Subject: Diary of a Season 2011-2012: The Plan

Posted on: March 13 2011 @ 05:10 PM
By: Kai K

Content:

I'm really interested to hear and learn how other coaches plan their next year / season. So maybe this topic could be a place where you can share your approach to season planning.

On season 2011-2012 I'll be head coach of a U15-team (born 1997). This group is quite challenging for a few reasons.
1. Biological age, majority of boys seems to be -4 years from the average. But on the positive side it gives us more time to work with their skills
2. Athletism, generally amount of training is low. Do we have adequate skills base.
3. Lack of playing games. (And I mean any games soccer, basketball and hockey etc.)

Our focus is on games and learning by games on-ice and off-ice. We want to find ways to do blend our skills training into games.
Off-ice training is focused by physical development periods. At age of 12 to 15 years kids have great response to speed, elasticity and speed strength training. Also aerobic condition development period starts and last to age 20 years. Also we want to develop their flexibility. Goal is long-term development.

There is some background to my season planning. I'll try to update my progression here if you are interested. It would be great to hear some your ideas and approaches

Replies:

Re: Diary of a Season 2011-2012: The Plan

Posted on: March 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
By: hockeygod

Content:

Good new topic Kai! I will add to this post in the future... might be on what I did in the past with different levels as I am not coaching a team per se - then readers can extrapolate some themes for their own use.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
By: zhuyifan1129

Content:

more spam to eliminate

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 11:25 AM
By: Koutsi97

Content:

Good topic Kai! I'll be looking for your plan and hopefully be able to add to this post in the future. Not yet 100 percent sure but seems I could be coaching the U15 also next season.

Posted on: March 15 2011 @ 08:24 PM
By: DaveM

Content:

I agree, great topic!

I thought about asking you guys how you plan out your seasons a little while ago, but I know all of you have shared this info before to some extent. I'll give it a shot this year and welcome any feedback. More to come later this week....

Posted on: March 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM

Content:

Koutsi97

Is it my aging eyes, or is the lion in your avatar drinking a tiny beer?

Hmmmm... maybe NOT. Hmmmph. I suggest you ask Kai for some photoshop help to rectify that situation... or get a picture of you drinking a BIG BEER!!!

OK now that I set you straight, let's get back to planning the 2011-2012 season. Please include the pertinent details at the start - the age / level / number of athletes (by position) / number of on vs off-ice practices per week / how many staff members will you have / etc.

Looking forward to it gents!

Posted on: March 17 2011 @ 07:18 AM

Content:

Quote by: hockeygod

Hmmmm... maybe NOT. Hmmmph. I suggest you ask Kai for some photoshop help to rectify that situation... or get a picture of you drinking a BIG BEER!!!

I'm working on that picture but there usually nobody to take pictures when I drink my beer (I like this Finnish Karhu olut - Bear Beer).

Next season:
Level: Travel/AAA (hard to say, there are no that kind of levels here, or is there Kai?)
Goalies: 2-3, Defense: 8-9, Offense: 12-13
Off-ice: 2-4 (not planned yet)
On-ice: 3-4 (not planned yet)
Coach: 2-3 (2 for skaters, one for goalies)

Last series game tonight and then some sort of "playoffs" - "final four" in couple weeks, after one months we will have a tournament near Praha (Chech). Then tryouts and new season starts...

Posted on: March 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM

Content:

Koutsi97,

If you drink alone, that is a sign of alcoholism.... Wink

If you are like Tom and myself, I am sure you have some fellow coaches who like to have a pint of beer to discuss some tactical points, seasonal planning, no?!!!

Posted on: March 18 2011 @ 05:01 AM

Content:

Koutsi97,
If you drink alone, that is a sign of alcoholism.... Wink
If you are like Tom and myself, I am sure you have some fellow coaches who like to have a pint of beer to discuss some tactical points, seasonal planning, no?!!!

I think I'm quite far from that, I don't have the time to become one :-). I understand your point but I think it is not habit here to take picture while drinking, it's not even habit of having a discussion while having some beers ;-). We actually talked about next season and the plan for it after the last night's game but you don't drink at the rink, no, no...

We are building our coaching team still, I'm not even sure if I'm needed there, so details to come later...

Posted on: March 24 2011 @ 07:53 PM

Content:

(quick update)

Starting to get ready with the "big picture".

I really want us to play and learn to play smart. All out the year we want to keep the focus in the game. Surely we need to learn skills and get strenght etc. but make these exercises in the game as much as we can.

I have divided the season (year) in 10 periods. 8 periods 5 weeks long and 2 periods 6 weeks long. Each period has it's own focus in 5 categories; skills elements (e.g. balance, sense of rhythm, mobility etc.), hockey skills, physique, tactics, and mental qualities.

Maybe if i have time i'll try to translate the period plan sheet to english.

Posted on: March 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM

Content:

I should have more time to contribute to this topic later next week... If you have time to translate some of the big picture Kai, that would be interesting to see!

Check list

Posted on: March 30 2011 @ 01:16 PM
By: TomM

Content:

I will throw in my 2 cents worth here.

I am reading a book called "The Checklist Manfesto-How to Get Things Right" by Atul Gwande. He is a surgeon but gives examples how checklists are used in contruction and by pilots to get things right.

It has to be very specific and step by step when building something like an office tower that needs supporting structures before the floor is put in etc. In rushed situations like before a game a short To Do list is best.

A season plan is more like putting up a building but because it is working with people it is not so linear. Game understanding needs to compliment the skills. So what and how is only going to give you robotic players. Why, when and where need to be part of the plan.

George Kingston who was Dean of PE at the U of Calgary and head hockey coach, has been all over the world and a long time NHL asst. coach is a very inductive person. In his hockey coaching course he had a checklist of all the skills needed by a player. These were skating, puck handling, shooting etc. but not game understanding skills.

The list was down the sheet with check boxes on the right and the date worked on at the top. Each practice George would check off the skills worked on and the list became an easy way to keep track of the things you have done and the things that need to get done.

Maybe we could expand on this idea here by listing the skating skills, checking skills, puck handling skills etc. but also the team play concepts, good playing habits and game understanding needed.

So what are the physical and intellectual skills needed. After this what tools can the coach use to practice these skills. So drills for individual and team offensive and defensive play, SAG's, transition games etc.

What are the age appropriate building blocks?

Posted on: March 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM

Content:

Tom,

Thanks for the book title. What do you think of the book? Is it worthwhile?

I remember George's checklists. I still have them in a binder. Great idea to add physical / intellectual / thinking skills, etc. to them - and by age.

Coincidentally, but I created a document for the NWCAA in the late 1980's that I called a "Skills Consistency Program." I used George's checklist model and broke it down by age (Pee Wee, Bantam, Midget, Junior), showing progressions - but at that time, I didn't include the mental or physical components - it was all individual skills / Individual tactics / team tactics / systems based. After far too many hours of research and design, I presented it to the NW, they were to hand it out to the coaches at the respective age levels the following year, and then follow up with them (mentor the coaches) and then ... nothing! The Board members moved on or did not get re-elected, so the impetus for change died. I don't know if they even handed them out to the coaches. It was pretty long - 20 + pages - and I remember I did it on a typewriter! I think I have a hard copy somewhere in my files; but I will let someone else take a run at this one!

I will be interested in seeing what people come up with!
-------------------------------
Dean I finished the book this morning and really enjoyed it. Lots of thought provoking ideas. Even if we made short check lists of what to cover before a game, what to have on hand for practicing and the roles of everyone involved. Start with the obvious (like did I leave the scissors in the patients stomach) and make it more specific in longer range plans.

Even the Old Timer tournament in St. Albert last month. The defibruator was gone for repairs. You have divisions over 70 and there is no defib machine. Someone should have used a check list. The goalie who died probably would have appreciated it.

Posted on: April 04 2011 @ 08:11 PM

Content:

Here's a Junior hockey perspective on planning. They are operating on a 3-4 year 'cycle' where in minor hockey, it is year to year or a 2-year cycle, at best.

Soetaert admits it's time to rebuild Silvertips
After a lackluster 2010-11 campaign, the Tips' GM says it's time to get back to basics and build for the long term.

By Nick Patterson, Herald writer Published: Sunday, April 3, 2011

EVERETT -- The term "rebuilding" has been taboo in these parts since the Everett Silvertips began play in 2003. From Day 1 Everett announced its intention to be as competitive as possible each and every year, with making the playoffs the minimum requirement.

It's an indication of Everett's situation that Tips general manager Doug Soetaert is finally willing to utter the "R" word.

Coming off a disappointing 2010-11, the Tips are admitting the 2011-12 season will be a rebuilding one in Everett.

"We've been reloading and reloading and reloading every year because we wanted to make the playoffs," said Soetaert, who acknowledged over-projecting this season's team. "But at some point in time it was going to catch up to us, and honestly it's caught up to us. So the new word is 'rebuilding,' not 'reloading.'

"We're all on the same page. The owners, Craig (Hartsburg, Everett's coach), myself, we're all on the same page with what has to be done here."

The Tips are coming off a disappointing season in which they went 28-33-7-4, finished eighth in the Western Conference and were swept by Portland in the first round of the playoffs.

With the limited resources at the team's disposal for next season, the Tips are gearing up for the long term rather than the short term.

"We're going to have to battle next year to make the playoffs," Soetaert said. "But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I like what we've got with our young guys who were here this year. We'll be hard working. That's what we want, a team that shows that consistent work ethic."

With the rebuild comes a different philosophy in how to assemble a roster. This season's team included several core players who were acquired via trade within the past 18 months, including its captain (Landon Ferraro) and all three overagers (Clayton Cumiskey, Chad Suer, Parker Stanfield). Going forward the Tips are committed to building from within and re-establishing their own brand.

"We can't continue to bring other people's players in to win a championship every year," Soetaert said. "It catches up to you. You have to get back to creating your identity and bringing your players through your system."

Everett has two tremendous pieces to begin the building process in defenseman Ryan Murray and goaltender Kent Simpson. Murray, who will be an 18-year-old, is already being talked about as a top-10 pick in the 2012 NHL draft. Simpson, who will be 19, should be a rock in net in his second season as the outright No. 1, especially after weathering the adjustment to full-time duties and emerging stronger.

But where will the goals come from? Everett finished dead last in the Western Conference in goals this season with 171. Winger Tyler Maxwell, Everett's lone consistent source of offense this season with 41 goals, should be back as an overager. But there isn't a whole lot beyond that, and the Tips don't have the kind of can't-miss offensive prospects one can expect to make an immediate impact upon arriving in the WHL.

The Tips are hoping an attitude adjustment can help compensate.

"We just have to come together as a group and really be determined as a group to want to win," Simpson said. "Not that we didn't want to win this year, but I think sometimes we had lapses in our dedication to wanting to be an outstanding team, and bringing that every day. I think next year we're going to be expected to work every day we're at the rink. The coaches made it clear that next year is going to be an improvement from this year, and that will be something to look forward to."

Soetaert said all of Everett's returning players, beyond a select few, will be auditioning to retain roster spots.

Everett has six returning players eligible for the three overage roster spots. Soetaert said Maxwell and defenseman Brennan Yadlowski would likely occupy two of those. Ferraro and defenseman Rasmus Rissanen both are strong candidates to play professionally next season, but could be returned. Forwards Josh Birkholz and Scott MacDonald are the others in contention.

As for newcomers, the status of Everett's highest-profile prospect is still up in the air. Defenseman Seth Jones, a first-round bantam pick in 2009 and the son of former NBA player Popeye Jones, is currently playing for the U.S. National Team Development Program. He has yet to commit either to the Tips or an NCAA school.

Everett has a large number of other 1994-born prospects -- 17-year-olds next season -- in its system who will be among the candidates for the rebuild. Forwards Kohl Bauml and Jordyn Boyd, defenseman Darian Henry and goaltender Andy Desautels have already signed education contracts with the Tips, with Boyd and Desautels each making their WHL debuts this season during call-ups. Others in the mix include wingers Carson Samoridny and Trent Lofthouse.

Among Everett's 1995-born prospects, center Ryan Chynoweth, the team's top bantam pick from 2010 who's also signed, is the most-likely player to make the team as a 16-year-old.

Posted on: April 05 2011 @ 10:15 AM
By: rcmat

Content:

We already have tryouts coming up for my Tier II mite team. I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization. As for picking a team, one thing I noticed last season is that, among the kids who had already been playing for at least two years, the best skaters improved the most during the season and the weakest skaters improved the least (everyone improved a great deal, though, thanks to the ABCs method of running practices). This surprised me, but most of the experienced coaches on this board, even at the elite levels, appear to put a priority on skating. So, I will be picking a team primarily based on skating ability and on their performance in small area games. As for the season, I intend to keep a heavy emphasis on skating and increase the emphasis on stickhandling with the head up.

Any luck on finding those checklists, Dean?

Posted on: April 05 2011 @ 06:48 PM

Content:

Quote by: rcmat

(1) We already have tryouts coming up for my Tier II mite team. I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization. (2) As for picking a team, one thing I noticed last season is that, among the kids who had already been playing for at least two years, the best skaters improved the most during the season and the weakest skaters improved the least (everyone improved a great deal, though, thanks to the ABCs method of running practices). This surprised me, but most of the experienced coaches on this board, even at the elite levels, appear to put a priority on skating. (3) So, I will be picking a team primarily based on skating ability and on their performance in small area games. As for the season, I intend to keep a heavy emphasis on skating and increase the emphasis on stickhandling with the head up.

(4) Any luck on finding those checklists, Dean?

What is the age of mites?

1) I find your comment about "I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization" interesting. In Calgary, we pick our hockey teams at the end of summer (start tryouts maybe late in August to mid-September) with the elite teams (obviously) finishing their selections first (choose the best first and then the trickle-down effect happens) by late September; but all teams are done by early October. My friend Anthony in Hamilton ON coaches rep or AA / AAA and they choose their teams in May I believe - then they train throughout the summer and start playing exhibition games in September. From my perspective (late choosing teams), it would be neat to try the early way; and for you, it would probably be neat to try it later. Then compare notes to see which is the best way. I am sure there are pros and cons to each. Not sure which is best without experiencing both - and it would be different depending upon the age of the athletes (where they are on the LTAD spectrum).

An early start gives you more time to learn your players personalities / strengths / weaknesses - build team chemistry and gives you a longer time to practice / develop. A later start time allows for individual growth spurts and maturity changes - perhaps this would change the outcome of the team selection process (early vs. late maturers?)

2) I imagine you are using a subjective / anecdotal analysis regarding your determination of who improved more at skating (and which 'elements' of skating are you talking about)? In this case, you are saying the gap is widening between the best and the not so good's... Do you run a battery of timed tests at the start to establish a baseline; then mid-way through the season; then at the end to definitively back this up? (If you don't perhaps consider it this year to see what the results are. Prior to going in, rank your kids from top to bottom - best skater to weakest skater - then run the baseline, midpoint and final tests, then see how the scores compare to your earliest impressions. If you want some ideas / protocol for tests, ask me and I can help you.)

Not saying it doesn't happen or isn't happening; maybe your perception is misleading you? Or maybe the better skaters see they are more successful, so their motivation and self-confidence is greater - leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy? (Could the opposite could be said of the not so good's?) I don't know... you would know best. Just looking for clarification.

The reason I am curious about your statement is because of something called the 'Ceiling Effect' which says that the more proficient one gets, the tougher it is to make progress or the longer it takes to make that progress (experience more plateau's) as we have a 'Ceiling' where we can't ultimately can't get any better / faster / stronger (or it is pretty imperceptible - physiological limitations.) Those who are really bad, stand to have more room to improve, so if they practice the same amount with the same intensity as the better players, they should improve 'more' over the same time period.

3) I like your philosophy on player selection. Prioritize a couple of things you feel are key to 'playing the style' of hockey you believe will lead to success.

How will you evaluate (a) skating ability and (b) individual performance in small area games... and thereby rank players? Curious to hear your thoughts on evaluation. I have been working on this idea for years and would love to hear your insights! Do tell...!!

Remember my mantra: "Execute skills - with the head / eyes up (peripheral vision) - at game speed (use overspeed to go beyond failure so one breaks through their comfort zone) - under pressure (time / score / checking, etc... reward the winners and hold the losers accountable to ensure healthy competition) - consistently (no difference in outlook or performance from practice to games. Compete everywhere, all the time.)"

4) Haven't looked for the checklists. I moved last May and I still have 20 banker's boxes of binders to unpack (actually, I will probably recycle them), but even if I found them, I would have to scan them. My wife has been on my ass to get this done; I must admit, it ain't even on ANY of my numerous lists at this point. Perhaps Tom has a copy that is more readily at hand? (Not to say I won't EVENTUALLY get around to it, but I am swamped right now with 'real life' stuff!!!! If I do, you will be the second to know - my wife will be the first as a guy can always use Brownie Points!)

Posted on: April 06 2011 @ 12:07 AM

Content:

What is the age of mites?

1) I find your comment about "I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization" interesting. In Calgary, we pick our hockey teams at the end of summer (start tryouts maybe late in August to mid-September) with the elite teams (obviously) finishing their selections first (choose the best first and then the trickle-down effect happens) by late September; but all teams are done by early October. My friend Anthony in Hamilton ON coaches rep or AA / AAA and they choose their teams in May I believe - then they train throughout the summer and start playing exhibition games in September. From my perspective (late choosing teams), it would be neat to try the early way; and for you, it would probably be neat to try it later. Then compare notes to see which is the best way. I am sure there are pros and cons to each. Not sure which is best without experiencing both - and it would be different depending upon the age of the athletes (where they are on the LTAD spectrum).

An early start gives you more time to learn your players personalities / strengths / weaknesses - build team chemistry and gives you a longer time to practice / develop. A later start time allows for individual growth spurts and maturity changes - perhaps this would change the outcome of the team selection process (early vs. late maturers?)

2) I imagine you are using a subjective / anecdotal analysis regarding your determination of who improved more at skating (and which 'elements' of skating are you talking about)? In this case, you are saying the gap is widening between the best and the not so good's... Do you run a battery of timed tests at the start to establish a baseline; then mid-way through the season; then at the end to definitively back this up? (If you don't perhaps consider it this year to see what the results are. Prior to going in, rank your kids from top to bottom - best skater to weakest skater - then run the baseline, midpoint and final tests, then see how the scores compare to your earliest impressions. If you want some ideas / protocol for tests, ask me and I can help you.)

Not saying it doesn't happen or isn't happening; maybe your perception is misleading you? Or maybe the better skaters see they are more successful, so their motivation and self-confidence is greater - leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy? (Could the opposite could be said of the not so good's?) I don't know... you would know best. Just looking for clarification.

The reason I am curious about your statement is because of something called the 'Ceiling Effect' which says that the more proficient one gets, the tougher it is to make progress or the longer it takes to make that progress (experience more plateau's) as we have a 'Ceiling' where we can't ultimately can't get any better / faster / stronger (or it is pretty imperceptible - physiological limitations.) Those who are really bad, stand to have more room to improve, so if they practice the same amount with the same intensity as the better players, they should improve 'more' over the same time period.

3) I like your philosophy on player selection. Prioritize a couple of things you feel are key to 'playing the style' of hockey you believe will lead to success.

How will you evaluate (a) skating ability and (b) individual performance in small area games... and thereby rank players? Curious to hear your thoughts on evaluation. I have been working on this idea for years and would love to hear your insights! Do tell...!!

Remember my mantra: "Execute skills - with the head / eyes up (peripheral vision) - at game speed (use overspeed to go beyond failure so one breaks through their comfort zone) - under pressure (time / score / checking, etc... reward the winners and hold the losers accountable to ensure healthy competition) - consistently (no difference in outlook or performance from practice to games. Compete everywhere, all the time.)"

4) Haven't looked for the checklists. I moved last May and I still have 20 banker's boxes of binders to unpack (actually, I will probably recycle them), but even if I found them, I would have to scan them. My wife has been on my ass to get this done; I must admit, it ain't even on ANY of my numerous lists at this point. Perhaps Tom has a copy that is more readily at hand? (Not to say I won't EVENTUALLY get around to it, but I am swamped right now with 'real life' stuff!!!! If I do, you will be the second to know - my wife will be the first as a guy can always use Brownie Points!)

[/p]

Thanks for the reply and comments. Mites are 7-8 y.o.'s (the same as Canadian novice), which is a important piece of context that I left out of my post.

1. Given the young age and other interests/sports, we do not begin training until the third week of August. (This season, I plan to throw in some off ice training sessions including some floorball and some simple routines for practicing stickhandling and shooting on their own.) So, in general the advantage of picking early, in my opinion, is lost to some extent on kids this young. It would be interesting though to try each, though, as you point out, to experience the pros-cons of both. I suspect that the kids would attend more camps and spend more time shooting pucks in the garage over the summer if the tryouts were later. Also, there is the maturing factor that you point out.

2. That's very perceptive -- Yes, I am relying on subjective / anecdotal analysis, and I had already planned to test whether my perceptions had any basis in fact by getting a baseline at tryouts, testing again during team photo day, and again at the end of the season. Basically, there were certain skills that some of the players just couldn't perform, like a two-foot hockey stops on both sides, pivoting from forward to backwards both directions, or skating backwards proficiently. Subjectively speaking, the most agile players at the beginning of the season seemed to improve the most throughout. I don't think the ceiling effect came into play because I think all of them still have a massive capacity for improvement. I think the better athletes/skaters were more comfortable and willing to push themselves to the edge of the envelope and beyond in practice, whereas the lesser skaters were more tentative, perhaps worried about their peers and parents seeing them fall. Also, note that I qualified my statement with skaters that already had a few year's experience -- some of the less good's only had one year of hockey experience but still had huge gains.

As for a battery of tests, I would love to have your suggestions.

3. For the evaluations -- and keep in mind that I have only coached for three years -- I will basically be looking at who the puck tends to gravitate to (SAGs seem to amplify the tendency for the best players to end up with the puck) and who is able to make moves / pass the puck (no one can pass the puck well unless they have the presence of mind to look up). We did a lot of full-ice scrimmaging last year for evals, but it wasn't so helpful as no one plays their position and everyone tries to make end-to-end rushes. Any suggestions or pointers you have would be appreciated. Your mantra / the ABCs made the 2010-11 season a great success. I got a lot of complements from parents and opposing coaches how my players would settle the puck and look before they passed -- something I attribute to a lot of SAGs with modified rules.

I eagerly await your advice on the battery of tests, but I was thinking along the lines of timed skate from goal line to blue line (timed), hockey stop on both sides (subjective), and cross-overs around the circles (timed).

4. No worries. At my wife's urging I finally threw away bankers boxes that had been unopened for three moves.

Evaluations

Posted on: April 06 2011 @ 03:12 AM

Content:

I got an email today from a coaching friend who is starting evaluations. He asked me how I would do them. Based on my work with some associations and running some evaluation camps for college here is my reply.
-------------
Hi .............,

Good to hear from you.

I am doing some spring hockey with younger kids and still doing my 12-14 yr. skills group twice a week for a school.............................

When I evaluate I like to look at skating and how they play in the 3 game situations and 4 playing roles.

0 - loose puck, do they get there and win those battles for the puck and rebounds

1- Offense
Role 1 - individual offensive skills - puck handle, pass, shoot, take a pass. See the ice, make the easy play right away.
Role 2 - team offensive skills - face the puck, give a target, get open, give and go, create 2 on 1's, go to the net, D join the play.

2- Defense
Role 3 - ind. defensive skill - play from the defensive side, angle with stick on the puck and body on body, stick in the lanes, shinpads in the shooting lanes, back check, tie up sticks in the slot, etc.
Role 4 - team defensive skill - play from the defensive side, recongnize who to cover, head on a swivel, communicate, etc.

I like to rank players in groups according to their last season. i.e. group of 40

- Break them into 8 groups of 5 with at least 2 evaluators watching each group and only that group. Rank them group 1-8.
- players have numbers.
- evaluators must constantly move players up and down during the practice (on ice coaches or players know nothing of what is happening). So in group 2 one player must be moved to group 1 and when this happens group 1 must move one player down to group down to 2.
- everyone turn in the new groups to the head evaluator who compiles them for the next practice and makes new teams.
- head evaluator should flag a players name if it seems like the evaluations are putting a player way above or below their previous ranking (is it improvement, illness, injury or politics)
- at least 4 practices are needed.

Tryout Pracitces should incluce warm up drills, shooting and passing,
- SAG's (I have had as many as 4 games going at once with 2 nets on each goal line and a tournament)
- Transition games where you can watch the entire play starting with a continuous 1-1 where the F has to compete for the loose puck and D must make the breakout pass. Move to up to a continuous 3-2 if you have at least 8 D and 12 F.
- Full ice games of 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 with a whistle going every minute. Players pass back to the goalie and change on the go. (this gives about 50" shifts)

Not scientific but that is how I would run the tryout. All the age groups can do basically the same thing. Rotate which group the evaluators do each time so they see all the kid's and the evaluators could do a report card on their group of 5 the last 30 min.

Posted on: April 06 2011 @ 07:27 PM

Content:

rcmat, I emailed you... hope to talk to you middle to end of next week.

Tom, thanks for this. Next beer, we will discuss this evaluation plan in more detail... this has been a Holy Grail for me for many years... amongst others!

Posted on: April 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
By: Aberdeen

Content:

Tom (or anyone)
can you show continuous 1-1 and continuous 3-2 drills??

Saw Toms post about tryout evals.

Thanks

Posted on: April 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM

Content:

Side note
In Philadelphia/New Jersey area tryouts are going on now (April) will Tier I tryouts completed already. Thats so fast considering seasons just finished. The Top Tier I program had tryouts the same week their season ended.

Posted on: April 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM

Content:

I finally registered Smile

continuous 1-1

Posted on: April 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM

Content:

Aberdeen go to the top right corner of thes site. Type in continuous 1-1 and it will give lots of links with explanation. Also if you go to the file section I have put pdf's of all the transition games there. they are coded DT (D is games T is transition)

Good luck

Posted on: April 20 2011 @ 08:08 AM

Content:

Update,

This is great! We are working in cooperation with local (american)football club and gymnastics club.
So we have one football practice and one gymnastics practice per week.

Still working with the translation Dean.

Posted on: May 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM

Content:

Dean, thanks for the tryout tips. The 1 v 1s were extremely effective at exposing strengths and weaknesses. There were not enough goals scored to really use goals as an objective measure, but it was easy to see who could win a battle and make a move with the puck. I also did some 1 v 1 v 1 where all three players went out at once against each other and could shoot on either goal. That required some extra stickhandling and kept fewer players standing in line. After making subjective evaluations based on the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and limited 5 v 5 scrimmage, I looked at the times that my helpers recorded for skating drills, and that data matched perfectly with the performance in the competitive drills/scrimmage.

Posted on: May 18 2011 @ 10:27 PM
By: RookieCoach

Content:

Kai,
Hey great topic. I am new to this site and love it. My only complaint is that I can't leave my computer now. Endless drills and videos.

I currently for the past six or seven years have only been running and helping coaches with their practices from local league and Rep to Bantam and Midget AAA teams. I am a non parent coach. It is A passion of mine to help young players develop and coaches also.
While I am still learning every day , I find one thing that I strive for in the beginning of every year.

Gain the repect from each and every player and coach by showing them that I am prepared and giving 100 % comittment to them . If the players pick up on this , they will strive to please their coach , on and off the ice.

I usually have a team structure and systems drawn up on Drill Draw which can be made into booklets for each player.
Like to have classroom time to go over these structures.

Sructures such as - Defense zone , Neutral zone , Offensive zone , tracking (backchecking) , forechecking , PP and PK , also faceoff options for each zone.

Also I have use of the Coachesclub from Hockey Canada. There are many video clips available for players to view or that I can show them during classroom sessions.

. Many practices are only 50 mins per week. It is hard to work everything.
I like to start with my Defensive zone first. Work on checking from the inside out.
Start with showing winger presentation on breakout. Open face pivots always keeping eyes on the puck
Work drills showing center support in D zone.

Early in the year I like to run high flow practices , lots of passing and shooting. Battle drills and small area games.

Many coaches between drills have [players skate two hard laps of the ice.

This is where I work on skills , such as reverse pivots , edges , puck protection, battles between the bluelines , stickhandling , quick foot speed drills at each circle, shift changes on and off the ice . etc. But this is usually done with high intensity.

Tom , this is a FANTASTIC site . It is great that you and others give knowledge to other coaches such as myself.
I strive to be the best coach possible , so in return this information can be passed on to young players.

Thanks Again !

Posted on: May 19 2011 @ 02:04 AM

Content:

Quote by: rcmat

Dean, thanks for the tryout tips. The 1 v 1s were extremely effective at exposing strengths and weaknesses. There were not enough goals scored to really use goals as an objective measure, but it was easy to see who could win a battle and make a move with the puck. I also did some 1 v 1 v 1 where all three players went out at once against each other and could shoot on either goal. That required some extra stickhandling and kept fewer players standing in line. After making subjective evaluations based on the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and limited 5 v 5 scrimmage, I looked at the times that my helpers recorded for skating drills, and that data matched perfectly with the performance in the competitive drills/scrimmage.

Great to hear... I was wondering how tryouts went. You will have to report on how your team does this season! All the best.

Posted on: May 19 2011 @ 02:06 AM

Content:

Quote by: RookieCoach

Kai,
Hey great topic. I am new to this site and love it. My only complaint is that I can't leave my computer now. Endless drills and videos.

I currently for the past six or seven years have only been running and helping coaches with their practices from local league and Rep to Bantam and Midget AAA teams. I am a non parent coach. It is A passion of mine to help young players develop and coaches also.
While I am still learning every day , I find one thing that I strive for in the beginning of every year.

Gain the repect from each and every player and coach by showing them that I am prepared and giving 100 % comittment to them . If the players pick up on this , they will strive to please their coach , on and off the ice.

I usually have a team structure and systems drawn up on Drill Draw which can be made into booklets for each player.
Like to have classroom time to go over these structures.

Sructures such as - Defense zone , Neutral zone , Offensive zone , tracking (backchecking) , forechecking , PP and PK , also faceoff options for each zone.

Also I have use of the Coachesclub from Hockey Canada. There are many video clips available for players to view or that I can show them during classroom sessions.

. Many practices are only 50 mins per week. It is hard to work everything.
I like to start with my Defensive zone first. Work on checking from the inside out.
Start with showing winger presentation on breakout. Open face pivots always keeping eyes on the puck
Work drills showing center support in D zone.

Early in the year I like to run high flow practices , lots of passing and shooting. Battle drills and small area games.

Many coaches between drills have [players skate two hard laps of the ice.

This is where I work on skills , such as reverse pivots , edges , puck protection, battles between the bluelines , stickhandling , quick foot speed drills at each circle, shift changes on and off the ice . etc. But this is usually done with high intensity.

Tom , this is a FANTASTIC site . It is great that you and others give knowledge to other coaches such as myself.
I strive to be the best coach possible , so in return this information can be passed on to young players.

Thanks Again !

Rookie Coach, Glad to have you aboard. You will find lots of great stuff on this site. Keep asking questions and posting comments! Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------
RookieCoach; I am glad you are joining us and look forward to your input.
Tom

Posted on: May 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM

Content:

Ok Dean,

Here is the base of my plan translated ( there can be some erros but i'll hope that I got the terminology right Oops! )

Posted on: May 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM

Content:

Thanks Kai!

Nice job! A few things I wasn't sure about the translation... ie:

What is large motion "storage"? I think you are referring to "muscle memory"?

What are "themed games" and "off-ice games"? Looking for examples of both to make sure I understand.

What is "versatile training"? Do you mean "cross training"? Examples?

Thanks Kai!

Posted on: May 21 2011 @ 07:48 PM

Content:

Thanks Kai!

Nice job! A few things I wasn't sure about the translation... ie:

1. What is large motion "storage"? I think you are referring to "muscle memory"?

2. What are "themed games" and "off-ice games"? Looking for examples of both to make sure I understand.

3. What is "versatile training"? Do you mean "cross training"? Examples?

Thanks Kai!

1. Yes, we want to challenge their nervous system every day and do different coordination and rythm jumps etc.

2. Themed games can be Sags or fulll ice games, but with some technical or tactical rule or task. Same goes for the off-ice games, they can be soccer or handball sags or larger area games with the technical or tactical rule or task.
example off- ice game
game is handball, ultimate hybrid. Goal is to keep the posession of ball / frisbee etc. longer than the other team.
Player with the ball can't move. D is not allowed to take the ball from the hands of the attacker, only to prevent the attacker from passing.
player with the ball has 5 seconds to make a pass or the game stops and opponent gets the ball.
If you fumble the ball you lose posession.
If opponent cuts the pass they get the ball.
variation; player in role 1 can move but when touched he/she must stop and pass.

3. I guess I mean versitale training, using different sports, we have great (american)football and gymnastic practices once in a week. But yes we do cross training also.

Maybe I could shoot some video from our practices....

I hope this answers to your questions. But ask and I'll try to answer if there is something more or I didn't make any sense.

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM

Content:

That clarifies things for me Kai. Thanks! Also, if you have video from your practices and you can post a minute of each "aspect" of your practice, that might be neat to try... (or maybe if you email Tom the files, he can do it? Video takes up a lot of server space...)

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM

Content:

Quote by: Kai K

Ok Dean,

Here is the base of my plan translated ( there can be some erros but i'll hope that I got the terminology right Oops! )

After this I plan the periods. I divided year into 10 periods ( 8 five week periods and 2 six week periods) and then I plan focuses for every period.

In left top corner in the pdf: Jakso = period, vko is a abbreviation of word viikko = week. And OT means indepentend training

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM

Content:

Thanks Kai. I am looking at it now... will report back later with feedback.
---

Is this plan for 1997 born boys?

OK my initial thoughts:

I created an excel document similar to yours as a seasonal planning template. I broke down my periods into weeks depending on the months - looking at Sept 2011 as a start and finishing in June 2012 (to mirror the school year.) So some of my 'periods' of months (macrocycles) are anywhere from 2-5 weeks long.

I would call your "SKILL" category "Fundamental Movement Skills" including the ABC's (agility, balance, coordination) along with rhythm, mobility, reaction, etc. The topics also to be included are: dodge, hop, skip, log roll, stork stand (1 leg), jump, kick, dribble, overarm throw, catch, run, sidearm strike. See the site

http://www.phecanada.ca/programs/physical-literacy/what-physical-literacy/fundamental-movement-skills

or check the Sport for Life site

http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1108&LangID=en

I would design a 10-15 minute session to include many of these components such that I can have my group perform this in a limited space / apparatus warm-up and cool-down before and after each practice or training session; then incorporate more of these into specific weekly dryland training sessions. These dryland training sessions would also include some of the physical outcomes you mention (speed, elasticity, aerobic and muscular endurance, speed-strength, strength, etc) based on the time of season and the overall workload at the time. (I am thinking about the school / sport / life / developmental stage variables and monitoring the intensity and volume to maximize the effectiveness of your prioritized goals.) Sometimes, you sacrifice on-ice performance for off-ice or the opposite - depending on what specific goals you REALLY want to go after...

I would also create a column for off-ice development, using 1 hour of gymnasium / field time so I can also plan and track the individual skills, team tactics, principles of play - this is again based on my hypothetical sport school situation (14-15 year old girls or Bantam category) who play about 40-45 games per season including tournaments.

I would plan for three 75 minute ice sessions / week; two 75 minute off-ice dryland training sessions / week (fundamental movement skills and speed / strength / endurance training objectives) and two 60 minute gymnasium / field sessions where I would use off-ice SAG's to train game intelligence and decision-making. (Of course, I would also use these on ice during practice too!) I might use modified European Handball / soccer / ultimate Frisbee / basketball / field hockey / floorball or unihockey as the sport modalities during the gym times to encourage overall athleticism development of the kids. I might also schedule 30 minutes / week for video or a 'hockey talk' session to help further facilitate their understanding of the game. This might occur around one of their other activities (before or after practice) so as not to have to schedule another 'separate' meeting... just piggyback it with a current commitment.

I will post more when I get time... but this is a good way to go back and forth with our ideas!! Keep your ideas and feedback coming!

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 07:17 PM

Content:

Ok Dean,

After this I plan the periods. I divided year into 10 periods ( 8 five week periods and 2 six week periods) and then I plan focuses for every period.

In left top corner in the pdf: Jakso = period, vko is a abbreviation of word viikko = week. And OT means indepentend training

In this period (period 1) our week looks like this:
note: every practice includes at least15 min. warm up (skill) and 15 min cool down (aerobic)

Monday
speed + on-ice, skill

Tuesday
elasticity + muscle endurance
+ game, playing roles (floorball etc)

Wednesday
(American)football

Thursday
muscle endurance + game high tempo (floorball) or on-ice, SAG and themed games high tempo

Friday
Independent training, Aerobic endurance + stretching

Saturday
gymnastics

Sunday
rest

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM

Content:

In this period (period 1) our week looks like this:
note: every practice includes at least15 min. warm up (skill) and 15 min cool down (aerobic)

Monday
speed + on-ice, skill

Tuesday
elasticity + muscle endurance
+ game, playing roles (floorball etc)

Wednesday
(American)football

Thursday
muscle endurance + game high tempo (floorball) or on-ice, SAG and themed games high tempo

Friday
Independent training, Aerobic endurance + stretching

Saturday
gymnastics

Sunday
rest

Kai I like your sequencing. Speed (elasticity) and skill are factors which need the body and mind well-rested in order to maximally develop; so good to put them after a rest day. Strength would be the next priority, then endurance last. I think you have followed sound principles of training with how you have planned your week.

Check out the Sport for Life site... http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1073&LangID=en

It talks about the five S's of training (stamina (endurance), strength, speed, skill and suppleness (flexibility)) and the optimum windows of trainability...

Posted on: May 22 2011 @ 08:01 PM

Content:

Thanks Kai. I am looking at it now... will report back later with feedback.
---

Is this plan for 1997 born boys?

OK my initial thoughts:

I created an excel document similar to yours as a seasonal planning template. I broke down my periods into weeks depending on the months - looking at Sept 2011 as a start and finishing in June 2012 (to mirror the school year.) So some of my 'periods' of months (macrocycles) are anywhere from 2-5 weeks long.

I would call your "SKILL" category "Fundamental Movement Skills" including the ABC's (agility, balance, coordination) along with rhythm, mobility, reaction, etc. The topics also to be included are: dodge, hop, skip, log roll, stork stand (1 leg), jump, kick, dribble, overarm throw, catch, run, sidearm strike. See the site

http://www.phecanada.ca/programs/physical-literacy/what-physical-literacy/fundamental-movement-skills

or check the Sport for Life site

http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1108&LangID=en

I would design a 10-15 minute session to include many of these components such that I can have my group perform this in a limited space / apparatus warm-up and cool-down before and after each practice or training session; then incorporate more of these into specific weekly dryland training sessions. These dryland training sessions would also include some of the physical outcomes you mention (speed, elasticity, aerobic and muscular endurance, speed-strength, strength, etc) based on the time of season and the overall workload at the time. (I am thinking about the school / sport / life / developmental stage variables and monitoring the intensity and volume to maximize the effectiveness of your prioritized goals.) Sometimes, you sacrifice on-ice performance for off-ice or the opposite - depending on what specific goals you REALLY want to go after...

I would also create a column for off-ice development, using 1 hour of gymnasium / field time so I can also plan and track the individual skills, team tactics, principles of play - this is again based on my hypothetical sport school situation (14-15 year old girls or Bantam category) who play about 40-45 games per season including tournaments.

I would plan for three 75 minute ice sessions / week; two 75 minute off-ice dryland training sessions / week (fundamental movement skills and speed / strength / endurance training objectives) and two 60 minute gymnasium / field sessions where I would use off-ice SAG's to train game intelligence and decision-making. (Of course, I would also use these on ice during practice too!) I might use modified European Handball / soccer / ultimate Frisbee / basketball / field hockey / floorball or unihockey as the sport modalities during the gym times to encourage overall athleticism development of the kids. I might also schedule 30 minutes / week for video or a 'hockey talk' session to help further facilitate their understanding of the game. This might occur around one of their other activities (before or after practice) so as not to have to schedule another 'separate' meeting... just piggyback it with a current commitment.

I will post more when I get time... but this is a good way to go back and forth with our ideas!! Keep your ideas and feedback coming!

Yes they are 1997 born boys.

Fundamental movement skills was the term i was looking for! I really like 30 minute / week hockey talk and video session idea.

Posted on: May 23 2011 @ 03:33 AM

Content:

[/p]

Yes they are 1997 born boys.

Fundamental movement skills was the term i was looking for! I really like 30 minute / week hockey talk and video session idea.

[/p]

Kai, this site also gives a good breakdown of the fundamental movement skills by type of sport...

http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1122&LangID=en

Prediction and interception are two key fundamental movement skills as well - which lead to Game Sense!

I also added an "administration" column to provide me with an overview of what housekeeping aspects I need to accomplish based on that particular time period.

I will post a copy of my template soon...

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more ideas Kai!
---

See this site for hockey-specific stuff:

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/63492/la_id/1.htm

MALE 12 - 16 and FEMALE 11 - 15 PROVINCIAL

The focus during this stage is on building an aerobic base, developing speed and strength and further
developing and consolidating sport specific technical skills with an increased emphasis on hockey
and a reduction in the number of other sports played. This phase will also include the introduction
and development of individual and group tactics. Social and emotional considerations are addressed
by placing an emphasis on team-building, group interaction and social activities.

---

Here are some other factors to consider; also from the Sport for Life site:

Five Basic S’s of Training, plus Windows of Optimal Trainability

If we want to encourage our children in sport and lifelong activity, as well as create the potential to compete internationally, we need to build our sport programs around principles that respect the developmental needs of all children. Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) is a progressive pathway of development that recognizes the distinct stages of physical, mental, cognitive and emotional development in child athletes. The first ten S's of training below provide more detail on training components.

Stamina (Endurance)

The optimal window of trainability for stamina occurs at the onset of the growth spurt. Aerobic capacity training is recommended before children reach their fastest rate of growth. Aerobic power should be introduced progressively after their growth rate decelerates.

Strength

The optimal window of trainability for girls is immediately after their fastest rate of growth and at the onset of menarche (first menstruation), while for boys it is 12 to 18 months after their fastest rate of growth.

Speed

For boys, the first speed training window occurs between the ages of 7 and 9 years and the second window occurs between the ages of 13 and 16. For girls, the first speed training window occurs between the ages of 6 and 8 years and the second window occurs between the ages of 11 and 13 years.

Skill

The window for optimal skill training begins at the age of 9 for boys and the age of 8 for girls. This window ends at the onset of the growth spurt.

Suppleness (Flexibility)

The optimal window of trainability for suppleness in both girls and boys occurs between the ages of 6 and 10. Special attention should be paid to flexibility during the growth spurt.
---

What Sport Research Says

Research points to 10 key factors that influence athlete development. By building sports programs around these factors, LTAD ensures that athletes experience both optimal development in their chosen sport and lifelong retention in physical activity for improved wellness.

1. The FUNdamentals

The FUNdamentals are basic movement and sport skills taught through fun games and activities that engage small children and motivate them to continue in activity. While these basics are fun in nature, they also serve another purpose: they teach the essential skills required as a foundation for more complex physical activities and sports. It is important that all children develop a good base of these skills before puberty to optimize both future performance and lifelong ac tivity. This basic s et of FUNdamental movement (dance) and spor ts skills is refer red to as “physical literacy” and it includes things such as skipping, hopping, jumping, throwing, catching, hit ting, and swimming. Physical literacy also implies that children need to have the cognitive ability to read and react to their sport environment to make correct decisions. For example, in soccer, children will develop increased confidence and learn not to automatically kick the ball away when it comes to them, but also consider passing to an open teammate. As a parent, you can ask your child’s sport association how their programs address physical literacy.

2. Specialization

Sports are classified as either early or late specialization. Early specialization sports such as gymnastics, diving, and figure skating require children to learn complex skills before physical maturation since it is extremely difficult to fully master these skills if they are introduced after puberty. Late specialization sports such as soccer, hockey, basketball, and baseball can still be mastered for elite levels of competition if specialization begins between the ages of 12 and 15, but it is essential that these athletes have already acquired physical literacy prior to adolescence. As a parent, you should talk to your child’s coaches if you sense they are pushing your child to specialize prematurely. Children need to develop as athletes before they become specialized as players.

3. Developmental Age

If we talk about child development, we need to define what we mean because different children develop at different rates. Growth and maturation are two aspects of development that are often confused with each other. Growth refers to measurable changes such as height, weight, and fat percentage. Maturation refers to more subtle qualitative changes, such as cartilage changing to bone. Development describes the relationship between growth and maturation over time, including social, emotional, intellectual, and motor aspects. Similarly, chronological age refers to the number of years and days since birth, while developmental age refers to the degree of physical, mental, cognitive, and emotional maturity. Keeping these growth and maturation concepts in mind, you can identify if your child is an early, average, or late maturer. You can then ensure that coaches design training and competition programs that fit your child’s level of trainability and readiness. (See Chapter 3, page 16 for information on assessing your child’s growth and maturation levels.) You also need to recognize the relative age effect. Research is showing that selection to top-tier or representative teams favours children born in the first third of the year due to most sports having age cut-off dates based on the calendar year. If your child is born near the end of the year, you should ensure that your child is in a good program with excellent coaching, since research also shows that if children with late birthdays can be kept in quality programs, their development catches up and they do succeed at a later age.

4. Physical, Mental, Cognitive, Ethical, and Emotional Development

LTAD says that training, competition, and recovery programs should be designed to match the physical, mental, cognitive, and emotional development of each athlete. Ethics, fair play, and character building should also be taught according to each child’s ability to understand these concepts at different ages.

Late Childhood Prior to puberty, physical training should emphasize large muscle groups and basic coordination, and children should be led with clear, brief instructions through structured routines. Simple trial and error is not enough; children need accurate demonstrations of the correct skills. The development of their self-esteem and confidence also requires that they taste success regularly, so activities should create many opportunities for success and children should be recognized regularly. Ethical and character building values should also begin to be integrated into the training regime.

Early Adolescence In early adolescence, children undergo significant changes in bone, muscle, and fat tissue, and they also undergo mental and emotional changes. They lose much flexibility, so they become more prone to injuries. Mentally, they can be coached to make more decisions and take responsibility for them. Their social relationships become more important, so they need opportunities to interact socially with their peers. They still need to be recognized for their success, but “success” may vary: some children may develop early and make quick progress, while late developers may make slower progress but actually outperform the early developers over the long-term.

Late Adolescence Older teens have mature muscles, though their muscular strength continues to increase into their 20s. Meanwhile, the rate at which they are able to develop new skills decreases. Mentally, they are ready to understand the technical requirements of their sport, and their increasing sense of fairness demands that they become part of decision making processes. Emotionally, they have needs for social interaction and self-expression that must be respected. Parents can talk to coaches and associations to assess how they accommodate these aspects of their child’s development.

5. Trainability

Trainability refers to the genetic endowment of athletes as they respond individually to specific training stimuli and adapt to it. Malina and Bouchard (1991) defined trainability as “the responsiveness of developing individuals at different stages of growth and maturation to the training stimulus.”

6. Periodization

Periodization is time management applied to training. Over time, it optimizes each child’s improvement by providing a logical training schedule that respects their stage of development. Periodized plans specify how much and how often athletes should train through the year, and they often describe a specific sequence of training components over weeks, days, and individual sessions. As a parent, you should check to see that your child is training according to a periodized plan – problems in periodization often arise when children have more than one coach.

7. Competition Calendar

For each stage of development, LTAD recommends that sports identify specific training to competition ratios. Every sport is different, but in essence very young children should be neither training nor competing formally. As they get older and develop, they should progress from fun-based activities to a combination of formal training and competition. At young ages, training time should far exceed competition time, but during adolescence competition time will increase and training time may decrease. Parents can check with the national organization for their children’s sport to clarify the optimal training-to-competition ratios for different stages.

8. The 10-Year Rule

If one of your child’s goals is high performance sporting achievement, remember that winning at a young age doesn’t guarantee winning performances at older ages. To achieve excellence in the long-term, young athletes have to put more hours into training than they do competing – and to ensure children train for the hours and years required, programs should emphasize fun, development, and wellness, and not necessarily winning. As a parent, if you sense that your child’s coach or sport association is emphasizing winning at the expense of fun and development, you should talk to them about LTAD, the dangers of child burnout, and the potential damage to long-term performance. Sport science research has shown that it takes a minimum of 10 years and 10,000 hours of training for gifted athletes to achieve the highest levels of elite competition. This translates into approximately three hours of training or competition daily for 10 years for athletes who are identified as having a special talent in a particular sport or activity.

9. System Alignment

LTAD tries to get everyone in the sport system on the same page: one country, one vision, one system. Because many different institutions, agencies, and groups are involved in delivering sports programs, LTAD recommends that parents, teachers, schools, coaches, clubs, recreation centres, and governments coordinate their efforts for the greatest welfare of the children in their programs. In this regard, LTAD has big implications for the entire Canadian sport system. You can ask your local sports association, recreation centre or school if their rules and formats are consistent with those of the national association.

10. Continuous Improvement

LTAD doesn’t pretend that everything about child development and sports is already known. LTAD recognizes that new research is constantly emerging and recommends that new knowledge and insight should be reviewed and incorporated into the model as necessary. In this regard, parents have a responsibility to their children to stay informed about new developments affecting their children’s activities.

Posted on: May 26 2011 @ 02:28 AM

Content:

Kai,

Here are my categories (in columns) across the top.

Month / Macrocycle / # Weeks / Tactical / Dryland / Off-ice Skills & Tactics / On-ice Skills & Tactics / Physical / Mental / Admin

I would have a brief statement about each of these categories at the top of each column. Kind of an overview of a couple of the key points or recurring themes within each category.

I would also state the Fundamental Movement Skills somewhere on this page to make sure I practice these elements across several of the categories: "Agility, balance, coordination, running, jumping, skating, sending & receiving object, dribbling & striking, prediction & interception."

Down the left side, I would list the months (Sept - June in my case).

I will post this template when I complete it - probably mid-June.

Hockey Coaching ABCs - Forum
https://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=1602