2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3020 times)  

Our organization is putting together a tournament team for Stoney Creek in early September. The idea is to give the players more exposure to the college coaches in the east. Calgary is a long way for recruiters from there to come.

It is an open tryout for anyone in our organization and I am the head coach. We had our first practice yesterday and another tonight and then on Wednesday. We will then pick the team. There are about 22 skaters 10 D and 12 F and 3 goalies to chose from.

We had a really good practice yesterday. I had them warm up with edges while carrying a puck, we did some chaos passing, two 1-1's and then 2-1's at the same time. A few were still on vacation so we had 9 F and 9 D so we played a little half ice x 2 tournament of 2-2 instead of 3-3. We moved onto a transition game of continuous 1-1 to 2-2, 2-1 to 3-3, 2-2 to 4-4. It was unbelievable how quickly they caught on to this transition game. We did rebound to recover for about 8 minutes and finished with a full ice 3-3 where the players change on their own.

It was neat after as all of the girl's lined up at the end of practice and touched my glove and said 'Thanks Coach.' I don't think they have had that kind of practice before. We lost quite a few players to sports academies but there are good ones to take their place.
--------------------

I was answering a question on another topic and had to look up the link to the program Juhani Wahlsten and I co-authored the Development Program for the Austrian Ice Hockey Federation. It is in German but there are many drill and game diagrams that are easily understood. (it is basically the ABC book in 3 sections) http://www.eishockey.at/aus-und-fortbildung/ The idea of this site is to continually update the material.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
By: Likes:

This is tonight's plan. Need to see a lot of game situation. We have more players who are good enough than spots on the team.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin
2 posts :: Page 1 of 1