5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5982 times)  

Over the years players are taught to shoot off their outside foot but elite players only shoot off the outside foot on one timers or slap shots. I understand that learning proper weight transfer is easier to teach having the players shoot off the outside foot in the projection sequence that physical education teachers are shown: 1-wind up, 2-force production, 3-crucial instance, 4-follow through. They are also taught to start at the heel and release in the middle of the blade.

Shooting off the outside foot requires a glide and it takes longer to get the shot away.

When do you think players should start practicing shooting off the inside foot while moving?

I took a video of pro prospects warming up and shooting as they skate around the ice before practice. You will notice they shoot off the inside foot and from the middle to the front end of the blade.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20120722101442474

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,
In-stride shooting off the inside foot would be hard for younger players to learn I'm thinking . From the way I understand it you start on the outside foot, with weight transfer, (outside to inside) with a quick hop on release and follow through.
From what I understand it is harder for goalies to read the shot and the quickness fools them.

Do they teach this in youth hockey today ?

I just watched a video online of a gentleman who teaches pro players how to do this. Interesting.

But I also think younger players could learn this technique if they get proper instruction from someone who is qualified.

Do you think most minor hockey coaches could teach this ?

RookieCoach

RookieCoach, can you please post the link to the online video that you are referring to? It seems like the pros really load up their sticks with their weight but don't take much of a windup.

Junior

rcmat,

Here is the video link you asked for.

Instructor is Darryl Belfry .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk&feature=related

RookieCoach

Thanks RC. That is a great video. Seems to me that once young players have the technique for the basic wrist shot, they should be practicing shooting pucks off either leg, on one leg, on one knee, etc. anyway. Then once they are heavy enough to get a good stick bend, they would be ready for the shot in the video.

Junior
5 posts :: Page 1 of 1