9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8778 times)  

Have been awaiting others to post a little on this topic but have not seen anything.

Nothing to me was more evident of the difference in countries style then when the US vs. Canada was followed up by Sweden vs. Finland.

I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the different styles and/or systems that you noticed.

I for one really liked the effectiveness of the Swiss PK forecheck. They lined up three guys at the blueline and had one man back behind them. The three held the blueline and were to force a dump with the man backs job being to clear it. Was very effective in the games I saw.

It is exciting seeing something different from the usual NHL systems.

It looked to me like Russia started to run a 2-2-1 in their game against Canada once the score started to get out of hand.. Too little too late though, I think.

And good point about the Swiss PK. I remember one PP where I don't think the US even got set up in the zone.

Quote by: Eric

Have been awaiting others to post a little on this topic but have not seen anything.

Nothing to me was more evident of the difference in countries style then when the US vs. Canada was followed up by Sweden vs. Finland. .

I'll give full credit for swedes against us finns but that horrible nightmare had nothing to do with the way finns usually play hockey. Finns gave the control to sweden who like to keep the puck and slow things down and pass the puck around. Finns got some of their game speed back in quarterfinal.

Kai

Should be 2 good emi finals. Finns have a medal in every Olympics so far since NHL started playing there.

Best 2 goalies in the USA-Finland game, best overall team in Canada and big stars play for Slovakia who beat Russia and Sweden.

I feel bad for Kipper. But USA way better then we are. they have amazing game speed.

Kai, the Finns made a great comeback on Saturday. Too bad the Flames got rid of Jokinen. A medal in every Olympics that the NHL played in is a terrific record.

Canad - USA was also a great game. Quick release by Crosby fooled Miller.

The game I really enjoyed was Canada - Russia. I think it may have been between the two best teams ever assembled.

There are a lot of great hockey countries.

I hope they keep the women in the Olympic hockey. I saw Canada-Sweden a few times in the summer and the scored were in the 7-3, 5-2 range. Countries like Switzerland, Slovakia, Russia are developing female players and it will kill all funding if the Olympic committee cancels women's hockey. Russia used to dominate in figure skating, Austria in skiing, Netherlands in speed skating. It takes time for other countries to get their programs to be able to compete but they do catch up when given the time and they will drop programs if there are no Olympics to go to.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Great Can vs US game for all the obvious reasons. Got to give credit to the US team though. Came in as underdogs and showed very well.

The Swiss vs Can (mens) game was a treat to watch I thought. The Swiss team plays very well. Quick on the puck and the forecheck. D jumped up into the play to attack with 4 which made things uneasy for the Can's.

Really would be too bad if the IOC pulls the plug on the womens hockey. As Tom stated, this takes time to develop and if this is done, what funding the other countries DO have will more than likely be diminished ... maybe even Canada's.

Tom - what was your take on the Russia vs Can game? Any comments to how the Russians played vs. how they should have played? My take was that Canada displayed that all to elusive tangible that almost all other countries don't have ... at least as much ... and that's that heart, desire and controlled emotion. Add to that the game is played in Canada, just was too much for the Russians and they were not prepared to battle as hard as Canada.

Food for thought:

How would the men's results have changed (if at all) on Olympic sized ice? I was disappointed to see the games played on the NHL sized sheet. More and more US college teams are switching to Olympic sheets and the game is more enjoyable to watch in my opinion. On the NHL sheet it gets boring after a while watching 3 on 3 along the boards, in the corner (with a ref there too) and all guys the size of Chris Pronger. There's just no room to move.

I realise puck protection is a valuable skill, but is this really what promotes the game best? US / Canda was a great final (or finals) though, and the endings couldn't have been scripted better. Congrats to all you Canucks!

Coach P7 I think that day every player on Canada had the game of their lives. No one took a shift off or made a lazy play. The Russian stars were double teamed all the time with the D playing tight gaps and hard back pressure from the forwards.

I don't think the Russians played poorly or could have done anything else on that particular day. If they played today it could be a defferent result but on that day the Canadian team wasn't going to be denied.

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1