3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 5978 times)  

Just learned this term from our friend Kai ( and I'm kind of showing off ). During a forecheck, when the puck is played away from your F1, then F2 puts pressure on the puck as F1 skates back to center. My question is, how do you guys handle your F3 ? The ability of a team to 'read and react' when in Role 3 is likely to determine the success of their Forecheck. I am hoping for any thoughts, suggestions, experience, drills, etc. that address the high guy in a 2-1-2. Oh, yeah....don't forget to 'voita tila keskelle' ( win the big ice with the puck) while you 'puolusta keskustaa' ( keep opponents out of it ). Hey, Tom, when are you going back to Finland ? I can go along as a translator for you and speak Finnish with my Brooklyn accent. That may get a few chuckles.

Chatty

F3 covers the center and the weak side. And pressure come always from the closest player. So if F1 pressures F2 supports to strong side and F3 takes the center and weak side.

If puck is played to strong side F2 gives pressure and F1 becomes F2 by returning below the puck. if the puck is passed to weak side F3 gives pressure F2 moves to support and F1 stays on the weak side. So you need to move and face the puck and read and react.

Kai

Kai

Kai -
This is terrific and I truly appreciate your work. To me, the central issue of Forechecking is this: ]Does your F2 pressure their D2 or F1 ? It is often a matter of reading and reacting. Kai has addressed that with an intelligent overall design which makes sense. In fact, it now leads to the question of 2-1-2 vs 2-2-1. If the guys that you coach understand the counter movement that is involved with Kai's concept, then why not go 2-2-1. Teams that are always in your face, constantly pressure the puck, and always take away the good ice can be difficult to play against. The 2-2-1 is a lot of fun for your guys as well. In my case, we are preparing to play older and more experienced teams. An overbearing forecheck could be a good equalizer. Thanks again, Kai.

Chatty
3 posts :: Page 1 of 1