145 posts :: Page 3 of 5
By: Likes:

Last practice before our two games on the weekend. Some players arrive a little late as it is at 4 and many get out of school 30 min. earlier. Started with one goalie and 13 skaters and 15 minutes in all 15 skaters and both goalies were there. Focus was on good playing habits like gaining the big ice between the dots, pass and follow the pass and take the ice behind, isolate the widest defender and create 2-1's, back pressure and create defensive 2-1's, box out, seal sticks to the outside, use escape moves to gain time and space.
I will post video of the passing warm up drills.
-------------------------------------------------------
November 3 Practice - 75 Minutes

Goals:
Good habits. Escape Moves
Box out, seal sticks to the outside. Play Big Ice Hockey
Back Pressure Isolate wide defender and create 2-1’s

A300 Nervous system Overload
-carry 2 pucks at once.
-Chaos using escape moves in nzone.
Chaos Passing-exchange pucks while skating in nzone. Count how many you make in 60".
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080722095241992

C1 2-0 Skate Inside and Pass Outside
Skate to the big ice between the dots with the puck and pass to the outside. Pass and follow the pass taking the ice behind.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20111103221221695

C2 Passing 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1
Start with a shot and everyone gets a pass in each zone.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20111103221612750

D4 Two Pass at each end
Rules:
Game one-you must make an escape move before you can pass or shoot.
Game two-Rotate teams. Rule you can only score on Give and Go Plays.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20080723172054482

DT400 2-0 Back Pressue Game-one goal game.
F1 pressures the puck carrier into the defender and creates a defensive 2-1.
Sequence: Support-breakout-turn back-attack-defend.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20111029094402757

DT100 Attackers With Active Support
-2 on 2 with the offense getting support from the blueline.
-Point players are like jokers and can shoot or pass but not go in. must make a play within 2”.-Sequence –Defend-breakout-attack jokers-rest.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20111028075900881

E1 – Gambling Shootout

Bet each shot. Loser skate across and back.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20111004080315971

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Saturday was a tough game for us. After winning five straight I think 'we were drinking our own bath water' and looked like we were out of shape and had no systems. We lost loose puck battles all over the ice, didn't fill in for each other on rotations. Our first was ok and we led 1-0, then in the second we stopped competing and gave up 4 breakaways and never made a break out pass. We were down 1-2 after two. In the thrid we were a little better but gave up two more breakaways to the top scorer in the league and she scored on one. Ended up losing 3-1 but our goalie was our best player by far. We gave up the first pp goal in seven games, a short handed goal and an even strength. So we were bad at everything.

It was a time to bring out the Team Covenant and review what the players had promised each other. Out captain was visiting her brother who is playing NCAA and they had their opening game. Our team covenant states Family First; so it was ok with everyone for her to go.

On Sunday we played the top team in the entire league. We played a really solid game and had them hemmed in for long periods at a time. Everyone was ready to play and competed hard. The score ended up 2-2 and we probably deserved the win. We were shorthanded the last 4 minutes, 2 minutes of it was 5 on 3.

Next week we go north and play St. Albert and Edmonton the two top teams in the northern division.

Our week is.
Monday - spin on the exercise bikes.
Tues - practice
Wed. - specialty team scrimmage with another Calgary team
Thurs - practice
Fri. - off
Sat - St Albert
Sun.- Edmonton

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Deniz is coming here from Turkey tomorrow and staying with me until Friday. He wants to come to our practices, we will go to the Flames-Wild game after practice Tuesday, hopefully see some NHL practices and other hockey things. I get him right after my noon school skills class. He was captain of the Turkish National Team and is getting into coaching.

I told him that to really experience Canadian hockey he has to play with us on Wed. morning. He needs pants and socks and we will supply them. It is a bunch of retired pro hockey players, teachers, fire men, mounties and farmers who have the mornings off. Everyone played a pretty good level. I am sure he will love it and the guys will have a lot of fun meeting him.

I have to call the Flames to see if he can meet some players or see the dressing room or something. They fired all the coaches I knew so I don't know if I can get him down there.

My wife is away visiting family in Ontario now so I have time to do a lot of hockey stuff with him.

He has a youth program in istambul. Juhani Wahlsten "Juuso", coached them about 10 years ago at the IIHF Worlds.

Looking forward to it.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Deniz Ince, the coach from Turkey came to our combined practice on Wed. It was back to back 60 min ice; so we were on for 30 alone, then they came and warmed up at one end and we did a continuous 3-2 with 1 pts for a goal and one point for stopping the team from entering the zone.The score was on the clock. We won that by tean points. They couldn't break the4 Tsunami. then there was a shootout with one point per goal and they cosed the gap to 5 points. The winning team got milk and cookies. They stayed on for 30 min.

Thursday we did individual skills for the first 30 minutes. Deniz and I went on the ice with former NHL scorer Morris Lukowich who has a company called Maximum Goal Scoring. Morris had 3 things he wanted to show Deniz.
1. Taking the pass in the power zone and not dusting the puck.
2. Scoring zones to shoot at with one timers.
3. Puck pull push and shoot move and reading the goalies stick for where to shoot.

I had my players work in pairs across ice doing the skills and added a few moves from Jursinov.

We then did puck handling skills with 3 figure eights on each side with different tasks finishing with a shot.
1. puck only on the forehand.
2. puck only on the backhand.
3. quick hands and feet, no coasting - shoot.
Other way.
4. quick hands and feet again.
5. skating backwards.
7. transition skate facing the far end - shoot.

We played 2 pass with skating rules every 3 minutes.
1. snow plow.
2. flat footed.
3. slalom.
4. one leg.
then we had a break and the goalie pointed out to me that they were leaving everyone open; so I reminded them to play man on man. The greens switched ends and we played some good habit games.
5. Pass only on the forehand.
6. Escape move before you can pass or shoot.

Full ice transition game of 2-2 with offense getting active support from 2 jokers at the blue line. (they can only have the puck 1" and must shoot or pass. The focus was to created 2-1's on offense and box out and seal the sticks to the outside on defense. We did this for about 6 minutes.

We met in the middle and I changed the rotation. The whites sent out 1-2-3 players to support the offense and the greens 3-2-1 players, so the situation was different every time from 1-1, 2-1, 1-2, 3-1, 1-3, 2-3, 3-3.

We finished with a 2 shot shootout and the asst. coaches kept score. It ended 7-5 and the losing team had to do 2 push ups. When the winners heard this they said they should also pick up the pucks, so we added that.

We do north for a 2 game road trip playing St. Albert then Edmonton. they are first and second in the northern division. It will be interesting to see how we match up.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

We played the two top teams in the northern division.

First game we played a team with some of the top scorers in the league. We forechecked and had them hemmed in for long periods but couldn't score. It was 1-1 after one, 1-2 after 2 and 1-4 at the end. We pulled our goalie and were all around their net but no one put it in and then one of their player slapped it out blindly from their end and it went right in the middle of our net. Scoring chances were equal. I was really happy with the way we played. Their goals were on individual efforts that we didn't have good defensive technique on. Those can be fixed. Scoring chances were equal.

Sunday we were all over them creating all kinds of scoring chances but either missed the net or passed instead of shoot. We lost 2-3. They scored on a penalty shot and the girl did the Datsuk move with a back toe drag and scored a really nice goal. Again we pulled out goalie and had lots of chances but didn't score.

So we have the 4th best GA out of the 12 teams but the 7th best GF.

Our project is to raise the level of everyone a little bit. We play the top team in our division next week. They have only lost 2 and tied 2 in 16 games. We have beaten them once and tied them once.

I couldn't ask a team to work harder than my players do. It would be nice to see them get rewarded by scoring a little more.

So getting everyone to win their defensive 1-1's and moving the puck quicker, shooting quicker and putting in rebounds is the emphasis of the week. It is a lighter week with Monday off, tues - ice, Wed. - plyo's, Thurs - ice, Friday off and 2 games on the weekend. It is good as my top scorer has the flu really bad. We play everyone in every situation until the last few minutes of games where we are behind. We need everyone to play with good habits and game understanding.

The 2 F that I moved back to D both played well on the weekend and were even or plus players. That has been a major project and they are getting better every week. They are both great skaters and compete hard.

A few of my 94 born players were spoken to by college scouts (Canadian institutions). I have 2 D and 4 F in grade 12 who would be good college or university players. We are going to a tournament Notre Dame in Wilcox, Sask. next month and there is a big one here after Christmas. There is always a lot of college scouts at these tournaments. I used to recruit at them when I was the head coach at Mount Royal.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

We played the top team who have only lost 2 and tied 2 out of 17. We had beaten them 5-2 away and tied 2-2 in our home rink.

We dominated the first period and it was 1-1. Two linesman were the refs as no ref showed up at another game and the head ref left. We disputed a really poor call on a too many men where our players were in the box and the door closed and this set one of the refs off and she had us 2 short for about 6 minutes. We didn't kill very well and they got 4 goals and then outscored us 2-1 in the third.

Moral of the story is that it is better to put up with bad calls because once you lose a ref you are in trouble.

Their goalie constantly kicks the net off whenever there is pressure. Not in the spirit of the game in my opinion but some goalie coaches teach it.

Sunday we played great the first two periods and were leading 4-1 and outshooting the opponent 33-6. They had scored 3 in the third to tie the game the night before and started the third outshooting us 7-1. They made it 4-2 and then we took a slashing the goalies hand penalty with 2.5 minutes left and they made it 4-3. We got an empty netter for a 5-3 win outshooting them 40-16.

This week we have:
Monday - Spin on the exercise bikes.
Tuesday - 90 minute practice - Gaston is doing skating for 45 minutes.
Wed. - on ice 75 min. - Dean may do some games for half the practice.
Thursday - off
Friday-Saturday-Sunday a game each day.

Goal of the week is to improve fitness, skating technique, angles, clarify pk rotation and work on some individual problem areas.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Today we had a 90 minute practice and had Gaston there to do half of the practice on skating technique. The session was going so well that I asked him to keep going and he did the entire practice.

He worked on the forward and backward stride, turning forward and backward, the chucktow turn and then put it all together with one on one's with no puck and keep good gaps and D side and then they used pucks and tried to score in one on one's. Everyone attacked and defended.

It was a great practice and I think it will really help.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

We only had an hour and tomorrow off before a 3 game weekend so I wanted to have a very quick paced practice. We did drills and games the players know with a few added twists so we didn't need to go to the rink board.

- A200 warm up - handle two pucks and then pass two pucks at once.

- A200 - balance and edges sequence with a puck and finish with a shot.

- C2 - everyone gets a pass in each zone. On the 1-0 touch both kees at each blue line. and then everyone gets a pass in each zone. One touch passes and one touch shot. Sequence 1-2-3-4-5 5-4-3-2-1

- B5 - double cross and drop and shot and then add a pass low and back.

- B6 - 3-0 weave and regroup with the other end.

- DT100 - 2-2 backchecking game.

- DT100 - Continuous 1-1, 2-1

- E1 - 2 shot shootout

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

On Friday we played a team who is just ahead of us in the standings and two weekends ago defeated the top two teams in the league. They have the top scorer in the league. She is a big strong player with a right handed shot. She has a great toe drag but what makes her so effective is that she shoots thru the defender in the middle of her toe drag, so she creates a screen as well as gets the goalie moving sideways and opening up wholes. I coached college 5 years and in a pro women's league the last two and didn't see anyone as effective as her in shooting off the rush.

We had a great first period and they couldn't solve the Tsunami and we got 2 even strength 1 shorthanded and 1 pp goal for a 4-0 lead. They came out hard in the second and we were shorthanded 3-5 a few times for hits to the head. Their top scorer got 2 even strength and one pp goal. We scored late on the pp so we went in after the second leading 5-3.

In the third she got another goal on the rush shooting while moving her feet, toe dragging and letting it go using the D to screen. It was 5-4 and pretty intense. We were getting out competed the first half of the third but came on and won most of the battles in the last ten minutes and scored an empty netter with a minute to go and won the game 6-4.

It was a very hard fought game. The coach of Team Alberta for U15 was there watching our goalie and the player who scored 4. They are both underage and had to be chosen in the top 3 in order to play U18 AAA. I think he was impressed.

We have a Sat. and Sunday game.
------------------------------------------------------
Saturdays game was the shootout at the OK Corral which we ended on top 8-4. We got 4 pp and one SH goal. So our specialty teams were good. 50% on the pp. We gave up one shorthanded.

We were very loosey goosey near the blue lines and that is where the turnovers happened and they got their goal from. We outshot them 41-21. I watched the video late last night and we were really moving the puck around.

Dean and John the Columbian were at the game and I talked with them a bit after the first but they weren't around after the game. I was hoping Dean would buy me that soda he promised.
--------------------------------------
Just got back from the game to find my Gazeboo blown down and bent out of shape from a wind storm. A few of the lights in the arena were out and they have closed off access to the city centre where debris is blowing off the top of buildings under construction.
We won 6-0 and got 2 more pp goals and another sh goal. Shots 40-23 for us.

The last two games were vs. teams below us in the standings. The team we beat today defeated the team we played on Friday so we probable have moved in front of them in the standings.

We play the best team I have seen this year next weekend. We are 1 and 2 against them. So we need a good week of preparation starting with boxing on Monday and then 3 days of on ice practice. Dean is invited to come and do some games on Wed. at Erin Woods.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Dean, any comments on the above posting?

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Hi Tom,

We had to leave right after the game (John had to coach and I had to get home), but we did stay till the end. You were right - it was indeed a shootout! (Hey I gave you my monthly "friendship payment" after the first... didn't know I was also supposed to buy you a soda after the game!)

I was impressed with some of the girls on both sides. Your #8 and #18 stood out. 8 was strong with the puck; using her speed and skills to take on players and beat them. She funneled into the PSA pretty hard. Her skating ability allows her to do this. 18 was pretty good on the back end. She plays heads up hockey and sees the ice - she passes and shoots well. When retreating backwards, she tends to cross over every third or forth stride... this would be problematic for her against a skilled attacker.

Special teams were definitely working for your team! I was impressed that Okotoks didn't appear to get discouraged because you scored some "morale-sinking" goals on them... instead, they roared right back after each faceoff and either scored a quick one back or created a good scoring chance or two. They seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd period though, due to the short bench. Their goaltending was soft too.

On the Okotoks side, #10 and #12 played well together. 10 is more of a power forward who needs to improve her shooting under pressure (she had several quality chances alone on the goalie but only scored once; I think she had 3 assists); while 12 worked her butt off and her hat trick came as a result of her work ethic. I am told she is a super positive girl, so it was nice to see her get rewarded. #11 on Okotoks is ONLY 13 YO! I felt she was their best D. Gritty and feisty, she really got involved. With good coaching, she has a lot of potential. #4 was their other top D. She plays with good positioning (O and D). When she defends, she is one of the rare individuals who doesn't cross over; she plays her 1 vs 1's like a pro... backward sculling to maintain and match the attackers speed. She doesn't put her feet into a bad situation (cross-overs) and this makes it tough for girls to beat her... they can't take advantage of using deceptive moves to get her crossing her feet. If the attacker drives wide, she open pivots to the opponent and maintains her speed and body position. Highly impressive for either gender!

After talking to Derek (the Okotoks coach), he told me their top 4 players are out with injuries; along with their best goalie. Because the practices and games conflict with the Bantam AAA schedule, it is almost impossible to pull players up ; plus with the 'draw area' so large, girls either can't make practice (or don't want to drive that far on cold, dark roads). He also said 19 players who would have been eligible to play in Okotoks this season (Midget AAA) left for other teams (Edge, Warner, etc.) So that is an entire roster for a team... plus the 4-5 who were out yesterday. In essence, they are fielding a Midget A or AA this year. It looks like a couple of girls are certainly playing over their head and would be better served at a lower level, but what can one do when you need bodies?

I am amazed that so many girls left this program. I have heard there are issues with the MHA and have been for a few years (including coaching in the past). Apparently, there are only a couple of Board members who 'care' about girls hockey; the rest prefer to see resources go to the boys. All in all, a tough situation for Okotoks. I don't know what they can do to rectify it. I remember when Airdrie had a team about 10 years ago... I think they lost all their games that year, then folded. The Airdrie girls now play in Okotoks...

-----

Crazy wind storm here today... had to further secure our patio furniture that we had tarped previously this fall. My neighbours' trampolines blew across their yards. One is resting against his fence; along with everything from his patio! The other neighbour must have dragged his tramp around the corner and lashed it to the side of his house. (I helped him do this once before... we get a lot of wind here on the extreme West edge of the city. See below...)

-----

Extreme weather
Massive cleanup begins in ‘windy city’

josh wingrove AND and nathan vanderklippe, Globe and Mail, Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011

Calgary’s in cleanup mode after hurricane-strength weekend winds shuttered the downtown, tipped over vehicles, uprooted trees and overwhelmed emergency crews.

An alert was issued and major streets were closed at 2 p.m. Sunday as winds reached speeds as high as 149 km/h in Calgary and across southern Alberta. Officials asked people to simply stay indoors – at one point, every one of Calgary’s 90 available fire trucks were on the road.

“There have been so many calls, our police and ambulance can’t keep up with them,” Calgary police Detective Dean Vegso said.

No one was seriously hurt. One firefighter was hit by falling glass, suffering minor injuries.

The property damage, however, was extensive. Powerful gusts peeled roofs from buildings and whipped trash into twisters on city streets. Photos showed tractor trailers tipped on their sides along highways. Countless trees fell, hitting houses and cars.

Danielle Smith, the leader of the opposition Wildrose Party, was watching Star Wars at her house in High River, Alta., when the image cut out. A large pine tree had been knocked over, crashing through her fence and onto the hood of one of her cars.

“It looks like the trunk fell right down on the hood of the car,” she said. “I suspect there’s not much hope it’s going to survive.” Another tree was also knocked down, barely missing her house.

The winds exceeded what Environment Canada considers a Category 1 hurricane in a coastal city. The Calgary Zoo cancelled its programming, citing “extreme high winds and weather warnings.” The winds were expected to subside late Sunday evening, Environment Canada said.

Power was knocked out across parts of the province. “It’s just knocking trees down left, right and centre,” RCMP Constable Stacy Campbell said. “We wish Mother Nature would work with us here.”

The province turned to its emergency alert system – overhauled in the aftermath of a devastating fire that hit the small city of Slave Lake earlier this year – to urge people to seek shelter. “Put as many walls between you and the storm as possible,” it said.

It was southern Alberta’s second day of strong winds in less than a week, after a storm blew semis into ditches on Thursday. Late fall often brings violent weather to the province, as chinooks deposit huge dumps of snow in the mountains – more than 50 centimetres in some places last week – and then hurtle over the prairies.

The debris resulting from these storms has proven fatal in the past: In 2009, a car-sized piece of sheet metal killed a three-year-old girl walking through downtown.

On Sunday, scaffolding collapsed at some low-rise construction sites, but there were no major problems at construction sites, including the Bow tower, which will be the tallest in Western Canada when it’s completed. It’s atop the Bow that winds reached 149 km/h.

“Calgary is a windy city. When a chinook blows through, we know there’s going to be some high winds,” said Kerry Gillis, senior vice president of major projects with Ledcor Construction, which is building the Bow tower. Crews reported it “was pretty hairy,” but nothing flew off the building, Mr. Gillis added.

Across Calgary, some century-old trees didn’t survive a storm worse than many could remember.

One tree tumbled into a house next to the home of Mike Stanfield. Its roots were pulled from the ground, leaving an exposed black mass of soil. “They’re knocked over all over town,” Mr. Stanfield said. “There’s dozens of them down.”

----------------------------------------
Gaston was working with the team last Tuesday on eliminating cross overs in backward skating. It is hard to change habits that players have been doing for 10 years. #18 had quite a 3 game weekend. +4 even strength with no GA and +5 on the pp and no goals against on the pk.
#8 was +3 even strength, +2 on the pp, scored two shorthanded goals and was on for one against on the pk.

It is always hard to play a team that your team considers an easy opponent. That team has tied 4 games this season vs some of the top teams; so those teams weren't prepared to compete. My team was prepared to skate hard on offense and score some goals but didn't pay attention to defense or good habits at the blue lines. Lots of stupid turnovers. At least they were ready to attack and we have more talent than that team in a game of river hockey.

The next day we played a much better team and got a 6-0 shutout and gave up only one semi breakaway that the ref thought was worth a penalty shot; so our goalie had to earn the shutout.

So sometimes a coach has to be satisfied with a win, even though it is ugly as long as you can use the poor game as an example of what happens if you play with bad habits like handling the puck as last man or passing soft into the middle.

It was really easy to get up for the Friday night game vs an arch rival Calgary Chaos team and the trick is not to blow games you should win and to beat teams that you should beat.

Two big tournaments for us this month. One at Notre Dame in Wilcox, Saskatchewan and the Mac's tournament here right after Christmas. There will be lots of college scouts there for my grade 12 players to impress. I used to recruit at both these tournaments when I coached at college. My number 8 is only in grade 10 but I am sure a lot of schools will be writing her name down. I think she is the best player in the league and a definite candidate for the National Team.

Tom
-----

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Tom,

Just read that part about the invite to your Wed practice... I have a meeting that night so I will be tied up. We will have to schedule another day.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

That is ok Dean. Terry Johnson is going to come to our practice tomorrow night and I asked him to give the players some key points in playing defensive one on one's.Terry was a good NHL defensive defenseman and I coached with him for 5 years at the U of Calgay and he has helped me with other teams over the years. Very good communicator.

I just got back from our dryland session. Tonight it was boxing at NSD. The instructor Dale was very good and he went over some combinations in a good athletic balance position. Weight transfer and using the body. All important athletic principles. They also did heavy bag work with 60" of punching followed by a 200 metre wind sprint. They finished with 15 minutes of core work. It was a good change of pace. I took some video on my iphone and will put it up the next few days.

Tueday we have a 90 min. ice session and will focus on 1-1's.

Wednesday is an hour on ice and will play games such as full ice baggo with either 2 touches or 1". One pass in each zone etc. The games will teach the players to support and to play with good habits.

Thursday we will have a 75 minute game preparation practice and work on individual and team defensive techniques along with team offensive concepts.

Every practice has skating and individual skill work at the start.

We have Friday off and play Saturday in Red Deer and Sunday at home.

The first half of the season was for me to get to know the players and how to put them into situations where both they and the team benefit. We taught all of the system things and the big ideas. The second half we will focus on the DETAILS and now I have the players on set lines and am using two lines for the pplay and the other line plays all other situations. The centre on the checking line plays the point on the pplay as well.

Some players are so much more effective at certain positions. The checking centre does a good job there and got 3 goals playing the point on the pp and one on a semi breakaway when she came out of the box. Another player has scored 4 in the last two weekends after she moved to left wing on a line with two good offensive players. That is why I experiment a lot to look for chemistry the first half of the season.

I don't know if it is just a season fluctuation but since we have changed the lines we have scored 25 goals in our last 4 games. The pp has been especially good scoring half the goals. I taught the girl's the basic rotation that Billy Moore's used at the U of Alberta against us. We hit the seam between the F and D at the hash and read; 1. skate thru and score or pass back door to the wide wing or D jumping down. 2. If the D pressures thent pass low and that player try to score, give and go or pass to any of the other 3 players. 3. If the forward pressures go high and the D can shoot or move it to the middle and create a diamond pp that can use screen shots or shot passes.

The players have been creating options on their own based on these principles and right now it is working. I hope it continues. We play the best team in the league on Saturday so we will see if it is still working.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

My team did boxing last night.
http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=66 is a 4 minute video of some of the things they did. I had to put it in the files section because it wouldn't load in the video section. It is the first time they did boxing and they had a lot of fun.

It ended up being a good workout. Ran 1000 m. to warm up and then got the safety tips and instruction on stance and some combinations that they rehearsed and then punched into the instructor Dales gloves. They moved on to the hard part doing intervals of punching the heavy bag and sprinting 200 m. They finished with 15 minutes of core work.

Dale was getting a kick out of instructing them because they couldn't stop laughing but he was really impressed with their work ethic.

A good change of pace practice.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Good boxing video!

Thanks!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

It is very difficult to teach players how to play away from the puck. Quick support, give a target, get open, make the easy play, go from offense to defense and defense to offense, 'attack so you can defend and defend so you can attack.'

Teaching Roles One, individual offensive skills, and Role Three, individual defensive skills is much easier because a player can work on these on their own. You need game situations to learn how to read the play and react to the cues to be effective in Game Playing Role Two, the offensive players without the puck and Game Playing Role Four, the defensive players away from the puck.

You can do drills to create some situations that mimic a real game but there is no decisions making. The players know it is a 2-1 or 3-3 etc., so they don't need to read the play and communicate with teammates.

It is important to play SAG and full ice games that create situations that require the players to support on offense and on defense after they have scanned the ice and read what the situation is and then make the appropriate decision.

Last night I worked on close support, facing the puck, giving a target, looking around before you get the puck by playing three full ice games.

Game One:
Full ice game of 8 on 8 with the rule that there must be at least on pass in each zone. We played for 7 minutes and I enforced the rule. The score ended up 0-0 so both teams skated across and back because neither team won.

Game Two:
Full ice game 8 vs 8 of Baggo and the rule of that is that you get 2 touches or one second with the puck. This game requires very quick decision making. Score was 1-0 and the losing team went across and back once.

Game Three:
Full ice game of 4-4 Baggo with 45" shifts, Pass back to the your goalie when the whistle goes to end the shift. The score was 2-1 and the losing team skated one across and back.

These games automatically cause the players to get their heads up, give and go, face the puck, give a target, give close support and a lot of other positive playing habits. Other by products of the games are fitness, fun and competitiveness.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Quote by: TomM

It is very difficult to teach players how to play away from the puck. Quick support, give a target, get open, make the easy play, go from offense to defense and defense to offense, 'attack so you can defend and defend so you can attack.'

Teaching Roles One, individual offensive skills, and Role Three, individual defensive skills is much easier because a player can work on these on their own. You need game situations to learn how to read the play and react to the cues to be effective in Game Playing Role Two, the offensive players without the puck and Game Playing Role Four, the defensive players away from the puck.

You can do drills to create some situations that mimic a real game but there is no decisions making. The players know it is a 2-1 or 3-3 etc., so they don't need to read the play and communicate with teammates.

It is important to play SAG and full ice games that create situations that require the players to support on offense and on defense after they have scanned the ice and read what the situation is and then make the appropriate decision.

Last night I worked on close support, facing the puck, giving a target, looking around before you get the puck by playing three full ice games.

Game One:
Full ice game of 8 on 8 with the rule that there must be at least on pass in each zone. We played for 7 minutes and I enforced the rule. The score ended up 0-0 so both teams skated across and back because neither team won.

Game Two:
Full ice game 8 vs 8 of Baggo and the rule of that is that you get 2 touches or one second with the puck. This game requires very quick decision making. Score was 1-0 and the losing team went across and back once.

Game Three:
Full ice game of 4-4 Baggo with 45" shifts, Pass back to the your goalie when the whistle goes to end the shift. The score was 2-1 and the losing team skated one across and back.

These games automatically cause the players to get their heads up, give and go, face the puck, give a target, give close support and a lot of other positive playing habits. Other by products of the games are fitness, fun and competitiveness.

Agreed!

Good practice Tom.

I have posted more under "Game Intelligence"...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

We practiced the pp last night. We had one goalie and did the game I posted a few days ago in the drills section 8. We had 3 sets of 5 in green, white and red. The rotation is attack-defend-rest at the far end.

Our focus was on the power play but it is easy to emphasize the pk with this rotation instead. We spent 10 minutes using the George Kingston rotation where there is a 5-0 pp going though options at each end and one groups passing in the middle. I blow the whistle one end dumps the puck down to the other end and then does a pp breakout and makes a rush to the original end, then works 5-0 again. The group in the middle goes to the far end and the far end group to the middle. (I had the middle group use the red line on the boards as the goal and do pp options as well. In the 5-0 I want quick puck movement and all 5 players to get shots.

We played a game with the defending team playing without one of their forwards to create a 4-5. One line rests at the far end while one attacks and one defends. On a goal, clear or frozen puck the resting team gets the puck and attacks vs the team who just attacked and the team that defended waits at the far end for their turn to attack. Forwards rotate who doesn't pk.

If you want to practice the breakout and forecheck the resting players could stand along the boards in the nzone and do a controlled breakout when the puck is shot down again.

The key points I gave for the pplay were; 'either you or the puck moves and I want a pass or shot every 2". We start our pp by attacking the seam at the hash marks between the F and D. they have three options.
1. Skate between them and shoot or pass to the F on that side or the D coming back door.
2. If the D pressures pass low and head to the net. the low player can score or pass to any of the other 4 players or if those options aren't there then cycle through the seam again.
3. If the F pressures then pass to the point and the D can shoot, go to the middle and set up a high triangle, or pass right back if the pk f denies these options. When the puck is in the middle I want one F screening and one on the left for a shot pass tip in (Right if the d shoots right) and the high triangle down to near the dots.)

If the pk uses a passive box then you have a 3-2 on the strong side and 2-1 at each corner of the box so you can basically do anything you want. Just move the puck quickly and create 2-1's and get the puck on the net for rebounds, tips, screen shots.

The game rotation is attack-defend-rest and it can be used for all numerical situations. (it is a lot easier to practice team play with a college or pro team that has 20 skaters but this rotation would be good for those levels as well because the units would stay together and get some rest between reps)

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Met with Mike Mondin, coach of Canada's National Sledge Hockey Team, this morning for coffee. Mike was my A/C in the early 1990's with Team Kootenay U 17 (male) and Team BC. He has coached at many levels (Jr. A, etc.) and is an excellent coach. He teaches 'shop class' in Trail BC, at the local high School. We haven't had a face-to-face for about 4-5 years, so it was great to reconnect! His daughter is living and working in Calgary now, so I hope to have more opportunities to visit with him here in the future.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/174344/la_id/1.htm

Mike shared some interesting tidbits and some challenges / differences between coaching sledge hockey and 'regular' hockey.

1) The players don't all 'follow' hockey, like watch it on TV / go to games / stay informed on the hockey news... some never played hockey EVER before their injury, so their anticipation and game sense is limited. Mike and the staff are trying to encourage more 'watching' of hockey games. One player watches NHL.com every night. He watches ALL of the goals scored every night to try to get better. (Mike is trying to encourage more of a shooting mentality in all of his players.)

2) Most play video games (hockey) and this might become more of a training tool.

3) The sport seems to be in it's infancy regarding tactical play. The coach has to modify 'how' and 'what' they teach to match the specialized needs of the equipment and level of the players. Canada is working on cycling, anticipating the rim and pinching, triangulation, etc. When sledge hockey first started, players seemed to do lots of 'looping' around. Mike is trying to implement more of a 'start and stop' mentality, especially in the D-Zone. The curriculum is very progressive (seems to be primarily old-school drills though) and will take time to implement - measured in years as the sport grows. Bringing new players in every year makes it necessary to go back and review previously taught concepts - so this slows things down.

4) The coach can't skate backwards on the ice during practice and even if he shoulder checks, he might not see the players as they are so low! He needs to stay along the boards, facing the inside of the rink at all times... safety!

5) The equipment is evolving rapidly. From Kevlar protective material that can be put into 'pockets' in underwear... when the body warms up, the Kevlar molds to the skin and hardens, to prevent puncture and slash wounds (from the specialized picks on the end of each stick... (6 on each stick as $25 each!). The stick technology is changing similarly to 'regular' hockey - wood to Kevlar to carbon fibre, with inserts, etc! Even the picks on the ends of the sticks evolve... materials, angles, shape, etc. Not to mention the 'buckets' they sit in... runners, sharpening, angles, width of blades (there are two on each bucket), etc. Sounds like 'secret' technology is in development, much like with Bobsled / Luge.

6) Some players prefer their two blades to be closer together; which allows for tighter turns. Others like them farther apart as this takes less energy to balance the bucket. Interesting continuum! This could be individual preference and also somewhat dependent on position.

7) When they are on the bench, even with the clear plexiglass boards, the players' view of the ice is limited; so Mike and the coaches can't say, "Look at what Jim is doing out there... good job Jim!" as the players can't see it! Mike has to take mental notes, talk later, and use video to supplement the key stuff he sees on the ice.

8) They don't overload guys with video, but they do supplement their written technical curriculum (systems) with video clips from the National Junior Team and their own team. They task the guys to pair up and perform scouting reports on other countries as a way to enhance the depth of understanding. They also use YouTube as a teaching tool. They post video using a hidden link; so the players can log on to see certain clips.

9) Body weight (relative strength), core and upper body strength are keys. The therapist says, "Arms shouldn't be used for legs!" so there are structural / fitness / recovery considerations different than 'regular' hockey. Some players need to lose body weight to become more effective; while others need to put on muscle mass to get quicker (more explosive.)

10) Since most guys have some sort of paralysis in the legs, they don't feel pain in their lower extremities. They can accidentally cut or puncture themselves with their picks; or get 'stuck' by opponents on the outside of the legs / stumps... these could get infected / cause blood loss. After every game, they need to check to make sure any cuts are wrapped and disinfected. More protective apparel is being created to help prevent this. Because arms and the upper body aren't as 'big' as legs, they fatigue easier / quicker.

11) Most guys live around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) but some guys are spread out all over the country. They just started a senior sledge hockey league, as the local Ontario league wouldn't let National Team players participate in it because 'they are too good! So on the positive side, they get about 16 games in this new league per year. (It is tough to find leagues of any sort to play in!) The geographic distances between players; the lack of leagues or options to play for people in smaller centres; requisite availability to specialized medical attention; budgets, etc. make 'distance learning' and occasional training camps the best solutions to overcome these challenges. Centralized teams have it far easier.

These are some of the more interesting things I picked up in my conversation with Mike. He has a copy of Tom's book and is looking forward to reading it (and checking out this web site.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Here's an article about Sledge Hockey... thought this would be a better place for it (than the "Articles" thread) based on the post above. I am taking my boy to the game and he is pretty excited!

Dean

-----

Canada, U.S. primed for sledge hockey final:
If round-robin meeting is any indication, we're in for a doozy

John Down, Calgary Herald, December 2, 2011

U.S. coach Jeff Sauer politely described it as a dogfight. The Canadian players thought it was fun.

Those were the thoughts Wednesday following Canada’s hard-fought, 3-1 decision over their bitter rivals in the final round-robin game of the World Sledge Hockey Challenge at WinSport’s Arena A.

On Saturday, the championship bragging rights are on the line and it certainly figures to be every bit of a dogfight again.

“It’s always intense against the U.S.,” grinned Canadian veteran winger Brad Bowden. “We’re going to come out full guns blazing. They really got the jump on us in the first period when we played them last time and I don’t know if that’s going to happen again.

“We’ve kind of found our groove . . . I think it’s going to be a heckuva game and we’re going to have a lot of fun playing it.”

The final will feature the world’s top two teams. The U.S. has won the past two world championships, the Canadians are defending Challenge champions. Both are building toward the 2014 Winter Olympics. Both brushed aside Norway and Japan in the round robin and semifinal games of this tournament.

The line of Bowden, captain Greg Westlake and centre Anthony Gayle have been blue-chippers for Canada throughout the tournament. Bowden and Westlake broke through for six points apiece (three goals, three assists each) during a 9-2 romp Thursday over Japan in a semifinal.

They also did most of the offensive damage in that 3-1 win over the U.S. behind a generally solid team effort.

What makes the trio effective is their speed but the U.S., which will send out the youngest roster with an average age of 23, showed it can skate with the Canadians and aren’t shy about exchanging punishing checks.

“When our line breaks out of the neutral zone with speed, I think we’re tough to stop,” said Westlake. “When we get into having to retrieve pucks all night, waste energy, we’re less effective.

“We just have to keep having fun. We’ve shown we’re a good team when we get on a roll so we have to make sure we get on that roll right away. If we come out and jump on them, then I’ll have a great feeling about the game.”

Winger Kevin Rempel popped two goals in a three-point game against Japan but he’s a gritty sort who loves to mix it up, the kind of game he fully expects against the U.S.

“I love that rivalry,” he said. “When I play the U.S., it’s definitely some of my most fun games to play because they’re so intense, so much emotion involved. I can’t wait.

“It usually comes down to who wants it bad enough. We have to go in there and bust our butts, work hard, dig for pucks. We have to come out swinging and get the win.”

Japan, the 2010 Olympic silver medallist and winless through four games here, will play Norway for the bronze medal.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I'll tell you what, this sledge hockey is something else! I attended the last half of the game with my son (Calgary and parts of Alberta got hit by a winter storm today which pretty much shut down lots of roads... we were coming back from out of town this afternoon.) He was mesmerized by the crowd, the new rink and the game. (After the game, we had a chance to say hi to the coach, Mike Mondin, and my boy got an autographed hockey card from Adam Dixon - he was thrilled!)

I must admit, I was absolutely blown away by the skill and speed and aggression on the ice. I saw an open ice hit that would have made Scott Stevens shed a tear! Two or three 'almost' fights - if you can picture two guys strapped into their buckets, chucking them. Crazy body checks where both guys get lifted into the air and land upside down... having to roll over and bunny hop back upright onto their skate edges! Wow! You can call me a 'convert' - next time there is another sledge hockey match of this calibre, I will be there!

What a game! Hats off to both teams.

-----

Determined Canadian squad wins world challenge
Canucks rebound from early deficit to beat U.S. 4-1 in sledge hockey

By John Down, Calgary Herald, December 3, 2011

Canada took a large dose of fortitude, then used a reliable one-two punch to defeat the United States 4-1 Saturday and claim its second straight World Sledge Hockey Challenge championship at WinSport Arena A.

Down 1-0 and on the penalty kill before the second minute, the Canadians held off a determined bunch of reigning world champions through the opening 20 minutes before turning the tables in a game that was filled with board-rattling, body-tingling hits from start to finish.

“That first goal kind of took a bit of wind out of our sails,” admitted winger Brad Bowden, who scored once and set up linemate Greg Westlake for three goals. “It was like, ‘oh my God, is it going to be one of those games?’ But our coaching staff was great, got us back on track, got a lot of guys thinking positive again, including myself.

“That was a good wakeup call for us. We went back to work, stuck to what we know and it paid off.”

Norway, behind the two-goal outing of Audin Bakke and three assists of Morton Vaernes, defeated Japan 5-3 for the bronze medal earlier in the day.

Bowden, who finished the four-country tournament with a leading 15 points, was the Energizer Bunny throughout as he constantly dug pucks off the boards to feed Westlake, the event’s leading sniper with seven goals among 14 points.

The 28-year-old Bowden, of Orton, Ont., also drove in the dagger when he took the puck off a faceoff at the U.S. blueline and broke in alone to make it 4-1 at 5:20 of the third period.

“He’s an incredible player,” said Westlake. “That fourth goal was the biggest of the game, iced the game for us.”

Westlake cancelled Taylor Lipsett’s flukey goal that came 53 seconds into the game with a one-timer off a setup from Bowden at 14:44 in a period that was pretty much dominated by the U.S. But it wasn’t nearly the kind of domination that Canada flounted through the final 40 minutes.

“The guys played hard . . . everybody says they stuck to the game plan, but we did,” said Canadan head coach Mike Mondin. “We didn’t waver from it at all. They got some momentum, we were patient, kept battling back and got in the groove.”

Westlake scored the only goal of the second period and opened scoring in the third. Canada held a 19-14 edge in shots on goal with both Benoit St-Amand in the Canadian net and Steve Cash for the U.S. making some clutch saves.

But there were few answers for Westlake and Bowden, who were coming off a tournament record-equalling six points apiece during Thursday’s 9-2, semifinal win over Japan.

“Once we got the lines rolling a little bit and stayed out of the box, we just had to keep the pressure, keep the pressure and fortunately a couple went in the net,” said Westlake, a 25-year-old from Oakville, Ont. “We were waiting for that game all week.”

Canada defeated the quick, young Americans 3-1 in the final game of the round-robin and head coach Jeff Sauer was much more critical of his troops, who were skunked on five power plays, in this one.

“I was very disappointed in our performance,” said the former long-time Wisconsin Badgers head coach. “Give all the credit to Canada because they took advantage of our mistakes. They’re a good team, all the pressure was on them and they rose to the challenge and came out and did a good job.

“I certainly was not satisfied or pleased with the way our team played. We showed a lack of discipline, we didn’t move the puck the way we can. It was a good learning experience and hopefully we grow from this.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

We play a 32 game regular season. There are 12 teams in the Province and 2 divisions. We play the other 5 teams in our division 4 times each and the 6 teams in the northern division 2 times for 32 games.

I used the 2 pre season games and the first 16 league games to learn about my players and establish our systems and teach good playing habits and skills. We had 11 F and 4 D and the 2 G split the games. I tried 6 different F's on D and finally found 2 that are ok playing back and both are great skaters.

Five games ago we went to 3 set lines and set D pairings. Yesterday we started using 3 sets of 5 player units.

We use two of the lines on the pp and the centre on the other line moves to D to make two pp D sets. We use these specialty teams when the game is close and just roll if we are 3 or 4 in front. It has made a huge difference to the game results in both GA and GF. More of each.

The league doesn't post specialty team stats, so I have taken the scoresheets to see where the goals are coming from.

First Five Games of the second half.

Scores:
6-4
8-4
6-0
3-4
5-2

GF - 28 GA - 14

PP GF - 11/40 - 27.5%

PK GA - 2/40 - PK% - 95%

SH GF - 2/40 SH GA - 0/40

13 of 28 GF on Spectialty Teams - 46%

Even Strength GF - 15, GA -9

We are playing at 60% with a 12-8-1 record. We have beaten everyone in our division at least once.

It has been a softer part of our schedule with 3 of the 5 games vs teams below .500.

This week we have.
Monday off
Tues. - 90 min. practice.
Wed.- 8 hr bus ride to Regina
Th-Fri-Sat-Sun - play about 5 games in the Notre Dame tournament. Our pool has a team from Winnipeg, Vancouver, Notre Dame and then there is a cross over vs the other 3 pools of 4 teams.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom, I do NOT envy your Wednesday!

Or your Thursday - Sun and the return trip home!

Say Hi to Del Pedrick for me - an old friend, he is the Director of Hockey Development at Notre Dame.

Best of luck... let me know if you need a replacement coach for the HCSA while you are gone... I could run some games with the other teacher, schedule permitting!
------------------------------------------

Thanks for the offer Dean. Gaston is doing a skating session with them on Friday.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

We arrived in Regina about an hour ago and the tournament starts tomorrow. the schedule looks like this.

Thursday - morning game vs. Winnipeg and afternoon game vs Vancouver.

Friday - Play the host Notre Dame Hounds.

Sat. and Sunday - teams go into pools according how they finished in their pool. There are 4 pools of 4 teams and there will be a first place pool, second place pool etc..

The pools have one seeding game and one pool champ game. So 5 games in 4 days.

I have to see if my top scorer is cleared to play. She got a cheap shot to the head on Sunday.
-----------------------------
At last nights 90 minute practice there was a goaltending coach so I modified the practice so he could have an hour with the two goalies.

- Nervous System overload - 2 puck warm up - carry two pucks at once and pass 2 pucks at once.
- Balance and edges rotuine while carrying a puck.
- practice going back for a puck just inside the blue line - shoulder check - get puck and turn up ice and pass to partner. Switch.
- partner passing - saucer pass, backhand pass, take a pass skate by partner and then turn and pass back to partner.
- Murdoch breakout routine with the wing up against the D. Start with one D and then two D.
- D with Sean to work on tight gaps and F with me to work on angling wide and in the middle.

Goalies finished.
DT100 tansition game with active support from the point. We played this for about 6 minutes and then added the rule that the attackers must regroup with the new supporting players before entering the offensive zone. (there was no whistle) this was to practice the tight gaps that Sean had just worked on.

We finished with a 2 shot shootout.

Lots of coaching details that we have identified need work. We play 5 games so we don't need a lot more. The goalies requested a goalie coach come out as oour GC has been on a beach somewhere the last 3 weeks.
-----------------------------------

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Notre Dame Tournament Update:

Game Played the Winnipeg Avros today who are avery good team. We scored on the first shift 12 seconds into the game and then it was up and down for 40 minutes. We seemed to wear them down with the constant pressure and won 5-2. We got 4 even strength and 1 shorthanded goal and they got 2 even strength. Our pp was moving the puck and getting shots but no goals.

Game two vs Vancouver Fusion:

We outshot them 20-3 the first period and had a 2-0 lead. In the second we got lots of shots but tied the period 1-1 so even though they hardly had the puck the score was 3-1 after two and the shots about 32-7. We again dominated the third but they scored on a careless turnover at our blueline and then they scored again with 17" left on a shot from the corner against the boards that our goalie misplayed. So we ended with a 3-3 tie ousthooting them 52-11. We got 1 pp and 2 even strength goals and they got 3 even strength.

We really couldn't have played much better but what happens is that when you are totally dominating a game the feeling is that you are up by about 5 goals and some carelessness creeps in and players lose a little intensity. I think we have all been in games you lose that you deserve to win and games that you win that you deserve to lose. After the first period I told my asst. coach that I had a bad feeling about the game. We played so hard in our first game of the day that we just weren't hungry enough on rebounds or walk ins to finish. When you have seen thousands of games you start to see patterns like a chess master when he looks at the chess board and recongnize that somehting is amiss. I am to the point now that I can predict a goal about 3-5 seconds before because you see either the defense out of sync or the attackers creating something.

Their goalie had a great game and we didn't finish when we had many many chances. That is the problem with letting teams hang around even though the game is one sided. It is a real challenge for the goalie to keep focused when they are getting a shot every 5 or 6 minutes.

The end result is that we have to beat Notre Dame today in order to be in the top group the championship round. They are 2-0 winning 8-0 and 8-4 vs the same two teams. We know they were beaten earlier in the season by the top team in our league which we are 1-1-1 with. The tie would effect our ranking if we lose.

This is a good tournament with lots of college and university recruiters from both Canada and the USA. My captain who is a Lidstrom like D got kicked in the lower shin with a skate in game one and is in a lot of pain with the shin pad pushing on the bone bruise; so it is hard for her to showcase everything she usually does. We need to make her a big donut to relieve the pressure. She says it only hurts when she skates. Any suggestions are welcome.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Good comments! I will post more thoughts under the Game Intelligence thread.

Good luck against Notre Dame. I have bookmarked the schedule / results page and will be watching. I will be attending the AWG tryouts at Winsport this weekend. Several of my girls in my Skill Academies are trying out. I imagine that Keenan girl you train will also be there.

Here's hoping you beat ND!

--------------------------
Dean, commenting on your comment of why we didn't score more. We do have a lot of competitions in practice. We never stopped working and averaged 17-18 shots a period to ther 3-4. Our goalie didn't have a good game they have the Team BC goalie who stoned us. It is natural to have the feeling that you are winning by a lot when you are totally dominating the play.(Canada - Czech 98 Olympics when Hasek won it even though Canada dominated the entire game.) Everyone has bad games and our goalie was very good vs Notre Dame the next day.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Notre Dame beat us 5-2. they are National Champions and have no weak players. Tied 0-0 after one 2-1 after two and the second was played even but they blocked a lot of shots and scored on two chances. They scored another and we got a bad break when my last player was handling the puck under no real pressure and it hit some bad ice and hopped over her stick. The top player in the tournament picked it up and went in on a breakaway and when she pulled it to her backhand it hopped over her stick and slid thru the 5 hole. We sagged and they scored a quick one. Then the game was up and down again. Just too much talent to match when both teams are working hard. We would have to out energy them and there was no glycogen left.

I would have liked to play them the first game when we had a lot of jump and got over 90 shots in two games. Maybe next tournament.

My top scorer and one of the top three players in this tournament was getting headaches and when I found out she was taking tylenol I told her dad I don't want her to play until she is checked for a concussion. She sat out yesterdays game. My goalie has a bad shoulder and also sat out so we used the goalie we borrowed from the Notre Dame AA team and lost 3-1 to the Bruins in our league. They got an empty netter with about 20 seconds left. I just rolled the 3 lines and D. We have beaten them the last two league games.

They had a good skills competition with fastest skater, 3 players and a goalie from each team in team shootout and a shooting accuracy contest. the players got all dressed up in team colours and face paint to cheer on their players in the competition. They have a lot of fun.

It is very different coaching girl's as my team broke into 4 groups and each made a Gingerbread house and then had all of the parents and coaches come in to vote for the best one. I can't remember any boy's or men's team I have coached doing this. They really enjoy themselves. That and the group singing on the bus are some of the differences.

We finished second in our group so we are in the top 8 of the 16 team tournament. Today we play Weyburn Sask.. I will move my best D to centre and go with 5 D.

Probably get home around midnight.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

We finished with a game vs Weyburn, Saskatchewan. It was a back and forth affair. I experimented with different D playing forward and it wasn't a good idea to put my best D up. We played well but fell behind 2-0 after the first. We rallied and scored 3 in the second to lead 3-2. We started the third really well and scored at the end of a long power play where they were 2 short for a minute and a half and one player got a 4 minute. We had the puck in there end the whole time. With 5 minutes to go we led 4-2 and I thought we would just put the game to bed.

They came at us with a 5 man forecheck and some of my D panicked and tried to jam it up the boards into the pressure and they made it 4-3. Then they got a pplay and the same thing happened when a F got total possession and instead of moving it away from pressure she tried to shoot it out from below the goal line thru all their players. they kept it in and tied it. They kept coming and won a battle on the boards and scored on a long shot from the point that went thru the goalie we borrowed to back up. It was the only weak one she let in and they won 5-4. Total collapse of confidence on our part.

We got 3 pplay goals to their one. During the tournament our pplay was really good as was our pk. About 30% pp and 95% pk. It was a great tournament and we finished 8 out of 16. It was invitational and we got the call; so the teams were very good. Notre Dame won the tournament. We have to figure out who to use to replace our top scorer and make sure they understand how to play a new positon. She is going to see a concussion doctor today and we will find out details. My goalie didn't play the last two because of a chronic bad shoulder and she needs to go see a doctor as well. My other goalie was at a Team Alberta tryout.

This week.
Monday - off
Tuesday - 90 min ice
Wed - spin
Thurs. - 75 min. ice
Friday - 75 min. ice. Scrimmage with all players, coaches and any family member over 12 who plays.
Sat. - at Lloydminster
Sun. - at Lloydminster

Sean my D coach and I talked about how to get them to calm down under pressure. We are going to try having a line play against 8 players who overload the strong side and get them to move the puck to the other side. On all the goals against in our collapse a simple D to D would have set up an easy breakout.

That is why going to tournaments vs good teams is great. It exposes your team weaknesses while there is still time to correct them.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

At our 90 min practice n Tuesday the players seemed a little burned out mentally and physically after playing 5 intense games in 4 days. I also found out that our spin class was cancelled and we were doing weights on Wednesday instead. I wanted the spin for clearing out the lactic acid and aerobic conditioning.

I changed my practice plan and replaced it with an aerobic and competitive practice.

10 min. - balance and edges routine with no pucks.

Games with various kinds of pucks and balls and rings. All the players and coaches play all of the games and everyone is on the ice. 8 vs 8. (2 players sick) Losing team skate a circle for every goal they are behind.

15 min. - game of ringuette with the rule that you must pass before crossing a blue line.

10 min. - game with a hockey ball (it broke in half near the end)

10 min. - game with a tennis ball.

10 min. - game with a heavier rubber ball filled with air.

10 min. - game with a wiffle ball that has a small garbage bag stuffed inside to keep it from bouncing too much.

10 min. - game with a modified puck, hard rubber on the inside and soft on the outside.

15 min. - game with a regular puck.

It was a good workout for the players and coaches as everyone moved the whole time.

Wednesday we did the weights and core workout and the player we thought may have a concussion was cleared to play as she has had no symptoms while exercising.

Today we will have a practice focusing on quickness and good habits and Friday we have a family scrimmage that I have invited parents and siblings over 12 who play hockey to attend. After we are going to a pizza place. We leave Saturday morning for our two game road trip.

Yesterday there was a press conference to announce the schedule and teams for the Mac's tournament which is really big for the players and a tradition for hockey fans to watch U18 teams from all over. On the boy's side there is a Russian and a Czech team as well as some from Eastern Canada. No USA teams this year for some reason.

Our draw is games on the 26-27 the 28th no game and then play the 29 and 30th. You need to basically have no losses to go on to the playoff round. I think we have a good chance to make some noise.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Good call on the change of plans for practice. Are you going to take this into consideration after the Mac's? Coaching is as much of an art as it is science!

I have experienced this too. Coming back from a big tournament, I have found the best thing is to take a few days off, perhaps do an aerobic workout away from the rink, then the first day back on ice, play some different games (practice at a different rink, if possible. Changing the scenery helps!)

I am looking forward to attending some Mac's games to see the Czech and Russian team. They are always interesting to watch! There is also a World Sport School championship on at the same time (what was Hockey Canada thinking?) with the Edge, POE, OHA, Shattuck, Finland and Slovakia U17 teams at Winsport. I will go watch some of those too. Of course, the World Juniors are playing too... (already been to two intrasquad games - John said their practices were 'typical drills - not scoring records kept - the usual hockey crap!' so glad I didn't bother going... we will continue on our crusade to educate coaches!!) so lots of hockey around here this Christmas break! (And with relatives coming to stay here... an excuse to get out of the house and somewhere to go!!!!)

Finished the last 'teaching day' with one of my high school groups today. Next week we will play in a fun 'Transition' tournament (let me know if you want to play Monday at 11 am!) with two teachers playing and the goaltenders switching with two skaters... then we will do one last dryland day later in the week.

Today, we played 2 vs 1 Spartan Box (10 min halves); then sat on the bench while the HS kids played a 3 vs 3 Transition Game 3/4 ice (4 teams) for 25 minutes... after a semester, we have succeeded in creating 'independent athletes'; they know the rules, leadership and sportsmanship required to make decisions on their own. It was wonderful!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

145 posts :: Page 3 of 5