Topic Review
By: Likes:

Guys,

I will be running my first summer Power Skating and Stickhandling program .
It will be mostly younger kids with a few older players.
The older players will be used at the beginning of each line as a visual learning tool for yonger players.As mentioned in the Talent Code many hotbeds for talent work this way. This will be slowed down with exagerated moves out of their comfort zone.
This site has great video's from the A200 formation with a few pro players.

I have been putting together short video clips on the stride mechanics and stickhandling to show the players.
How many coaches use video on the ice as a learning tool?
Thoughts on this or suggestions?

Thanks
RK
----------------------
RK, I do quite a bit of stuff with ex NHLer Morris Lukowich and he uses Coaches Eye which is an app on the Iphone or pad where you can analyze a players technique while on the ice and send them the video after.

Stickhandle puck while kicking a soccer ball.

Putting the puck between your legs while stickhandling.

-------------------------------------------------------

Great ideas.

Chatty

Quote by: TomM

Great idea Kai. I am sitting in a hotel room in New York waiting for my wife and son to wake up. All of the walking yesterday must have tired them out.

Daniel Coyle wrote another book called 'The Little Book of Talent' where he condenses everything about the centre's that produce champions.

I want to set up a 'Mission Impossible' circuit where the players go from one station to the next and do activities like you suggest and if they fail they have to return to the station they started at to move on. Possible ideas are to score on a breakaway, saucer pass over something to a target. If you have more suggestions I would love to hear them.

Have you tried the videos from this site on your smart phone. I am wondering if they run well in Finland.

I brought my wife to NY instead of going to Stockholm for the coaching conference. We picked up our son in Toronto and brought him here as a graduation from university present.

Here's a few I came up with

• Bounce a puck on our stick blade X times/ distance
  • Bounce a puck on our stick blade and drop it into bucket that's a few meters away
  • Stickhandle multiple pucks skating forwards / backwards
  • Deflect pucks from air to net forehand/backhand
  • Stop high saucer passes from air with your stick

Kai

Great idea Kai. I am sitting in a hotel room in New York waiting for my wife and son to wake up. All of the walking yesterday must have tired them out.

Daniel Coyle wrote another book called 'The Little Book of Talent' where he condenses everything about the centre's that produce champions.

I want to set up a 'Mission Impossible' circuit where the players go from one station to the next and do activities like you suggest and if they fail they have to return to the station they started at to move on. Possible ideas are to score on a breakaway, saucer pass over something to a target. If you have more suggestions I would love to hear them.

Have you tried the videos from this site on your smart phone. I am wondering if they run well in Finland.

I brought my wife to NY instead of going to Stockholm for the coaching conference. We picked up our son in Toronto and brought him here as a graduation from university present.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I love the Mission Impossible circuit idea. Love the breakaway as the last station, and the saucer pass is good, I like to start with " Quick Hands" where the players stickhandle through 6-8 pucks. They have to start over if they hit any of the pucks.

Keep the ideas coming...this could be good.

Chatty

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Quote by: peter

Recently finished reading the Talent Code, and love the idea of deep practice. My 8 year old son is in his second year Novice, and loves to practice, and talk hockey. So the two off us decided to practice his wrist shot in the garage, the plan is to take 100 shots a night.

My thought on how to make this DEEP PRACTICE was to have him aim at the 5 hole on his shooting tarp, the 5 hole in this tarp is really small, so he will try a task, fail, learn, adjust, and then repeat. Well this DEEP PRACTICE is really working.

First night he was able to get 3 pucks out of 100 through the 5 hole, now as I said the hole is really quite small, and was just missing on most of his shots.

2nd Night 4 out off100

3rd Night 11 out off 100

4th Night 13 out off 100

5th Night 15 out off 100

6th Night 22 out off 100!!

Thank you Tom for suggesting this book.
---------------------------
Peter, it sounds like a good example of deep practice.
Tom

I watched documentary about Finnish soccer player Jari Litmanen. He used to stay on the field after practices and practice shooting. He took ten balls and tryed to shoot all ten balls e.g. to top left corner. If he got 3 first and missed 4ht he would start from the beginning and do this as long as he got all the 10 balls in a row to the top left corner. I think this is also a good example about deep practice.

So we modified the idea little and we came up with a skills game for our morning skills practice: Group of players each of them with e.g. 5 pucks. one of the players calls the spot where to shoot. First one to shoot all the five in a row to the target spot wins ( if you miss you have to start from the beginning).

Kai

Recently finished reading the Talent Code, and love the idea of deep practice. My 8 year old son is in his second year Novice, and loves to practice, and talk hockey. So the two off us decided to practice his wrist shot in the garage, the plan is to take 100 shots a night.

My thought on how to make this DEEP PRACTICE was to have him aim at the 5 hole on his shooting tarp, the 5 hole in this tarp is really small, so he will try a task, fail, learn, adjust, and then repeat. Well this DEEP PRACTICE is really working.

First night he was able to get 3 pucks out of 100 through the 5 hole, now as I said the hole is really quite small, and was just missing on most of his shots.

2nd Night 4 out off100

3rd Night 11 out off 100

4th Night 13 out off 100

5th Night 15 out off 100

6th Night 22 out off 100!!

Thank you Tom for suggesting this book.
---------------------------
Peter, it sounds like a good example of deep practice.
Tom

Chatty

Peter this is a really good clip about what 'deep practice' is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8x2-OyZz4A&feature=related Daniel Coyle is being interviewed and they go to some of the talent hotbeds to demonstrate this method of practice.

----------------------
Very interesting. I love being a coach.

Chatty

Peter this is a really good clip about what 'deep practice' is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8x2-OyZz4A&feature=related Daniel Coyle is being interviewed and they go to some of the talent hotbeds to demonstrate this method of practice.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Quote by: peter

I’m just starting to read The Talent Code, but have read a lot of comments about the book. Love the idea about DEEP PRACTICE, and would like to set up drills to accomplish this, but not sure on how to do this. I like to use the following drills in my Novice hockey practices, and feel these do relate to Deep Practice: Would love to hear comments.

Cross Ice 2-2, 3-3, or 4-4 is the equivalent to Futsal, making and correcting errors, lots of puck touches.

2 – 2 Keep away – same reasons as the cross ice.

Circle Monkey in the Middle - 1 or 2 players in the middle of a faceoff circle, 4 to 5 players making one touch passes through the circle. Start with the players in the circle without sticks.

Target Shots - Have the players aim at targets on the boards, kids are really focused to hit the targets. Targets can get smaller as the players get better.

Quick Hands – Players stickhandle through pucks that are spaced out 1.5 feet apart, they see their mistakes when they hit a puck.

I am thinking about doing time trials with the kids for quick turns, and any puck control circuits???
In this way the kids will work on beating their best time. Is this something that coaches in hockey do? Do you guys think this makes sense?
--------------------------------------------
Peter good to see you taking part in the forum.
I think all of the ideas above are good practice activities. If the players focus and work on correcting any mistake they make right away then it is deep practice. So trying, failing, trying to correct the mistake, failing again, modifying what you are doing to correct the mistake is deep practice.

Do things really well before focusing on speed. If they are competent at a skill then do time trials as it is a way to set up deep practice at going full speed.
Tom

------------------------------------------
Thank you Tom, love your ideas.

Chatty

I’m just starting to read The Talent Code, but have read a lot of comments about the book. Love the idea about DEEP PRACTICE, and would like to set up drills to accomplish this, but not sure on how to do this. I like to use the following drills in my Novice hockey practices, and feel these do relate to Deep Practice: Would love to hear comments.

Cross Ice 2-2, 3-3, or 4-4 is the equivalent to Futsal, making and correcting errors, lots of puck touches.

2 – 2 Keep away – same reasons as the cross ice.

Circle Monkey in the Middle - 1 or 2 players in the middle of a faceoff circle, 4 to 5 players making one touch passes through the circle. Start with the players in the circle without sticks.

Target Shots - Have the players aim at targets on the boards, kids are really focused to hit the targets. Targets can get smaller as the players get better.

Quick Hands – Players stickhandle through pucks that are spaced out 1.5 feet apart, they see their mistakes when they hit a puck.

I am thinking about doing time trials with the kids for quick turns, and any puck control circuits???
In this way the kids will work on beating their best time. Is this something that coaches in hockey do? Do you guys think this makes sense?
--------------------------------------------
Peter good to see you taking part in the forum.
I think all of the ideas above are good practice activities. If the players focus and work on correcting any mistake they make right away then it is deep practice. So trying, failing, trying to correct the mistake, failing again, modifying what you are doing to correct the mistake is deep practice.

Do things really well before focusing on speed. If they are competent at a skill then do time trials as it is a way to set up deep practice at going full speed.
Tom

Chatty

This is from one of the best all around Conditioning Coaches in the business. A great blog to follow on Twitter or Google Reader. Lists three books on talent development.

http://www.functionalpathtrainingblog.com/2012/10/talent-development-skill-learning.html

Tom and all coaches,

How many coaches have had the chance to read The Little Book of Talent by Daniel Coyle ?

If you have read the book .

Is there one tip, or tip number, that really hits home for you as a coach ?

Without giving to much of the book away.

Great read . Tom you must be on your forth time reading it by now ?

RookieCoach
------------------------------------------
Rookie CoachI love the book but especially the part that defines hard and soft skills and then the best ways to practice them.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I've been quite busy with coaching these few months. I'm assistant coach in U20 team that plays in Finnish U20 Championship league.
But I'll try to bee more active with the forum in future.

----------------------------------
Kai, it sounds like you are really busy. I look forward to your input from the OTHER side of the ocean.
Tom
---------------------------------------------

Kai

I really enjoy the "Little Book of Talent' and am going through it for the third time.

This discussion board now has NO discussion. Dean doesn't post anymore. Haven't heard from Kai in months. Rookie Coach a few postings.

It appears by the hit count that lots of coaches come here 24/7 but no one posts comments, questions, drills or anything.

It is like I am doing a silent hockey class with no feedback.

I will continue because it makes me try to get better all the time but I invite some feedback.

OK

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Tom,
"The Talent Code "was a great read. So good I went over it a second time.

Just received the small hard cover book "The Little Book of Talent" in the mail. After reading the first book I had to read this book.also.

RookieCoach

I am halfway through re-reading this small book. I have it online and Dan Coyle had Random Houxe send me a complimentary copy.

I am going to suggest that All of my Players AND their Parents read this book.

There is a good focus on How you can become very good with Deep Practice.

Interesting differentiation between Hard and Soft skills.

Hard skills are technique that use mechanically efficient movements and they must be exact and become movement patterns.

Soft skills are the game reading and creative skills and they must be learned by Playing and recongnizing patterns and the Read -Recognize - React as opposed to Dave KIng's Read and React. Shrink the space and play lots of games.

Limit practicing to 'Only on Days that you Eat'.

I am talking about lots of games for the next few days in the Daily Drill section .

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn something

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

I read the digital copy of "The Little Book of Talent" and really enjoyed it.

It is a quick reference book to 52 important points about coaching or teaching a person or a group on how to focus and how to practice to become very good at whatever a person wants to become good at.

I really enjoyed it and will keep my reader close by so I can refer to it during the season.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

I got this email from Daniel Coyle, the author of The Talent Code. He has written a new book called 'The Little Book of Talent". The email is about the book.
I got the ebook version and have been reading it. It is very concise and I think it is a great too for coaches, teachers, parents and in general all human beings. So if you are in one of these categories I recommend it.
I pasted Dan's email below.
---------------------------------------------------
Hi everybody,

I want to tell you that I've got a new book coming out this week. It's called The Little Book of Talent. Here are the basics:

1) It's a manual for improving skills: 52 simple, proven tips for getting better at sports, music, art, and business. Think of it as the practical-minded companion to The Talent Code. A coach that fits in your pocket.

2) The tips are taken from the talent hotbeds I've been visiting for the past five years: top music academies, sports teams, the Navy SEALs, Olympic training centers, and world-class businesses and schools.

3) We've been lucky enough to receive some good early reviews and kind words, such as:

"This book should be given to every graduate at commencement, every new parent in a delivery room, every executive on the first day of work. It is a guidebook -- beautiful in its simplicity and backed by hard science -- for nurturing excellence." - Charles Duhigg, author of The Power of Habit.

"It's so juvenile to throw around hyperbolic terms such as 'life-changing,' but there's no other way to describe The Little Book of Talent. I was trying new things within the first half hour of reading it and haven't stopped since. Brilliant. And yes, life-changing." - Tom Peters, co-author of In Search of Excellence.

4) I'm eager to get your reaction. If you want to learn more, check out my blog at thetalentcode.com. And here's the Amazon link.

Thanks,

Dan

PS - here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0JtjasYCU

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

There are some great videos here... Nike Soccer / Joga Bonito (a campaign launched in 2006). I have been using these videos as part of my teaching and coaching toolbox.

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2006/nike-football-joga-bonito/

I particularly like this one: http://youtu.be/NQxlnd-DK8I as it provides many examples of skill, creativity and passion as the players prepare for a game.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

When I first saw this pre gram warm up a few months ago, the first thing I thought of was the game botchgo that Tom mentioned many times before on his old site. It is so simple but the one touch passing generates so much thought and awareness on participants that there is no way to go through this game without 100% dedication on everyone involved.

Such a great game

What World-Class Practice Looks Like, Part 2

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, July 17th, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RNfaIW5k1g&feature=player_embedded

One of the beautiful things about great practice is how simple it is.

This is especially true with soft skills — those improvisatory skills of reading patterns and reacting instantly to them — which show up so often in team sports and the creative arts.

Check out this video of Barcelona (aka the world’s best soccer team over the past four years) as they do their regular one-touch keep-away workout, which is called rondo.

Here’s what I like about it:

1) It generates reps of the key skills (anticipation, quick, accurate decisions under pressure), over and over.

2) It’s played with 100 percent maximum intensity.

3) It’s really fun/addictive — check out those smiles and laughs at the end.

Xavi, Barca’s midfielder, says: ”It’s all about rondos. Rondo, rondo, rondo. Every. Single. Day. It’s the best exercise there is. You learn responsibility and not to lose the ball. If you lose the ball, you go in the middle. Pum-pum-pum-pum, always one touch. If you go in the middle, it’s humiliating, the rest applaud and laugh at you.”

For this team, rondo isn’t a mere drill. It’s more like their identity.

To me, the truly interesting question is this: How do you create a culture in which this little game — not ego, not showing off, not even scoring goals — becomes the most important and valued part?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

How the Best Teachers Begin Their Lessons

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, July 11th, 2012

Quick question for coaches and teachers: What’s the single most important moment of a lesson? Is it:

(A) the initial explanation of the skill being taught?
(B) the first couple tries?
(C) the moment things click, when the learner “gets it”?

I think the answer is (D) — None of the Above.

There’s a strong case to be made that the single most important moment of learning happens before the lesson actually begins.

We know that master coaches are extremely skilled at quickly making a strong emotional connection with a learner, to create the bond of trust that’s the foundation of all learning.

But mere emotional connection isn’t enough. The world is filled with extremely charismatic, fantastically entertaining teachers who are wonderful at creating connection but not so great at actually improving skill.

Because it’s not enough just to capture the learner’s attention — you have to create intention: an urgent desire to work hard toward a concrete goal, toward some vision of their future self.

Science is giving us a peek inside that process. A group of researchers at Case Western were able to look at the brains of learners in two conditions. In the first, the coach was judgmental, and focused on negatives and the past. In the second, the coach was empathetic, and focused on the future.

http://blog.case.edu/think/2010/11/15/coaching_with_compassion_can_alight_upa_human_thoughts

With the judgmental coach, the visual cortex showed limited activity. With the positive, future-oriented coach, however, it lit up like a Christmas tree. The researchers concluded that this correlated with someone imagining their future.

The takeaway: when it comes to learning, brains work exactly like flashlights. It’s not enough just to turn them on; they have to be pointed toward a target.

A few simple ways to do this:

Encourage expression about future goals. Where do they want to be a month from now? A year? Five years?
Ruthlessly eliminate negative statements — especially judgements — that cause brains to shut down.
Count down until some Big Future Event. How many practices do we have left until the tournament? How many more lessons until the recital? A calendar with Xs is a powerful tool.

How else? What other tips do you have for clicking on those flashlights?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

How to Fix a Slump

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, July 1st, 2012

Ever see this diagram? (It’s from comedian Demetri Martin.)

I like this, because I think it’s true. From the outside, success looks like effortless progress; from the inside, we discover the journey is a lot more complicated. In fact, the most interesting part of the line is where it turns sharply downward, into one of those nasty-looking tangles where progress stops, development stalls, and frustration rises. It raises an interesting question:

What’s the best way to fix a slump?

Normally, when we hit a slump, we experience an overwhelming instinct to ignore it — to shut our eyes and just try harder, and hope things change. That makes sense — and it feels satisfying. But is it the best way?

We find an interesting case study from Andrew McCutchen, the Pittsburgh Pirates centerfielder. Drafted in 2005, McCutchen was a can’t-miss prospect, a first-round pick who performed outstandingly well for two years in the Pirates minor leagues — until, suddenly, he hit a dry spell. He stopped hitting. His average dropped to a puny .189. This was it: McCutchen’s slump, his crisis; his line was headed straight for the basement.

In this case, the Pirates organization used a surprising strategy. When McCutchen hit his downturn, they flew hitting coach Gregg Ritchie to visit him. Ritchie carried a piece of paper: a print-out of McCutchen’s hitting flaws — specific, targeted problems with his swing mechanics that Ritchie had noted a year and a half earlier.

Until that moment, McCutchen didn’t know the list existed.
But now, working with Ritchie, he used this list of flaws like a blueprint. He lowered his hand position; he shifted his weight — together, player and coach fixed his swing. And it worked: McCutchen got out of his slump, and kept moving up. He’s now an All-Star.

I like this story because I think it gives us insight into how to best handle these downturn moments. We instinctively want to do it alone; to lift ourselves back on that upward track out of sheer will.

But what works better is to approach the slump more like a science problem. Cool off the emotion. Collaborate and gather information. Figure out the shortcoming, and start re-wiring the improvement. In a word, be agile.

I also like it because it shows the importance of organizational agility.
The Pirates handled this well, because they understood when to make the intervention. Coach Ritchie knew all along McCutchen’s swing had potential problems, but he didn’t try to fix those problems early on because his swing was working (as McCutchen said, if coaches had tried to correct him, he would have ignored them — and rightly so). No, the Pirates wisely waited until the the problem arose — until they had McCutchen’s full and desperate attention. Then, together, they went to work and built a better swing.

Fixing slumps is not about solo strength. It’s about group agility.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Introducing Your Talent-Tip Hall of Fame

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code Blog, June 12th, 2012

We just arrived in Alaska, where we’re spending a big chunk of the summer. So far, everything’s going well: family and friends are healthy, weather’s been solid, and during this morning’s coffee, we had an official welcoming committee: a newborn moose calf and its mother ambling through the backyard.

Speaking of arrivals, it’s exactly 10 weeks until The Little Book of Talent publication date (August 21). As a way of marking the countdown, I’d like to update one of my favorite posts from about a year and a half ago, when I asked you readers to name the single best tip — the best advice, the best strategy, the best practice tool — they’ve ever received.

Your responses (all 71 of them) were terrific — so terrific, in fact, that it seems a shame to let them be buried in the comments section of the old post. So with that in mind, I’ve combed through the tips and selected my top four favorites.

1) Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast (from Greg Sumpter)

I think we typically want to learn a skill as quickly as possible, and be done with learning it. If we could only slow down, break things down into small reproducible parts, and excel in a smoother way, we would get to the end product with excellence much more quickly.

Why I like it: Because it keeps me focused on what really counts: being accurate and efficient, and letting the speed come later.

2) Start with the End in Mind (Bill Dorenkott, Head Coach of Ohio State Women’s Swim Team)

My 20-minute drive to work allows me quiet time to employ this rule for my day, week and season. I find it much easier to reverse-engineer a challenge than to fly by the seat of my pants.

Why I like it: Because there’s a huge gap between mere activity and targeted work; this saves me time.

3) Cultivate Awareness (Kent Bassett)

Instead of engaging in a running commentary about all the mistakes to avoid, and keeping a list of all the mistakes made, you should cultivate awareness. It fires the more unconscious, creative part of the mind. You can even say to yourself, “I’m going to play this passage, and I’m not going to try to avoid mistakes. I might even try to make mistakes.” This counter-intuitive technique allows you to play more freely, and often, with fewer mistakes.

Why I like it: Because rather than getting governed by your mistakes (always a danger), this helps you focus on mastering them.

4) Feel pain, not hurt (Markus)

Feeling pain is a signal of growing and improving. [Feeling] hurt is a signal of stop which pause the flow of skill development.

Why I like it: Because it makes clear the useful distinction between good pain (stretch, struggle, reach) and bad pain (ouch).

What I really like, however, is the idea that this master list of talent-development tips exists, and that we can make it even more useful by sharing it and adding to it as time goes on. So with that in mind, here’s the entire list http://thetalentcode.com/2011/04/03/a-sneak-preview-and-a-question/comment-page-1/#comments, along with a question: what are your favorites? What new tips need to be added?

-----

Dan is sending me a copy of his new book prior to release date, for me to preview. I will post my thoughts once I receive it. Looking forward to it!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

What’s Your Coaching-Thought?

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code Blog, June 8th, 2012

One strategy I’ve always found useful is the “swing-thought.” The term originates with golf; it refers to focusing on a single idea as you swing the club.

For example, one swing-thought might be SMOOOOTH. Or ROLL WRISTS. A good swing-thought works because it un-clutters the mind, clarifies focus, and captures the essence of your best performance.

Which makes me wonder: do the best coaches and teachers have the equivalent of swing-thoughts as they work? Are there key ideas coaches can use in the moment of teaching to help them coach better?

Based on my observations, I’d say that most master coaches have three distinct coaching-thoughts.

The first is CONNECT. They create a personal link; they use their interpersonal skills to capture the spotlight of the learner’s attention. Until that’s achieved, nothing useful can happen.

The second coaching-thought is ASK. The coach puts forth a task — it could be doing a drill or playing a song, or trying something new — it doesn’t really matter what it is, so long as the task 1) is unmistakably clear; 2) puts the learner on the edge of their ability (which is to say, it’s neither too hard nor too easy).

The third is RESPOND. The coach perceives what the learner is doing, and uses it to generate the next task. The next task might be more difficult, or it might be easier — all that matters is that it helps the learner navigate closer to the goal of proficiency.

Connect. Ask. Respond. This process isn’t a lecture from a podium. It’s more like a personal conversation that happens on the edge of the learner’s abilities.

When I coach, I find it useful to visualize what’s happening inside the learner’s brain: to picture the wires glowing, trying to connect, the new circuitry forming through each repetition. I know, it sounds sort of science-fiction-ish, but it works for me because it helps focus on the underlying process. Mistakes aren’t verdicts; they’re pieces of information you use to build the right connections.

Next question for you coaches and teachers: what images and ideas are going through your mind as you work? Are there any useful “coaching-thoughts” you’d like to share?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

What Does Great Practice Feel Like?

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, May 31st, 2012

What’s the best deep practice made of? Novak Djokovic, top-ranked player in the world, gives us a peek at his recipe. (Skip to 1:05 for the best moments.) It includes:

1) Intensity: full-effort reaching, clear results, quality feedback.

2) Smallness: it focuses only on a few targeted qualities — for instance, improving touch, and the ability to disguise shots.

3) Game-ishness: this is no boring drill. It’s the opposite — a thrilling, absorbing, emotion-generating game (as the ending shows).

http://youtu.be/XJ3YXVholE8

The next question: is there a math-class version of this? A music-lesson version? A software-coding version?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

How to Build Resilience

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, May 29th, 2012

No matter what talent you’re building, resilience is a big factor; perhaps the factor. Defined as the ability to recover from adversity; resilience is the ultimate killer app because it allows us to adapt, to learn, to turn setbacks into progress.

The mystery is, where does it come from? How is it developed? And perhaps most important, is it possible to teach?

One useful way to think about resilience is to think of it as the skill of controlling your emotions in negative situations. In this view, negative emotions are “hot” — they cause the brain to spark and short-circuit, they cause performance and confidence to dissolve in a cascade of doubt and judgement. Resilience is the skill of cooling those “hot” emotions and reinterpreting setbacks in a positive, future-oriented light.

We normally think of resilience as a response. The surprising thing about resilience, however, is that the most important moment comes before the negative event — it’s pre-silience. Studies show that resilient people start controlling their emotions before the stressful events begin. In other words, resilient brains function sort of like smart thermostats; even before the emotional heat arrives, they provide an anticipatory burst of cool, calm control.

Check out this study about Navy SEALs

http://blog.usnavyseals.com/2012/03/navy-seals-found-to-handle-stress-better.html

who were found to anticipate negative events by activating their emotional-control centers — in other words, before they encounter the negative event, their brains are already in calm-down mode.

The other interesting thing is that it seems this ability can be grown through practice. For instance, professional musicians who are preparing for a major performance will often pre-create, as closely as possible, the performance conditions, right down to the time of day, the clothes they’ll wear, the chair they’ll use.

NFL kickers like Billy Cundiff of the Ravens, who use bio-feedback devices

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7649003/nfl-science-why-ravens-kicker-billy-cundiff-choked-afc-championship-game-espn-magazine

to help teach them to regulate their stress levels in pressure situations.

Then there’s the wonderful example of Susan Cain,

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/books/review/how-the-author-of-quiet-delivered-a-rousing-speech.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

an introvert (and author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking)

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352145/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338259959&sr=1-1

who had to face her worst fear: giving a speech in front of a huge audience. (Long story short: she got coached, did nothing but rehearse for a solid week, and nailed it.)

They are all being pre-silient: creating the pressurized situation, over and over, to teach their brain to calm itself at the right moments. In this way of thinking, practicing resilience is not that different from practicing a golf swing. The keys are:

1) Pre-create the stressful situation. It’s not enough to imagine it vaguely — try to get every detail. Ideally, duplicate the atmosphere; if not, imagine it as vividly as possible: a golfer or musician might imagine the uneasy rustling of the crowd; a CEO might imagine the hush of an expectant boardroom.

2) No stopping allowed. Once the “performance” starts, you can’t give yourself an exit door; you need to endure it completely, get to the other side of it.

3) Repeat. Then repeat again. And again. Learning to endure and control spikes of intense emotion is like enduring any sort of stimulus: time and repetition are your best friends.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Dept. of Multitasking

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, May 25 2012

Because just completing a triathlon isn’t enough (apparently).

http://youtu.be/1QoqenZytO8?hd=1

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The New Report Card: Forget an “A,” Try for an “M”

Daniel Coyle, The Talent Code, May 23 2012

Four years ago David Boone was a homeless 15-year-old sleeping on a park bench in Cleveland, Ohio. This fall he’ll be entering Harvard.

His is the kind of heroic story that would seem over-the-top in a movie, if it didn’t happen to be real: David used his book-bag as a pillow, studied in train stations, figured out how to avoid local gangs. (Read his story here.)

http://www.cleveland.com/seniorstandouts/index.ssf/2012/05/david_boone_persevered_to_go_f.html

More interestingly, David’s not the only hero in this story. The other is his report card. Not because of its grades, but because of its design. You see, report cards at David’s school don’t have “A”s, “B”s, and “C”s. Instead, they have “M”s and “I”s.

M stands for Mastery; I stands for Incomplete.

This method is a product of remarkable new high school David attended called MC2 STEM,

http://sites.google.com/site/mcstemhs/

in which David is part of the first graduating class. The school, part of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation STEM Initiative,

http://www.stemconnector.org/gates

teaches science and engineering through hands-on, project-based learning in cooperation with a General Electric R&D facility across the street (translation: they don’t sit at desks listening to teachers talk).

As they learn, students are graded on specific skill-sets — called benchmarks — that make up each 10-week subject.

“M” means the student has mastered the benchmark skill (usually demonstrated by a score of 90-plus on a project or test).

“I” means the student needs to work more until they master the skill. They don’t retake the course — instead, teachers provide additional activities and opportunities for mastery, until it’s achieved.

It’s refreshingly simple: the mushy, judgmental landscape of Bs and Cs is replaced with a clear goal: mastery is expected; if you don’t get it right away, you will get new opportunities to work until you do. As David says, “They don’t accept mediocrity.”

I think one reason this technique is effective is that it uses grades the way they should be used: not as an often-demotivating verdict on identity (“You’re a C student); but rather as an ignitor of effort, a motivational north star. “Incomplete” is a motivating concept, because it sends a strong signal that complete learning is not only possible but expected; that everyone is capable of top-level work. It nudges the culture away from judgement and toward continual improvement and reaching. It turns a school into a skill-construction zone.

The question is, how can other organizations put this M/I grading method to work? For instance, could a soccer coach build a team around the idea of mastering certain moves? Could a businesses do the same when teaching employees? A music teacher?

Also, I’m curious: do you know of other simple methods that schools, teams, and businesses use to promote the love of mastery? If so, I’d love to hear about them.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)