move no closer than 6 feet from the opposing player.

When shooting or passing the blade turns down onto the puck. The tip of the blade points toward the targeted area.
Keep the stick low (around mid body) on the follow-through. Lifting the stick will cause you to lose both power and accuracy.

Team Axioms

Head Up – Stick Down
When they have the puck – One Hand On The Stick
When WE have the puck – Two Hands On The Stick

The Trick to Skating Balanced

The wrist of the top hand rolls to keep the whole body in balance
Skates at shoulder width, stomach in, chest over waist line

The Trick to Team Offense

Be a threat without the puck – get open
Your next move should be obvious to team mates
Once inside the zone, the first three skaters should always create a triangle

The Trick to Team Defense

In the Fore-check Zone - Guide your opponent to his backhand side
In the Neutral Zone - Steer your opponent toward the boards
In the Defensive Zone - Get in the way of your opponent’s stick before they reach the circles and then move him wide

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1