4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6998 times)  

Tom I've been assisting an excellent head coach with a Tier 2 Squirt AA team in Michigan. We are a small fast team in Michigan's top 15.

I'm a huge proponent of your book and we use SAGS for 25-50% of our practices. The head coach and I really enjoy coming up with rules to force the kids to apply methods we are looking for during game conditions.

That said, one of our big problems is maintaining man on man coverage away from the puck and particularly staying on the defensive side of the puck. I would think lots of 3 on 3 play would enforce this but it does not seem to be getting thru to the players. I understand these are 10 yos. Maybe that is the limitation. Do you have a specific SAG for maintaining D side of the opposition and the puck? Any thoughts you have onthis would be appreciated.

Second question is what system would be best for a small fast skating team. I considered using a 2-2-1 since our strongest players are all forwards and we had to convert a forward to defense this year. Not sure if 10 yo's could get a 2-2-1 mentally but it would be exciting! Thoughts?

*When the word "system" comes up I know what a lot of you are thinking. We spend a large percentage of time on individual skills and these kids can all skate with the puck and have strong forward and backward crossovers etc.

Thanks for this site Tom!

Tony, sounds like you are having a good season.

Wit young kid's I have found that they can all count to five and if you can count to 5 then you can play a team game. You really can ask for any system by counting.

They are going to play a 2-1-2 in most places after they leave you so I would use this. Tell them to look at a dice with the 5 dots. This is how they should try to maintain their postioning. 2 up one in the middle and one back.

Have them stand in a dice formation and tell the forwards that their home postion is wing or centre and the D that back is their homr position. Now have the C replace the wing and the wing drop back into the middle, Then the D replace a w and the middle player move back and the w to the middle.

So if 2 players are in front of you then you are 3. If 3 are in front of you then you are at the point etc. This is total hockey and how the game is really played. It leads into teaching the cycle, the attack triangle play one and the man on and box behind.

Explain how they start at the faceoff in the home positions but if they are closest to the puck they have to get it or are the closest checker they have to angle the puck carrier.

You are now teaching them to be both physically and mentally involved as well as teaching Total Hockey. You can move the the concept of creating offensive and defensive 2-1's.

A good game for defensive side is the game in one zone where you play 1-1 up to a 3-3 and have to pass the puck to your pointman on transition. A good way to start is they have to pass to one of the coaches who shoots or passes within 2 seconds (but will stop the play if everyone isn't covering someone) no one checks the point. Move to passing to their teammate at the point when they get better at it. I would start with 1-1, then 2-2 then 3-3 with coaches at the point and then teammates. I will attach a diagram.

Tony,

Further to Tom's suggestion.

Play a 1 vs 1 one net game of give and go. Players are scattered around the boards and blueline.

Rule is that you must make a give and go with one of the stationary players before shooting. The defender must stay with the active player.

Reinforce that you "Identify your man" then "Stay between him and the net". I like to use the term "Net, Me, Him".

You can make it 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 as a progression.

Good Luck.

Tom M Paulie thanks for the suggestions. We alreayd play Tom's battle game and sometie add an element of "add a man" up to 3 by passing to a team's point man. We will try Paulie's drill.

I have use your "4 playing roles" to pretty good success with the players.
We have stuck with the 2-1-2 and use F1 F2 F3 with the F3 staying high in the offensive zone.

We have also instituted the cycle with great success. 10 yo defensmen understandably really struggle against this strategy.

After watching one of your swiss videos we have begun using the passing drill with opposing lines and player faking oncoming players or performing a skill in the middle. Wow do we get a ton of puck in that drill in a short period!

Thanks again for the site!

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1