1339 posts :: Page 45 of 45
By: Likes:

Another favorite article.
Bob

embarrassed

This is a fantastic study that was done a few years ago. While it doesn't mention hockey, it specifically speaks about praising a child's effort not the result. This is the very reason why there should be no "participation" trophies in sports.

Bob

-----------------------------------
Bob great to see another coach contributing ideas.
Tom

nerdy

Great articles Bob! Thanks for posting! Keep 'em coming!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Bob,

This era of forced positive reinforcement has been around since the 80's at least. I remember taking a summer graduate level course on effective teaching and the only thing the professor used to evaluate teacher effectiveness was to count how many positive things the instructor said to the students. This model led to forcing the teacher to give a lot of empty praise instead of really evaluating what the learner was doing and giving helpful input.

I had a player last season who has heard nothing but compliments about her play and I found that when I had the team doing exercises that really challenged her skill level she bailed and went back to what she could do well. i.e. carry the puck while skating in a figure eight but only use the forehand part of the blade: repeat but only use the backhand side of the blade. It requires the player to loosen the shoulders and separate the movement of the torso and the waist down. I see this reluctance to meet a new chanllenge a lot when I do camps etc.

I have also seen that the players who want to improve and are willing to try new and chanllenging things go past the early achievers.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,
I have said to my undergraduate students & my high school students that "The smartest people don't always finish college, but the most determined always do." There is something to be said about determination, unfortunately, in the U. S. much rides on standardized test scores.

Recently, I had my first parents' meeting for my son's Pee Wee team that I am coaching. I told the parents to let their children learn from their mistakes and to grow as a person & player. I explained that you won't hear me yell or scream. You won't hear me praise a great goal or assist, but you will hear me praise effort and hustle. I said, "The thing that I love about hockey is it reflects life. No one cares how many times you fall down, they only care how many times you get back up."

Best,

Bob

hopeful

Bob, Tom,

Good comments. Sad that people who are certifying other professionals are enabling this culture of entitlement as it doesn't promote the characteristic of perseverance - which people need a lot of to survive and succeed in 'real life'! This perpetuates this unfortunate cycle.

You guys should read Carol Dweck's book, "Mindset".

Bob, stick to your guns. It is the better way!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL Hypocrisy? Nah couldn't be...

Taking Note, Gregg Drinnan, Sunday, July 8, 2012

Put down your morning coffee so you don't choke on some of what follows in this paragraph and the next one. . . . In April, Michael Russo, who follows the Minnesota Wild for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, sat down for a chat with Wild owner Craig Leipold. In that interview, Leipold told Russo: "We're not making money, and that's one reason we need to fix our system. We need to fix how much we're spending right now. . . . The revenue that we're generating is not the issue as much as our expenses. And (the Wild's) biggest expense by far is player salaries." . . . On Wednesday, Leipold coughed up US$196 million for defenceman Ryan Suter and forward Zach Parise. . . . You figure it out! . . .

Zach's father, J.P. Parise, played for the Minnesota North Stars in 1971-72, a season for which he was paid $29,000. . . . If you average out Zach's 13-year contract over its life, he will earn $91,932.46 per game. And, based on an average of 27 shifts per game, he will make $2,965.56 per shift. . . . Included in Zach's contract is a $25-million signing bonus. Break that down over the life of the contract and you get $23,452.16 per game. . . . But the signing bonus is payable over three years. Broken down on that basis it comes out to $101,626.02 per game over three seasons. . . . Thanks to Terry Massey for the breakdown. . . . Now back to our regularly scheduled programming for the poorer people like you and me. . . .

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

A Kiwi in Paris

ALISTAIR McMURRAN, IIHF.com, 05-07-12

DUNEDIN, New Zealand – Paris Heyd’s venture into European ice hockey has raised his expectations and made him a potential super star of the sport in New Zealand.

He was a talented New Zealand ice hockey player before his seven-month stint with the Cergy-Pontoise Jokers in France.

The constant play and more time on the ice have honed his skills and he is now demonstrating this in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League as the new hockey season has started in the southern hemisphere.

Heyd, 21, is the best ice hockey player in the country and the first New Zealander to get an overseas professional contract.

He recently returned to his home town of Dunedin after his time with the Cergy-Pontoise Jokers, a team from the second tier about 40 kilometres northwest of Paris.

Heyd was a first-line member of the Jokers and played in all 26 games and scored 28 points – 13 goals and 15 assists.

The standard of the ice hockey league in France was a step up from the experience he had in New Zealand. The consistent hockey at a high level week by week has added a new dimension to Heyd’s game.

His start to the New Zealand Ice Hockey League was delayed because of an ankle sprain.

But he returned in style to score a hat trick to help Dunedin Thunder beat defending champions Botany Swarm 8-2 at Auckland before winning 6-1 in the second game against the same opponent.

He has teamed up with the three Finish imports to give the Thunder its second double header in the league when it beat the Southern Stampede 4-2 and 6-3 last weekend.

It was a record fourth straight win by the Thunder and keeps it at the top of the New Zealand league.

Heyd’s European experience has sped up his skating and he is using it to help the Dunedin Thunder to its best ever performance in the New Zealand league. The time spent in the French league was an eye opener for Heyd.

“They play a different style of ice hockey in France. It is a lot faster and not as rough,’’ he said. “It is typical of European hockey. It is a lot more skill-based rather than physicality and contact. There is more finesse and they skate faster. The reaction time is quicker and the execution of shots and passing is more accurate.”

For Heyd it meant adjusting to the new environment and style of play à la française.

“More thought and preparation is needed for each game. You have to keep playing at a top standard. You can’t slack,” he said. “You are held accountable for the work you do and you learn not to make mistakes.’’

Dunedin Thunder Finnish import Matti Haapakoski has described ice hockey in New Zealand as a rough and tumble physical game that is played in a rugby style.

New Zealand ice hockey has adopted the more physical North American style of ice hockey where players are more frequently pushed into the boards.

It is different in Europe.

“In France it is all skills with few physical clashes,'' Haapakoski said. “It is a bit more physical in Finland.'”

The Jokers team finished 13th of the 14 teams in the competition.

“But there was only three points between eighth place and 13th. We were only three points off the play-offs,” Heyd said. “We played one game each week and we trained on another three days.”

“It has always been my dream to make a living playing hockey. It came true in France,” Heyd said after his one-year contract had expired. “It was what I expected it would be. They have more depth in Europe. We lack depth in New Zealand.”

His talent was recognised last year by the Dunedin Thunder assistant coach Kevin Arrault, who coaches professional hockey in France. He recommended Heyd to the Jokers.

It was a better deal than he ever had in New Zealand.

His accommodation and flights were paid by the Jokers and he got enough “pocket money” each month to enjoy his overseas experience.

A couple of inline hockey players from New Zealand have made the trek to Europe to play in leagues but Heyd was the first ice hockey exponent to blaze the trail. It was a reward for six years of hard slog.

“I hope it has opened the doors for others,” he said. “The game is a lot faster and more serious over there. It's been the dream of my life. I just love playing hockey on the ice.”

Heyd’s early form in the New Zealand league indicates that the standard of his hockey has improved after his intense period in France.

“I was on the ice four times a week for seven months,” he said. “I’ve had a lot more time to build up my skills. I’m now faster on skates and it has helped my shooting accuracy, stick handling and puck control.”

Heyd’s French was non-existent before he left. It is not much better now but he can make himself understood by French shop keepers.

“I found it so hard to learn the language before I left New Zealand and I didn’t pick up that much over there,” he admitted. “The French speak too quickly and I still can’t follow a full conversation.”

He was lucky that the Jokers had a French-Canadian coach who could speak English.

“The young French guys in our team spoke English and I could get by,” he said.

He was invited back to the Cergy-Pontoise Jokers for next season but put the invitation on hold to concentrate on his university studies.

Heyd also gave up the chance of representing the Ice Blacks at the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group A in Reykjavik, Iceland, in April. He did not want to miss the first four weeks of his second-year business management and tourism degree course at the University of Otago in Dunedin.

“It was also the cost,” he said. “I had to save my money for university. I want to advance my degree. Playing for the Ice Blacks is a massive financial commitment, so a lot of people can’t play. It’s all funded privately, by our parents, our summer jobs, however we can get the money.”

Knowing there is a life after ice hockey, he wants to advance his university degree first.

“I’m taking the year off international hockey to get my study going and then go back to Europe to gain more ice hockey experience and finish my degree by a correspondence course,” he said about his future plans

The plight of talented New Zealand ice hockey players has been highlighted by the three Finnish imports playing for Dunedin Thunder in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League this season.

Haapakoski, Jussi Vähämaa and Joni Nukari play semi-professional ice hockey in Finland and have come to New Zealand to gain more experience.

When playing in Finland they need a part time job to supplement their income from ice hockey. In New Zealand they have to pay to play for Dunedin Thunder. There are no free rides in New Zealand ice hockey.

“Kiwis even have to pay to play for the Ice Blacks,” Haapakoski said. “I just play for the experience. I don’t get paid. I came because I want to play all year round. The team organises me a job while I am playing.

“The reason I came to Dunedin is because they have a great rink. When I was coming here we could tell that everything is done with passion and love for the sport.”

It is different in Finland with elite players earning hundreds of thousands Euros a year.

“Young players have two dreams – to play for Finland and then play in the NHL,” Nukari said.

The situation in New Zealand is different. Rugby is the national sport and any player contracted for the All Blacks (the national team) is paid a minimum of $NZ 250,000 a year. The super stars get paid more and with endorsements could be paid over one million each year.

International cricketers are also well paid in New Zealand with rates of around $NZ 180,000 a year. The best players can also get short-term contracts with the lucrative Indian league.

Rowing is New Zealand’s most successful Olympic sport and international rowers get all their expenses paid and earn a comfortable wage to train fulltime.

But elite performers in other sports have to juggle their careers with their sport.

For Paris Heyd, ice hockey has been his passion since he was a kid.

“It has been his dream since he started playing ice hockey at the age of five," his father Maurice Heyd said. His family have backed him and given him financial help to represent New Zealand internationally.

His father, mother Ushi and sister Cuba (11) were at the Dunedin Ice Stadium last year when Heyd was one of the star players for New Zealand at the New Zealand Winter Games. He scored a hat trick in the 6-1 semi-final win against China.

Heyd was born in Alexandra but he grew up in Christchurch, before spending the last three years of his school days in Canada.

“I went to secondary school in Montreal to improve my hockey,” he said.

Heyd has played for the Ice Blacks for the last three years and now feels confident on the international scene.

Heyd got his start in the New Zealand Ice Hockey League as a 15-year-old for the Southern Stampede. He spent 2006 training and watching from the bench.

But a shift to Christchurch saw him start to get regular ice time for the Canterbury Red Devils.

For the next three consecutive New Zealand summers he attended an ice hockey school in Montreal, Canada, to hone his craft.

Heyd shifted back to Dunedin where he was raised to begin a degree in business management at the University of Otago in 2010 and joined the Thunder.

Some strong performances in the league propelled him from the national under-20 side to the Ice Blacks, playing for the senior national team at the 2011 IIHF World Championship Division II Group A. It was his first time, but it will likely not be his last time, despite his break.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Opposite worlds in Zurich: Lions swap high-end coaches, Flyers saved from grounding

MARTIN MERK, IIHF.com, 04-07-12

ZURICH – The off-season is usually a quiet time in the Swiss National League A. Not so this summer, and especially not in Zurich where the ZSC Lions and the Kloten Flyers had to go through very different challenges.

The Lions, who won the championship after a seventh-place finish in the regular season, woke up from their championship celebrations without their coach.

Despite a second year remaining on the contract, it soon became pretty obvious that Bob Hartley would not stay. He had verbally agreed with the Zurich club management that he would leave, but only if the Calgary Flames, managed by his friend Jay Feaster, or the Montreal Canadiens – despite his Anglophone name, Hartley is French-Canadian – offered him a contract.

After leading the ZSC Lions to the championship in his first year, Hartley was coveted by both clubs, but opted for the Flames at the end of May, and he took his assistant Jacques Cloutier with him.

Hartley goes, Crawford comes

Bob Hartley agreed on dissolving the contract with the Zurich club, ending an turbulent period with plenty of rumours. The management started immediately to scan the market and eyed Marc Crawford, who was invited to Zurich in June.

After other NHL teams like Montreal, Washington and Edmonton also had found their coaches, Crawford remained free to join the team and signed a two-year contract during the last weekend.

Same as with Hartley one year ago, the Lions get in Crawford a long-time NHL coach who led the Colorado Avalanche to a Stanley Cup win. He later coached the Vancouver Canucks for many years, followed by two-year stints in Los Angeles and Dallas.

Crawford also has international experience as the head coach of Canada’s first Olympic team with full NHL participation in Nagano 1998.

Last year, without a job in the NHL, he was working for the Canadian sports broadcaster TSN and also coaching Team Canada at the Spengler Cup in Davos, Switzerland. In Zurich he will be assisted by Rob Cookson, who was already in Crawford’s coaching staff in Nagano, and who was an assistant coach for Canada in two World Championships and three World Junior Championships.

{CONGRATS ROB!!}

With Crawford the Lions have solved their problem by having another highly-respected coach behind the bench of a team that has a reputation of being too satisfied, at least until Hartley’s taming of the Lions.

Kloten Flyers close to grounding

However, compared to the challenges regional rival Kloten Flyers have had recently, Zurich’s issues with Hartley’s departure can be described as luxury problem.

When the club, after several delays, presented its financial figures at the end of May, it was virtually clinically dead. More than half of the annual budget was not funded, causing a record loss of 7.9 million Swiss Francs (€6.6m) and an increase of the debt to 10.9 million Swiss Francs (€9.1m).

The club from Kloten, a Zurich suburb mostly known for the international airport, had its primetime in the ‘90s when it won four straight championships between 1993 and 1996, and in the process getting the nickname “Flüger”. It later made it to the official club name when it was Americanized to Kloten Flyers rather than the old EHC Kloten.

But the club has been going through difficult times ever since the end of the ‘90s when its main sponsor Swissair folded. A retired hotelier, Peter Bossert, saved the club in 2001 before selling it to Jürg Bircher, a real-estate businessman, in 2008.

Already during Bossert’s era the owner was complaining about an annual “base loss” of up to one million Francs he had to cover each year. The club’s trademark was developing many young players, but the payroll was constantly too high.

Under Bircher the situation got worse with a careless payroll increase over the years. It resulted in two final appearances, but not in healthy finances. In the end the Bircher imperium seemed to fall apart while the stream of red ink was becoming a river.

Bircher tried to sell his shares to a potential new owner, who later claimed being cheated with false numbers indicating financial stability. That made the disastrous economic situation public.

The news was a shock not only for the fans in this region around the city of Zurich, but also for Swiss hockey in general. Kloten has been an important contributor of talent both to the league and the national team, and it’s the club that has been in the top league for more consecutive years than any other, since gaining promotion in 1962.

With the mountain of debt, the club became a case for the bankruptcy court and it was close to expulsion from the league. There were two choices: Try to rescue the organization financially and continue playing in the league under the same legal entity, or to restructure with a new entity, which would mean that Kloten would have to start from the bottom tier league.

Despite the gloomy prospects, several people and groups in and around the club fought a battle almost as hopeless as the Greek financial crisis to avoid the Flyers’ imminent grounding. Fan clubs collected money, as did the players themselves (while waiting for salaries since April), also assisted by local entrepreneurs. They came together in a task force led by former club owner Bossert, who co-ordinated all efforts.

Federation President Gaydoul at the rescue

In June, very unexpectedly, a new investor was found in billionaire Philippe Gaydoul, who on top of everything suddenly found himself in a severe conflict of interest as he has been the President of the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation for the past three years.

Together with banker Thomas Metter, the duo announced they would be willing to take over the club if a massive debt reduction could be reached and the shares, or at least the qualified majority of voting rights, be transferred to them.

After weeks of fighting for the club with the fans not knowing if they would have a team to cheer for, the biggest rescue operation in Swiss hockey history concluded with a happy end last week.

2.9 million Francs (€2.4m) were raised by various supporting groups, and several parties were willing to write off bad debts totalling 5.2 million Francs (€4.3m), half of it from a former board member who lent the club money.

But also regional authorities participated in the rescuing plan with a reduction of tax debts, knowing that getting part of the debts paid would serve them better than the club’s bankruptcy.

The efforts paved the way for the new investors, who now have the two-third majority they need in order to devalue the old shares and pump in new capital.

Dismantling of a Kloten legend

While most of the players, astonishingly, were kept during the crisis, it was decided to part ways with long-time coach Anders Eldebrink from Sweden as his contract was considered as too expensive. Players Niklas Nordgren, Roman Wick and Arnaud Jacquemet were also let loose.

The investors installed a new CEO in Wolfgang Schickli, who sacked his predecessor Jürg Schawalder and assistant coach Felix Hollenstein. Schickli wanted a fresh start, meaning that there was no room for nostalgia.

Player-legend and long-time assistant coach Hollenstein, who had been with the club for 28 years, was shown the door and the lesser known Czech coach of Kloten’s junior team, Tomas Tamfal, was promoted to lead the elite league team.

It will be an uncertain future on the ice for the team when the season kicks off on 12th September, but at least one with the certain backing of the new investors. Gaydoul’s entry in Kloten will also mean the end of his presidency of the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation.

For now he passes on being on Kloten’s board and the federation’s committee accepts the temporary continuation of his presidency while being Kloten’s owner for a transitional period until his succession will be arranged.

Swiss Notebook:

Same as Kloten, also troubled mountain-village club HC Ambrì-Piotta can count on a new investor. Samih Sawiris, an Egyptian businessman with domicile in Switzerland, is building a new resort in not far away Andermatt and he wants to support the main sport teams in this Alpine area. After investing in football team FC Luzern, he will subscribe to Ambrì shares for 1 million Swiss Francs and join support organizations for the club.

The ZSC Lions Zurich not only have a new coach, but they also want to solve the issues with the city’s busy multifunctional Hallenstadion by building an own arena. The new sport complex would include an ice arena for 12,000 fans, a practice rink and a 3,000-seat volleyball arena. The complex in the Altstetten district would cost 193 million Swiss Francs and because a substantial loan from the city is foreseen, the local parliament has to vote on the plan, and probably also the citizens in an eventual referendum. Meanwhile the architecture competition is going on and the club hopes to move to the new arena in 2017.

One year after defenceman Raphael Diaz (Montreal Canadiens), EV Zug loses another player to the NHL as the league’s scoring leader Damien Brunner signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings. Brunner announced his intention to move to the NHL very early and he impressed GM Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock when they scouted him at the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Helsinki.

The Swiss Ice Hockey Federation confirmed Sean Simpson as the head coach of the Swiss national team. Although Simpson has an ongoing contract, his position was put into question after the 11th-place finish at the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

Swiss coach Jakob Kölliker didn’t enjoy the same kind of backing in Germany. The German Ice Hockey Association decided not to extend his contract as the German national team coach after the 12th-place finish and missing the direct Olympic qualification. A successor has not been named yet.

Kevin Lötscher, the player who was involved in a life-threatening accident a few days after coming home from the 2011 IIHF World Championship with several weeks in artificial coma and severe head injuries, will attempt a comeback in the upcoming season. The other clubs agreed on an exception to allow him to represent his club SC Bern in the junior league in order to start playing in a less physical competition.

The Spengler Cup organizers announced the teams that will participate in the traditional tournament between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Apart from host HC Davos and the usual guests from Team Canada, the tournament includes KHL team Salavat Yulayev Ufa. The Spengler Cup will be kind of an exile as Ufa’s two main ice arenas will host the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship, 26 December 2012 to 5 January 2013. Fribourg-Gottéron (SUI), Adler Mannheim (GER) and Vitkovice Ostrava (CZE) are the other participants in the six-team tournament.

Davos was also in the spotlight when the members of Swiss Olympic voted in favour of a candidacy for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games with St. Moritz as the main venue and Davos as a second venue and a host for ice sports. Women’s ice hockey would be played in the current rink while a bigger arena would be built at the lake for the men’s ice hockey tournament. The applicants will be known by September 2013 and the 2022 Olympics will be awarded at the 127th IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in June 2015. The next Winter Olympics will take place in 2014 in Sochi, Russia, and in 2018 in PyeongChang, Korea.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Vintage baseball cards found in Ohio attic could be worth millions

By JOHN SEEWER, The Associated Press, July 10 2012

TOLEDO, Ohio • Karl Kissner picked up a soot-covered cardboard box that had been under a wooden dollhouse in his grandfather’s attic. Taking a look inside, he saw baseball cards bundled with twine. They were smaller than the ones he was used to seeing.

But some of the names were familiar: Hall of Famers Ty Cobb, Cy Young and Honus Wagner.

Then he put the box on a dresser and went back to digging through the attic.

It wasn’t until two weeks later that he learned that his family had come across what experts say is one of the biggest, most exciting finds in the history of sports card collecting, a discovery probably worth millions.

The cards are from an extremely rare series issued around 1910. The few known to exist are in so-so condition at best, with faded images and worn edges. But the ones from the attic in the Ohio town of Defiance are nearly pristine, untouched for more than a century. The colors are vibrant, the borders crisp and white.

"It’s like finding the Mona Lisa in the attic" Kissner said.

Sports card experts who authenticated the find say they may never see something this impressive again.

"Every future find will ultimately be compared to this," said Joe Orlando, president of Professional Sports Authenticator.

The best of the bunch - 37 cards - are expected to bring a total of $500,000 when they are sold at auction in August during the National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore. There are about 700 cards in all that could be worth up to $3 million, experts say. They include such legends as Christy Mathewson and Connie Mack.

Kissner and his family say the cards belonged to their grandfather, Carl Hench, who died in the 1940s. Hench ran a meat market in Defiance, and the family suspects he got them as a promotional item from a candy company that distributed them with caramels. They think he gave some away and kept others.

"We guess he stuck them in the attic and forgot about them," Kissner said. "They remained there frozen in time."

After Hench and his wife died, two of his daughters lived in the house. Jean Hench kept the house until she died last October, leaving everything inside to her 20 nieces and nephews. Kissner, 51, is the youngest and was put in charge of the estate. His aunt was a pack rat, and the house was filled with three generations of stuff.

They found calendars from the meat market, turn-of-the-century dresses, a steamer trunk from Germany and a dresser with Grandma’s clothes neatly folded in the drawers.

Months went by before they even got to the attic. On Feb. 29, Kissner’s cousin Karla Hench pulled out the dirty green box with metal clips at the corners and lifted the lid.

Not knowing whether the cards were valuable, the two cousins put the box aside. But Kissner decided to do a little research. The cards were at his office in the restaurant he owns when he realized they might have something. He immediately took them across the street and put them in a bank vault.

Still not knowing whether the cards were real, they sent eight to expert Peter Calderon at Heritage Auctions in Dallas, which recently sold the baseball that rolled through the legs of Boston Red Sox first baseman Bill Buckner in the 1986 World Series for $418,000.

Calderon said his first words were "Oh, my God."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

TAVARES, HALL TO COACH TEAMS AT MENTORSHIP CUP ON TSN

TSN.CA STAFF, 7/12/2012

The Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Cup is back for a second year, and 42 of the best bantam-aged players in the country will be learning from some star NHL talent.

The National Hockey League Players' Association announced Thursday that John Tavares and Taylor Hall have been named the coaches of the two teams that will meet in Mississauga, Ontario on Saturday, July 21.

You can watch the game live next Saturday on TSN beginning at 1pm et/10am pt.

"This program is a great way to teach the next generation of young hockey players about all the hard work and sacrifice it takes to perform at an elite level," explained Tavares in a statement. "It will be fun to participate behind the bench for a change and I'm excited to be a part of it."

"It's been six years since my bantam hockey year, and the Allstate All-Canadians program reminds me of all the things I've learned since then about taking care of my body and being mentally strong," said Hall. "I hope that I'll be able to pass a few of those helpful lessons I've learned to this group of young hockey players.

The game will be the culmination of a week-long Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp, which will be led by former NHLer Gary Roberts and assisted by current players including Jason Spezza, Tyler Seguin, Jeff Skinner, and Martin Biron. The bantam players, who are 13 and 14 years old, will receive instruction in fitness and nutrition, along with other skills focusing on both on- and off-ice conditioning.

"These young hockey players are tremendously focused and driven to improve, and it was inspiring to be a part of the camp last year," explained Spezza. "I look forward to attending this year's camp as a Mentor and continuing my involvement with the program."

TSN will have complete coverage all week from the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp. SportsCentre will be filing reports from the camp all week, while That's Hockey will be doing features on some of Canada's best young hockey talent.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Malkin is bringing his trainer to Russia again this summer. He said Malkin won't get on the ice until August!!!!! If it is good enough for Malking, why do we insist on getting kids on the ice in the summer?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637783

Bob

confused

Bob,

Wow, what a post! I knew Mike Kadar "back in the day" from the Central Alberta area and knew he went to LA but then lost track of him. I had no idea he was working for Pittsburgh. I will have to try to get in touch again. Mike was a really nice guy.

I will answer this in the Game Intelligence thread.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Bob, I don't think it is an either or question. Malkin and anyone else that goes trough a gruelling pro season where they play about 100 games in 8 months and are on the ice for regular and pre game practices almost every day needs to take off a few months for physical and mental recovery. He will be doing off ice training and probably playing tennis etc.

If an on ice spring or summer program is well run and the kid's have fun I don't understand why there is anything wrong with it.

I have had experience all over the world with off season programs (Finland, Austria, Czech Republic, USA, Canada, Norway, Korea, Mexico) running camps, hockey schools and pro guest coach. The players at these camps want to get better and have fun while learning from good coaches, which they don't always have in the regular season. Most of these players do other sports at the same time.

You can get carried away like a Korean pro team I worked with whose schedule was like this. Monday to Saturday. 4 week camp
Wake up 6:30
-morning 30 min. Light run
-breakfast
-8-10 on ice practice
-rest
-lunch
-2-4 on ice practice
-supper
7-9 m,w,f weights
7-9 t,th,sat plyo's
Sunday off.

This was a 4 week camp and they got 96 hours on the ice. A few benefits. 1. We beat the U of Calgary 2 of 3 games and Dany Heatley practice every afternoon and went from being a non drafted bantam to the best AAA midget player in the country. (plus he grew about 6 inches)

My grandson who is 10 didn't want to play soccer this spring. He didn't enjoy it. Instead he spent April and May in a spring program that was really well run by one of my former university players who is a teacher. He ran very good practices with good technique and a lot of competition. They played a few games but it was mostly practices. He loved it.

He bikes and plays with his friends all of the time.

Now he is in a summer sports camp for his day care and they do many sports. He will be at our hockey camp in Jasper in a few weeks and get an Olympic skating coach for 7 sessions and me and my son for another 7 sessions. Between sessions he will play in the skateboard park and do a lot of biking with his parents. I can't think of any negatives. He loves it.

So I don't think you can say that summer hockey is bad or always good. If the kid wants to do it, it is a good program and he has fun and a chance to get better what more can you ask for.
Tom

NHL labour talks shaping up to be a heavyweight battle

Jack Todd, Postmedia News Jul 16, 2012

MONTREAL — I hate talking hockey in July. Then again, it looks like that’s all we’ll be able to do in November – talk hockey.

It’s probably no coincidence that news of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s scorched-earth proposal to Donald Fehr and the NHL Players Association leaked at the beginning of a July weekend, when you were swatting flies at the cabin, putting down industrial quantities of Molson’s finest or cooling off at the neighbourhood pool.

Bettman is likely to get away with it, or at least part of it, because at this point, the only thing he has to fear is Fehr himself.

Some folks in these parts blame Fehr — former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association — for the Montreal Expos’ lost shot at a World Series back in 1994 – but among sports union leaders, Fehr is up there with Marvin Miller. He was brought in because he’s a heavyweight and this is a heavyweight bout, with enormous stakes.

If you thought Bettman might be at least somewhat conciliatory in order to save the season, you thought wrong. As Larry Brooks of the New York Post (admittedly not Bettman’s dearest friend) tweeted: “NHL proposal amounts to declaration of war against NHLPA.”

It’s only an initial bargaining position – but for Bettman to propose lowering the players’ share of revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent is ludicrous, especially at a time when the league is boasting about the increase in overall revenue.

The reports (the initial one coming from Renaud Lavoie at RDS) say the NHL offer would also limit contracts to five years (the one plank with which we are in agreement).

But the proposal would also force players to wait 10 years to become unrestricted free agents, do away with signing bonuses, extend low-paying entry-level contracts for a five-year term rather than the current three, and put an end to salary arbitration. Future deals would also have to have an equal value for each year to do away with front-loading contracts.

This after boasting that league revenue has soared to a record $3.3 billion from $2.2 billion in 2003-04, before the last lockout. Back then, players were taking 75 per cent of a smaller pie. Now they’re down to 57 per cent and Bettman wants to cut it by a further 11 per cent, and to achieve more than that in terms of his overall cuts by all the changes in the structure of free agency and contracts.

The Edmonton Journal calculated that the 43 per cent of the money divided among the owners amounted to $1.42 billion (after the players were paid) meaning that on a per-team basis, revenue increased from $18.3 million in 2003-04 to $47.3 million in 2011-12.

If some franchises are ailing, then, the problem is that the league does not have an adequate revenue-sharing system in place, not that the owners share of revenue is inadequate. Rather than share with each other, however, the owners will attempt to fix their problems by going after the players.

Then, as soon as a new CBA is in place, the owners will go to work to circumvent it. And the fans, the people who swear up and down that they’ll never watch another NHL game, will be the first ones in line to buy season tickets when the league returns.

Might as well plan to spend the fall getting to know the wife and family, fellas. Whatever you do, don’t buy the spin Bettman will try to put on another lockout. This column will be 100 per cent behind Fehr and the players, every step of the way.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Vladislav Tretiak: A True Game-Changing Guru
http://thehockeywriters.com/overtime/vladislav-tretiak-game-changing-guru/

Over the last few decades, individuals such as Vladislav Tretiak have shaped the game of hockey in unbelievable ways. It has often been noted that Tretiak never had a fair shot to compete in the NHL back in the 1980s, but the Russian netminder changed the face of the game for future goaltenders in his fifteen-plus seasons with the Russian Red Army Team, CSKA Moscow.

Tretiak?s appearances and play in the Olympics, World Championships, Canada Cup, and Summit Series will always be engrained in hockey history and the goalie?s name is rightfully enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame as a result of his hard work. Politics and stubbornness (on the part of the Soviet Government) were probably the biggest factors that prevented Tretiak from making an impact at the NHL level, but the goalie managed to cement himself in hockey lore by being a pioneer of the goaltending position and revolutionizing the way that goalies play the position in the modern day.

The Butterfly Guy
The story of the butterfly style of goaltending cannot be told without mentioning names such as Glenn Hall, Tony Esposito, and Patrick Roy.

Hall is widely considered by many to be the first goalie to employ and perfect the use of the butterfly style. While others improved on his style of play over the decades, being nicknamed ?Mr. Goalie? goes to show how much Hall impacted the game during his career. Hall?s achievements in the NHL speaks for itself, but it is safe to say that North Americans were not prepared to see a Russian goalie take center stage at the World Championships, Olympics, and a plethora of other popular hockey events.

Unlike modern butterfly goalies, Tretiak played a style where he combined new aspects of getting low to the ice with classic stand-up methods. The result was outstanding as the goalie vaulted himself into notoriety during the 1972-1973 hockey season as he put on quite a show during the first Summit Series between Russia and Canada. Fans expected Canada to win handily, but Canadians left the series with a great amount of respect for Tretiak who wowed the crowds with his unbelievable style of play against some of the world?s greatest hockey players.

Tretiak?s use of the butterfly style earned him accolades and recognition around the world as one of the most feared, skilled, and intelligent netminders to have never played a single game in the NHL. Even though Canada emerged victorious against the Soviets, Tretiak dispelled any notion that he was a B-rate goalie as he used a mixture of the butterfly and stand-up styles to distinguish himself from the rest of hockey?s elite netminders.

Statistical Success and the Impact of the Summit Series
Not much was known about Tretiak before the 1972 Summit Series, but it is safe to say that many North American hockey fans underestimated the skills of the Russian goalie. Even though Tretiak, who was only 20 years old at the time, played to the tune of a 3.87 GAA and .884 Save Percentage during the 1972 Summit Series, the goalie impressed many Canadian hockey fans as he stole games from a Canadian team that had an all-star laden lineup. While Tretiak fared a little better during the 1974 Summit Series, it should also be of note that Ken Dryden (4.75 GAA, .838 Save Percentage) and Tony Esposito (3.33 GAA, .882 Save Percentage) did not do much better statistically than Tretiak did in the ?72 Summit Series.

After a hotly contested 1972 matchup between Canada and Russia, the hockey world was not satisfied with just one set of games between the dominant hockey forces of the world. The 1974 Summit Series featured the same home and away format as four games would be played in Canada and the other four in the Soviet Union. After leaving Canada, both teams had a victory and two ties, but it would be the USSR that emerged victorious as the Soviets won three of four games in Russia. Tretiak appeared in seven of the eight games and managed to keep his GAA to a 3.57 clip, but the hype surrounding Russia?s netminder was only starting to grow.

While the USSR dispatched Canada in the ?74 Summit Series, Tretiak?s reputation overseas only grew stronger. The Russian goalie went from a relative unknown to a feared stalwart within a matter of years and it was the goalie?s play that enabled many hockey fans to change their outlook on Russian hockey. Not only did the Summit Series illustrate that future international opponents would have to be much more prepared against the Russian National Team, it provided some much needed relief during a time when the Cold War crisis was at its peak. Cold War tensions persisted for more than a decade after Tretiak?s Summit Series debut in 1972, but international hockey provided the USSR and Canada a chance to display their hockey skills to the world. Even if the Summit Series did little to change the perception of the Soviet Union, the play of Tretiak endeared him to hockey fans across the world.

Players such as Valeri Kharlamov, Alexander Gusev, Valery Vasiliev, Boris Mikhailov, Alexander Yakushev, and Vladimir Petrov were just some of the players that dazzled Canadian players and fans with their crisp passing and precision scoring opportunities, but Tretiak certainly came away garnering some great respect from the adversaries and their crowd. Tretiak?s efforts in the Summit Series and in international play merited him a seventh round selection by the Montreal Canadiens at the 1983 Draft, but a career in the NHL was not in the workings for the Russian goalie. Even though the two extensive appearances at the ?72 and ?74 Summit Series exposed Tretiak?s abilities and potential, the goaltender put in quite an effort between the ?74 Summit Series and the 1983 Draft to cement his reputation as one of the great goalies of the late twentieth century.

Aside from playing a multitude of games for CSKA Moskva in the ?70s and early ?80s, Tretiak?s resume included a variety of success on an international level:

Tretiak?s performances on various stages illustrated that the goalie had what it took to compete in Russia and across the world in unfamiliar territory and surroundings. The netminder?s accomplishments included three gold medal victories as an Olympian, ten World Championships appearances that resulted in gold medals, and a gold medal in the 1981 Canada Cup and 1979 NHL Challenge Cup. While Tretiak was no stranger to winning gold medals, the netminder?s resume was all the more impressive because of the fact that he had only won silver (1980 Lake Placid Olympics, 1972 & 1976 World Championships) and bronze (1977 World Championships) a combined four times during a hockey career that wasn?t played to its fullest.

As the years passed by in Russia, Tretiak seemed to improve every year for CSKA Moskva and the same applied to the international tournaments that the goalie participated in. Tretiak was undoubtedly an Iron Man for the Russian National Team, but the goalie was not given a fair opportunity to test his abilities overseas as the Soviet government prevented Tretiak from going abroad to play in the NHL. Even though Tretiak prematurely retired after he was denied the opportunity to play for the Canadiens, the goalie?s legacy still lives on to this day and is illustrated in various forms.

Transcending the Craft

Belfour was coached by Tretiak (JON SALL/SUN-TIMES)
After retiring in the mid 1980s, Tretiak finally appeared in the NHL in the 90s with the Chicago Blackhawks. While hockey fans did not get to see Tretiak play any hockey upon his arrival to the NHL, his impact was felt during the 1990-1991 season as Chicago?s goaltending coach. While Belfour made it apparent that Tretiak was a boyhood idol for him and other Canadian kids growing up, the goalie mentioned how Tretiak had an impact on him during the ?90-?91 season despite not knowing the English language.

It was in Chicago where Tretiak embarked on the next phase of his career, as Belfour detailed the coach?s impact by saying:

?I had to teach myself for the most part, but we had Tretiak as our goalie coach in Chicago and he wasn?t real technical with us, but we did a lot of drills,? said Belfour, adding it was his first time in a decade of stopping pucks that he did position-specific drills.

Part of Tretiak?s game was based largely on the goalie positioning himself in the most optimal spots in his crease. By cutting down angles, playing deeper in his crease, and being able to incorporate elements of the butterfly and stand-up style, Tretiak was able to put himself in a position where he could react to most of the shots or plays thrown his way. Despite having a slight language barrier, Tretiak was able to impart his knowledge on Belfour, who had an outstanding ?90-?91 season with the Blackhawks as he went 43-19-7 with a GAA below 2.50.

Belfour went on to achieve a great amount of success in the NHL and the tutelage under Tretiak was undoubtedly a boost to ?The Eagle? as he commented:

?We had an interpreter but through body language I knew what he wanted me to do,? Belfour said. ?He?d put the pads on and go out on the ice with us. In fact, he had the pads on in practice one day and nobody could score on him. And Keenan wanted to start him. But he turned it down and said this is Eddie?s time. I?m still thankful for that, too.?

While some may happen to catch a glimpse of the back of Evgeni Nabokov?s jersey these days and see the number 20 being worn as a modern day tribute to Tretiak, Belfour was another netminder that wore the same number in honor of his childhood idol. Even though Belfour and Tretiak were only united for one season with the Chicago Blackhawks, positional play became one of the strongest aspects of Belfour?s game as the goalie continued his NHL career with other teams. Tretiak might have only been around for one year with the Blackhawks, but Belfour refined his game throughout the years to become a better positional netminder, much like Vladislav Tretiak.

Former greats such as Phil Esposito have gone on record to say that Tretiak played too deep in his own crease, but the Soviet style of hockey (particularly goaltending) dictated that a goalie should stay in their own crease and rely on lateral movements and reflexes rather than coming out of the net to challenge a shooter. Fusing elements of the butterfly and stand-up style allowed Tretiak to be a very successful goalie for CSKA Moskva as well as the Russian National Teams that he played for, but it was the goalie?s ability to show others the tricks of the trade that registered within the hockey community.

Not Just A School of Thought
After his time with the Chicago Blackhawks, Tretiak established a goalie school where he tutored the likes of Martin Brodeur and Jose Theodore. While teaching older goalies that were coming into the NHL seemed to be a forte of Tretiak?s, he also established a goalie school for young children. The Vladislav Tretiak Elite School of Goaltending continues to be considered one of the best and most challenging goalie schools in Canada and across the world.

Teaching younger kids the craft of hockey goaltending can be a great reward for some and it should come as no surprise as to why Tretiak?s school has been consistently attracting young kids that want to learn the art of netminding. Tretiak?s name has always been mentioned alongside the goaltending greats of the ?70s and ?80s, but his impact on the hockey community has been just as powerful. Aside from working with elite goalies such as Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek, and Theodore, Tretiak has chosen to dedicate his life to enriching hockey foundations for young kids that want to make it to the NHL some day.

Teaching young kids can be a fulfilling venture for any individual whose heart is in the right place, but Tretiak has made it his goal to share his knowledge with a wide array of individuals.

Being named the President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation was undoubtedly a huge honor that was bestowed on Tretiak during the mid 2000s and fans should expect the former netminder to avenge Team Russia?s quarterfinal ousting at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Under Tretiak?s tutelage, the Russian Team has won bronze and gold at the men?s ice hockey World Championships and hockey fans should expect some adjustments to be made in order to give Team Russia the best chance of succeeding at the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Careful Considerations?
Vladislav Tretiak?s historic career as a hockey player has been hotly contested by hockey fans throughout the last few decades. Some have argued that the hockey world was never able to see Tretiak?s abilities on full display against NHL talent for the course of a full season, but it was Soviet politics that prevented the netminder from ever playing overseas. While Tretiak?s inability to play in the NHL was not done through his own volition, the former goalie has done everything that he can in order to teach his trade to those willing to learn.

Tretiak was surrounded by talented forwards when he played for CSKA Moskva as well as the Russian National Teams of the 70s and 80s, but one also has to take into consideration that the goalie was put into some of the most pressure packed situations at a very young age. With Cold War tensions at a high level, Tretiak was thrust into the thick of things during the 1972 Summit Series at a mere 20 years of age. Even though the Russian teams that Tretiak played for were stacked with great offensive talent, the goalie was also exposed to a North American style of play that he was not accustomed to playing against.

After playing in the ?72 and ?74 Summit Series, Tretiak earned his stripes with a good portion of the North American hockey fan-base and he never looked back. During a time when individuals were on their heels because of a possible World War between the world?s superpowers, Tretiak, the Soviet Team, and Team Canada gave hockey fans across the world an outlet through which differences were set aside for the sake of competition. Not only did Tretiak play himself into hockey lore during the late 1970s, he opened the door for North Americans to adopt a view of Russian hockey players that had never been imagined.

Life after football harsh for some: Ex-Stamps star Johnson learned hard lesson at end of playing days

Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald July 17, 2012

Alondra Johnson faced his football mortality head-on in the most agonizing manner imaginable.

The Canadian Football League Hall-of-Fame linebacker was fighting for his job with the Calgary Stampeders at training camp in 2004 when, in the middle of a practice no less, new coach and GM Matt Dunigan told him he was being cut at the orders of team owner Michael Feterik.

And suddenly, Johnson was a man with a family to feed and no job, and very little money saved from his wonderful CFL career.

“I had no plan, no options,” recalled Johnson, over the phone on Monday from Gardena, Calif. “It was just the unknown factor, wondering how you’re going to take care of your kids, how you’re going to tell your wife that I don’t know how we’re going to pay the mortgage, and I don’t know how I’m going to pay these bills right now.

“I thank God for (then-president) Ron Rooke; he stepped up and helped me out financially because I had nothing at that point. I learned a lesson that day, and that lesson was that for all the time I was there, I should have had other things going on in my life outside of football. I should have got myself prepared better. I don’t blame Matt Dunigan and I don’t blame Michael Feterik — I blame myself because I should have taken the initiative to get myself established better.”

Which is why Johnson, along with other past and present Stampeders, is part of the Life Choice Dynamics team. Life Choice Dynamics is a program founded by Jack Fulton, a longtime friend of Johnson’s, who hopes to help CFL players make the transition to life after football.

It was Johnson’s plight after his retirement following the 2004 season (he would play out the string with the Saskatchewan Roughriders) that convinced Fulton there was a need for a transition program.

“With a lot of the stuff that’s happened to me, I understand how some of these guys feel,” said Fulton, a once-promising football player from Vulcan who dealt with addictions and various other demons before cleaning up his life. “I’ve dealt with depression in my life, and a lot of these things will keep you down if you let them.”

You can’t help but make the connection that former Stampeder running back Joffrey Reynolds might have benefited from talking with Fulton or Johnson (current Stamps Keon Raymond and Randy Chevrier, and alums Sheldon Napastuk and Herm Harrison also are advisors).

Reynolds, who faces criminal charges in relation to an incident on the weekend, had been waiting for a phone call from another CFL team, hoping to extend his career. But he also admitted last month that he’s seeing the prospect of so-called “real life” staring at him in the face.

“As much as I may or may not want it to be, and fortunately it came late in my career, but it’s something you have to come to grips with,” he said. “At some point in time, there’s going to be the Monday after football.”

Sadly, though, it seems that Reynolds hadn’t made any plans to cope with the very real prospect of having to make money outside of football.

That’s a familiar refrain to Johnson, who had his own off-field issues to deal with as he neared the end of his career.

“It’s unfortunate, the circumstances he’s going through and I can imagine the emotions he’s going through because . . . I know,” said Johnson. “It’s tough, when you don’t know how you’re going to take care of yourself and nobody’s giving you an opportunity and the doors aren’t opening the way you kind of figured. That’s the whole thing with Life Choice Dynamics, to raise the awareness factor that it’s time to start looking elsewhere.”

No professional athlete likes to come face to face with his or her own mortality. So much energy is poured into establishing a professional sports career that it’s tough to keep the flame lit for life after sports.

“I’m not planning on it any time soon, but you have to be ready, right?” said Chevrier, who’s involved in a real estate venture with Napastuk with Royal LePage Commercial. “I have a family to take care of and that’s the most important thing. They key is to be ready. I’ve been preparing for retirement since I started in the CFL, either teaching, sales jobs, doing mortgages, fitness training — I’ve always done something in the off-season. It’s nothing new to me, but you have to make sure guys are aware of that.”

Johnson is still paying the price for how much of his life revolved around football. He had odd jobs in the off-season, but nothing that led to anything. Today, he is a proud father and husband — his two sons are playing college football in the U.S. (he helped coach them last season), while three daughters are living with his wife Marguerite in Calgary — but he’s also out of work after being laid off recently.

“Jobs are very scarce in California, and a guy like me who’s going to be 47 this week, there’s not a lot of options for a person who doesn’t have a lot of work experience,” said Johnson, who plans to return to school in the fall to pursue a career. “Sometimes I wish I never played football; I wish I would have just stayed here and developed some kind of career here in California. I had a pretty decent job and I let it go to come to Canada because it was my lifelong dream to play ball. I don’t regret playing in Canada; I had some very memorable moments, and I think it was all in God’s plan for me to be there and to meet the people I met. But there’s always a price to be paid.”

And every player faces payment at some point, he said.

“I hope these guys understand that there’s no loyalty in the game of football, and you have to do what you need to do for yourself,” he said. “It’s a business. Straight up, it’s just a business.

“If you don’t believe that, then you’ll find out the hard way.”

-----

The same could be said for other pro (and amateur / Olympic) sports too... because there is life after a competitive sporting career!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Zach Parise 'ran the show' + 30 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman, CBC.ca Sports, July 18, 2012

During the Stanley Cup playoffs, I had time to read Behind the Moves, which is basically a 252-page oral history of hockey's general managers. It's written by Jason Farris, who is now a Dallas Stars executive vice-president.

The book is outstanding. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to re-read it, this time putting together a structured notes package on its subjects.

One of the best things about working at HNIC is the access it allows. However, Farris, who has more of a business background than a sportswriting one, got these guys to reveal quite a bit about their philosophies and thought processes. That includes guys who tend to be quite secretive, like Lou Lamoriello and Pierre Lacroix. The group was also very honest about each other.

It is available solely through a website called nhlgms.com. There will be a little bit of sticker shock, but I'd absolutely recommend it. Even if you're not a total hockey puck, the insight into how GMs think probably applies to other sports.

Quite honestly, I'm jealous I'm not the one who got to write it.

THE DYNAMIC DUO

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Michael Russo received great praise for his coverage of the Zach Parise/Ryan Suter free-agent extravaganza, especially for his wrap-up of how the deal went down.

Have had a chance to talk to several different sources over the last little while, and here are a few other details:

*Sounds like the bidding on Parise was instantly insane, with multiple immediate $100 million US bids. (Suter was slightly less crazy, lots of suitors but fewer nine-figure ones.) In horse racing, those that jump out to a quick pace are called "rabbits," and there were multiple hares here. Philadelphia's interest has been heavily reported, and at the end of the day, was the probably the highest bidder. But it's believed Buffalo also let both players know they would get $100 million apiece to dress for the Sabres. (Darcy Regier politely declined to comment.) There may have been others.

*What those initial offers did was force some of the teams who were legitimately in the race to increase their own proposals. The Wild were one. According to one source, Suter's agent, Neil Sheehy, called Minnesota on the evening of July 1, asking if the team was willing to adjust its package. (Sheehy did not want to discuss individual offers, saying it was unfair to the other teams involved.) Hearing that, GM Chuck Fletcher wisely increased his offer to Parise, too.

*On his July 4 conference call, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Suter wasn't interested in going to the Eastern Conference, a fact the defenceman later confirmed. Suter was made aware of every offer he received, but, by July 2, other teams were convinced the choice was between Minnesota and Detroit, both of whom made personal visits.

*Parise's situation was a little more complicated, at least for a while. It's believed he considered at least nine teams to various degrees -- New Jersey, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles. (Tried to press agent Wade Arnott for more detail, only to be told, "Zach would prefer to keep the process private.")

But, according to one source, after thinking about it, Parise eliminated the Eastern Conference, because, if he was to leave the Devils, he was unwilling to compete directly against them. Then, he dropped the other Western Conference teams and, as he later said on his conference call, it came down to New Jersey or his home state of Minnesota.

*Fletcher spent over a year working on a plan to get both players, but it became clear to several interested parties that, as Parise returned to his Minnesota home on July 3, "He was driving the bus," as one executive said. "It really became his process." Parise was down to two teams, and you have to believe he knew Suter was in the same position -- with both players having one of them (the Wild) in common. Suter was unwilling to go to the Devils. At that point, Parise basically had three choices: going back to New Jersey, going to Minnesota without Suter or convincing the defenceman to join him there. As Russo reported, he and Arnott did a lot of research into Minnesota's highly rated prospect pool, but Parise knew it would be much harder to win there without Suter.

*About 24 hours before the duo made it official, the Wild signed free-agent forward Jake Dowell. Dowell and Suter are close, represented by the same agent. When that happens, opponents tend to think, "Uh oh, they've landed the big fish."

*There's been a lot written and said about Detroit no longer "being a destination point" for players, but that's oversimplifying. If anything, the Red Wings were hurt by the fact Parise was the one who, at the end, took control over the situation. They worked Suter much harder. Think even the Wild were surprised (and impressed) at how Parise ran the show.

*It's been reported several times, but it's pretty impressive that Parise did, very late in the process, ask for the deals to be altered so that he and Suter would have the exact same financial structure. He took less -- and made his buddy a little bit more.

30 THOUGHTS

1. Right now, the owners on the NHL's negotiating committee are Jeremy Jacobs (Boston), Murray Edwards (Calgary), Ted Leonsis (Washington) and Craig Leipold (Minnesota). (Brian Burke, Jim Rutherford, Bill Daly and Brendan Shanahan also attended last Friday's meeting.) If Leipold is there when negotiations resume Wednesday, it's going to be very interesting. I have no problem with what he did in free agency. But, players, agents and even NHL execs found it funny he could be part of a group asking for such huge concessions after handing out $196 million to two players. Wouldn't be surprised if someone asks him if he knew about the NHL's opening salvo when he offered those contracts, or what he intends to propose with the 13-year deals should there be a five-year limit on term.

2. The idea of term limits led to a lot of discussion about what that would mean for Shea Weber, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, all of whom are scheduled to be unrestricted next year. But, if you really go through the list (capgeek is a good resource) the list of potential UFAs/RFAs is staggering. Alex Edler, Joffrey Lupul, Kari Lehtonen, David Clarkson, Milan Lucic, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Alex Pietrangelo, Brad Marchand, Zach Bogosian, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Max Pacioretty, Jeff Skinner and Jordan Eberle. How many of them will want to get deals done under the current rules?

3. One agent explained, though, that the dilemma will be whether or not you think there will be a salary rollback. Some players who signed after the 2005 settlement made more money because they weren't affected by the 24 per cent drop. Not sure that's relevant to a superduperstar like Weber, but to some of the others, it would be.

4. Couple other things: The plan to prevent any player from reaching unrestricted free agency until after 10 NHL seasons did not include an age limit. For example, Jason Garrison would have had to wait until 2020, when he would be 35, to hit the market.

5. Also, while the rookie contracts were to be extended to five years, they weren't necessarily guaranteed. They were set up as two guaranteed seasons, with three more one-year club options. So, if you're a star, you're locked up long-time. If you're a bust, you're done quick. In theory, this makes some sense, but, as part of the overall package there's no sale.

6. People rooting hardest for a settlement? Coaches. Some of them have 50 per cent pay cuts in their contracts should there be a lockout. It depends on the team, but some executives are to be shaved approximately 25 per cent. Don't think there are many teams who keep staff-wide salaries at regular levels.

7. Enough labour. One more note about Parise: Seven days after the Cup Final, he attended a charity game for "Defending the Blueline" -- an organization he supports in Minnesota. That's a tough time for a player, one week after your season ends -- most charities don't like to schedule events around then, because they understand guys need to decompress. But Parise kept his commitment, creating a tonne of media interest. Great stuff.

8. While Minnesota's strong group of prospects appealed to Parise, Fletcher made some smart moves in signing Dowell, Zenon Konopka and Torrey Mitchell. Adding that depth means the Wild won't have to rush the Granlunds, the Coyles and the Brodins (although he's a defenceman). It will be critical for those players to make an impact on their rookie-level contracts. You want to make sure they're ready when you start the contract clock, although those guys are pretty close.

9. Good line about the Wild: "They probably want rookie contracts to last forever," one GM laughed.

10. Had some good conversations with other teams about Minnesota's moves. The thing they all talked about is how some organizations will always be where people want to go. (New York Rangers, for example.) Others have to work hard at it. Minnesota and Carolina made themselves "destination teams" this summer. Players look at Parise, Suter and Jordan Staal -- three respected guys -- and say, "Hmmmm...what attracts them? What should I be seeing here?"

11. Dallas quietly did a decent job, too. Getting Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr did not go unnoticed.

12. The Stars were willing to give Whitney a second year, which separated them from the pack. Couldn't reach him to ask about it, but people who know Whitney say he has this hilarious theory that it's easier for small guys to play into their 40s. Apparently, he's quite the convincing salesman.

13. Luke DeCock of The Raleigh News & Observer had a great note about how the Hurricanes immediately named Staal an assistant captain. Why? Because fans wanted to order jerseys and you've got to make them accurate.

14. Speaking of jersey sales, called a Canuck store (don't ask) and was told there is big demand for Garrison's in Vancouver. He hasn't been given a number yet. The Canucks don't like going too high, which makes me wonder if it's not going to be "52." When Sidney Crosby is available in 2025, it's "8" or "7" for you, buddy.

15. 125,000 YouTube hits for this superb Ducks video announcing Teemu Selanne's return. They filmed it in May, with the understanding that if Selanne retired, they'd "burn" the footage. It's great stuff.

16. Had a lengthy conversation Monday with new Oilers coach Ralph Krueger. Talked about some of his ideas and learned he thinks similarly to two successful bench bosses, Mike Babcock and Ken Hitchcock.

17. Red Wings players will tell you Babcock's belief is that "when we're defending, you do it my way. When we have the puck, you can create." (He laughed when asked about that.) Krueger's plan for Edmonton will be along those lines. "The only way we're going to learn to win is by having a solid team structure," Krueger said. "We had a lot of 'immature games' last season...they were fun to play and watch, but we lost. We need to learn to manage the game better -- play to the score, the clock, the situation."

18. Krueger added the critical thing will be "finding a team defensive structure that works for the whole game, but allows players to use their intuition offensively." He explained that when it comes to that part of the game, he believes more in "principles" than a set system. An example would be always having a net presence on the power play. As long as those principles are followed, the Halls, Hemskys and Nugent-Hopkinses of the world can create.

19. The Hitchcockian stuff came when we discussed Edmonton's forward lines. In Dallas, Hitchcock once explained how he believed more in forward "pairs" than trios. For example, Mike Modano always played with Jere Lehtinen. The third could be rotated. Krueger wants to see if he can create a flexible, dangerous lineup that way.

20. He explained that he liked Jordan Eberle with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner with Ales Hemsky. That not only allows him to move Hall around the lineup, but also rotate others depending on the situation -- Ryan Smyth, Ryan Jones, Ben Eager and potentially even Shawn Horcoff on the wing. I'm really curious to see this. This stuff fascinates me.

21. Some of you will be wondering: what about Nail Yakupov? Krueger wants to see how the number one pick looks on the left side. Yakupov is used to the right, but with Eberle and Hemsky there, it's pretty jammed. Finally, Krueger closed by saying one of the most important things moving forward for the Oilers will be the group "demanding more from each other and the team right from the beginning."

22. Couple other Edmonton notes (should point out Krueger is not the source for any of this): think the Oilers, desperately searching for defencemen, took a long look at Islander Mark Streit. Garth Snow would not address that, but did say via text message, "I have no intention to trade Streit."

23. Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey got a lot of attention for helping recruit Justin Schultz to Oilertown, but do not underestimate the role Hall played. Word is his sales pitch was extremely impressive, because he was unafraid to discuss the tough things the team has gone through -- and how he believes those will be fixed.

24. Sam Gagner's arbitration is tentatively scheduled for Friday. This one's going to be interesting if it gets that far. The Oilers are probably thinking David Perron ($3.8 million AAV) while agent Jeff Jackson is likely looking at Brandon Dubinsky ($4.2M). Saw-off in the middle?

25. Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.

26. The endgame for Luongo? If it doesn't happen with Florida, they'll ask him for more destinations. Eventually, he's going to have to play along, because he has "no-trade," not "no-move" protection. But, there's no real deadline now except for fan and media impatience.

27. Have to believe that, yes, Toronto's inquired about Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But there are doubts Burke is incredibly serious about him. Was he serious about Martin Brodeur? Yes. Is he more serious than he lets on about Luongo? Yes. Bernier doesn't really fit Toronto's stated criteria of a veteran in goal.

28. Shea Weber: the Predators met with Weber this week. Ultimately, they're going to have to say, "Look, we just went through this with Ryan Suter. We need an honest answer." If the response is anything less than a near-immediate signature on a long-term contract, David Poile's probably going to have to trade him -- barring severe CBA changes. Even if the owners got no free agency for 10 years (as in last week's proposal), Weber's played seven. So three more seasons is a best-case scenario for Nashville without a renewed commitment.

29. Been a lot written about a one-year, huge-money offer sheet. Think a couple of good teams have at least thought about it. Look, if you really believe getting Weber is going to mean giving up four 27th picks, he's worth it. Now, I know the counter: what if he leaves you after just one year? This is the dicey part: you almost need a nudge-nudge, wink-wink "understanding" that he's going to stay. And, if Gary Bettman finds out, he's going to CRUSH the team that does it. Google "David Stern Joe Smith Timberwolves."

30. So, if it does happen (and most GMs are skeptical), the more likely scenario is this: a team calls Poile and says, "We're going to offer sheet him if you won't make a deal." (Phil Kessel to Toronto followed this path.)

BONUS END-OF-SEASON THOUGHTS

31. Rick Nash: MLive's Ansar Khan reported Tuesday night that Detroit made a run at the Columbus captain, speculating that Johan Franzen and/or Valtteri Filppula would be the centrepiece. For what it's worth, I'd heard the latter but not the former (although Khan is much closer to it than I am). Scott Howson's getting critiqued for his stubbornness, but what if the trade proves that to be the right play?

32. Think the Red Wings are very confident that they can go in different directions because Babcock can coach multiple styles and systems. He didn't exactly preach puck possession in Anaheim, but showed up in Detroit, saw who was on his roster and realized, "We can do that here." If the roster dictates another adjustment, he can deliver.

33. Shane Doan: ESPN's Craig Custance quoted a GM as being "90-per-cent sure" Doan will turn to the Coyotes. That's probably true, but I really wonder how much he's being tempted. Only a fool underestimates the Coyotes on-ice, a brilliantly run and coached organization full of players who compete beyond belief. But, Doan's getting great offers to play with the Sedins or Pavel Datsyuk or Sidney Crosby or Claude Giroux or Joe Thornton. He'll be 36 in October. How hard is he thinking about trying to win a Cup on a high-revenue team for the first time in his career?

34. Multiple reports the Stanley Cup winners are looking at Doan, too. Get the sense Dean Lombardi is one of those guys who believes it's not a good idea for a champion to come back intact. It's hard enough to repeat without being a little stale.

35. Think the Coyotes, who are looking for offensive help, really like Boston's David Krejci. I'm not as certain the Bruins are shopping Krejci, but they are loaded down the middle -- especially as Tyler Seguin readies for an expanded role. That is probably where all the Keith Yandle rumours come from.

36. The only reason I'd trade Yandle is, at the All-Star Game, he knew all the words to Drake's songs.

37. Alex Semin: you try to be careful with Semin, because, it reaches a point where it's like piling on. But, here's the issue: he always seems unhappy. Last year's playoffs weren't easy on either him or Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin, though, decided to put on the best possible face because the team eliminated the defending champs and pushed the Rangers to seven games. Semin didn't do that. It's a long season and it's hard on teams when guys are like that. He's got incredible talent, and if he ever showed a little more warmth (for lack of a better term), opinions might change.

38. Patrick Kane: Teams have been told he's not going anywhere. (Thoughts like this one scare me, because I worry he gets dealt tomorrow.) Think some of it comes down to Stan Bowman feeling a real sense of responsibility towards a player who used to live with him, and making sure everything is okay. Good on Bowman if that's the case.

39. Dan Boyle: Name that has popped up a few times. At 36, can still carry the puck, run a powerplay and has some of the best head-fakes in the NHL. (Only offensive concern: has trouble getting his shot through.) He just lost full no-trade protection (now limited), so it sounds like teams are calling about him.

40. As the Sharks looked at adding another coach, some sources were saying, "They are going to add someone with lots of bench experience." Others swore it was about "getting someone who had a lengthy NHL career." After hearing the choice was Larry Robinson, you understood the confusion. He qualifies under both guidelines.

41. Some Canadiens fans were upset their team didn't approach Robinson, but one thing the organization did was improve its coaching depth. Obviously, the hope is Michel Therrien is a success. But they've added Gerard Gallant and Sylvain Lefebvre, both of whom will be bench bosses some day.

42. Thought it was interesting that Montreal wasn't really interested in extending Carey Price beyond six years. God only knows what the new rules will be, but when Price is done, he'll be 31. That's the age both Ilya Bryzgalov and Roberto Luongo signed their big deals. There's another big contract in Price's future.

43. Two last notes on the Stanley Cup Final: When the Kings scored three goals in their five-minute Game 6 power play, wondered when was the last time a team did that. Had to be a long time, right? Not so much. Ace stat man Jeff Girodat snared the answer: Columbus did it against Nashville on December 22. Jeff Carter had two of the goals.

44. Also, the Kings became the first champion to use only six defencemen the entire playoffs since the 1980 New York Islanders. When you're that healthy and that consistent, you're laughing.

THANK YOU

This is the final 30 Thoughts Blog of the 2011-12 NHL season. Wanted to thank all of the players, coaches and executives who answer my annoying questions; the reporters around the league whose work creates ideas; the media relations people who help set up the necessary interviews; the poor cbc.ca editors who comb through these inane ramblings; and, most importantly, the readers. If you weren't interested, there'd be no point in writing it.

I am very fortunate to cover hockey for a living.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Preds face painful reality of being a small-market, small-revenue NHL franchise

DAVID SHOALTS, The Globe and Mail, Jul. 19 2012

The reality of being a small-market, small-revenue NHL franchise clubbed the Nashville Predators over the head in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

No matter how carefully you spend your money, how carefully and how smart you draft and develop players, build hope in your fan base for better days ahead, sooner or later one of the big boys is simply going to reach over and grab your lunch.

It happened for the second time in two weeks in the early morning hours of Thursday when the Philadelphia Flyers signed superstar defenceman and restricted free agent Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet worth $110-million (all currency U.S.), according to a TSN report. This came on the heels of seeing Weber's defence partner, Ryan Suter, depart as a free agent to the Minnesota Wild for a 13-year, $98-million contract.

The Predators' Big Three will become the Big One unless Nashville general manager David Poile convinces his owners to match the Flyers' offer. He has seven days to do so but this will be difficult, as the offer supposedly has $68-million in signing bonuses in the first six years, a big swallow for a perpetually scuffling franchise like the Predators.

In a statement released by the Predators Thursday afternoon, Poile repeated an earlier assertion that he would match any offer sheet extended to Weber. But, he added, "due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term." Poile said he will have no further comment until a decision is made within the next seven days.

It seems it was only a few weeks ago that Poile stood up proudly at a press conference and announced goaltender Pekka Rinne just signed a seven-year, $49-million contract. Poile followed that by saying he planned to keep Weber and Suter in the fold by signing them to similar contracts.

This raised a number of eyebrows, given the Predators' commitment to building through player development rather than big spending because the owners do not have deep pockets. But Poile seemed sincere and he did try hard to keep Suter from leaving with what the player's agent called a substantial offer.

In the end, though, Suter's comments after he signed with the Wild made it look like he never intended to stay. And Poile's emotional reaction ("I will never, ever understand that.") underscored the frustration of all small-market operators in trying to compete with the big-money teams.

Now, less than two weeks later, Poile has the same old pain.

However, one way to look at this is Weber, 26, is making it easy for the Predators to keep him. By signing the Flyers' offer sheet, he created a contract for what he and his representative believe he is worth for the rest of his NHL career and all the Predators have to do to keep him is match it.

There is no doubt Poile wants to match it. He said one of the biggest regrets of his career as an NHL GM came in 1990 when he was running the Washington Capitals and let another superstar defenceman who was the prototype for Weber, Scott Stevens, depart through an offer sheet with the St. Louis Blues.

The fistful of first-round draft picks that came as compensation for losing Stevens never matched the departed star's value. If Weber leaves, the Predators can get four first-round picks in the NHL entry draft but that, too, is small beer for a defenceman who is among the best two or three at his trade. With Weber in the lineup as a way-more-than-adequate replacement for the concussed and aging Chris Pronger, the Flyers will finish high enough to leave Poile with four picks at the end of the first round.

But just as it is today, the Stevens decision was not in Poile's hands. Abe Pollin, who owned the Capitals at the time, did not want to pay Stevens the big money. The Predators owners may want to pay Weber but the question is whether they can. We will find out in seven days.

It can also be asked if Poile and his owners really want to match the offer. Another view, and the more likely one, is that by signing it Weber indicated he doesn't want to stay in Nashville. Weber's move indicates he knows the team will never move into the top echelon of contenders because it will never be able to afford the best talent.

This leaves the Predators facing another unpleasant reality. Just as the team seemed to be moving ahead as a playoff contender and the fans in another of the league`s non-traditional markets were responding, they were reminded the Predators are not a destination franchise for the best players.

On the Philadelphia side, the move is obviously one more effort by management to squeeze in one more rich, long-term contract on the chance such deals will be banned in the next collective agreement. It is also one more reminder hypocrisy comes easily to NHL owners.

Flyers chairman Ed Snider is an important member of the NHL`s bargaining team in the labour negotiations. This is the same group that presented the players with an offer last week that essentially said all of the economic fixes needed to shore up the small-revenue teams should come out of the players` pockets with about a 22-per-cent cut in their share of NHL revenue plus severe restrictions in their ability to sell their services on the open market.

This, of course, didn`t stop Snider from casually stepping on one of the poor relatives when he needed to replace Pronger.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 45 of 45