5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5083 times)  

Hi Tom
Just got invited to coach a group of U 21 women for a 2 week trip to Sweden and Czech Rep. I have never coached Womens hockey before ( only Bantam / midget aa /aaa ) . I do have a 23 year old daughter , so have little idea what I might be in for . Are there any differences coaching women ? Advice is welcome

SMAC,

Not sure of the 'level' of play you will be coaching (how serious is it? Is it hockey first or a cultural experience first? These girls may be old enough to drink alcohol too; especially given Europe's lax laws, so you might consider having the team craft a Team Covenant prior to going. Address the reasons going, 'what if's', etc. so you and the coaches / manager / team support staff are prepared. As coach, it will be up to you to hold people accountable to their covenant. Tom has mentioned covenant's on here so do a search if you are looking for one. I think Tom refers to Bob Murdoch's covenant.)

When I first coached university women, I read a book that was recommended to me - "Catch Them Being Good: Everything You Need to Know to Successfully Coach Girls" by Tony Dicicco - and I found it very beneficial. My first year, the team was very social and winning was not even a discussion topic - more of a rec hockey team. I helped gradually shape the culture (at least, where I thought a team participating at that level of play should strive toward...!) over three years by additional and subtraction of personnel and expectations such that it started to take on the dynamic of a more competitive team; thus the covenant and standards evolved to fit the scenario.

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Them-Being-Good-Successfully/dp/0142003352/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337751722&sr=1-1

"This guide to coaching female athletes of all ages shows how to build a team and provides invaluable advice on the differences between coaching males and females. The authors include exercises that foster teamwork and develop essential skills. They also answer parents' most common questions, such as how to tell if the coach is doing a good job and what to do if a child wants to quit. Filled with stories about the Olympic and World Cup championship teams, this useful handbook is infused throughout with DiCicco's philosophy that at every level playing soccer (or any sport) is about "playing hard, playing fair, playing to win, and having fun.""

At the end of the day, they WANTED to be treated like athletes. Hold them accountable; be firm but fair. Don't fall for the female batting her eyelashes trying to manipulate you into getting something 'she' wants. You need to forget about the "Me male / you female" thing and embrace them as athletes / people... doesn't matter the gender. (I have a two year old daughter and I can already see her playing the 'daddy' card Wink to try to get her way... devious little darling girl...!)

Be prepared to be able to justify your actions / decisions / lesson plans in advance. They will question your decisions publicly (and privately) where most guys just do what they are told.

Women were more social and needed to deal with their feelings and those of their teammates; unlike guys who could argue / fight and then move on by the next day.

Female athletes of this age are pretty perceptive and 'feel' your energy - for better or for worse. They absolutely benefit by being inspired rather than intimidated / threatened.
(Guys do too, but it seems people think they can get away with this stuff moreso with guys.)

After coaching both genders at university, when I looked back, I preferred coaching women. I had a lot less issues with the girls once I understood them as athletes first!

I hope this helps.

PS Let me know if you need a mentor coach for the trip!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

SMAC, it sounds like a fun challenge. Are you playing in the annual Czech Tournament? I took my college women's team to Finland - Sweden after Christmas in 05-06 and we had a great time.

First have an itinerary so everyone knows what they are doing each day. Make sure they understand the differences in electical plug ins so they don't ruin their hair dryers etc. Things like computers can usually plug right in but most North American appliances only use 110 and Europe in on 220-240, so you need an adapter to convert and then plug into that. (I mention this because many of my players blew their appliances on that trip)

Lots of places rent bikes and it is a great way to see more in a short time. Enjoy the outdoor cafes etc. It is a nice part of the culture.

Have a team covenant that deals with behaviour on game days and off days etc. To avoid problems keep the team together for social activities but have fun.

In a short time frame like you have it may be wise to put together a cheat sheet like was posted the other day. One for offense in each zone, one for defense and one for loose puck. The important points according to the systems you want them to play.

Training sessions need to be all business. Be on time for ice and dryland and focused while there. Treat them like athletes and be sure to clarify why you are doing specific drills and games.

I make a point of meeting with each player while travelling on a bus or plane to find out their thoughts and clarify any confusion.

It sounds like an opportunity for a great cultural and hockey experience.. You are going to two great countries.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks guys for the information - very helpful ! Dean, like those encouraging words about coaching women . Watch your daughter , didn't take long to get me wrapped around mine . She's 23 now and still !!!!

Don't know the level of players , would seem to me it will be a mix . It;s a tour totally organized with itinerary . Covenant is a very good idea to get everyone on same page .

Dean ,I would gladly have you as a mentor coach .

Quote by: SMAC

Dean, I would gladly have you as a mentor coach.

Just shoot me an email so I can plan my itinerary and book my flights!!!!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1