6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7005 times)  

Any one heard of this before and how would you calculate this. Thanks

Eric,

Are your talking about Positive Power Play Percentage? (If this isn't what you mean, please clarify...)

If so, I think you might mean: take your PP %, add your PK % to get an overall combined %.

You want them to be at 100% or higher (105 - 110 %)

I did my thesis on the power play, starting in 1995. Back then, some teams had 108% in the regular season; this positively correlated with their overall standing in the league. Not sure what the top teams are scoring now... you would have to do a bit of research... check out NHL.com to see if they have some archival special teams % and then check the overall standings for that year.

Let me know what you find out!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

I'm not referring to the Power Play. Apparently it is a stat that teams use to track positive plays made by forwards/defense on an individual basis.

Just curious if anyone else had heard of it or used it before.

Eric - I just heard of this term the other day, while watching some videos on-line. Search youtube for "pro playmakers hockey" and you should find the page. (I tried posting the link but it detects it as spam) The video blog #5 "Understanding How to Measure Your Game", mentions it briefly but they don't elaborate on it a whole lot. Daryl Belfry, the guy making the blogs, says he's going to do more detailed versions this year and charge $2 a pop. Given the cast of characters/clientel (Kane, Tavares, Duchene etc.) I'm going to give it a try.

Hope this helps,
Dave

ps. Anyone else looked at this resource before or have thoughts on his instruction?

When Bob Murdoch coached in the NHL and in Europe the only stat he cared about was the decisions players make when they get the puck. If they made a play or gained a zone when the play wasn't possible they got a plus and a minus when they game the puck away in a dangerous area. A 5% swing is the difference between losing a winning.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=20080727015524128 is the video on this site where he is a guest lecturer in my college coaching class. He talks about a lot of things worth listening to and one of these is the importance of this stat on decisions with the puck.

Stewart Behie made a computer program that tracked decisions and we used it at the U of Calgary. I will have to watch the video again to remember the % and their significance.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks Dave and Tom!

Dave, I looked at the video and it was interesting. I looked at a couple other of his videos and I think he has some great ideas. Let me know if you continue to learn from the $2 blog fee and there is new information and not just further explanation, I will also buy a couple.

Tom,

That seems on par with what I was thinking it meant. Tracking positive plays with the puck for individual players. I remember watching the video a couple times a couple years ago but I should probably revisit it. Thanks again.

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1