4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 6220 times)  

As a player I could never understand the theory of "cushioning / cupping the puck when receiving a pass. I would just hold the blade of my stick firm and let the puck die in front of me, and it worked. I starting coaching minor hockey 3 seasons ago, and I would explain to the kids how to cushion the pass, and it just didn't make alot of sence to me.

Short time ago I came across Morris Lukowich site " Max Goal Scoring" and was thrilled to see an article on how he believes in a firm blade.

"Keep the blade perpendicular to the ice, not with the receiving face of the blade cupped downward.Simply be firm with your grip and avoid moving the blade as the puck approaches."

Tom maybe you can have Morris explain his theory for us?

----------------------------------------------
Peter, I was working with Morris on Saturday but now I am on vacation in NYC. I have talked with him about this and he explained that when he got traded to LA he bobbled a few passes which took away scoring chances. Luke Robitaille took him aside and told him to take passes like you just explained. The puck just stops on the blade; no matter haw hard thepass is.

When I see him again I will ask if he can go into some detail on it.

Another thing he teaches is to eliminate useless over stickhandling and keep the puck in the sweet spot on the blade ready to shoot quickly or do anything from this triple threat position.

Chatty

Quote by: peter

As a player I could never understand the theory of "cushioning / cupping the puck when receiving a pass. I would just hold the blade of my stick firm and let the puck die in front of me, and it worked. I starting coaching minor hockey 3 seasons ago, and I would explain to the kids how to cushion the pass, and it just didn't make alot of sence to me.

Short time ago I came across Morris Lukowich site " Max Goal Scoring" and was thrilled to see an article on how he believes in a firm blade.

"Keep the blade perpendicular to the ice, not with the receiving face of the blade cupped downward.Simply be firm with your grip and avoid moving the blade as the puck approaches."

Peter, I was working with Morris on Saturday but now I am on vacation in NYC. I have talked with him about this and he explained that when he got traded to LA he bobbled a few passes which took away scoring chances. Luke Robitaille took him aside and told him to take passes like you just explained. The puck just stops on the blade; no matter haw hard thepass is.

Another thing he teaches is to eliminate useless over stickhandling and keep the puck in the sweet spot on the blade ready to shoot quickly or do anything from this triple threat position.

[/QUOTE

-----------------------------------------------------
I love it when you mention the Triple Threat Position!! Almost all young hockey players start out carrying the puck in the triple threat position, it seem natural to them. Then coaches, like myself, guide them away from this natural position. Your hockey knowledge is so valuable to new coaches. Thank you Tom.

Chatty

Quote by: peter

There is use for "soft" and "hard" catch in the game depending on the game situation. Below is good video about soft catch.
http://youtu.be/sD3MQ2Y3IFI

Kai

Kai, Darryl Belfry·has excellent skill videos.

The theme of lot of his material is how to get one skill to immediately flow into another. We tend to teach skills as segments of the game. So skating is one skill, shooting another, passing another. The soft catch is moving into a deke or puck protection mode as you take the pass instead of taking the pass, pause and then protect the puck or make a move. Instead the stick is square to the puck for a brief moment and right away the puck is moved to a better position. His video on shooting while moving is the same idea.

You can take the concept farther by thinking about transition between roles. You make pass and immediately become a passing option by breaking into open ice instead of coasting and watching your pass.

These are the skills and habits that separate elite players from good players and teams who transition roles right away become elite teams.

I am leaving the hotel soon to have breakfast in Grand Central Station with Dennis Freed who started the hockeycoach.com site which became this site. I haven't seen him in over ten years.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1