5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5181 times)  

Insurance or a waiver??
When running a hockey program outside of minor hockey, should I have Insurance or have the players sign a waiver?

Chatty

Peter, I can't really tell you. I would have them sign a waiver that states they realize that hockey has injury risks. The men's hockey I play on M-W has insurance but the hockey I play today at noon doesn't. In Canada we have universal health care but the USA doesn't as yet; so that may be a factor.

I am sure a lot of other coaches know a lot more about this than me.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Hi peter -

In my view, it would be silly not to have insurance, given the risks in this game and increased awareness of liability, especially for head injuries.
Astute parents will be demanding this and it needs to be built into the cost that you charge.
A private policy can be purchased from most insurers - somewhere around 100 - 200$ per month (depends on body-checking or not) for up to 30 players (when I last did this circa 2010) or you could ask the rink where you rent the ice and they might have a policy where they can add your group to their insurance (for an extra charge, of course).
Either way, there is still paperwork involved with every parent signing forms acknowledging their child's involvement.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Quote by: Ice Sage

Hi peter -

In my view, it would be silly not to have insurance, given the risks in this game and increased awareness of liability, especially for head injuries.
Astute parents will be demanding this and it needs to be built into the cost that you charge.
A private policy can be purchased from most insurers - somewhere around 100 - 200$ per month (depends on body-checking or not) for up to 30 players (when I last did this circa 2010) or you could ask the rink where you rent the ice and they might have a policy where they can add your group to their insurance (for an extra charge, of course).
Either way, there is still paperwork involved with every parent signing forms acknowledging their child's involvement.
Hope this helps and good luck.

---------------------------------

Thank you. Silly not to have insurance if it's that cheap.

Chatty

I've purchased spring hockey team insurance through these guys in the past and had no issues.

http://www.sports411.ca/

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1