1339 posts :: Page 5 of 45
By: Likes:

Steve Moore set for justice
Trial committed for Bertuzzi suit

By STEVE SIMMONS, QMI Agency March 7 2011

TORONTO - The unfortunate anniversary of Steve Moore’s last night of professional hockey comes Tuesday, seven years after his head was pile-driven to the ice by Todd Bertuzzi — and still there is nothing resembling justice.

There is no official trial date set for the civil suit launched by Moore. There is no judge yet assigned to the case. But there is, finally, after so much paper work filed, after so many depositions and counter-claims, some hope that justice is on its way.

To be accurate, the matter has been officially set for trial. Maybe it will begin late this year. More likely, the expected two-month trial that is certain to rock the hockey world, will find its way to court in early 2012. Already, some national networks have talked about applying to have the case televised live, which is highly unusual by Canadian judicial standards.

But this is not just a hockey story anymore. It’s about a career ruined and a life seemingly placed on hold. It’s about a Harvard graduate still having headache issues almost every time he thinks. It’s about the premeditation of an on-ice stalker. And now, with brain injuries and concussions and head shots being so much the focus of the problems of pro hockey, the trial arrives with new information about the largest single issue facing the sport.

Moore’s case is considered by many to be the single largest civil suit involving professional athletes in Canadian legal history. And with each passing year, the price has gone up.

“It has been very difficult for the process to take this long,” said Tim Danson, the lawyer representing Moore in his action against the Detroit Red Wings’ winger. “But actually, we needed the passing of time to fully understand the magnitude of the brain injury. This (incident) just didn’t terminate his NHL career. It impacted everything in his life. It impacted his future and his future employment.

“We’ve had years to look at this now and because Steve Moore has exceptionally high intelligence and is a Harvard graduate, we needed to evaluate all the factors involved. If we went to a jury too early, you wouldn’t have had the answers. It has been a lot of years and a lot of tests and we’ve learned a lot about the brain. I can’t really go into details right now because that will be a live issue at the trial.”

This will be a civil trial of suits and counter-suits, with a litany of lawyers everywhere and fingers pointed in all directions. Moore is suing Bertuzzi and Orca Bay Ltd., the former owner of the Vancouver Canucks, and the figure he is asking for is certain to be enormous. Danson will represent Moore. Geoffrey Adair will represent Bertuzzi, who has blamed then coach Marc Crawford, now head coach in Dallas, for his part in the incident. Crawford is represented by the impressive Jessica Kimmel. Orca Bay is represented by Alan D’Silva.

Understand this: This is an all-star team of litigators, playing for keeps here, with third-party actions involved. Bertuzzi has counter-sued Crawford and Orca Bay has legally pushed to separate itself from Bertuzzi, whose career earnings since the injury to Moore have been just below $20 million US and that includes a season locked out. And dealing with Bertuzzi won’t necessarily be easy.

In one of his depositions, Bertuzzi refused to answer 63 different questions. He won’t be given similar latitude in court.

Right now, Moore, the former Colorado Avalanche player, is going through another round of comprehensive medical tests. He must wonder how many times he must be poked and prodded before he sees anything resembling a settlement. It has been far too long already for a player whose life has been so severely altered by Bertuzzi’s assault.

“This is a unique trial,” Danson said. “The actual event was captured by multiple television cameras. We have video of the game and the assault from seven or eight different angles. There’s not really dispute over what happened.”

Just over how it happened. Why it happened. And who ultimately is responsible?

No doubt the names called to the witness stand in the case will include Bertuzzi, Crawford, Moore, then Canucks’ general manager, Brian Burke, his successor, Dave Nonis, NHL vice-president Colin Campbell. They will be among the headliners.

But this will be a case for the headlines if not the ages, right from beginning to end.

steve.simmons@sunmedia.ca

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

More Moose Jaw and the Crushed Can rink... Carns did play-by-play and wrote newspaper stories / did the radio interviews with us "back in the day!"

Carns and the Crushed Can

Gregg Drinnan Blog - Kamloops Daily News March 10 2011

Some of my best WHL memories are from the Crushed Can. And some of them involve Rob Carnie, a friend from days of yore who once was the radio voice of the Moose Jaw Warriors on CHAB. He now is a 'Featured Personality' on CHAB and is the host of the 800 CHAB Morning Show and The Heartland at Noon.

This being today’s hockey world, his nickname was, uhh, Carns. Unless you were the late Bill Hicke, then a co-owner, GM and sometimes coach of the Regina Pats. To Hicke, Carnie was Brother Love. Might have had something to do with the white suits.

Anyway . . . I got a message from Carns on Wednesday that included something he had written on his Crushed Can memories.

This, hockey fans, is what the Crushed Can and memories are all about . . .

“I started attending hockey games and playing hockey at the MJCC in the fall of '74 when the Carnie family moved to Moose Jaw from Regina. I played in ‘Learn to Play’ for a season and among the other boys was my childhood friend Greg Thatcher. I remember his father Colin ‘coaching’ us while smoking a cigar and telling me I would never be able to take a backhander with a ‘damn curve on the blade of your stick." Why the hell do I remember that?

“I CLEARLY remember my next season . . . in the Church Minor Hockey Association with the St. Joseph Seals, my first ‘real’ team! We practised every Monday morning at 7 in one COLD Civic Centre. We won the championship that season.

“I remember everything was painted orange and blue, including the ice cleaning machine which was an old Willy's Jeep with the ice cleaning apparatus welded on. It even had a name . . . The Connor's Pup. I have no idea why it had a name.

“I remember an old gentleman named Sid who took tickets. He was always smiling and always well-dressed.

“I remember the Regina Silver Foxes coming into Moose Jaw to play the Canucks and my sister's boyfriend, Dave Desautels, who wore No. 10 for the Foxes, blowing out a knee in front of my eyes. He taught me to skate.

“I remember the Japanese national team playing at the Civic Centre and a young man named Doug Smail dominating for the home side in a 4-2 victory. The place was packed.

“I remember what a wonderful player Chris Chelios was as a boy . . . he played two seasons in Moose Jaw.

“I remember hundreds of people smoking while watching the games . . . cigarettes, cigars and pipes . . . and the blue haze that hung over the ice after each Canucks game.

“I saw every home game in a five-year stretch where the Moose Jaw Canucks went to the SJHL championship final versus the Prince Albert Raiders every season. We lost every time. I remember a full-scale brawl in the pregame warmup of one of those games. There were sticks and gloves and helmets, blood and hair all over the ice. There were no penalties.

“I remember the Warriors moving here from Winnipeg. I thought we should have called them the Canucks.

“I remember Graham James. Shame.

“I remember stepping into the broadcast booth as a cocky 21-year-old to assist Bryn Griffiths, then the voice of the Warriors, and thinking I was ‘The Goods!’

“I remember some wonderful young men wearing Warriors jerseys and some wonderful young hockey players. No one was more dynamic and entertaining than Theoren Fleury. No one.

“I remember the adrenaline flowing through my body minutes before ‘Showtime’ on 800 CHAB. I loved that. I used to live for it.

“I remember my old Dad walking up the steep stairs before Warriors games and looking up at me in the broadcast booth and grinning. He was proud of me. He never told me that. I just knew it. I loved him more than I can describe. I miss him.

“And . . . I'll miss the Civic Centre!”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hockey Calgary considers ban on bodychecking in peewee hockey

By Sean Myers and Deborah Tetley, Calgary Herald March 11, 2011

Hockey Calgary is poised to take a harder look this spring at the contentious issue of bodychecking at the peewee level.

President Perry Cavanagh expects a motion at the annual general meeting in June, which could either call for a committee to study the issue or possibly ask for physical contact to be eliminated from the game for 11-and 12-year-olds.

"It's obviously a risk and safety factor that we are obligated to review, discuss, analyze, debate and make a decision if we want to make any changes or modifications to the existing system in the spirit of understanding the risks," said Cavanagh.

"I suspect that there would be a direction to strike a subcommittee to come back to the board with recommendations for changes. That would be more practical and reasonable to do, rather than jumping to any conclusions or taking a knee-jerk reaction to it."

As of Thursday, Hockey Calgary's website features a page of links to studies, reports and articles on both sides of the body checking debate.

The discussion surfaces as Canada's highest level of hockey, the NHL, deals with outrage from across the country following a devastating check that resulted in yet another in a string of recent high-profile concussions from hits.

Violence in the game is once again front and centre following a vicious-looking check Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara levelled on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty in a National Hockey League game on Tuesday.

Although the head-first hit into a stanchion that left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra isn't directly connected to body checking among preteens, young players do try to emulate their hockey heroes which can lead to dangerous plays, says Cavanagh.

"That's always a concern we have. The kids are watching that level of play and they expect that to be the standard of play at the minor level and they're definitely emulating it.

"But really they are two separate and distinct issues. Head shots versus checking are different situations. Those things need to be dealt with independently, head shots will happen in a league where there is not body checking."

One peewee coach in Calgary -who supports body checking at that level -says his peers are divided on the issue.

"Some say checking should start at the atom level, when they are Timbits," said Troy Brazzoni, of the Westwood Hockey Association.

Brazzoni said pee wee is an appropriate age for players to bodycheck, but notes that the onus needs to be on the coaches to ensure kids are being taught to hit -and be hit.

"Checking is a big part of the game, so they might as well start learning how to do it and do it properly."

Cavanagh wants a review done that would take into account the latest research, including a study by the University of Buffalo that shows 66 per cent of injuries in hockey result from accidents, not body checking, and one completed last June at the University of Calgary that shows body checking dramatically increases rates of concussions in peewee players.

The author of the U of C study, sport epidemiologist Carolyn Emery, said body checking more than triples the risk of concussion and injury in 11 and 12 year olds.

The study compared injury and concussion rates between players in Quebec -where body checking isn't allowed until bantam -with Alberta peewee players. Emery said an estimated 1,000 game-related injuries and 400 game-related concussions could be prevented per year in 11-and 12-year-old Alberta players if body checking was eliminated.

"Not to say that there's not other aspects that need to be addressed, but certainly the science gives us pretty conclusive evidence that a strong consideration to delaying the age of body checking in competition needs to be considered," said Emery.

If Hockey Calgary did change its rules around body checking, Calgary players would still have to play against teams in other Alberta jurisdictions where it would still be allowed in tournaments and provincial playoffs.

This could be a problem said Hockey Alberta president Annie Orton, who said most parents in the province believe body checking belongs in peewee level hockey.

"It would make it difficult, because 90 per cent of our membership want it there. If Calgary chose to change, it would then make it more difficult for those teams that are playing within Calgary to play anywhere else."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

As NHL GMs prepare to convene in Florida, there's no question what issue will top their agenda.

TSN Mark Spector March 11, 2011

CLEARWATER, FLA — A year ago, on the Sunday before the annual National Hockey League general managers’ meetings, Matt Cooke must have decided the agenda was not to his liking.

It was on Sunday March 7, 2010, when his hit on Marc Savard set the GMs’ mandate, and over the next three days in Boca Raton, Rule 48 was born.

"You have to be conscious of trends, and there was a trend," said Vancouver GM Mike Gillis. "We saw those (back pressure) hits that were resulting in devastating injuries — and they were addressed. Now, that rule is still being worked on. Now we’re seeing a different kind of hit."

They will reconvene on Monday through Wednesday in the same Florida coastal town, and the primary goal hasn’t changed: They’ll remain focused on what the Official NHL Rulebook calls: "Rule 48 — Illegal Check to the Head."

Stand down, anti-fighting lobby. The recent call for eliminating fighting from the NHL is not specifically on the agenda.

"I have not heard anyone suggest that it’s going to be a topic," said Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. "I assume it will come up … but I certainly do not detect any appetite for the elimination of fighting."

NHL vice president Colin Campbell agreed.

"Anything that is part of the landscape of concussion or hard hits, we will discuss," he said.

Campbell would not divulge the three-day agenda, but he also indicated that the elimination of fighting is not on the National Hockey League’s front burner.

Campbell, who deferred to Mike Murphy on the Zdeno Chara ruling following the hit on Montreal’s Max Pacioretty because Campbell’s son Gregory is Chara’s Boston teammate, also said the recent furor over the Pacioretty incident simply focuses the GMs down a path they have already been travelling.

"Doesn’t change it at all. Not one iota," Campbell said of the furor over the Pacioretty-Chara incident. "It only highlights that people are looking for the NHL to do something (further on head shots). It’s incumbent on us to do something, but not in haste."

Added Gillis: "I do know there is clearly a public outcry. We’ll field that in discussion."

And so on Monday the GMs will view a league presentation chronicling perhaps hundreds of different hits that have resulted in concussions going back through the decades.

Then the GMs will traditionally break into smaller groups charged with examining the different elements of the game that have resulted in concussions.

Rule 48 contains language that states, "A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted."

This time around, Burke sees three ways the GMs may extend the reach of Rule 48.

"One is status quo, where there is a feeling the rule is working. That some amount of contact has to be permitted," Burke began. "We don’t want this league to be like the OHL or college, where an otherwise clean check that results in contact with the head is penalized."

The second option could be to devise a minor penalty to be called any time the head is contacted during a check. Option No. 3 would be to retain the same standards, but direct Campbell towards protracted suspensions.

"Push for longer, stiffer suspensions. Ask Collie to do more enhanced review," Burke said. "The issue is the role of hitting in our game. We need (north-south, legal hits) in our game. In the OHL that’s a penalty if the head is contacted. We’ve got to keep that hit in our game."

As concussions rise however, the pressure mounts for the NHL to find a solution. And it’s not just coming from inside the game. It is fans, politicians, sponsors — everyone.

That causes Burke and his colleagues to look inward. These guys consider themselves the protectors of the game’s integrity, a role they take very seriously.

"Let’s start with the basic premise that we’re going to have head injuries," Burke said. "The notion that we’re going to get to zero concussions, that’s just ridiculous. You take physical contact out, and people just aren’t interested in watching it."

The GMs will also discuss different overtime formats once again, perhaps moving from 4-on-4 to 3-on-3 at some point in the extra period.

Though Burke admitted his issue with the limited number of post-deadline call-ups will have little traction, he’ll pitch his "bear hug" rule, which would allow a defenceman to wrap his arms around a forward as a protective measure.

We’re doubtful that will fly.

He’ll also re-pitch his "hybrid" icing scheme, which would see the whistle blown if the defensive player is winning the race for the puck at the hashmarks, but allow the race to go the distance if the offensive player is tied or in the lead.

"They use it in the USHL," Burke said. "It eliminates the risk, but saves the race."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

MCKENZIE: WHICH WAY DOES THE NHL GO IN THE HEADSHOT DEBATE?

BOB MCKENZIE TSN 3/11/2011

It has been a fascinating week in the NHL, especially on the crime and punishment front. The Chara-Pacioretty situation is, hour by hour and day by day, evolving and it remains to be seen what impact it may have on how the game is played and/or governed.

Certainly, when an influential owner such as Montreal's Geoff Molson writes an open letter advocating a significant change - owners, as opposed to general managers, being more proactive on rule changes and setting the agenda of how the game is played - it represents a whole new dynamic and much uncertainty.

All of this is unfolding on the eve of annual NHL GM meetings, which take place Monday through Wednesday in Boca Raton, Fla. The following story and the research for it was completed prior to Chara-Pacioretty. It remains to seen what the fallout will be on the events of the last week, but none of that should serve to diminish the issues and how the GMs intended to deal with them. Nevertheless, it was important to simply note the frame of reference for this story and the research were completed prior to Chara-Pacioretty.

The NHL general managers will gather in Boca Raton, Fla., on Monday for three days of meetings. There will be many items concerning the game that will be discussed but the one that is guaranteed to garner more coverage than any other is that of the issue of hits to the head, concussions and the league's rules to combat them.

This comes as no surprise to anyone. Concussions in hockey appear to be epidemic. And there has barely been a week gone by since a year ago at this time, when the NHL introduced Rule 48 to penalize blindside hits to the head, that hits to the head/concussions/Rule 48 haven't been at the forefront of any issue-oriented hockey discussion.

It's gotten to the point where there's a certain level of battle fatigue for many in the game and also many fans when it comes to the subject of concussions and head hits.

It's a fast, physical game that has only gotten faster and more physical and some would suggest it's never been more dangerous to play than it is right now.

But hockey has always been an inherently dangerous, physical game and many would argue that's never going to change.

Yet if many are weary of the head-checking debate and the mere mention of the word concussion causes eyes to glaze over, no one disputes that it's not going away, not in hockey or football or anywhere else.

Societal and medical standards and pressures are going to keep the issue of brain trauma at the forefront, probably for years to come.

So the GMs in Boca will dutifully discuss it, which raises the question: Where do we go from here? Where, specifically, does the NHL go?

There are no easy answers, but TSN went looking for them nonetheless.

We reached out to all 30 NHL general managers to try to get some sense of their collective mindset as they prepare to meet to discuss this and other issues.

This is far too complex a subject to make easy generalizations but we have attempted to frame the issue in some very broad terms to get a barometer of where they're at. The GMs, keep in mind, are effectively the gatekeepers for the game. That isn't to say the players, via the NHL Players' Association and/or the NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee, don't have a huge say in how the game is played. And NHL owners have ultimate power as any recommendations from the GMs require approval by the board of governors before they become law.

But it is the GMs who set the agenda on rule changes and have the greatest impact on how the game is played and governed on everything from rules to suspensions.

In individual phone calls with every GM in the league -- and all 30 responded -- they were asked to classify which position currently comes closest to representing their feelings on the issue of head hits and where the league is going next.

Three options or, for purposes of this exercise, three doors were available to them and the only provision was that their standing would be chronicled anonymously.

Door No. 1 was the status quo. That is to say it represents a level of satisfaction with what the NHL has done with Rule 48 as well as other penalites/suspensions for hits to the head with no strong desire to make any further changes at this time.

Door No. 2 was the extreme position that any hit to the head, whether intentional or unintentional, is unacceptable and illegal and should be punished at the very least with a two-minute head-checking minor penalty, a rule that currently exists in the Ontario Hockey League, U.S. college hockey, International Ice Hockey Federation games and youth hockey in North America.

Door No. 3 was the vast middle ground in between the other two doors, where the only position is that "something more" needs to be acted upon now by the league. Precisely what "more" means was left to the discretion of the GMs who opted for this door and, as you will see, they weren't shy about elaborating on what "more" means specifically to them.

So here are the results:

Ten GMs opted for the status quo of Door No. 1; two chose the extreme position of Door No. 2 and 15 opted for the wide middle ground of Door No. 3; three GMs either couldn't or wouldn't pigeon hole themselves in one category or another, although they were more than happy to offer some perspectives on the issue and what concerns them about it and the ongoing debate.

What we can conclude is that with a total of 17 of 30 GMs classifying themselves as not entirely satisfied with the status quo, the ground would appear to be relatively fertile for change. That said, there are no guarantees that change comes swiftly or decisively. But if there was an overriding theme to the discussion, it was clearly how open-minded so many of the GMs were to hear both sides of any equation.

For example, of the 15 GMs who chose Door No. 3, almost half of them, without provocation, said they would be interested in hearing the arguments for Door No. 2 and perhaps could be swayed more in that direction, for example, than the status quo.

But anyone who's been around GM meetings in the past knows there is a significant aversion to knee-jerk reactions, especially on an issue of this significance and one where there's been quite a media feeding frenzy.

"We have to do what's right for the game, not our individual teams and certainly not because the media is pressuring us to do something," one NHL GM, sounding a popular refrain.

So let's try to characterize the sentiment behind each of the three doors:

Door No. 1: The most common comment from this group of nine was that "we haven't even had one full season of Rule 48 and we really need to let this evolve before we go barging ahead with other things. It's a work in progress. Let's see where it goes."

Another offered the following evaluation:

"There is no question in my mind, because I've seen it on multiple occasions this season, players are modifying their behaviour because of Rule 48. I recently saw Matt Cooke turn away from a hit when he had the guy lined up, so it is having an impact. That's not to say we can't have more debate and follow up. We just need to move cautiously now."

Even those who may have previously been regarded as hard-liners on the head-hit issue acknowledge there needs to be ongoing dialogue because of the gravity of the issue.

But that isn't to say there aren't some who wonder if the league hasn't already overreacted.

"I'm not even sure I am entirely comfortable with the new blindside hit (Rule 48) rule," one GM said. "I believe a player has to be responsible at all times to keep his head up and be aware of the danger around him. You can't ask players to let up on their checks. It's a physical game. I don't want to see people get hurt but I don't want to see us put in a lot of rules where the player stops being responsible for keeping his head up. I think that will lead to even more injuries."

Unquestionably, that issue -- how much onus is on the hitter versus the hittee -- is a constant source of debate amongst GMs. That's why Rule 48 on the blindside hits was, in the eyes of the GM, such a groundbreaking step. It was the first time in the history of the game that the league transferred the responsibility for being hit to the player doing the hitting.

Door No. 2: Only two GMs walked through this portal and they acknowledged the group is probably not ready to accept such an extreme position as a penalty for any hit to the head, but they also suggested there's an air of inevitability, that at some point in the future, whether it's three years or five years or 10 years, it will be unacceptable in pro sports to hit anyone in the head, citing societal, governmental and medical pressures to protect the brains of all people, including elite athletes who ply their trade in dangerous games where high levels of risk are assumed.

The critics of this zero-tolerance policy on head hits fear it will lead to the demise of physical play in the NHL, but the proponents aren't as certain the fabric of the pro hockey game is necessarily at risk.

"I'm just not convinced of that," one GM said. "But it's a good discussion to have. This isn't a crusade, it's just an individual opinion, so let's not be afraid to at least talk about it."

Another GM said the lesson learned from Rule 48 and the intense level of debate on what's a blindside hit and what isn't -- and the referees' ability to correctly make that judgment call on the ice -- is why the universal head checking penalty should be considered. It's hard, the GM said, to get consistency but if every hit to the head is illegal, there would be less gray area and the players would ultimately adjust.

No one thinks for a moment this is a realistic short term possibility but it was interesting to hear a number of GMs in the middle ground area say they are at least intrigued by the notion of discussing a total ban on head hits and want more and better information on how it works in the OHL and other leagues.

"Most of our information we're getting on this is anecdotal," one GM said. "Someone said they saw this game or that game and this is what happened in a single game. I'd like to get some real hard information, maybe study the OHL game to see if there has been a big dropoff in hitting or what it's meant to them in reducing head injuries. I don't think any of us see enough OHL or college hockey to present a true picture of what it's actually like now with these rules in place."

Door No. 3: Exactly half the GMs in the NHL made this choice and, to varying degrees, opined that more is better. As in the NHL should continue to take further steps in the war against head hits and concussions, that more than the status quo is required.

Not surprisingly, there was a wide variance on the definition of “more” but what absolutely came through from repeated comments was there's a growing sentiment for handing out tougher suspensions. Historically, most GMs have had an aversion to long suspensions, or “super” suspensions, as some like to call them. That worm appears to be turning based on our research.

"The key for me is intent,” one GM said. “If we have the same guys hitting high over and over again, and we all know who they are, we can't be giving these guys the benefit of the doubt and we really need to slap some hard suspensions on them."

“We need to start whacking guys harder with tougher suspensions for the head hits we deem to be bad hit,” another added.

Some said they favor as much as double-digit suspensions in cases where it's clear the head has been targeted.

But there were a tremendous array of opinions on which direction the league should be moving towards.

Some want to see Rule 48 broadened to include not just blindside hits to the head but to come up with criteria that would deal with some forms of the traditional north-south hit to the head that, in some instances, is still very much legal in the NHL. More of a 360 degree approach or protection for players.

“You can have a north-south hit where the hitter goes for the head at the last second and the player getting hit has no way to defend himself,” a GM said. “Just because it's north-south doesn't automatically mean it's any less damaging or sneaky than a blindside hit.”

No one who chose Door No. 3 is suggesting every north-south head contact should be penalized but did say just as the GMs worked on very specific criteria on the blindside hit, the same exercise needs to be rolled out for some of the dangerous north-south varieties.

One GM said the league doesn't need any more new rules on head hits so much as it needs to perhaps reinforce the existing rules on elbowing, charging, interference, boarding and checking from behind, suggesting the rule book currently spells out some fairly specific action on hits to the head but that perhaps there needs to be a greater emphasis on referees calling them.

The whole issue of “transfer of responsibility” from the hittee to the hitter will also be explored and while some are saying they must proceed with caution on that front, others note that the game is so fast now that old “keep your head up” standards from previous eras are tougher to apply now.

“It's so fast now,” one GM said. “It's almost impossible now for a player, in every situation on the ice, to not get caught with his head down sometimes.”

One GM said the battle on head hits may be less about new anti-headshot legislation and more about reviewing the rules package put in after the lockout to improve the pace of the game. Mission accomplished on the speed of the game, but many GMs believe taking out the red line, putting in the trapezoid that prevents goalies from handling the puck have contributed to the rash of big hits and concussions.

But as staunchly as some of the GMs argue for doing “more” - whatever more turns out to be - they all acknowledge improvement is a double-edged sword that can come back to haunt you. The more rules that are instituted, the GMs said, the more players will use trickery and fakery, if necessary, to gain an advantage and make a mockery of some well-intentioned efforts.

“We have to be so careful,” a GM said. “So careful. That's why a complete ban on any contact to the head will not get a lot of traction. The minute you put that in, players will be snapping their head back to draw penalties. Players who aren't seriously injured will drop to the ice and stay there to draw the major penalty. Everyone is in favor of getting rid of concussions but just wait until your team loses a game or a playoff series on a phantom head-checking penalty. There are no easy answers."

Another GM said he's not in favor of making any rule changes until the league, and the Players' Association, make sure everything has been done to provide as safe a work environment as possible, citing boards and glass, shoulder pads and elbow pads and helmet technology as areas where more can be done before messing around with the way the game is played.

For all the flak the NHL takes on the issue of head shots/concussions, it was clearly apparent from our interview process that a great many of the NHL GMs do sincerely care about this issue, and are now recognizing the need to be more proactive but also note there are many pitfalls associated with rushing headlong into new rules or action.

And many of them couldn't stress enough how “open-minded” they now are, whether they opted for Door No. 1, Door No. 2 or Door No. 3.

But they also realize the game is inherently dangerous and you can't legislate concussions out of hockey.

"Let's not kid ourselves," one GM said. "The fact Sidney Crosby has been out a long time with a concussion is a huge part of what's happening right now. And I feel terrible Sidney is injured and our game needs him playing. But he got hurt on what I believe was an accidental collision. It's a fast game played by big people in a small area. There are going to be concussions. We can try to reduce the number but we're never going to get rid of them."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

March 11, 2011
Ken Dryden on hockey violence: How could we be so stupid?
By KEN DRYDEN
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
The former NHL goalie recalls when helmets and goalie masks were optional. A generation from now, he writes, today's attitude toward hockey violence will seem equally stupid

The brain weighs about three pounds. It floats inside a boney skull, surrounded by spinal fluid, not quite in contact with the skull. Except when the head is jarred.

Then, the brain moves, ricocheting back and forth, colliding with the sides of the skull, like a superball in a squash court. With hard-enough contact, the brain bleeds. And the parts inside it - the neurons and pathways that we use to think, learn and remember - get damaged.

Why would we ever have thought otherwise?

Why would we ever have believed that when the dizziness goes away, everything goes back as it had been before? All the little hits, scores of them in every game, so inconsequential that we don't even know they've occurred - how could we not have known? How could we be so stupid?

I feel the same when I remember that the effects of smoking or of drunk driving were ignored for so long. I feel it when I think of women in the past having no right to vote and few rights of any kind, and when I think about slavery: How could people 50, 100 or 200 years ago not have known? How could they be so stupid?

I wonder what will make people say that about us 50 years from now. What are the big things we might be getting really wrong? Chemicals in our foods? Genetic modifications gone wrong? Climate change?

In sports, I think, the haunting question will be about head injuries. It wasn't until 1943 in the National Football League that helmets became mandatory; in the National Hockey League, not until 36 years after that, in 1979. The first goalie mask wasn't worn in the NHL until 1959.

And in a whole childhood and adolescence of playing goalie, I didn't wear a mask until 1965, when I had to wear one on my college team. How could I have been so stupid?

Smash, crash, bang, maim

A football wide receiver, 220 pounds, cuts across the middle of the field at 35 kilometres an hour; a linebacker, 240 pounds, cuts the other way at 20 km/hour. The wide receiver focuses on the ball; the linebacker focuses on the wide receiver, knowing that a good hit now won't just break up the pass but will break down the focus and will of that wide receiver for each succeeding pass in the game.

Two hockey players, almost as big as the football players, but going even faster, colliding with each other and with the boards, glass and ice exaggerating the force of every hit.

Boxers, snapping jabs and hooks at each other's head, round after round. (But no hitting below the belt; that's not fair.) Ultimate Fighting: Fist, foot, elbow, knee, bone against bone - get your opponent down, get him defenceless and pound away.

In addition, there are the countless mini-collisions that never make the "Highlights of the Night." They make players feel a little dizzy, but then seconds later, almost every time, they feel fine. So they must be fine.

Years later, they may not be thinking so clearly or remembering so well, at a slightly younger age than other people, perhaps. But in the randomness of everything else in life, who's to know why? It could be genes or bad luck. Hockey player Reggie Fleming, known as "Cement Head"; football players Mike Webster, Owen Thomas or Mike McCoy; wrestler Chris Benoit ...

A few weeks ago, I read about the suicide of Dave Duerson, a former all-pro safety with the Chicago Bears. He was 50. In recent years, Mr. Duerson had worked with the NFL players' union, dealing with retired players and their physical ailments, head injuries among them, and reading their doctors' reports. He had begun to have trouble himself remembering names and putting words together. Then, one day he shot himself, not in the head but the chest, so as to preserve his brain intact for future examination, bequeathing it to the NFL's brain bank.

On the same day, in the same newspapers, there was another story about Ollie Matson, an all-pro running back in the 1950s and 1960s for several NFL teams. He was 80 when he died, and for the last several years of his life he had been suffering from dementia; over the last four years, he hadn't spoken. Mr. Matson's death and dementia, it seemed, had to do with the consequences of old age. No connection was made to football or Dave Duerson.

A few days earlier, there had been a story about the death of Bobby Kuntz. He had been one of my favourite players as a kid. During the late 1950s and 1960s, he played for the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, playing "both ways" as players of the time did - a running back on offence and a linebacker on defence.

He was small for the positions he played, and especially small for the way he played them. He'd put his head down and throw himself into the line or into the bodies of ball carriers, the sound of his collisions sharper and more resounding than any others - the kind that, as a fan, made you go "oooh" and laugh. He was fearless. In playground games, I used to pretend I was Bobby Kuntz, head down, fearless in my own mind.

Mr. Kuntz died at 79, having suffered from dementia the last 11 years of his life. The Kuntz family agreed to have his brain donated to a study of athletes and head injuries, the article said.

The myth of the 'nature of the game'

What is our answer to those voices 50 years into the future? We can only say that we didn't want to know. We thought - we hoped - there wasn't a problem, because if there were, something would need to be done, and we didn't want to do it.

To do something would change the nature of the game. It may be all right, or inevitable, for everything in the world around the game to change; but the game itself is "pure" and must remain that way.

Hockey began in Montreal in 1875 because some rugby players wanted a game for the wintertime, and they wanted to hit each other. But the rugby players couldn't skate very fast, their bodies were smaller than ours are today, and they were playing on a smaller ice surface where they had little room to pick up momentum. With no substitutions allowed, the game moved at coasting speed.

Bigger ice surfaces changed the nature of the game; so did the forward pass; so did boards and glass; so did substitutions, shorter shifts and bigger bodies. Helmeted players in today's game are far more vulnerable to serious head injury than helmet-less players were in generations ago.

We choose to ignore the fact that the "nature" of any game is always changing. Today's hockey - in terms of speed, skill, style of play and force of impact - is almost unrecognizable from hockey 50 years ago, let alone 100. Likewise, helmets, facemasks, 300-plus-pound players and off-field, year-round training have transformed football.

These and other sports changed because someone thought of new ways to do things, others followed and nobody stopped them. In many cases, sports have had to change for reasons of safety or economics. For the sake of the players and fans and the game itself, these sports will and do need to change again.

A few days ago, I read the story of Bob Probert. He was a "goon" whose ability to fight got him into the NHL, and gave him the extra years and playing time he needed to learn how to play an all-around game. It has been calculated that Mr. Probert was in 240 NHL fights - few of which he lost - and countless more in his minor hockey years. Before he died last year, his wife reported, he had been forgetting things and frequently losing his temper. In a post-mortem examination, Boston University's School of Medicine recently reported, Mr. Probert was found to have chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy cells in his brain. He was 45.

The voices of the future will not be kind to us about how we understood and dealt with head injuries in sports. They will ask: How is it possible we didn't know, or chose not to know?

For players or former players, owners, managers, coaches, doctors and team doctors, league executives, lawyers, agents, the media, players' wives, partners and families, it's no longer possible not to know and not to be afraid, unless we willfully close our eyes.

Max Pacioretty was only the latest; he will not be the last. Arguments and explanations don't matter any more. The NHL has to risk the big steps that are needed: If some of them prove wrong, they'll still be far less wrong than what we have now.

It is time to stop being stupid.

Ken Dryden is a former NHL goaltender, and is a lawyer, author and member of Parliament.

Great article on what must be the best team name in hockey....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 11, 2011
The long trail to world championship gold
By JAMES CHRISTIE
50 Years On: How a scrappy amateur team from a small B.C. town stunned the Russians

It's a history lesson wrapped around a hockey legend.

The year was 1961 and innocence was on the run in a world that was getting swallowed up by the Cold War and by fear.

Canada's Trail Smoke Eaters were making a stand as amateur hockey players against a Soviet system that was decidedly professional - army men recruited from all of its republics against Canadian farm boys, factory workers and firemen. The 1961 world hockey championship in Geneva, Switzerland, would come to be a touchstone of Canadian hockey. There have been other Olympics and other world championships, but the Smokies are an enduring icon.

In Trail, B.C., a small industrial town in southeastern British Columbia, a scrappy amateur team known as the Trail Smoke Eaters had lost the Allan Cup senior hockey title to the Chatham Maroons. The Maroons were asked by the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association to play for the world championship in Geneva, but the Maroons turned down the trip, opting instead to go to another tournament in the Soviet Union where everything would be paid for.

Canadian hockey officials turned to the Smoke Eaters, but told the company team that it would have to be stronger and bolster its ranks with players from elsewhere in the country. The players would also have to pick up the cost of the trip themselves.

"Nobody believed in us," says Don Fletcher, who will join surviving members of the 1961 team Saturday afternoon at Royal Theatre in Trail to relive the improbable world championship - Canada's last world hockey championship until pros named Joe Sakic, Rod Brind'Amour, Rob Blake, Luc Robitaille and Brendan Shanahan restored Canada's global glory with a world title 33 years later in 1994.

"We're famous for being underdogs. The European press called us murderers and butchers. The Swedish papers called us the worst team ever to leave Canada, thugs and gangsters. But I thought it was the greatest team I ever played for," Fletcher said.

The woodsy town of 15,000 believed in them and staged fundraisers to gather $42,000 for a seven-week trip.

The trip involved 14 European countries and 40 kilometres while the Smokies got used to unfamiliar European foods and big ice rinks, sometimes playing hockey outdoors in front of 18,000, and not being allowed to bodycheck in the attacking zone.

Salaries were covered by the town's big employer, Consolidated Mining and Smelting Co. of Canada Ltd. (later known as Cominco and Teck Resources), where most of the players held jobs.

"It was community driven," says Betty Anne Morino, promotions co-ordinator for the town and one of the organizers of the anniversary. "We think about other world championships and the Olympics and the NHL, but these guys were amateurs. They held down jobs. A lot of them didn't turn pro because, in those days, a good job was worth keeping and paid almost as much as an athlete's salary."

As Fletcher put it: "We played for the love of the game."

The Trail team was largely made up of locals - many of whom still live in the Trail area - and the pickups included Jackie McLeod of Saskatoon, Darryl Sly of Cambridge, Ont., and Montrealers Mike Legace and Claude Cyr. The coach was the hard-nosed Bobby Kromm, who not only whipped the team into shape but pioneered the idea of a practice on game day to get them sharp.

The Smokies - there's some debate whether the nickname came because of the huge smelter stack or because a fan disgruntled with a referee's call tossed a smoking corn cob pipe on the ice, which was taken up by several players - played 20 exhibition games before the world championship in Switzerland.

"The tour of Europe was in different conditions than you have for the pros now - the foods for one thing," Fletcher says. "We got up after landing in Oslo and there was herring for breakfast ... herring! In Tampere [Finland] it was some kind of hotdogs. In Russia, it was supposed to be fried chicken, but I'm positive it was pigeons from off the sill. Thank God that in Moscow there was a U.S. embassy and they invited us over for hamburger and chips. You couldn't believe how good that was."

"We did the tour on rickety old airplanes and buses," adds McLeod, a pickup who scored twice in the decisive game, including the gold medal goal. "Everybody knew European hockey was getting better - and we wouldn't be world champions again for more than 30 years. I recall that maybe 3,000 of our servicemen were at the last game. And when we won it was something else."

The Smoke Eaters won five games and tied just one (against Czechoslovakia) going into their last match against Russia. The gold was to be decided by a differential of goals scored and goals against. The Czechs, who had the same won-loss record as the Canadians, had a two-goal edge in goals scored and were sitting in the stands, anticipating the presentation of the gold. They didn't believe Canada could win by enough goals over Russia to clinch the gold.

"The heat was on," recalls Dave Rusnell, another Smoke Eaters player. "It was Canada versus Russia, but it was a really small town against an entire land with an amazing number of players to draw from. That was an incentive - and the fact we weren't expected to do well. We had some of the best open-ice hitters I ever saw. In Sweden, we caught two of their national team players with their heads down and put them out for the rest of the year."

The Canadians used their brains as much as brawn. "We had three games in Moscow that helped us," Rusnell says. "We learned the Russians wanted to make the perfect shot. They might have the puck 65 per cent of the time, but Seth [Martin, the Trail goalie] always seemed to know where that last shot was coming from."

The Canadians may have been up against the communist system, says Smokies captain Cal Hockley, "but we had the team where everybody was equal, the same work ethic which Bobby [Kromm] drilled into us, the same drive."

He was a coach who made sure you were in the best condition in your life, so we outworked and outskated the Russians and Swedes every time."

The Smoke Eaters prevailed 5-1, giving them not only the victory over Russia but a big enough goals advantage to secure the gold.

"People will always wonder how a team from a town where eight or 10 of the players grew up together did it," Martin says. "We knew we couldn't just beat them by one, but we didn't actually know how many we had to win by. I remember the goals like it was yesterday: Harry Smith; Jackie McLeod; Harold Jones; McLeod again - it turned out to be the tournament winner, and Norm Lenardon with the insurance goal. "In Canada, people don't want to wind up second, they want to win the gold."

The population of Trail was about 15,000 at the time of the 1961 championship. An estimated 25,000 lined the route into town from the airfield at Castlegar, B.C., upon the Smokies return. "It was gratifying to see," Hockley says. "It brought out our opponents to cheer, guys we're played against in Nelson and Rossland and Spokane. I guess it was big."

Dave,

The Trail Smoke Eaters have the best name and (old) logo in the business! The original one with the smoke coming out of the stacks has been made politically correct when their junior team entered the BCHL many years ago - no smoke now... gotta respect nature and the Green Party crowd!! See the old logo here:

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/1938-39_Trail_Smoke_Eaters

I have met several of the players (and their offspring) from the 1961 team. I know one of the old equipment managers and he gave me a replica jersey (with smoke!) of the 1939 team several years ago. Their is an awesome museum in the Cominco rink that has a lot of sports memorabilia from Trail and the local area. Trail also has a pretty good history and passion for minor baseball - I believe a few of their teams have represented Canada and attended the Little League World Series.

I played some junior in the Kootenay's in the 80's; then I coached in Cranbrook and Invermere (east Kootenay's) in the early 90's and was head coach of a couple of BC U17 teams (Brad Larsen was my Captain one year and Shawn Horcoff another year.) I love the old rinks - Trail and Kimberley were my favourites!

My uncle's playing days in the Kootenay's preceded me; he played against many of these guys as they wrapped up their careers in Senior hockey (Allan Cup) in the late 60's / early 70's. My uncle played one year in Nelson for the Leafs and many years for the Spokane Jets / Flyers. I attended many games as a kid in the old "Boone Street Barn" in Spokane and was amazed by the level of skill and brutality! Senior hockey used to be an amazing spectacle... sad that it has been diminished since the early 80's.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Ken Dryden on hockey violence: How could we be so stupid?

The former NHL goalie recalls when helmets and goalie masks were optional. A generation from now, he writes, today's attitude toward hockey violence will seem equally stupid

By KEN DRYDEN
From Saturday's Globe and Mail March 11, 2011

Dave,

This article speaks in a tone that cannot / should not be ignored. In 50 years, HOPEFULLY our attitudes will have changed for the better. I HOPE it is only a matter of time. Science is backing up these claims. How can the NHL bury it's head in the sand for much longer?

I plan on using this article in my class this week. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Usual Suspects
Milbury gets upper hand in violence debate

BRUCE DOWBIGGIN
From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Mar. 13, 2011

Has Mike Milbury surpassed Don Cherry as the go-to guy on Hockey Night in Canada? In light of the Zdeno Chara incident last week (and Milbury’s turn on fighting), anticipation was high Saturday to hear from both Hockey Night personalities over Chara’s devastating hit on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty – the closest, some feel, we’ve come to a fatality in an NHL game since Bill Masterton died following a 1968 contest.

While neither Cherry nor the former New York Islanders general manager exactly seized the moment, Milbury nudged ahead on all scorecards with a lucid agenda for the sport’s GMs and owners to deal with criticism from the Canadian Prime Minister, corporate heads and players over the game’s overall safety. Given several days to find a new angle, Cherry simply regurgitated talking points heard throughout the week from others.

Cherry first buried the lead with some predictable fawning on Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer. When he finally got to the Chara story, Cherry trotted out his usual grab bag of ad hominem attacks. Air Canada, being based in Montreal, was disqualified from comment. Canadiens owner Geoff Molson got a tongue lashing for his arena’s apparent safety failings. Politicians were media hogs.

While Chara’s five-minute foul produced a catastrophic result, Cherry defended the league for its lack of a suspension. It was, he felt, the clichéd “hockey play” like others on his video reel. Bizarrely, he insisted Chara deserved a 20-game suspension or none at all. Just another case of unwinding the police tape with a nothing-to-see-here shake of the head.

Milbury didn’t touch the suspension or the hit, preferring to advance the story by asking GMs this week at the general meeting to decide, “What’s an acceptable risk for players?” Milbury, who seemed restrained in his Hockey Night’s Hotstove segment (perhaps his Boston roots?), urged a panel to create a comprehensive, not knee-jerk reaction. Milbury was cogent and remarkably restrained for his often-voluble self. In doing so he’s pressing Cherry to raise his game.

Ready answer

The GMs already have a partial solution in the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit Red Wings. The NHL’s two best teams don’t goon and intimidate. Hockey Night (and its TSN/ Sportsnet equivalent) don’t seem able to grasp this salient fact. They lionize the Matt Cookes, Trevor Gillies and Colton Orrs as being essential to winning hockey. But the Canucks and Red Wings play another, safer way. And they win. Imagine that.

Tone deaf

Hockey Night’s performance in the face of the (sometimes hysterical) firestorm was still better than that of the NHL, with commissioner Gary Bettman putting his hands over his ears while saying, “La-la-la-la, I can’t hear you” to the Prime Minister, corporate leaders and media commentators last week.

Whether Bettman likes it or not, this is hockey’s Dale Earnhardt moment, the time when the speed of the cars and the aggression of the drivers overwhelms the race track. As NASCAR did when its brightest star Earnhardt was killed at the Daytona 500 in 2001, hockey has to take its foot off the accelerator and take stock of how much risk is acceptable. (Earnhardt was the fourth driver to die in NASCAR within a year; since revising its safety standards, no NASCAR driver has died since.) No matter how impulsive Air Canada’s media onslaught seemed, who wants a dead NHL player photographed lying in front of your corporate logo on the boards? Bettman’s petulant response to the week’s criticism, however, indicates he’s still got the pedal to the floor and his fingers in his ears.

Union due

Neither Cherry nor Milbury addressed the NHLPA’s mediocre history on safety issues. The union’s diligence on workplace safety was left to former player Mathieu Schneider, newly minted as hockey mentor to current executive director Don (What’s a Puck?) Fehr.

On Hockey Night’s pregame show Saturday, Schneider cited Chara’s lack of premeditation as the basis for absolution. But intent is just one element of culpability in courts. Chara’s act illustrates the difference between premeditation and negligence – both punishable. What we really wanted to know – and did not find out – was whether the PA had intervened on behalf of Chara or Pacioretty in the NHL’s hearings last week. The PA has had a lamentable habit of protecting aggressors over victims within its own membership.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The lessons of one young hockey player’s pain and denial

Rachel Brady
Published Friday, Mar. 11, 2011

For two weeks, 14-year-old Andrejs Linde was keeping something from his parents. He felt dizzy every time he stood up. He had disorienting headaches nearly all the time. And when he stepped outside, the glare of a sunny, snowy day was overwhelming.

Andrejs knew what was causing the headaches, but he wasn't saying a word. He had been the victim of a nasty check during a hockey game, and at the time, he thought little of the blindside hit that had propelled him sideways, delivering a blow to the left side of his head..

He told coaches that he felt fine that day, and that he could go back out on the ice. Trainers kept a close watch over him, and even followed up later. The teen insisted that he felt okay.

At 5-foot-9 and 120 pounds, Andrejs is one of the biggest kids on Toronto's Leaside Minor Bantam A team. He leads his team in scoring, with 25 goals, and he delivers as many hits as he absorbs. This isn't the kind of kid who gets pushed around.

He kept playing for two weeks after the hit. But his coach noticed that he was backing off plays, and his parents kept asking if he felt all right.

“I could feel players behind me around the boards, even when they weren't there. I realized I was feeling scared,” Andrejs said. “And the headaches weren't going away. I also took a slapshot to my finger, so I kept telling my parents I needed Advil for my finger, when actually I needed it for my head. I didn't want them to know or I would have to stop playing.”

Andrejs's mom, Laima, was persistent. She remembered the hit well and kept asking her son about his head, even weeks later. “He had a look like there was something that needed to be said, like something was really bugging him,” said Ms. Linde, who manages the team. “He finally broke down and said, ‘My head is killing me.'”

So the Lindes took Andrejs to Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, where they endured a five-hour wait and discovered that he had post-concussion syndrome. “In triage, the nurse asked him, ‘On a scale of one to 10, how much pain are you in?' And Andrejs has had a broken collarbone, so he knows pain,” Ms. Linde said. “He said, ‘Eight.' I was shocked. You're in that much pain, and you're just telling me now?”

He was told to go home and rest in darkness for two days before a reassessment: no school, no video games and definitely no hockey.

He wasn't getting any better, so the Lindes visited a clinic where Andrejs underwent the same concussion testing used in pro sports leagues. First, he did a balance test. Then he struggled through a 20-minute online test that he found very difficult, clicking on shapes, colours and words to test his verbal memory, visual memory, motor speed and reaction speed. His verbal memory tested fine. But in the other areas, his scores were a concern.

“For a kid who … is very strong in math and sciences, these were not great scores,” said Grant Lum, the medical director at the clinic and an adviser to the National Hockey League Players Association. “But we didn't have a baseline test to show how he performed before the injury, so we couldn't tell for sure just how long he will need to recover.” Dr. Lum recommends that schools and sports associations administer such tests to determine athletes' healthy scores, which could later be used for comparison if the athletes suffer head injuries.

Andrejs was told to go home and do nothing for two weeks, which sounded okay at first: at home all day with no parents or siblings. But it also meant sitting in darkness, and he couldn't use computers, watch TV, play video games or battle his two little brothers in mini-sticks. One night, he begged to watch a few minutes of the hockey game or listen to his iPod. Both denied.

“I just sit here. I either listen to the radio or just sit,” Andrejs said, fidgeting on a couch in a back room with the blinds drawn after his two brothers and sister had headed off to school. “It's hard to fall asleep, because there is so much yet nothing going on. You want to do stuff but you can't,” he said. Naps and eating are his only activities these days, unless you count popping Advil.

“It's more than just missing games, he's missing his life,” said his father, Peter. “The blinds are drawn all day. He's basically hanging out in a cave.” His parents try to stay up late with him to keep his spirits up. His eight-year-old brother, Ilmars, “misses the old him.” Andrejs tried watching a couple of his team's games, but the headaches felt worse after the outings.

“I called all the players into a meeting and told them what the outcome was with Andrejs, and said, ‘if you're not honest with coaches, trainers and your parents, you could be out a long time and do a lot of damage to your health,” coach Brian McKeown said. “After that conversation, another kid anted up to his parents that he's been having symptoms.”

While the Lindes can't imagine taking hockey away from their three sons, they want to prompt discussion and educate parents on the need for baseline testing for concussions. Mr. McKeown wants to have the whole team baseline-tested.

“One big thing we've learned is that you can't rely on any type of self-assessment by the child. Kids love the game, they want to play,” Mr. Linde said. “You can't fault them for that.”

Andrejs will undergo further testing next week. If his scores improve, Dr. Lum will recommend easing back into school. Andrejs said the headaches are slowly getting better. He struggles to describe the feeling. It's not a throbbing pain; it's dull, and he just doesn't feel like himself.

“If I was hit again, I would definitely tell my parents right away, because I could have gotten hit again and made it worse, and I could have been healing and maybe back playing by now,” he said.

The Lindes know Andrejs isn't destined to play in the NHL, but he plans to make hockey a part of his life for many years.

“He can teach other kids that getting hit in the head is no laughing matter,” Mr. Linde said. “There's no reason to hide it. Deal with it – it's a real injury. It means nothing if no one else learns from Andrejs.”

Rachel Brady is a reporter with Globe Sports.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

A 10-step hockey reformation as imagined by John Allemang

JOHN ALLEMANG

Hockey can't go on like this. The daily carnage has become too much to bear, and there's no excuse to look the other way just because the sport attracts fans and fits a monopolistic kind of business model. Never mind that politicians, police and prominent sponsors are challenging the National Hockey League's complacency on injuries and violence, so far without much success. The bigger issue is about how professional hockey lost its way and allowed the game to get so far out of sync with the nation's better values.

1. Get rid of the boards. There are two games of lacrosse, one played in a rink or box, the other on a field. They're two very different, very separate games and each has its fans. The pond-hockey tradition in hockey is beloved even by people who like the high-energy National Hockey League game – which raises the question of whether hockey truly needs boards at all. Most serious hockey injuries happen close to the boards, and if you took away the game's hard boundaries, hitting from behind or crushing a player's head into a stanchion would become relics of the past. The NHL's business plan is based on a game played within boards, but there's no reason not to experiment with a boardless game that's just about ice. Yes, it might look more like field hockey on skates. But isn't that how the great Gordie Howe got his start?

2. Ban head hits. The NHL overlords work themselves into ridiculous contortions to justify hits to the head. Yes, hockey's a fast game, accidents happen and players put themselves in vulnerable positions where injuries can result. But the blame-the-victim strategy is unnecessary, as well as ineffective and inhuman. Simply follow the example of the International Ice Hockey Federation and take a zero-tolerance approach to head hits. A body-contact sport should be just that – contact with the body.

3. Increase ice size. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, but the narrow NHL rink remains unevolved. International hockey is played on rinks that are 15 feet wider, giving skaters much more room to manoeuvre and avoid harmful contact against the boards. Studies by neurologist Richard Wennberg of Toronto Western Hospital have shown that collisions and head injuries decrease in number and severity in the international rinks. Hockey on a bigger ice surface can be a more agile, free-flowing game, better suited to speedy, smaller skill players and less tolerant of the kind of smothering defensive tactics practised by a tentacled behemoth like Zdeno Chara.

4. Go to four on four. Increasing the rink size will take time and money, and there's a persuasive argument to be made that the compact NHL surfaces create a more intense and energetic style of hockey. In that case, do what is now done in overtime games to encourage offence and speed up play: Simply drop one of the skaters. By opening up more room on the ice, you give players more time to handle the puck and protect themselves from incoming threats. And with fewer players, goon tactics will become less valuable and aggressive body contact less useful – the culture of the sport will shift to a more free-flowing skaters' game.

5. Put an end to fighting. It has nothing to do with the sport, it's harmful and contrived, it discourages skilled young athletes from continuing in the game, puts off more fans than it draws in, dumbs down Canadian culture and isn't necessary despite what all the NHL apologists and armchair sadists contend. Other professional sports manage to ban fighting without losing their appeal or sacrificing their macho DNA. So just get rid of it, and let the lovers of mindless brutality get their fix with mixed-martial arts.

6. Treat violence as violence. Punishment rarely fits the crime in NHL hockey, except for rare moments of damage control where public outrage leads to PR-driven clampdowns. If NHL bosses refuse to punish violent acts like Zdeno Chara's hit against Max Pacioretty, then it's right that police should step in and sponsors should walk away, if only to send a message that both players and the league must be more responsible for their actions. If respect for fellow players can't be taught – and there's every reason to think coaches from minor hockey up instill the opposite message – then basic humanity has to be legislated by the courts and demanded by those who associate their corporate name with the sport.

7. No more “finishing the check.”
The hockey rule book mandates a safe, orderly and fair game. But the latitude given to officials means that there is often a huge discrepancy between the rules of the sport and the arbitrary judgment calls on the ice. One of the more dangerous examples of this legalized lawlessness occurs when players are permitted to hit someone after he releases the puck. A player is often at his most vulnerable at this moment – much like a quarterback who has just thrown a pass. Yet hockey coaches at every level still encourage these checks and shift the responsibility for avoiding them from the aggressor to the victim. But checkers shouldn't have carte blanche: It must be made clear that there can be no body contact once the puck is released or not in the player's control.

8. Speed the flow of the game.
A game like soccer is continuous: Substitutions have to fit into the course of the game and even on-field injuries don't necessarily stop play. Professional hockey has gone in the other direction and turned itself into a stop-and-start sport that breaks for TV ads, coach-mandated time-outs, between-period corporate networking and seemingly endless line changes. At the aesthetic level, the game is at its best when it's moving fast and furious – overtime hockey is compelling viewing. But there's also a safety issue. With modern hockey's short shifts, players are able to play more “physically,” targeting the body more than in a game where shifts drag on (as can be seen in the rebroadcasts of surprisingly gentle 1950s games that now look nothing like old-time hockey's tough-guy image).

9. Softer pads. Players don't need body armour to play good hockey. Hulking shoulder pads, in particular, do more harm than good, because they're less about protection than they are about inflicting damage, especially at the head level. And the more a player's equipment makes him feel protected from retaliation, the more confident he feels about dishing out pain. Hockey equipment is like a Cold War arms race, but the mutual escalation of physical force and physical protection no longer serves its purpose.

10. Get rid of coaches. Okay, it's not going to happen. But there are far too many coaches on the hockey bench intruding themselves into too many aspects of the game. As hockey has become overcoached, it has lost its breathtaking, spontaneous side, the throwback joie de vivre style displayed by the winning Russian team at this year's world junior championships. Players at all levels now feel tied down by defensive strategies where avoiding mistakes is seen as the key to winning. But what's worse from a safety point of view is that when you turn players into robotic automatons, you take away their judgment and responsibility. Most injuries in hockey occur because a player is just doing his job.

John Allemang is a feature writer for The Globe and Mail.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

These are the sort of articles written about Lacrosse in the late 1800 and early 1900's. The game didn't adapt to and lost it's popularity as our nationsl sport.

We need to adapt the game to the times. Contact and not Collision. What is the point of two goons agreeing to fight and then dropping the mitts as soon as the puck hits the ice????????????? I find it boring and disrupts the flow of the game.

The game doesn't need the image of a violent sport.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Here's an interesting article about the use of praise in education. Do you you think the same pertains to hockey?
Original: http://www.nea.org/home/42298.htm

The Praise Paradox: Are we smothering kids in kind words?

By Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

Thomas (his middle name) is a fifth-grader at the highly competitive P.S. 334, the Anderson School on West 84th in New York City. Since Thomas could walk, he has constantly heard that he is smart. Not just from his parents but from any adult who has come in contact with this precocious child. When he applied to Anderson for kindergarten, his intelligence was statistically confirmed. The school is reserved for the top 1 percent of all applicants, and an IQ test is required. Thomas didn’t just score in the top 1 percent. He scored in the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent.

But as Thomas has progressed through school, this self-awareness that he’s smart hasn’t always translated into fearless confidence when attacking his schoolwork. In fact, Thomas’s father noticed just the opposite. “Thomas didn’t want to try things he wouldn’t be successful at,” his father says. “Some things came very quickly to him, but when they didn’t, he gave up almost immediately, concluding, ‘I’m not good at this.’” With no more than a glance, Thomas was dividing the world into two—things he was naturally good at and things he wasn’t.

For instance, in the early grades, Thomas wasn’t very good at spelling, so he simply demurred from spelling out loud. When Thomas took his first look at fractions, he balked. The biggest hurdle came in third grade. He was supposed to learn cursive penmanship, but he wouldn’t even try for weeks. By then, his teacher was demanding homework be completed in cursive. Rather than play catch-up on his penmanship, Thomas refused outright. Thomas’s father tried to reason with him. “Look, just because you’re smart doesn’t mean you don’t have to put out some effort.” (Eventually, Thomas mastered cursive, but not without a lot of cajoling from his father.)

Why does this child, who is measurably at the very top of the charts, lack confidence about his ability to tackle routine school challenges?

Thomas is not alone. For a few decades, it’s been noted that a large percentage of all gifted students (those who score in the top 10 percent on aptitude tests) severely underestimate their own abilities. Those afflicted with this lack of perceived competence adopt lower standards for success and expect less of themselves. They underrate the importance of effort, and they overrate how much help they need from a parent.

When parents praise their children’s intelligence, they believe they are providing the solution to this problem. According to a survey conducted by Columbia University, 85 percent of American parents think it’s important to tell their kids that they’re smart. In and around the New York area, according to my own (admittedly nonscientific) poll, the number is more like 100 percent. Everyone does it, habitually. “You’re so smart, Kiddo,” just seems to roll off the tongue.

“Early and often,” bragged one mom, of how often she praised. Another dad throws praise around “every chance I get.” I heard that kids are going to school with affirming handwritten notes in their lunchboxes and—when they come home—there are star charts on the refrigerator. Boys are earning baseball cards for clearing their plates after dinner, and girls are winning manicures for doing their homework. These kids are saturated with messages that they’re doing great—that they are great, innately so. They have what it takes.

The presumption is that if a child believes he’s smart (having been told so, repeatedly), he won’t be intimidated by new academic challenges. The constant praise is meant to be an angel on the shoulder, ensuring that children do not sell their talents short.

But a growing body of research—and a new study from the trenches of the New York City public school system—strongly suggest it might be the other way around. Giving kids the label of “smart” does not prevent them from underperforming. It might actually be causing it.

For the past ten years, Dr. Carol Dweck and her team at Columbia University have studied the effect of praise on students in 20 New York schools. Her seminal work—a series of experiments on 400 fifth-graders—paints the picture most clearly. Prior to these experiments, praise for intelligence had been shown to boost children’s confidence. But Dweck suspected that this would backfire the first moment kids experienced failure or difficulty.

Dweck sent four female research assistants into New York fifth-grade classrooms. The researchers would take a single child out of the classroom for a nonverbal IQ test consisting of a series of puzzles—puzzles easy enough that all the children would do fairly well. Once the child finished the test, the researchers told each student his score, then gave him a single line of praise. Randomly divided into groups, some were praised for their intelligence. They were told, “You must be smart at this.” Other students were praised for their effort: “You must have worked really hard.”

Why just a single line of praise? “We wanted to see how sensitive children were,” Dweck explained. “We had a hunch that one line might be enough to see an effect.”

Then the students were given a choice of test for the second round. One choice was a test that would be more difficult than the first, but the researchers told the kids that they’d learn a lot from attempting the puzzles. The other choice, Dweck’s team explained, was an easy test, just like the first. Of those praised for their effort, 90 percent chose the harder set of puzzles. Of those praised for their intelligence, a majority chose the easy test. The “smart” kids took the cop-out.

Why did this happen? “When we praise children for their intelligence,” Dweck wrote in her study summary, “we tell them that this is the name of the game: look smart, don’t risk making mistakes.” And that’s what the fifth-graders had done. They’d chosen to look smart and avoid the risk of being embarrassed.

In a subsequent round, none of the fifth-graders had a choice. The test was difficult, designed for kids two years ahead of their grade level. Predictably, everyone failed. But again, the two groups of children, divided at random at the study’s start, responded differently. Those praised for their effort on the first test assumed they simply hadn’t focused hard enough on this test. “They got very involved, willing to try every solution to the puzzles,” Dweck recalled. “Many of them remarked, unprovoked, ‘This is my favorite test.’” Not so for those praised for their smarts. They assumed their failure was evidence that they weren’t really smart at all. “Just watching them, you could see the strain. They were sweating and miserable.”

Having artificially induced a round of failure, Dweck’s researchers then gave all the fifth-graders a final round of tests that were engineered to be as easy as the first round. Those who had been praised for their effort significantly improved on their first score—by about 30 percent. Those who’d been told they were smart did worse than they had at the very beginning—by about 20 percent.

Dweck had suspected that praise could backfire, but even she was surprised by the magnitude of the effect. “Emphasizing effort gives a child a variable that they can control,” she explains. “They come to see themselves as in control of their success. Emphasizing natural intelligence takes it out of the child’s control, and it provides no good recipe for responding to a failure.”

In follow-up interviews, Dweck discovered that those who think that innate intelligence is the key to success begin to discount the importance of effort. I am smart, the kids’ reasoning goes; I don’t need to put out effort. Expending effort becomes stigmatized—it’s public proof that you can’t cut it on your natural gifts.

Repeating her experiments, Dweck found this effect of praise on performance held true for students of every socioeconomic class. It hit both boys and girls—the very brightest girls especially (they collapsed the most following failure). Even preschoolers weren’t immune to the inverse power of praise.

Even those who’ve accepted the new research on praise have trouble putting it into practice. Sue Needleman is both a mother of two and an elementary school teacher with 11 years’ experience. Last year, she was a fourth-grade teacher at Ridge Ranch Elementary in Paramus, New Jersey. She has never heard of Carol Dweck, but the gist of Dweck’s research has trickled down to her school, and Needleman has learned to say, “I like how you keep trying.” She tries to keep her praise specific, rather than general, so that a child knows exactly what she did to earn the praise (and thus can get more). She will occasionally tell a child, “You’re good at math,” but she’ll never tell a child he’s bad at math.

But that’s at school, as a teacher. At home, old habits die hard. Her eight-year-old daughter and her five-year-old son are indeed smart, and sometimes she hears herself saying, “You’re great. You did it. You’re smart.” When I press her on this, Needleman says that what comes out of academia often feels artificial. “When I read the mock dialogues, my first thought is, Oh, please. How corny.”

No such qualms exist for teachers at the Life Sciences Secondary School in East Harlem, because they’ve seen Dweck’s theories applied to their junior high students. Dweck and her protégée, Dr. Lisa Blackwell, published a report in the academic journal Child Development about the effect of a semester-long intervention conducted to improve students’ math scores.

Life Sciences is a health-science magnet school with high aspirations but 700 students whose main attributes are being predominantly minority and low achieving. Blackwell split her kids into two groups for an eight-session workshop. The control group was taught study skills, and the others got study skills and a special module on how intelligence is not innate. These students took turns reading aloud an essay on how the brain grows new neurons when challenged. They saw slides of the brain and acted out skits. “Even as I was teaching these ideas,” Blackwell noted, “I would hear the students joking, calling one another ‘dummy’ or ‘stupid.’” After the module was concluded, Blackwell tracked her students’ grades to see if it had any effect.

It didn’t take long. The teachers—who hadn’t known which students had been assigned to which workshop—could pick out the students who had been taught that intelligence can be developed. They improved their study habits and grades. In a single semester, Blackwell reversed the students’ longtime trend of decreasing math grades.

The only difference between the control group and the test group were two lessons, a total of 50 minutes spent teaching not math but a single idea: that the brain is a muscle. Giving it a harder workout makes you smarter. That alone improved their math scores.

“These are very persuasive findings,” says Columbia’s Dr. Geraldine Downey, a specialist in children’s sensitivity to rejection. “They show how you can take a specific theory and develop a curriculum that works.”

Psychologist Wulf-Uwe Meyer, a pioneer in the field, conducted a series of studies during which children watched other students receive praise. According to Meyer’s findings, by the age of 12, children believe that earning praise from a teacher is not a sign you did well—it’s actually a sign you lack ability and the teacher thinks you need extra encouragement. They’ve picked up the pattern: kids who are falling behind get drowned in praise. Teens, Meyer found, discounted praise to such an extent that they believed it’s a teacher’s criticism that really conveys a positive belief in a student’s aptitude.

Excessive praise also distorts children’s motivation; they begin doing things merely to hear the praise, losing sight of intrinsic enjoyment. Scholars from Reed College and Stanford reviewed over 150 praise studies. Their analysis determined that praised students become risk-averse and lack perceived autonomy. The scholars found consistent correlations between a liberal use of praise and students’ “shorter task persistence, more eye-checking with the teacher, and inflected speech such that answers have the intonation of questions.” When they get to college, heavily praised students commonly drop out of classes rather than suffer a mediocre grade, and they have a hard time picking a major—they’re afraid to commit to something because they’re afraid of not succeeding.

One suburban New Jersey high school English teacher told me she can spot the kids who get overpraised at home. Their parents think they’re just being supportive, but the students sense their parents’ high expectations, and feel so much pressure they can’t concentrate on the subject, only the grade they will receive. “I had a mother say, ‘You are destroying my child’s self-esteem,’ because I’d given her son a C. I told her, ‘Your child is capable of better work.’ I’m not there to make them feel better. I’m there to make them do better.”

When students transition into junior high, some who’d done well in elementary school inevitably struggle in the larger and more demanding environment. Those who equated their earlier success with their innate ability surmise they’ve been dumb all along. Their grades never recover because the likely key to their recovery—increasing effort—they view as just further proof of their failure. In interviews many confess they would “seriously consider cheating.”

Students turn to cheating because they haven’t developed a strategy for handling failure. The problem is compounded when a parent ignores a child’s failures and insists that he’ll do it better next time. Michigan scholar Jennifer Crocker studies this exact scenario and explains that the child may come to believe failure is something so terrible, the family can’t acknowledge its existence. A child deprived of the opportunity to discuss mistakes can’t learn from them.

Offering praise has become a sort of panacea for the anxieties of modern parenting. Out of our children’s lives from breakfast to dinner, we turn it up a notch when we get home. In those few hours together, we want them to hear things we can’t say during the day—We are in your corner, we are here for you, we believe in you.

In a similar way, we put our children in high-pressure environments, seeking out the best schools we can find, then we use the constant praise to soften the intensity of those environments. We expect so much of them, but we hide our expectations behind constant glowing praise. For me, the duplicity became glaring.

I realized that not telling my son he was smart meant I was leaving it up to him to make his own conclusion about his intelligence. Jumping in with praise is like jumping in too soon with the answer to a homework problem—it robs him of the chance to make the deduction himself.

But what if he makes the wrong conclusion?

Can I really leave this up to him, at his age?

I’m still an anxious parent. This morning, I tested him on the way to school: “What happens to your brain, again, when it gets to think about something hard?”

“It gets bigger, like a muscle,” he responded, having aced this one before.

Good article Dave. I enjoy reading Carol Dweck stuff. I agree with her findings about too much positivism. I think it needs to be 'deserved praise' and not too overdone.

I think we (coaches) expect things to go good... therefore we don't praise players consistently when things are good... but we certainly let players know when things aren't good! However, I do try to catch my players doing something right and letting them know. As a coach, it is far easier to be overly critical and negative. Sometimes it is tough to break old habits!

Dave King showed me a 2 x 2 Matrix in 1990...

General Positive General Negative
Specific Positive Specific Negative

He said a coach could have someone record and code the comments they made on the bench or during practice, into one of these four categories. Far too many coaches hand out General Positive comments ("good shift") - what the heck does that mean? Be specific! Dave suggested that from coding a game and a practice, you could gain a lot of insight into what you were saying... and then you could see how to fine-tune your coaching style in the future. Specific Positive and Specific Negative are better than general comments.

Plus using the Game Sense Approach, the coach shouldn't 'tell' the athlete anything. Ask them what they did / saw out there and then guide them towards what you really want to get across!

PS - I just watched the CBS 60 Minutes special on Pete Carroll when he was coaching at USC (about two years old). This guy was full of enthusiasm and positives - almost over the top - but it worked for him!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

CULLEN: HOCKEY AT THE SLOAN SPORTS ANALYTICS CONFERENCE

SCOTT CULLEN TSN 3/11/2011

After detailing my time last week at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference here, I had promised a look at more hockey-centric themes from the conference in a future blog.

This is that stats-oriented stick-and-puck blog.

Part of the reason for making my inaugural trek to the conference was that this year was the first year that they had a Hockey Analytics panel. I know baseball is at the forefront of the stats movement and that basketball has been getting on the fast track in recent years but, going to the conference, I really wasn't sure how NHL teams use advanced analytics.

Now that I'm home, I still don't know, but my suspicion is that it's not nearly enough.

In any case, we'll begin this recap with the Saturday morning panel, moderated by Katie Burke, daughter of Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke and the Chair of the Alumni Executive Board for the conference.

The panel consisted of:
Stan Bowman, the general manager of the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks;
Jeff Solomon, VP of Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs, Los Angeles Kings;
Dan MacKinnon, Director of Player Personnel, Pittsburgh Penguins;
Don Fishman, Assistant GM and Director of Legal Affairs, Washington Capitals;
Jim Price, President, RinkNet

Bowman acknowledged that he broke into the hockey business on the finance side of things and used statistics to help improve his value on the operations side.

Admittedly, however, hockey's statistical analysis isn't the most refined. Bowman noted that the initial way of evaluating players internally consisted of having the coach give a player a rating (out of five) after each game.

The trouble with that subjective rating was that coaches tended to overvalue grinders in that format. With no expectations to score, a grinder would get a good grade provided they did the requisite skating and hitting, whereas a skilled forward that was expected to score would tend not to generate good ratings unless he produced offensively.

While the Blackhawks still use the subjective measurement, it's been combined with statistical measures that help smooth out the ratings. Bowman wasn't specific in detailing what stats the Blackhawks use, which is understandable, but there was no hinting that the Blackhawks have some special stats that they keep on their own.

When you consider the stats revolution that is taking place in basketball, for example, it's easy to grasp from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey (two of the more prominent execs at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) that their organizations keep stats that aren't readily accessible in the public domain, but there wasn't even any hint in that regard from the hockey panel, that their teams have, say, a metric for clearing the zone successfully while under pressure (for defencemen).

I found Solomon to be interesting because he was a former player agent and, from an agent's perspective, I could see advanced statistics really coming in handy when it comes to contract negotiation time and given the reputation of a baseball agent like Scott Boras for statistical preparation as a source of leverage when it comes time to conduct contract talks, I wouldn't be surprised if there are hockey agents that are more progressive on the stats front than their counterparts in NHL front offices.

To that end, Solomon seemed to be open to more statistical input, but acknowledged that the NHL seemed to be at least five years behind the other sports when it comes to using advanced statistical measures.

MacKinnon and Fishman had what amounted to team marquee value, since they represented those involved in HBO's 24-7 Capitals-Penguins. While it was clear that both thirst for more information, it didn't seem like they were heavy into advanced statistical measures.

When MacKinnon made the point that he doesn't even know the stats lines of the Penguins prospects, insisting that the projection required for prospects is too great to get overly concerned about their junior or college stats, I was at least gratified by Bowman's assertion that if a player is being projected as a scoring forward in the NHL, then they have to have a certain level of scoring accomplishment in junior.

That's not to say a productive junior player is guaranteed to score as a pro, but it's very, very rare for a player to score at a higher rate as he moves up the developmental ladder.

Additionally, I simply can't imagine that there can't be metrics, especially when combined with scouting information, to help measure the likelihood of a prospect reaching expectations in the NHL.

Remember when Angelo Esposito scored 98 points as a QMJHL rookie in 2005-2006, then fell to 79 points the next year and yet the Penguins still drafted him 20th overall in 2007?

Even before the knee injuries that seem to have derailed his prospect status, the dip in Esposito's production (to 69 points in 2007-2008) had to be some cause for concern; something that, with the right metric, the numbers may have brought to light before the decline was so apparent.

Admittedly, part of the trouble when dealing with the statistics of junior and college hockey players is that there is such a wide variance in the calibre of teammates and opposition.

I still expect that the kind of bright minds involved at this conference would be able to figure out ways to include strength of teammates and opposition into the metrics, so that numbers aren't just thrown out entirely.

This is a common challenge for those in analytics, trying to get good data included, rather than thrown away altogether because it doesn't necessarily have the all-encompassing answer in a single number. Making a decision that is even 10% smarter is still worthwhile, believe it or not.

One of the more frustrating moments, for me, during this panel was a sequence in which MacKinnon, Fishman and Bowman all took shots at the value of plus-minus, because it doesn't measure strength of opposition and some players get "easy minutes" and/or players may be benefitting from playing with stronger teammates.

This is an entirely valid concern, but hardly limited to plus-minus.

I get it, plus-minus is hardly the be-all and end-all of stats, but doesn't who a player plays with and against affect everything they do on the ice? Don't tell me that playing on Sidney Crosby's wing brings the same expectations for goal scoring, or even shots on goal, as it does for those skating alongside Mike Rupp, and that's before we even get to who they match up against on other teams.

My view is that all stats need to put into context if they are going to have value. Go back to Esposito's rookie season in the Q, when he was so highly-touted after scoring 98 points. He was the second-highest scorer on his team that season, a mere 54 (!) points behind Alexander Radulov. Given that context, wouldn't that undermine the pure total of 98 points all on its own?

Conversely, one of this year's first-round prospects, Matt Puempel of the Peterborough Petes, is having a productive year, scoring 69 points in 55 games, ahead of teammate Austin Watson, who was a first-round pick of the Nashville Predators last summer.

Puempel is also minus-33 on a brutal Petes team that has 13 skaters with a rating at minus-20 or lower. When put into the context of his team's overall troubles, Puempel's value as a draft prospect doesn't seem to be affected much (if at all) by his plus-minus.

Fishman did, however, use context to bring Alexander Ovechkin's struggles to light, saying that Ovechkin's even-strength production was still good, but that his real struggles have come on the power play, a unit that has struggled as a whole for Washington.

Ovechkin has six power play goals in 68 games this season, well behind the pace of last year's 13 power play goals in 72 games that was his previous career low.

One of the presenters that I met with at the conference was Brian Macdonald, an assistant math professor at West Point, who had devised an adjusted plus-minus statistic that accounted for teammates, opposition, zone start and could be used as a measure for special teams as well.

Anytime you're dealing with advanced stats for the first time, it's nice to at least see some results off the top that make sense and while discussion with Brian revealed some of the surprised that he thought might be flukes (like Jason Pominville among the top even-strength defensive wingers), there's something to be said for identifying value in typically underrated players like Jan Hejda and Mike Weaver on the defensive metric.

I still need to spend more time going through Macdonald's numbers, but I obviously like his idea of trying to account for strength of teammates and opposition to devise his numbers because it helps provide context.

Michael Schuckers, an associate statistics professor at St. Lawrence University, comprised a defense-independent goaltender rating, which attempted to remove the quality of shot distribution that each goaltender faces, evaluating goaltenders based on a league-wide shot distribution and quality.

Again, the numbers require some investigation, but the result showed Ryan Miller as the best in the league, with numbers that indicated that the Sabres effectively surrendered a league-average quality of shots against last season.

At the lower end of the scale, for last season, Tim Thomas and Jimmy Howard were a couple of the goaltenders that would have fared substantially worse if given league-average shot quality.

On the surface, the theory is interesting and given the rise of fielding independent pitching in baseball, defense independent goaltending in hockey makes sense as a measure too.

I also ran into Adam Gold, who runs www.WinningUnlimited.com. Adam has done some stats work for the St. Louis Blues, but his pet project is much more ambitious, trying to change the way the league sets its draft order based on when a team is eliminated from the postseason.

For a league that has shown zero interest in changing an already massively-flawed standings model, Adam has a big hill to climb, but part of the beauty of the Sloan Conference is getting unique ideas like his.

One of the presentations I didn't get to -- and I most defintely regret -- was e-mailed to me after the fact (the beauty of TSN's reach in the hockey community), Does Decision Order Matter? An Empirical Analysis of the NHL Draft, by Michael Brydon and Peter Tingling, assistant business professors at Simon Fraser who focus on decision theory when examining NHL drafts from 1995 through 2003, revealed just how random the results of the NHL draft tend to be.

Their findings suggest that, while some teams may hold an advantage in early rounds, a lot of teams do no better than random chance at the draft table and, even without advanced statistical measures being utilized, could be improved upon simply with better decision-making processes.

Now, if an NHL team really wanted to go crazy, maybe they could use improved decision-making processes and advanced statistical data to really come up with a comparitive advantage over the opposition.

On the Hockey Analytics panel, MacKinnon seemed most interested in having an expanded statistical reach in junior and college hockey, tracking more than mere goals and assists, but there was no real suggestion about how that would occur.

Is it valuable enough information that NHL's Central Scouting would be responsible for increasing the statistical measures in developmental leagues?

There does seem like a desire for knowledge but, as it is with any sports, it's fair to question how analytics can be applied to give a team an advantage.

When one considers that the Dallas Mavericks, for example, have a full-time statistical analyst (Roland Beech) on the payroll, and estimates at the conference indicated that there may be 20 NBA teams with someone in charge of providing analytics, Mark Cuban's position seems appropriate. "The way I look at it, relative to the cost," said Cuban in a recent Time Magazine interview, "if (Beech) wins me one game, he's paid for himself."

While there surely are some NHL teams that use analytics, I'm not yet sure how widespread it is in practice. This league still seems awfully old school in a lot of ways. No, really, it does.

The Minnesota Wild hired former sports writer Chris Snow to take on a position that would help them address contract negotiations, arbitration, free agency and the draft, but he was let go when a new regime took over.

While some teams may have consulting done when it comes to analytics, it still seems like an area ripe for improvement in many cases.

As mentioned in my previous post on the conference, scouting information can be combined with analytics, so there really ought to be more efficient methods of doing business for NHL teams. If a team's analytics department is able to help with an arbitration case, a draft pick, a contract negotiation, a savvy trade, isn't any one of those things likely to be worth the salary of one full-time employee?

Maybe they're all doing it and we just don't know about it but, as I say, I'm suspicious that this is an under-utilized method of evaluation, both in terms of player and contract value.

Part of the reason may be this unfortunate point about analytics in hockey that was presented by Fishman. As analytics would seem like a prime tool when going to arbitration with a player, one of the downsides of the process is that the arbitrators tend not to know hockey particularly well so the statistics that end up being used are very basic.

That being the case, it means that even trying to convince an arbitrator that adjusted plus-minus is a much better true measure of a player's value seems like a battle not worth fighting.

Can a hockey team embrace this kind of analysis?

Under a salary cap system in which teams at the top are forced to make ruthless financial decisions all the time and teams at the lower end of the pay scale are run on tight budgets, how can teams not adopt something that would allow them to make better decisions with their money?

I have lots of questions, but still need answers. Maybe someone could provide some analytics on this for me.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Time is now for GMs to step up on player safety

CBC SPORTS Mike Milbury March 14, 2011

A couple of times each year, the NHL's general managers meet to discuss pertinent business. There is never enough time to thoroughly discuss the issues presented to them by the league.

Maybe this time they can clear the slate of issues, save for the one that has been debated throughout the hockey world this past week: player safety.

I'm not an alarmist, but the data does suggest it is time to review the matter. The Zdeno Chara hit not withstanding, it can't be denied that hitting is up and so are injuries, particularly concussions.

The GMs will not make concussions go away - if you don't want to get hurt, don't play the game - but they can help by methodically examining the factors that have lead to the predicament.

Faster game, more injuries

Number one on the list: Revisit the changes that were made enthusiastically but hastily in 2004.

The attempt during the lockout to open up the game has been as much a culprit as anything to bring us to this point. The red line was removed, impeding a forechecker was banned and goaltender puckhandling was minimized.

Besides developing a faster game, these changes cleared the way for bigger and more dangerous hits.

According to my colleagueon the Hotstove, Pierre LeBrun, hits are up by 40 per cent since the 2004 lockout. More hits, more concussions. How's that for a start? It will take more than that, but I assure that allowing for a bit of impeding, letting checkers employ their hands and arms in briefly locking up their check (as used to be the case) will go a long way to bringing back some moderation to the collisions we now see.

Clearly, they can't stop there. Take the time using a blue ribbon committee including players, coaches, managers, physicians and equipment manufacturers to examine all the aspects of the issue.

Can the seamless glass

And for goodness sake, look at the playing surface, boards and glass. Seamless glass is a joke. A bad joke.

When I was a manager on Long Island, the owners of the team in the late 1990s asked me about using seamless glass. "It's great. Look at the clarity! And in the long run it will be cheaper than Plexiglas because it holds up so well."

My response was simple. This stuff is no good. Too heavy. It's like hitting a brick wall. I told them that if they wanted to put it in that they could have me on record as being totally opposed to it. And by the way, while I have no data, I bet they lost tons more money due to player injury than they saved by using it.

Today the league has several teams that have seamless on the ends of their rinks. All of these teams are due to replace the seamless on the ends by next season. Should have been done long ago. But wait, seamless glass still exists all over the place on the sideboards. GET RID OF IT. The league has to take blame if a single player gets hurt playing in an arena with seamless glass.

Eliminate the glass partitions between the benches. Put a couple cops there and make the sanction for interacting (that means fighting) with the other team in that area a 40-game suspension. End of problem.

Onus on players, too

The GMs need to take a long and thorough look at safety issues and then, when changes get made, educate the players and public to the whys and wherefores of these changes.

The players don't care nearly enough about the rules of their game. Show them video. Tell them why the changes were made. Show them how to change their behaviour. Make them responsible. Always amuses me about the game: Players show up for work for about two or three hours a day for practice. Maybe we can impinge on their time for another few minutes to make sure they understand a bit more about the rules and the way the game can be played hard, but reasonably safely.

And, yes, look at the role fighting plays in the game and how much it has to do with the concussion issue. At the very least, find a way to make the five-minute, end-of-the-bench cowboy get back on his horse and ride over to the ultimate fighting ring.

Re-examine discipline

And for the love of god, please change the disciplinary process.

I have respect for what Colin Campbell and Mike Murphy have tried to do, but it is time to introduce a transparent process and standardized punishments. One game, three games, nine games? Silly, if well intended.

Whatever comes of these meetings, I do hope it will be productive. I am sick and tired to having to listen to the Monday morning radio shock jocks pretend they know hockey and bash the game.

Hey, did anyone see Pavel Datsyuk's goal the other night?! Did you see Ovie and Johansson on that give-and-go goal? Things of beauty. We have better talent than ever and I wish we would focus a little more on it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Young hockey players hit the ice, then the books

INGRID PERITZ Shediac, N.B.— From Saturday's Globe and Mail

The Atom hockey practice at the Shediac arena takes players through their skating, shooting and stick-handling drills. But the coach saves his most popular training tip for last.

Standing in the locker room after practice, coach Shane Doiron delivers his instructions to the roomful of nine- and 10-year-old boys, who’ve unlaced their skates and packed up their gear.

“Now,” he says, “we’re going to do our reading.”

The boys reach for books: The weekly Shediac Capitals reading circle is under way.

For three years, Mr. Doiron has parlayed his position as a hockey coach to instill a love of books among his grade-school charges. Driven by his own regrets at sidelining reading while he pursued a hockey career, he’s trying to get his players to find inspiration between the covers of books as much as on the ice.

In doing so, he’s using Canada’s game to overcome boys’ lagging reading scores.

“I spend hours and hours teaching them to skate and shoot pucks,” the 36-year-old coach says. “This teaches them life. It’s a gift.”

Mr. Doiron’s book club reaches to the heart of a critical problem in Canada. The literacy gap is growing between boys and girls, leaving boys trailing in the reading and writing skills they need for academic achievement.

The reading group in Shediac, a community outside Moncton on New Brunswick’s east coast, tries to avoid the pitfalls associated with boys’ disaffection for books.

Here, reading’s not a girly thing. The adulated male coach is a reader. And the players are given a selection of books to choose from, almost all of them about hockey and adventures. A favourite this year is Le Zamboni, about a junior goalie who enters the belly of an ice-smoothing machine and its magical dream machine.

Mr. Doiron insists on recruiting fathers for the club, which unfolds in the chummy atmosphere of the post-practice dressing room. When the coach gives the signal, the 17 team members split off into groups of threes and fours and huddle on the benches with a volunteer dad. At this week’s gathering, fathers leaned in to hear the boys’ animated talk about their reading. Mr. Doiron led one group, kneeling on the floor before a clutch of rapt boys, who were going over the action in a book about the exploits of a gang of young adventurers on a deserted island. (Most of the books are in French, the language of the boys’ schooling.)

Mr. Doiron asks the boys to spend about 20 minutes reading before bedtime. No one’s punished for not doing it, but they’re told they would be letting their teammates down.

“I tell them to finish the day with a good book.” Mr. Doiron says. “I explain that reading is part of exercise. The more you exercise your brain the better you think on the ice. But it’s not work, it’s fun.”

The recipe seems to work. Parents tell him their sons are picking up books unprompted, and their grades at school have improved.

“Sometimes my son will say to me, ‘Dad, let’s read, I’ve got to get my reading done,’ ” says Keith Allain, father of nine-year-old Samuel. “Before, reading for him was a chore. Now it’s part of his routine. I’ll see him grab a book.”

The boys seem to be won over. Pausing in his gear before heading onto the ice, 10-year-old Jason Gallant says he’s spending less time on his Xbox. “I read instead. When I’m bored I take a book.”

Mr. Doiron’s determination to put books in boys’ hands took root in his own experience with hockey. He grew up in a small community near Shediac, where boys like him lived and breathed the game. Reading, he recalls, just “wasn’t cool.”

His skills as a defenceman catapulted him to the major juniors, but by age 19 the dream of an NHL career had faded. He enrolled in university. That’s where, while trying to read a biology text for class, he realized his reading skills were too weak for him to keep up. “Here I was and I only knew one thing in life: hockey, and nothing else.”

Mr. Doiron stuck with his studies and graduated with honours in civil-engineering technology. And when he became a minor-hockey coach, he decided he would help give his players the opportunities he’d missed.

“I didn’t want them to be like I was at age 20. I wanted them to be able to make choices that I didn’t have,” says Mr. Doiron, a father of three who works for the federal government. “We have this great tool in Canada. It’s called hockey. We have it in every small town and village in this country. There have been too many horror stories about hockey coaches. Stories of abuse. I want hockey to do good.”

Mr. Doiron’s mix of no-nonsense authority and big-hearted commitment to his players seem to be key. His words carry the kind of weight that parents might envy.

“A hockey coach is like a demigod,” says Manon Jolicoeur, who wrote her master’s thesis at the University of Moncton on the Shediac reading circle. “When he says something, he doesn’t have to repeat it.”

Ms. Jolicoeur found that even “disengaged” boys who were initially the least interested in books signed on for the coach’s club. “Their parents didn’t have to remind them, like they did for school. When the boys read for the book club, they read for themselves.” She adds: “What’s interesting is that all of them, without exception, said the same thing, ‘On my next team, I’d like it if my coach asks me to read.’ ”

Each Monday, the preadolescent boys who file into the Shediac arena arrive with a freezer-sized Ziploc bag. It contains their book, a pencil and a notebook, in which they’ve jotted down notes or a drawing about that week’s reading. It’s become so entrenched that one boy, Félix LeBlanc, was sitting out the practice due to a knee injury this week but showed up clutching his Ziploc bag anyway.

That bag is, in many ways, a testament to Mr. Doiron’s success. “At the end of the year, if I’ve developed 17 kids on the ice and off the ice, it’s worth more than one championship. Because a championship is one day. Reading is for a lifetime.”

Maybe he should make it his mantra: He Shoots. He Reads. He Scores.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Neurosurgeon argues against hockey bodychecks: increased risk of brain injury

March 15, 2011 - 19:54 The Canadian Press

TORONTO - A mountain of evidence exists to show that bodychecking in hockey has detrimental effects, says a neurosurgeon who has compiled new statistics on kids' hockey injuries.

Young players were more than 10 times as likely to suffer a brain injury after Hockey Canada allowed body contact for the Atom age group in the 1998-1999 season, says the study published Tuesday by the journal Open Medicine.

Dr. Michael Cusimano of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto and colleagues looked at data for 8,552 boys ages six to 17 who went to one of five hospital emergency departments in Ontario for hockey-related injuries over 10 seasons, before and after bodychecking rules were relaxed. The hospitals had all collected information as members of the Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program.

The researchers found that more than half of the injuries were related to bodychecking.

"And we found that certain groups were more vulnerable," Cusimano said in an interview.

"The group that had bodychecking first introduced, that is, the Atom group, they had the highest odds of sustaining a bodychecking related injury compared to the other groups.

"If we looked at the different types of injuries that occurred especially at that age group, that the odds ratio for a brain injury was 10 times after the rule change, as compared to before."

The Atom division was 10- and 11-year-olds in 1998-99, but the ages for the division changed to nine and 10 in 2002-03. The Hockey Canada website says the rule for bodychecking is now PeeWee and above — ages 11 and 12.

Cusimano said it's time to ask questions about the role of kids' hockey, and whether it is to create National Hockey League players, or it's for kids who won't go on to play major league hockey.

"If the goal is to create NHL players, we know that the chance of getting into the NHL is about one in 4,000 kids, so are we designing hockey for the one in 4,000 kids, or are we designing hockey for the other 3,999 other kids?" he asked.

Options that don't expose kids to risks of injury are needed for children who want to play at a high level of skill, he said. These kids and teens would then have all the benefits of hockey, including fun, teamwork and physical fitness.

Paul Carson, vice-president of hockey development at Hockey Canada, said the study numbers are interesting and worth noting, but he observed that they cover the period 1994 to 2004.

A lot of good programs have been put in place since then, he said, including checking clinics at the branch level, as well as checking resources and concussion seminars.

"I think all research is important, and Hockey Canada certainly values the contributions of the research in the medical communities," he said in an interview from Calgary.

"It provides us with the type of information that we need to review, and we need to be very much a part of paying attention to, in terms of creating a safe environment for participants."

Cusimano said recent concussions sustained by Pittsburgh star Sidney Crosby and Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty have put the spotlight on the issue once again.

Crosby is one of the best players in the world and knows how to give and take a bodycheck, he noted.

"If it can happen to him, it can happen to anybody and all of a sudden there's a name to that silent face of brain injury, of the thousands of kids who sustain brain injury every year," Cusimano said.

"I think we have to ask groups that are involved in hockey, like Hockey Canada, like the NHL, is when are they going to take a leadership position that reduces the risk to children and youth?"

Carson said it brings to the forefront, particularly for minor league parents and participants, the need to pay attention to concussions — "for example, that we don't just shrug off a blow to the head as a bump, and possibly a mild concussion, but that we recognize it as a potential injury, and we need to deal with it properly."

Theresa Dostaler, who runs the website Hockey Mom in Canada, says she's interested in knowing what can be done within body contact hockey to reduce injuries.

"I don't disagree with the authors' claims that it's not a good thing to start body contact early, like in Atom. I'm happy to see it held off till PeeWee," she said from her home in Madoc, Ont.

"But I'm not sure that you can remove body contact from hockey entirely. So if that's the case, then how do we make it safer for players?"

Her two sons, ages six and eight, play hockey, and she also has a three-year-old daughter.

Dostaler was on her way out the door to see a game between the Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins; ironically, she was only able to get the tickets because the injured Crosby wasn't playing.

The NHL could go further to ensure players aren't subjected to hits to the head or checked if they don't have the puck, she said.

"At lower levels, I think it's about proper coaching and the coaches sending out the right messages, and I also think there's a role for proper equipment."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hitting younger not always better

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail HAYLEY MICK Published Tuesday, Mar. 15, 2011

In his latest study on hockey injuries, Michael Cusimano has zeroed in on an old debate: can allowing bodychecking at a younger age improve safety by teaching kids to hit properly?

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Open Medicine, centred around the 1998-99 youth hockey season, when Hockey Canada lowered the legal age for body contact to include Atom-level players. The rule change introduced boys as young as nine to the hits. (Previously, only those aged 12 years and older could bodycheck. The rules have since been reversed so the earliest age of allowable body contact is with 11-year-old Pee Wee players.)

Dr. Cusimano, a neurosurgeon and researcher at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, and his colleagues found that the Atom-aged kids were more than two times as likely to be injured from bodychecking after the rule changes took effect. Interestingly, the rate of head injuries increased by 26 per cent overall, including in the older age groups. Head and necks were among the body parts that saw the biggest jump in injury rates.

The results were based on a total of 8,552 hockey-related injuries reported at five Ontario hospitals during a 10-year period beginning in 1994. Injuries reported before the rule change were compared to those suffered after the rule change in players ages nine to 17.

The take-home message: “If we want to protect kids’ brains, then we need to seriously consider what is the value of allowing bodychecking in youth hockey,” Dr. Cusimano says.

Dr. Cusimano detailed the findings for The Globe and Mail from Toronto.

You found that the odds of being injured increased in all age groups after the rule change, but the most significant increase happened with Atom players, when kids were first exposed to bodychecking. Why do you think that is?

As soon as you expose a person to a risk, then you see a big jump. But the risk doesn’t go down later. It stays up. In fact, in some of the older age groups, the risk was also higher as well.

So is it possible that the increased risk of injury from bodychecking has nothing to do with age?

That’s right. If [body checking was first allowed at] age 18, [the increase] would probably have occurred when they were 18. If it was six, it probably would have occurred when they were six.

Can you continue that thought? Are you saying that bodychecking is just inherently dangerous, no matter how old you are?

I think there’s some truth in that. If you’ve got three-year-old kids who are doing it, there’s probably no intention in the three-year-olds to hurt each other. They haven’t developed that culture yet … they just want to have fun. Whereas by the time they get to 10, 11 years old, they’re starting to understand the culture of winning and the culture of what they’re supposed to be doing out there. So it would manifest there.

In your paper, you point to several other studies that have showed that “learning to bodycheck at a younger age does not reduce a player’s odds of injury.” You add that allowing kids to start bodychecking earlier only prolongs their exposure to risk. But some people still argue that you can prevent injuries by teaching kids to bodycheck properly. Why do you think that idea persists?

I think it’s just a lack of understanding of what the data says. Who do you think are the best bodycheckers are in the world?

NHL players?

And who do you think has the highest rate of concussion in the world?

NHL players?

Well, if they knew how to give and take a check the best of anybody, why wouldn’t their rates be one of the lowest rates? It doesn’t have to do with learning to give or take a bodycheck. Look at Sidney Crosby. Is there any player in the world who has more skill than Crosby? Maybe [Alexander] Ovechkin. Maybe not. That’s like putting the blame on the player who receives the bodycheck. That’s a total misunderstanding of the inherent risk of the practice.

Maybe what they’re saying is that the people who are doing the bodychecking don’t know how do it properly.

Well, the same argument goes for the NHL then. Those guys know how to give a bodycheck. Those guys certainly know how to put Sidney Crosby out. And [Zdeno] Chara certainly knows how to put out [Max] Pacioretty. They know how to give it and they know how to take it, but the fact is, people are still getting injured. And ultimately the game is getting injured and damaged. Because if you’re a mother or father with a young child, you’re going to think twice … the kids are leaving the sport.

You’ve been sounding the alarm about violence in hockey for a long time, but have you noticed that the conversation has changed in the past year?

I think things are shifting. I think things like the Sidney Crosby event is sort of shifting the whole focus as well. People are coming around to recognizing: What’s the value in this practice of allowing kids to get their brains injured? And really, brains are our most precious resource. So why should we tolerate that?

NOTE: The script of this conversation has been edited and condensed.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Ban on all hits to head not in cards, yet

ROY MACGREGOR BOCA RATON, FLA.— From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Mar. 15, 2011

There are 31 general managers gathered around the table in South Florida, where the NHL is reconsidering its rules in light of heightened concerns about concussions.

That’s 30 GMs of existing franchises, and one seat for the 30-million-or-so Canadians who consider themselves astute general managers when it comes to hockey. As for those many Canadians who don’t care about their national game, their vote goes by proxy to those few Americans, relatively speaking, who do.

But make no mistake, public opinion has had a say – even if not as much as it had hoped.

“Sometimes,” said Brendan Shanahan, the former player who is now a league vice-president, “when the public gets so focused on something like that, it improves the climate for change.”

Shanahan was quick to point out, however, the league had already been examining its stance well prior to such recent attention-grabbing incidents as the Jan. 1 concussion that has kept Sidney Crosby, the NHL’s best player, out of action, and the March 8 hit by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara that put Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty on a stretcher, leading to massive public outcry, particularly in Quebec, when the league decided no supplementary discipline against Chara was required.

Shanahan equated the situation to receiving a call to play golf “and you’re already on the 14th tee.”

“This meeting was happening with or without the Chara hit,” he said. “We didn't just drum up 15 years of evidence and data over the last seven days.”

All the same, the public concern – echoed by politicians such as Prime Minister Stephen Harper and hockey legend Ken Dryden, as well as by such pivotal NHL sponsors as Air Canada and Via Rail Canada Inc. – has rippled like the ocean itself along the beach where three days of meetings will sew up Wednesday.

Though there has been a widespread call to ban all hits to the head – as Dryden put it: “It’s time to stop being stupid” – the league refused to go that distance, though it did take a few promising steps in the right direction.

On Monday, commissioner Gary Bettman presented a five-point plan that included improvements on concussion diagnosis, improving the safety of boards and glass surrounding NHL rinks and spreading the responsibility for actions beyond the players to coaches and perhaps even team owners.

“Teams have got to take responsibility for the actions of their players,” said Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero, whose club owner, Mario Lemieux, has recommended large fines be imposed on teams that fail to comply.

“The game constantly evolves,” Shanahan said Tuesday. He believes such “tweaking” will become a regular occurrence every few years for the league.

The GMs simply could not agree after a second day of discussions on any rule that would apply to all hits to the head – though a handful of the 30, including Shero, are known to favour such a ban.

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke said there was no appetite for “a blanket ban” as such hits can also come from a perfectly legal body check. The league maintains most concussions this year have come from legal hits, though there is much public debate over what should be legal and what not.

Burke maintained the gathering needed to avoid “changing the fabric of the game,” while at the same time improving safety in what has always been and must remain a tough, physical sport.

So while many fans will be disappointed the NHL has not seen fit to join lesser leagues that forbid all hits to the head – accidental or not – fans who favour safer hockey may be slightly mollified by Tuesday’s initiative to return to, and enforce, a couple of long-standing rules.

For as long as the game has been played, there have been rules against “charging” and “boarding,” but in recent decades both rules have largely fallen by the wayside. Charging, for instance, used to be deemed when a player had taken at least three quick strides to hit another – while today, with the game far faster, players are more often “coasting” at high speed when they take aim at an opponent.

NHL senior vice-president of hockey operations Colin Campbell says the idea of looking again at these two old rules came when one player – Ottawa Senators centre Jason Spezza – happened to ask at a committee meeting: “What exactly is boarding?”

Even Steve Yzerman, the Tampa Bay Lightning GM who starred for two decades in the league, said “Prior to today’s meeting I maybe had read the rule” – but had little understanding of it.

The two penalties are rule 41 (boarding) and rule 42 (charging), each broken down into a long list of definitions and variations, depending on severity. Boarding is called to penalize a player who checks in manner that causes the opponent “to be thrown violently into the boards.” Charging is called when a player covers come distance to “violently check” an opponent.

Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray says the rules are better understood if they move beyond “violent” and simply focus on the “disregard” of one player for the safety of another. “We want stronger rulings,” he said.

The other GMs agreed, saying, come summer, recommendations will be made that, by next season, the league will call such penalties and supplementary discipline in the form of more suspensions and longer suspensions will be in place.

Murray said he had suggested it was time “to rethink” the red line, perhaps bringing the two-line pass back to slow up attacking players, but it went nowhere.

As for the call to allow defencemen more latitude in obstructing attacking players to slow matters down, it, too, failed. “If you let a little of it go,” Murray said of allowing obstruction back into the game, “it would be a lot before too long.”

“We have rules,” Shanahan said. “We’re going to call the rules.”

“There’s work to be done,” Bettman added.

For the public GM, as well – full-time work in prodding the NHL to continue with these welcome early steps until the national game gets to where the nation wants it.

And where the players, of every age, need it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The WHL and concussions: A mother cries out for help

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Gregg Drinnan - Taking Note...Kamloops Sports

When Zdeno Chara ran Max Pacioretty into a turnbuckle in Montreal one night last week, who could have anticipated the aftermath?

Sheesh, even Air Canada and Via Rail got into the act, as did, predictably, the odd spotlight-seeking politician.

When things like this happen in places like Montreal and Boston, or Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, the tendency in our little corner of the world is to yawn, shrug and move on.

But if you are a fan of this great game of ours, perhaps you should be concerned. Because the rules changed this month.

When Boston University’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy revealed that the brain of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert exhibited "the same degenerative disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy" that is connected to multiple concussions, the curtains were pulled back to reveal a whole new world.

Who in this generation could relate to CTE having been found in the brain of Reggie Fleming, who played in the NHL in the 1960s? Probert, though, is a different story. He’s recent. He’s more relevant.

That this news came with Sidney Crosby, the best player in the world, struggling with post-concussion syndrome only intensified the glare of the spotlight.

The WHL, if you haven’t noticed, isn’t a whole lot different than the NHL. Oh, the NHL’s players may be bigger, faster and more skilled, and they may get paid more, but the problems are the same.

And just like head shots and accompanying injuries are an epidemic in the NHL, they are an epidemic in the WHL.

In fact, a case can be made that concussions are more prevalent in the WHL than in the NHL.

No official numbers are available regarding the NHL, but the 30-team league has acknowledged that there have been about 80 players diagnosed with concussions this season.

The 22-team WHL’s weekly injury list, dated March 15, shows 11 players out with what are described as concussions or head injuries. That’s down from 21 the previous week. A study of this season’s 24 injury reports shows at least 97 instances in which a player has been shown as being out with a concussion or head injury. Eight players have twice been so injured, while one player appears to have had three head injuries.

The count also includes at least three players whose concussions have been season-ending.

And now the mother of a WHL player is wondering when enough is enough.

An email from her contains the subject line: Who killed Davey Moore?

———
Davey Moore, an American featherweight boxer, died of inoperable brain damage on March 25, 1963, four days after losing a bout at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Shortly after, Bob Dylan penned the ballad Who Killed Davey Moore?

“Who killed Davey Moore?
Why an’ what’s the reason for?”

During the course of the song, the referee, the angry crowd, Moore’s manager, the gambling man, the boxing writer and Moore’s opponent all deny complicity in the boxer’s death.

———
“I am the mother of a WHL player and I feel sick watching our children inflicting and receiving potentially life altering injuries and saying nothing,” she wrote.

This being hockey, of course, she asked for anonymity “in order not to damage my child’s chances.”

The email and subsequent communications reveal a woman who is heartbroken at what she is witnessing as hockey becomes more and more violent, although not in the bench-clearing ways of days of yore.

No, her son hasn’t suffered a concussion or head injury this season. But she has seen enough, just the same.

“The players work so hard to get to the WHL that we as parents are loathe to get in the way of their success,” she wrote. “So we stand by and watch a 19-year-old have a seizure on the ice in the name of entertainment for the crowd.

“Then a 16-year-old is being punched by a 19-year-old and the crowd is delighted.

“We all know this is not right. How can we as parents send our kids into this and not object to the failure of this league to adequately protect them? Nobody is protecting our children. These are not consenting adults with million dollar contracts and a players association.”

In Kamloops this season, we have watched as two players had their seasons ended by especially violent physical encounters.

First, on Dec. 10, Kamloops right-winger Jordan DePape drilled Swift Current forward Killian Hutt with a blind-side hit that drew a five-game suspension. Hutt went into convulsions, left the ice on a stretcher and spent a night in hospital. He was left with a severe concussion and, although he has skated, isn’t symptom free and won’t play again this season.

Then, on Feb. 4, Blazers defenceman Austin Madaisky was spun around and checked into the boards by Chilliwack Bruins defenceman Brandon Manning. Madaisky escaped a concussion but was left with a non-displaced fracture of the seventh cervicular vertebrae. Manning served a seven-game suspension; Madaisky continues to wear an Aspen collar and will for another couple of weeks. If the injury continues to heal properly, he will avoid surgery and will be back on the ice over the summer.

“When there is a spinal injury people will say, ‘That's hockey,’ ” the mother wrote. “But that's not true. These are preventable injuries and we are not even trying to prevent them; in fact, the WHL profits off them by catering to the bizarre tastes of some people in the crowd.

“This is not acceptable. These are our children. We are all responsible to them — parents, reporters, coaches, etc.

“They trust us and we betray that trust. When the consequences of those concussions hit home there will be no cheering crowds.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hockey Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier gets cornered

By Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix March 17, 2011

As a regular feature, StarPhoenix reporter Cory Wolfe gets personal with a sports figure. Today, Hockey Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier gets cornered. Trottier won the Stanley Cup seven times — four with the Islanders, two with Pittsburgh, and one as an assistant coach with Colorado.

The SP: Saskatoon Blades coach Lorne Molleken, who was your junior teammate in Swift Current, says you used to walk around with 10-pound weights on your legs.

Trottier: As that story gets told, those weights get heavier and heavier. (Laughs) I had a cousin, Pat Trottier, who was a basketball player and he handed the weights over to me. They were five-pound weights. He said, “If you jog in these or run with these, your skates will feel a little lighter.”

The SP: You played 18 NHL seasons, but rewind to the beginning. What was your welcome-to-the-NHL moment?

Trottier: There were so many wild moments that first year. But one thing that really stood out was being in Buffalo at the old Aud. I was in a stare-down with Jim Schoenfeld and Jerry Korab. I thought, “OK, if I back down now, I’ll be backing down for the rest of my career.” But they both kind of peeled away and I thought, “Oh, that’s not so bad.” Then I turned around and (Islanders teammate) Clark GIllies was looking over my shoulder. I was like, “Thank you, God!” That was my big brother moment.

The SP: You’ve said that the first time you laid hands on the Stanley Cup, your “sense of touch was magnified.”

Trottier: It wasn’t only the sense of touch; it was all of your senses. Your eyesight wanted to take in the moment. And your sense of smell . . . you know how awful the jerseys and the equipment smell in the locker-room after? You’d never noticed it before. And there’s the taste of drinking champagne out of the Cup. But feeling the Cup for the first time, you feel the names and you feel the coolness of the Cup to the touch . . . and the weight. I didn’t realize it weighed that much. I thought it was tinny, but it weighs about 40 pounds.

The SP: Who was the most under-rated member of the New York Islanders’ dynasty that won four Cups in the 1980s?

Trottier: Probably (defenceman) Gordie Lane. He played on the edge and he made the other team keep their heads up. He was dependable every game. You knew how he was going to play, and when he was going back for the puck, you knew which way he was going with it. He’d look to the wall or look to the middle and we better be there or he let us hear it. He made us accountable and we liked that.

The SP: You played for some legendary coaches including Al Arbour, “Badger” Bob Johnson and Scotty Bowman. Describe a memorable pep talk from one of those guys.

Trottier: Bob Johnson was pretty much like (former Philadelphia Flyers coach) Freddie Shero, (who said,) “Win today and we walk together forever.” I remember that in Minnesota vividly (during the 1991 Cup run with Pittsburgh). Al Arbour would say, “Guys, we’re not playing for the whole world; we’re playing for ourselves.” Al always reminded us, “Hey, there’s lots of things going on in the world today, but we’ll block them out. The roof could cave in here today and we’re to stick to our game plan.”

The SP: You played against Wayne Gretzky in his prime and with Mario Lemieux during his. Which guy would you most like to build a team around?

Trottier: That is a great question. Geez, I tell ya, if you want someone who is going to beat you one-on-one, grab Mario. If you want someone who is going to control the puck and has great vision, Gretzky. Both of them had so many dimensions to their games. . . . Probably a better guy to ask would be Paul Coffey.

The SP: Yes, because he played with both of them.

Trottier: And one is a right-hander and one is a left-hander, so that’ll make Paul really stutter on that one.

The SP: You gained a reputation as one of the best all-around players in NHL history. What drove your attention to defensive detail?

Trottier: That’s my Saskatchewan roots, I think. I played defence, too, so I was always cognizant of the goalie. And my dad (Buzz) was always one of those guys who said, “If you’re playing forward, you have to backcheck for the goalie.” It was a constant mantra. And I think it’s just Saskatchewan folks. They’re really blue-collar and have that farming mentality. They appreciate hustle and good, hard work.

The SP: Final question. You scored 595 NHL goals, playoffs included. Pick one that stands out above all others.

Trottier: Probably the first one. It was against Rogie Vachon (of the Los Angeles Kings). That’s what you dream about, scoring your first NHL goal. But the five-second goal in Boston was really cool. No. 500 was really cool. There’s five-goal games against the Rangers and Philadelphia. And the year I scored 50 was really cool. . . . There were a lot of great goals, but the first one is probably a little sweeter than the rest.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Mark Recchi is the Marathon man

JAMES MIRTLE
TORONTO— From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 18, 2011

There will be a record chase taking place on Saturday at the Air Canada Centre as the Toronto Maple Leafs play host to the Boston Bruins, although the man at the centre of the pursuit isn’t certain where he is or what number he’s headed for.

All Mark Recchi knows is that the more games he plays, the more text messages he gets from friends around the league with kudos for hitting yet another milestone.

The 43-year-old Bruin winger’s latest feat was moving into fifth in NHL games played, passing Dave Andreychuk on Tuesday with his 1,640 regular-season game.

His phone started buzzing soon after he got off the ice.

“My buddies text me all the time, ‘you’re about to catch this guy, in this or goals or whatever,’” Recchi said. “I have no idea. But friends keep me in the loop.

“My Dad actually told me last night how many it is to pass Chelios.”

Chelios being Chris Chelios, the grizzled defenceman who finally retired last summer at age 48, setting several longevity records of his own along the way.

Saturday’s game will leave Recchi only nine games back of Chelios’s games-played mark, one he will pass by the end of the season, barring injury.

And while he won’t say it outright, Recchi appears to have every intention of continuing to play beyond this season, perhaps even long enough to challenge Hall of Famer Gordie Howe’s NHL record of 1,767 games played.

Not bad for a fourth-round pick many felt was too small to play in the NHL when he was drafted – at age 20 – by the Pittsburgh Penguins 23 years ago.

“It’s been great,” Recchi said. “More than I could ever imagine, really.”

Recchi’s teammates, past and present, all marvel that he’s going strong, still rarely missing a game – his last long-term injury was in 2000 – and playing 16 minutes a night with one of the better teams in the league.

“Before I played with him, you always knew he was one of the great players, but you thought he was getting a little old,” said Tampa Bay Lightning star Steven Stamkos.

“Then you play with him and see how hard he works and how much he loves the game. He’s still going 100 miles an hour out there, still competing and he’s still got that fiery edge that he’s always had. That’s what’s keeping him young and why he’s playing so well.”

Hearing Recchi’s name, Stamkos’s teammate Ryan Malone’s face lit up, and he started to tell his own story of idolizing The Wrecking Ball growing up in Pittsburgh.

“I used his sticks growing up, when I was 13, 14 and they were winning the Cups,” Malone said. “Then I got a chance to play with him, really got to see what a great hockey player he is and what a great person.”

With 575 goals, 954 assists and 1,529 points – 19th, 13th and 13th in league history – Recchi is approaching more than just games played milestones. He passed Mike Bossy’s goals mark last month and sits two points behind Paul Coffey for 12th in career scoring.

While Recchi’s contract is up at the end of the season and no talks have yet been held with the Bruins, he has emerged as a mentor to rookie Tyler Seguin – just as he did with Stamkos and Jordan Staal in previous stops – and clearly enjoys that role.

Feeling old, meanwhile, hasn’t been a problem.

“I don’t really feel any different,” Recchi said. “I act like I’m 25.”

(He gives away his age in a recent profile in Sports Illustrated, however: “All these guys play Nintendos, Facebooks and Twitters,” he said of his younger teammates. “I have no idea and I don’t plan on having any idea.”)

As for what’s next, Recchi isn’t telling, other than to reveal that he would be willing to play a third- or fourth-line role down the line, as long as he feels part of a team’s success.

With only 125 games for him to catch Howe, several of Recchi’s peers said this week that the career games played record would be a fitting cap to his career.

“I hope he can keep playing,” Malone said. “Just to see him, not only to last so long, but to have an impact on the game every night, to play such a big role on that team is as impressive as anything else.

“Now that he’s lasted so long and been so consistent, he should be singled out as one of the top players to play.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Females more susceptible to concussion, studies suggest

ANNE McILROY
SCIENCE REPORTER— From Saturday's Globe and Mail

When Katie Weatherston caught an edge and fell during a game of pick-up hockey two years ago, the Olympic gold medalist knew she had sustained another concussion.

Her head wasn’t right; she felt foggy and dizzy. The symptoms didn’t go away and Weatherston, a member of the team that won gold in Turin in 2006, lost her chance to make it to the Vancouver Olympics.

“I still get symptoms,” the 27-year-old says. “I’ve been in the postconcussion phase for two years.”

Evidence is mounting that women, who are more likely than men to suffer a sports-related concussion, also have more severe symptoms in the days immediately following the injury. But what about the months and years afterward?

That’s what the University of Montreal’s Dave Ellemberg and his colleagues are investigating. They say their research could point to a need for rule changes in women’s sports and lead to gender-specific protocols to determine when it’s safe for females to return to the rink or the soccer pitch.

“The current clinical assessment protocols and return to play guidelines, which are almost entirely based on research with male athletes, are not only inappropriate for women but likely place them at a greater risk of suffering multiple concussions and experiencing long-term consequences of their injuries,” Ellemberg says.

Researchers in Canada and the United States say they don’t know why women are more vulnerable to sports-related concussions, but factors may include weaker necks, subtle differences in brain chemistry, and differences in the way females are coached or train.

With almost $400,000 in funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Ellemberg’s team is tracking concussed male and female university athletes for two years or more to compare their symptoms, cognitive deficits, impairments in balance and anomalies in the electrical activity of their brains.

Concussions occur when there is a rapid acceleration or deceleration of the head. The brain moves or rotates inside the skull and different parts of it move against each other. Symptoms include headaches, confusion, amnesia and sensitivity to light or noise and can last days, weeks or months.

The National Hockey League is under intense pressure to come up with rule changes to reduce the number of concussions, also known as mild traumatic brain injuries, which have been linked to dementia later in life.

Far less attention has been paid to women athletes.

But female university athletes in the United States who play soccer, basketball, lacrosse and hockey have a higher risk of getting concussed than their male counterparts, says Tracey Covassin, a Canadian researcher at Michigan State University who began to study concussions in female athletes a decade ago. She says it is still not clear how much greater that risk is, but Ellemberg says evidence suggests that women are three times more likely than men to suffer a sports-related concussion.

In 2005, a team of American researchers reported that female high school and university athletes were almost twice as likely as men to show cognitive impairment, such as slower reaction times, following a concussion.

The studies have all been with high school and university athletes. Researchers don’t know if young girls are more likely to get concussions than boys.

There are hints in the scientific literature about brain differences between men and women that may somehow be related to concussions. Women generally take longer to emerge from a general anesthetic than men, Ellemberg says, and animal studies suggest the female brain is more fragile, at least immediately following an injury.

Ellemberg also suspects that differences in coaching and training play a role. For example, because there is no checking in women’s hockey, girls tend not to practise how to take a hit. This may mean they are less able to brace themselves if a collision can’t be avoided.

Covassin is involved in a large American study of high school and university athletes to see if females take longer to recover from a concussion than males.

There are risks associated with all sports and all kinds of physical activity, Covassin says, and no one wants girls or women to stop playing hockey, soccer or other sports. She suspects that female athletes are getting more concussions because they are stronger, faster and more aggressive than in the past. Women are also more likely to be honest about their symptoms, she says, since unlike their male counterparts, they don’t risk losing lucrative professional contracts if they are injured.

But they do risk losing their shot at athletic glory.

Weatherston, who runs a hockey school for girls in the Ottawa area, had her first concussion in 2006 when she was cross-checked from behind during a practice and went into the boards head first. She couldn’t play for three months.

Then, in December of 2008, came the minor fall that jarred her brain and killed her dream of Olympic gold in Vancouver.

“It was devastating not to play,” she says.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Darcy Regier’s goal is to eliminate concussions in hockey

ROY MacGREGOR
BOCA RATON, FLA.— From Saturday's Globe and Mail

They call him Rain Man.

The reference is to the 1988 Dustin Hoffman-Tom Cruise movie and the character Raymond, who could tell you how much snow fell on a January day 20 years ago or could recite the telephone number of a person he just met, all thanks to studying the telephone book each night.

The tag comes courtesy of National Hockey League senior vice-president Colin Campbell. The 29 other league general managers think it’s funny, and Darcy Regier, general manager of the Buffalo Sabres since 1997, doesn’t mind at all.

When it comes to concussion talk, Regier is hockey’s equivalent of Raymond, who liked to dare people to drop a box of matches on the floor so he could instantly calculate how many spilled.

“I don’t have an accounting background,” the 54-year-old former defenceman says on a sunny day as the NHL wrapped up three days of talks on the head injuries that have plagued the league this winter. “But if I’m trying to figure something out and I don’t have a context for it, I usually end up gravitating toward numbers.”

The NHL is closing in on 100 concussions this year, almost all of them caused by the collision of two players.

“We average probably 45 hits in an NHL game,” Regier calculates as he talks. “And there’s 1,230 games in a season, so that makes up somewhere in the range of 50,000 hits.”

Regier is the NHL’s leading dove, one of three general managers who speak openly of banning all hits to the head (the others are the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Ray Shero and Carolina Hurricanes’ Jim Rutherford). Regier is also one of a larger group who argued, successfully, for the steps taken so far: last year’s Rule 48, which banned blindside hits, and this year’s decision to have a doctor rather than a trainer determine the seriousness of a hit to the head. They also led the push for this week’s decision to begin calling more boarding and charging penalties next season.

“For me,” Regier says, “the goal is to eliminate concussions. I could say, ‘Reduce those 100 to 20, or to 10,’ but the goal should be to eliminate entirely. I think ultimately we have to take a 360 approach [full protection from all sides] to protect the head.

“So, in a perfect world, I would like to be able to go in and just pull out those 100 concussions from the 50,000 hits and say, ‘Okay, now we’re at 49,900 hits and we haven’t changed the game. You’re missing 100 hits and we have eliminated all the concussions, and we didn’t hurt the game.’”

He knows, however, that this is dreaming.

“It’s not practical,” Regier says. “It’s not possible.”

There will always be accidental injuries. Players run into their own teammates. Players fall and strike their heads on the ice. Fighting remains a part of the game despite arguments in favour of banning it.

“That probably means we’re not getting to zero,” Regier says. But that is not to say that the goal of elimination is lost.

“The question is, to what extent can we manage it?” he says. “By this I mean where are most of these hits happening? Where on the ice? Is it close to the boards? Is it a result of charging? Is it a result of the [back-of-the-net] trapezoid, meaning that the goalies don’t come out to play pucks any more? Is it a result of having taken the centre line out?”

He saw, as lately all have noted, how the game changed after new rules were implemented following the 2004-05 lockout. By calling obstruction, the game sped up, which led to more violent collisions, which led to more concussions.

“I’ve been around long enough,” Regier says, “to know that if we don’t do the work and the studying, when we make changes, you might get lucky enough to hit that which you’ve tried to change – you might. But you can be guaranteed that there will be a lot of side effects, or unintended, unexpected consequences. So, for me it becomes really important that someone has to do a lot of work.”

Regier’s passion for studying cause and effect comes from personal experience. The native of Swift Current, Sask., suffered his first concussion as a junior playing for Prince Albert when he lost a fight in Regina and found himself sitting in the penalty box without the slightest notion of where he was. The coach sent Regier and backup goaltender Roland Boutin to the dressing room, where Boutin kept asking Regier where he was and Regier couldn’t answer. “I can remember sitting there guessing,” Regier says. “I was certainly conscious, but I had no idea where I was. And Rollie thought that was the funniest thing. He would repeat the question, ‘Do you know where you are?’ and I kept guessing. They had a lot of fun with it.

“Next day I was back at practice.”

That, of course, was standard treatment for concussion in those days: laugh it off, shake it off.

Regier turned professional and bounced around the minor leagues for years as part of the New York Islanders’ organization when the Islanders were a dynasty. He appeared in a handful of NHL games. When he joined management – first with the Islanders and, in 1997, becoming general manager of the Sabres – he had first-hand experiences with two of the game’s best-known concussion situations. First was with the Islanders, when Brett Lindros, younger brother of Eric, was forced to retire at 20 after a series of concussions.

“It was scary,” Regier says.

In the second instance, he traded Pat LaFontaine to the New York Rangers from Buffalo when the Sabres’ medical staff recommended that the star player should call it a career after so many concussions and LaFontaine believed he could still play. He went to New York but soon was forced to call it quits.

The concussion that really brought it all home for Regier, however, had nothing to do with professional hockey, but was a blow that passed by all but unnoticed in pee wee hockey. Regier’s son Jarrett was excelling in both tennis and hockey until, seven years ago, it all changed.

“He was very competitive,” Regier says of his third and youngest child. “And one day I noticed he wasn’t competing. He was small and ended up playing against bigger kids. His response when I was trying to understand why he had lost his competitiveness was ‘Dad, I don’t ever want to feel like that again.’ It was a concussion he was dealing with.

“As a parent you immediately move to ‘Wait a minute, is this worth it?’ In his case, hockey was his secondary sport, not his primary sport. His primary sport was tennis. At that point I started really to try to understand how badly he wanted to play hockey, because in my own mind I didn’t think it was going to be worth him dealing with that.”

Jarrett dropped out of hockey and is, today at 18, a promising young tennis player. Since that moment, Regier has tried to read everything he can on concussions and their aftermath.

“I had no idea of the magnitude,” he says.

He also believes that the hockey world, in particular the NHL, has no true sense of the overall effect of increased concussion awareness and the tsunami of public opinion that has risen up in recent weeks.

“We’re in a world now where people are voicing their opinions,” he says. “People recognize that they have a voice and they’re taking the responsibility for that voice. It might not all be rational, it might not all be objective, but the one-person one-vote thing has become a lot more real than it used to be.

“So I wonder what that means for things like our sport? Does it more strongly connect our society with our sport, and our responsibility back to it, however that might be interpreted?”

While he did not get what he had hoped for in this week’s meetings, he remains convinced that at some point the NHL will move to penalize all hits to the head, accidental or not.

“I’ve seen a shift in general managers over the years,” he says, “which I think is to try to understand more, to be more collaborative in nature, to be less confrontational and not to take a stand on a line in the sand.”

In discussions with hockey people at the junior ranks, he says there is a growing sense that this ever-flowing mass of information and opinion is having an impact. Parents are telling the traditionally physical junior hockey world that, “If you’re not going to look after the well-being of the players, their fathers, and probably to a greater extent their mothers, are going to have them go and play in an equally competitive and safer environment.” It could mean college hockey, it could mean another sport.

Regier says he and many other NHL leaders are acutely aware of their responsibility to the game as awareness concerning head injuries grows and public opinion shifts. It affects his everyday job.

“It’s a huge deal,” he says. “It is very big and it impacts a lot of areas. And that’s why it’s critical that we spend a lot of time on it and pay a lot of attention to it. And get it right.

“We need to get the concussion right and get the care right and get the player back playing.

“First of all, though, there should be no concussion if it can be prevented.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Mosston developed a spectrum of learning styles from the command to self directed learner.
http://physicaleducationresources.com/teachingstylesmosstonpe.aspx is a link that tells about the styles.

A concise summary of the spectrum is at.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/21697219/Mosstons-Spectrum-Of-Teaching-Styles

Mosston's Spectrum of Teaching Styles in Physical Education

The Spectrum offers a range of options to teachers that can accommodate students' diverse learning
styles and meet the learning intentions of a teaching session more accurately. The table below shows the range
of styles in the Spectrum and illustrates one of its key aspects: Matching the appropriate teaching style to the
learning intentions (outcomes) of a lesson.

Command - Teacher makes all decisions

Practice - Students carry out teacher-prescribed tasks

Reciprocal - Students work in pairs: one performs, the other provides
feedback

Self-check - Students assess their own performance against criteria

Inclusion - Teacher planned. Student monitors own work.

Guided Discovery - Students solve teacher set movement problems with
assistance

Divergent - Students solve problems without assistance from the teacher

Individual - Teacher determines content. Student plans the program.

Learner Initiated - Student plans own program. Teacher is advisor.

Self Teaching - Student takes full responsibility for the learning process.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Thanks for posting the Mosston Spectrum. I have read about it before, but it is a good one to put on here. Hopefully coaches can see where they are at and try to "move to a lower level" - away from COMMAND!

So coaches, when you played, where would you put your coaches' style on this scale? How much of an influence does that have on your style?

For me, I had terrible coaches in midget and junior; they were all Command style (but with limited knowledge, poor communication skills, demonstrating favoritism (thereby losing my respect), and poor role models.) So in hindsight, it was actually good for me to endure this. Although this killed my love to play the game, it made me more determined to 'be a better coach than those dummies I played for' and I started to embrace different styles. Today I flex between styles that are appropriate for the situation and level. I do try to move my players toward becoming independent thinkers... so that is towards the DIVERGENT part of the scale.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Concussions - WHL tops NHL in head trauma stakes

ALLAN MAKI
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Mar. 21, 2011

Dave Adolph was there the night his son Max was obliterated.

It happened in Portland, Ore., where Max’s Kelowna Rockets were playing the Winterhawks in a Western Hockey League game late last October. Adolph had the puck down low and was trying to protect it when all of a sudden he was rocked high and hard by an opposing player.

At that moment, both father and son were changed. Max Adolph has struggled with post-concussion syndrome all season, and Dave Adolph, a hockey coach by profession, has wrestled with his emotions while trying to help his son.

“It’s terrible,” Dave Adolph said. “He feels useless, worthless. As a parent, you offer support, but it’s frustrating because that’s all you can do. I don’t know how to comfort him.”

For two decades, Adolph has coached the University of Saskatchewan men’s hockey team. Before that, he played for the Huskies and captained their 1983 national championship-winning team. He knows the game, studies it and has followed the recent rash of head injuries, not just because they’re in the news, but because it’s hit home.

His 18-year-old son Max has played just over 30 games this WHL season. The league’s weekly reports show he was out with a head injury on Nov. 2, 2010. He returned to action Dec. 7 but was out again with a head injury on Jan. 11, 2011. He returned Feb. 8, then was sidelined yet again, this time for good, on Feb. 22.

Overall this season, WHL players suffered more concussions and head injuries than their celebrated counterparts in the National Hockey League. By the NHL’s own tally, there have been 80 incidents of players hurt by a shot to the head. According to the WHL’s updates for its 22 teams, there were at least 97 cases of concussions and head-related injuries.

WHL commissioner Ron Robison acknowledged that count, tabulated by the Kamloops Daily News, and agreed: “The number of concussions has risen at an alarming rate.”

Why, though, is the crux of the matter.

Robison sees it as many hockey people do: a batch of ingredients creating a dangerous mix; bigger, stronger players moving on an ice surface that hasn’t gotten any larger. Add to that the clampdown on hooking and holding that has allowed for more speed and more hits. Add, too, a generation of young players cursed by the advent of lighter yet more dangerous equipment. They feel invincible until that same piece of equipment on an opposing player hammers them into submission.

“More than half of the concussions occur next to the glass,” Robison said. “When we discuss it with the coaches and managers, it’s largely players who are positioned along the boards. Maybe we have to look at charging and the way the rules are called.”

The father believes his son’s recurring problems are related to the hit he took in Portland.

“He was in the corner, doing what he does, trying to cycle the puck,” Adolph recalled. “He exposed his head and he got ripped. [This past Saturday] he felt nauseous. He told the Kelowna trainer and that put him on another seven-day rest period. He’s worried if the coach thinks he’s not tough enough. That’s what kids do. As a parent, I’m thankful he’s not playing.”

Adolph’s twin vantage points as a father and coach have altered his way of thinking. He admitted his son’s plight affected the way he acted this past Canadian Interuniversity Sport season. For starters, he paid more attention to what the trainer was saying about the Huskies’ injured players. He also found himself “reaching out to those kids, 24/7. Those were things I never thought of before.”

Adolph has done his share of thinking over what’s happening in hockey. He wonders why modifications haven’t been made to deaden the dangerously hard-shell elbow pads and shoulder pads, something that’s been talked about for close to 10 years. He wonders why so many young hockey players go into the corners with their arms down, their heads exposed, face-first to the glass.

He wonders, too, why every hit now has to be so punishing, as if the intent is to hurt the opponent, especially if he’s in a vulnerable position.

“There’s no more angling [off a puck carrier], especially in junior hockey,” Adolph said. “They’re trying to put someone out of the game. Before, kids would get their sticks up [as protection] and you’d see more high-sticking penalties. Now you see them get crushed and their heads ricochet off the glass.”

Max Adolph recently returned home to Saskatoon to spend time with his parents. They wanted to see how he was doing, how he responded to their prompts. It was a chance for the hockey-coach dad to talk to his son and say the only thing he could.

“I saw him the time he was hit in Portland, that was not good. But at home, he was bright and positive. I wanted to reassure him there’s more to life and that he’ll find something he enjoys doing [beyond hockey]. We wanted to make sure he knows that.”

-----

I coached against Dave at the CIS level - he is a great person - and now that I am also a dad, this article really hit home. With all of the issues surrounding hockey (a lack of respect, head hits / concussions, bullying, abuse, etc.), these really make me think about how I can make the game better? I know I sure try hard to educate kids and show them the 'right' way to play the game (with respect, humility, discipline - learn the principles and techniques behind the game.) I know there are common problems across all sports and some sports have particular problems attached to them... but I still find myself sometimes asking, "Do I want my kids to play hockey or would they be better off doing something else?" Time will tell...
-----------------------------------------------
Dean kid's and adults can get hurt doing anything. In the last week alone my wife slipped on the ice and went flying walking behind her car. She got a minor concussion and lots of bruises. Last night my youngest daughter was a passenger and a car that turned right into them on a slippery road and she is going to get checked for a concussion today. Life is dangerous and risky.

We all have to keep working to make the things we all do safer. Keep trying to influence the hockey world to call the penalties in the rule book. Work towards the culture of hockey being safer. Good technique and positive attitudes about others go a long way to making the game safe.

There is self protection as well. This morning one of my kid's caught an edge and fell backwards. He allowed the back of his head to hit the ice. Yesterday in my men's hockey 2 players did the same thing but kept their heads up and protected themselves. It is a combination of a lot of things. When hockey is played within the rules it is a very safe sport. We all have to work on making sure that sportsmanship drives the culture of the game.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

THN.com Blog: Max Domi situation highlights issues surrounding freedom of young Canadian players

Ken Campbell 2011-03-21

Is Tie Domi’s recent announcement that his talented son, Max, intends to pursue the college hockey route in the United States a genuine intention or an attempt to have him drafted by the Ontario League team of his choice? With the OHL Cup – which is basically the all-Ontario minor midget championship – on the horizon this week, we’ll likely find out soon. But either way, kudos for Domi and his son for doing it.

As reported by Steve Simmons in The Toronto Sun on Sunday, Domi announced his 15-year-old son Max would eschew the OHL in order to play U.S. college hockey and next season he will bide his time in the United States League while he fast-tracks his way through high school in time to be eligible to play college hockey in 2012-13. Aside from being a very talented player, Max Domi is an outstanding student and should have his high school diploma in one year.

But that’s where this all gets very, very murky. First of all, Domi would not be the first player in history to tell all OHL teams he has chosen the college route. Hundreds of players over the years have told the OHL to stay away from them, which, in some cases, is basically code for telling the OHL they want to choose where they play.

And why not? If you’re a talented teenager and OHL owners are going to make money off your back, why not dictate the terms of your sentence? These kids ride buses all over the province, sometimes miss school and get paid less than minimum wage, so why would a talented player with options not use his leverage to his own benefit?

Secondly, Hockey Canada and USA Hockey have an agreement that borders on the obscene when it comes to restricting the rights of young people. Fearful it will lose its best prospects to college hockey, the Canadian League has convinced Hockey Canada to prohibit any 16-year-old Canadian player, in conjunction with USA Hockey, from playing in the USHL unless they appeal to the National Appeals Committee and demonstrate "special circumstances" or move there with a parent. What makes it so obscene is the CHL opens its arms to American-born 16-year-olds and has no problem with doing it, but insists on making it a one-way street.

Sure, it saves the best young players for the Canadian junior system and keeps them away from the clutches of the U.S. college system, largely because the CHL has access to the players at an age when American universities aren’t even allowed to contact them. But where exactly are the best interests of the player being served here? Anyone?

But Domi can, and likely will, get around this rule. The only other way a Canadian player can play in the USHL as a 16-year-old without appealing is for him to take up residence in the United States, either moving there with a parent or by residing with someone who is willing to assume guardianship of him.

Either should be doable for the Domi family. Either he or Max’s mother, Leanne, could move to a USHL city for a year and rent an apartment. That’s precisely what former NHLer Dave Gagner did so his son, current Edmonton Oiler center Sam, could play for the Sioux City Musketeers in 2005-06. Gagner moved his entire business to Minnesota and took up residence so Sam could play in the USHL legally. And if Domi needed to legitimize his move by finding employment in the U.S., there’s little doubt his good friend, Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux, would be able to oblige.

Then again, as we said earlier, all this might simply be posturing to have Domi land in a favorable situation, such as, say, the Kitchener Rangers. There is absolutely no doubt that despite the warning not to take him, an OHL team will draft Max Domi. One might even draft him in the first round, since the OHL now has a little-known rule that stipulates if your first round pick does not report, you get another choice immediately after your first round pick in the following year’s draft.

It all seems rather insidious, doesn’t it? A teenager should have the right to play where he wants.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 5 of 45