6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6013 times)  

Just thought I'd point out a nice feature on the Red Bulls team that NHL.com has today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514279

Tom, is this the team in your videos?

Dman, thanks for the link. That is the team in many of the video's I have posted. Page said it was ok to take them. I find it easier to remember drills and games when I can watch them.

Ryan Duncan who won the Hobey Baker is playing in Salzburg and is their second top scorer. Him and Mason Raymond are in some to the transition games video's from when they were 12. they are both tiny but Mason grew to 6' and Ryan is 5'6" 142 lbs. but a great player.

I was there by myself all last season and told them I couldn't do it anymore with my family here.

Pierre runs a very good program there.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks Tom,

I figured that was the team but wasn't sure if the level was the same.

That must have been quite a valuable learning experience, and it's really nice to see the coaching and practices that go on at that level. I've definitely learned a lot from watching the videos...the pace and flow of the drills is impressive.

I take it they play the Torpedo system that you explain in other sections? I would love to try it but I'm afraid to make the jump with the inexperienced players I have right now. There coming along in learning the game, but every once in a while a new concept is introduced and you can smell the smoke coming out of their ears. Your books have helped me a lot to explain the concepts in simple black and white terms though.

Anyone have any experience implementing the Torpedo system at the lower (non-pro) level? I'd love to hear the results.

Thanks again for all the work on the site.

DMan

Dman, what Pierre Page did was after he got fired from the NHL the last time he took a year to travel around the hockey world and watch all of the most successful teams. He then took what he considered the best features and combined them into his own system.

Basic premise is that it takes 4 players to score now. Defenses are too good for just 3 attackers to penetrate. He takes the Dzone coverage that most NHL teams use the nzone attack from European teams and the forecheck is a hybrid of the torpedo and left wing lock.

Always 4 players attack and one supports from the point. The RD is part of the 3 man cycle on the right while the LW stays high but constantly back doors and one the other side all 3 F's cycle and the RD stays back but will back door all the time or be a high mid slot option.

The idea is that if you have 4 in then they have to have 4 covering them or one player is wide open. If the LD is part of the attack then the last one up ice has point responsibility.

it is very exciting hockey to watch and they have one 3 tournaments this season vs the top teams in Europe.

Imports each year are different so it takes about half a season for them to get used to playing this high tempo game.

A team like the Flames with their great D would excel with this style instead of having gifted offensive players playing like defensive defensemen. But most NHL teams are very conservative. Detroit and San Jose activate their D and it really pays off.

When you look at the forecheck practices in the videos watch how 4 are on the attack.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Dman, I use the defend attack breakout game with a variation to encourage the defense to joing the play.

Last night we had 12 skaters so it was a 2 on 2. When they attack on of the supporting D joins the rush between the high slot and the hash.

If I had more players we could have done 3-3 but I only have 13 skaters on my team. So everything is downsized or they would get too tired to move.

So in the diagram #3 would skate into the mid slot on the rush. You could do things like have them stay in on the cycle. The whole key is they have to recognize a turnover is going to happen and backcheck through the middle like snake snot.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks for the info on the Redbulls Tom. It'll take me a little while to process how all that works, but that's why the videos are so helpful along with the drill diagrams.

I've started using transition games in my practices and I love them. We haven't focused on activating the D yet, but we are moving in that direction. That's what is really nice....once the kids get used to the format it's a simple change here and there to emphasise something different.

Count me in for a donation on your trip....though I wish I was going there myself.

Thanks again,
DMan

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1