T1-2 Breakouts vs. Checker – TJ
The defender must drive skate when they get the puck and read whether the checker chases behind, goes in front etc. Skate at a 45 degree angle to the net to make the checker cross-over and decide to wheel, go(cut back) or couter.
1. Shoot the puck into the corner and the coach or player gives pressure.
2. Shoulder check and read inside pressure then skate at a 45 degree angle toward the net to make the checker cross-over.
3. Tight turn away from pressure and pass to a player on the boards who passes to another player at the point who shoots.
4. Counter by skating behind the net and out the same way if the checker doesn’t chase behind.
5. Read if the checker is taking away the middle or the boards and pass to the open player.
6. Use a backhand pass if you need to miss the defenders stick in the passing lane or to protect the puck from a checker.
7. Quick feet make everything possible. If everyone is covered then carry the puck up the middle.