1339 posts :: Page 9 of 45
By: Likes:

A Canucks sixth sense?

ROY MacGREGOR / Vancouver— From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, May. 31, 2011

It has become the great debate of the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Not the Vancouver Canucks or Boston Bruins – that will eventually be decided on the scoreboard – but whether or not the Sedin twins of Vancouver are psychic?

Daniel and Henrik Sedin look so alike it took coach Alain Vigneault years before he could tell them apart. They speak so identically that they will sometimes say “we” even when one is talking alone. On the ice, they are distinguished by numbers, 22 for Daniel, 33 for Henrik, and by an astonishing ability to find each other when making passes, many of them blind, while moving the puck around in the opposition end.

So remarkable is this ability that the man who brought them to the NHL 11 years ago believes they “absolutely” possess a second sight, a sixth sense, a built-in communication system that gives them – Henrik the NHL's scoring champion last year, six minutes younger Daniel this year's scoring champion – an advantage never before known in the game.

“I've seen guys who had chemistry,” says Brian Burke, general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs but GM of Vancouver in 1999, when the Swedish twins were drafted. “But I've never seen anything like this – it's like they have radar.”

The twins themselves are not convinced, though Henrik, the team captain, did concede this week that, “Sometimes, even ourselves, we can maybe think that something strange is going on.”

Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, a fellow Swede and a linemate of the twins during the 2010 Olympics, says he has experienced what happens with them on the ice enough to believe that their story is all about skill and familiarity, not telepathy.

“It's not more than two super-skilled persons who can read the play,” Alfredsson says. “It's more just being used to each other. They've played together so long. They know each other perfectly.

“But they can sure make it look like there's something telepathic going on.”

“People say we have that on the ice,” says Daniel, who also does not believe in telepathy. “We have the thing we have because we've played together for so long. It has nothing to do with anything else.”

“There are always reasons why those things happen,” Henrik adds.

Alfredsson agrees and says that such seemingly magical connection is not unusual among elite athletes playing on a team. He felt it himself when, for a couple of seasons, he and Jason Spezza and Dany Heatley were the game's most formidable scoring line.

“It just happens,” he says. “You don't even have to think. You just know where the other will be. The twins take this to another level.”

“They communicate like dolphins,” says the twins' current linemate Alex Burrows. “The way they move the puck, they have that sixth sense.”

They do so because they are supremely skilled athletes – both were given the opportunity to move 800 kilometres south of their northern Sweden hometown of Ornskoldsvik to join an elite soccer school, but declined in favour of sticking with hockey – and because they have always played together, always on the same line. Among elite hockey players, there is simply no comparison when it comes to longevity and compatibility. Henrik, the elder, has always been the centre, the one most likely to make the pass; Daniel has been the shooter. Henrik has always been the team leader, Daniel content to let his older brother serve as captain of the various teams they were on. Henrik talks slightly more, but only slightly. They have the same accent, inflections and exactly the same dry humour. In separate interviews held only steps away from each other this week, they at one point cracked the same joke about winning a team scrimmage.

At age 30, the twins are clearly in their prime. They have their back-to-back scoring championships and, if Daniel is named winner on June 22 of the three finalists nominated as the league's most valuable player, they will have back-to-back Hart Trophies, as well. This week they were named recipients of Crown Princess Victoria Prize, awarded annually to Sweden's best athlete.

It usually goes to single recipient – but even in Sweden they do not separate the Sedin twins.

No brothers have ever won consecutive scoring championships in the league's 94-year-history. Brothers, however, are far from novel in professional hockey. Even the Hall of Fame greats – Maurice (Rocket) Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky – all had brothers play with variable success in the NHL. The six Sutter brothers of Viking, Alta., all made it, including Ron and Rich, the first twins to play in the league. There have been five sets of twins since.

But identical twins – the product of a single egg, as opposed to the more common fraternal twins, which come from two eggs – are different still. It has only happened twice in the NHL, and in the case of the Lundqvist twins, Henrik and Joel, they not only did not play together but played different positions, Henrik goal for the New York Rangers while Joel, who now plays back in Sweden, was briefly a forward with the Dallas Stars.

Only the identical Sedins can claim to have played the same position, forward, and on the same line. They have never been separated. Not in sports, not in school. Their father is a school principal and the parents, Tommy and Tora Sedin, placed high value on education, although they allowed the boys to complete their high school studies in four years rather than three to allow more time for hockey. “We considered it very important for Henrik and Daniel to finish their studies,” says their mother. “We talked about it at home. Who knows what would have happened with the hockey? There was no guarantee for success. Anything could have happened.”

Anything could happen in the Cup final, too, but that won't stop Tora from watching her boys compete for their first NHL championship, despite her stated affinity for the “more pleasant” sport of soccer.

“The games are played nighttime here in Sweden, but … well, it's really exciting now,” she says. “So I guess I'll sit up and watch. And if everything goes in the right direction, we will come over for the fifth game.”

Success did happen, and quickly. By 16 they were playing at the highest level – so involved with hockey that the parents let them complete high school in four years rather than three – and the play of the identical twins of Ornskoldsvik was being noted.

Twins are always a curiosity – and have been since the days of Greek and Norse gods, since the Old Testament, since Romulus and Remus founded Rome – but identical twins far more so in that there is large belief that they have their own special communication skills, as do certain birds and animals.

Such a possibility has always intrigued science – and fascinated false science. Experiments conducted on television have included separating young identical twins so one is in a room subject to various stimuli – hand plunged into cold water, frightened by a rubber snake – while the other is hooked up to a lie-detector machine in another room to record emotion. In those experiments, a telepathic connection was claimed. It was also quickly dismissed as pseudo science.

Writing in Psychology Today in 2009, British author Digby Tantam, who is both a psychiatrist and psychologist, claimed that legitimate parapsychologists “have been unable to duplicate these results in the laboratory.” Identical twins Randy and Jason Sklar said that they were involved in a clinical university study on telepathy when they were 14, Randy drawing shapes in one room while Jason was attempting to copy them in another. “I was so far off,” Jason Sklar told the magazine, “they ended up stopping the study.”

What, then, explains the blind passes of Henrik Sedin to Daniel, the innate ability of Daniel to place himself in a spot where he will have a clear shot at goal if only he is given the puck? The twins say familiarity. Brian Burke jokes that they have the mentalist skills of “The Amazing Kreskin,” who used to do mind-reading on a popular television show of the 1970s. There are many – several of them NHL teammates and opponents of the twins – who would agree with Burke.

They were still children playing in Ornskoldsvik when they were noticed by Thomas Gradin, a former NHL player then working as a scout for the Canucks. He believed they had an ability to “read” each other that was not understandable but also undeniable. On Gradin's urging, Burke travelled to the world championship in Oslo, Norway, to see for himself. He came back a believer, “We decided we were going to move heaven and earth to get them together.”

At the 1999 NHL entry draft, Burke completed a complicated series of trades with three teams that ensured Vancouver would have the second and third pick, having been assured that the team picking first overall, the Atlanta Thrashers, had settled on another choice. He called both Sedins to the podium at the same time, holding out jerseys with No. 22 (D. Sedin) and No. 33 (H. Sedin) in the hopes that each would take the jersey intended.

Like everyone else, Burke could not tell the two apart. At times in the past, the twins have fooled the media, even doing interviews as their brother. They seem so much the same, yet have lived fairly separate lives in Vancouver – Henrik with wife Johanna and two sons in Yaletown, Daniel with wife Marinette and two girls and a boy in Shaughnessy.

They blossomed slowly, really only coming into their prime over the past three seasons. Burke says former coach Marc Crawford deserves credit for getting them to the level they are now at. Alfredsson says that, as with many European players, it took them years to adjust their talents to the smaller North American ice surface. The Sedins play what is called a “cycle” game – working pucks out from the corner boards by circling and dropping passes to each other and their linemate until an opening presents itself.

“It's harder to do on the North America ice surface where there's just not as much room,” Alfredsson says. “Obviously, you have to do it a lot quicker. And they're really good at that. They seem to find a way to take it to the net on a consistent basis. That's unusual. And they do it with small, little plays are so difficult to do. But they do it.”

They do it with such success that, despite earlier concerns that they were off to a slow start in these playoffs, Henrik is today the leading scorer in Stanley Cup play with two goals and 19 assists, and Daniel not far behind with eight of each.

“We thought they would be top-six players,” Burke says. “No one talked about Hart trophies or Art Ross trophies back then. It would be intellectually dishonest to pretend otherwise.”

Such success, naturally, has led to financial reward. And even when it comes to contracts, they are treated as one. When current GM Mike Gillis signed them to twin five-year, $30.5-million (U.S.) contracts two years ago, he said, “Because of their style of play, they are symbiotic and effectively inseparable. As such, we will treat them as a single entity for contract purposes, while recognizing their individual needs and attributes away from the arena.”

Henrik Sedin claims it doesn't bother them in the slightest to being regarded as one. “With those questions,” he says, “you're going to get the same answers.”

“We think pretty much the same way,” Daniel adds, “so we're going to answer the questions the same way, for both of us. It's been like this for 15 years – and it's not going to change.”

As for being regarded as “freaks of nature” if not mere curiosities, Daniel just laughs off all the talk about telepathy and psychic skills and being able to read each other's mind on the ice.

“We bring it on ourselves,” he says.

“We answer the same way … we like the same things ... and we can't really do much about it.”

With files from Matthew Sekeres in Vancouver and Janne Bengtsson in Sweden.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Found this one this morning. Surprising stance from a former tough guy. Any thoughts?

Changing The Checking Age Does Not Soften Our Sport
By:
Mike Milbury

I don’t want to be confused with somebody who has gone “wimpish” on the sport of hockey. I think we’ve had a lot of “soccer mom” mentality creeping into our game, and I know much of it is based in a very real concern for concussions and other types of injuries. With that said, I don’t want to take it too far.

I was honored to join USA Hockey’s subcommittee on body checking and feel that I have a broad background that allows me to bring something to the table on this important topic.

The subcommittee consisted of some very educated individuals who care deeply about the game. Nobody was getting paid or had a hidden agenda. Some were adamantly opposed to changing the rules on checking and others were fully supportive of the change. That was the starting point for the dialogue that followed.

Information was presented from many different points of view. Some focused on the competitive and skill development side while others came at it from a physiological perspective. As a parent, I listened with great interest as Dr. Michael Stuart presented information that indicated that kids under the age of 11 or even 12 were more susceptible to concussions, and also that the impact of those concussions could last for extended periods of time.

Clearly, kids at that age are not developed physically enough to enter into this kind of contact without real jeopardy to their health. That was a no brainer to begin with, but it was more than that.

The majority of us who sat on the subcommittee are not doctors and are not in a position to discuss the physiological impact checking has on the game. But it was up to us to talk about how it impacted the skill development of our young players at such a pivotal point in their lives.

As much as I love the rough nature of the game, you have to learn how to play the game first. Common sense would dictate that if you can’t skate, you can’t play. Our biggest and most physical kids also need to have the skills to be able to play at a higher level. Let them become familiar with how to make a backhand pass and play in a two-on-one situation. This is critical in order to achieve continued success and upward movement in the game of hockey.

I have my own kids. I don’t want to see them get hurt; I want them to have a good time. I want to see body contact and body positioning, but what I really want to see is kids playing the game the right way. Our focus needs to be on developing the foundation that will serve kids for as long as they play the game. Our rush to introduce physical play at a young age closes that window of opportunity.

When we get kids at 11 and 12 years of age, some of them have vast disparities in height and weight and even degrees of passion about the sport. Some of them can become overwhelmed when it comes to the physical play. In our rush to introduce checking we run the risk of losing kids who are on the bubble and may not have developed their bodies to the point where they can effectively give and take a check.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the physical part of the game, but I believe the introduction of physical play into the game should come at a deliberate pace. It starts with teaching body contact — rubbing, bumping, edging out and gaining proper positioning on an opponent — rather than focusing on hard hits.

And when we do introduce checking, we need to teach players to check hard and check clean. No rational person or player wants to leave the rink knowing that he just broke someone’s jaw or he gave a guy a concussion that might alter his life. Nobody wants to live with that.

I dread the day when we take out the physical element of the game because we are worried about safety issues. If you’re too worried, don’t play. There’s an element of risk in a lot of things we choose to do — rock climbing, skiing, cycling — and hockey is no exception. Still, we owe it to our kids and we owe it to the game to make it as safe as possible.

Even at the youngest age levels, there will always be races for loose pucks and battles in the corner and in front of the net. Those one-on-one battles are what make hockey such a great game to play. The game will still be physical, it will still be fast and it will still be fun. It will also be safer.

This rule change proposal isn’t about checking being removed; it’s about checking being improved. And for the good of our sport, this checking model needs to be adopted when it comes up for a vote.

Mike Milbury has been involved in hockey for more than 50 years. He played collegiate hockey at Colgate University and went on to a 12-year NHL career with the Boston Bruins. After retiring as a player, Milbury went on to serve as head coach with the Bruins and New York Islanders before taking over the role as the Islanders general manager. He is currently working as a commentator for NESN, Hockey Night in Canada and NBC’s weekly hockey broadcast. He has six children and is currently an assistant coach with his son’s Peewee team. He is also a valued member of the USA Hockey Checking Subcommittee.

Thanks for this article.

Milbury has changed his public tune somewhat during this 2010-2011 season he has been on Hockey Night in Canada. He is a smart person who comes from a time where hockey players were considered Neanderthals. I suspect his change in tune has something to do with his kids (who play hockey) getting to the age of checking and now the 'dad' hat hits closer to home. I always thought Mike was different than the rest of the old-school culture and respect what he has to say. This is a good article and I continue to hope more people speak up to improve the game.

My friend Dan MacDonald emailed me earlier this week and suggested we practice 'contact confidence' weekly for at least 20 minutes / week on and / or off-ice from a younger age to get the kids more familiar with body contact - what is 'right' and what 'isn't' from both technique and ethical angles - so it isn't as big of a shock when body checking is implemented (at whatever age.) Right now in Canada, we attend a one-day coaching clinic, then that's it. Most coaches (in my experience teaching, mentoring and evaluating coaches) aren't comfortable teaching this (expecting others to teach it!) so they only give it a quick overview. Dan also calls for more regular teaching of angling, steering, influencing and playing the opponent's hands as methods to regain the puck - not just a big body check (which lately seems to be to separate the head from the man; not the man from the puck!)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I have always thought the rule in minor hockey up to U17 should be to reduce body checking from two to one stride. U20 and up back to two strides - and call charging and boarding.

There is no reason for young kid's to play full contact. If a player rubs out the puck carrier WHILE HIS STICK IS ON THE ICE AND PLAYING THE PUCK, then it is safe and also teaches proper angling. This is what the criteria should be in my humble opinion.

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Good points.

I agree that Mike Milbury has evolved a great deal over the last few seasons. I grew up watching him do stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8K7roZu3WU

Here, at the high school level, we have a huge discrepancy in size between the 14 and 18 year old players and it makes for a tough adjustment for kids coming from house league. Not everyone is out to separate the players head from their body, but some certainly are and it only takes one bad hit. Watching the world championships this year I was amazed at how much the larger ice surface changes the game even with all the big bodies out there. If you ask me that's the easiest change the NHL could make. I know it's expensive, but so is having Sidney Crosby sit on the sidelines for half the season.

Dave

Dave,

Too bad the NHL didn't act in a forward-thinking manner and require all new buildings to build 200' x 100' - then provide a certain date for compliance. When Calgary built the Saddledome for the 1988 Olympics, it had stands that move so it could be expanded to 100' across (international size.) This one change would help accommodate the size, speed and fitness levels of today's players much better than the current configuration - and perhaps reduce some of the injuries! I wonder if they will have to go to a 4 on 4 game to open it up - shrink the rosters (to the howls of protest of the NHLPA and purist fans)?

Re: Milbury - I believe it was in Vancouver when Mike climbed into the stands and beat a guy with his own shoe. I think this link is vs. the Rangers? Old-time hockey...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dean - The 4 v 4 situation would be a tough sell, but I think you are right....much more affordable than renovating all the new arenas out there. It would also address the possibility that the 30 team league is too watered down, though I'm not sure I am sold on this idea.

Couldn't the league could allow the big sheets to be phased in as new buildings go up? I would think it would be a big advantage to teams that have the Olympic size sheet for the majority of their games, like the advantage Detroit has knowing how to use the fast boards at Joe Louis. I'm sure it would reduce injuries significantly for the teams as well playing at minimum of half their games (and some practices) on the big ice.

Re Milbury: I don't remember the Vancouver incident, but I remember watching the Rangers/MSG one in shock as a kid. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's Milbury (#26) ripping the guys shoe from his foot and hitting him with it. There's a better clip here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ef1YVXM9IU

I prefer 5 vs. 5, but on the bigger ice. 4 vs. 4 for now? Shrink the rosters? Big issues...

I guess something has to start somewhere... new buildings should have to be built 200 x 100 (moveable so they can remain 200 x 85) and perhaps older buildings would need to be renovated by a certain date.

Problem with retro-fitting: it's always more work and a bigger job than if you do it right from the start. Which = more $ to build / retro and it also takes away seats (or $) from the owners and could impact sight lines, etc.

Since I am playing commissioner for the day, I would also like to see an approximately 60 game schedule with less back to back or 3 games in 4 nights, etc. as the fatigue (travel and playing) take away from the on-ice product (not to mention create injuries.) Each team would play at least one home and one away game against each team so fans can see all the teams. Then they would play within their conference / division - whatever they call it (amongst their 15-16 teams). Salaries and the cap would be pro-rated. Only two weeks of training camp. 7 days for rookies; then the next 7 days are for the pros (and some rookies who 'make the cut' - the other rookies get assigned to their affiliate teams.) Play in tournament settings so there is less travel and move the tourney's from city to city every year. Take 10 days off at Christmas (Dec 23-Jan 2) and another 1 week break at the end of regular season. These would be 'rest breaks' for the players - to allow for rehab / recuperation so they can get healthy. No practices at this time. Rehab is OK. Then 2 days of practice before starting games again.

I like what the OHL or QMJHL did this year. They took the x ___ # of top teams for playoffs, not just based on division or conference. Travel might be bigger, (it also might not be...) but you are truly rewarded for being a better team (playing a genuinely 'weaker' opponent.) So for the NHL, 1 could play 16, 2 plays 15, etc. This used to be how it was way back in the day...

The BCHL is changing their playoff structure too. See below:

---

The British Columbia Hockey League has announced several significant changes with regards to its schedule, playoffs and team roster rules that are aimed at improving cost efficiency and player development for member clubs. The changes come about as a result of a recent meeting of the BCHL board of governors.

With respect to playoffs, the following changes are being made:

- There will be eight teams that qualify for playoffs, four from each conference. This will accommodate the conclusion of the season being later and ensure a team is available when the Doyle Cup begins.
- There will be just three rounds of playoffs as one round is being eliminated. This is meant to promote competitiveness in opening rounds though this change is on a trial basis and will be reviewed after the end of next season.

With respect to the schedule, the following changes are being made so BCHL games are more accessible for fans and teams can trim travel costs:

- The 2011-12 season will begin later. Games will commence Sept. 23 and will conclude March 11 to coincide with the more traditional hockey season. Teams will be given an option to hold training camp starting in August as usual or push it back to September.
- The league will be going back to a half-interlock schedule that will see each team play every other team but not necessarily visit all buildings. Regional rivalry games will be given more attention.
- The BCHL office will be producing the schedule for the coming season. This will allow weekend dates to be maximized and may see occasional earlier start times on Saturdays to promote attendance by families. It will also ensure reduced travel for clubs with double-headers (i.e. playing the same opponent in their building Friday and Saturday) being incorporated.

With respect to team rosters, the following changes will be implemented for the coming season:

- Roster will be reduced to 21 players from 23 as in past years. This will promote player development and ensure more players dress for more games.
- Each team must carry at least one 16-year-old and one 17-year-old player. This is an effort to develop homegrown B.C. players as with the reduced roster size, these younger players are guaranteed to dress for games.
- An October selection of affiliate players will be held. It is not a true draft and is meant to simply introduce 15-year-old players to the BCHL and keep them on affiliate rosters for the season. At the conclusion of the season, teams will not keep rights to these players.

“We’re confident these ideas will be embraced by our member clubs as we continue to work through our strategic plan,” said league commissioner John Grisdale. “The BCHL looks forward to implementing these changes and improving the product we put on the ice next season.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Yes, there is life after 30

Vancouver’s late-blooming Sedin twins are in full flower

03-06-11 IIHF

VANCOUVER – Wayne Gretzky was 22 when he played in his first Stanley Cup final in 1983 after shredding the NHL record book. Pavel Bure peaked with two 60-goal seasons by age 23. But the Sedin twins are cut from a different cloth.

Now 30 years old, the two superstar offensive players of the Vancouver Canucks have played the best hockey of their career over the past two seasons. Granted, Henrik and Daniel Sedin – the 2010 and 2011 Art Ross Trophy winners respectively – have taken their share of criticism en route to a Stanley Cup final meeting with the Boston Bruins. (That was especially true in the first two rounds versus the Chicago Blackhawks and Nashville Predators, before Henrik exploded to take over the playoff scoring lead versus the San Jose Sharks, with Daniel close behind.)

Yet don’t forget Gretzky was also lambasted when the New York Islanders limited him to four assists in the ‘83 finals, and it was Mark Messier who took the Conn Smythe Trophy when the Edmonton Oilers finally revenged themselves on the Islanders and won the Cup the following year.

There is still no question that the Sedins, chosen second and third overall by Vancouver in the 1999 NHL draft, have established themselves among the world’s absolute elite at a later-than-average age.

“We had some tough years here in the early going,” said Daniel. “We wanted to get better every year. We took some small steps in the beginning. The last few years have obviously been going much better.”

In some respects, the Sedins’ journey simply confirms the prevailing view that Swedish players take longer to reach their top potential than, say, their Canadian or Russian counterparts.

But could the fact that the Örnsköldsvik natives didn’t strictly specialize in hockey as youngsters also account for their peaking late?

In Daniel J. Levitin’s well-known 2006 book This Is Your Brain on Music, the American psychologist states: “The emerging picture...is that ten thousand hours of practice is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert – in anything. In study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction writers, ice skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master criminals, and what have you, this number comes again and again. Ten thousand hours is equivalent to roughly three hours a day, or twenty hours a week, of practice over ten years.”

The Sedins had clearly put in their hours even before they came to North America in 2000. But like a fellow Swedish late-bloomer, Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, they didn’t just lock themselves in a hockey rink as teenagers.

When it comes to sports excellence, those ten thousand hours can be accumulated in more than one discipline, some experts believe. Overspecializing early can hold some athletes back.

“We were playing soccer up until age 16,” said Daniel. “I think it’s good to play a lot of sports when you grow up. Guys can get tired of playing hockey when they only play hockey growing up. But we played a lot of sports. We still think hockey is the best thing, and we’re having a lot of fun out there.”

The twins began pushing toward a point-per-game pace following the NHL lockout of 2005. Having been criticized relentlessly in their early years – would they end up as busts like the top pick from 1999, Atlanta’s Patrik Stefan? – they knew they had to get stronger in more ways than one.

There was the physical side. While the Sedins trained hard in their early years, they needed to refine their off-season routines to get NHL-ready. “It’s tough to play in this league when you struggle to keep up physically,” said Henrik, Vancouver’s captain. “When we came in, we didn’t have the speed, skating, or strength to beat guys in the corners. We’re still not the fastest skaters, but we can skate with the guys in this league. That’s been a big thing for us.”

How about the mental aspect?

“Mentally, I think you get stronger by the things you go through,” explained Henrik. “Mostly the bad stuff, that’s what makes you stronger. It’s easy to play when you’re not getting criticized and people think you’re the greatest. But when you go through tough stretches, either you quit or you move on and get stronger. That’s what we did.”

In 2009-10, things really came together when Henrik was named league MVP. His brother is a strong candidate to take home the Hart this season.

Now the twins bring the complete package, to the dismay of NHL foes and the delight of linemate Alexandre Burrows. He was playing in the ECHL as recently as 2004-05, but today finds himself alongside two NHL scoring champions nightly.

“I watched them play together for three or four years,” said Burrows. “They had different linemates. They’ve had Matt Cooke, Taylor Pyatt, Anson Carter. Even previously, when I wasn’t on the team, they used to play with guys like Jason King and Trent Klatt.”

Burrows knows the secret to complementing the twins’ extraordinary possession game: “The key is that they like to have the puck, and there’s only one puck on the ice. I’ve got to make sure they get the puck as many times I can. They’re going to make plays that nobody else in this league is able to do, saucer passes all over the ice. They can both beat guys out of the corner in what seems like really limited space. It’s spectacular. I just try to open up some space for them so they can have more time to settle the puck down and make plays.”

While the twins should remain great players for years to come, they know their window of opportunity to win a Stanley Cup is closing. That’s why they’ll do anything they can to oust Boston and bring the Canucks the first Cup in the franchise’s 40-year history.

It started well for the Canucks with a 1-0 victory on home ice in Game One on Wednesday when Raffi Torres scored the only goal with 19 seconds left in regulation time.

“We know from Vancouver’s experience in the past that it’s tough to get to this point,” said Henrik. “The Canucks have been in the finals three times now. It’s not easy, but there’s a reason for that. Especially since the lockout, we’ve had pretty much 25 teams that can win it every year.”

Just the kind of calm, logical perspective that you’d expect from a 30-something. One who knows the importance of staying on an even keel in the quest for Lord Stanley’s mug.

LUCAS AYKROYD

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Insider’s look at junior hockey
Wild player filmed scenes during the regular season

By Corey Voegele Wenatchee World sports writer Thursday, June 2, 2011

WENATCHEE — Chris Rumble spent two seasons in Wenatchee trying to become the best hockey player he could be. But if his hockey career doesn’t pan out, Wenatchee could still be remembered as the place he launched a different path in his life.

The Wild defenseman spent the 2010-11 season collecting behind-the-scenes video and audio for a 90-minute documentary called “Into the Ice,” an insider’s look at the world of junior hockey.

“It’s something that’s never been done before,” Rumble said. “I think it’s an interesting subject, a bunch of guys who are really living on their own for the first time and who have a lot of passion (for hockey).”

Between last September and April of this year, Rumble shot more than 80 hours of video. He’s currently in the process of turning that footage into a 90-minute snapshot of the recently completed season, and he hopes to show the finished product for the first time in early August at Town Toyota Center.

Rumble missed a month-and-a-half of the season due to injury, which allowed him to shoot all but a very small portion of the video himself. He convinced teammates — and even officials — to wear wireless microphones during games.

“I just walked in (to the officials’ room), and said, ‘Do you mind if I mic you up?’,” Rumble said. “I got four refs to do it for four different games.”

Rumble said there will probably be two versions of the completed film, a PG-rated version with choice words bleeped as well as an uncensored version.

“I had mics on guys during games and during practices,” Rumble said. “(Usually) you can never understand what goes on inside the glass.”

Rumble said he plans to hold back nothing, which he knows might not sit well with some of his former Wild teammates.

“It’s totally raw, and I know some guys are going to be upset with themselves, and there will be some guys who are upset with me, but that’s the price you’ve got to pay,” Rumble said.

Rumble, the son of former NHL player and coach Darren Rumble, also got current NHL players to contribute to his project.

“I’ve got interviews from a few NHL guys on their (junior hockey) experiences,” Rumble said.

More information: www.insidetheglass.com

Corey Voegele; 661-5223

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Myhres wants to give back to NHL by fighting substance abuse

By John Down, Postmedia News June 3, 2011 Calgary Herald

Brantt Myhres has been to the dark side . . . again and again and again and again . . . and again.

And now the 34-year-old former National Hockey League tough guy wants to give back, wants to share his knowledge, wants to help players who are struggling with substance abuse.

So with a certificate from Calgary’s Mount Royal University in substance abuse counselling, he has offered his services to the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association. As one who has first hand experience from years of battling with addictions, he believes it is a topic that is often ignored by the public or swept under the rug by the players themselves.

“A lot of it goes under the radar,” he said during a telephone interview from his home in Edmonton. “A lot of people really don’t hear the dark side of it. I played with seven different NHL teams, 17 pro teams to be exact, and I had a first hand glance at the abuse that went on.

“A lot of these guys don’t want to say anything to anybody because their careers are at stake and that’s where I could come in. They could confide in me because I’m speaking the same language. There’s no threat to them, like they’re going to a coach, a general manager or an agent. They’re going to an ex-player who’s been there, done that several times.”

Myhres struck out five times in the NHL, the fifth suspension leading to a lifetime ban.

“I think I was the only player to get suspended four times by the league and then get reinstated,” he said. “I played one game with the (Calgary) Flames, a pre-season game (in 2005), got my orbital bone smashed by (Edmonton Oilers’) Georges Laraque in a fight and after that my spirits were down and I ended up relapsing again.

“It was really dark for about a year and half. At some point I said, ‘I’m either going to die or I’m going to get sober.’ I went back to treatment for six months in Oregon and when I got out, my goal was to give back. I wanted to help players who are struggling with it.”

Myhres met with new NHLPA leader Donald Fehr recently but while they agreed he could be a liaison to players, any formal role would have to be jointly agreed upon by the league and PA.

The recent death of former New York Rangers’ Derek Boogaard further strengthened his stance that the issue needs to be openly addressed. Boogaard’s death was believed to have been triggered by a mix of alcohol and Oxycodone.

“I’d definitely like to see a little more awareness,” he said. “The whole league is up in arms over concussions but could you imagine if somebody had died from one of those concussions how crazy it would have gotten.

“But there seems to be very little attention paid to guys who die because of drug and alcohol abuse. You give an 18- or 19-year-old kid $500,000 or $1 million, it’s sometimes a recipe for disaster.”

Myhres drew his first suspension for alcohol abuse when he was just a 17-year-old member of the Western Hockey League’s Lethbridge Hurricanes. He paid his first visit to rehab when he was a 24-year-old member of the Philadelphia Flyers during the 1997-98 NHL campaign.

“They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result,” he said. “I looked at it as doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result. You know what you’re getting into.

“For me I couldn’t seem to function without being medicated and I think fighting definitely took a major toll on me. I started fighting at age 16.”

Myhres had around 300 fights in pro hockey alone. In 154 regular season games in the NHL with Tampa Bay, the Flyers, San Jose, Nashville, Washington and Boston, he scored six goals and collected 687 minutes in penalties.

He never played in the NHL after Laraque broke his orbital bone, nor did he fight again. Now he’s been sober for three years but it’s an ongoing battle to stay out of the dark side.

“How I win the day is I don’t drink or do drugs,” he said. “I’m in the program and hang out with other people who have addiction issues and we try to get through it together.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kennedy: What impact does the NHL combine have on draft day?

Ryan Kennedy The Hockey News 2011-06-04

It’s an event that has grown largely in scope over the years, but how important is the draft combine to the most important decision-makers, the NHL teams themselves? While the pomp and circumstance would lead you to believe the fitness portion has a lot of bearing on matters, the reality is a little more subtle.

According to one NHL exec I talked to, the most important things he learns at the combine's physical testing are effort and frame. As long as a young player appears to be giving it his all, the numbers aren't a deal-breaker. Certain aspects of the test play into this as well. On Day 1 of the fitness testing, the big guns were brought out early with top-5 players Adam Larsson, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sean Couturier all coming through in the first couple sessions. Much was made of the fact none of them completed very many reps on the 150-pound bench press (two-to-six was the unscientific range among them). But the bench press must be done in a very specific manner, so improper technique - not a lack of strength - can disqualify them from posting bigger numbers.

When it comes to frame, that’s something the players cannot hide and while Nugent-Hopkins still looks skinny, he was no worse than Alexander Burmistrov, who jumped straight from junior to the Atlanta Thrashers this season despite a pencil-thin physique. Of course, when you’re uber-talented, it helps. Others are more open to scrutiny. As per usual, it was the kids trained in America that impressed the most in the frame department. Team USA power forward Tyler Biggs looked like he could step onto an NFL linebacker corps today, while Northeastern University’s Jamie Oleksiak was a monster on the intimidating V02 Max bike test. Even John Gibson, who tends net for Team USA, looked NHL-ready and displayed great athleticism to go along with his coveted size (6-foot-3, 205 pounds).

In the interview portion, which took place earlier in the week, one NHL scout told me that it can have a crucial effect on matters. He said for 95 percent of kids, a so-so interview won’t make much difference. But a horrible interview or a horrible fitness test can knock a prospect right off a team’s draft board. That franchise may only eliminate one or two names like that, but it could save them from making a huge mistake on draft day. Considering teams only make around seven picks overall, one or two early gaffes can be huge.

Another interesting takeaway from Day 1 was how many interviews some of the top players had, even though many of the teams had no shot at drafting them (barring a big trade). Larsson interviewed with 21 teams, while Swedish countryman Mika Zibanejad saw 29. The only team that didn’t come calling was Detroit, but only because the exciting youngster had already talked to one of their European scouts back home.

But the big question approaching draft day is what the order will be when everything shakes out. One insider told me Edmonton is having a very tough time choosing between Larsson and Nugent-Hopkins, who are very different players. Personally, I think the Swedish defenseman is a better fit, given the Oilers' organizational needs, but the insider pointed out the Edmonton media has been very hot on Nugent-Hopkins, who plays in Alberta already with Red Deer. That outside pressure is having an impact.

It also creates a domino effect because Colorado, with pick No. 2, likely would take Larsson if available, but maybe not Nugent-Hopkins since the Avs have so many great young centers already (Paul Stastny, Matt Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly). Kitchener right winger Gabriel Landeskog then enters the picture, setting up a showdown between Nugent-Hopkins and Saint John star Jonathan Huberdeau for Florida's attention with the third pick.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Mark Recchi continues to defy his age

ROY MacGREGOR | Boston - From Tuesday's Globe and Mail - Published Monday, Jun. 06, 2011

On Saturday night in Vancouver, Recchi became the oldest person in the history of hockey to score a goal in a Stanley Cup final when the shaft of his tree branch ticked a Zdeno Chara wristshot in behind Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo.

Monday night in Boston he became older still when he scored the winning goal in Boston’s crushing 8-1 defeat of the Canucks to set the series at two-games-to-one in Vancouver’s favour heading into Wednesday’s fourth game in this best-of-seven Stanley Cup final.

One period later, he became even older when he scored Boston’s sixth goal.

At 43, Recchi had just set, and then twice broke, a record he surely has no interest in owning. The previous senior citizen of the final had been Igor Larionov, who was 41 when he scored for Detroit Red Wings nearly a decade ago. Being “oldest ever” is an honour Larionov – who has won Olympic gold, world championships, Stanley Cups and the Canada Cup – likely hands over happily.

What the goals mean to Recchi is something quite different. Scoring in the NHL at 43 is not a distinction of age but rather a denial of age. He had not scored a point in his previous eight playoff games and was a minus-5 on the ice. He was being lashed in the media for his weak play, with the suggestion being that he be replaced by a player, 19-year-old rookie Tyler Seguin, who wasn’t even born when Recchi won his first Stanley Cup.

“The critics,” he announced at game’s end, “can kiss my ass.”

The native of Kamloops, B.C., in fact, played his first NHL game, in a Pittsburgh Penguins uniform, before five of his teammates were born. He himself was born in the year of the Prague Spring, the Vietnam War was raging; the year Pierre Trudeau became prime minister of Canada and The Beatles’ Hey, Jude was No. 1 on the hit parade.

What sets Recchi apart is that he is playing, at age 43, in a sport that has gotten dramatically younger in recent years, with footspeed far more a deciding factor than ice smarts. His familiar chop-chop stride – necessitated by short legs – remains almost as active as ever. Longtime hockey observers, however, have always maintained “it’s the hands that are first to go,” and recent evidence, such as the missed open net during Game 1 that would have given Boston a 1-0 lead in a game they lost 1-0, suggest that may well be true in Recchi’s case, as well, though his second goal of the night was off a good, quick shot.

Still, he is far from a ranking Methuselah in professional sport. Hall-of-Famer Gordie how was playing in the NHL at age 52. Soccer great Sir Stanley Matthews last played at age 50 in 1965. Football great George Blanda left the game in 1976 at 48. Satchel Paige pitched his last game at age 59 in 1966. Martina Navratilova played professional tennis at 49 and golfer Jerry Barber played a PGA event, the 1994 Buick Invitational, when he was 77.

According to Wikipedia, however, the oldest ranking athletes of all time are Ted (Double Duty) Radcliffe, who threw one pitch in the Northern League at age 96 back in 1999, and John Whitmore, a Masters Track competitor, who threw both javelin and discus at a competition back in 2004, when he was 104. “If I don’t drop it on my foot,” he said at the time, “I set a world record.”

Recchi’s record may stand for a long time, given that the game is getting so young and is also so physically abusive that even the best and strongest are often forced out in their early 30s. He is, in many ways, the game’s “Iron Man,” having missed precious few games to groin pulls and a single concussion suffered several seasons back. In more than 1600 regular-season games he has more than 1500 points, making him one of the game’s greatest scorers, even if he has rarely been recognized as such. His seasons have seemingly forever been overshadowed by teammates, from Eric Lindros when he was with the Philadelphia Flyers to Mario Lemieux when he was with Pittsburgh. He has played with seven teams, winning Stanley Cups with Pittsburgh in 1991 and Carolina Hurricanes in 2006. If he won a third this spring with Boston, he swore he would retire because he expected to party all summer and forego his usual extreme fitness regime.

The longtime oenophile recently told the Vancouver Province that a third Stanley Cup victory will mean he’ll be uncorking a bottle of 1970 Petrus that he bought back in the 1990s for $1,700.

It would be a proper salute to a career that surely will be remembered for more than three times – (with more still in him?) – becoming the oldest-ever to score a goal in the Stanley Cup final.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Rome’s vicious hit demands strong NHL response

ERIC DUHATSCHEK | Boston - From Tuesday's Globe and Mail - Published Monday, Jun. 06, 2011

Rome will burn. Or at the very least, he will be singed by the NHL justice system, such as it is.

In a season when no single issue has dominated the NHL’s agenda like head shots and in a season when commissioner Gary Bettman took the unprecedented step of unveiling a new player safety department on the eve of the Stanley Cup final, how else can the NHL respond but to throw the book at Vancouver Canucks defenceman Aaron Rome for his vicious and late hit that levelled Nathan Horton of the Boston Bruins on Monday night in Game 3 here?

The concussive force of the blow to Horton’s head left him sprawled on the ice, dazed, his eyes glazed, unmoving. As silence settled over TD Garden, the outcome of the Bruins’ biggest game of the season – the third of the 2011 Stanley Cup final – was suddenly a lesser consideration, secondary to the health of their teammate.

Attendants carefully braced Horton’s neck, gingerly lifted him onto a stretcher and then wheeled him off the ice so that he could be transported to Massachusetts General Hospital. The preliminary reports issued by the team said only that Horton was moving his extremities, so paralysis at least was ruled out.

These being the playoffs, it is unlikely that any sort of firm concussion diagnosis will be immediately forthcoming either. But this was not the sort of incident the NHL needed now, not with interest in the sport at record levels, with television viewers on both sides of the border flocking to watch what is turning into a close and riveting Stanley Cup final.

So even if the NHL has a long history of sluggishly doling out the suspensions come playoff time, expect a penalty with some teeth. A penalty that will raise awareness. A penalty that will force NHL players to sit up and take notice. A penalty that – once and for all – sends a message that you cannot unload on a vulnerable player, when he isn’t in possession of the puck and hasn’t been for what amounted to a hockey-playing eternity.

Making it worse, if anything could, hockey fans in Boston have seen this solemn moment unfold far too often in the recent past. Remember Marc Savard? Savard hasn’t been the same player since a blind-side sit to the head from Matt Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins left with him concussion symptoms so bad that his career is in jeopardy. How about Patrice Bergeron? Bergeron is playing in these playoffs, but only have a lengthy convalescence recovering from a serious concussion that he received on a hit from Randy Jones of the Philadelphia Flyers in October of 2007.

And lest we forget, the face of the NHL, Sidney Crosby, only just received medical clearance to resume his summer workout program from the Penguins’ doctors a few days ago. Crosby didn’t play a game in the second half of the season, after suffering a concussion in the Winter Classic against the Washington Capitals.

In the third round of the playoffs, Rome was himself the victim of a hit by the San Jose Sharks winger Jamie McGinn that left him bleeding from the face as he left the ice. McGinn received a major and a game misconduct on the play; Rome did not play the final two games of the series. Don’t these guys ever learn?

The NHL supplementary discipline process is in a state of flux right now. The long-time czar of discipline, Colin Campbell, was not going to be involved in this series anyway because his son, Gregory, plays for the Bruins. Mike Murphy, second in command in hockey operations, will review Rome’s hit on Horton. Next year, they’ll hand off the duties to Brendan Shanahan, who will be in charge of the player safety department.

Last week, Bettman said it was his “hope and expectation” that supplementary discipline will be ramped up as long as the players’ association is onside with the policy change.

“If there’s certain conduct that we want to see out of the game, then we’ve got to make sure we do what’s necessary,” Bettman said. “[With] discipline, people like to focus on punishment. I’d rather focus on using the supplemental discipline mechanism to better promote player safety.”

If they’re serious about promoting player safety, then there’s no better time to start than right now.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Rome suspended four games

THE CANADIAN PRESS June 7 2011

BOSTON -- The Vancouver Canucks will have to play the remainder of the Stanley Cup final minus defenceman Aaron Rome.

The NHL suspended Rome for four games Tuesday for his blindside hit on Boston forward Nathan Horton during Boston's 8-1 victory Monday night. With three games having already been played in the final, the suspension effectively ends Rome's season.

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," NHL senior vice-president of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy said in a statement. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

Rome was assessed a five-minute major for interference and game misconduct for the hit, which came at 5:07 of the first period.

Rome will miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup final. Should the series not go the full seven games, his suspension will carry over to the start of next season.

Horton will miss the rest of the final after suffering a severe concussion as a result of the hit.

"We have to find a way to rally around it," said Boston forward Milan Lucic. "Everyone has to do a little bit more."

"I talked to him today and he said he's feeling OK."

Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron added he thought the suspension was justified.

"I think it's significant," said Bergeron. "He's not going to come back, he's done for the playoffs. But losing Horts -- you can't replace him."

Horton had just passed the puck early in the first when Rome lowered his shoulder and left his skates to flatten him. Rome delivered what the Bruins saw as the kind of hit the NHL has tried to eliminate after several players sustained severe concussions.

The 26-year-old Horton, the right-winger on Boston's top line, was reportedly knocked unconscious by the collision, hitting his head on the ice and staying down for several minutes while medical personnel attended to him.

He left the game on a stretcher and was taken to hospital, where he remained overnight.

"He's been a great teammate for us all year," forward Mark Recchi, who scored two goals in Game 3, said before the decision was handed down. "It's tough to see your teammate down on the ice.

"We know it was late, but we're not in control of what the league does."

The Bruins updated Horton's condition in a release Tuesday morning.

Horton has eight goals and nine assists so far in the playoffs for Boston, which trails the best-of-seven final 2-1 heading into Game 4 on Wednesday night.

Horton is second in the playoffs with a plus-11 rating, and became the first player in NHL history to score a game-winning goal in a Game 7 twice in the same post-season run.

He skates on a line with centre David Krejci and Lucic. Boston coach Claude Julien hadn't yet decided how to replace Horton after the Bruins' victory Monday night.

"I think it's important for the whole league to protect our players from those sort of hits," said Julien.

Horton has been a hero in the post-season for Boston, which is in the Stanley Cup final for the first time in 21 years. Horton scored the winning goal in overtime in Game 7 of the first round against Montreal -- and again in the Eastern Conference final, getting the only goal in Boston's 1-0 victory over Tampa Bay late in the third period.

Horton is in his first career post-season after spending his first six seasons with the Florida Panthers. The former No. 3 overall draft pick has 168 goals and 180 assists in 502 games.

Horton was Boston's second-leading goal-scorer this season with 26 and finished fourth in team scoring with 53 points.

While Horton is a key offensive player for the Bruins, the 27-year-old Rome is a depth defenceman for the Canucks, usually playing in their third pairing. He has one goal and 37 penalty minutes in the post-season.

Vancouver already lost defenceman Dan Hamhuis to an undisclosed injury in Game 1 of the final. The Canucks are deep on defence, with veteran Keith Ballard sitting out the first three games as a healthy scratch.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Sleep doctor has Canucks peaking at right time

Matthew Sekeres - Boston - From Tuesday's Globe and Mail - Published Monday, Jun. 06, 2011

The Vancouver Canucks’ sleep doctor doesn’t yet know if he’ll be given a Stanley Cup ring, but if the team beats the Boston Bruins for the NHL championship, than he will have a strong claim to some jewelry.

Pat Byrne, a vice-president and co-founder of Hawaii-based Fatigue Science, has been working with the Canucks since 2008, when Mike Gillis took over as general manager and became determined to solve the team’s persistent travel woes. As the only NHL team based on Canada’s West Coast, the Canucks travel longer distances than any other club, and it was affecting the performance of players.

So Byrne, a health and safety expert with a masters degree in biochemistry from Western Washington University, was commissioned to fix the problem, and reduce fatigue levels across the bench. Beginning in the 2008-09 season, Byrne got Canucks players to wear ReadiBand bracelets for one- to two-week periods early in the season, and developed sleep profiles for every player.

The ReadiBands monitor wrist motion, and are accurate between 92 and 94 per cent of the time, according to Byrne. They were able to shed light on how long players slept, how many times they awoke during the night, whether they slept on charter flights after games, or on buses to and from the airport, and how long it took players to get to sleep after games.

With profiles on every player, Byrne entered the data into a program developed by the U.S. military called Fatigue Avoidance Scheduling Tool, or FAST. Byrne said that Fatigue Science bought the commercial rights to FAST, which was developed roughly 15 years ago.

“It turns sleep data into performance data,” he said. “It shows how their reaction times change during games.”

The FAST program allowed the Canucks and their players to see when their concentration levels were high or low, based on fatigue. It also identified which games would be problematic, and when the team should stay behind in a road city – rather than flying out immediately after the game and arriving home in the wee hours of the night – to maximize rest. It also allowed head coach Alain Vigneault to schedule practices at times when he would have an attentive group of employees, rather than players with wandering attention spans.

The goal, Mr. Byrne said, was to get the players eight to nine hours of sleep per night.

“We feel fresh,” winger Daniel Sedin said prior to Game 3 Monday at the TD Garden in Boston. “We know [the organization] has done everything it can to put us in a good position with sleep. … We know we’re going to have an advantage over other teams.”

The results have spoken for themselves.

Four years ago, before turning to sleep consultants, the Canucks were a mediocre team (18-18-5) away from Rogers Arena. This season, Vancouver had the best road record in the league for the first time, winning 27 of 41 games.

The Canucks scored more third-period goals (100) than any other team in the NHL, and have outscored foes 25-18 in the third period and overtime during the playoffs.

They were also excellent when playing their first home game after a long road swing, which had been a problem in previous seasons. After coming back from trips of at least three games, the Canucks won five of seven games this season, and lost only once in regulation time.

“Because we travel the most in the NHL, that’s one of the reasons why we try and get a scientific approach to where our guys would have the utmost energy,” Vigneault said. “I do know that, obviously, our record is better.

“It certainly seems to be beneficial, and if you look at our third periods, we seem to have the energy to keep pushing forward.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Friend continues battle for Mandi Schwartz

ALLAN MAKI
Globe and Mail Update
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Brennan Turner has lost his friend but he hasn’t lost the desire to fight for her.

The 24-year-old defenceman who befriended the late Mandi Schwartz, of Wilcox, Sask., is continuing to lead a bone marrow drive that could save the lives of others. Schwartz was diagnosed in 2008 with acute myeloid leukemia, an aggressive cancer that attacks the bone marrow, and had undergone several treatments, including chemotherapy. She was scheduled for a bone marrow transplant this August after a donor was found but she died April 3 at the age of 23 after her cancer returned.

Turner, who like Schwartz played hockey at Yale University, is part of the OneMatch stem cell and marrow search operated by the Canadian Blood Services. There are several donation drives planned for Western Canada, including one in Regina this weekend and one in Calgary and Saskatoon on June 18-19.

“They’re looking for a specific age group, 17 to 39, and especially people of Black, Latin and Aboriginal descent,” said Turner. “It takes 15 minutes and (the collectors) do a cheek swab and the results are on (the CSB’s) reporting for 30 years.”

Turner had helped lead the charge to find a suitable donor for Schwartz. Schwartz’s teammates at Yale also held bone marrows drives and, according to Turner, five samples collected have produced matches for people in need.

“It wasn’t all for naught,” said Turner, who has remained in close contact with the Schwartz family. “We didn’t get the result everyone was hoping for Mandi, but there’s hope for others. I talked to Rick (Schwartz, Mandi’s dad) the other day and he doesn’t wish this on any family.”

Turner remains under contract to the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Time for NHL to take off the blinkers

Jeff Blair | Globe and Mail Update
Published Wednesday, Jun. 08, 2011

If Aaron Rome’s four-game suspension is some kind of seminal disciplinary moment for the NHL, then it speaks volumes about the degree to which the league remains a mom-and-pop operation.

Bad enough that Mike Murphy sought advice from a general manager with a vested interest in the outcome of the series before swallowing hard and ridding the game of the kind of minimally talented player so often at the core of on-ice assaults.

Equally telling was Murphy equating Rome having to miss the rest of the playoffs for delivering a late hit, to the absence of Nathan Horton due to that hit.

“Guys play all their lives to get to this series, and you might never get back,” Murphy said. “I wish I wasn’t sitting here. I wish Aaron was playing, and I wish Nathan was playing.”

Translation: “It pains me to have to do my job. I feel as bad for the perpetrator as I do for the victim. It’s a *censormode* what happened to Horty, but, geez, poor Romer. ’Cause he’s a good guy – no, a great guy.”

Now, I’m not going to hop on board the Canucks’ lunatic conspiracy bandwagon. I will take the NHL at its word that outgoing chief of discipline Colin Campbell, whose son plays for Boston, really has turned in his BlackBerry to retire about three years too late – not realizing he was in a conflict-of-interest situation until young Gregory made his way to the Stanley Cup final, and well after he was caught sending messages to referees about his son’s opponents. And I won’t sit here and tell you that it was anything other than a tone-deaf and, frankly, unnecessary revelation by Murphy that before rendering judgment, he had consulted Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, who filled the role of chief NHL disciplinarian in a previous life but was also:

1) Fired by the Canucks.

2) Fined by the NHL for tampering with the Canucks’Daniel and Henrik Sedin just before they became free agents.

A conspiracy? No. Burke’s too smart for that. I’ll accept without question Burke’s e-mail response to various reporters that his input was “procedural.” If anything, Burke would err on the side of being too-principled. If it was me, I would have told Murphy to throw out the Sedins and Kesler, too.

The NHL had this coming, of course, because it’s turned the asylum over to the ex-inmates. It has wrung its collective hands and furrowed its brow over every single disciplinary issue all season. It is telling that so many of the leagues apologists tut-tutted over the four-game suspension – they thought it would only be two – even as the Canucks predictably babbled on about north-south hits. Because that’s how the NHL does business: it sees events through the eyes of the perpetrator.

Because deep down all the ex-players making these decisions think everybody’s a good guy. We are under the tyranny of sorts of ex-players, and if you think Brendan Shanahan’s going to bring any other sensibility to the equation, you are sadly mistaken. His first instinct will be: ‘Well, I remember being in the same situation and I hit a guy the same way …’ What else do you expect? What other pool of knowledge do these guys have?

The NHL isn’t the only sport that loads up on ex-players in its front office – although none are as blatant in using it as a labour weapon, creating make-work projects to suck in players who might otherwise spend their retirement helping the NHL Players’ Association – but it is one of the few leagues that puts them in positions to make decisions on life-and-death issues; on matters of medical importance that also have quasi-legal overtones. This is a sport that is marching slowly towards producing a generation of cripples who will be ingesting food through a straw, yet is all too willing to hand over decisions to guys named Colie, Murph and now Shanny.

Here’s something: how about putting the decision in the hands of people with medical and legal training, who aren’t part owner of teams or used to work for teams or are golf buddies with Gary Bettman or have kids who play with teams? How about putting the decision in the hands of somebody who can analyze a play without remembering what it was like to run a guy into the boards after the other player turns his back? How about the suits at the board of governors level saying no shot to the head will be tolerated, imposing draconian financial and service-time fines on players and coaches and teams and instituting a system where teams lose draft picks for repeated transgressions? How about hiring people who can look at a video and say: “We don’t allow shots to the head or blind-side hits or hitting players without the puck or late hits. Hmm … that’s a head-shot. See ya, big fellow – you’re gone for 15 games.”

That Murphy called Burke before rendering judgment is a sign of a guy who panicked under pressure, who turtled in a big moment. That Murphy felt any sense of remorse at all at in suspending Rome for an unnecessary hit on a player who didn’t have the puck – one that sent the player to hospital – is more telling. Time to put some smart people in the saddle, Gary. Time to look outside the game.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL GMs support broader penalties for head hits

ERIC DUHATSCHEK
BOSTON— Globe and Mail Update

To the surprise of virtually no one, a special blue ribbon committee asked to re-examine the NHL’s controversial head shot rule - aka Rule 48 -recommended that its scope be broadened and clarified for the start of the 2011-12 season.

The committee, which features Brendan Shanahan and Rob Blake of the NHL’s hockey operations staff and general managers Steve Yzerman (Tampa) and Joe Nieuwendyk (Dallas) made its report to NHL GMs Wednesday, the first step in getting it put into place for the start of next season.

Rule 48, which was introduced last year to eliminate blindside and lateral hits to the head, has resulted in a great deal of confusion, as the debate over head injuries dominated the league’s off-ice agenda this year.

Members of the committee didn’t specify exactly how the wording had changed, other than to acknowledge that the term “blindside” had been dropped. But it’s intentions are clear.

“With the broadening of the rule, it’ll incorporate more hits - and there’ll be stiffer penalties,” said Nieuwendyk. “The real teeth of it will be in supplemental discipline with Shanny - he’ll have the job to do that. It’s like any rule change. The players take time to adapt, but eventually, they figure it out.”

Hits to the head that featured “north-south” contact - such as the one delivered by the Vancouver Canucks’ Aaron Rome on the Boston Bruins’ Nathan Horton in Monday’s third game of the Stanley Cup final - do not contravene Rule 48 because the check was delivered in a head-on matter.

The reworked rule is supposed to clarify interpretations for all the interested parties - primarily coaches, players and managers, but also for the public at large, which has been perplexed by its seemingly uneven application over the course of the 2010-11 season.

Shanahan’s group will also present their findings to the competition committee and to the board of governors before it can be formally adopted.

Nieuwendyk retired in 2006 and says that the game has become so much faster in the short time that he’s been away - and that has been a contributing factor to the increase in head injuries.

“I marvel at the speed of it now,” said Nieuwendyk. “The rule changes that were implemented coming out of the lockout really opened up the game, but with that, bad things can happen - and I think that’s what we’ve been finding. Those rules were put in to make the game a certain way, but now we have to look at it again and say, ‘how do we make it safer?’”

Leafs’ general manager Brian Burke, who was the NHL’s chief disciplinarian before Colin Campbell, said his advice to Shanahan, who will get the job starting next year is “to have real thick skin and real small ears.”

“We want to continue the crackdown on head shots,” said Burke, who then repeated a familiar mantra - that hockey is a physical game and that the league cannot make it completely safe for all its players.

“I think people watch these interviews and say, ‘I don’t think these guys care about head shots.’ The tightrope we walk is, this is a full contact sport. It has always has been since we opened our doors for business - and we don’t want to change that.

“We want to eliminate the really dangerous plays, but this is a game where you’re going to get hit and there’s going to be injuries and we have to start with that basic understanding.”

Blake, who recently joined the NHL’s hockey operations staff after retiring last year, said: “Each year, you try to do something to improve it, and this year, it’s the safety of the players and expanding the head-hit rule.”

However, Blake said there was no appetite among GMs for a full ban of head hits - yet. “I don’t think it’s there by any means,” said Blake. “There are steps to that process. If that needs to be (adopted) down the road, someday maybe, but ...”

Blake left the sentence unfinished, but the answer was clearly: Not now.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Confusion in all directions on head-shot rule

ROY MacGREGOR | Boston— From Thursday's Globe and Mail

They did not seem eager to disclose much of what was discussed during the NHL general managers’ meeting at The Langham, a posh downtown hotel here.

So let us presume each player will be outfitted with a GPS by next season.

It is the only way we will ever sort out this north-south and east-west lunacy that is sadly at the core of the endless head-shot controversy.

Rule 48, which was created a year ago to deal with Matt Cooke and other headhunters, makes a profound distinction between north-south hits and east-west hits. For those unfamiliar with hockey’s often silly nomenclature – half-boards, stretch pass, puck support, quick stick, etc. – north-south is considered to be one player coming down the ice and being checked head on. East-west, on the other hand, is a hit coming from the side, laterally, and if deemed blind side it is likely to be punished further by suspension.

It matters squat whether the rink in question faces north, west, south or east – north is always one goal, south always the other.

Follow?

In the current raging battle over a hit delivered by Vancouver Canucks defenceman Aaron Rome on Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton – a hit that sent Horton to hospital with concussion and Rome to the penalty box, then to the sidelines with a four-game suspension – Rule 48 was said not to come into play because the play was north-south.

In fact, it was really a southwest-northeast hit, but no matter. The league decided to use the interference penalty as the basis for the supplementary punishment given Rome.

Wait, though: It gets more complicated still. In Vancouver’s earlier series with the Chicago Blackhawks, Canucks forward Raffi Torres levelled Chicago defenceman Brent Seabrook with a hit to the head that most thought would surely lead to suspension. Not so, the league ruled, saying there was a hitting zone behind the net where space is so confined that players cannot truly go north-south and so east-west will be considered north-south in that zone for purposes of punishment. The league said this had been the case all along; no player has since been found who knew about this peculiar exception.

Rule 48, therefore, can be said to have a notwithstanding clause.

“If you’re a player,” Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said this week, “confusion is obviously part of your vocabulary.”

So confused has Rule 48 become that no one seems certain of anything any longer. The rule was brought in to deal with earlier career-threatening headshots to Florida Panthers forward David Booth by Mike Richards of the Philadelphia Flyers and to Boston forward Marc Savard by Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Neither hit led to supplemental discipline by the league.

The rule is now its own raging controversy.

“It’s too convoluted,” TSN and NBC analyst Pierre McGuire said.

“If you’re David Booth or Marc Savard, your reaction has to be, ‘Are you kidding me? That’s four games? What about what happened to me?’”

Similarly, what about the Torres hit on Seabrook? Former NHL referee Dan Marouelli, who retired last year, told CBC Wednesday that “had somebody suspended Torres” – perhaps by interpreting the rules differently – a message would have been sent and “Nathan Horton still might be playing.”

All the same, the four-game suspension handed Rome by Mike Murphy, the league’s senior vice-president of hockey operations, gives people like McGuire some hope that the fog is lifting off the ice in the NHL.

“What this is,” said McGuire, “is an indication that sands are shifting. They’re getting it right. It’s taking a while, but they’re getting it right.”

And so, on a hot afternoon in Boston the 30 league GMs gathered at The Langham to talk about Rule 48 and to hear a presentation from the NHL’s so-called blue-ribbon panel on player safety: former players Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk, both now GMs, and Brendan Shanahan and Rob Blake, who joined league offices when they retired from playing.

That nothing was truly resolved was apparent the moment the meeting lifted, with GMs fleeing the room with the same shouted “I have a plane to catch,” and only a very few staying to talk. It was apparent in what they said and did not say that clarity is still some time off.

Wisely, it appears the panel recommended to the GMs that the words blind side no longer pertain – as precise direction is sometimes even difficult to determine with a Tom Tom.

Take blind side out, broaden the scope of hits to the head – yet stick, as Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke put it, “with that basic understanding that this is a full-contact sport.”

“There’s grey area in all that,” Nieuwendyk added, “because we have a physical sport.”

As for banning all hits to the head, as other sports have and as science and society is increasingly calling on the NHL to do and as other hockey levels have already done, it just isn’t on – at least not yet.

“We’re trying to get to the same place,” Shanahan insisted.

Agreed, it’s just that no one has yet found the GPS that can take everyone there.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Campbell: NHL GMs have no appetite to eliminate head shots

Ken Campbell / The Hockey News / 2011-06-08

BOSTON – Nobody is really sure exactly what the GMs spent five hours discussing Wednesday afternoon when it comes to head shots, largely because they were being deliberately vague, but we know two things emerged from their meeting.

First, despite its claims that player safety is paramount, the NHL is perfectly fine with the prospect of players still being carted off the ice on stretchers. Second, if Aaron Rome drills a player in the head the way he did to Nathan Horton in Game 3, he won’t be suspended provided the victim is carrying the puck or less time has lapsed between his pass and Rome lowering the boom.

The NHL continues to tweak its head shot rule, all the while claiming it’s making the game safer for its players. Apparently it considers this tiptoeing and lack of willingness to ban head shots outright as a form of progress.

“If you took that (Rome hit) back, put the puck on his stick, that hit is there,” said director of hockey operations, Rob Blake, who was part of the league’s “blue-ribbon panel” along with Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk to guide the league on head shots. “That’s where we talk about the legal contact to the head. There are situations where there are big hits in the game and by no means do we want to take those out. Those are the ones that are full, clear body-contact hits. The ones where the head is targeted, those are going to be looked at.”

Until they run their recommendation past the competition committee next Monday, all parties involved were short on specifics. But there is the notion that Rule 48 was broadened. It appears now the north-south aspect of the rule will be abolished if the head is targeted and is the principal point of contact.

“Blind-side has been taken out as far as terminology,” said Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray. “And there will be more focus on hits to the head that will be penalized more.”

Which means when it comes to head shots, the league still can’t get beyond the notion that if it bans all hits to the head the way the Ontario League has done, it will reduce the league to four-on-four ringette.

“Why should we (have an outright ban on head shots),” said Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. “If you have an otherwise legal hit that results in contact to the head, that’s part of the game and always has been. If you go to that rule, you’re going to take hitting right out of the game.”

Burke said he has monitored the OHL, which banned all head shots this season, and isn’t satisfied it hasn’t reduced hitting significantly. Those who run major junior franchises would argue otherwise and as Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller once said, nobody wants to take hitting out of the game, they just want to take stupid hits out of the game.

“This wouldn’t be like the OHL rule and some of the international rules,” Shanahan said. “This wouldn’t just be a blanket rule where any contact to the head is illegal. It’s not quite that far, but at the same time it’s more than what we have right now.”

In its first season of implementation, there were eight suspensions for hits that fell under the purview of Rule 48 and two of them were rescinded. GMs and league officials weren’t forthcoming when asked which hits from this season would have been deemed illegal under the new rule. Burke said his interpretation of the proposed new rule would not have penalized Raffi Torres for his hit on Brent Seabrook in the first round because it was a north-south hit.

All of which makes all of this just as confusing as ever. For years, the powers that be in hockey haven’t been able to even come up with a consensus on what actually should be deemed a head shot. Any hit to the head might be a good place to start. But it appears the men who hold the most power in the league to make change, and they all think they’re doing the best thing for the game, are unwilling to do anything drastic…ever.

Consider that Shanahan, Blake, Yzerman and Nieuwendyk are considered the brightest, most progressive young minds in the game. If they’re not willing to do what it takes to seriously curb head shots, there’s really no hope anyone will.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: HOW TO HANDLE A SERIES WHERE THERE IS BAD BLOOD

KERRY FRASER TSN Blog 6/8/2011

Hey Kerry,

After what happened in Game 3 (with hit, the jawing and taunting after the whistles and all the players being tossed near the end), how would you approach the players and coaches before Game 4?

Gregg Ellis, Halifax

Hi Gregg:

This series has certainly heated up. Historically, I found that the Cup Final usually does as either the series protracts or when some incident might occur that creates bad blood.

It only took two periods into the series for Alexandre Burrows to leave his teeth marks as an imprint on what would follow. In Game 2, Maxim Lapierre's finger taunting infuriated the Bruins as much, if not more, than the lack of a suspension to Burrows or for his tremendous three-point performance that stole the game for the Canucks. Down two games to none, the "B's" returned home like angry hunters loaded for bear.

Early in Game 3 they watched in sickening horror as their popular teammate Nathan Horton was immobilized, placed on a back board and carted off to Mass General after suffering the consequences of a devastating late, high hit from Aaron Rome. The crushing check would ultimately end the season for both players but not before the Bruins extracted their own measure of revenge; first on the scoreboard and then through their own taunting and the physical punishment they administered.

Every game has a unique heartbeat. It changes with the pace and what the game presents. There are times when hostilities escalate and the referees have to know when and how to appropriately slow the pulse of the game without it going into cardiac arrest.

Gregg, I'll tell you how I would approach Game 4 but first let me share with you what I would have done in Game 3. Everyone knew going into the last game that Lapierre's finger pointing threw gasoline on the fire. Claude Julien made his feelings known on the subject and said that his players would not participate in classless acts such as this.

As a referee going into that game, you know where the hot spots (and hot buttons) are. The appropriate penalty was assessed to Aaron Rome but that hit would only intensify the animosity between the two teams and the potential for retribution. The score of the game can often dictate if and when a team might blow a gasket and decide it's time to pay back a debt owed.

Prior to that happening there were a few times that we saw Boston players stick their gloves and fingers in the pursed lips of Burrows and Lapierre without getting so much as nibble. Given the history of what had taken place in the previous games I would have immediately approached both coaches after the very first time a taunt of this nature occurred and laid down the law. Vigneault and Julien would have been advised that the very next player from either team (regardless of who he was) that stuck his finger in the face of an opponent would receive a 10-minute misconduct for inciting. I would tell them we wouldn't drop the puck until they informed all their players (including the ones on the ice at that time) of the consequences of this unacceptable taunt just to be sure the message was delivered. I am positive both coaches would have taken control of this situation immediately and it would not have continued to become part of a sideshow as it did.

There are times when drastic situations call for drastic measures. There certainly were occasions that I removed a player from the game that was only going to cause us grief based on the score of the game and the time remaining. With about 12 minutes in Game 3 remaining, Shawn Thornton was sent to the showers in a game management decision by the referee.

At the time I didn't think it wise to send this Boston policeman to the showers. Hostilities actually increased once Thornton was gone and the fear of the 500-pound gorilla being let out of his cage no longer existed. Shawn knows his role but is also an honourable guy that will work with the officials. Once again it's about feeling the pulse of the game and keeping the temperature around 98.7. Shawn Thornton would have been an asset that I would have utilized to the advantage of the game and solicited his cooperation if possible. In the end he might have gotten to the shower first but not with 12 minutes remaining.

For Game 4 Hockey Ops has already taken control. The series suspension to Aaron Rome should be a huge deterrent to every player to control their methods of hitting, with an eye to the consequence of their actions. Both teams have been served notice that the circus atmosphere will no longer be tolerated. (In post game interviews Claude Julien said he would not tolerate it from his players and Milan Lucic confirmed the scolding he received from his coach.) The finger pointing should, therefore, be a dead issue. If it does become a hangnail it must be clipped by the referees immediately as I suggested above. I believe both teams have already been advised that a penalty will result for any of this type of behavior without warning by the referee. If they haven't they would hear it from me early; maybe even before I dropped the puck.

The puck should now rest firmly on the sticks of the players. I would trust that both coaches prepared their respective teams to compete hard and not to veer from the game plan to seek retribution or put their teammates at a disadvantage. That is how I believe the game will be approached by both teams.

The two referees need to enter the game in a state of emotional calm but with a readiness to bring the temperature down and slow the pulse only when the game calls for that to be done. They need to drop the puck and turn the game over to the players and then react to what is presented.

This has been a hard-hitting series. I would not take that away from the players. The stupid stuff after the whistle and scrums would not be tolerated and be taken care of immediately with one penalty being assessed wherever possible. The officials' best friend is a moving puck so I would attempt to keep the play moving whenever possible.

If the referees enter the game too tight and caught up in the hype of what might happen they could very easily overreact on the first couple of calls in the game. All that would accomplish would be to destroy the heartbeat of the game. I don't believe that will happen. I believe the crew will be well prepared for the challenge and in the end it will be the players themselves that dictate how the officials will respond. The best case scenario for them is to drop the puck and tell the players to bring it back when they are done. "Just play boys and we'll stay out of your way."

The circus should be over.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Honestly speaking

Like them or not Alex Burrows and Maxim Lapierre haven’t figured out how to play an honest game.

Mark Spector Sportsnet.ca June 12, 2011

BOSTON — It really isn’t about whether or not you like the Vancouver Canucks, abhor them, or whether they qualify as Canada’s Team, a term we’ve never cared for.

Beauty, alas, is in the eye of the beholder.

In Maxim Lapierre, the Canucks fan sees a toothy grin and a game-winning goal, while others temper that snapshot with the embarrassing bit of play acting he plied in the first period of Game 5. Zdeno Chara’s stick touched Lapierre’s torso, and Lapierre acted like he’d been run through by a jousting lance.

A Canucks fan wonders how that cross check by Dennis Seidenberg could possibly not be called. The guy in Ottawa sees No. 14’s head snap back roughly four times a game, and wonders how on earth a referee could tell when he’s watching the gritty Alex Burrows, or his alter ego, spring-boarder Alexandre Despatie?

But here’s the problem for Vancouver: referees aren’t Canucks fans. They aren’t Boston Bruins fans, or fans of any team in the National Hockey League.

They are, like us sports writers, observers whose job it is to separate fiction from reality. And deep down, they are hockey men, just like players, coaches, and managers.

There is a term that is exclusive to hockey, one you seldom hear in a football locker room or baseball clubhouse. When an NHLer gains the permanent respect in hockey circles, he is known by his peers simply as an honest player.

It is faint praise — unless you know the culture. Then, it is the ultimate compliment.

So, by their hockey DNA, officials are less trustful of any foul that involves a player not thought to be an honest player.

Burrows is a very good player but you can’t dupe officials as often as he has over the years, and be known as an honest player.

Lapierre has dug his hole even deeper over the years. In NHL circles, his reputation is likely irretrievable.

That’s not simply my opinion, or some fan’s view, and nor does it mean that he can’t help your team win. Clearly he can.

Two skilled players like these, however, have become a metaphor for the Canucks. They don’t need to dive to be impactful, useful players. Nor do the Canucks need those forged elements to win the Stanley Cup.

The team would be fine — perhaps even further ahead — without those elements.

"They have so much speed and skill on that side," Bruins Brad Marchand said. "We have to play physical to try and slow them down. If we’re worried about guys falling down and stuff like that, that’s what the refs are there for is to make judgment calls and they’ll do that."

And there is the rub, folks.

We’ve had the conversation enough times, with enough NHL referees. Like just over a year ago, after that incident between referee Stephane Auger and Burrows.

You’ll recall Burrows’ claim that Auger had threatened to pay him back for some fakery in a game Auger had refereed earlier that season. Then Auger called two late penalties on Burrows, as if on cue.

What Auger had done wrong, a few fellow officials told me the next day, was follow Burrows around during the warmup, conducting a conversation heard by only between the two of them. He left the interpretation of that chat open to a he-said she-said scenario that followed that night in Vancouver.

If an NHL official were allowed to speak publicly to this, here is what he would say:

"I go to the bench to talk to the coach, I stand in front of the player, and I make sure his teammates can hear me. I tell the coach, ‘Look, I don’t know what is a penalty and what isn’t a penalty with this guy. So I’m just not going to call anything with him, because then none of us look bad.’"

At that moment, the player’s coach and teammates all realize the same thing: This player has turned the officials against them, to some small extent. And they know the opponent, as the Bruins did in Game 5, will take advantage of that impunity whenever possible.

So even if it is only by a small increment, the actions of Lapierre and Burrows make it harder to win. The calls that aren’t made, the Lucic powerplay evened out by Burrows’ perceived dive — how could the ref possibly tell? — they are going to cost you.

The goal of the referee is that the player’s own teammates and coaches cure him. Why that has not happened in Vancouver, under a solid man like Alain Vigneault, we just don’t know.

Via twitter, Canucks fans have asked, "Why don’t referees call each incident separately from the other ones. Why does one call affect the next?"

The answer: Human nature, and tradition.

Human nature penned the old standard, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

For the rest of this Stanley Cup final, it will be shame on Burrows, and shame on Lapierre.

That’s the way it works, and that’s the way it always has worked in hockey.

And it won’t change for a couple of guys who, like them or not, have never figured out how to play an honest game.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The Stanley Cup has lived a life of its own since the early 1890s

Canadian Press June 12, 2011

VANCOUVER - It has cradled newborn babies and bid farewell to the dying, stood tall in the middle of a war zone and gazed down upon Paris from the heights of the Eiffel Tower.

Since its birth close to 120 years ago, the Stanley Cup has travelled more kilometres than a diplomat, wandering the world as professional hockey's most-famous ambassador, greeting heads of state and commoners, amassing tales -- perhaps, even a few secrets along the way.

"If it could talk, I mean, you'd be better off interviewing it than us because it's like an inanimate object that is almost human in a way," said Phil Pritchard, the cup's keeper, in a phone interview from Toronto's Hockey Hall of Fame.

"It's so revered and so respected and people are such in awe with it. It's amazing, and I don't think Lord Stanley back in the 1890s ever imagined or ever knew what would happen not only with the game of hockey but his own trophy."

Sometime, in the next week, the cup will travel in a non-descript but very secure case to the hometown of the 2011 Stanley Cup champions -- either Boston or Vancouver.

From there, it will begin the next chapter of its storied life, a life Pritchard has seen up close during the past two decades.

He travels around the world with the cup, purchased from a London, England silversmith in 1893 and awarded to the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association later that year by Sir Frederick Arthur Stanley, Canada's governor general at the time.

While on Pritchard' watch, the cup has travelled to some remote locations, like Kandahar, Afghanistan and Yekaterinburg, Russia, the latter being about 1,667 kilometres northeast of Moscow and hometown to Pavel Datsyuk, a member of the Detroit Red Wings' 2007-2008 championship team.

Despite its remoteness, he said, Yekaterinburg's residents were not unfamiliar with the cup.

"We could have been in Northern Ontario; we could have been in Minnesota," said Pritchard. "I mean, people had Red Wings' shirts on. They had pucks, you know, they had mini sticks to get signed. Other than the language, you wouldn't know where you were."

Two years later, in August 2010, the cup travelled to Paris, France, thanks to Cristobal Huet, a member of the Chicago Blackhawks' winning team.

According to the Hockey Hall of Fame's website, the Eiffel Tower opened early so Huet, a native of Grenoble, France, could make the trip to the top.

When Huet emerged below at the tower's base, said Pritchard, a crowd of fans wanted photos with him and the cup.

Back across the Atlantic, the cup has also travelled to some impressive heights.

Andrew Ladd, who played for Chicago in 2010, rode a helicopter with the cup to the top of Crown Mountain, north of Vancouver, just to watch the sunrise.

To the east in Toronto, the cup has even welcomed royalty.

Pritchard's not sure whether or not Canada's head of state, Queen Elizabeth II, has actually seen the cup up close, but Sweden's king and queen, Carl Gustav and Silvia, have during a 2006 visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"They are big hockey fans in Sweden. Their national team is very close to the hearts of everyone in Sweden including the king and queen," said Pritchard.

Some visits add a touch of seriousness and urgency, though, like trips to children's hospitals and hospices, where it can bring smiles to the face of the sick and dying.

"When you go to a place like that...it helps everyone just a little bit," said Pritchard.

The cup has also greeted newcomers to this world. Brent Seabrook, who was also on Chicago's 2010 winning team, took a photo of the cup, which held a newborn baby, in Delta Hospital.

When asked about the interesting food and drink it has held, Pritchard said he's seen people eat traditional Slovakian soup, perogies, breakfast cereal, and even baby lobster from the bowl.

After such occasions, he's used mild detergent and warm water to clean the cup.

Not always is the cup so easy to clean or even fix, especially when it goes missing as airline baggage or is dropped accidentally and damaged, Pritchard said.

Asked to comment on a unique Stanley Cup fact most may not know about, Pritchard paused for a second, before talking about people's reaction to seeing the cup for the first time, the engraved names of its winners, its history and grandeur.

"It's revered and held in awe and in a special place in everybody's heart...especially those two teams that are playing right now."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Vancouver brothers sculpted game of hockey 100 years before Canucks vied for cup

The Canadian Press 2011-06-13 The Hockey News

VANCOUVER - When Roberto Luongo drops to his knees to make a game-changing save, overjoyed Vancouver Canucks fans erupt with wild gratitude for the swift move.

What many don't appreciate is that dynamic manoeuvre was invented by a pair of hockey-head brothers 100 years before the superstar goaltender was to compete for the Stanley Cup in the same city where the brothers laced up the new rule.

In fact, the exuberant crowds wouldn't be watching playoffs at all if not for the Vancouver-based Patrick brothers.

"They really were innovations, stuff that wasn't tried anywhere before in the game," said Jason Beck, curator for the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame, of the lengthy list of ingenuities introduced by the brothers.

"(They) literally changed the game to what we're seeing today in the Vancouver-Boston series. I mean, there is a direct connection between what happened in 1911 to 2011."

Lester and Frank Patrick are credited with making vital contributions to Canada's favourite sport, earning them and their offspring the moniker of "hockey's royal family."

They invented the playoff series as it now stands, put numbers on jerseys, created the blueline, tightened the number of players teams were allowed to have on the ice and permitted goalies to develop the butterfly stance.

The duo was born in Drummondville, Que. to a wealthy lumber baron who moved his operations and sons to Nelson, B.C. in the early 20th century. They were both skilled professional hockey players who won the Stanley Cup, convincing their father to sell off his land in the Southern Interior to start their own three-team league further West.

It was a huge risk, considering Vancouver rarely got cold enough for local ponds to freeze into ice. Sometimes, the hockey season lasted only a few days.

But with a half-million dollars, the family built artificial ice arenas in Vancouver and in Victoria, creating the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.

"They were really smart businessmen, and they had to be, because it wasn't a money-making operation, especially at first," Beck said, adding that in the beginning, the Patricks made more cold, hard cash selling ice for iceboxes from the refrigeration plant than from the sports sales.

Within their league they played, coached, managed and owned the teams and held the role of commissioner, allowing them to adjust the rules and move players around as they liked, just to keep play exciting. Between 1911 and 1926, they implemented nearly two dozen additions and changes that remain with the game today:

Playoff format: Other than baseball's World Series, neither hockey nor other professional sports featured a "second season" to determine the best of the best. The team that won in its division was simply crowned king. The Patricks wanted to reward teams that played well but might have been lower in the standings. They created a best-of-three or best-of-five series instead of the traditional two-games, total-goals series. Ticket sales shot up.

Jersey numbers: Prior to helmets, players were identified from the head up. By pinning a number on the backs of hockey sweaters, the Patricks surmised they could sell programs listing player names alongside their number.

Blueline: The red centreline was once the only one. Wanting to invigorate the game and add more offence, the Patricks installed blue lines. Unrestricted passing was allowed in the neutral zone, the central zone, which led to the acceptance of forward passing.

Player structure: Hockey was originally played by seven people—three forwards, two defencemen, a goalie, and a rover who could skate all over the ice. The brothers eliminated that final position.

Goaltending: Prior to the Patricks' league, goalies were only permitted to stand to make a save.

Other innovations included introducing the penalty shot, legalizing the kicking of the puck in play, allowing substitution of players during play, having two referees on the ice and tracking assists, as opposed to just goals. The brothers also coined the term "superstar," which they applied to players such as Cyclone Taylor.

Beck said Frank Patrick was the dreamer and the thinker, while his older brother Lester was the promoter and showman. Together they had the insider knowledge of players, as well as the resources to ensure their rule changes would stick.

Most significantly, they were able to cut through the "old, stodgy" rules that prevailed in the East, Beck said.

"The West was uncharted territory for hockey, a blank canvas. I don't think there's any possible way they could have implemented so many of these changes in such a dramatic way in the East because everything was so entrenched there," he said.

"These were crazy, revolutionary things at the time but they're still here with us."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: THE ONE REGRET IN ADDRESSING A PLAYER'S WHINING

Kerry Fraser's Blog TSN June 12, 2011

Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca!

Hi Kerry,

Kudos to you and/or TSN management for coming up with the idea for your Q&A column. I think it gives some great insight.

My question is: How much of a difference do you see between now and when your career first started in regards to whining players? HBO's Winter Classic 4-part series really opened my eyes up in regards to how much players whine and complain (especially Crosby).

Do you find today's younger players are worse than those from years past? I can't help but watch a game and sometimes think "Suck it up princess...quit your whining!"

Was there ever occasion where you said something you regret to a complaining/whining player after getting fed up with constantly hearing him?

Thx!

Todd
Burk's Falls, ON

Todd:

TSN management and I thank you for the kudos.

We are pleased that you, along with so many other readers, have expressed an appreciation for the unique insight that has become the trademark of this column in just a short time. With the Stanley Cup presentation a game or two away I will be wrapping things up very shortly.

I appreciate the opportunity that TSN and particularly the executive masterminds behind "C'mon Ref," (Mark Milliere & Steve Dryden) afforded me to share my perspective on officiating and the in-game segments with Steve Kouleas on That's Hockey 2Nite, throughout the Stanley Cup Playoffs with James Duthie and the NHL panel and with the initiation of this column on the web site. My work with TSN has been a most rewarding experience as I continue to transition and attempt to find my way after 30 seasons on NHL ice.

The direct answer to your question is that players 'whined and complained' in my NHL rookie season in 1980 (probably for good reason) and continued right through to my final one in 2009-10. The game is emotional and highly competitive with much at stake. Player—referee relationships can quickly turn adversarial in nature with just one decision made by either side (good call-bad call, bad play, bad penalty, just to name a few).

Players and officials bring a certain set of learned skills (and deficiencies) when they arrive in the NHL. No matter how skilled that first round pick or franchise player is, there is a growth process that must take place. Experience can sometimes be the best teacher. I often learned more quickly from bad experiences or poor decisions that I had rendered. The same can be true for players. One of the intangibles in our development is maturity.

Wayne Gretzky did not enter the NHL and become a phenom, he arrived fully formed. In many ways he was mature well beyond his years, but at times he was still just a kid, not unlike those who followed him - including Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby and others. All needed to scale a learning curve and endure some growing pains. Some completed the process more quickly than others. In the early stages of their careers they could all be accused of whining as well!

Officials also endure growing pains and learning curves in their development as well. I was a long way from possessing the maturity I now know is required to handle the pressure and abuse that often came my way. Unfortunately, when I was challenged on the ice, I did not always respond appropriately. I too had a lot to learn. The fact of the matter is that many young players whine. Grumpy veteran players can complain vehemently as well. Many nights Bill Guerin, when he was frustrated playing on some pretty bad NY Islander teams and Bernie Federko fell into that grumpy veteran category.

Heck, I had back-to-back games on consecutive nights with the St. Louis Blues when Federko was a star player for them. Bernie cursed at me going off the ice in St. Louis after the first game. He was the starting centre in Chicago the next night. After the anthem we assumed our position at centre ice and Bernie started cussing me out before I dropped the puck to start the game. I said, "Bernie, can you at least wait for me to drop the puck before you start whining?" Bernie, who now provides excellent insight as a television analyst with the Blues responded with, "Fraser why don't you just @#&*-off and drop the puck!" We were off to a great start that night at The Madhouse on Madison, much to the amusement of the Chicago starting centre.

Ray Whitney was always a fiery little guy and had a habit of flying off the handle quickly with me when things didn't go his way. That is until one night I got him laughing before the anthem was even sung. In a game a couple of nights earlier Ray gave it to me pretty good. I never knew whether to take him seriously or not because he was such a cute little twerp: you know, the kind you might place in your garden as a lawn ornament.

Well this particular night, I thought I'd get to him before he had the chance to give it to me. When the Hurricanes came onto the ice I blasted up to him and unloaded on him.

I said, "Whitney, you little @#&*#^&$$###@ twerp!" With a confused look on his face Whitney was taken aback and said, "Kerry, what's up with that?"

I replied, "After the last game, I just wanted to get you first." Whitney broke into a laugh. From that point forward it was a race to see who could dump on the other guy first whenever I worked one of his games. Whitney is an excellent player, a great goal scorer and really a good guy. I miss our unique interaction and when he officially retires I might try and get a life size statue of him for my garden.

Confrontations between players and officials can go astray but usually are forgotten. Todd, you asked if there was one time I regret saying something to a player that complained or whined to me. That player was Super Mario.
He was the savior of the franchise when Pittsburgh drafted him first overall in 1984. He was under a lot of pressure to lead his team out of the wilderness. The team put added pressure on him by naming him captain just two years later.

As an extremely skilled player, Mario was way ahead of the curve. He didn't have much patience for the clutch-and-grab style that prevailed at that time. And why should he? People pay money to see skill and grace, especially the type that Mario—and few other players of the time—possessed. Lemieux was a primary target of every restraining tactic utilized at the time and it caused Mario such frustration that he and I locked horn one night in his second year as captain.

Throughout the game, whenever he felt he was illegally handcuffed Mario gave me an earful. Finally he'd had enough and took matter into his own hands, delivering a two-handed slash to an opponent's leg. On the way to the penalty box, Mario chastised me for not calling the original penalty and stared daggers at me from the box. A power-play goal was scored and instead of skating to the Penguins bench, Mario headed directly to centre ice to confront me prior to the face-off. He tapped his stick on the ice at my feet in a mocking gesture and said, "Nice call."

At this point I'd had enough of Mario as well, and I unloaded on him verbally. I questioned his ability to be the captain of his team and that his teammates didn't even follow him. I pointed to Paul Coffey standing on the blue line and said, "If you want to know how to be a leader, take a look at that guy." Mario dropped his head and I dropped the puck. Who was I to question Lemieux and whether his teammates followed him as their leader?

Well it only took a couple of days later in a Pens game I had on Long Island for Mario to provide me with the answer. At the end of the first period, a scrum gathered. I blew my whistle loudly and instructed the players to break it up and go to their dressing rooms. They didn't respond, so I blew the whistle a second time, louder, and told them more intensely to break it up and get off the ice. They still weren't budging.

At this point, Mario skated in, looked down at me, and told his teammates, "C'mon, boys, let's go." They immediately obeyed the captain's command. As I stood there, I brushed away a feather from the side of my mouth from the crow I had just been fed by the captain of the Penguins.

In that moment, Mario was clearly in charge of his team, but more importantly, he let me know it. Mario was an incredible player. He saved that franchise on three occasions. Even as a second-year captain Lemieux deserved my utmost respect and an appropriate response to his complaining that night, neither of which I provided.

That, Todd, is why I deeply regret what I had to say to Mario Lemieux that night in the Igloo.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: GAME 7 MEANS PRESSURE ON OFFICIALS AS WELL

Kerry Fraser's Blog TSN 6/15/2011

Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca!

As both teams approach Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, a number of cliches can be used to describe the importance of this game, including, "There's no tomorrow; It's Do or Die; This game is for all the marbles..." The real heart of the matter, in my opinion, is the team that hoists the Cup tonight will ultimately be the group that collectively demonstrates the most heart (in addition to the odd break, lucky bounce or even a power play here or there.)

The events of this series have been more bizarre than any that I have witnessed during my 30 years as an NHL referee. I can't ever remember this kind of drama since I watched every Stanley Cup series as a fan from the time I was allowed to stay up past my normal bedtime either (Prior to that, I snuck my transistor radio with ear piece into bed to catch the end of the game).

Both teams are banged up and their rosters depleted through serious injuries and suspensions; perhaps the Canucks more than the Bruins. All things not being equal, this is when drastic times call for drastic measures. It will take heroic efforts from one or all to have their names etched forever on this Challis.

The kind of heroic feet (no pun intended) I'm talking about is the “heart” exhibited by Bobby Baun in the 1964 Stanley Cup Final. Baun blocked a Gordie Howe shot with 10 minutes remaining in game 6 and was carried off the ice on a stretcher. Refusing medical treatment he had the ankle frozen, taped and returned to score the game winner on a broken ankle in overtime to force Game 7. Bob Baun's heroism didn't just end with that victory. His job wasn't done and he refused to have the ankle x-rayed until after helping the Leafs win Game 7 and the Stanley Cup by a score of 4-0. Bob Baun didn't miss a shift in that final game. That's the kind of heart I'm talking about that will be required tonight. Whoever can dig the deepest and overcome this reservoir of pain will taste from the Cup. It's the Stanley Cup stuff heroes and legends are made of.

There will be a third team on the ice as well. Their deep desire is to avoid becoming (or perceived as) a negative factor in the outcome of this game. Added pressure will certainly be on them to achieve this objective given the events to this point in the series. How they prepare themselves (& are prepared by Officiating/Hockey Ops) will go a long way to achieving a successful result in their performance. I say with the utmost confidence that all of us hope the officials will be a non factor in this final game. Let me share some thoughts on my preparation and occasional obstacles to overcome in memorable game 7's that I worked.

Dealing with pressure is unique to every player and official; individual coping skills are developed along the way. Experience is often the best teacher when dealing with the internal combustion associated with the pressure of a Game 7. Sometimes you even have to incubate yourself from everything just so you don't crawl out of your skin prior to the game.

The first time that I was thrust into a Game 7 pressure cooker was in the Battle of Quebec in 1985. This was only the third time I had been assigned to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the first time I had been chosen to work Game Seven of a divisional final series. Needless to say I was pretty raw in terms of experience. I arrived in Montreal in the morning the day before the game and well in advance of my 10:00 P.M. curfew. There was nothing that matched the intense rivalry between these two franchises and their fans. I wanted to be well prepared!

As soon as I landed in Montreal and collected luggage, I noticed how intently I was being stared at by arriving passengers and airport workers. As I passed a skycap, I was greeted with a nod of the head along with “Bonne chance.” Once I hit the line for the taxis, it seemed that everyone I met, from the man who loaded my bags, to the cab driver, to the doorman at the hotel, to the front desk staff wanted to talk to me about the “big game”; even asking who I thought would win!

By the time that linesmen, John D'Amico and Ray Scapinello arrived that evening I had locked myself in my room and ordered room service. I couldn't even turn the television on without something popping up about the game. I told Scampy I'd see him for breakfast - I was in for the night.

I woke early with the sensation that something was crawling all over my body. Upon inspection, I discovered I was covered head to toe in big, red, itchy welts. At least they weren't on my face. I thought, What the hell is this? I was too embarrassed to mention it to anybody - let alone Referee in Chief, John McCauley. He might have thought he made the wrong choice in assigning this young referee to such a huge game. Instead I stayed covered up neck to toe and privately consulted the advice of a pharmacist after my lunch with the officiating crew. Eliminating a series of diagnostic questions he finally asked if I was nervous or anxious about anything. My Hell Yes I'm nervous, caused him to recommend an antihistamine for the serious case of hives that I had. I met up with the other guys and told them I would meet them at the Forum that night using the excuse that I had to get there early for some equipment repair. The truth is I didn't want to have to change in front of them. By the time Scamp and D'Amico arrived in the room, the red welts were totally concealed by my long underwear.

I attempted to calm my mind and focus in the room on what I had ahead of me in the game. As soon as I stepped on the ice, all was forgotten, other than the energy inside the Forum. It was an unbelievable, end-to-end game. Both teams came to play, and there was none of the rough stuff that we might have anticipated. At the end of regulation time, it was all tied up.

Once I dropped the puck it didn't take long for Peter Stastny to score on Steve Penney to give the Nordiques the series win in OT. Back in the dressing room I cautiously removed my long underwear, this time in front of my colleagues. To my pleasant surprise, the only thing I saw was my lily white skin. The pressure was off.

The experience I gained in this Game 7 assignment helped me through countless pivotal games and other Game 7s throughout the balance of my career.
I worked game seven in the 2001 Final between the New Jersey Devils and the Colorado Avalanche and I must tell you the city of Denver was electrified from the moment the sun came up that morning. The only minute of calm I found that day was at 8 a.m., when I went down to the Pepsi Center for a skate before the teams arrived. Most of the energy was created in anticipation of Raymond Bourque winning his first and only Stanley Cup.

My final Game 7 was the 2004 Tampa victory over Calgary that I wrote about the other day and touched on the bizarre circumstances that occurred behind the scenes in that one.

In spite of the pressure and energy that was created in Denver and Tampa, quite similar to that which I experienced in Montreal, my coping skills and approach to dealing with it had vastly improved. There were no red welts on my body beyond that May night in 1985. Instead of hiding in my room I went to morning mass before getting to the rink early for a skate; whether alone or with any of the officiating crew that wanted to join me. I looked for peaceful environments on the day of the game. I also drew on my internal engine to control my energy level, emotions and positive thoughts. The distractions must be blocked out for the players and the officials to embrace this moment in hockey history with excitement, all the while retaining a calm resolve and focus to achieve their maximum potential on the ice in this final game.

And in Vancouver, whether any of the officiating crew has red welts on their body or not, it is my hope that when the puck drops, any nervousness is forgotten and they simply react to what the players dictate by applying a consistent and acceptable standard from start to finish.

One way or the other, history will be made...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Stats interesting! Flames add research whiz

By Wes Gilbertson, QMI Agency, June 18 2011

Snow knows sports.

A former hockey and baseball reporter and now the Calgary Flames’ first-ever director of video and statistical analysis, Chris Snow just can’t tell you exactly how he develops all that knowledge.

Think of it as a form of sports espionage.

“I spent a lot of the year looking for a fit for myself with a team and probably came across a few teams that I sensed were doing some of this work,” Snow said. “But I think the teams that are making advancements in those areas are keeping it pretty quiet, because they view it as a potential advantage that they don’t want to advertise to other teams.”

At the Saddledome, the secret is out.

The 29-year-old research whiz was officially added to the Flames’ staff Friday morning, scoring a full-time gig after consulting for the team for about two months. According to Friday’s media release, Snow will be “responsible for the complete and comprehensive planning, implementation and oversight of the club’s video and statistical data-mining programs, including designing, developing and implementing a proprietary database of hockey information for use by the club.”

Snow spent four seasons as the Minnesota Wild’s director of hockey operations, but his fascination with stats can be traced to his days covering the Flames’ Northwest Division rivals for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. That only increased during his stint as a beat writer for the Boston Globe, where Snow reported on Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox.

At that time, he got a sneak-peek of the cutting-edge research techniques BoSox GM Theo Epstein, former assistant and current San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer and others were using at Fenway Park.

“(The Red Sox) were really implementing a pretty impressive process in the way they went about things — gathering information, utilizing video, just putting as much in front of them in the decision-making process as possible, while having a terrific group of scouts,” Snow said. “I was just intrigued by that, and I think, over time, as I got closer to watching it, I really had a desire to participate in something like that.

“I think the Red Sox have every component of a strong organization that you could want — excellent scouting, excellent player development, and they devote a lot of resources to data and video. In fact, I think they have probably the largest library of data and video, and they have it going back so many years and more years than any other team.

“It’s valuable because some of their players are really oriented to that type of stuff, and it’s valuable because they have members of the coaching staff and front office that want that. It can get overwhelming, but I think they utilize it well because they really know what they’re looking for.”

With that in mind, it will be up to Flames GM Jay Feaster, head coach Brent Sutter and other brass at the Saddledome to tell Snow the type of numbers and video analysis they’re interested in.

“My belief is the more information that you put into your decision-making process and your game-planning process — assuming that it’s gathered accurately, it’s organized well and it’s presented in a concise manner to a decision-maker like Jay or Brent — hopefully, they’ll be better-equipped to do their jobs,” Snow said. “But the value will only be as great as their desire to have it and their participation in shaping it. A lot of my role will be listening to Jay and listening to Brent and all of the people across the hockey operations process, and listening for gaps in the process and places I can help, and then going and finding something and bringing it back to them.”
-----

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20110617_182936_13332

I just read Scorecasting and have read Money Ball. I bet more teams will add this kind of analysis. When Tom Renney was with the Rangers, he told me they were working on a secret method to help improve their draft choices. It was based on statistics. It would be interesting to know if they are still using this technique and then see how they have fared with their picks.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I know this is a hockey site, but I believe the hockey model in Canada could use some improvements. Soccer is the #1 sport in our country and growing much more rapidly. Hockey has plateaued and registration numbers are down. Wake up hockey!

-----

In a hockey city, soccer scores

In our hockey-obsessed nation, soccer has quietly become the most played sport in the country. In Calgary, soccer participation has been growing so quickly that it's becoming a victim of its own success.

By Sean Myers, Calgary Herald June 19, 2011

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/hockey+city+soccer+scores/4971134/story.html#ixzz1Pk3KCaCm

When Lia Lousier and husband Michael Hicks decided to start their two boys Torin, 6, and Rylan, 4, in organized sports, they considered hockey, but hesitated.

Torin is autistic and Rylan is still young. And they worried hockey might be too expensive and time consuming. Both parents played soccer as kids, and thought it might be a good first exposure to team sports.

Nobody batted an eye at signing both boys up. Today, Torin is playing alongside his brother on the roster of the under-six Orange Tigers in the community league run by McKnight Sport Council.

"The coaches have been great with him, running up and down the field with him," she said of Torin. And for Rylan? "He really enjoys it and I think for him it's something he'll carry through for a number of years."

The couple is among the growing number of Calgarians becoming deeply involved in soccer. In a nation obsessed with hockey -enough to spark a riot in Vancouver -soccer has quietly become the most played sport in Canada. Fuelled by its accessibility, low cost and universality, and given new dimensions by multicultural immigration from soccer-loving nations, Canada has become a participatory soccer nation.

In Calgary, the pace of soccer's growth over the past decade has been breakneck and, despite some growing pains, the sport's popularity will likely keep climbing.

Nationwide, soccer now far surpasses hockey or any other sport for participation. Last summer, 847,616 soccer players of all ages and abilities registered to play in a league, according to the Canadian Soccer Association, compared to 572,411 Canadians registered to play hockey in the 2010-11 season, from the youngest tykes through minor associations, postsecondary and senior and recreation leagues.

During the recent boom in Calgary, soccer registration increased by as much as 20 per cent annually. Now it's going up at about the same rate as population growth.

Today, about 15,000 kids are signed up for minor soccer and another 15,000 in community soccer leagues. In total, an estimated 109,000 Calgarians take part in soccer as players, coaches and referees, including house leagues, high school teams and various independent organizations such as the city's Chinese Soccer Association.

At the same time, minor hockey registration has plateaued at about 13,000 over the past four years, according to Hockey Canada.

Part of that growth has come from new Canadians, who bring with them a love of soccer from all over the world.

Organizers with the Calgary Minor Soccer Association, however, are still reaching out to new immigrants and Muslims who are underepresented in Calgary's soccer leagues.

One of those initiatives is enlisting a multilingual Muslim family in Taravista to help break down barriers

"Overall in the minorities, soccer is loved. Regardless of where they come from, they truly do love the sport," said Khalil Karbani, vice-president of the Genesis Centre, an athletic facility currently under construction in the northeast.

"They play soccer on the street and on any bit of green space they can find up here."

But he and his wife Noshy, and their four soccer-playing children, said families have shied away from registering their kids to play community and minor league soccer, especially the girls. They attribute that reluctance to an incident in 2007 at the Calgary Soccer Centre involving a girl who was told by a referee she couldn't play unless she took off her hijab head covering. She refused and the aftermath gained widespread media attention.

The Alberta Soccer Association later ruled that girls could wear sport hijabs as long as they could come off easily for safety reasons.

FIFA rules also allow long pants and long sleeve tops to be worn for religious reasons, but the Karbanis say that isn't widely known in the immigrant and Muslim communities.

The Karbani family plans to visit schools to spread the word through the communities in the northeast encouraging kids to sign up for teams and soccer clinics.

"We're trying to gradually get them to get back into it and say, 'yes you can wear a hijab,' " said Karbani. "You can wear your lose clothes and still be able to play football, get healthy, get fit and enjoy yourself."

Daryl Leinweber, executive director of the Calgary Minor Soccer Association, said he actively sought help to reach out to families of visible minorities who aren't signing up to play.

"If you can find people that speak the language and that can identify with the culture to become a support of your sport, that's key," said Leinweber. "We found that with this family. They're terrific ambassadors for us.

"Our objective is to find ways for kids to be able to play not find ways to stop them. So we make every effort we can to be inclusive to find a way so every child can play."

Soccer in the city has also become a victim of its own success. A lack of playing fields is limiting growth.

"Soccer has participation well beyond any other sport," said Leinweber. "If we had the facilities we'd see even more of this growth within the sport."

In 2008, Sport Calgary (formerly the Calgary Sport Council) put out a 10-year strategic plan for developing new athletic facilities. It identified a serious deficit in the number of facilities compared to participants.

Since then, $300 million in provincial funding has poured into the city, largely for hockey arena projects. The money also supported two outdoor artificial turfs at Shouldice Park, and about $70 million is going toward the Genesis Centre which will include three new indoor fields and two outdoor soccer pitches.

The city lost three indoor fields when the bubble collapsed at the Calgary Soccer Centre last year, but those are to be replaced under a new permanent structure to be built at the site.

"We're making some strides to catch up," said Tim Bjornson, executive director of Sport Calgary. "When you look at the top 13 sport activities, the majority are summer activities.

"Things are happening but our investment in sport and recreation infrastructure has to be on a continual basis or we'll never catch up."

A major difference between the demographics of soccer and hockey also has an impact on facilities, said Bjornson.

There are far more adults playing hockey who require higher quality facilities, while 80 per cent of soccer players are youth and the majority of those are under 14, he said.

"They don't need as high-level facilities," said Bjornson. "A lot of the growth in soccer has been in that community soccer range with under-eight, under-six and under-four. They just need a field that is safe to play on, they don't need artificial turf. You have to ask what level of facility do you really need to participate.

"But soccer has been growing, there's no doubt about that, and there are demands there."

Calgary Minor Soccer has placed an emphasis on improving coaching at the earliest ages to improve the skill level of young players. Better skilled players stay in the game longer said Leinweber, meaning better facilities are going to be needed in the short and long term.

For parents, the biggest and most obvious advantage soccer has over hockey is financial. It can cost a minimum of $1,000 for a set of hockey equipment that will have to be replaced several times as the player grows.

Soccer requires a pair of shin pads and cleats.

"We don't consider hockey for the cost," said Kristen Dawson, who has a seven-year-old daughter and five-year-old son playing on the same under-six team in the McKnight community league.

"It's too expensive -the equipment, ice time, and then there's all the volunteer time, it's so involved.

"This is something you can pick up. It's within the community, we enjoy it. They do it twice a week, they get to run, it's great."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/hockey+city+soccer+scores/4971134/story.html#ixzz1Pk2lMM8Z

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Bodychecking earlier shows no safety benefit

CBC News June 20, 2011

Learning to bodycheck at a younger age doesn't seem to reduce concussion and other injury rates, Canadian researchers say.

There is a controversial school of thought that kids will be less likely to get injured when they start checking at age 11 or peewee compared with age 13 or bantam.

Previously, Dr. Carolyn Emery of the University of Calgary faculty of kinesiology and her colleagues found a three-fold increase in risk of injury in Alberta, where bodychecking is allowed in peewee leagues, and a four-fold increased risk of concussion, compared with bantam players in Quebec.

"When we did that study, we repeatedly heard from advocates for bodychecking in peewee that the injury rate in bantam would be much higher for players without peewee bodychecking experience," said Emery.

"What we found is that the overall injury and concussion risk did not differ between bantam leagues."

In Monday's issue of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, Emery and her co-authors compared injury rates for 995 players in Alberta with two years of bodychecking experience and 976 novice bodycheckers in Quebec.

There were 272 injuries, including 51 concussions in Alberta and 244 injuries including 49 concussions in Quebec. Physiotherapists and athletic therapists assessed the injuries.

Concussion risk

Emery said that this could be related to skills learned in a peewee bodychecking league, or could simply be that the Alberta League has more players who didn't drop out of hockey after bodychecking was introduced in peewee hockey.

The latest findings also suggested the risk of injury resulting in more than seven days before return to play was reduced by 0.67 times among bantam players who had two years of bodychecking experience compared with bantam players who were first introduced to it at age 13.

The finding needs to be interpreted in light of the higher risk of concussion and all injury among players who are 11 to 12 when bodychecking is first allowed, the researchers said.

"Consideration should be given also to the age at which a player is able to make an informed decision about playing under these conditions of increased risk, perhaps after they have finished a critical physical growth period that could be focused on skill development," the study's authors suggested.

Researchers from Laval University, the Jewish General Hospital, McGill University and the Alberta Children's Hospital also took part in the study.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/rapidpdf/cmaj.110634v1
-----

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/02/17/f-concussions-what-they-are-faq.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/02/16/f-g-force-concussions.html

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 9 of 45