6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 9506 times)  

Total Hockey is a player reading the play by recongnizing their proximity to the puck and where they are on the ice and then reacting appropriately. To take advantange of turnovers in the offensive end the coach has to have the team creating pressure that limits time and space.

Hockey research done in Finland.

They studied hundred of games and discovered. A ppoint presentation is attached.

Attacks from the defensive zone all the way down the ice produce a scoring chance 2-4% of the time.
Attacks from the neutral zone produce a scoring chance about 5-7% of the time.
Attacks resulting from turnovers in the offensive zone produce scoring chances 25-33% of the time.

You create turnovers by pressuring hard and reducing time and space and then go hard to the net with 4 players.

Here is a diagram of a pressure forecheck when the puck is on one side of the ice. The next positng will have the same 2-2-1 forecheck when the puck is behind the net or in a middle zone.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

If the puck is in the middle lane 1 pressure from the oringinal puck side. 2 pressure the first low pass, 3 and 4 be in pre pinch position in the wide lanes and 5 support from the point on the strong side.

Once you get the puck over load the strong side with 3 players and have weak side support in the high slot who can also go back door.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

I've posted/replied to this (2-2-1) topic before and just want to reiterate how much I like it and how effective it is in taking away time and space thereby minimizing and/or eliminating what could normally be a good breakout team.

Two points I'd like to share is that is that the high slot F (F3) is important to be in good position to take away any support pass thru the middle on the breakout attempt especially when the puck goes from one side to the other. The players must 'shift' quickly and be in proper position to keep the 2-2-1 formation and it's effectiveness.

The one thing I've had problems is generating the net drive and effectively good offensive opportunities from the aggressive forecheck. Play gets so tight (ie. like a SAG) and the defending team is so close, I find there's just that many more bodies "in the way" in order to get to the net. However, the backdoor D is what we've been trying to use and this seems to really create the chances.

Again, a big fan of this forecheck and strongly recommend it.

Good luck Tom with the new team. Is Wally still involved with the team as well? I know he was a couple of years ago.

All the best.

Like any team play everyone has to buy in and understand how to move together.

Wally had 5 bypasses in his heart. He had a major heart attack while on the ice with the Rockies. He still works for Hockey Canada in program development but is trying to get stronger.

is Jouko Lukkarila.ppt in English?

Sorry, its in both. My bad

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1