25 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 560314 times)  

Pops, Paul, Paulie, I have started a new topic on the forecheck. If you check out the team play video section http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=29&page=1 the first 3 video's with 5 on 2 practice the rush and then the forecheck.

If I have at least 3 sets of D and 3 lines I change the forward lines out of one end and the D out of the other. If my team is short of players then I may have 3 sets of 2 offensive forwards change in one end and the 3 backs in the other end.

I use LW as the defensive forward (and they do in the video) C and RW as the offensive forwards (attacking with 2 deep on a pressure forecheck 2-1-2 and with a 1-1 tandem on a contain 1-3-1 forecheck as when they are set up behind the net). The RD is the offensive defenseman and the LD is the defensive defenseman.

We had the F1 or C play the low 3-3 in the defensive zone and used the C on faceoffs.

My college women's team used the forecheck with more of a contain philosophy by the RD and LW. I would now have them more involved in the offense. Here is a video vs the U of Calgary showing the forecheck.
http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080727110408764

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I am going to utilize this forecheck starting this weekend. It could lead to some trouble for our players and I know we are going to make mistakes. I want to see our players become more creative on the attack. I see to many of our players not jump into holes. I realize we are going to get caught but at 13 and 14 years old I think Ithey should be able to try some different things.

Any suggetions on some key points I should get them to focus on for the first two weeks. Two or three areas that will provide them with some early success.

Paul it is critical that they play with good habits.
-always face the puck.
-closest player pressure the puck with a good forechecking angle and the stick on the puck and body on body.
-read when they are on defense and backcheck hard through the middle lane.
-get on the defensive side.

Attack with 4 players on the rush and get a shot and crash the net for rebounds.
-cycle with 3 players on each side.
-create 2 on 1's all over the ice.

Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Use all the players and have short shifts with high intensity.

If your team dictates the pace of the game they will do fine.

Paul - i wish you all the best with the guys and totally look forward to hearing about the reactions of your players. At 13 and 14 years old, they love pressuring the puck anyway - so you may just be able to channel that energy and make it more efficient. Right now I coach a college team that, frankly, has an established system that has been quite successful. As such, there is no great need to change the way that they do things. That's fine, no problem because I am having the time of my life with this particular group. However, the elements of Torpedo Hockey are clearly the future of the game and I want to stay abreast of how teams fare using these methodologies. Please keep us posted.
Pops

First game tonight with the Torpedo system. Looking forward to mistakes and bench management problems. I can handle the mistakes. Want the kids to play with creativity. I will keep everyone posted about our success and failures.

Paul - please let me know how the players react, for example will one of the 3 midfielders tend to favor the weak side, does the lone D man get uncomfortable when their forecheck is coming at him and the D to D options are not so readily available, etc. I hope you guys win with room to spare - it will be a big step towards getting the guys to buy in. Best of luck. - Pops

Ouch. Played a very skilled and fast team. Lost 10 - 3. Made some mistakes due to bad decisions, which I can understand. Really struggled with getting the puck out of our zone. Part of it is due to system and part of it is lack of passing skills. Canadian hockey lacks passing skills. Kids can't pass. Need to work on this.

Only the first exhibition game and kids are doubting the system. I told them hockey is hockey. You still have to make a play with the puck. I need to stick with this and make them better players. I know it and I can't waiver. I saw some good rushes and then other promising rushes that ended with bad passes. Many of these turned into rushes to our end.

I need some drills to get the halfbacks and libero breaking the puck out under pressure, where they make a decision.

stressed

first of all, Paul, sorry about the final score. as I see the evolution of 'torpedo' hockey, it appears to be a process that will come about in stages. the 1-3-1 forecheck is going to bring pressure against pretty much anyone. the flip side is that when play swings the other way, you probably won't do better than 2 Lane Neutral Zone coverage, and almost defintiely you are going to need D Zone coverage (as opposed to Man to Man coverage) That's my guess as to the what is a likely scenario. - Pops

In our zone I play with a man on and a box behind. The torpedo's have to give an oulet pass if the D is under pressure. In youth hockey the forechecking is usually hard and controlled breakouts are not common. Go to the files section here and look at the breakout practice drills by Bob Murdoch. I use them all of the time.

That being said the most important thing in a breakout is that the defender who regains the puck must skate hard to open ice. If he just stands there then the forechecking team knows his only option is to pass and holds the line. If the D gets the puck and skates up ice then the other D must back up. If he skates hard to the back of the net it sets up the wheel, reverse or counter.

The game is played with the feet moving.

A rule Jursinov uses is for his D to try to beat the first forechecker. This causes him to skate hard with the puck instead of stand still.

Thanks

I like that concept of beating the first forechecker and moving your feet. Too many players get that puck and stand trying to make a pass. I will drill into the players that idea. We will work on our d zone. We have a lot of players that don't understand the work ethic required in the dzone. Also there is little communication. Kids are scared to talk and help each other.

We have dryland on Thursday and will work on this in the gym. Walking through the concepts.

Here's diagram of warm up/ system play drill that we (actually i think many finnish teams use) use at our practices. I think I posted thes to the old forum some time a go.

D-D reverse
we allways try to get our first break out pass to middle line.
after first attack cycle to D to shoot from the point

Kai

Quote by: Kai K

Here's diagram of warm up/ system play drill that we (actually i think many finnish teams use) use at our practices. I think I posted thes to the old forum some time a go.

D-D reverse

We have few variations of this drill starting from DZ or NZ.
this is basic D-D pass. and once more after first shot cycle and the D shoots

Kai

D-D reverse

We have few variations of this drill starting from DZ or NZ.
this is basic D-D pass. and once more after first shot cycle and the D shoots

here's the NZ variation. this end with a cycle too.

Kai

Quote by: TomM

A rule Jursinov uses is for his D to try to beat the first forechecker. This causes him to skate hard with the puck instead of stand still.

Thats interesting. High risk high reward.

By the way what are the odds of having 2 coaches from the same league on this board?

Two quick comments, if I may.

1. I tell the D Man to skate the puck wide ( to open ice ) and make them change their forechecking angles. It makes for a tougher read. Trying to beat the first forechecker is to dangerous for an old-school guy like me.

2. As for 2 coaches from the same league being participants on Tom's board, both 'Left Wing' and I coach in the Metro Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association. He's better looking but I'm funnier....right, Lefty ?

D trying to beat the first checker may sound dangerous but it isn't because it causes the D to move to open ice with the puck OR to make a quick pass like a reverse. If the D can't sees he can't beat the first man he now is making his decision while skating hard instead of while he is standing still.

So his rule doesn't mean he has to beat the first checker but instead that he has to TRY and beat the first checker. (instead of simply telling his D to move their feet he insists on this principle)

Quote by: Pops

2. As for 2 coaches from the same league being participants on Tom's board, both 'Left Wing' and I coach in the Metro Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association. He's better looking but I'm funnier....right, Lefty ?

Hey now lets not get crazy! You're a handsome fella! Ha
The best part of that league meeting was the lunch when we were all hanging out joking around.

I am Left Wing, once I registered I changed my user name.

For everyone else that is reading this. My team plays Pops team 10/3 at his rink. Should be interesting, will only be our 3rd game of the season.
Lets the games begin!

Ok back on track

Quote by: TomM

D trying to beat the first checker may sound dangerous but it isn't because it causes the D to move to open ice with the puck OR to make a quick pass like a reverse. If the D can't sees he can't beat the first man he now is making his decision while skating hard instead of while he is standing still.

So his rule doesn't mean he has to beat the first checker but instead that he has to TRY and beat the first checker. (instead of simply telling his D to move their feet he insists on this principle)

We want that D tryes to win space to the middel line by skating or by passing. And after every D to D pass or reverse pass D should first keep his feet moving and then make the quick pass.

Another game tonight. The AAA team has been making releases so we are getting new players down to our team. They don't know the system so we are throwing them to the wolves. Trying to keep it simple. Focus tonight is on our defensive zone play and what we need to do to ge the puck moving up the ice from our libero and halfbacks. Our checking intensity needs to be higher.

Thanks for all the ideas. We will be implementing them in our practices.

We lost tonight 6 - 1, and despite the score we made improvements. The goals we gave up were due to bad turnovers in our zone. We made good adjustments to the odd man rushes we gave up. We had chances to score but didn't finish.

Where we are getting caught is when our halfbacks get in on the rush they are not getting back when the rush does not materialize. They are caught standing still in front of the opposition net instead of finding their support positions. Other things to work on.

Your weak side halfback needs to be back when the puck is on the other side. You shouldn't be giving up odd man situations. He should be supporting the rush to the top of the slot and pull back if he doesn't get a pass.

It should be a very strong defensive system with 3 players having the puck in front of them.

that was a reassuring comment, Tom, as I see the weak side read as the key to the success of this system. If offense is to be generated, their going down as far as the bottom of the weak side circle is essential. If there is no realistic possibility, then D needs that guys immediate support.

Pops, they should only join the forecheck when the puck is on their side of the ice and play between the blue line and top of the circle when they are weak side always being ready to back door or pinch on a rim.

The style is stolen from Soccer (Fussball)

We tied 3 -3. We played a strong game and created numerous scoring chances. I found that are halfbacks get very tired as the game progresses and then their defensive play becomes lazy. They start taking shortcuts. They have to skate a lot during the game and make quick decisions. We need to continue to work on decision making and defensive positioning.

sounds like they are improving. Short shifts may be the key.

25 posts :: Page 1 of 1