Content:

Any one heard of this before and how would you calculate this. Thanks

Replies:

Re: Positive Play Percentage

Posted on: October 04 2011 @ 03:31 AM
By: hockeygod

Content:

Eric,

Are your talking about Positive Power Play Percentage? (If this isn't what you mean, please clarify...)

If so, I think you might mean: take your PP %, add your PK % to get an overall combined %.

You want them to be at 100% or higher (105 - 110 %)

I did my thesis on the power play, starting in 1995. Back then, some teams had 108% in the regular season; this positively correlated with their overall standing in the league. Not sure what the top teams are scoring now... you would have to do a bit of research... check out NHL.com to see if they have some archival special teams % and then check the overall standings for that year.

Let me know what you find out!

Posted on: October 04 2011 @ 04:57 PM
By: Eric

Content:

I'm not referring to the Power Play. Apparently it is a stat that teams use to track positive plays made by forwards/defense on an individual basis.

Just curious if anyone else had heard of it or used it before.

Posted on: October 04 2011 @ 05:13 PM
By: DaveM

Content:

Eric - I just heard of this term the other day, while watching some videos on-line. Search youtube for "pro playmakers hockey" and you should find the page. (I tried posting the link but it detects it as spam) The video blog #5 "Understanding How to Measure Your Game", mentions it briefly but they don't elaborate on it a whole lot. Daryl Belfry, the guy making the blogs, says he's going to do more detailed versions this year and charge $2 a pop. Given the cast of characters/clientel (Kane, Tavares, Duchene etc.) I'm going to give it a try.

Hope this helps,
Dave

ps. Anyone else looked at this resource before or have thoughts on his instruction?

Positive Play Percentage

Posted on: October 04 2011 @ 05:19 PM
By: TomM

Content:

When Bob Murdoch coached in the NHL and in Europe the only stat he cared about was the decisions players make when they get the puck. If they made a play or gained a zone when the play wasn't possible they got a plus and a minus when they game the puck away in a dangerous area. A 5% swing is the difference between losing a winning.

http://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?s=20080727015524128 is the video on this site where he is a guest lecturer in my college coaching class. He talks about a lot of things worth listening to and one of these is the importance of this stat on decisions with the puck.

Stewart Behie made a computer program that tracked decisions and we used it at the U of Calgary. I will have to watch the video again to remember the % and their significance.

Posted on: October 05 2011 @ 03:31 AM
By: Eric

Content:

Thanks Dave and Tom!

Dave, I looked at the video and it was interesting. I looked at a couple other of his videos and I think he has some great ideas. Let me know if you continue to learn from the $2 blog fee and there is new information and not just further explanation, I will also buy a couple.

Tom,

That seems on par with what I was thinking it meant. Tracking positive plays with the puck for individual players. I remember watching the video a couple times a couple years ago but I should probably revisit it. Thanks again.

Hockey Coaching ABCs - Forum
https://www.hockeycoachingabcs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2679