4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 18021 times)  

At the mite travel level, is it worthwhile to try to teach a basic breakout? If so, what do folks recommend? I understand from this board and the book that players at the mite age should be encouraged to drive skate to open ice as soon as they get the puck. Is teaching a basic breakout up the boards counterproductive to that philosophy?

Junior

at the younger ages I simply teach 1-2-3-4-5 so 1 has the puck the closes forward on the boards, second in the middle and 3rd wide. the D partner in front. you can use c1 drills to show this starting with 1 and 2, then 1 gets the puck, 2 on the boards, 3 mirror in the middle and go down 3-0 and shoot.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Hello,

Rcmat, from my experience, I would recommend at the Traveling Mite level, to do your breakouts outside or in a gym. I believe the majority of Mites need to be concentrating on skills on the ice. A tactic or concept like breakouts, forechecking, etc would be better served if the team could work on it as a "walk through".

Eventually after a few times outside or in a gym, bring it to the ice and practice that a few times. I found that the team learned and developed better with the "dryland" first. Ice time is precious and costly, the gyms or parking lots can be used to help your team improve without costing a dime.

Just my 2 cents, good luck and write back on the outcome.

Iceman

Just my 2 cents, good luck and write back on the outcome.

We taught and practiced breakouts for the first time yesterday with my mite team. (Given the 4 ice slots/week time commitment that it takes from the parents and players, I did not organize separate dry land practices, although I agree that would be the way to go when practical.) We had the coaches demonstrate 2v0 with number 1 (puck) and number 3 (boards) and the kids did a great job of picking it up and running a 2v0 breakout drill. They did so well, in fact, that we had the coaches demonstrate 3v0 with number 1 (puck), number 3 (boards) and number 4 (middle support). The kids also picked that up well when we tested them with a 3v0 dump-in and break out. With 9 players, we shot pucks into both corners and the kids entered from the neutral zone and organized themselves for the breakout, based on where they were relative to the play -- no positions like D, W, or C. We alternated corners so one group could break out while we shot the puck in the corner for the next group.

For the rest of practice we did a continuous 3v3 scrimmage, emphasizing the breakout, where the team on D had to clear the puck under control to the next team waiting in the neutral zone. After about 10 minutes, the kids had it down to the point where we did not have to remind the D to come off the ice and remind the new O to attack. As were were focused on the continuous nature of the game and breakouts, we did not stop play for offsides but will add that element in the future.

Junior
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1