7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8090 times)  

Hey everyone.

I stumbled across this site in a Google search for hockey coaching. After browsing through it I decided to sign up. What a ton of great information.
A bit about myself- I am just a baby as far as coaching goes. I have been an assistant coach of my daughters Timbit team in Calgary for two years. I loved every minute of it, and want to continue coaching as she progresses through the divisions. This spring she joined a prestigous team and I volunteered to head coach for it. Needless to say that I am a little nervous about it. Here is why- I never played hockey. No, that's not quite true. I played 13 games. All last year (I was 37 years old) in a rec league. I discovered I am not very good at it. LOL I never had the opportunity to play as a kid. But I still have loved the game since I was able to walk.

Also this past November, I became the head coach for the Calgary Scorpions. They are the Senior B division Sledge Hockey team in Calgary. When I came on board with them, they played chase the puck. No wins all season, with only one goal. After 3 months of hard work, we went on to win the Western Canada Sledge Hockey Tournament. These guys have passion, they just needed some guidance.

If plan to take my coaching further,which I do, I need lots of help, and this sure looks like the place to get it.

Welcome to the site Sledgey. Join in on the discussions and ask questions. Coaches from all over the world come here and are willing to share their ideas and discuss hockey and coaching topics.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Welcome Sledgey! This is a great site to learn about coaching.

I am also a Calgarian; I have been working at the Timbit level with a friend's team in Simon's Valley this year, and will become more active with my own kids when they turn 5, so I am sure we can compare notes at some point.

Mike Mondin, the head coach of Canada's Sledge team, is a former U17 Team BC A/C of mine and a long-time friend. I went to watch his team play here in Calgary prior to the World Junior's and had a nice visit. I heard his squad will play for Bronze this weekend. I took my boy to watch sledge hockey and he loved it! I hope to get him out to some more. Let me know when the games are as Winsport is 5 minutes from my house.

Cheers!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Hockeygod,

Timbits is awesome!! We are with Mcknight, just south of you.

I was volunteering at the World Sledge Challenge last year and breifly met Mike. Very nice guy. That is where I met the Scorpions and got hooked up with the team to coach them.
We are all done our formal practices this year, but we are going to line up some ice times to use over the summer. I will keep you posted as to when we get them.

Sounds good Sledgey! Just let me know - shoot me an email. Always willing to get together to talk hockey.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Sledgy another resource you can use is the drills section in http://hockeycoach.com . I post the drills there after I post them here. I just finished number 400 now. The two sites work together and it has a easy format to look at drills and games.

http://hockeycoach.com/group/hockeydrills/forum

There is also opportunities to set up mentoring or get mentoring for coaching or fitness.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Sledgy, here is a link to a few diagrams (600 or so). It is a quick way to scan the drills and games as they are organized with our coding system of ABCDEFG - DT - T which makes it a lot easier to find drills on;

A - individual skills and skating.
B - partner skills.
C - game situation skills where you are trying to score vs. an opponent.
DT - Transition games which take the C game situations and turn them into games using one puck where you must play both offense and defense. (this is where most practices are lacking at both the youth and pro levels.)
D - games for skill and team play.
E - shootouts and contests.
F - fitness focused activities.
G - goaltending
T - coach directed team play activities (mostly for the highter levels.)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=bd6fa116988317e9&resid=BD6FA116988317E9!1572&parid=BD6FA116988317E9!111&authkey=!0zcS*QHOe24%24

You can scan them by putting the cursor over them and the title is there. Most are written up with pdf's on this site and over half have video demonstrations. To find them on the site, use the search function at the top of the homepage.

The last one is a practice planning template that is a Word document. TCW Practice outline. You can insert any diagram over the empty diagram to design a practice plan and then Save As whatever you call it and the original template will stay intact. I will post a pdf example.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1