7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7980 times)  

Hello Tom. Still check in once in awhile. Truly hope the site continues to gain momentum as it once did. Your knowledge sharing is second to none. Hope you keep at it. Patience (?) my friend.

Would like to generate some discussion on the state of the speed of the world jr's in particular the Sweden vs US game the other night. I'm just amazed at the team speed of both teams and the skill that went along with it (ie. stkhandling, passing, shooting, etc.)

Most impressive was the US's team speed and certain individuals. Wow. I don't quite remember the US being so fast as a team. There's always been the odd player here or there but they definitely have a good core of players that are both quick and have speed.

Head way in their off-ice conditioning, Tom ? Meaning, they must be reeeeeally making the most of their off-ice and dryland training.

Anyone else seeing this speed as well?

Any comments to this Tom?

Thanx as always Tom.

CoachP7, Good to here from you.
I have talked with some coaches from Switzerland at conferences and they say they have really improved their development programs for youth.

Clubs like Mannheim in Germany are also focusing on total development of the fitness and game sense. There like in Switzerland they use many more SAG and transition games to encourage creativity and game understanding along with modern off ice training.

Jim Setters from Calgary is in charge of the development program in Germany and he has really improved it. They are having a youth coaches conference during the world championships in May and for about $1000 you get the 3 or 4 days in a hotel, tickets to games and the conference sessions and material. I would love to attend it. Info is on the IIHF website.

I always find coaches from the USA to be more open to ideas for dryland training and using SAG in practices. I think that is why the Americans are developing players who skate fast and think fast.

I was sitting beside Bob Murdoch in the dressing room yesterday and he was saying how impressed he was by the speed the USA jr team has.

Most of the Canadian players are from major jr. teams that play too many games for them to do hard dryland during the season. I think they develop hockey savvy from playing so many games but individual power and speed development is sacrificed.

The Red Bull U18 team just did very well in a tournament in Finland. They have about 45 practice sessions a month with 2 on ice skills session, 4 ice practices, 2 games, 2 dryland and 1 treadmill skate per week. I think they have added one combative session like boxing since opening the new training centre.

If you are a good athlete and are in a program like that with good coaching you are going to develop into a player.

Erkka Westerlund just returned to being in charge of the programs in Finland and they will improve again.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Exciting game last night. Canada forechecked and pressured low with walk outs etc. while the USA countered with quick transition and got a lot of 2-1 and finally won 6-5 with a goal on a 3-1 in OT.

Kid's on both teams are extremely skilled.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I'm in the US, without the NHL Network or satellite tv. Anyone know where to view recordings of these games?

Sounds like the US has a really good group of kids right now. I wonder if the growth of junior hockey has helped at all? It goes against the theory of more skill practice & fewer games, but I'm willing to bet 90% of the players on the US roster played some junior hockey before going to college. Even the NTDP team playes a junior schedule.

When I graduated from high school here in the states (late 80's) no one played junior hockey....it was high school & straight to college mainly because there were no other options unless you lived close to Canada. Now there's a junior league of some sort in every region, some good and some not so good. As an organisation though USA Hockey and their new LTADM plan seems to be really moving in the direction of the European model of more practices to games.

Any thoughts on this?

Dman

www.tsn.ca has video on demand that should be available for people the world over. I am watching right now in Sweden.

I think the US has the right idea with development and we saw they put together a pretty good team this year. Canada, US, Sweden are a little bit ahead of the pack right now in Jr, but the gap just like with the Sr. teams seems to be closing. Even though Austria was relegated they impressed in the game I saw them against Sweden.

I did some coaching work in Finland last year and they are (want) to focus on developing more natural scorers and like everybody else d-men. Every team is always looking for strong overall d-man. The finns have the work ethic (sisu) to be competitive and have developed many good grinding players-they need the next Selanne. Some of the people I talked to this week were saying the Finnish media was disappointed in Michal Granlund. My reply was how much stronger he looked this year at this tournament-playing with HIFK in the SM-league he is a point a game player- and to me he looked like a much more developed player especially defensively in all zones. I reminded them he is a 17 year-old in 19 year old's tournament.

Adam Larrson #5 of Sweden-maybe didn't have a great tournament but he is the next stud d-man from that country if his head catches up to his size-talent level.

Thanks Acres,

I found the games on TSN:
http://watch.tsn.ca/2010-world-jr-championship-on-demand/

I appreciate the info.

I always find coaches from the USA to be more open to ideas for dryland training and using SAG in practices. I think that is why the Americans are developing players who skate fast and think fast.

I was sitting beside Bob Murdoch in the dressing room yesterday and he was saying how impressed he was by the speed the USA jr team has.

Most of the Canadian players are from major jr. teams that play too many games for them to do hard dryland during the season. I think they develop hockey savvy from playing so many games but individual power and speed development is sacrificed.

The Red Bull U18 team just did very well in a tournament in Finland. They have about 45 practice sessions a month with 2 on ice skills session, 4 ice practices, 2 games, 2 dryland and 1 treadmill skate per week. I think they have added one combative session like boxing since opening the new training centre.

If you are a good athlete and are in a program like that with good coaching you are going to develop into a player.

Interesting you bring this up Tom. My son attended an academy where the emphasis is skill and skating. Five days a week they did: 1.5hrs ice (2x per day), 1hr dryland, 1hr of skills (from shooting practice, stickhandling ball work, hockey/plyo combo work, etc.) and 1hr of hockey classrm theory (team systems, hi-perf nutrition, going the college route, going the Jr. route, etc.). Then, they played exhib games or tourneys on the weekend.

People would ask me "Was it worth it?" or "Do you see an improvement?" And, without being too biased in my reply and me saying 'Yeah, for that money, he better have !!" BUT I can honestly say I saw great improvements in his skating (edge use, balance, leg power, quickness); stickhandling (wrist strength, puck manoeverability, variousn puck movements away from his body; and shot (snap, slap, wrist in regards to overall speed, quickness/release, accuracy). In fact, I always considered more a puck mover vice shooter but it was like a different player. He can reeeeally shoot now.

So, worth it? Well, that's a relative term to me. Will he make NHL? Probably not but that's up to him really; not me now. Costly? Sure is. Would I recommend doing it (paying for it) for a player from his/her pee wee major year thru to his/her 1st or 2nd year of midget, sure would. But, back to the 'worth it' query, that's approx well over $100 000. Too rich for my blood. Factor in the other aspectds of lifeskill bldg, new friends, diff coaches, quality coaching, living away from home - all great stuff over and above the hockey deveopment.

Point is, I'd love to be able to see an experiment with two equal players say at the PW age and one go the normal route (we all do) and the other go thru 5 yrs of skill/skating development as offered by some of these academies. To me, there would be no comparison - no way, no how.

I know of a fellow highly respected coach who does an after school (predominantly) stickhandling only session once/twice a week. The results I have seen in this just can't be got in a typical practice. Myself included but you just don't spend 40 min on stickhandling moves and separation of the puck away from the body and the like. BUT, maybe we should !!

I'd have to agree with Tom, the practice to game ratio should be looked at and closely monitored. Off-ice training and non-game play activity is really important too.

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1