6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8204 times)  

Tom and anyone else,

Could you share info on how you run your dryland. For college age kids. What type of stuff you do and things you feel would be helpful.
Because of time restraints I can only do three one hour dryland sessions. Im running one and want to cross reference to make sure Im on the right path. I want to be organized and prepared. Any info would be appreciated thanks

Tom, where are you coaching this coming year?

PS Im still looking for a team warm up drill to start practices with. Something that uses multiple players and can run from both ends at same time

Hi,
We start with 15 to 20 minute warm up it includes; running 10 minutes, some coordination, agility and active flexibility drills. warm up is aerobic contioning. Then we start our main practice, if we want some aerobic and/or anaerobic work and team play we play floorball, basketball or soccer with themed rules or some with playbook theme. we do some weights 2 times/ week. allso we have speed and quickness practices they are usuallu some sets of sprints quite short 20m to 30m 4 x 4 and so on. we end every dryland practise with 15 minute cool-down with some runing coordination and skills drills.

- Kai

Kai

You guys sound pretty fortunate in that your roster can be amassed in enough numbers to have dryland sessions. We are lucky to get in two weekly on-ice practices. Dryland is done in smaller groups. As for a way to begin practice on the right foot, I just looked at one of Tom Molloy's videos in which he has guys pair up and skate the ice using 2 pucks. That beats the heck out of 'skating the lines' or 'shooting gallery' drills.

Some of the things we did with the college women's team.
http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080727114218920

This is a warm up to music. They love to yell loud.
http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080727114214965 is a boxercise work out.

http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080727130328111 is a core strength workout.

The only thing I have going for next year so far is 2 one hour skill sessions per week for a jr. high school. Maybe something else will turn up. Who knows.

Kai, it sounds like a good warm up. I think Finland is far ahead of most places.

In Austia last season the players would go on the bikes for about twenty minutes before going on the ice. The dryland practices were after the on ice and they did a lot of core exercises, speed bursts straight and hopping over hurdles. They also did the skating treadmill once a week. Every month they got in about 45 training sessions combining on and off ice.

Quote by: Tom

Kai, it sounds like a good warm up. I think Finland is far ahead of most places.

In Austia last season the players would go on the bikes for about twenty minutes before going on the ice. The dryland practices were after the on ice and they did a lot of core exercises, speed bursts straight and hopping over hurdles. They also did the skating treadmill once a week. Every month they got in about 45 training sessions combining on and off ice.

The beauty of it is that with every practice we get at least 30 min of aerobic training with our warm ups and cool downs.

- Kai

Kai

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1