38 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Likes:
  (Read 45040 times)  

I am doing 2 spring teams of upper level 8-9 year olds as well as tow 11-12 year old groups.
Last night I did the older ones and the emphasis was on good mechanic in holding the stick and being able to handle the puck all around the body.

I try to eliminate the "bottom hand dominant" technique that many players have that limits them to handling the puck only on the forehand side, makes taking and making a pass difficult and is very inefficient for shooting. In other words if you learn to play like this you will "only get good at being bad."

It is like trying to drive a car that has square tires. Nothing will go smoothly.

I also try to teach them to look around when playing and to get open when they don't have the puck.

I do the Russian Big Moves Puck Handling with all the groups. With the older kid's we do toe drags and between the legs etc. We also play games with rules that promote moving the puck to someone in better position.

I will attack pdf.' of the first practice for the age groups. I did 2 older groups yesterday and a young group last night and this morning. I do another older group tonight. I have to modify things a little for each group but the practice plan is my basic outline.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 02 group has a lot of 03-04 as well and the practice was only 60 min. so I had to cut things. So we did.

-one zone game of 2 pass at each end.
-Russian stickhandling. Stressed good mechanics, loose shoulders and handling the puck all around the body. Passing and shooting are an extension of good puck handling.
-3 man weave. (a few struggled with this but I want to introduce the concepts of going to the "Big Ice" with the puck and following the pass and taking the ice behind)
-full ice game with one pass in each zone.
-2 shot shootout.

We will build on these things next practice with more puck handling and some passing technique.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Today we worked on puck protection along the boards. They did cut backs vs 1-0, then 1-1 with passive resistance then 1-1 battles.
We started practice with 10 min. of individual choice practice. After that did a pass and replace drill, then the cut back drill, following the drill we played a game in one zone at each end with the rule they must clear the zone and get onside and then attack by dumping and chasing. This was to cause board battle and work on the cut back skill.

We went to a full ice game with one minute shifts. Rules: only 2" with the puck. First 5 min. pass to the goalie on the whistle and second 5" rim the puck so the goalie has to stop it and set it up for his D.

Finished with a Betting Shootout.

The practice with diagrams is on the attached PDF.

Players said it was one of their favorite practices so far.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom love this thread! I might be doing a clinic for this age group soon.

Can you talk more about "bottom hand dominant" technique? As in getting away from it

One of my biggest struggles is coming up with what to do at sessions. I know so much but actually laying out the plan has been a struggle. Thanks for thr PDFs!!! Could you continue posting them? I like to see what you're doing and when you do them.

Thank you so much!

PS. Do you have a blank version of the 5-7 yr old PDF format?

Aberdeen here are two videos about technique.
http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=2008090122230476

Jeff Hill (former captain of Michigan Tech)
http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=2008072208280775

I will attach a pdf of the practie plan. I use the word version so I can paste diagrams in.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

These are the first two sessions for a 02 born team.

-First practice went very well and the second was ok but I shouldn't have used the parent coaches who came on the ice to demonstrate because they haven't done transition games before. It caused confusion. Also with kid's this young I should have had them do only one task in the C1 drill so they get used to where they leave from and where they go. Then add make a breakout pass after. I thought they would be able to do it because they caught on to everything the first practice.

Session one was about puck handling and session two angling with the stick on the puck and defensive side.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

00 born team has had only one practice so far and they wanted body checking because it is the first year of contact and they play a game Sat.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I am off to run a 90 min. practice with the 02 born team. Skating with the puck, more moves with fakes, good habits like give a target and face the puck and passing technique are on the agenda.

Things went smoothly and I added a B6 pass and replace, a 5 min. game of only 2" with the puck and a full ice game with all playing Rule; there must be at least one pass in each zone.

We really have to work on the players skating while passing instead of skating when they carry and still when passing. We stressed moving to open ice with the puck and playing the game with the feet moving.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I coached both the 00 and the 02 last night. I had to adjust the practice for the 00 team as only one goalie and 11 of the 14 skaters where there. (start of the long weekend) So we did a lot of one end activities.

Both teams did breakouts taking turns at being the 1 D and 1F.

00 team is starting body checking and needs to learn to support the puck and play while skating.

02 team the focus was on support and skating to open ice when you get the puck as well as covering man to man.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Had a 90 minute practice last night. I want to get them to move their feet and support the puck. We did breakout and regroup options, some shooting and team play.

D to D behind the net and reverse and regroups. I want the passing to be gamelike and not just mindless passing drills.

I am flying to Austria this morning and will see Juhani in Turku Finland on Friday. So I won't be doing drills for about a week.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Have a good trip Tom. Looking forward to hooking up with you when you get back to see what you learned!

_______
Dean after one missed flight and a rerout to zurich I am finally at the Vienna airport waiting for my train. Now if the can find my luggage which is mostly books to take to Juuso tomrrow all will be well.
----------------
It is about noon in Turku, Finland now. It is also May 1 which is May Day and a big deal all over Europe. People here wear the school cap they got when they graduated. Last night there were parties all over the city to celebrate.
I went for a two hour walk this morning while Juuso (Juhani Wahlsten) worked on his autobiography. He has been asked to write this as a history of hockey in Finland. There basically was no hockey when he was a young boy. The game was introduced and he and his friends took it up. Juuso played on the Finnish National team for 11 seasons and 3 Olympic Games. He also has coached all over he world. He was named to the IIHF Hall of Fame along with Kent Nilsson on Sweden and Petrov of Russia about 5 years ago. this was because of his playing, coaching and contributions to hockey development throughout the world.

Juuso introduced Ringuette to Finland and they are now the top country in the world at that womenäs sport.

On my walk along the river I went up to a sports park that has a soccer and a track and field stadium as well as beach volleyball, fitness stations, ponds, tennis courts, etc. Great place for active life styles. People walking and riding their bikes. Very active lifestyle. Every road has a bike path and walking path beside it, so being active is much safer than in north america where the auto is king.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Tom,

Thanks for posting the practices. I coached an 01 team (with several 02s) last Fall/Winter and currently this spring.

I use a lot of your ideas and concepts that I have taken from your sites and book over the years.

I'm glad to see you mention the 3 man weave. I integrated this drill part way thru the season with my 01s in the winter and it seemed to dramatically effect their puck movement during games. I never thought that the 3 man weave was so important. Its seems to have taught my players the spacing and timing of puck movement.
-------------------------------------

Tony I think the 3 man weave has a lot of great playing principles built into it.
1. Gain the big ice between the dots when you get the puck.
2. Pass while skating.
3. Pass and follow your pass.
4. Fill the 3 lanes (not everyone in the middle like youth players tend to do.
5. Finish with a triangle.
4. On the regroup at the other end support from 3 lanes, on the strong side wall, in the middle giving the skates and stick for a target, in the weak side lane.
5. Move the puck to someone in better postiion than you.
6. Play 1-2-3 and not w-c-w/

I like to add 1 and then 2 D who they regroup with and then a second regroup. After that you can progress to the most common drill I see at higher levels of break out regroup with D at far end, regroup with original D then attack D at far end. Then new players repeat the other was attacking vs oringinal D.

This is the practice for the 02 born team.

I wanted to promote puck support and angling. I played with them in the 2 puck game and found they skate far away when you get the puck thinking that being "alone" is being "open". They make it so you have to pass over sticks and between legs to get them the puck. So close support, ginving a target in an open space is what I wanted to accomplish. We added a drag, shoot and screen drill also as the goalie coach was on the ice.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I just got an email from a good 92 born player that I coached in Salzburg. He played on both the U17 an U20 team there and has good hands, good skater good character. He is at least 6'2" - 200 lbs. He is Hungarian but speaks perfect english. He has played in many World Championships for Hungary in age group categories.

He went to Finland last season but broke his ankle in pre season and only played a few games at the end of the year. He is looking for a team to play on next year. He would be a good player for a Eruopena club or a United States Hockey League or North American Hockey League club.
-----------------------------------
I will start another drill section next week. I still have to do diagrams for many of the videos I have posted and descriptions for many diagrams I have made. Right now I am putting my video from the trip to Austria - Finland into video files for my records. I wish I could have attended the conferences at the worlds but the meeting with Juuso and Kalle, a Finnish U20 national team coach was very good.

I got a coaching offer from a European club and I countered with conditions that I could come home on a regular basis. I don't know if they will agree. They may though as it is an an asst. with the U20 team and a coach mentor for the other development teams in the club.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Looking through the old bulletin board I came across a letter I wrote to Court Dunn who uses the ABC method in Penn and gets a lot of resistance because he uses so many games in practice. He has a middle school team and his school is very small. They regularly beat JV high school teams.

I wrote this to give him some moral support and I put links to hockeydb that give info about the 85ers I coached in 97 and 98 spring hockey and where they ended up playing. 2 NHLers, one Hobey Baker winner.

There is a lot of resistance to using games in practice and as the saying goes; "The proof is in the RESULTS"

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

This was the kind of practice that teaches the players "How to Play the Game." It was my skills class and we will do a similar session with the 02 born team. The goal was to promote close puck support but also to practice good technique and options with the puck. Each game took about 10 minutes which includes the 2 minutes between to get a quick drink and listen to the rules for the next game. The coaches role in this type of practice is to make sure they are following the rules and keep track of wins and loses.
The playes loved this practice and where dripping from sweat after.

With this school skills group I can get a lot of things done without wasting time. They are used to the various games and the Tony the teacher who is on the ice with me is a good player who I coached at the U of Calgary and he played the games in this practice. I will probably have to play one less game with the skills group because they are younger and the asst. coaches have little experience with games in practice.

We are coaching a Game and not teaching players to do drills. Individual skills can be worked on with drills but Role 2 of puck support and Role 4 covering away from the puck require drills and a lot of game situation. Role 1 of puck carrier and Role 3 of closest checker also need to be puck into game situations where the PLAYER makes the decisions and everything isn't scripted as they are in drills.

So both Drills and Games are need for Effective Practices:
-------------------------------------------
B500
10 min. Individual choice practice.
Players work on the skill of their choice, such as puck handle, shoot, keepaway, small game, pass, etc.
Coach skate around and give individual help and keep activities on task and safe/

B6 Small Horseshoe 1-0, 2-0
7 min. Warm up the goalies and work on timing.

Tournament of 8 minute Games – Greens vs Whites. At the end of each game give 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie.
Game 1: D4 Game of 2 pass.
Game 2: 2 pass – only forehand allowed.
Game 3: 2 pass – must use and escape move when you get the puck.
Game 4: 2 pass and only 2” with the puck.

D100 – Full Ice Game of 2” Only
- One minute shifts and pass back to the goalie on the whistle.
- Beginning goalie at one end so the scoring team get the puck out of the net on a goal and attack the other way. Opponents must touch the red line before defending.

D1 Game of 6 on 6 no Whistles 2” Rule
- Everyone plays.

E1 Shootout – Change on the go and 6 pucks.
Players get a maximum of 3 shots and if they don’t score they put the puck back on the blue line.
After scoring they must change on the go and the new player can’t leave until teammate is withing a stick length of the bench.

E1 Two Shot Shootout
Shoot at each end.
- 2 goals 0 laps.
- 1 goal 1 lap.
- 0 goals 2 laps.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

The best habit a player can have is to skate to open ice when they get the puck. Most players skate if they are going to try to go through everyone and stand still with their legs apart if they are going to pass. This lets everyone know their only option is to pass and causes lots of turn overs.
Encourage the players to play the game with their feet moving. It can be forward, backward, tight turn etc. Just go away from pressure and protect the puck.
We did a full ice game requiring at least one pass in each zone and then 2 pucks at once as a nevous system overload to warm up.
There was a goalie coach there so we worked on moves in the nzone with 5" at full speed intervals. Escape moves and puck protection moves. We then played puck dog stopping at the top of the circle at one end so the goalies could continue practicing.
We used overspeed in the nzone finishing with a shot and used a 1:4 work rest ratio
Two games had the rule that they must take at least 3 strides to open ice when they got the puck. Probably the most important modifide rule a coach can use.
Finished with a change on the go shootout.
-----------------------------------
10 min.
D1 Game with at least one pass in each zone.
Half the players wear pinnies and everyone plays including the coaches who model the rule.

10 min.
-Goalies at one end with goalie coach.
A3 – B500
-Handle 2 pucks at once keeping them under control and progress to one on the stick on one in the skates.
-Puck protection in nzone. Chaos shield the puck, use escape moves, head and shoulder fakes. Fast on whistle.

5 min.
A2 Puck Dog
One game of puck dog. One player is the puck dog and the goal is to be the last player to lose the puck before getting to the end of the rink.

5 min.
B5 overspeed.
- 3 leave at once and full speed making moves for 7” then go in and shoot.
- 2-0 passing for 7” then attack –shoot.
- 3-0 passing and a shot.

20 min. Two ten minute games with a break between. Switch teams after 10”.
D4-A game at each end where you must get onside. Rule “the player must take at least 3 hard strides to open ice before making a pass or taking a shot.” The other team gets the puck if you don’t.
-You must take the puck over the blue line to go on offense and all get onside.

10 min.
E1 Shootout – change on the go.
Players are in the box and one puck on each blue line for every player.
Player from each team leaves the box and tries to score. If they score they race to the box and touch the boards and then the next player can leave.
Max 3 shots and then they must change of the go with another player.
First team to score with all the pucks wins. It works better to put the pucks on the blue line than in the middle as in the diagram.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Thanks for your continued posts. It's very helpful to see your practices from start to finish.
One question for you: When you play the game with one pass in each zone, do players have to regroup all the way into their own D-Zone when they gain possession of the puck in the offensive or neutral zone?

Hope you had a good trip to Europe, and keep us posted on your plans for next year.

Thanks,
Dave M
Dave thanks for the comments. I post the entire practice to show how to chose a theme and then combine drills, games and contests to work on the skill and coach both technique and how to apply it effectively within a game situation. Education went away from the drill and practice model towards whole learning and problem solving way back in the 60's. We still promote drill and practice in sports as the ideal learning method.

It is ineffective and drives players away from team sports at a rate of 80 percent quitting by the time they are 14 in North America.
If we include game situation we not only practice How to Play but we change the 10 mlnutes of moving and 50 minutes of standing in lines or listening to instruction per hour into 50 min of moving and 10 min. of not moving. So at the very least the children have Fun and become Fit and hopefully develop a Love for the Game.

Thanks Tom - Just a quick follow-up......if a team gains the puck on the offensive zone, do you require a regroup and a pass in the defensive & neutral zones when you play the "1 pass in all zones" game?

Dave M

Tom,

Thanks for your continued posts. It's very helpful to see your practices from start to finish.

One question for you: When you play the game with one pass in each zone, do players have to regroup all the way into their own D-Zone when they gain possession of the puck in the (1a) offensive or (1b) neutral zone?

Hope you had a good trip to Europe, and keep us posted on your plans for next year.

Thanks,
Dave M
------------------------------

Thanks Tom - Just a quick follow-up..... if a team gains the puck on the offensive zone, do you require a regroup and a pass in the defensive & neutral zones when you play the "1 pass in all zones" game?

Dave M
-------------------------------

Dave - not putting words into Tom's mouth, but this is my take...

(1a) If the players regain the puck in the OZ as a result of a forecheck, turnover / giveaway, I give the attacking team the green light to attack the net immediately (most goals are scored within a few seconds on transition.) I love to encourage offense, so go get 'em!

(1b) If the players regain the puck in the NZ as a result of a forecheck, turnover / giveaway, I have them make one pass, then attack the OZ onside. I try to stress a 'penetrating pass' (rather than a D - D or lateral pass - all width and little or no depth) which is to hit someone coming flat across the attacking blueline in full flight; such that they can enter the OZ between the dots, with speed (split the D).

---

If a team comes through the NZ and gains the OZ off the rush, I tell the attacking team that as they enter the zone (on side), they must gain the level of the top of the circles / faceoff dots / creaseline (you determine your 'rules') before they can attack the net.

I don't tell the players this with the goalies within earshot. In fact, I tell the teams in isolation of each other... so neither really knows the 'rules' that the other is governed by... they have to watch and figure it out. Then I change the rules - even shift by shift - to keep people on their toes.

I set these rules to encourage practicing different 'layers' or levels of attack... and to increase the offensive team's awareness of the importance of getting possession deep in the O zone. To gain the requisite 'level', they can choose to skate the puck / pass it / chip it / rim it / cross ice dump it / aerial it to space, etc. before shooting / attacking the net.

The game is the best teacher and will 'tell' them what to do. Where is the available space? Ahead or behind the defender? Take it!
------------------------------------------------------------
Dave and Dean. If the team gains possession in the neutral zone I require that they make at least one pass before entering the offensive zone. If the puck goes in first then it is ok but one more pass is required before shooting.

In my morning session today Chris the goalie coach had them working on going side to side in the net and also looking behind. We played a half ice game at each end; one 3 on 3 and one 4 on 4 where they had to chenge the point of attack below the goal line to either a team mate behind the net or below the goal line on the other side. This caused the goalie to have to move and gets the players to realize that changing the point of attack forces the defenders to cover a lot more space.

We then did a full ice game 7 on 7 with the same rule for ten minutes and with only the rule on at least one pass in each zone for tean minutes.

I was thinking today that a good support rule would be "the puck must move from one zone to the other within 2". It would require really quick support.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Thanks Dean - This makes a lot of sense, and I'm looking forward to using it. By the way I read everything I could get my hands on from the long list of game sense and TGFU resources....we've been playing handball with varying rules and enjoying it very much. I just got Tony Wagner's book too....Thanks for all the info.

Dave

I used the one pass in each zone rule with great success with 8 y.o.'s last season. They started to head man the puck on their own (i.e, penetrating passes that Dean mentions), and the players without the puck were much more motivated support the puck carrier because they knew he had to make a pass.

Junior

Quote by: DaveM

Thanks Dean - This makes a lot of sense, and I'm looking forward to using it. By the way I read everything I could get my hands on from the long list of game sense and TGFU resources....we've been playing handball with varying rules and enjoying it very much. I just got Tony Wagner's book too....Thanks for all the info.

Dave

No problem Dave; you're welcome. I just received several more books today and will post the titles when I get a chance. A few more are on order. (Im)patiently waiting!

Handball is the great equalizer. Most kids can run, pass, catch, etc. Removes the skill advantages and disadvantages... once they master handball games, try playing the same games / rules with floorball or floor hockey sticks - this will provide better transfer to the ice.

My principal friend and I are still writing an article for the school board using Tony Wagner's book as a framework - I will post it when it is finished.

Cheers!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: rcmat

I used the one pass in each zone rule with great success with 8 y.o.'s last season. They started to head man the puck on their own (i.e, penetrating passes that Dean mentions), and the players without the puck were much more motivated support the puck carrier because they knew he had to make a pass.

Good stuff rcmat!

How did tryouts / evaluations go? (Might want to answer on the other, more applicable forum thread...?)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: TomM

Looking through the old bulletin board I came across a letter I wrote to Court Dunn who uses the ABC method in Penn and gets a lot of resistance because he uses so many games in practice. He has a middle school team and his school is very small. They regularly beat JV high school teams.

I wrote this to give him some moral support and I put links to hockeydb that give info about the 85ers I coached in 97 and 98 spring hockey and where they ended up playing. 2 NHLers, one Hobey Baker winner.

There is a lot of resistance to using games in practice and as the saying goes; "The proof is in the RESULTS"

Tom,

I liked the letter you wrote. Certainly a strong group of motivated players and no doubt, their success was directly linked to you as their coach and your style of coaching! Well-done! This letter provides longitudinal proof (in hindsight) that the coaching methodology works very well!
--------------------------------------------
Dean, there is also another angle to look at it. Using games in practice does not destroy a players chance of playing at high levels. Some parents are terrified that if their child uses a lighter puck, plays cross ice, doesn't stand in line 80% of the time at practice waiting for their turn to touch the puck for a few seconds, then they will never make it.

The biggest benefit of the ABC method is that players enjoy practice and develop a love for the game as a life time sport. I say this because I am heading to play hockey in about ten minutes and the physical and social benefits of playing all your life are even more important than success in that short window of time we are at our physical prime.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Well said Tom.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

This practice was to review the individual and team skills we have already done and create a lot of puck battles. We reviewed stick on stick technique and various escape moves. We moved to puck protection along the boards and played various competitive games in reduced space. There was only one goalie at the practice.

Battling and Puck Protection Practice

Goals: Role 3-Checking skills: defensive side
And stick on stick positioning.
Role 1: Puck protection and escape moves.
Battling along the boards skills.

7 min.
1-0, 2-0 Shooting at one end.

8 min.
B6 Pass and Shoot While Skating
1. Leave 2-0 from each corner and allow the players in front 2 or 3 passes before starting.
2. Pass while skating they can be one touch or two touch then pass.
3. Shoot before reaching the hash marks and rebound.
4. Switch sides with the inside player going to the outside when you go the other way.
5. Switch corners after a few minutes so the goalies get shots from the other side.

10 min.
3-0 Weave and Regroup with Coach
-3 players leave and pass to the outside, follow their pass. Skate to the big ice between the dots and pass and follow the pass.
-Regroup with the coach who makes sure there is a player on the strong side boards facing the puck, a player in the middle giving the skates and stick as a target and a player in the wide lane before passing.
-Attack 3-0 the other way finishing with a triangle and a shot.

10 min.
D400 1 on 1 on 1 Battles
-players are in two colours.
-in this game all three players compete against each other and try to score.
-keep track of which team scores the most goals.
-move the line-up to the top of the circles to reduce the space.

5 min.
B500 Stick on Stick and stick on the puck technique.
-Partners work in a small area.
-first without a puck and the offensive one shields his stick.
-finish with shielding the puck and the defender keeps his stick on the ice and on the puck.
-finish with keep away.

10 min.
B500 Cut Backs and Escape Moves
1. One player goes about 7 seconds doing cut backs and escape moves and go to the net on the whistle while the coach puts a puck in the other corner.
2. Offensive player protect the puck while the defensive player keeps the stick on the ice and on the puck with passive resistance.
3. Go to the net on the whistle vs passive resistance. Repeat other corner.

5 min.
B500 Puck Protection Stick on the Puck Battle.
- Start with passive resistance and battle to the net on the whistle.
- Coach shoot the puck into the corner and the players battle and try to score.
- Alternate corners.

DT400 2 on 2 Game of Quick Transition
- We played from the top of the circles.
- 2 on 2 and when the defense gets the puck, the goalie freezes it or on a goal they pass to the waiting team mates.
- Original attackers must now play defense.
Rotation is: Offense-Defense-Pass-Rest
Keep Score

E1 - 1 on 1 Race
- Players start with one skate on the dot and race for the puck in the middle.
- Keep score.
- In this practice we only had one goalie so we went one way.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

This practice was the first day of a long weekend and many families went out of town so only 6 skaters and one goalie was there. We worked on shooting skills for the first 30 minutes while the goalie coach worked with the one goalie.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Shooting Technique Practice

Goalies worked at one end while the skaters

Worked on shooting skills.
30 Minutes B300 Shooting Instruction and Practice Key Points:
Stress shooting out of the stick handling motion while skating.
Start stationary and then skate back and forth across the ice.
Shoot the wrist and snap shot off the inside foot and the slap shot off the outside foot.

Four Phases of Shooting:
a. Wind-up
b. Force Production
c. Release
d. Follow Through

Description:
1. Demonstration with the players watching while standing on the blue line.
2. Players spread around the rink and shoot at the boards.
3. Players skate across the ice and back and take a shot on each side and follow the shot for a rebound.
4. Progress through the shots in this order.
1. wrist shot.
2. snap shot
3. slap shot
4. Backhand.
5. Partner pass and shooter receive and shoot as quickly as possible.

Coaches give individual help and the players gather to watch a demo as each shot is introduced. Goalie Instruction at one end.

23 Minutes
D4 Game with Jokers
Play a game with the rule that a joker must be passed too when the defense gains the puck.
3 coaches are the jokers and pass to the team that passes to them

7 Minutes
E1 Shootout Race 1 on 1
Start with one skate over a face-off dot and race for a puck in the middle.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

There were 12 skaters and 2 goalies. The goal was to review puck handling and work on close puck support using drills and games. We also did some passing and shooting in the skills section of practice.

5 min. Nervous system Overload
-Handle 2 pucks at once around the ice. Try one in the skates and one on the stick.

20 min. Russian Puck Handling Routine with Shots.
-handle the puck all around the body with big moves, fake shots, tight turns, escape moves and finish with a shot
-coach demo first

10 min.
- We did the puck handling and passing drills and finished with a shot.

15 min.
D4 Games for Puck Support
- 2 games of 7 minutes.
- Rules- must clear the zone to go onto offense.
- At least 2 passes before scoring.
- Scorer cannot score again until all teammates have scored.

D100 Full Ice 3-3
16 min.
- One minute shifts and pass to the goalie on the whistle then change.
- At least one pass in each zone.
- Every player on the line must score before you can score again.

9 minutes
Rebound at each end.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

14 Skaters and 2 Goalies

Goals: Puck Handling with loose shoulders all around the body. Backward skating. Breakout options. Scoring.

10 min.
B500
Players practice their shot or moves while coaches give individual help. Players choice of activity to work on.

15 min.
B6 – Crossover figure 8’s. We started from diagonal corners. Each zone a different activity. Carry a puck-finish with a shot.
a. forward with fast hands and fast feet.
b. Backward, two hands on the stick.
c. Transition skate facing the far end forward to backward then shoot.
d. Carry the puck only on the forehand side of the stick.
e. Carry the puck only on the backhand side of the stick.
f. Transition skate F to D and shoot.
Goal of exercise - Cross over forward and backward loosen the shoulders and roll the wrists.

15 Minutes
A2 Backward Skating Instruction.
- Review backward skating technique while the goalies work at one end.

8 min.
D4 Backward Skating game at each end. Players can only skate backwards and must clear the zone and get onside before attacking.

7 min

C2-D4 Jursi Backward Skating Game of Tag
3 players leave in each half of the ice. One skates backward and 2 chase. Whoever tags the player is now IT and skates backward. Idea is not to get tagged.

7 minutes
A2 Nzone Overspeed with a shot.
Players make moves, dekes, fakes at top of top speed and finish with a shot. Whistle every 7” and they go in and shoot while the next players start.

10 Minutes
T2 B5 5-0 Breakout Practice
5-0 at each end with 4 reps. Pass to the coach in the middle after each rep.
a.1-D wheel behind and to wing.
b. other D wheel and to wing.
c. D to D to C
d. other D to D to C

10 min.
D100 Game of 5-5 extra players on the bench.
Rule is there must be at least one pass in each zone and the players are to focus on being in position for breakout passes.
Change on the fly.

7 min.
E1 Shootout 2-0 Both Must Score
Key Points:
Goalie vs Goalie and Team vs Team. Attack with speed and shoot to score. Goalie focus on the shooter then play the pass or rebound. Keep the puck alive after it is frozen.
Description:
1. Two players leave from each team.
2. Only one pass is allowed in the offensive zone.
3. Both players must score.
4. After the first goal get a new puck.
5. Stay in the zone until you score. Goalie shoot frozen pucks to the side.
Rule: Score on first shot then no laps. Score on second shot one lap. If it takes three or more shots to score two laps. Losing goalie one lap.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
38 posts :: Page 1 of 2