11 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 12353 times)  

looking at this site and seen the love of your philosophy
http://www.hockeyshare.com/forums/showthread.php?6922-Good-Ice-hockey-%26quot%3Bstrategy%26quot%3B-book%3F&forumid=1
-----------------------------------------

SMAC, I appreciate the comments on the hockeyshare site.

The ABC philosophy is a combination of Juhani and my background. We both coach like physical education teachers, which we both are. The benefit is that Jusso is a 3 time Finnish Olympic player and IIHF Hall of Fame coach-player-developer who has coached and played all over the world. I played with players who went on to play in the Olympics but they were a lot better than me. I have coaced every level both men and women and travelled the hockey world doing camps, seminars and coaching teams. So we give a very different and very international perspective to how to coach.

Themes are:'Enjoy the Game' and 'The Game is the Greatest Coach'.

We also organize everything according to the 3 Game situations of 0-loose puck, 1-offense, 2-defense and the 4 Game Playing Roles of 1-player with the puck, 2-players supporting the puck, 3-player checking the puck carrier, 4-players checking away from the puck.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I have been wanting to thank you for sharing all this great information with the rest of us for a while now and thought this might be a good place to do it. I check out this site just about every day to see what drill you have posted or to hear how your season is going. I love the discussions and sharing of ideas. My coaching experience is fairly limited compared to yourself so I don't contribute to the discusions but hope to do so in the future and I have lots of questions. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks luap. Feel free to contribute. Coaches that come here are from all levels, so whatever you have to say will be relevant to a lot of people.

Luap - the coaches with 'fairly limited' experience are always a pleasure to speak with. the newer guys tend to be much more open minded and far more eager to learn. the questions that I would like to present to you have to do with teaching basic skating skills. what methods did you use? what was your source of information? what worked and what didn't?
beginners are beginners, at the end of the training session it doesn't matter if your student was 5 or 55. the other thing that matters is whether or not the student experienced some measurable results.
totally looking forward to your response.

hopeful

Sorry for not responding sooner but my son has had a very busy spring hockey schedule the last few weeks and I am finally enjoying a weekend at home.

I am coaching 11-12 year olds now but when I first started coaching 5-6 year olds I was using drills provided by Hockey Canada Manuals, drills that I saw more experienced coaches using and drills that I would find on the internet. There are some good power skating instructors in our area and I always had my son doing a few session each season to work on the finer details of skating and I would learn a few things by watching. As a hockey coach I feel that it is my job to teach the game of hockey which includes basic skating techniques but I don't feel that I should pretend to be a power skating instructor and get to technical. I hear a lot of parents, who have paid good money for power skating sessions, complaining about hockey coaches undoing what thier kids have learned at power skating. Some times I think there is almost to much info out there and some people see a video or read an article and think that they have become a professional skating instructor. Over the last few years I have seen some hockey coaches, who can barely skate themselves, trying to get far more technical with skating instruction than I feel comfortable with and I skate quite well and have played hockey all my life. To answer your question is quite difficult because when you are working with beginners the kids are some times at very different skill levels, some you have to teach how to get up off the ice and others have been skating for years. Every kid is different and learn in different ways, having a good knee bend is a good place to start. I have seen several kids over the years who have started out having a hard time to stand up on the ice but with a lot of encouragement have learned to skate well and now enjoy playing the game and I find that very rewarding as a coach. I had my own son on the ice last night working on backward skating, tight turns and shooting. I find that some times he picks up some bad habbits and I just have to point them out to him and remind him of some of the basic techniques that he has learn over the years.

I just read the sports section and there is an article about another player on the 85 team I coached for two springs. I had lost track of him. He played Jr. A and then went to Cornell. He is 27 now and has played in Europe and the AHL as well as the EHL. When the Bantam Draft was held he was 4'11".

That was quite a team. We practice ten weekends 2 x 90 min. on Sat and the same Sunday. We went in one tournament half way through and another at the start of July in Vancouver. So 60 hours of practice x 2 years. 120 hours of practice. I had Terry Johnson (ex NHL defenseman helping me along with Doug Cronk, Mike Berridge and Stewart Behie. It was a great coaching staff.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=20090726085538618 is a video of them playing a transition game of continuous 1-1.

Four of the five smallest players are still playing pro.

The article was about Evan Barlow. He is still small at 5'9' but is still playing and seems to love it.

Mason Raymond who was tiny as well and not drafted in the Bantam draft and considered too small to play rep hockey his first year of Bantam; so he played town hockey. Played at Minn. Duluth and now plays NHL and has been to the Stanley Cup finals.

Ryan Duncan who was also tiny and wasn't drafted. He played Jr. A and won the Hobey Baker at North Dakota. He is 5'6' now. Ryan has played in the American league and is now in Europe.

Aaron Lee wasn't drafted but played Jr. A then NCAA in Alaska and has played AHL, EHL and is now playing in Europe.

Jeremy Colliton is the biggest guy who shoots R. He was drafted in the second round, played in the World Juniors and was up and down from the Islanders to the AHL where he was a captain.

So 5 of the 9 forwards are pro players. Our D were big for their age but topped out at 5'10" or 5'11". A few of them played major junior and all but one of the team played at least Jr. A and 3 or 4 more went NCAA.

It was the same with Dany Heatley, who is 4 years older. He was another player who came to a lot of the camps I did and practiced with Korean teams who came to Calgary and hired me to coach them. Dany was small and went undrafted in the Bantam draft. He grew like a weed the year after Bantam.

So the lesson is that if you stick with it and keep improving your skills you will catch up to the big kid's and even surpass them.

I also think that was the best format for spring hockey. They could play other sports as practice was only on the weekends. The group was 11 then 12 years old which are the 'Golden Years' for learning skills. 6 hours of practice every weekend for 10 weekends is enough time to make a difference. We didn't replace practice with exhibition games.

I say in the video that this is the best practice activity. Now I think adding that the D join the rush and the F backcheck is more complete.

On Thursday I fly to Boston to do a camp in Hudson NH with former NHL player and coach Curtis Brackenbury. Curtis is also flying in a fitness coach from Poland. So I am sure I will see a lot of new ideas. I will try to get some video and share on this site. It sounds like we are staying in Cambridge.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I say in the video that this is the best practice activity. Now I think adding that the D join the rush and the F backcheck is more complete.

Tom, do you have a link to a video of that handy? Is that the same as 1-1 to 2-2 transition? Thanks

Junior

rcmat, I am in Boston now and listening to the Calgary news channel to learn about the worst floods in the cities history. My family are all ok as we live on top of a hill but the river valley is flooded and the Saddledome has water up to row ten or more.

Here are two videos about the game with D joining the rush and F backchecking. You can progress to sending random numbers to support so the players have to read and recognize the situation and then communicate to solve the problem.

The Transition PDF Booklet has the diagrams, description and video links. I will attach it here.
-------------------------------------
DT100 Continuous 1-1, D Join Attack and F Backcheck

The extra players are on the boards in the neutral zone and join the play when the puck crosses the blue line to make it 3 on 3 in the zone. There is a 2-2 for on the initial rush and then one F from the defending team and one D from the attacking team join the play players come into the zone and they go the other direction on transition. Great way to practice the D joining the rush, identifying coverage, 3-3 in the zone, man to man coverage, backchecking and attacking with speed.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20121104082522829

DT100 Continuous 2 on 2 With D2 Joining the Attack and F3 Backchecking

The extra players are on the boards in the neutral zone and join the play when the puck crosses the blue line to make it 5-5 in the zone. There is a 3-3 for on the initial rush and then the new players come into the zone and they go the other direction on transition. Great way to practice 5 on 5 team play, especially if you only have 16 – 19 players.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20121109165328269

----------------------------------
DT100 Read-Act to Situation 1-1 to 3-3

This is a transition game my asst. coach Sean Kibyuk ran that requires decision making by the players and is a great example of how transition games can be used to teach the game and free the Coach to coach. The video is about 4 min. and has captions.

Key Points:
Transition game where the players must read the ever changing situations and act to make them even. Transition happens on a turnover, a goal or the goalie freezes the puck. The closest player support to create an even situation.

Description:
A. B1-2-3 attack R1-2-3.
B. R5-6 support the attack and B4 the defenders.
C. On transtion B4 attack R4-5 and B1-2-or 3 support the attack making it 2-2.
D. Blue Coach sends B5 to support the attack.
E. Red Coach sends R6-7 to support defense.
F. On transition R6-7 attack B5 and B1 or B2 read the outnumber situation and backcheck to make it a 2 on 2.
G. Coaches continue to randomly send 1 to 3 players to support.
H. Players read the situation and support to make it a 1-1, 2-2 or 3-3 attack.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=2013022010052621

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Thanks Tom. I was saddened to see the destruction from the flooding on the news.
---

The camp is in Hudson NH and it is hot. Mid 90's

16 skaters today with a lot of good players who are in college or entering. Two are going to NHL prospects camps in a few weeks. A couple of 6'6" D. We worked on turns and angling with some drills and transition games. Lots of work is still needed.

Junior

The camp is going really well. I am finished and came home July 3. I ran the ice time in the morning and then came back, Boston to Chicago to Calgary. I have seen some of the flood damage but not the worst places.

The players have a break now and start up again July 8 and go all summer.

I will help with planning the on ice sessions.

The next camp I do is with Gaston Schaeffer in Jasper National Park July 21-26.

The 2012 brochure is attached. 2013 is the same but for a little cost increase and the dates.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I got an email asking me to do another two weeks with the group of college players near Boston. I can only go one week because my team starts Aug. 11. So I will go the week before that.

A few of the players were just at NHL prospects camps. There are some high school prep players who are moving on to college next season mixed in with 2 Div. 1 captains. On the ice we focus on doing everything with good habits and a high level of compete.

Curtis Brackenbury does the skating technique on ice and on and off ice Low Work. It is very demanding and the them is 'you can't play low if you practice high.' He does a lot of very innovative things.

I really enjoy working with these high level athletes and the fact they asked me to plan their next ten practices and to return in August shows that they must enjoy practicing the ABC way and believe it will help them to get to the next level.

I am looking forward to watching the Flames Prospect cam that starts on Wednesday.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
11 posts :: Page 1 of 1