8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 8859 times)  

I was looking for some thoughst on making a team play book. Basically every season I get a wide array of experience levels as well as knowledge of the game. Some players know a certain forecheck like 2 - 1 - 2 and others just know....firts guy hard in the corner. My thoughts going in to this season are to make a play book. With options for breakout, regroup, forecheck, faceoffs, etc. We would cover these and then run my practices based on these skills. I have had some discussions with other coaches locally and some have said they don't like this idea at all because "this is a read and react sport and doing that book would just make them robots." What are your thoughts?

I think you should try to teach all of the 8 intelligences. Some learn by reading best. At the very least it is something for your players to refer to. Just because you write it down doesn't make them robots. What is you write that they will play Total Hockey and read how many players are in front of them and then play as 1-2-3-4 or 5 in that situation. Maybe they will pressure or maybe they will contain and they have to decide whether they are close enough to do one or the other.

Pretty smart robot to make all those choices.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have actually purchased both of your books and they will make it very simple for me to put together something in writing. I understand there is a read and react element to the game. That being said we can definitely put on paper where they most likely will want to go if a certain scenario occurs.

I have attached a copy of the team play book from about 14 years ago. The coaching staff put it together. It is still very up to date and the systems are still used. Some of the defensive techniques can't be used because the rules are now called and then it was like steer wrestling in the corners.

I think it helps everyone understand the style of play.

Hey Tom,

I used this playbook when I started 5 years ago and still use it. Depending on what age group I have, I add or subtract aspects - but truely and awesome resource.

Thanks.
Cole Wink

hyper

All teams need a common framework to play with. It helps the players understand the relationships and responsibilities on ice. A "play book" of some sort creates a common language for the team and helps players understand what their roles are in a wide variety of situations they are faced with. Teams without a common set of understanding and situational expectations will struggle. Some coaches say that having a play book stifles the players. Having no play book results in chaos on the ice and is for lazy coaches. Creativity occurs when a player deviates from the norm or expected. Without a base to work from support players have no idea where to go because they have no idea where their teammates are going to go. Build a play book that fits your team talent levels and add to it as they get better. Big Grin

excited

Quote by: Tom

I have attached a copy of the team play book from about 14 years ago. The coaching staff put it together. It is still very up to date and the systems are still used. Some of the defensive techniques can't be used because the rules are now called and then it was like steer wrestling in the corners.

I think it helps everyone understand the style of play.

Why does the file open upside down

You have 3 options.
1. Stand on your head and read it.
2. Turn your computer upside down.
3. Use the arrows in the Adobe reader program to turn the page around.

Just kidding. I suggest #3.

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1