2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6152 times)  

Hi Tom. Want to bring up a topic or concept that I believe had been discussed once before on one of the two prior ABC board formats. Going to throw this out there first and then do some looking to find the posts and discussion on it.

The concept is to have the strong side wing (in the DZ) to play right up in front of the strong side D at the blue line. The low suporting F or D in the corner is to get the puk hard up the boards (hard rim) to this high F and the idea is chip past the D and hopefully get a 2 - 1 started in thru the NZ and down to the other end.

The high F is to "force" the D to play the hard rim.

Watched this done well by a AAA team last night. Formula and setting was perfect. F's on the one team doing this were small and very quick. Opposing D (in general) on the blue line that this was being done to were big and somewhat slower. Great strategy and good coaching in my mind.

Great concept to work with your team if this "setting" should arise.

Tom - if you could chime in on the "name" of this concept (I seem to remember it as the "reverse pinch") and maybe a drill idea or two to try out on the ice.

Thanx Tom as always.

By: Likes:

CoachP7, I don't know if it is called the reverse pinch but it is an effective way to eliminate the pinch. We started doing this vs the U of Alberta who are usually the top team in the Canada West conference. They would pinch the first period and get in front by a goal or two early. They have a narow rink and it was impossible to break out against them.

We started putting the winger backside right up against the D. He would chip out a hard rim or pass and we would pick it up in the nzone and get a lot of 2-1's. The centre or the weak side wing coming across would pick up the puck.

We dominated them the two seasons we did this and forced them to play a conservative pinch.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
2 posts :: Page 1 of 1