6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6714 times)  

I am copying the 2,148 files onto a 16 GB thumb drive to send to a coach in the USA. It is the first coach to donate since the start of December 2011.

I would have loved to have information like this when I started coaching hockey. There is enough material there for anyone coaching from beginner to pro.

Being a PE teacher I had to coach many sports that I didn't have much knowledge about. i.e. girl's gymnastics, wrestling, basketball, etc. I basically had intro courses to them but there is nothing like playing the game yourself. I would look for books, videos etc. but the resources were scarce.

The original thumb drive was 8 GB but one more year of the daily drill has it up to near 12 GB and a 8 GB drive won't hold it all. I don't know if any other sport has a resource like this. It is basically all the material on this ABC site plus a lot not posted here. A big benefit is you don't need to be hooked to the internet to access material.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

I'm so happy that I found this coaching resource! Just in the files that are still availble on the site, there is a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for taking the time and having the passion to make a resource like this available. Our players deserve it.

Looking forward to checking out everything on the drive. It should keep me busy! Smile

Dave
------------------------------------------------------
Dave, I mailed it this afternoon. Let me know when it gets there.

Hey Tom,

The Flash Drive and Book 2 came today! I'm so excited. There is so much info here. Thank you!

For others out there. If you enjoy the resources on this site, I would encourage you to check out the Flash Drive. You won't be disappointed.

Dave
-------------------------------------------
Dave, I am glad the book and Flash Drive got there. At least 1000 hours of work went into it.

The whole point is to coach the GAME of Hockey in a Natural Way Hockey rinks aren't military drill areas but are places for players to learn the skills and how to apply them in a game like setting vs. opponents as much as possible. That is why this site is here and why I am trying to help guys/girls who volunteer for a team and then say "What do I do with these kid's now." For advanced coaches it is to introduce the idea of using games and transition games as natural extensions of the drills they use (drills are improtant to introduce technique and learn to do things at full speed but they have limited capacity to teach a player to read the game, to play with teammates, to be creative.)

I have said it many times and will say it again. I took 4 years of French and can't speak it and only know some vocabulary (most subjects were memorize and regurgitate) because they were taught in a Drill and Practice Model. No conversations; just memorize. This drill and practice model was revamped in the late 60's and replaced with experiential models that stressed Whole Learning. (now in French class they actually speak with one another)

We need to do the same thing in Hockey and other sports.

It is important to read the coaching manual because everything on the drive is organized according to the ABC book. The drive is a living extension of the book.
Tom

Dave, how do you like the Flash Drive now that you have had it a few days.

You can continually update it by copying the videos, diagrams and pdf's as I post them in Daily Drill. And at

http://hockeycoach.com/groups/hockeydrills

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Loved mine when I donated and still use the material. Thanks for everything you and the other coaches do for this site

Chatty

Love it! Tons of great stuff there. I'm also really enjoying the book. I'm coaching a high school JV team next season, and I'm really looking forward to using more transition games in our practices. There is so much info there, I've just been sifting through it all to get familiar with things I'd like to use. I saw the Tsunami in there btw, looks very interesting! Between the book and all the supplemental info on the flash drive ... I'm going to have a fun summer. Big Grin

Dave

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1