12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 12489 times)  

I am fired up. I just watched the Flames prospects practice. It is draft choices, free agents and minor league players practicing in two groups. Here is what I saw.

Two colours only with half the F and half the D in one colour. Exception is when they put the joker in a black jersey.

Drills were allowed to conclude naturally.i.e a goal, frozen puck or the D passed to the coach.

Cross ice games.
Game one transition game with passive support and teammates joining attack.
Game two-2-2 but allowed to shoot on either net.

One zone games at each end.

Full ice one puck transition games.
Game one; 2-2 with active support then the rule added to regroup on a whistle and continue.
Game two continuous 3-2 with passisve support. One puck only.

2-2 regroup with the joker when you regain the puck and the joker moves around but must stay below the dots.

GREAT ABC PRACTICE FLAMES

Dean was there as well and I agree that keeping score and keeping track of who scores and assists would help in evaluation.

Great to see them join the 21st Century.

I did a 30 min. Video that I will post when it is ready. I am so happy to have someone else run a gamelike pracitice. I told Craig Conroy when he came off the ice to compliment the coach on the best Flames ice session I have ever watched.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I went to practice this morning after Tom called me to say he was excited to see some transition drills and games in an NHL prospects practice. I agree this is a step in the right direction but they still have a long ways to go - IMO it could get a lot better yet! But for an NHL team to do lots of 1 puck drills, it is a start!

Long story, but briefly, John and I spent several hours talking to Marty Gelinas over the past two months, showing him the importance around the concept of transition and introducing him to some of the introductory concepts up to some of the more advanced games we do at Sport IQ (www.GetSportIQ.com) through our skill academies and private instruction. Marty came out to watch and was very impressed. He was taking these ideas forward to Nashville prior to his hiring with Calgary, so it was nice to see the transmission of these basic ideas onto the ice. None of our advanced games made the cut at this practice - who knows if they will later on?

It is a good start - I would have liked the 'game to dictate the game' more as the coach still 'controlled' the drills with a whistle (one drill that had a regroup on the whistle seemed to be a purposeless addition and slowed the drill down too much) and there didn't appear to be any score kept / accountability - but at least they used different coloured jersey's and had red play white (black were jokers); so they were showing some organization.

The drills didn't last long enough, either. Too much talking by the coach and standing in line. Most drills seemed to last only about 3 - 6 minutes. Pro guys still have the fast-food mentality that each drill has to be short and sweet - so that players don't get enough reps. When you don't keep score, I guess you need to change the drills often to prevent the guys from getting bored? Once you add the element of competition and keep score (there are lots of Flames people around to keep score, who scores against who, +/-, etc.) then you have a true evaluation camp and would have stats to help see who is actually doing what...

My definition of a Player Development Camp is to introduce younger players to what it is like to COMPETE against other high-end competition and see where they stand in relation to the others - not skate patterned drills or do line rushes (even if they are 1 puck drills - where is the score and accountability? By putting people under pressure to compete, that is where you see their true nature / character. Do they rise up or crumble or disappear?) Using games (with a score and accountability) is the best way to see how people perform in a game. I will try to watch some more this week if I have time.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

I love the idea of keeping score and accountability . These are to be used in SAGS only ? How do you work it in 1 on 1 's 2 on 1's etc.
my practice his weekend i had the girls finish the "play " by scoring or goalie freezing the puck ( don't quit on the puck ) in d to fwds 3 shot drills . I guess you could do these in 1 on 1 , 2 on1 , 3 on 2 as well , just have to let other players wait until the play is finished instead of "flow " ?

I attended most of the Oilers prospects camp last week . No such luck with those type of drills . Lots of flow and shooting . Fwd, Goalie , ,D man ,skating specific drills . No SAGS that I saw . They did end the week with a 3 on 3 tourney

Posting with my iphone so harder to write if u r over19. I posted 30 min of video of the practices and the link is in the pro practice section. they just had a 5-5 scrimmage with two 25 min straight periods and kept score.

I will edit it later. I am leaving this arena and going to one 5 minutes away to play.

Here is the video with clips from the two ice sessions. It is 30 minutes long.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20120710152604109

I thought it was a very good practice.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I attended the Flyers prospect camp today. All drills. Defense and forwards on the ice separately. Goalies worked by themselves on their own sheet of ice.

Junior

Quote by: SMAC

I love the idea of keeping score and accountability . These are to be used in SAGS only ? How do you work it in 1 on 1 's 2 on 1's etc.
my practice his weekend i had the girls finish the "play " by scoring or goalie freezing the puck ( don't quit on the puck ) in d to fwds 3 shot drills . I guess you could do these in 1 on 1 , 2 on1 , 3 on 2 as well , just have to let other players wait until the play is finished instead of "flow " ?

Steve,

I always try to keep score: by individual (who scores and on who); or by team (put them in colours). This goes for all the games, SAGS, warmups, shootouts, etc. You can use 'time' as a scoring factor to help increase competition too!

Scoring heightens intensity and implicit learning (due to the increased focus from everyone) - then you add in accountability and - WHAMMO - we got ourselves a top-notch culture... one gigantic step closer to establishing what you want in the environment!

For 1 vs 1 / 2 vs 1, etc. you can count the number of scoring chances, shots on net, goals, etc for offense. You can count the opposite on defence (scoring chances prevented / denied, shots blocked, times the puck is cleared out of the D zone, etc.) Details can be a pain in the ass, but attention to them separates spectator coaches from GREAT coaches! At the end of the day, it is about scoring... or not scoring. This helps keep it simple!

Good call to have your girls 'finish' the play. (The Flames had the D make a pass to the coach in their own DZ to 'stop' that rush and initiate the next rush - good decision.) Play till a whistle - just like in a game.

Let the game dictate the 'flow' and tell the coach to stuff his whistle in his... back pocket! If it takes five minutes (or more) to score, be patient. We did one game this year that took the kids 12 minutes before someone scored. The other kids on the bench were getting ancy (rightfully so) but once that first goal and transition happened, we were off to the races and it flowed very well. One of the teachers wanted us to blow it down and change everyone 1 minute into the process! You just have to have trust in your game and belief in the process... it was a great learning experience for that teacher AND the kids - it was important to debrief at the end and guide the discussion where we wanted it to go. Everyone understood the process much better after 'living' this situation. After this, other times where there was a long time before a change, the kids and teacher understood and were much more patient.

Often the first few reps take longer, then people get tired, make mistakes and then it really picks up! However, if you find there are a lot of lengthy delays, figure out how you can modify the game (add or subtract restrictions / modify the 'Rules of Engagement') to help increase the pace. This might mean taking away or adding ice / players / rules. Experiment (with a purpose in mind) and have fun!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: SMAC

I attended most of the Oilers prospects camp last week . No such luck with those type of drills . Lots of flow and shooting . Fwd, Goalie , ,D man ,skating specific drills . No SAGS that I saw . They did end the week with a 3 on 3 tourney

Quote by: trtaylor

I attended the Flyers prospect camp today. All drills. Defense and forwards on the ice separately. Goalies worked by themselves on their own sheet of ice.

Unfortunately, what you and trtayler saw in Philly are representations of the EVIL drill manifestation in hockey. It is old school coaching that prevails. But I am doing my best to change that...!!!

It is sad to see people become victims of the 'cycle of coaching abuse' - they are coaching / teaching how they were coached / taught and because pro hockey is so insular (people are scared to ask for help at that level because they are supposed to be 'the best' coaches in the highest league in the world; their egos don't allow them to ask for help and many might cover this up with appearing to be aloof or close-minded), and change is a dirty word. People fear change. People don't put up their hands in a group because they don't want to appear to be 'stupid' or 'slow'...

We need more progressive thinkers at the top and in Hockey Canada / Hockey USA so we can stop this cycle and start changing certification courses for the better.

John the Colombian and I have started a "Knights of the Coaching Round Table"program to help provide Invasion Sport coaches with a solid grounding in personal philosophy, a deeper understanding about the principles of the game, and ongoing mentorship. Currently we are working locally but will be expanding this into a distance education program. Email me if you, or anyone else, are interested in hearing more.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean, now the challenge to you.

How would you have run the ice times. There are 39 skaters and about 6 goalies and they have two ice times in the morning and one together in the afternoon.

I watched the afternoon scrimmage and they can all skate and handle the puck but the Swiss player Baertschi was by far the best. The #1 pick Jankowski is only 17 and 6'3" 170 lbs. He was really good when the puck was on his stick and also found open ice without it. Reminds me of Nugent-Hopkins. Not a clue how to angle or check but he has only played high school hockey and probably had the puck all the time there.

Some players were creative but not many. One defenseman had the scrimmage from hell and gave the puck away 8 of the first ten times he touched it. Gnerallly not much close support or creating 2-1's.

Horak, Rheinhart, Grandlund, Gaudreau, House, #72 and a few others were the best and most creative. The group tends to play the game backwards. I.e. Skate wide and pass into the middle where there is no room instead of skate to the big ice and pass wide.

I am going to go watch again today but won't be able to the next two days as I give private lessons in the morning.

If you look at the video section with pro practices the next one is a pre game skate that Detroit did. It was a good session and the next few videos are examples from the prospects camp a few years ago. Even though a lot of the drills were very good it was more like a hockey school with skill stations and drills under no or little pressure. I am sure the players that were there didn't need that kind of instruction. They all would have gone to many hockey schools and camps growing up. So comparing those practices with the one yesterday is a giant step forward.

I personally would have used a lot of the same games but kept track of scoring and give aways and run it like a tournament and then continue the standings the rest of the week. At the end of the camp you would know who was making the plays and who was managing the puck.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

As pumped as I was yesterday about the productive and competitive practice the prospects did yesterday - I am disappointed today. A different coach ran the practice and did a whole bunch of flow type drills that in themselves were ok but to do one after the other of basically warm up drills with robotic repittion was non productive and I don't see how it followed the posted theme of one puck drills and competition so the team could evaluate 'Game Sense' which they say they are looking for. The American league coach ran the last exercise and it was a one zone game.

I will post the practice and you can compare one day to the next.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=2012071112422387

I would like to read coaches opinions on how you could make this session into a more realistic and productive ice session by adding tasks, i.e. after shooting defend the next rush or shoot til you score or covert the drill to a transition game and use only one puck.

The Drill and Practice model was thrown out of educational systems in the 60's. When will hockey coaching convert to Whole Learning.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Quote by: TomM

Dean, now the challenge to you.

How would you have run the ice times. There are 39 skaters and about 6 goalies and they have two ice times in the morning and one together in the afternoon.

If you look at the video section with pro practices the next one is a pre game skate that Detroit did. It was a good session and the next few videos are examples from the prospects camp a few years ago. Even though a lot of the drills were very good it was more like a hockey school with skill stations and drills under no or little pressure. I am sure the players that were there didn't need that kind of instruction. They all would have gone to many hockey schools and camps growing up. So comparing those practices with the one yesterday is a giant step forward.

I personally would have used a lot of the same games but kept track of scoring and give aways and run it like a tournament and then continue the standings the rest of the week. At the end of the camp you would know who was making the plays and who was managing the puck.

Quote by: TomM

As pumped as I was yesterday about the productive and competitive practice the prospects did yesterday - I am disappointed today. A different coach ran the practice and did a whole bunch of flow type drills that in themselves were ok but to do one after the other of basically warm up drills with robotic repittion was non productive and I don't see how it followed the posted theme of one puck drills and competition so the team could evaluate 'Game Sense' which they say they are looking for. The American league coach ran the last exercise and it was a one zone game.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=2012071112422387

I would like to read coaches opinions on how you could make this session into a more realistic and productive ice session by adding tasks, i.e. after shooting defend the next rush or shoot til you score or covert the drill to a transition game and use only one puck.

The Drill and Practice model was thrown out of educational systems in the 60's. When will hockey coaching convert to Whole Learning.

Tom, I will post how I would run the camp as soon as I have time. It's 'daddy daycare' time for the summer so I have to pick my spots...

But I agree with your comments about why run a hockey school at this level? Skills are important - most of these guys hire a skills coach in the off season - but nobody 'at the top' seems to know how to train Hockey Sense. I do and that is what I would focus on during this 'development camp'.

I will provide my outline of how I would have run this camp later.

I feel strongly that without designing situations / games where you can track some stats - the very least scoring (winning vs. losing) and holding players accountable - then it is time well WASTED!

And yes, what a big step backwards today with the session. More EVIL DRILLS with seemingly little purpose, no scoring stats, no accountability, little evaluation use, and worse of all - very little transferability to the game!

I couldn't believe how much time they spent at the board, or stopping the 'drills' for corrections and how little time they spent 'doing'. B-O-R-I-N-G! Shouldn't they be trying to maximize the players reps to learn? Don't players learn through both making mistakes and by doing it right? So why stop it when they do it wrong?

When we will learn that you must train under game-like conditions to compete in a game?

Probably around the same time we throw out the Drill and Practice model and adapt the Game Sense model! So... what decade will this happen? Will I still be alive then?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I am combining a few postings here. The first is What Is Hockey? What happens in a game should determine how we prepare players during practice. I then compare the on ice practices of two pro coaches at an NHL prospect camp. One uses the ABC method of drills, games, transition games and the other simply goes from one drill to the other.

Which is more effective, more enjoyable, more game like?
----------------------------
What is Hockey?
This is an article about what actually happens in a game and how we need to duplicate it in practice to develop players who can Play Hockey.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=506
------------------------------------
Comparison of Juuso’s ABC model of practice as opposed to the Drill Model.

I posted this about two Flames Prospect Camp practices. The first was identical to the kind of practice Juuso or I would run and the second was a different coach who simply went from one drill to the other.

I am fired up. I just watched the Flames prospects practice. It is draft choices, free agents and minor league players practicing in two groups. Here is what I saw.

Two colours only with half the F and half the D in one colour. Exception is when they put the joker in a black jersey.

Drills were allowed to conclude naturally.i.e a goal, frozen puck or the D passed to the coach.

Cross ice games.
Game one transition game with passive support and teammates joining attack.
Game two-2-2 but allowed to shoot on either net.

One zone games at each end.

Full ice one puck transition games.
Game one; 2-2 with active support then the rule added to regroup on a whistle and continue.
Game two continuous 3-2 with passisve support. One puck only.

2-2 regroup with the joker when you regain the puck and the joker moves around but must stay below the dots.

Here is the video of the ABC style practice. It is 30 minutes long.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20120710152604109

GREAT ABC PRACTICE FLAMES
-------------------------------------
This is the comment and link to the second practice using the Drills Model.

As pumped as I was yesterday about the productive and competitive practice the prospects did yesterday - I am disappointed today. A different coach ran the practice and did a whole bunch of flow type drills that in themselves were ok but to do one after the other of basically warm up drills with robotic repetition was non productive and I don't see how it followed the posted theme of one puck drills and competition so the team could evaluate 'Game Sense' which they say they are looking for. The American league coach ran the last exercise and it was a one zone game.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
12 posts :: Page 1 of 1