15 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 18671 times)  

Tom,

Is the Whole-Part-Whole method of teaching still considered useful in certain aspects of athleticism?

Here I'm thinking about Puck Control, breaking movements down, then putting them together, then introducing pressure.

Thanks

Paulie, the whole, part, whole method is very valuable. The hockey world has misunderstood this mehtod and taught the whole Drill, part of the Drill and gone back to the whole Drill instead of placing it in a suitable game situation.

An example of whole part whole for teaching stick handling is something like this.

a. Have a SAG game where they are only allowed one pass and then must try to score. This causes them to have to beat people 1-1, 1-2. This creates a NEED TO KNOW.

B. Have them practice some stickhandling moves with no pressure and then passive 1-1.

C. Play the same game.

D. Progress thru the season with the same method and introduce various moves.

Look at the video of Jursivov teaching moves for ideas on practicing moves. Also the Russian Warm up.
Tom

Something that has worked in our practice sessions is a SAG with guys using the top hand only. It pretty much forces guys to roll their wrist properly. It was particularly helpful to players who have their dominant hand on the mid shaft. Old fashioned methods ( for us ancient players ) like practicing with a golf ball still work. One last thougth ~ if you have the guys use top hand only, try both blades on the ice in the same SAG. It promotes use of edges and use of correct stick handling. - Pops

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. That's the way I've been doing things these last seven years. Sometimes I get hooked up on the drill, but not too often. I strive to get 42 min of activity out of a 60 min practice and usually achieve it.

Pops,

Thanks for the input. I remember an old coach of mine telling me that the feet can control the puck on the stick. He was saying that skating is intrinsically tied up with effective stick-handling. A good reminder.

I'm starting a new Hockey school that stresses the methodology that Tom outlines. Most schools do a fair to excellent job of teaching skills, but don't contextualize them. Players are wonderfully skilled, but lack game understanding--mainly because game thinking is rarely taught, both at the school and team level.

We're starting this fall with a try-out prep camp we call "Game Ready". Check out our web site at www.theedgesports.ca

You will, no doubt, recognize much of the language. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paulie

Paulie your site looks good. In Calgary we have a private sports school called the Edge School for Athletes. Brent Devost started with a vision and 7 kid's in a rented classroom. They just completed building 2 rinks, a big fieldhouse and a school located a few miles west of Calgary. It is not just for hockey but for many sports.

Good luck with your camps.

Tom,

If we manage to be somewhat successful down the road, maybe we can have you come out and run a week long camp.

PEI in the summer is the place to be!

Thanks for all your help over the years.

nice web site, Paulie. I wish you all the best with your initiative. Since you are clearly an advocate of The ABC's, may I ask a question ? What is your overall take on Hockey Canada ? I love their videos but found their printed materials to be a bit wordy and without good direction. What is their impact on the coaching world in PEI ?

Pops,

1. Thanks for the best wishes.
2. My take on Hockey Canada is that they do a fine job "initiating" youngsters to the game, and a tremendous job at the elite U17 and U18 levels.
However, these intervening years, novice through midget, are poorly managed and directed. Hockey Canada has very little influence during these most critical developmental years. I could really go on at length about this, but prefer not to. The only thing I'll say here is that I've learned much more about this great game from other sources than I have from Hockey Canada! That is shameful.
3. Not sure what you mean by Hockey Canada Video"s and printed material.
4. Hockey Canada's effect on PEI. Sorry to say: we produce some wonderful hockey players in spite of Hockey Canada.

Pops,
Sorry to be so negative, but with a population of about 145,000 in a small area, Hockey Canada should be far more efficient!

Maybe guys like you, Tom, and myself are Hockey Canada. Is that a strength or a weakness?

Two comments to make on this thread....

1. Tom is somewhat correct in that many people misunderstand the Whole-Part-Whole teaching approach. The misunderstanding though is that people use to teach drills with it. It is not an approach to teaching drills...as illustrated with Tom's example.
Whole-Part-Whole is a teaching approach or methodolgy for teaching skills...specific skills.
The exampls of the SAG being "taught" then broken into individula drills and then put back together into a SAG is not exactly hitting the mark...sorry.

2. Paulie your point about Hockey Canada's lack of impact at the intervening years could not be more bang on. I have been saying it for years. And I feel their short comings go beyond that.
I live on the internet and spend hours locating hockey resources from arounf the world. You know which site and organization is one of the worst for making such things available? That's right Hockey Canada.
Go to Hockey USA and you can find and download all their coaching manuals, practice plan manuals, skill development curriculums, etc, etc...all for free. In Canada we have to pay for this stuff and good luck finding them on their site for download.
I spent 10 months emailing and emailing trying to have them send me the Hockey Canada suggested teaching curriculum for each level we offer. 10 months!!! Only to then have them tell me that I had to order their CD and pay for it because all that info was on the CD.
Go read the Hockey Canada Development Model. All it talks about is the elite level of player and their development progress path through Midget and into Junior. Tell me what the development model says about the development path of players at Atom, Peewee, Novice...nothing.
My biggest complaint about Hockey Canada is that they devote way to much energy and resource to making sure that we dominate the world internationally. And it takes a series of losses at the World Jrs before the powers that be stand up and say "we need to look at how we do things".

Quote by: TomM

Look at the video of Jursivov teaching moves for ideas on practicing moves. Also the Russian Warm up.
Tom

The Yashin Russian Warm up? Or a different one?

http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20090427151438223 is the link. It is in the video section under puck handling and about the fourth one. Russian coach teached midget and jr players moves.

The video features the IIHF hall of fame Jursinov leading a sequence of moves.

Check out the U6 Czech practices on you tube. Fabulous.

Just punch in U6 Czech in the search area.

new posting on forecheck replaces this.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Quote by: Paulie

Check out the U6 Czech practices on you tube. Fabulous.

Just punch in U6 Czech in the search area.

[url]

These videos are great. I will include them in the next Minnesota Hockey Coaches Enewsletter in September.

excited

Hal,

I enjoy your insights via the Let's Play Hockey site. I'd love to know what other resources you provide.

Thanks.

15 posts :: Page 1 of 1