21 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 22360 times)  

Coaches Meeting.

Dean, Dan, John "The Columbian" and myself met at Nicks Restaurant yesterday to share ideas.

The meeting was very productive and about a half hour in I remembered that Playbook tablet has a video camera. The ideas being shared were so good that I decided to turn on the camera and record what was being discusse.

We decided we would like to have a meeting once a month and I will film it.

We plan to have different coaches from many sports and try to share common principles of coaching.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Coaches present:
Dean - youth hockey, skills academy, Jr. A and B, Major Jr, College, University, Team Canada at IIHF Worlds.
Dan - youth hockey, Jr. A, College, Major Junior.
Tom - Youth hockey, college, university, international youth and pro.
John "The Columbian" - international soccer/football coach who also coaches hockey with Dean, pro soccer in SA, Canada U18F.

The topic mostly focused on using games. We shared a lot of ideas together and then John showed us some games he uses in soccer which transfer well to hockey or any goal game. I started the video with John.

It is really good stuff which I have never seen used in hockey.

I have made a folder for these meeting in the video section and hope they become a regular feature.

It is best to watch the "Kings Score Game" before the "Time Machine."

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=37&page=1

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom, these are some of the activities that will be in the forthcoming coaching book... I hope to get the bulk of the writing done this summer. John and I will need to sit down a few times to finalize some of the details. We are also hoping to record some footage of the activities in a gym setting - potentially put a DVD together so coaches can see the activities in action. I will keep you posted.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

This is brilliant idea!!

Thank you
------------------------------------------
I hope we can get regular meetings going. My thought is we take a topic and give everyone some time to tell how they coach it on and off ice and then a discussion. It is too bad I didn't video the first part of the meeting because each of us gave game ideas.

Maybe you can do the same thing in Finland and post it.

Kai

Maybe there could be international session via Skype or something?

Kai

The Colombian and I are looking at a monthly meeting - initially for interested local soccer and hockey (and other minor sport coaches), but the ability to use Skype is interesting - to reach out to other interested people. "The Coaching Knights of the Round Table" is in the preliminary stages, but once we get it sorted, we will let you know...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I am on vacation for a while and in Picton Ontario a few days then to Halifax 4 days and whe I get back I drive to our camp in Jasper.

One of the guys I play Friday hockey with runs a company that does on line education around the world and he told me he can arrange a video conference where 4 or maybe 6 coaches can be online at the same time for a meeting.

I will arrange one and see if there is any interest i August.

It is hard typing on the screen. I am at Mcd,s where they have wifi

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

If you guys are looking for a place to hold these round table I suggest the new google+

It is similar to facebook but has a group chat mode that allows ten people to come and go as they please in a video chat format. It's only in beta right now and you have to be invited but I got an invite a couple days ago and with that I can invite people to join. Search for google+ and the video chat feature is called "huddles". I think it would be easier to use and much easier to continue to expand you "roundtable" discussions in the future.

Let me know and I can send out invites.
---------------------------------------------
Thanks for the heads up Eric. I will check it out.

Just finished my morning workout and will spend the rest of the day in Halifax with my wife, daughter and grand daughter. We fly to Calgary tonight and get in at 22:30 and I have to leave by about 09:00 to make the drive to Jasper and be on the ice for my 3 pm session.

The Czech team didn`t get a grant from the city to bring me there; so for the first time since 88 I don`t have a team to coach next year. Maybe that will change. Who knows. I still do the skills sessions for the same school as the last two years.

When I am back in about a week I will try to get some coaches together and do another round table.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

The league I coached in last seasn folded and my only options were to coach in another place unti two days ago.

I have agreed to coach a Female U18 midget AAA team last night.

A former NHL player was to coach but his daughter is now going to play at the Edge Sports School, so he resigned and they contacted me.

These players want to get scholarships so they want to get to that level. I accepted the position because my strength is player devopment and I enjoy coaching players who want to get better.

I now need to find a good asst. and have texted a friend who played ten years of pro in Europe and enjoys coaching.

They start up the third week of August with tryouts and a draft for the Calgary teams.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

On http://hockeycoach.com there is a Video Chat function at the top of the home page.

Video chat Link

Dean and I tried the chat program and it worked well.

I invite coaches to chat about
Topic: "What you like to do at the start of the season."
Time: Sat. Aug 6
12:00 Mountain Standard Time - which is
13:00 CST
14:00 EST
11:00 PST
21:00 in Finland
20:00 in Central Europe

I'm sure everyone can figure out their time.
I chose noon here because then it isn't too late in Finland or other parts of Europe.

Lets give it a try. If coaches think another day is better then post the comment.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

I will play it by ear, but doubtful... I am usually too busy playing dad on the weekends!

Really liked the video chat function though - it worked well!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

So where is everyone? I was little late noone was there?

Kai

Hi Kai,

I wasn't available at that time... playing dad on the weekends! I know John was coaching and Dan is away running hockey camps - not sure where Tom was... maybe he forgot?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Sorry I missed the meeting I called. My camping trip got put back a day because I broke a tooth and had to go to the dentist. I just got back from the mountains.
You call the next time.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thats okay, lets try it some other time.
---------
Kai, I went online just after noon today but no one was there.
Sunday - Tom

Kai

Quote by: Eric

If you guys are looking for a place to hold these round table I suggest the new google+

It is similar to facebook but has a group chat mode that allows ten people to come and go as they please in a video chat format. It's only in beta right now and you have to be invited but I got an invite a couple days ago and with that I can invite people to join. Search for google+ and the video chat feature is called "huddles". I think it would be easier to use and much easier to continue to expand you "roundtable" discussions in the future.

Let me know and I can send out invites.
---------------------------------------------
Thanks for the heads up Eric. I will check it out.

The Google+ is open, and this video chat seems good.

Kai

Kai,

I received an email from Google+ with your name on it... wasn't sure what it was, so I deleted it in case it was an infection... Oops! I guess I need to look at Google+ to figure out what it is all about... next week when I have more time!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

hockeygod,

Google+ is just google's version of facebook.

Quote by: Eric

hockeygod,

Google+ is just google's version of facebook.

Thanks Eric. I am not a facebooker so this is good to know. I read up a bit about Google+ and it is supposed to be less clunky than Facebook.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I don't have facebook either but I signed up for this google+.... I have no friends and don't use it. Hopefully everyone on here jumps on board and I can actually use it for something!

21 posts :: Page 1 of 1