12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 16310 times)  

In this section I will post PDF booklets of the ABC coded drills and games.

The pdf's have descriptions, diagrams and video links of practice ideas to help coaches run effective practices.

Please let me know if links don't work or if the wrong video is playing in some of the drills. The whole program has about 700 pdf's and I know there are some mistakes.

The Plan
This is a huge project to put my entire data base into booklets. First I will gather the material and make sure it is coded properly within our system. I will make booklets out of these because it is easier for me to see duplication and check the video links. I will edit the pdf.'s and eliminate the duplicates and correct the links as well as put video that I have taken since I posted the description and diagram if there is a video that fits the drill or game. I will repost as revised. It will probably take until the middle of June to do it all. After that I will start the Daily Drill postings again and update the booklets every few months to include the new material.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

A - Skating and Puck Handling

A coded activites focus on individual skills and skating.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

B - Partner and Team Skill Drills

This booklet contains drills that can be used from youth hockey to pro and the video examples are from all of these levels with many international examples to develop skills like passing, checking, breakouts, or any skill that you stress working together to improve individual or team skills. There are some situations up to a 2-2 that belong both here and in the C section.

The pdf's have a description, diagram and most contain a link to a video example.

The B drills are in two sections. B2 to B7 and B200 to B600 as there is over 225 drills and they run better in smaller pdf's.

The link for the Swedish material changed since I did the pdf descriptions. Go to the site below and then click on videos at the top. They have three sections. The drills are from the first which section which is a drill bank. There is also a section Swedish Hockey School and one with hockey technique videos. All are very good.

http://www.swehockey.se/hockeyakademin

Revised Booklets

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

C - Game Situations 1-1 to 5-3

This booklet has game situation drills from 1-1 to 5-3. The drills are full ice and the attackers are trying to score vs. defenders. The videos are from teams that range minor hockey to professional in North America and Europe.

The pdf's have a descriptions, diagram and most have a video link that can be clicked on and seen on phones, tablets and desktops.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

D - Games to Teach the Game

This booklet has full ice, cross ice, one zone, two zone, etc. games. It is the most important part of the data base that I am sharing with the coaches who come here. We are teaching a game and not teaching drills. Every skill has to be applicable to the actual game of Ice Hockey. Teach a skill and then have the players use that skill under game pressure. Teach a playing concept like passing the puck to a teammate who is in a better postion than you. Create a game that emphasizes that game reading skill and see if the players can apply the skill within the game.

Some of the games are repeated with different groups playing the same game. i.e. Youth players play a cross-ice game with no passing and pro players do the same thing; just a lot faster and with more skill.

The games make practices a lot more fun and help players to understand the game by reading the situation and being creative in solving the situations.

Some of the games are the same but with different groups playing them. i.e. Pro's playing a no pass cross ice game as compared to a minor hockey team.

Revised

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

DT - Transition Game Booklet

Hockey is a game of Transition.

In the average hockey game each team gets and loses the puck about 3 times each minute. Your team will get the puck about 180 times and the other team will get the puck about 180 times in a 60 minute game. Transition from offense to defense to battles for a loose puck and then to defence or offense is the one constant in the game. In a game between two even teams you are on offense about 35% of the time, on defense about 35% of the time and battling for loose puck about 30% of the time.

Our practices have to prepare the players for these constant transitions. Drills only practice one situation at a time. In a 2-1 drill the attackers are on offense and the defender on defense. No decisions are needed as you know it is a 2-1 and you are playing defense in a 2-1 situation. The shot is taken and instead of battling for the rebound and playing low in the zone the players usually have to clear the area for the next 2-1.

Transition games use only one puck. New players give either passive, active or a combination of passive and active support. Any situation can be created and played full ice, half ice or whatever the coach wants. Other transition games require a certain amount of passes before you can score or else a pass to a supporting joker.

Transition games are the MISSING INGREDIENT in most practices but are probably the most effective way to practice realistic situations and teach team play concepts.

These are transition games that I learned from the newly appointed Finnish Olympic coach Erkka Westerlund plus many from other coaches along with ones I and my coaching stafff have invented.

Revised Booklet.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

E - Shoot-outs and Contests

The point of a hockey game is to score more goals than the opponent. These shoot-outs practice this important skill of scoring and give the goalies practice in outnumbered situations.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

G - ABC Goalie Practice

This booklet contains drills that coaches from around the hockey world do to train their goalies.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

T - ABC Team Play Booklet

This booklet shows how coaches from around the world teach Team Play. It is advanced material with a lot of examples from pro practices in North America and Europe. It doesn't matter what system a coach chooses. These drills and games are coaching methods to teach any system.

I have converted the videos from wmv. to a more universal format.

I am also planning to prepare a video on how to create practice plans that you can send to the coaching staff and players and they can look at them on their phone and watch a video demo. That is the reason I am converting everything. wmv. videos don't run on most mobile devices and need a coversion program to run on apple devices which about half of the coaches have.

I just uploaded the TC Whiteboard Practice Planner Template. I can't upload doc. files to the discussion board so I put it in the File Section. I make my practice plan and then save it as a pdf. Some devices require you load a pdf. reader. You can search the apps and get them for most devices like apple and samsung.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=120

There are problems opening the Template on my Ipad so here is a link to it on my skydrive. I hope it works. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BD6FA116988317E9%21116&authkey=%21AGI_Qc-uko9dQNA

Any feedback would be appreciated.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

O - ABC Off-ice Training for Hockey

This booklet has off-ice practice ideas from around the hockey world. Not all of the videos have a pdf. so there is a link of video links in the booklet.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

D - ABC Games Method and Philosophy

This booklet is from the Hockey Coaching ABC's manual and explains the Why and How or using games and gives examples of games to teach the game and on-ice organization.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

F - Conditioning Skating Videos

This booklet contains links to videos of conditioning skates.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
12 posts :: Page 1 of 1