51 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Likes:

Quote by: Eric

Great discussion guys..

Tom,

What is the title of the booklet and video and do you know where I could get it? Looks like it would be a nice addition to a lot of the games already on the site.

Great diagrams on transition stats. Hearing the numbers are always one thing but seeing them can touch another chord for some, myself included.

Eric,

The booklet is "Transition - From Game to Practice" by Erkka Westerlund, 1994. Another one is "Transition - Defense to Offense" by Slava Lener, 1992. Both are available for sale through the Hockey Canada Resource Centre. They are about $20 and I see they 'updated' them for 2010 (which means new pictures on the front... hard to say anything has changed on the inside!) These books are worthwhile, in my opinion.

http://www2.hockeycanada.ca/breakaway/coach-s-library/cbreakaway-ccoachlibrary-p1.html

I also recommend the 1998 and 2001 Advanced II Proceedings - each $34.95.

The rest don't really tickle my fancy. ("40 of the Best" was the one I did with Tom and Mike... but it is DRILLS! ACK What was I thinking back then...!!!!)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Tom , Dean,

Follow up from the conversation Tom that we had earlier today. I was just contacted from coach of the team that I have been doing practice's with. He wants to continue with the Transition games that I ran last practrice as i sad before that was an introduction for them. I suggested to him about only having Two colours and put some competition into this practice , now that they have an understanding of the games. It is a first step and hopefully it will continue. He likes what he has been seeing in the games this past weekend.

I plan on putting these stats together so I can post them at practice for the players to see. Show the importance keeping turnovers to a minimum if possible , and the importance of a good backcheck as a whole unit. NO fly by's do your job and play your role.

I heard a stat once about the percentage on a turnover at or a team failing to get the puck out within 5 ft of the blueline.
Have you guys heard of a stat like this.?

I can't seem to find it. Or maybe I think that I have heard such a stats.

RookieCoach[/p]

RK,

Sounds good! Two colours + competition & accountability = fun!

You might also consider 3 or 4 colours in time... play the King's Scoring Game. (Tom posted a video of John describing this game earlier... in August?) When a team gets scored on, they hustle off and a new team comes on to challenge the goal scorers. The goal scorers dig the puck out of the empty net or goaltended net (or coach spots them a puck if they score on a shooter tutor) so they can quickly transition to attack the opposite end. You play this as a transition game... which means you go end-to-end. You stay on if you score (you can't change) and over time, the scoring team gets fatigued and eventually the chance for mistakes go up as they face fresh legs after each goal.

Today we played this with grade 8's and the first shift lasted 8 minutes before a goal was scored! (We had 2 empty nets at one end and two shooter tutor nets at the other - no goalies). Rules were you must score top shelf or 5 hole on tutors; on the empty nets, you must score "clean" (puck in air and hits mesh - no posts, crossbars, no on ice) and you must release your shot above the offensive zone face off dots. We didn't allow offsides.

We played for 40 minutes, 4 v 4, and the score was only 6-4 at the end! Amazing to see how many kids couldn't hit the net AT ALL / couldn't score "clean" / couldn't raise the puck under pressure! The teacher wanted to change to the lines becasue it was toaking so long to score... NO! Let the game teach the game... the kids need to adapt. Quit trying to "impose your explicit will and desire for everything to always be fair and equal" for Pete's sake (I am being politically correct this time! Wink )

Turnovers 5-7' on either side of either blueline (O or D) is referred to as the "Shit the Bed Zone" or STB Zone. (Sorry for the lack of political correctness here... so sue me!) The old mantra was "get it in deep, don't screw around with it as you attack the O blueline" - or dump it in... and "Get it OUT of your own zone... Don't screw around with it in your own end"! I like to refer to the latter as the "Moose Jaw Breakout" - "High and hard off the glass, boys... whistle it up by their heads!"

Times have changed since 1997 when I was in the 'Jaw!

Now it is more a skill / possession game - thank goodness! Mind you, putting the puck into or just behind the defenders skates, or into an open area to force the defender to turn, or an area where you or your teammate has a higher percentage chance to recover the puck can be perfectly acceptable on the attack... "Risk vs Reward" again.

So far as stats surrounding the STB zone at either end, going either way... would these not have been addressed by Kai's earlier post? I would have to go back and re-read to see...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

OK don't laugh. Remember, I don't own a cell phone...!

Here is my attempt to modify one of Kai's diagrams using powerpoint and saved as a .pdf... may I present to all the "Figure 1: Transition Success" diagram found on page 76 of Bjorn Kinding's 1994 Advanced II Presentation, "TRANSITION". This is the one I tried to describe near the start of this forum thread.

HAHAHAHAHA .... it worked! There's mud in yer eye, technology!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I like to use two colours in practice and my team just got their brand new reversible jerseys with the team logo and numbers. I have pinnies in case I want to do a Kings Score type of rotation or divide the team into units. At practice we have half the F and half the D and one goalie in green and the other half in white. This makes playing SAG, games and transition games etc. easy.

I just posted todays practice where I am introducing a full ice backchecking transition game as well as a full ice transition game where the D joins the attack and the F backchecks. The forwards will play a quick transition game where the situations vary from 1-1 to 3-3, 1-2, 1-3, 3-1, 3-2, 2-2. I will tell how many new players leave when they are passed the puck. The practice is attached here and in the diary of a season. I post these because I have been using games and transiton games for a long time. When Sean my asst. who works with the D has them Natalie my goalie coach has the G for 10' each while I have one in one goal for a quick transiton game with the F's. I will move that game up to the top of the circles to reduce 'time and space.' We will keep track of who wins the most and the others will pick up the pucks.

Team play review on the sports court tomorrow and individual and team defense focus on Thursday which is our last ice time before the two weekend games.

So games can be used to practice all of the skills and the w/r ratio is adjusted by how many players join the play next. At my school skills session yesterday they played games with rules like only backward skating, baggo and two pass with the added rule that everyone must score before anyone can score a second goal.

By using games you reverse the 80% of the minutes standing in line in the average drills based practice (studies in both Canada and Europe show that in a drills based practice the players are moving 7-12 minutes and standing in line or listening to the coach 48-53 minutes. (that is why bag skates are needed-the players have hardly moved) A game based practice has players moving most of the time and only waiting so they can recover for the next rep. (you don't need to skate them at the end- they already have had a great work out)

Kai, how do you puck diagrams into the postings. I haven't figured that out yet.
-----------------
The transition game with the F backchecking and D joining is too complicated the way the diagram has it. Start with 1-1 giving passive support above the top of the circles and build from there. Need a new diagram.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Quote by: TomM

I like to use two colours in practice and my team just got their brand new reversible jerseys with the team logo and numbers. I have pinnies in case I want to do a Kings Score type of rotation or divide the team into units. At practice we have half the F and half the D and one goalie in green and the other half in white. This makes playing SAG, games and transition games etc. easy.

I just posted todays practice where I am introducing a full ice backchecking transition game as well as a full ice transition game where the D joins the attack and the F backchecks. The forwards will play a quick transition game where the situations vary from 1-1 to 3-3, 1-2, 1-3, 3-1, 3-2, 2-2. I will tell how many new players leave when they are passed the puck. The practice is attached here and in the diary of a season. I post these because I have been using games and transiton games for a long time. When Sean my asst. who works with the D has them Natalie my goalie coach has the G for 10' each while I have one in one goal for a quick transiton game with the F's. I will move that game up to the top of the circles to reduce 'time and space.' We will keep track of who wins the most and the others will pick up the pucks.

Team play review on the sports court tomorrow and individual and team defense focus on Thursday which is our last ice time before the two weekend games.

So games can be used to practice all of the skills and the w/r ratio is adjusted by how many players join the play next. At my school skills session yesterday they played games with rules like only backward skating, baggo and two pass with the added rule that everyone must score before anyone can score a second goal.

By using games you reverse the 80% of the minutes standing in line in the average drills based practice (studies in both Canada and Europe show that in a drills based practice the players are moving 7-12 minutes and standing in line or listening to the coach 48-53 minutes. (that is why bag skates are needed-the players have hardly moved) A game based practice has players moving most of the time and only waiting so they can recover for the next rep. (you don't need to skate them at the end- they already have had a great work out)

Kai, how do you puck diagrams into the postings. I haven't figured that out yet.
-----------------
The transition game with the F backchecking and D joining is too complicated the way the diagram has it. Start with 1-1 giving passive support above the top of the circles and build from there. Need a new diagram.

Tom, I have used a similar type of drill F backchecking and D joining the rush. The one you posted on your Daily Drill Section Eight yesterday as a Transition game contains more roles being used . I will give this one a try soon , as I am going to have a backchecking theme practice in the near future.
Tom posted the video link on his Daily Drill section Eight.
Check it out.

RookieCoach
---------------------------------
RK - http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=20101007154527928 is a link showing Dean doing this with a lot of the Flames and other pro's in a pre season camp last year. The transition game requires a breakout and low zone play.
Some of the players at college played for me for 3-4-5 years and were so used to the transition games that the supporting players would join low and make it a 3-3 instead of being passive above the circles. I will attach the pdf of the drill. I think it is the one you mention.

Tom, Yes that is the drill I was talking about. It is a good drill , good for the D joining the rush.
It is a little faster pace than the DT 100 D Joins the play and F Backchecks.( although a little difference in skill level between videos) But this drill DT 100 Contains a few more elements. Breakout , support , Backchecking , D joining the rush , and a 2 on2 low.
By the way , Dean does use drills !!
I will definitely give the Dt100 Backchecking drill a try.
Thanks
RK
-----------------------------------------------
RK, there are a lot more gamelike situations and decisions, starting with using only one puck in transition games. I look at game situation drills and try to figure out how I can put the situation into a transition game. Most of the time we will do the drill to focus on one situation and then progress to a transition game.

So my sequence is to teach the individual skills. Isolate these skills with drills with no pressure, move to some pressure and then put them in game situations like SAG's, keepaway contests, etc.

With team skills we walk thru situations then work on them in drills and then into transition games.

As the players get better I don't keep teaching the same skill in different drills but instead play different kinds of games and create drills that have more components.

It is totally different doing the games and transition games with pro's. When I did these in Austria it was neat watching how quickly they do everything. I remember doing a cross ice game with jokers behind each net and they had to pass to each joker before scoring. The puck just flew arond the ice. Often the joker behind the defensive net would pass to the offensive joker who would one time to the player and bang. In the net.

Coaching youth is totally different because they need a lot more work on the individual skills whereas the pro's need to work on the details and doing things at top speed. Youth hockey is much more challenging.

Quote by: RookieCoach

Tom, Yes that is the drill I was talking about. It is a good drill , good for the D joining the rush.
It is a little faster pace than the DT 100 D Joins the play and F Backchecks.( although a little difference in skill level between videos) But this drill DT 100 Contains a few more elements. Breakout , support , Backchecking , D joining the rush , and a 2 on2 low.
By the way , Dean does use drills !!
I will definitely give the Dt100 Backchecking drill a try.
Thanks
RK

AARRGH! Damn you for noticing RK!

"Give 'em what they want" - GUILTY!

Yes, I had to de-train my mind and stoop to an all-time low level to work with the pros... never again! They wondered if I would come back this year, but all they wanted was flow drills, etc. so I said no. I don't care how much they pay! These 'drills' were a hybrid in that they were more game-like and we kept score... even so I am still not off the hook!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I decided to checkout a local Minor Hockey game last night . But I went with a blank rink on a sheet of paper and a pen , so I could track turnovers . It was a Atom AAA game. Both teams had fairly even talent , but one team clearly had better "vision " than the other. They protected the puck and skated and made plays with their heads up all the time. The other team skated looking at the puck , never made use of the supporting players and most of their shots came from the outside. (poor vision")
I have attached a PDF of the turnovers from the team that lost . I think all coaches would be surprised at the number of turnovers your team makes if you were to track a game or two.

After looking at this PDF , what changes would or how would you address this issue ?

Dean, Look at the number of turnovers in the "Sh** zone ( as you would call it) 5-7 ft at each blueline.
All goals were scored from turnovers with in 5-10 sec. approx. Failing to get the puck deep , attacking the blueline with very little speed , passing at the blueline. Or feet not moving , weak passes , or reacting as the play is happening , NOT reading the play.

Any thoughts ?

RookieCoach

Interesting! I will look at it more over the weekend. One game is not a large enough sample size but it gets one thinking; plus it would mean the most to the particular team you were recording for... along with your observations.

I recorded Tom's skill academy practice on Tuesday and then a Bantam Div 3 team practice last night. I am going to do an analysis from the bantam practice (1/2 ice) as I am mentoring the coach. Anything noteworthy, I will share under one of these threads...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Atoms? how old?

Kai

Age categories - Hockey Canada after the 2001 age changes:

Mini Mite (ages 1–2)
Mite (ages 3–4)
Tyke (ages 5–6)
Novice (ages 7–8)
Atom (ages 9–10)
Pee Wee (ages 11–12)
Bantam (ages 13–14)
Midget (ages 15–17)
Juvenile (ages 18–20)

In the United States, USA Hockey designates the following levels:

Mini Mite (ages 5-6) (Levels A)
Mite (ages 7-8) (Levels AA, A, B)
Squirt (ages 9–10) (Levels AAA, AA, A, B)
Peewee (ages 11–12) (Levels AAA, AA, A, B)
Bantam (ages 13–14) (Levels AAA, AA, A, B)
Midget Minor 16 and Under (ages 15–16) (Levels AAA, AA, junior varsity highschool-B)
Midget Major 18 and Under (ages 15–18) (Levels AAA, AA, varsity high school-B)

In Finland, the Finnish Ice Hockey Association roughly categorizes minor hockey players to under school-ages and school-ages. Children over 16 are considered as juniors, although the youngest juniors are still at the school-age. Minor and junior hockey levels are:

G- and F-minors (age 11 and younger)
E-minors (ages 12 to 13)
D-minors (ages 14 to 15)
C-juniors (age 16 and younger)
B-juniors (age 18 and younger)
A-juniors (age 20 and younger)

http ://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_ice_hockey

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

This is the great discussion we had on transition in hockey. I am posting to draw attention to the comments.

Key Topic.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

OK, RK Asked me to post this here on this thread (regarding PP) so here it is...

-----

My Master's was based on Bjorn Kinding's work. He took PP stats from the 1991 World Championships in Turku Finland. There were 100 analyzed PP's - 28 goals were scored (0.78%).

The summary numbers indicate success % for the different plays:

Half Boards 4%
On the Rush 8 %
End boards 13%
Points 75%

To score 17 goals from the point, the teams only gave up puck control a total of 13 times.

To score a single goal initiated from the half boards, it needed a total of 31 losses of puck control!

Knowing that puck control is one main source of success and a team can only afford to lose the puck once or twice per PP, it will take 15 pp's to score one goal this way. In other words, if your PP is built on plays from the half boards, you shouldn't expect a better average than 6.6%!

On the PP, the plays from the points produce:

61-75% of all goals;
67% of all first class scoring chances;
76% of all second class scoring chances, and;
23% of all puck control losses.

To create a scoring chance, the player on the point has these 4 BEST options:

Shoot or pass from an area straight in front of the net (between the faceoff dots):

1. on net;
2. to create a rebound ;
3. for a tip in and;
4. on a screened goalie.

The most and best scoring chances are produced by a point play from an area straight in front of the net (between the faceoff dots). (Bjorn removed 4 questionable goals and added an unclassifiable goal to the PP category) Ultimately, point shots from between the dots were the source of 110 out of 188 scoring chances and 15 out of 28 PP goals... or 59% of all PP scoring chances and 54% of all PP goals are initiated by a point play from between the faceoff dots. The importance that the point plays in between the dots is tremendous!

So to summarize, 'all' you have to do to achieve an effective PP is:

Collectively control the puck ... move the puck to the point ... have players screening in front of the net... and SHOOT! How simple is that?

BUT... as seen below, how much time should one worry about / actually practice the PP when compared to even strength situations... and all the potential times for TRANSITIONS to occur? You be the judge - and allocate your practice time (and coaching worry) proportionately ... errrrr I mean wisely!!!

-----

From an earlier, related post on transition:

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2978

A few quotes from Bjorn:

"In top international play, for instance the final game of the 1994 World Cup, puck possession changed from one team to the other 7.7 times per minute. There's just no time to get the whole team 100 percent into defending before there's a chance to attack again... you are constantly playing "transition hockey" "

"In 1990, I studied and analyzed the transition in 'modern' ice hockey. The study included games from the World Cup Pools A and B, the Swiss and German playoffs and the NHL. The result showed that 60 percent of all goals were scored on the transition, which means, that almost three times as many goals are scored on transition as on the power play (23 percent). But how many teams practice transition three times as much as they practice the power play?"

"If we focus on play with equal numbers of players on both sides, then 88 percent of all goals are scored on transitions... 94 percent of all first class scoring chances are created on transitions."

"...if you want to be good in the game of hockey you have to be great in the game of transition."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

This is the kind of topic I would like to see this discussion board return to. The season is starting in some places and is getting close in others places where lots of pre season on ice training is happening.

Coaches you are invited to start discussions and contribute to discussions on hockey coaching specific topics.
------------------------------------------------------
Dean, I deleted the posting on the lead is safe and your comment after as the exact same posting is on another topic a few threads down.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom ,
Funny you should bring this discussion back up on the board. I went back to it last week and had a quick look at it again.

The information that yourself , Dean , Kai , Dave , Eric and others posted was a great discussion and full of information.

Coaches , if you go over all the stats posted it will make you think of how you take them to practice and what areas need work.

Tom , Do all your players understand the game three game situations (0-1-2) and the four player roles before they step on the ice ?

Do your players understand the importance of transition as a team before the season starts and do you stress the point of quick transition ?

Hockey has become a TRANSITION GAME , but do coaches work on transition games or drills in practice

Once again I have picked up Tom's Book 2 - Hockey Coaching ABC's and going through it before the season starts for probably the forth time.
Great book Tom.

RookieCoach

Rookie Coach, the three game situations and the four game playing roles are the language I use when talking to my teams or giving clinics or skill sessions. They are the template of the game and the pillars for planning practices to prepare to play the game.

We practice transition every ice time because if you are going to gain possession of the puck 180 times and lose possession 180 times then you better be ready to quickly move from offense to defense to racing and winning loose pucks. To be successful the players must have good habits and good technique and be able to skate with balance and control.

It is critical to understand what actually happens in a game before you can play effectively.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,
What age groups would you start using your language ( 3 game situation and 4 playing roles ) for communication ?

What about teaching or communicating by numbers ?

What skills do you find young players lack in today's game aside from skating , puck handling , shooting etc?

I find many coaches don't teach puck protection , defensive side positioning , stick on stick etc.
Once players get to body checking players chase all over the ice for the big hit , forgetting about positioning or containing the opponent.

Thoughts from other coaches on skills we need to teach ?

RookieCoach

I would add the priorities of the game in to same category with the three situations and four playing roles.

Priorities of the game when in offense are:
1. to score a goal
2. to win space towards opponents goal
3. to create space to win the space (lateral passing or playing back to D etc.)
4. to maintain defensive readiness

Priorities of the game when in defense are:
1. to prevent scoring
2. to win the puck back to our team (pressure)
3. to prevent opponent from winning the space (defend the big ice)
4. to maintain offensive readiness

Kai

Kai , Great points you added.

From your stats you posted earlier on this topic (turnovers etc)

How do these stats affect the style and the systems that you coach in Finland ?

Do you work TRANSITION games each practice session ?

Reading all these stats on turnovers makes me think as a coach if you have the skill and speed on you team pressure is a must.

RookieCoach

Reading all these stats on turnovers makes me think as a coach if you have the skill and speed on you team pressure is a must.

RookieCoach

We work transition games in every practice and almost in every dryland practice too during the summer.
Continuum of the game is something that we want to pay attention to - how does the game continue when game situation changes? Are we in a good or in a bad postion to Attack/defend? What priority ? what role?
Anticipation / perception ->decision -> result

Player should please the game not the coach - The game sets the standard for the player.

Kai

RookieCoach

Transition games have been part of FIHA's development program since the 90's when Westerlund was head of coaching of Finnish Ice Hockey Association. In the late 90's FIHA added The ABC's Of International Ice Hockey to it's development program and to be introduced to coaches in FIHA's coaching clinics.

Kai

51 posts :: Page 2 of 2