5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5182 times)  

We have a group of high school players that has never been motivated to train in the off-season. This year I decided to try something different and get some street hockey games going. It has really worked....the kids have never played street hockey, and they're amazed at how fun the game is and how good the workout can be. My question is: How do I keep this kind of enthusiasm going for other activities, like weight lifting and sprint/hill/agility work? I don't want to kill them with seriousness and intensity, but at the same time I know they'll be amazed at the difference a little hockey-specific conditioning in the off-season will make.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance,
DMan

I think you should keep up the street hockey and do some push ups, sit ups etc. between games and make a contest out of the other things.

Thanks Tom,

That's what I was thinking of doing. USA hockey has some fun looking off ice checking drills too:
http://usahockey.cachefly.net/webofficecheckingvideo.wmv

I wouldn't expect them to put on all the gear, but some of the drill look like what we need to get stronger on our fee, and they always have fun pushing each other aroundt. Thanks for the feedback.

DM

ps. What the heck happened to Team USA against Germany?

Hi DMan,

You can use themes in your street hockey games like in on-ice games, but why leave it just to that. Basketball is good game for coordination and skill. You can use themes or different rules, eg. try play basketball with offsides. Many teams here use handball to train their break out plays, when the pace right it's good aerobic workout too.

I guess one practice could be like this:
Dynamic warm up and/or handball + speed and/or plyometrics + games + cool down, dynamic stretching

Kai

Kai

Thanks Kai,

I like your examples and appreciate the feedback.

DM

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1