3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3927 times)  

Hi,
Well for 3 years I have been trying to get my son to hold his stick right. He is now a minor Atom playing Rep. What I mean about his stick is that he holds his top hand wrong. He flips his hand upside down so his fingertips face up and his knuckles down and looks almost like his bottom hand. I've changed the knob at the end of the stick so there is almost nothing there. He is using a Junior stick which fits his hands. Funny thing is, and I don't know how he does it, but he is a very good stick handler and can deke defenders and goalies out. When I do yell at him to hold his stick right he does it for a few strides and goes back. When he hold it right to shoot, his shot isn't bad but weak as expected when wrong. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out and temped to tape his hand to his stick to re-create his muscle memory.

Any suggestions????
Thanks

Hemmi it might be fine now but it is simply bad mechanics. Like having a wheel out of line. It may not be too much problem when going slow but on the highway it is really bad.

I will share a little story.

About 5 years ago a NCAA asst. coach who was in charge of recruiting and used to stay at my house when he came to this part of the world, was here to look at a Jr. A defenseman. We went to the game about 2 hours from here and he had the same grip your son has. He was a great skater and really smart player and you could see that he was trying to hold his stick in a mechanically efficient way but it kept slipping back to poor mechanics. His passes and shot didn't have the zip that an 18 year olds should because he couldn't snap his wrist in the direction of the projection. He wasn't offered a scholarship because of this.

If your son has any aspirations to play at a higher level he should tape his top hand to the stick until he gets rid of this ineffective grip. If he just wants to go out and play he will never be as good as he could be.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks very much for that story. Just want to think that I was being harsh by taping his hand but in order to get it right that is the only to force the memory. Thanks again!

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1