1339 posts :: Page 11 of 45
By: Likes:

Hockey Canada aiming to keep kids in the game

ALLAN MAKI Globe and Mail Update Tuesday, Aug. 02, 2011

Nimble hockey players are good; adaptable hockey administrators may be even better.

In a bid to introduce more options and playing opportunities for hockey players and their families, Hockey Canada’s officers have produced a list of six priorities for the 2011-12 season. The recommendations, which will be addressed later this month by Hockey Canada’s board of directors, range from creating a flexible season for players who want to participate in other sports to enhancing non-contact hockey leagues “as a viable and credible participatory program.”

Hockey Canada chairman Mike Bruni of Calgary helped formulate the six priorities at recent meetings in Penticton, B.C. He believes Canadian hockey needs to be more flexible in how it oversees the game and corrects the decline in minor hockey registration.

“The whole concept for this is we have to be a lot more nimble,” said Bruni. “We’re the stewards of the game but we need to be advocates of influence. The head hits issue is a clear example. It was easy for us to get to a decision point because of the market demand (from players, administrators, coaches, on-ice officials and parents).”

The Hockey Canada priorities include: creating ways for player movement “to facilitate flexibility within the game reflecting the needs of the modern player and family;” finding new partnerships with private hockey programs “to provide the best development programs;” working with sports schools and also the Canadian Interuniversity Sport, “recognizing it as a critical part of a vision of the Canadian student/athlete alternative, with particular focus on female hockey.”

The call for a flexible hockey schedule and the enhancement of non-contact hockey are two keynote areas, both aimed at keeping kids in the game and interested.

“If we go from September to December maybe kids can ski or play volleyball and basketball, do other things,” Bruni said of the rationale for an altered hockey season. As for non-contact hockey, Bruni acknowledged the concerns and suggested a possible solution.

“There is a stigma with non-contact hockey that the kids aren’t good enough or they’re scared. We have to look at a national championship for non-contact hockey,” he said. “We’re losing players to the U.S., to Finland, to European programs. We have to make these opportunities as attractive as possible in Canada … I’m excited it’s going to make a difference in the game.”

The six priorities will be examined by Hockey Canada’s board Aug. 25-26 in Montreal.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Campbell: Father's life provides Mika Zibanejad with perspective
Mehrdad Zibanejad's decision to leave Iran created a more secure life for son Mika, who was drafted by the Senators in June.

Ken Campbell The Hockey News 2011-08-02

Standing in the lobby of a hotel in downtown Minneapolis the day after his son was picked in the first round of the NHL draft by the Ottawa Senators, Mehrdad Zibanejad seemed rather oblivious to it all. He obviously hasn’t read the hockey parent manual that says this should be seen as a crowning achievement, one that should be celebrated as the greatest day his family has ever seen.

In reality, he knows his son, Mika, hasn’t accomplished anything yet. Yes, he was chosen sixth overall, a remarkable accomplishment in itself, but not one that should be the center of his universe. In fact, instead of following his son to the Senators’ rookie camp a week later, he was planning a trip with his wife to Puerto Rico. “Yesterday we enjoyed it, but that was yesterday and today we go back to business and take care of the plan for the future,” Mehrdad said. “Mika’s life is not my life. It’s not something I’m thinking about all the time.”

Regardless of what Mika Zibanejad does on the ice during his NHL career, he’ll probably never be thrown in jail. Chances are he won’t ever go to war or leave his country to avoid persecution and to seek basic freedom. Mehrdad has done all of those things, which is perhaps why he has the kind of perspective he does.

These days, Mehrdad Zibanejad is a 50-year-old IT engineer with the Swedish government and the father of two Swedish hockey players. But more than three decades ago, he was living in his native Iran when the Iranian Revolution resulted in the Shah being overthrown and replaced with the Ayatollah Khomeini. Soon after, Khomeini became Supreme Leader of Iran, giving him the highest political ranking and religious authority for life.

Radical Islam was not something with which Mehrdad agreed and he was once jailed for writing a magazine article on existentialism. Mehrdad and Mika are Christians, but it was a lack of religious freedom that Mehrdad was protesting. “With existentialism you can go your own way,” Mehrdad said. “I believe in God, I read the Bible, I believe everything they write in the Bible, but God gave me some choice also. But in Iran you have no choice. They tell you what you should think and what you should do and I can’t accept it. God gave you freedom.”

That made it all the more difficult for him to fight in the Iran-Iraq war, which broke out in 1980. Mehrdad had to serve his two-year mandatory military service and faced either jail or war. “I had no choice,” he said, “they would put me in jail or maybe kill me, or I am going there and fighting for nothing, for something I don’t agree with.”

He served largely in administration, but said he engaged in battle when there was an offensive. Did he ever kill anyone? “I don’t know, I didn’t see anyone,” he said. “ Maybe, maybe not.”

After earning a passport by fulfilling his military obligations, Mehrdad left Iran in December, 1983 and landed in Sweden, where he met his Finnish-born wife Ritva. Mehrdad is reticent to talk about his experiences or his feelings about them, largely out of concern for Mika. “There are some people, maybe living in the USA or North America, who are fanatic Muslims and I don’t want them to contact him,” Mehrdad said.

For now, Mika Zibanejad is a highly touted prospect with a bright future. He shot up the rankings this past season and impressed scouts with his performance with Djurgarden of the Swedish Elite League. Senators GM Bryan Murray has already inked him to an entry level deal, meaning Zibanejad can take part in training camp in the fall. If Zibanejad isn’t yet ready to play in the NHL, he will likely return to Djurgarden to continue his development.

Much has been made of the Senators gaping hole in the No. 2 spot down the middle behind Jason Spezza. But Murray isn’t naive enough to think the Senators filled it when they selected an unproven 18-year-old. Zibanejad has NHL size and skill, but lacks NHL experience. “I don’t think he can do that,” Murray said. “I’m hoping we’re going to give him a chance to be looked at, but we don’t expect him to carry that ball.”

This feature orginally appeared in the August, 2011 issue of The Hockey News.

Ken Campbell, author of the book Habs Heroes, is a senior writer for The Hockey News and a regular contributor to THN.com with his column.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

TOP BANTAM HOCKEY PLAYERS TAKE PART IN MENTORSHIP CAMP

TSN.CA STAFF Aug 2, 2011

Some of the best bantam-aged Canadian hockey players will get a chance to learn from the pros this week in the first annual Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Camp.

The camp, led by 21-year NHL veteran Gary Roberts, runs from Wednesday through Saturday at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ont. It concludes on Saturday with the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Cup, an inter-squad exhibition game that will be broadcast on TSN2 at 2pm et/11am pt.

The four-day experience is touted to be like no other hockey camp available as it focuses on skill development under the guidance of former and current NHL stars and includes advice on strength and conditioning, nutrition and mental preparation from some of the most renowned hockey experts.

"What we're trying to do is identify those players at this age and let current NHL players give them some mentorship experience of what to expect, and how to deal with the pressures that come with being an elite level player," said NHLPA Director of Corporate Partnerships, Colin A. Campbell.

"At the end of the day, it's a very positive thing for both the players and for our guys as PA members," said Campbell.

Along with Roberts, several current NHL players including Luke Schenn, Jason Spezza, Steve Staios and Jeff Skinner will work with the young players during daily practice sessions to improve the players' hockey skills.

Jordan Thomson, selected fourth overall by the Kamloops Blazers in the 2011 WHL Draft, couldn't believe it when he was invited to learn from the best.

"I had to ask my parents if it was real," said Thomson. "My heart started racing and now to come to this day, I'm just excited and can't wait to get out there."

Besides the on-ice training, Roberts will work with all 42 players to educate them on proper nutrition while renowned strength and conditioning trainers, Lorne Goldenberg and Matt Nichol will teach them to improve their off-ice workouts. Dr. Paul Dennis, a sports psychologist, who formerly worked with the Toronto Maple Leafs, will discuss the importance of achieving a strong mental state to excel in the game.

"Meeting the players is gonna be awesome," said Thomson. "And also learning about nutrition and all that stuff is going to make you a better person and a better hockey player."

Aaron Ekblad, selected first overall by the Barrie Colts in the 2011 OHL Draft, says the camp's all-around nature will be a great opportunity for development on and off the ice.

"Just learning about respect and about nutrition and about how the game's played," said Ekblad. "All the different seminars, it's all going to be vital to learning how to deal with being older and living your own life."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL set to experiment with rule changes

By LANCE HORNBY, QMI Agency, Aug 2, 2011

TORONTO - Think of referees gabbing via helmet radios, hand passes in the offensive zone, the death of the trapezoid and repeat shootout contestants in overtime.

Yes, it’s time for the National Hockey League to put white mice on skates and turn the rink into a 200 by 85 foot experimental lab, with the noble intent of streamlining the game and boosting offence.

The league’s second research and development camp, to be held at the MasterCard Centre in Etobicoke Aug. 17-18, seeks to continue the flow re-created after the 2005 lockout. Many of the camp’s more far-fetched ideas won’t go further than this study phase, involving two teams of 2012 draft eligible players, coaches Dan Bylsma and Dave Tippett and an audience of league brass and media.

The concept of three primary faceoff dots instead of nine and red-meshed nets didn’t survive this year, but some holdover experiments, such as hybrid icing, shallow nets and gradually reducing overtime manpower from 4-on-4 to 2-on-2 will be getting a second look.

Here’s a look at some of the rule tweaks to be evaluated during the camp:

Referees with head-sets

Would be useful for staying in touch during hectic action as it moves up ice. Ideally, both refs would make sure to be in the best possible position to judge goals or call penalties, as the official who is the furthest away often makes what can be a controversial minor call. They could also relay the linesmen’s comments or stay in touch when one ref is with the timekeeper and the other at the team benches.

No line changes after an offsides

Currently in effect only for a team that ices the puck, this would have the dual effect of discouraging offsides and trapping tired players, leading to scoring chances.

Only on-the-fly line changes permitted

Coaches won’t like their matchups being messed with, but this would restrict stop-time changes only when goals are scored or manpower situations arise.

Faceoff changes

In the continuing effort to stamp out delays caused by encroaching centres and wingers, misbehaving centres will have to move back a foot, while another variation will allow the other team to pick the next man to take the draw. Faceoffs will be restricted to the five circles, erasing the neutral zone dots. One linesman will be designated for almost all faceoffs to create consistency.

Hand passes permitted

North Americans who played baseball will have an advantage here. Just don’t close your hand on the puck.

Trapezoid out, red line in

Two “roll-back” experiments. Goalies can once again roam to their heart’s content to play the puck, but be warned, they will be penalized for freezing a puck without at least one skate in the crease. They will likely be considered fair game for forecheckers if they get too adventurous when stick-handling.

With the red line active again, two-line passes will be restricted in the hope more players get touches in the neutral zone.

Bearhug rule

A Brian Burke initiative, this allows players to wrap up an opponent going into the boards to lessen impact and avoid a holding call.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Ted Nolan to coach Latvia

James Mirtle Globe and Mail Blog Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ted Nolan's long and winding coaching odyssey continues.

This time, the former NHL bench boss's next adventure will take him to Riga, Latvia, where he's signed on to coach the national team.

Latvia pursued several well-known coaches for the role, offering the job to both Mike Keenan and Clement Jodoin before turning their attention to Nolan, who won the Jack Adams as the NHL's top coach in 1997.

“We were looking for a neutral, authoritative coach with lots of experience and good hockey knowledge,” Latvian Hockey President Kirovs Lipmans said. “This is exactly what we found with Ted Nolan.”

According to the IIHF, "Nolan will be the first North American coach of the Latvian national team since fellow Canadian Larry Marsh in 1939." He will also work as a consultant for the country's world junior team that will play at the 2012 event in Calgary and Edmonton.

Once considered one of the top coaches in the game, Nolan has only spent 327 games behind an NHL bench between the Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders, in part due to the poor reputation he left Buffalo with.

The past two years, he's worked as the director of hockey operations with the AHL's Rochester Americans.

Hockey-mad Latvia, meanwhile, has struggled of late internationally, and a 13th place finish at the most recent world championships led to the team's former coach, Olegs Znaroks, being fired.

The country is currently ranked 12th in the world, tying its lowest ranking ever. The highest Latvia has gotten was ninth in 2005, although it has finished as high as seventh at the worlds three times in the last 15 years.

Only four Latvians played a game in the NHL last season: Karlis Skrastins, Oskars Bartulis, Arturs Kulda and Raitis Ivanans.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Jaden Schwartz finds refuge in hockey

EDMONTON— The Canadian Press - Donna Spencer Wednesday, Aug. 03, 2011

Jaden Schwartz views the world through a different lens than many other hockey players his age.

In conversation, Schwartz seems older than his 19 years. Watching his sister Mandi succumb to cancer earlier this year changed his perspective on his life.

Hockey is important to him, as it was to Mandi. Schwartz fractured his ankle in the second game of world junior hockey championship in Buffalo, N.Y., this year and watched from the sidelines as the Canadian team collapsed in the third period of the gold-medal game and lost to Russia.

That stung, but Mandi was fighting for her life at home in Wilcox, Sask., while he was at the tournament.

“Obviously me getting hurt, that's nothing compared to what she went through,” Schwartz said. “Obviously the loss is tough for everybody and it's a learning experience, but when you see Mandi go through that, it puts things in perspective and you know what's most important in life.

“It really changes you in a different way.”

Mandi, who played for the Yale Bulldogs women's hockey team, died April 3 of leukemia at the age of 23.

Schwartz, brother Rylan — a teammate at Colorado College — and parents Rick and Carol are working through their grief this summer.

“It's obviously been tough,” Schwartz said. “Without family and friends, I don't know if it's possible to get through something like that. I can't even start to explain how much it means to us.

“Mandi helped us a lot too, knowing how strong she was and how she supported us. I know she wouldn't want us to be sad all the time and down. She'd want us to keep on trucking. Her favourite motto was 'struggle and emerge' and that's what we're trying to do.”

Schwartz is one of 47 players, born in 1992 or 1993, attending the Canadian junior team's summer camp in Edmonton this week.

They're practising and scrimmaging at Rexall Place under the watchful eyes of head coach Don Hay and assistants George Burnett and Ryan Huska. The six-day camp ends with an intra-squad game Saturday in Edmonton and another Sunday in Fort McMurray.

Schwartz was the 14th overall pick in the 2010 NHL draft by the St. Louis Blues. He's one of seven veterans from the junior team eligible to play for Canada a second time at the 2012 tournament in Edmonton and Calgary starting Dec. 26.

The 5-foot-10, 184-pound forward was on Canada's top line in Buffalo before a Czech player collided with him in the first period. Schwartz kept playing and scored a power-play goal before the pain in his ankle forced him to the bench permanently.

His tournament cut short and a sister gravely ill, if Schwartz felt black clouds enveloping him, he didn't show it. Portland Winter Hawks forward Ryan Johansen was Schwartz's roommate during the tournament.

“Me and Jaden were probably the closest friends on the team and having to go through that with him, he really carried himself well through that tournament,” Johansen said. “He didn't talk about it too much and just kind of stayed positive. He was always trying to be happy.”

Schwartz is strong on the puck in all areas of the ice and his hockey instincts make him a constant scoring threat. He led all NCAA rookies in points per game last season at 1.57. Canada sorely missed his talents in the championship game in Buffalo.

His maturity and experience make Schwartz a solid candidate for captain or assistant captain should he represent his country again.

“I feel very lucky to get another shot,” Schwartz said. “I've been looking forward to this for a long time now, ever since last year's tournament ended.”

He continues to carry a chain that Mandi gave him as a Christmas present. Hockey is helping him heal in a myriad of ways, one of which is remembering how much his sister loved to play the game.

“Hockey is our family's life. It was everything to her,” Schwartz said. “Every time I step on the ice or go for a workout, it's just kind of a way to get things off your mind and do something you love to do. She was the same way.

“Any chance she got, she went for a workout and even skated when she could. It definitely helped a lot during the hard times.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

EKBLAD IMPRESSING AT ROBERTS-LED MENTORSHIP CAMP

TSN.CA STAFF Aug 3, 2011

At only 15-years-old, Aaron Ekblad is a name you're bound to hear plenty more of the in the future.

Ekblad is one of 42 bantam-aged hockey players taking part in this week's All-State All-Canadians Mentorship Camp led by 21-year NHL veteran Gary Roberts.

The camp focuses on skill development under the guidance of former and current NHL stars and includes advice on strength and conditioning, nutrition and mental preparation from some of the most renowned hockey experts.

Despite his young age, the 6-foot-3, 185 pound Ekblad is already drawing comparisons to some of the best defencemen in the game.

"He moves the puck well, skates well and he's a big guy so I can see why people would think he's like a Chris Pronger," said Roberts.

Ekblad was taken by the Barrie Colts with the first overall pick in this spring's OHL draft. He is only the second player, along with John Tavares, to be given exceptional players status allowing him to play in the league at such a young age.

He is a two-way defenceman with loads of offensive potential and scored 67 points in 62 games last season at the minor midget level.

But it's not his size or skills that have caught the eye of six-year NHL veteran Chris Campoli, who is instructing at the camp.

"The thing I was most impressed with when I met him was his work ethic," said Campoli. "It's his eagerness to learn and then listen to what we were telling him.

"You know he's a special player."

Roberts is equally impressed with the young man's approach to the game.

"He's got a great attitude," said Roberts. "You can already see the maturity."

A big fan of Red Wings' captain Nicklas Lidstrom, Ekblad has remained humble despite all of the expectations and attention.

"I just try to think of myself as the person I am," said Eklbad. "Just respect everyone and realize that everyone is equal."

You can watch Ekblad and the other top bantam prospects this Saturday in the Allstate All-Canadians Mentorship Cup, an inter-squad exhibition game that will be broadcast on TSN2 at 2pm et/11am pt.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Home /
Sports /
Hockey

Colleges being forced to play shorthanded

By Fluto Shinzawa Boston,com August 7, 2011

This summer, the number is nine. It’s down from 13 the previous summer. In 2009, it was 17.

But when the number stands for kids who treat their NCAA letters of intent and verbal commitments with the importance of ATM receipts, nine remains too high.

“Maybe it’s the way I was raised,’’ said Paul Kelly, executive director of College Hockey, Inc. “I’m a believer that when you make a commitment, you stand by it and honor it. It is disappointing to me. It’s disappointing to coaches. When kids make a commitment, particularly when that commitment takes a more formal form in a letter of intent to attend that school, then you break that commitment, frankly, if I’m an NHL GM, it might cause me some concern - that a player I drafted can so easily walk away from a commitment he made.’’

Traditionally, and for the foreseeable future, major junior is the route most often taken to the NHL. Of the 20 Bruins who played in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, 16 starred in the Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, or Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the three leagues that operate under the Canadian Hockey League umbrella. Three played juniors in Europe. Just one chose college.

That said, those four seasons at the University of Vermont served Tim Thomas well.

There is no right or wrong way to graduate to the NHL. Proponents of major junior and college have their respective arguments as to why their approaches are preferable.

An OHL player will have a game-heavy schedule that mimics what he’ll experience in the NHL. A Hockey East player will enjoy a well-rounded atmosphere - attending classes, meeting people outside of the rink, a rich social life - that will help him transition to adulthood.

So those on either side have nothing to carp about when a kid says yes to one and no to the other. But what’s irking Kelly, coaches, and the NCAA is when a player commits to college hockey, then pushes the reset button and bolts for a junior team.

While that player, his family, and his new club move on, his former college coach suddenly has a hole on his roster. Late in the game, at that.

“You have these kids continually lobbied, influenced, and romanced,’’ Kelly said. “Not only directly by the coaches and staff, but by the players under direction of coaches and staff. When they leave in late July, it leaves the college in an incredible bind. When Michigan loses a goaltender at the end of July, less than six weeks before the start of the school year, they either go with what they have, or they reach out for another goaltender. That’s usually a goalie off a USHL team. Now that leaves that team in a bind. There’s a trickle-down effect.’’

This summer, there have been three high-profile de-commitments. J.T. Miller, the No. 15 overall pick in the 2011 draft by the Rangers, would have been a freshman at North Dakota this fall. Last month, Miller signed with Plymouth of the OHL.

Phoenix drafted Connor Murphy with the No. 20 pick in June. Murphy, a native of Dublin, Ohio, had committed to Miami University. Last month, Murphy opted for Sarnia of the OHL.

John Gibson, the second goalie picked in the draft (Anaheim), would have been a freshman at Michigan this fall. Late last month, Gibson signed with Kitchener of the OHL.

Gibson was the second goalie Michigan lost in the last two years. Jack Campbell would have been a freshman in 2010. Instead, Campbell signed with Windsor of the OHL.

There isn’t an overriding reason why future collegians are opting out of the classroom. It could be academics. It might be heat from NHL personnel who believe junior is the preferred route over college. Money could also be a factor.

“As much as the CHL denies it, there are still instances where money is being paid to the family to lure kids away and de-commit from colleges,’’ Kelly said. “It’s off the books, under the table, whatever you want to call it. If your dad is a fisherman, an out-of-work machinist, or a farmer, and a CHL program comes along and offers you $300,000 in cash, it’s tough for these families not to accept that type of proposal.’’

One solution might be a first-year grace period. For example, a collegian would be off limits from NHL or CHL contact for his freshman year. If he believes that college isn’t for him after one year, then he’d be free to consider other options.

The main issue, however, is age. For most 16-year-olds, the hardest decision they make is between M&Ms or Sour Patch Kids at the movie theater. When you have to make life-changing choices so early, there will certainly be ripple effects.

Kids change their minds all the time. But when you say no to a person when you’ve already said yes, there are significant consequences.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Holy crow! When is it too young to be 'signing' players? How do you know what a 7-year old will become when they are 18? Crazy! I know this is soccer and it works differently, but still... (Hope this doesn't give hockey agents the idea to become 'advisers' at this age!)

Madrid signs 7-year-old Argentine prospect

Sympatica.ca Sports

MADRID - He has a contract with one of soccer's biggest clubs and the same long, floppy hair and nickname Leo of his idol, Lionel Messi.

It may take awhile, however, before Leonel Angel Coira can match the wondrous Messi: He is seven years old.

Real Madrid said Monday it signed the Argentine prodigy to its youth academy after seeing him in tryouts. He will start training with Madrid's youth team Sept 6.

Coira hopes to follow the path set by Messi, a countryman who joined Barcelona from the Argentine club Newell's Old Boys as a teenager and has gone on to win the World Player of the Year award two times.

"(My) dream is to meet Messi, play in the first division with Madrid and for Argentina in the World Cup," Coira told the Spanish newspaper ABC.

The signing underscores the tactics of top teams scooping up fresh talent as early as possible to avoid paying huge transfer fees when their potential blossoms. And the Spanish soccer power didn't have to look as far as Argentina to find this gem.

Coira's family moved to Madrid three years ago after his father, Miguel, was offered a job in the Spanish capital. Miguel Coira coaches a local youth club where Leonel played and first caught the eye of a Madrid scout.

The seven-year-old was then invited to a trial with Madrid and signed a one-year contract with the club's youngest team, the "Benjamin" squad, made up of mostly under-9 players.

Madrid reportedly made the push to sign Coira because Atletico Madrid was also pursuing the youngster.

"After tryouts with both clubs, he felt more comfortable with (Real) Madrid," Miguel Coira told ABC. "I trust the club a lot. I know they will take good care of him."

Club spokesman Juan Tapiador said Coira wasn't the youngest player ever to sign with Madrid, although he couldn't name anyone younger. He said players of any age can join Real Madrid, with one stipulation.

"They only have to be a standout," he said. "We look for something different, that quality or talent that makes them stand out from the rest."

Signing children is nothing new in soccer, where almost every professional club has an extensive youth academy - like Barcelona's famous "La Masia," where dozens of young players live and train from the age of 11. Coira even looks downright old compared to the 18-month-old toddler that Dutch club VVV Venlo signed to a largely symbolic 10-year contract this year after seeing his ability to kick a ball.

While many of the young talents never develop into professional players, clubs are constantly hoping to strike gold with the next Messi, who has already helped Barcelona win 15 trophies, including three Champions League titles and five Spanish league championships.

Miguel Coira said his family receives no financial compensation from Madrid, but the team does "pay for transport."

"The contract is for one year and if everything works out it can be renewed for another," he said. "When he is 16 years old, he can play in the first division and then the terms are different."

The Real Madrid youth squad will play in a league of seven-a-side teams in Madrid, which also includes Real's cross-city rival, Atletico. The youth squad usually has about 18 players split into two teams. Every year, the club reviews each player's development and a decision is made on whether he should continue.

Madrid has dozens of scouts on its payroll scouring the capital for the next great star, and many more across Spain and other countries.

"It is an important network for capturing talent," Tapiador said, adding that scouts draw up reports on possible targets and confer with youth coaches on which players to approach and possibly sign.

Goalkeeper and senior team captain Iker Casillas, for example, began training with Madrid's youth system when he was 9.

Last week, Coira told the Argentine sports daily Ole that his favourite move is the "cano" - a difficult dribbling manoeuvre in which the ball is passed between the legs of an opponent. He prefers to "provide the pass" rather than score.

Coira has a Facebook page featuring photos of his visit to Real Madrid. He also has an older brother who plays for the Spanish team Real Valladolid.

Juanjo Montaner, a spokesman for the Spanish professional players association, told The Associated Press that Coira is not a member of the group and there is no organization that represents the interests of youth players.

"Obviously, he is not affiliated," he said. "He must be in the top three divisions, and no child is."

___

AP Sports Writer Paul Logothetis in Madrid and Joseph Wilson in Barcelona contributed to this report.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

What rules will the NHL test at its R&D camp?

James Mirtle - Toronto - Globe and Mail Blog - Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Led by Brendan Shanahan, the NHL's senior vice president of player safety and hockey operations, the league will be holding its second annual research and development camp next week in Toronto to test out a few tweaks on the game.

There's a great big long list of what they'll be looking at, but below I've listed a few of the more interesting items with thoughts on what these changes may mean.

First, here's what Shanahan had to say on the camp, which will run some of the top junior players through scrimmates using the different rules under the watchful eye of a lot of NHL GMs.

“Last year’s camp was immensely popular with the players who attended and we learned a lot of things,” he said. “We feel that some ideas don’t need to be tested again and others need more testing.

“From the outset, we conceived of the camp with the belief that our game has never been better. And we wanted to collect information and data and learn about our game at one of its highest moments, so that, if a trend we didn’t like started to develop, we already had years of information to better prepare us for making any adjustment we need.

"It’s staying on top of the game and, at the same time, preserving the integrity of hockey.”

Eight of the more interesting rule tweaks to be tested

1. Changes only permitted on-the-fly - This would eliminate all line changes after whistles save for the end of a period, after a goal is scored or a penalty is called. It's a pretty novel idea, one designed to limit line matching and have more tired players on the ice, but it would likely detract from the game given so many players would be taking faceoffs and immediately changing.

2. No line change for team committing an offside - Two rules make going offside a far bigger offence, with this one equating going offside to icing the puck in terms of the "no change" penalty that comes with it. This takes aim at cutting some of the whistles out of games and forcing players to enter the zone on-side more often.

3. After offside, face-off goes back to offending team's end - This tweak goes one step further, moving the play all the way back into a team's defensive zone if they go offside while trying to enter the offensive zone. There are some advanced statistics out there that suggest having more faceoffs in your own end can be a big disadvantage, so this would obviously add to that.

4. No icing permitted while shorthanded - This has been discussed at length in recent years as a way to make power plays more of an advantage. Players killing penalties would have to chip the puck out or skate out of the zone rather than simply hammer it the length of the ice.

5. Overtime variation (four minutes of 4-on-4 followed by three minutes of 3-on-3) - This would expand the extra frame by another two minutes with the goal of settling more games without a shootout. Some leagues, like the BCHL, already have 3-on-3 portions to their overtimes and almost every single game is decided before a tie because of it. For those that hate the shootout, here's one way to wipe most of them out of the game.

6. All penalties to be served in their entirety - Another tweak that would make power plays a far bigger advantage. The average power play was roughly 1:30 long last season, often ending when a goal was scored, but another 30 seconds on each man advantage could potentially increase the power play goals scored in the league by another 20 or 30 per cent. (Given what took place in the first year after the lockout with so many penalty calls, that isn't always a good thing.)

7. Verification line (additional line behind the goal line) - The yellow line shown here is what they're talking about and it'd be set exactly a puck length away from the goal line. If a puck touches the verification line, it would be ruled a goal, giving hockey ops another tool to evaluate whether or not pucks crossed the line.

8. In-net camera: a mounted camera with view focused on the goal line to help verify goals - Hard to believe they haven't added something like this already with all the new technology that's out there. There are still too many calls made where officials simply don't have enough camera angles.

Others new rules on the agenda

- No-touch icing
- Face-off variations (penalty line for center committing an infraction; all face-offs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all face-offs)
- Shootout variation (5-man shootout precedes sudden-death format)
- Shallow-back nets
- Face-off variations (both centers must come set on whistle; all face-offs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all face-offs)
- Delayed penalty variation (offending team must exit zone in possession of puck to stop play)
- Strict enforcement of goaltenders covering puck outside crease (Rule 63.2)
- Remove trapezoid
- Allow hand passes in all zones
- Overtime variation (switch ends)
- Shootout variation (5-man shootout with repeat players if tied after 5 shooters)
- Thin-netting nets
- ‘Hybrid’ icing
- Offside variation (offending team can’t change and face-off in its end zone)
- Face-off variations (player encroaching can’t replace thrown-out center, all face-offs in circles; same linesman drops puck for all face-offs)
- Bear-hug rule
- Overtime variation (switch ends for four minutes of 4-on-4, followed by three minutes of 3-on-3)
- Shootout variation (3-man shoot out with repeat shooters if tied after 3 shooters)

- All-Star Skills competition (fastest skater, breakaway challenge, accuracy shooting, skills relay challenge, hardest shot, elimination shootout)

- On-ice officials communication using ref-to-ref wireless
- Overhead camera to assist hockey operations reviews of various initiatives (verification line/goal netting/in-net camera)
- Robotic camera to test camera angles for coverage closer to ice
- Video replay application review
- Curved glass protection options at players bench areas

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Ohio State to play Michigan in hockey at Indians' Progressive Field

Tom Withers
CLEVELAND— The Associated Press
Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011

The bitter Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is about to get really icy.

The two schools, sworn enemies in just about everything, will play the first outdoor college hockey game in Ohio at Progressive Field — home of the Cleveland Indians — on Sunday, Jan. 15. The matchup, dubbed “The Frozen Diamond Faceoff” will be the marquee event as part of the Indians' second “Snow Days” promotion at the ballpark, a two-month winter-themed experience that drew over 50,000 fans in its first year.

The Buckeyes and Wolverines will play on a regulation-sized rink situated on the Indians' infield, stretching from the area around home plate down the first-base line.

The AP first reported the event in June.

Indians president Mark Shapiro is hoping the 43,000-seat ballpark will be packed.

“We think it's going to be sold out,” Indians president Mark Shapiro said. “You have avid fans from Michigan and Ohio State, and you've got a rivalry that's meaningful. And, you also have a unique event — just coming into the ballpark and seeing something for the first time in the state of Ohio. You combine all those things, and it's our hope that there aren't any empty seats.”

The teams will meet in Columbus on Jan. 13 before travelling to Cleveland in what will be a Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) home game for Ohio State.

The Wolverines have already played in a wildly successful outdoor game. Last December, they hosted cross-state rival Michigan State in “The Big Chill at the Big House,” a game that drew over 100,000 fans to Michigan's mammoth football stadium.

“It's a great way to promote college hockey,” said Josh Richelew, Michigan's director of hockey operations. “There's no better way than taking the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry and bringing it to a wonderful facility. This is one of the premier ballparks in the country. We're very excited about it.”

Both schools will sell tickets on campus, and they each get a share of the gate.

CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch said the game made sense to all parties.

“Any time you can play in front of this many people potentially, it's a win for everyone,” he said. “The sight lines are unbelievable for fans and it's a great student-athlete experience. Who wouldn't want to play in front of nearly 50,000 fans? The coaches are into it. It's a conference game, three points are on the line, and the exposure for the sport and college hockey in general is just great.”

But there is already bad blood between the Buckeyes and Wolverines, and with so many fans in attendance, the atmosphere will be super charged.

Pletsch laughed when asked if he was worried the teams could set a conference record for penalty minutes.

“We've been pretty tame that way the past few years,” he said. “I'm hoping not.”

As for “Snow Days,” which will begin with “Snopening Day” on Nov. 25 and run through Jan. 16, the Indians decide to bring it back after getting a strong response from fans, who enjoyed the chance to ice skate and ride tubes down a 10-lane hill inside the downtown ballpark.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Report: New Coyotes ownership candidate could want an 'out clause'

James Mirtle Globe and Mail Blog Friday, August 12, 2011

There's a sliver of news out there on the Phoenix Coyotes' ownership front, and in mid-August, that's enough to cause a little bit of interest in NHL circles.

The Phoenix Business Journal reported yesterday afternoon that "there is a serious bid by a new Canadian-led ownership group to buy the hockey franchise."

Few details are available, other than the fact there is again talk that there "could be a seven-year out clause that would allow the new owners to sell and/or move the team out of Arizona if market conditions do not improve."

Given all that's gone on in Glendale the past two-plus years since the team went into bankruptcy in May, 2009, one would think some sort of "out" is a given.

The other tidbit of info in the report is that the new group would be willing to put up $100-million of the purchase price, which would seem to be a much better deal for the city than what Matthew Hulsizer had been offering before backing out to pursue the St. Louis Blues.

Optimism is in short supply when it comes to the Coyotes these days, as after losing $37-million last season and having Glendale put up another $25-million to keep the team there another year, mayor Elaine Scruggs has said publicly she doesn't "have a lot of confidence" the team will be staying beyond 2011-12.

"I have never supported having the team leave," Scruggs told NBC 12 News in July. "However now I believe that the only realistic thing to do, for all of us, is to take a look at what would like be like with no team in the arena.

"In many ways the city of Glendale has no control over our future. We have some but we don't have final control. The decision is with the NHL, the other, I think it is 29 other owners, who they want to be an owner of the team."

What's going to be interesting here over the coming weeks is if the identity of that Canadian bidder comes out, as if they want an out clause, presumably they have an idea of where they'd like to go. With Winnipeg getting its team back already, there are only two realistic options on that front, with Quebec City and Southern Ontario potential destinations in this country.

In the U.S.? Your guess is as good as mine, as there really don't seem to be any untapped markets that would guarantee success or where there are owners lining up to get a team.

Greg Wyshynski has a few more thoughts on the situation today. (BELOW)
-----

Fri Aug 12 11:16am EDT
Escaping the Phoenix Coyotes: New owners and the out clause

By Greg Wyshynski

On Aug. 12, 2008, Jerry Moyes was the owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, bleeding money and scheming behind the scenes for a way out. On Aug. 12, 2009, Jim Balsillie, Jerry Reinsdorf and Ice Edge Holdings were bidding for the Coyotes, now mired in bankruptcy court. On Aug. 12, 2010, the NHL owned the Coyotes, Ice Edge was moving on from the bidding and a "mystery buyer" was weeks away from revelation.

On Aug. 12, 2011, the NHL still owns the Coyotes. Last year's "mystery buyer," Matthew Hulsizer, threw up his arms at local politics and turned his attention to the St. Louis Blues. And now this year's "mystery buyers" are waiting for their turn in this three-year embarrassment for the National Hockey League.

According to the Phoenix Business Journal, a source told the "Roc and Manuch" sports radio show on KDUS-AM 1060 in Phoenix that there is a "serious bid" by a Canadian-led ownership group to buy the team. (More of that strong, local ownership Bettman always advocates.)

From the Journal:

The "Roc and Manuch" show reported today that the bid involves a minority owner involved with another National Hockey League franchise, and there could be a seven-year out clause that would allow the new owners to sell and/or move the team out of Arizona if market conditions do not improve.

The official familiar with the Coyotes situation said the unnamed Canadian group has plenty of cash to make the deal. That same source said the group could put up $100 million, with $40 million to $50 million coming from the city of Glendale via bonds. The NHL could give approval to the deal in the coming days, according to KDUS.

Operative phrase: Out Clause.

The out clause has been included in other bids for the Coyotes. (Besides Balsillie, who obviously would have backed up the U-Hauls the moment he purchased the team.)

Via the Associated Press, looking back at the Reinsdorf bid in 2009:

In the fifth year, Reinsdorf's group, known as Glendale Hockey, could give 180-days notice that it intends to sell the team. Glendale would have that 180 days to find a buyer who would keep the team in Arizona, with Reinsdorf guaranteed a minimum purchase price of US$103 million.

Ice Edge seeks no such "out clause" but would establish a ticket surcharge that could vary between Coyotes games and other events at Jobing.com Arena, a popular venue for major concerts such as the recent Paul McCartney appearance. The financial district would terminate after 10 years, with whatever money is left in it going to the city. Within five years, Ice Edge would enter into talks with Glendale to buy the arena.

Hulsizer also had what amounts to an "out clause" in his deal, but one that had less to do with market conditions and more with political turmoil. From Sports Business Daily in Dec. 2010, when the Glendale City Council approved $197 million in funding to keep the Coyotes in Glendale under Hulsizer:

Council member Joyce Clark cast one of the dissenting votes, and her main concern "centered on part of the agreement that would allow Hulsizer to terminate the arena lease before then if the city failed to meet its financial obligations to the team or faced a lawsuit that invalidated part or all of the deal."

Hulsizer in that case "would still be allowed to keep the money that the city provided through the deal." Hulsizer "told the council he was willing to allow 120 days for negotiation with the city if such a default or lawsuit judgment were to occur."

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs after the meeting added that the NHL "had told Glendale it would not allow the team to move, even if there was a lawsuit judgment, for seven years."

So with this new bid for the team, we're still looking at the seven-year itch. One bidder in three years was willing to commit to the region: Ice Edge. And that might have just been to differentiate their bid from Reinsdorf's cut-and-run clause. No one is bidding for the Phoenix Coyotes again without an escape hatch. Ain't gonna happen.

According to the NHL's actions, they shouldn't need one, of course, because the market can work under the right conditions.

The company line for the NHL when Moyes put the team in bankruptcy was that he had just subverted an ongoing process between the League and Glendale to create more favorable market conditions for the franchise. Part of that equation was finding new ownership; the other part was extracting more money from the city and from the revenue streams around the arena.

The process nearly played out with Hulsizer until it became apparent that entities like the Goldwater Institute weren't going to allow the city to throw taxpayer money at the Coyotes without a hell of a fight.

The new bid, according to the Business Journal, asks for significantly less from the city than Hulsizer's did. But the devil's in the details.

Witness the situation with the Nashville Predators from a few years back, via the Arizona Republic:

After 2010, if average paid attendance drops below 14,000 per game and cumulative losses reach $20 million, the team could opt out of its lease. The team would have to pay Nashville an early-termination fee that ranges between $10 million and $25 million, depending on the year.

So will the market get seven years to make this work, and then have specific triggers in the deal to allow for relocation? Could relocation happen sooner for the new owners?

The NHL has come this far, danced with so many partners and fought so many battles that it's inconceivable they're going to let the Coyotes move. Bettman doesn't like to lose, and any scenario in which the Coyotes leave is a defeat, plain and simple.

Meanwhile, all the fans are doing is increasing the season-ticket base dramatically while the wait for this nonsense to reach its conclusion.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Not exactly a seller’s market for NHL franchises

DAVID SHOALTS Globe and Mail Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2011

This may be of little comfort to those of us too depressed to look at our RRSPs, but this week’s turmoil in the stock markets is also causing much heartburn for those trying to sell NHL franchises.

When the stock market craters, it plays havoc with the net worth of prospective buyers. This makes it hard for them to line up financing, since bankers need little reason to slam the cash drawer shut these days.

This is not without precedent in the NHL. Ten years ago, George Gillett’s purchase of the Montreal Canadiens was put on hold for months because the shares in a meat-packing company he planned to use to help finance the deal went into a free-fall. Gillett persevered and wound up making a huge profit on the Habs but the latest stock market uproar goes well beyond the health of a single stock.

Such is the situation Robert Caporale finds himself in this week. He is the chairman of Game Plan LLC, the investment bank in charge of selling the St. Louis Blues. He sent out letters to prospective buyers recently, asking for “non-binding” bids for the hockey team by Aug. 22, only to see the Dow Jones industrial average start its roller-coaster ride.

One of Caporale’s peers in the investment banking field says the NHL franchise market is “a mess.” He saluted Caporale’s efforts but said the Game Plan boss is just trying to goose a slow market.

Caporale agreed, sort of, and then asked wryly, “tell me when there’s a good time to do it?” He said he can’t do anything about the stock market: “I have to deal with reality.”

Reality, according to the anonymous investment banker, is that there are two serious bidders for the Blues at best and neither is willing to put up enough cash to even cover the $120-million (all currency U.S.) bank debt the current owners have on the team. Caporale declined to say who received requests for bids but multiple sources say the main suitors are two groups led by Blues minority owner Tom Stillman and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer, who turned his attention to St. Louis when the political shenanigans around the Phoenix Coyotes grew tiresome.

Caporale’s fellow banker thinks another problem is that Blues chairman Dave Checketts is considered a smart operator by people in the sports business. But he was unable to turn the Blues into a steady source of profit since he took over the team in 2006. When buyers see that not even Checketts can make the Blues a going concern, their enthusiasm wanes.

“I think when people look at the financials over the last few years, they will see a positive performance and the team is on an upward trend,” Caporale said in response.

Checketts and the Blues have been dogged by bad luck on the ice. While there have been some management hiccups, the Blues can argue injuries are the single biggest reason why the team missed the playoffs for five of the last six seasons.

Caporale hopes his pitch will lead to a sale by late September and there is some pressure to get a deal done. Citibank extended the Blues’ $120-million loan but does not have unlimited patience.

There are hopes one or two of the alleged bidders on the Dallas Stars may take a look at the Blues if Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi winds up as the Stars’ new owner. But Caporale’s colleague, who is familiar with the Stars sale, is dubious.

At this point, Gaglardi has an exclusive negotiating window and hopes to have a bid before the bankruptcy court within two weeks. It will also serve as a stalking-horse bid, one used by the court to see if anyone else wants to top it.

But our banking source thinks the other groups who have looked at the Stars are not willing to pay as much as Gaglardi. Local oil men Billy Quinn, who seems to have Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in his group, and Doug Miller, plus businessman Chuck Greenberg, who parted company with the Texas Rangers baseball team, have all looked at the Stars. They will have the right to bid against Gaglardi when his bid gets to the bankruptcy court but insiders are not expecting any surprises.

This sale, too, is taking much longer than expected. It will also wind up netting far, far less than the many creditors of current Stars owner Tom Hicks expected. That group of bankers, whose unhappiness is behind many of the delays, once hoped for as much as $450-million since the deal includes half of American Airlines Center but they will be fortunate to see even half of that.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Cubs hoping for some Gretzky magic

Postmedia News August 12, 2011

CHICAGO — His dad had more than his share of great games in Chicago.

And now Trevor Gretzky is hoping he’ll be able to do the same one day — only in a different sport.

The Trevor Gretzky era in professional baseball officially began on Friday, with the Chicago Cubs announcing they had signed the 18-year-old son of former hockey great Wayne Gretzky. The deal is reportedly worth $375,000 US.

The younger Gretzky, who can play the outfield and first base, was selected by the Cubs in the seventh round of the 2011 first-year player draft, after he hit .393 with 10 doubles, four triples and a home run in his senior year at Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, California.

“The Cubs are thrilled to welcome Trevor Gretzky to the organization,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “It was a pleasure working with the Gretzky family on this contract and we are excited by Trevor’s decision to begin his pro baseball career with the Cubs.”

Gretzky could be assigned to one of Chicago’s minor-league teams or head to the team’s minor-league complex in Mesa, Arizona.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL looking for ways to create more offence

By LANCE HORNBY, QMI Agency, Aug 15, 2011

Doug Armstrong won’t dismiss such radical concepts as shallow nets, liberal hand passes or panting penalty killers who defend for the full two minutes of a power play.

“In my experience in the NHL, it can be better to start with the end result and then work your way back,” Armstrong said Monday, prior to the league’s annual research and development camp. “This camp will at least create some dialogue.”

Armstrong, general manager of the St. Louis Blues, will join many colleagues in Toronto on Wednesday and Thursday at the MasterCard Centre, where several experiments will get a trial run. More offensive opportunities is the end game of new league vice-president of hockey and business development Brendan Shanahan. This year, the hockey-operations boys are highlighting special teams and faceoffs.

Two teams of 2012 draft propects must skate through a penalty killing minefield. Getting puck possession on a delayed call won’t be enough to stop play, the penalized team must also exit the zone, possibly down six skaters to five. During the penalty, they’ll be charged with icing (sans substitutions) and the man in the box is stuck there the whole 120 seconds, no matter how many goals against.

“I’m not sure if it’s the bigger equipment or good (PK) strategy, but everyone’s blocking shots and filling up the middle of the ice,” Armstrong noted. “These ideas could put the advantage back in the power play’s hands or cut down on penalties.”

Armstrong is also keen on seeing consistency returned to the faceoff circle. The same linesman will be dropping the puck during camp, with the dots cut from nine to the five with defined outer circles and hashmarks. When a centre is waved out, the other team can pick the replacement on the draw and there’ll be another look at leaving the puck on the dot and whistling play in.

“It’s just looking for fairness,” Armstrong said. “There are a lot of ‘Ts’ and ‘Ls’ marked out there (where players are supposed to set up), but it could be tidier.”

Toronto general manager Brian Burke will get to see his pet project, the bear-hug rule, where a player can steer another into the boards while briefly wrapping him to lessen impact.

“I think it can reduce and/or eliminate the ‘billiard ball’ hits we see now five or six feet from the boards,” Burke said. “Especially in light of the widespread tactic used by forwards protecting the puck while exposing the numbers on their backs. And I believe our officials can handle this without the bear hug itself turning into a tactic.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FORMER CAPITAL BRADLEY: SEMIN 'JUST DOESN'T CARE'

TSN.CA STAFF Aug 17, 2011

Florida Panthers forward Matt Bradley, who spent six seasons with the Washington Capitals before this offseason, had a few choice words for his former team and teammates earlier this week.

Speaking on Ottawa's TEAM 1200 Radio, Bradley said there were a few players that didn't show up in the playoffs and that the locker room may have been a bit too laid back.

"I think our locker room was maybe a little bit too nonchalant, and guys weren't disciplined the way they should have been," Bradely told TEAM 1200. "Those two things are big things. It wasn't that guys were going out the night before a game, but not being ready to practice or missing practice with questionable injuries and not being focused."

Bradley went on to cite Alexander Semin's lack of output in the post-season as part of the reason for the Capitals' failures the past few seasons, saying he has the potential to be the best player in the league but hasn't performed when it mattered.

"I don't mind saying Alexander Semin's name because he's one guy who has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league, and for whatever reason just doesn't care," Bradley said. "When you've got a guy like that you need him to be your best player, or one of your best players, and when he doesn't show up, you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia. That's tough to win when you've got a guy like that who's supposed to be your best player not being your best player. Or one of your best players."

Bradley was also critical of star players getting ice time in the playoffs despite struggling.

"There were a lot of guys who played well that didn't probably play as much as they needed to, but I love Bruce (Boudreau) and Bruce is a great coach and he was in a very tough position there, because in Washington our top guys are definitely the stars and the guys that people want to see on the ice, so I totally understand," Bradley said. "That just doesn't happen on our team, it happens on a lot of teams.

"When you're paying your top guys a lot of money and those guys carry you through the whole season, and if one of them isn't going, it's very hard not to play them, and I understand that that's tough. But I think in the end, if you want to win, sometimes you have to sit some of those guys down and maybe send a message and try to get them going."

Asked if Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin was all in for winning a Stanley Cup, Bradley had nothing bad to say.

"I never worry about Ovi," he said. "He's an all-in guy. He's young; he makes his mistakes the same as anyone would. I often try to put myself in his position. And you've got to remember, he's 25 years old, he's got a guaranteed $120 million, he's on top of the world, and he still for the most part makes the right decisions.

"Ovi has some growing up to do as far as taking care of himself and things like that, but as far as his want to win, he really does just want to win the games, and he doesn't care if he scores or not. That isn't an act. He's a great guy, great player. I'd never say anything bad about him."

Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau spoke on TSN 1050 Wednesday and initially declined comment on Bradley's remarks, but answered when pressed on what Ovechkin's response may be.

"He's in Siberia. He may not get [word of] it. I don't know," Boudreau told TSN 1050 of Bradley's comments. "By the time training camp comes around, I think it'll die."

As for Semin, Boudreau agreed with Bradley's talent assessment.

"He's a great player. I always think he's going to have a 50-goal year, before (the season) starts. He's just so talented," he said.

The Capitals finished first in the Southeast Division the past four seasons, winning the Presidents' Trophy in 2009-10, but failed to advance to the Conference final and only got past the first round twice.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

DESPITE NBA PEDIGREE, JONES A NATURAL AT HOCKEY

TSN.CA STAFF Aug 17, 2011

It's not necessarily the crossover Popeye Jones was thinking of.

Jones, the journeyman power forward who spent 11 seasons on six different NBA teams, had envisioned a pro career for his middle son, Seth.

Having had his three sons spend plenty of time with him in various locker rooms in the NBA, it seemed like hoops was an obvious choice.

"He's built like a basketball player," said father Popeye, now an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets. "He's 6'3", 6'4". He has long arms, can handle the ball, he's left-handed, can handle the ball. He can dunk."

So it still comes as somewhat of a shock to his father that 16-year-old Seth is starring in hockey instead. In fact, the standout defenceman has made headlines for cracking Team USA's summer roster for the upcoming World Junior Hockey Championship.

And for those that like projections, Seth Jones is already receiving much buzz and fanfare as one of the potential top draft choices for 2013 - the first year he becomes NHL Draft-eligible.

"He was kind of disappointed, or confused a bit. He had no idea what hockey was," Seth recalls. "My dad played basketball. I didn't really get into it. It just wasn't fast enough for me."

"We'd always ask him: 'you want to play baseball, you want to play basketball?' He'd always say no. He wouldn't say I love hockey, he'd say, I'd love to skate," Popeye said. "As a parent, you're like 'ice hockey?' Especially as a professional basketball player. I don't know anything about ice hockey."

A few choice encounters sent the Jones boys down the hockey path. While in Dallas, Popeye befriended then-Stars captain Mike Modano, who invited the young Mavericks forward and his family to a charity hockey event, which became an annual occurrence.

Then, while with the Nuggets, the Pepsi Center's other tenant, the Avalanche, were consistent Stanley Cup contenders. With Seth's sports interest leaning to the ice, Popeye ran into then-Avalanche captain Joe Sakic.

"I stopped him and started talking to him," Jones recalls. "I said, 'Joe, my kids want to play ice hockey. I don't know anything about ice hockey. What do I do?' He looked at me and said 'from the look of you, your kids are going to be huge, and they're going to be good athletes. You're just going to have to teach them how to skate.'"

Jones has excelled since joining Team USA's National Team Development Program. On the Under-17 squad, he scored four goals and 17 assists. He was also able to get in 20 games with the U-18 team, where he posted 10 assists. He culminated his year by helping the Americans win gold at the World U-18 Championships in Germany, where Jones had three assists in six games.

But his impact on a game goes beyond goals and assists. Ask those who see him on a regular basis, and they rave about all the intangible qualities he brings to the table.

"The puck skills and the skating skills - that's one part of it. He sees the ice very well. He makes good decisions out there," said Jim Johannson, general manager of USA's National Junior Team. "He has hockey sense in all aspects of the game."

His U-17 coach, Danton Cole, described his star blueliner to Yahoo! Sports as a point guard.

"When it needs to go fast he speeds it up," Cole says. "When it needs to go slow he slows it down. His poise and maturity are an interesting combination. He's a tremendously mature young man as well. That kid was born to play hockey."

But there's still basketball influences that have helped carve out his promising career too. While his dad was with Dallas, Seth had a chance to watch NBA All-Star Dirk Nowitzki put in work on a daily basis. It was a great lesson for Jones to see such talented players who were so dedicated to their craft.

"You notice how much work he puts into it behind the scenes that nobody else sees and how much it pays off in games," Jones said.

And then there's that basketball-like swagger, which came into play when he accepted the challenge of trying to make the U.S. World Junior squad.

"People always tell me go for the experience. Even if you don't make it, it's okay," he said. "I don't really roll that way. I came here to make the team."

Count it as another feat accomplished in a sport that his father has yet to fully get a grasp of.

"Was I surprised that he made the cut? Ya, a little surprised," Jones said. "But when he puts his mind to something, he's pretty good at accomplishing things."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Testing, testing

Sportsnet.ca John Shannon August 18, 2011

The NHL's research and development camp allows the league to try some new things, but rule changes take time.

It's funny how things evolve. And I truly think the NHL is onto something, as far as this research and development camp goes. Not as much for the attempt at tweaking the game, or the lines on the ice, but rather the creation of the unofficial opening of the NHL season.

League executives were there, so were at least half of the general managers and a pretty good swath of media. Heck, there was even a former owner-turned-proud-parent in the group. All thirsting for a dose of the game.

And while there were those who would say most of the managers were there to watch the 2012 draft prospects who were scrimmaging, there were a couple of tangible changes to the playing surface that might help the game.

At either end of the benches, new curved glass will find its way into the 30 rinks. Gone will be the 90-degree glass and stanchion that is dangerous for the players. Feel free to call it the "Pacioretty Curve." Still to be determined is whether the glass will be considered part of the playing surface or out of play if it is hit by an errant puck. Bet on the latter.

There were some interesting changes around the goal. This is where senior VP of hockey operations Mike Murphy has long lobbied for the addition of a "Verification Line" (directly behind the goal line exactly one puck width apart). Day One of the camp, the line did receive a great deal of praise. It is a logical, simple, visual way to see if the puck is across the goal line. If it touches the verification line, it has to be in. It wouldn't surprise me to see it used even as early as this season.

As well, the hockey operations group has adapted some of the goal's netting from above to allow for a much clearer look at pucks across the goal line for video review.

By the way, with no managers' meetings planned between now and the start of the season, if the NHL felt strongly enough, they would put it to the GMs and the owners via conference call in September. Changing the playing environment is much easier than actually changing the rules of the game.

As far as rule changes, it was difficult to see just how much difference they could make. In the first scrimmage, everyone was waiting for that first power play, where the defending team wouldn't be able to ice the puck (a rule change that in my mind could slow the game down).

But alas the power play only lasted 26 seconds before the team with the man advantage took a penalty. On the second power play, a pretty shorthanded goal made everyone forget about the rule change and marvel at the skills of a 17 year old!

The 3-on-3 overtime didn't make an impact, neither did a few of the other small tweaks like allowing hand passes in all zones and the removal of the trapezoid. The examinations of those changes will have to have a much larger sample size. As in previous times, it would make the most sense to take advantage of the AHL game to see the long-term impact of these rules.

I talked to AHL president David Andrews about just that. Would he, in fact, be willing to make his league the "guinea pig" league?

The ever-diplomatic Andrews said, "We have not been asked to test anything, but if we were asked our standard approach is to consider any request that does not impact the integrity of our competition, or the seamless transition of players between our league and the NHL. Generally if the GMs are strongly in favour of a test, that would also influence us."

So, I can only think that the camp does serve a purpose.

Yes, beyond being the unofficial start of the season. But the purpose is certainly not to find a short-term fix for the game. Hockey is a game of actions and reactions. For every rule change, there will be on-ice actions/reactions that can only compound some issues.

Just ask Colin Campbell what happen to the game after the rule changes (or enforcement) of 2005. The power plays increased in the short term and the speed in the game increased, which allowed for more violent hits. And is it even possible to connect to dots to the issue of concussions today.

Rule changes take time, not in two days, but in hundreds of games. And while the camp does a good job at introducing some adaptations, it just too darn difficult to see if they work in these controlled scrimmages. It's not wrong to do them, just don't expect too much.

And it's just nice to be talking hockey again.

By the way, a couple of notes:

-- So who was the aforementioned former owner? Tampa Bay's Oren Koules, whose son Miles was one of the prospects. It put a smile on a few faces to see he and Gary Bettman share an embrace.

-- The prospects' uniforms had the initials "EJ" stitched into the left shoulder, in honour of the late E.J. McGuire, the VP of Central Scouting who passed away earlier this year and was a driving source of the two previous R&D camps.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL CONSIDERING IMMEDIATE CHANGE TO NETS

The Canadian Press, Aug 18 2011

TORONTO -- The nets used in NHL games could be taking on a different look this season.

After using a shallower model over two days at the research and development camp, league executive Brendan Shanahan indicated that the new nets will likely find their way into NHL arenas soon.

"I think that the shallow nets are something that I'd really like to try in at least an exhibition game and see how players react to it," Shanahan said Thursday.

The new design is 40 inches deep as opposed to the traditional 44 inches. It also features a clear plastic strip along the top, thinner mesh and a built-in high definition camera -- changes intended to make video review decisions easier.

Shanahan also liked a new "verification line" that runs three inches behind the goal-line and can be used in video review to help determine if a puck completely entered the net.

Since the changes being discussed won't impact the rulebook, the procedure for implementing them is still being ironed out. They'll likely be used during training camps and exhibition games before the hockey operations department makes a decision on whether they'll be used during the regular season.

"We're talking about the process and the steps that would go forward for that," said Shanahan.`

Some teams have already expressed a willingness to take part in further tests.

"We told the league, anything you want to try in the pre-season game we're willing to try," said Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke. "If this is a first look at it with 17 year olds -- albeit highly-skilled 17 year olds -- and the league feels like they need to look at it with NHL players, we're willing to try it in our pre-season games.

"We'll try the nets, the cameras, any rule changes they want to try. The other team has to consent, but if they need a guinea pig, we'll be the guinea pig."

The two coaches working the benches at the research and development camp both liked what they saw from the new nets. Dave Tippett of the Phoenix Coyotes and Dan Bylsma of the Pittsburgh Penguins had players commenting on the extra room they create.

"It's a small variation," said Tippett. "What you're doing is giving players more space to play. I don't think it has a negative effect on the game whatsoever. It's only a positive."

Another change likely coming to NHL arenas is a springloaded piece of curved glass near the benches designed to protect players from the stanchion. Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty suffered a concussion last season after taking a hit from Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara and slamming in to one of those at the Bell Centre.

"The curved glass, I think there's a really good chance we're going to see that in NHL games this year," said Shanahan. "I think we all agree that the curved glass makes the playing environment safer for our players so we want to have it in the game."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHL looks to inject more power into power play

JAMES MIRTLE - Globe and Mail - Aug. 17, 2011

More goals.

Fewer shootouts.

That seemed to be the underlying theme of Day 1 at the NHL’s research and development camp on Wednesday as two teams of top junior prospects were put through an array of new rules in the course of two games under the watchful eye of commissioner Gary Bettman and friends.

While most of those taking part were reluctant to classify the exercise as a search for more goals, the rule “rationales” given to media had “will potentially lead to more offence” next to many of the tweaks being tested.

Several involved making power plays even more valuable, with penalized players serving the full two minutes and penalty killers called for icing the puck.

“To me the goaltending is so good and the penalty killers are so strong, I think it’s time there’s a little more advantage for the power play,” said Phoenix Coyotes coach Dave Tippett, who is behind one of the benches for the camp.

“It creates more opportunities. I think the players are so good these days, there’s fewer and fewer mistakes. So you have to find places where they can use their skill even when a mistake isn’t made.”

NHL vice-president Brendan Shanahan, who is running the camp in its second year, said that since he first entered the league as a player in the late 1980s, power plays have become less and less a factor and he likes the idea of increasing that advantage.

“The shift in the advantage has certainly gone to coaching and the penalty kill,” Shanahan said. “When you start thinking about the fact we give an advantage to the PK in that they’re allowed to ice the puck, you start to wonder why, because they’ve broken a rule and gotten a penalty, now we’re going to let them break this other rule?”

Goal scoring, meanwhile, has dropped roughly two goals a game since Shanahan was a rookie, although there remains a divide among those who run the game about what, if anything, should be done about the trend.

“We’ve been talking about goal scoring for 15 years, haven’t we?” Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said. “We changed the game dramatically coming out of the lockout and I think we saw a bit of a blip in scoring, but the reason was we saw so many 5-on-3 power plays.

“I don’t have a big concern that we need to increase scoring. I think the game’s exciting. Goaltenders are better, they’re bigger and their equipment is bigger. That’s the biggest reason in my opinion.”

That issue, however, won’t be addressed at the camp. While they’re using shallower nets with more cameras, thinner mesh, a verification line and a Plexiglass top, testing larger goals (or smaller goalies) isn’t on the league’s radar even in an experimental camp setting like this.

(This despite the fact NHL goaltenders now average 6 foot 2 and 200 pounds – an increase of three inches and 15 pounds in the past 20 years – in a trend that has led to many teams considering only tall netminders as prospects.)

The longstanding taboo on altering the net size leaves Shanahan with less drastic changes to consider, including one on Wednesday in which players played four minutes of 4-on-4 overtime and then three minutes of 3-on-3 overtime.

The rationale for the rule?

“It is believed that the extra ice created by 3-on-3 will lead to more scoring chances and overtime goals.”

Yzerman said he supported playing more than the current five minutes of overtime, something that would reduce the impact of shootouts, which have become a regular target for GMs since their introduction in 2005.

Several lamented the fact that more than 12 per cent of NHL games were decided by the shootout last season. Meanwhile, leagues that have adopted some 3-on-3 in overtime, like the British Columbia Hockey League, have seen dramatically more games ended in the extra frame.

Of all the rules being tested this week, that alteration to overtime may well be the most influential one with a hope of being implemented, perhaps as soon as 2012-13, when the league also gets a new collective agreement and realigns to accommodate the Winnipeg Jets.

League employee that he is, however, Shanahan wouldn’t go so far as to declare war on the shootout.

“We’re not de-emphasizing the shootout,” he said, cracking a smile. “We’re enhancing overtime.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The NHL of the future - League tries new tech, rule tweaks

By LANCE HORNBY, QMI Agency, Aug 18 2011

TORONTO - The best parts of this year’s NHL research and development camp at the MasterCard Centre will likely be seen on the TV screen.

As 36 top draft eligible players tried new concepts in faceoffs, offsides, icings and penalty kills on Wednesday, rinkside techies studied camera angle through clear plastic mesh, new net-cams and a goal ‘verification’ line.

“It’s not as sexy as a rule change,” said Brendan Shanahan, the league’s vice-president and camp supervisor, “but it can certainly have a big say in how a game is decided.”

A transparent strip behind the crossbar enabled overhead cameras to shoot straight into the cage and what little mesh remains is woven thinner than normal to allow even better clarity.

“The clear strip is the same strength as the ribbon on the back of the net,” said Kris King of hockey operations. “We’re also pouring water and Gatorade on it for a test, knowing our goalies will try everything they can to (obscure the camera).”

The yellow/green verification line, which can be implemented immediately if the league decides they like the contrasting colour, is set back three inches from the red goal stripe, the same size as a puck.

“On an HD camera, you can really pick up the puck.” said King, who often mans the league’s war room in Toronto on disputed goals. “It takes away that black area.

“We’re also trying a new net-cam that will show the entire goal line. It gives you a second look at the line, because sometimes that overhead camera will get blocked out by a player or a goalie’s arm. We used that in the Stanley Cup semifinals and the final last year.”

The net itself at this camp is four inches shallower. The mesh nearest the posts also has a clear vertical ribbon so that referees out of position can have a side window into the back of the net to judge goals. Smaller nets are also supposed to encourage wraparound goals.

“That’s the thing I noticed most,” said goaltender Chris Driedger of the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen. “I had to stop a quick (chance) that surprised me and I thought ‘wow that was fast.’ Wraparound goals are pretty rare, so it’s going to make us be sure to keep on our feet.”

As much as the kids and head coaches Dan Bylsma of Pittsburgh and Dave Tippett of Phoenix studied the camp itinerary, it took some adjusting during Wednesday’s two scrimmage games. Players could not change on offsides, no icing was permitted on penalty kills and delayed penalties required clearing the zone, not just getting possession. On Thursday, teams will have to kill full two-minute penalties, no matter how many goals are scored.

“The coaches were curious about it today and tried to play around with it,” Shanahan said. “That’s what this camp is for, pushing the envelopes, seeing what works and what doesn’t.”

Bylsma received full marks for ingenuity when he pulled his goalie, Collin Olson, on a power play — hoping to forecheck Tippet’s team into a giveaway, since Tippet’s players couldn’t ice the puck. But the strategy back-fired with Tippet’s team scoring a short-handed goal into Bylsma’s empty net.

“If this (experiment) draws more attention to the (25th-ranked) power play in Pittsburgh, I’m not sure it’s a good thing,” cracked Bylsma.

“You saw a bit after the lockout, that good players — good power-play players — should have the chance to be good. I think that’s something we all want. Not being able to (get to even strength) in a two-minute power play, or ice the puck, gives skill players more opportunity on the ice.

“Being able to skate and make a play with the puck wasn’t maybe the strongest suit of the best penalty killers in our game. Now you’re forcing players in tough situations and that forces turnovers.”

Shanahan was reluctant to say which of these experiments could be fast-tracked.

“A couple of years ago we thought too many games were being decided in overtime and without making too many rule changes, that seemed to straighten itself out. One of the misconceptions is that we have to go out and test 30 new things, when there are about 20 we are repeating (from 2010) to get more data. We love the way the game is played and we think it’s entertaining for our fans. So this is a great time to study it.

“If, for any reason, two, three or four years down the road, we see a trend we don’t like, we’re going to have years of information to back it up. This is about being proactive.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Who has the best hands in the NHL?

The Hockey News Jamie McLennan 2011-08-29

Hello everyone. I’m very excited to be back writing for The Hockey News. When I was wrapping up my career, I had a blog with tales about playing hockey in Japan with my good pal and very leather-skinned friend, Tyson Nash.

Since then, I retired, worked for the Calgary Flames organization for three years (which I loved every minute of) and transitioned to the media side by working for TSN on their various TV and radio shows.

One thing I have always loved is the game of hockey. I knew what I was as a player, am very proud of it and was extremely fortunate to have played pro for so many years. Not only was I lucky enough to have played with some of the best goalies of all-time in Grant Fuhr, Ron Hextall, Roberto Luongo and Miikka Kiprusoff, but also with some of the best players of all-time: Chris Pronger, Brett Hull, Pierre Turgeon, Wendel Clark, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier, Joe Nieuwendyk and Jarome Iginla (yes, it pains me to say it, because I like taking shots at Iggy, but he is), plus many amazing players in between.

I’ve been blessed: Hockey has brought me incredible lifelong friendships and experiences I will cherish forever.

OK, enough of the trip down memory lane. I will touch on those stories throughout my columns as I get questions and settle in. I was uncertain on where I wanted to start, but I will share a tiny story and build from there.

In my last few years in the NHL I got to watch a lot of hockey backing up Roberto Luongo and Miikka Kiprusoff, but on one particular night I was put in against Detroit.

Pavel Datsyuk was coming down the ice on his off wing and I was outside my crease in what I thought was a good position. I had read the rush and examined what his options were coming over the blueline: he basically had a 2-on-2 play with Henrik Zetterberg (also a scary player to face), but from what I could see, both my D-men were in good position to handle the play. Their gap was great, their stick positioning was perfect to take the pass away and it should have been a nothing play.

Well, obviously Datsyuk had other ideas, because as he got over the blueline, he faked to drive wide, cut hard to the top of the circle, moved laterally as fast as he was going forward, put the puck through the D-man’s stick, faked a pass to a streaking Zetterberg and, in full stride, snapped a ridiculous shot short side shelf that I was way too late to get.

Now, as a goalie, the moment a goal goes in you try to assess what you could have done better, why you didn’t prevent it and how to get better for next time. Obviously, getting beat on a short side glove shot is a no-no in Goaltending 101, but when watching the replay on the JumboTron – and then again later on video – yes, there were a few technical errors on my part. That was when I witnessed how amazing Datsyuk’s hands are. Some things stick out in a goalie’s mind over his career and that goal will be ingrained in my mind for quite some time.

This leads me to my list ranking the best hands in the NHL. There are so many guys to choose from, but that’s the beauty of opinion from experience.

1. Pavel Datsyuk

A game-changer who makes everyone around him better. He has the vision to see plays two and three steps ahead of everyone.

2. Joe Thornton

Has hands of butter for a large man. He’s an elite passer with vision and tremendous strength on the puck.

3. Daniel and Henrik Sedin

I could never tell the difference between these two anyway and it doesn’t matter – they both have the puck on a string and make goalies look terrible. Plus, I think they’re telepathic: I’ve never witnessed them talking to each other on the ice, but they always seem to find the blade.

4. Martin St-Louis

Just ask Steven Stamkos how good St-Louis’ hands are. Everything about Marty is done at full speed; great anticipation and vision.

5. Corey Perry

Has such a long reach and uses his size and strength to maneuver around the net. He has a tricky release with deceptive speed.

Honorable Mentions: Patrick Kane, Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby.

That’s it for this week, thanks for reading.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

"Monday's With Murray"

Taking Note - Gregg Drinnan - Tuesday Aug 30, 2011

This year, we welcome five talented college journalists into the family of "Murray Scholars." This week we introduce you to the Murray Scholar from St. Bonaventure University, Tyler Diedrich.

Tyler Diedrich was born on June 30, 1990 in Rochester, N.Y. He lives in Hilton, a suburb of Rochester, and graduated from Hilton High School in 2008. Tyler's parents are Jeff and Laurie Diedrich, and he has a brother, Jacob (18), and a sister, Molly (16).

Tyler is a senior journalism and mass communication student at St. Bonaventure University with a 3.73 cumulative GPA. He is the managing editor of The Bona Venture, and a reporter for SBU-TV. Diedrich is a member of Kappa Tau Alpha, the national honor society for journalism and mass communication students, and Phi Eta Sigma, a national freshman honor society.

His interests include watching football (Miami Dolphins and Notre Dame) and NASCAR, playing basketball, church, the media, food, travel and Christmas. After graduation in May, he hopes to pursue a career as a broadcast or print journalist. You may follow Tyler on Twitter @TylerDiedRich.

Tyler wrote his essay on Paul Weiland, a professor at St. Bonaventure and former public relations director for the Buffalo Sabres.

———
Tyler's Winning Essay:

If you're fortunate enough to converse with Paul Wieland for five minutes, you will quickly realize you're going to need 20 or 30 more.

Asking Wieland, a lecturer at St. Bonaventure University, one question routinely elicits a response marked by blatant honesty and an amusing anecdote or two.

In a faculty at St. Bonaventure's Russell J. Jandoli School of Journalism and Mass Communication that features a former federal prosecutor, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter, a Franciscan friar and a college geology major turned newspaper reporter, Wieland is perhaps the most intriguing character.

As the Buffalo Sabres' public relations director for 25 years, beginning in their inaugural 1970-71 season, Wieland gained notoriety for his annual April Fools' Day shenanigans.

Each year, Wieland performed some sort of hoax — whether it be a press release or an on-air gag — that consistently fooled audiences into believing farfetched innovations.

An April 1, 1977, press release concocted by Wieland announced the Sabres would be installing plastic "Sliderex" ice, the first of its kind in the NHL, in Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium.

WGR-TV sports director Ed Kilgore not only fell for the hoax but also made it the lead story on his sportscast the night before the announcement was supposed to be made.

"He made a complete ass of himself," Wieland said, "which I thought was pretty funny, especially when I called him up on his private line after the telecast and complained that he broke my release date."

In the early '80s, another April 1 press release got Wieland in hot water with the federal government after he used White House stationery, including a fake signature from President Ronald Reagan, to print fake TIME magazine covers and 200,000 decals declaring the Sabres "America's Hockey Team."

"I didn't expect to fool anybody. I was just having fun," Wieland said. "So then I get a call from the AP in Washington telling me that I committed a federal crime. (The government was) considering prosecuting me because you're not allowed to use the president's signature on anything as a gag or (use) White House stationery. I had broken two federal laws. I didn't get arrested, though. They didn't want to make me a celeb, I guess."

Perhaps Wieland's most memorable prank occurred during the phone-in 1974 NHL Amateur Draft.

"We decided to drive (NHL president Clarence) Campbell crazy," Wieland said. "I came up with the idea, 'Let's draft a Japanese hockey player.'"

Wieland and general manager Punch Imlach created Taro Tsujimoto from the fictitious Tokyo Katanas (Japanese for "Sabres"). Buffalo drafted Tsujimoto in the 12th round, prompting Campbell to repeat the selection to each NHL team over the phone before each made its picks.

"All these people in the NHL are going crazy, (asking), 'Who the freak is drafting a Japanese player?'" Wieland said. "(Tsujimoto) was in, until two years ago, the NHL record book. To this day, you can go online and buy Taro Tsujimoto hockey shirts and T-shirts. If you go to a Sabres game in Buffalo and walk around that arena, I'll bet you a nickel that you'll find someone wearing a Taro Tsujimoto shirt. It just became a legend in the NHL. That will probably be in my obit."

Lee Coppola, dean of the Jandoli school, was the Sabres' press box manager under Wieland from 1970-78. He said most people in the Sabres organization found Wieland's antics strange.

"They just could not understand why he was doing some of the things he did," Coppola said. "Of course, I thought he was hilarious, but (he was) really pushing the envelope on a lot of the things he did. He just has this wacky sense of humor. He has to do these quirky things that no one would think of anybody doing."

Wieland, a 1959 St. Bonaventure graduate, heads his alma mater's TV station, SBU-TV. The station features weekly newscasts and owns a remote production truck used to televise live sporting events.

St. Bonaventure senior Erin Lowry, a student in both courses, said Wieland's personality endears him to his students despite a large generation gap.

"In his many years, like a well-aged wine, Paul has still kept his sense of humor," Lowry said. "I like that his antics make him like a small schoolboy putting a thumbtack on a teacher's seat before she sits down. I like that he's proud of the goofball things that he does."

Lowry said she appreciates Wieland's candid honesty.

"The first story I ever did, he basically told me it was crap," Lowry said. "Just having that from the get-go, it motivated me to go out and find the best possible angle of stories and the right people to interview. He really does a good job of bringing out the best in people and pushing people to find the best stories they can."

Lowry's classmate Jake Sonner said Wieland's presence inside the production truck during basketball games both entertains and informs.

"Watching how his mind works around a live television broadcast is really quite interesting. You think it would be a stressful situation, (but) with him directing it was not stressful at all," Sonner said. "The guy knows the ins and outs of just about everything in that truck, so I think he's one of the most knowledgeable — in one particular field — of any professor I've ever had."

Coppola, a 1964 St. Bonaventure graduate, said Wieland is a much more intelligent man than his childlike psyche suggests.
"I think the trouble with his intelligence is it's so high that he's got to exhibit it in these strange and quirky, humorous ways," Coppola said. "He's a very competent sports person . . . competent PR guy, competent faculty member, competent in basically everything he's ever done."

Just how valuable is Wieland to the Jandoli school?"

On a scale of one to 10 . . . 12," Coppola chuckled. "He's just a talented individual."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FORMER CAPITAL STECKEL BACKS BRADLEY'S COMMENTS ABOUT SEMIN

TSN.ca Staff 8/31/2011

Matt Bradley's recent critique of Alexander Semin and his previous employer is being backed by another former Capital.

New Jersey Devils forward David Steckel, who spent the majority of last season with the Capitals before being traded in February, defended the comments of his former teammate.

Speaking to the Washington media, the 29-year-old did not dispute Bradley's statements, which described a lack of effort from Semin and a lack of discipline from the team on the ice and in the playoffs.

"It's not like he went out and told lies," Steckel told reporters. "(He) didn't really say anything bad about anybody. He just stated what he felt."

Bradley, who signed with the Florida Panthers after six seasons in Washington, caused a stir with comments that he made in an interview with the Team 1200 radio station in Ottawa.

Among the targets of Bradley's words were Semin's effort level and the team's lack of discipline.

"I don't mind saying Alexander Semin's name because he's one guy who has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league, and for whatever reason just doesn't care," said Bradley at the time. "When you've got a guy like that you need him to be your best player, or one of your best players, and when he doesn't show up, you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia."

Steckel believes that Bradley's experience in the league gives him the right to speak his mind on the topic.

"First reaction was like, 'Brads, what did you do?'" said Steckel. "Then I read the transcript and, I mean, it's Brads. It's not like he's somebody breaking into the league telling things that nobody knows about already. He's an elder statesman in the league; he's been around and he's in a different organization now."

Bradley wasn't all negative when he spoke about his former squad. He also shared some praise for the team's superstar, Alexander Ovechkin.

"I never worry about Ovi," said Bradley. "He's an all-in guy. He's young; he makes his mistakes the same as anyone would. I often try to put myself in his position. And you've got to remember, he's 25 years old, he's got a guaranteed $120 million, he's on top of the world, and he still for the most part makes the right decisions.

While not willing to respond himself, Steckel once again agreed with Bradley's assessment of the situation

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

PREDATORS: FORMER NHLER BELAK FOUND DEAD IN TORONTO

TSN.CA STAFF 8/31/2011

Former NHLer Wade Belak has been found dead in his Toronto condo, according to a Nashville Predators spokesman.

The cause of his death is as of yet undetermined.

The team released the following statement:

“The entire Nashville Predators organization and family is shocked and saddened by the sudden and untimely passing of Wade Belak. Wade was a beloved member of the organization, a terrific teammate and wonderful father and husband who will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Jennifer and children Andie and Alex. We offer our full support to them at this very difficult time.”

Belak played 15 games last season for the Predators, finishing with 18 penalty minutes and a minus-1 rating. He was placed on waivers by the club in February of this year. He retired shortly after clearing waivers unclaimed.

Former NHL tough guy Georges Laraque joined TSN Radio's Cybulski & Company shortly after the news of Belak's death broke and spoke about the pressures of being an enforcer on the ice.

"Now I think people will realize the tough job of playing in the NHL and the tough job of being a heavyweight," he said. "It takes a lot mentally. It's really hard."

He went on about the realities that come with punching your weight for a living in the NHL.

"When you retire after being a heavyweight for as many years as you played, most of those guys didn't make [much] money, so there's no options for them after," Laraque said. "So, after you have all this pressure of playing and fighting for a living, now you have to fight to live when life after hockey is over."

Many of Belak's former teammates took to Twitter to express their disbelief.

"Wade Belak was one of funniest dudes I had ever met. Just was with him earlier this summer. Can't believe it Thoughts and prayers to his fam," tweeted recent Preds teammate Blake Geoffrion.

Former Maple Leafs teammate Owen Nolan also expressed his shock via Twitter.

"I'm lost for words. Wade Belak RIP my friend," his tweet read.

The 35-year-old Belak spent parts of 14 seasons in the NHL with Nashville, Toronto, Florida, Calgary and Colorado. In 549 career games he scored eight goals and added 25 assists, while racking up 1263 penalty minutes.

He was originally drafted by the Quebec Nordiques in the first round, 12th overall, at the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

HOCKEY CANADA AND ITS 13 BRANCHES COMMIT TO SIX PRIORITIES OF FOCUS FOR 2011-12 SEASON

August 26, 2011 NR.107

MONTREAL, Que. – Following a planning session last July in Penticton, B.C., Hockey Canada’s officers committed to six priorities of focus for the 2011-12 season. Today, following a board of directors meeting in Montreal, Hockey Canada’s board of directors and its 13 branches have committed to the same priorities.

“This is a great day for Hockey Canada,” said Michael Bruni, chairman of the Hockey Canada Board of Directors. “Hockey Canada’s officers, its board of directors and its 13 branches are moving forward together, making changes we feel will be beneficial for the growth of our game. We have an opportunity to change the game, to make sure hockey in Canada stays strong for years to come. These priorities are a credit to the courage and leadership of Hockey Canada’s officers, board of directors and 13 branches.”

HOCKEY CANADA OFFICERS’ SIX PRIORITIES OF FOCUS FOR 2011-12

To spirit the attitude and create mechanisms in player movement to facilitate flexibility within the game reflecting the needs of the modern player and family.

To service sport schools and create a positive and flexible infrastructure that meets the needs of this Hockey Canada customer.

To address and create the opportunity for flexible seasons, allowing players and families to participate in both hockey and other activities comfortably.

To recognize and enhance exciting non-contact streams and to encourage and spirit more non-contact streams as a viable and credible participatory program.

To encourage and embark upon relationships and partnerships with entrepreneurs/private hockey programs and work together to provide the best development programs for the player.

To proactively work with Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), recognizing it as a critical part of a vision of the Canadian student/athlete alternative, with particular focus on female hockey.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Former Flyer Fedoruk battles 'demons' to get back

Tim Panaccio CSNPhilly.com August 31, 2011

This time, when Todd Fedoruk smiles, the teeth are all there.

The wonders of facial plastic surgery and dental work for a former Flyers’ enforcer, who is trying to return to the National Hockey League this fall on a tryout contract with Vancouver.

“I’d like the chance to get out there and play again,” said the 32-year-old winger, who’s been working since mid-July at Skate Zone.

“If I make it, it’s awesome. If I don’t, I can say I gave it my all … you don’t always get a second chance.”

This could be “The Fridge’s” last chance since being bought out of his contract in Tampa two years ago. He sat out all of last season wrestling personal “demons,” he said.

“I stayed with the family here in New Jersey,” said Fedoruk, who still owns a house in Mt. Laurel, N.J. “Worked on other things, had nothing to do with the game. I trained with my wife. We bought a gym membership. That was about it.”

Fedoruk needed time away from the game. Between 1999-2000 and the end of the 2004-05 season, the left winger was part of the Flyers organization, either as a Phantom, a call-up, or a regular roster player with the Flyers.

Since the lockout, however, he’s been a rolling stone, playing with six NHL clubs, including a half-season with the Flyers in 2006-07.

Such is the life of an enforcer, who’s had 101 career fights in the NHL, according to hockeyfights.com.

You go where the work is.

Yet being cut by Tampa was a “blessing in disguise,” Fedoruk said, because his life had been unraveling around him between the stops in Anaheim and Dallas and Minnesota and …

“It needed to happen so I could get myself back on track,” he said.

“I had a history of battling some things away from the game … battled some demons off the ice. I had to re-prioritize my life. After that settled down, I got myself back on track.

“When I was young and growing up … I always had trouble finding my niche where I fit in. After some dark times, I had to go away to a place and learn some things about behavioral issues and some type of diseases I may have.”

Fedoruk had an alcohol addiction that began at the age of 20 in the Western Hockey League.

“I found out about alcoholism and addiction at an early age,” he said. “Afterward [I got] some help from people who had similar issues. The answers I got were ‘ah ha’ moments. I learned a lot of about myself and fully agreed with their assessment on how I dealt with things.

“And how those things were directly entangled with drugs and alcohol. You make mistakes. I was one of those cases who fell back into it. You hit bottom.”

When Tampa bought out his contract in 2010, Fedoruk hit bottom. The recovery began last season when he sat out.

“I’ve been sober and clean for a year and six months come Oct. 26,” Fedoruk said proudly.

“It’s one of the things you have to stay vigilant on and continue to work with it. Stay humble with it.”

There are reminders.

The death of former Minnesota teammate Derek Boogaard last May hit Fedoruk hard. Boogaard had actually nearly destroyed Fedoruk’s face during a fight in 2006 when the latter played in Anaheim. Both became good friends a few years later in Minnesota.

“His death was an eye opener,” Fedoruk said. “It was humbling to go through. That could have been me or a lot of other guys I know who deal with problems of drugs and alcohol.

“It’s not just hockey players, either. It comes from all walks of life.”

Ferdoruk believes most NHL enforcers have issues off the ice. Mental things that drag them down.

He says most enforcers are never really secure in their role or with their team and are always wondering whether they “fit.” That’s their common bond, he said.

“It seems more and more, the guys who are demon fighters are the ones who play this role,” he said. “I don’t know if this goes hand-in-hand or you have to be a little crazy to do what we do. It’s a price you pay.”

With some rewards, he says.

“It’s an important role,” Fedoruk said. “Not so much the fighting … play with a physical presence to make guys think that you are out there.

“It does a lot for the pride of team when a guy can say, ‘we’ll, he’s got my back.’”

The year away from the game and workouts convinced Fedoruk he could make a comeback. When he watched former Phantom/Flyer teammate Dennis Seidenberg win the Stanley Cup with Boston last June, the urge to compete got to him.

“I’m a hockey player,” Fedoruk said. “I’d be kicking myself later if I didn’t try to come back.”

On July 16, he began working out with Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin at Skate Zone while his agent, Brad Devine, worked on him getting a tryout contract with the Canucks.

“I was not expecting a call from Vancouver,” Fedoruk said. “That was all I could ask for.”

Ferdoruk says that McCrossin’s punishing workouts are responsible for him getting back in shape.

“Jimmy knows me, knows my body, he’s trained me my whole career,” he said. “I worked with some younger players. Those guys are your measuring stick.

“You work hard to get in shape because of them. Jimmy’s workout can crush you. It was solid foundation of where I needed to be for a training camp and maybe impress someone.”

On Sept. 8, Fedoruk leaves for Vancouver. The rest is out of his control.

“All I wanted was a chance,” Fedoruk smiled.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

ROD STEWART SON LIAM TO BE GB HOCKEY ACE

Daily Star (UK) - June 19, 2011

-----

Gregg Drinnan writes, "F Liam Stewart, the son of actress Rachel Hunter and rocker Rod Stewart, is in camp with the Spokane Chiefs. Right here is a story on Liam that appeared in the Daily Star in June."
-----

ROD STEWART'S teenage son Liam is being lined up to play for Great Britain.

And he’s already carved out a reputation as an exciting young talent after top-scoring last season for the Los Angeles Junior Kings Under-16s ice hockey side.

Now his mum, ex-model Rachel Hunter, has been in touch with the GB camp in the hope that Liam can get the go-ahead to play for the Lions in the future.

Even though he was born in London and has a British passport, he’s not eligible to wear the red, white and blue in the World Championships because he’s never played in this country.

His case is now being taken up and will be on the agenda of the world governing body, the International Ice Hockey Federation, at their autumn congress this September.

They will be asked to make a ­special exemption for the forward, 17, ­because of his family ­circumstances which meant he has been brought up in America.

Liam has lived with his mum since she split from rock legend Rod in 1999 when he was only four years old.

His football-loving rocker dad was a talented young footballer and signed as an apprentice for Brentford in 1961, a decade before he had his first No.1 hit with ­Maggie May.

Rod, who also had a hit with The First Cut Is The Deepest, set up a trust fund for Liam as part of the settlement after divorcing Rachel in 2006.

They’ve both regularly been in the stands at Liam’s matches.

Last season, his second with the Kings, he scored 24 goals and had 13 assists, which saw him drafted by US Hockey League side Lincoln Stars.

But he may not ice for the Nebraska team and was missing from last week’s try-out camp.

Six-footer Liam has had plenty of advice on how to make the big time – his mother’s former live-in lover Jarret Stoll has spent the last nine seasons in the NHL, three of them with the LA Kings.

Andy French, general secretary of Ice Hockey UK, said: “Rachel contacted us to say Liam would like to play for GB and since then I’ve been preparing a case for the IIHF.

“I’m optimistic we’ll get the right answer and he can play for the GB Under-18s.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Getting to Know: Nick Fotiu

Mark Malinowski The Hockey News 2011-09-04

Status: Former NHL left winger from 1976-1988 for the New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers, Calgary Flames, Philadelphia Flyers and Edmonton Oilers. Also played for the WHA's New England Whalers.

Ht: 6-foot-2 Wt: 210 pounds

DOB: May 25, 1952 In: Staten Island, N.Y.

First Hockey Memory: "Going to Madison Square Garden for my first time (vs. Philly). God told me that's what I'm going to do. I was 15, never played hockey before. I was just intrigued with the game."

Nickname: "‘Big Nick’ - Joey Mullen called me that when we played in Calgary. ‘Nicky Boy.’"

Last Book Read: "The Daily Racing Form. I don't read books."

Favorite Movies: "So many. Usually funny movies, like Midnight Run, My Cousin Vinny."

Hockey Inspirations: "What inspired me? That was it - going to Madison Square Garden for the first time. Everyone thought I was crazy for wanting to play for the New York Rangers. But I believe that's what God wanted me to do. My father (Nick), he taught me about the importance of hard work."

Funny Hockey Memory: "I was a practical joker. I played a lot of practical jokes. Like putting shaving cream in donuts. Pierre Larouche had the biggest mouth, you could hear him coming down the street he was so loud. We were playing the Islanders - you could hear him coming down the hall. He walks in the locker room with a coffee. He saw the donuts in the box, he said, ‘Oh, Bavarian cream - my favorite.’ He grabs a donut and takes a bite, he's walking around and still talking. Then all the sudden he realizes it's shaving cream in the donut and you could hear him spitting it out."

Embarrassing Hockey Memory: "When I played with Calgary, Dennis Hull was speaking at a ballroom at a Flames dinner. He mentioned me and how I liked to throw pucks to the fans, he said, ‘Here you go Nick’ and he threw a puck at me. Right then, this lady was walking up the aisle. I thought the puck was going to hit her in the head so I tried to catch it. I caught the puck, but my hand also caught a piece of her hair and I pulled off her wig. I look at Cliff Fletcher, who was the GM and they're on the floor laughing. I thought it was staged. I was saying to myself, ‘What the hell!’"

Greatest Sports Moment: "I have two. When I first stepped on the ice at Madison Square Garden. I wasn't crazy any more. And when I picked up a kid after warmups and skated him around the Garden ice. He had crutches. About five days later I got a letter. I was reading it at my locker. It was from that kid. He said, ‘I'll never be able to walk again, but you were my legs.’ I sat there struck. I never knew he was crippled. I'll never forget that."

Most Painful Moment: "When I kept on getting traded from the Rangers. Being the first New Yorker to play for the Rangers - they kept trading me."

Favorite Uniforms: "I'm biased - I wore the Rangers jersey since I was a kid. If I had a second favorite - Chicago Blackhawks."

Favorite Arenas To Play: "Madison Square Garden. Chicago Stadium. And The Forum in Montreal. Hockey Night In Canada against the Canadiens was unbelievable. You didn't ask me my most hated arena. (OK we'll start a new category - Arena you most disliked to play in?) The Spectrum. I hated to play there. I knew it was going to be a rough game. It was unreal. It was very hard mentally. Being a tough player in the NHL - there's a lot of pressure. You couldn't back down. It was really tough to play there. Some teams were beaten before they got off the bus on the ramp. I know that. I said to my teammates, ‘I'll fight your battles, but if someone jumps me, you have to protect me.’ But it was tough, the Flyers used to pound teams."

Closest Hockey Friends: "He died - Herbie Brooks. A very close friend. John Ferguson - he also passed away. Warren Strelow, the goalie coach. He also died. Seems like most of my friends passed away. Guys I played with - Ron Greschner. We talk a lot."

Funniest Players Encountered: "Blaine Stoughton - he played for Hartford and a little with the Rangers. What's his name - he played for Pittsburgh and Calgary...(Mike Bullard?) Yes. Mike Bullard was really funny. One time Lanny McDonald came on the bus with a new haircut. It didn't look good. Mike Bullard said to Lanny, ‘Nice haircut!’ Then turns his head and says, ‘Wooo’ (laughs). He was funny."

Toughest Competitors Encountered: "I would say this kid Kim Clackson. He was really tough. He was a small guy, but he would really compete. Bobby Nystrom was a tough competitor. Every team you played there was a guy you respected - guys who came to play. Team guys. Team players."

Most Memorable Goal: "When we were fighting for first place with the Islanders. I hit (Ken) Morrow and Mike Rogers and Greschner picked it up and went in and missed and the puck came out about 15 feet, I got it and beat Billy Smith. We won 3-2."

Strangest Game: "Snowstorm in Jersey. I think there were about 50 people in the stands. We were there at the arena since about 4:00 and the game didn't start ‘til about 11. That was the strangest game of my career. We lost to New Jersey. That was a weird game."

Favorite Players To Watch: "I liked Bobby Hull and Yvan Cournoyer. I got to cover Cournoyer my first game in The Forum. I kind of shut him down, but he scored a goal late. Ryan Callahan - a guy who kind of reminds me of myself. Not as tough as me, but he plays at 100 percent."

Hobbies/Interests: "Horse racing. I was always around horses growing up. My grandfather had thoroughbreds. I've been in the racing game since I was a little kid."

Favorite Sport Outside Hockey: "Horse racing. I played baseball. I was a PAL heavyweight champion in boxing. (Didn't you spar Renaldo Snipes, the former challenger of Larry Holmes?) Yes. And Gerry Cooney wants to spar with me. He's a good friend of mine. We talk all the time. He wants to spar. I said, ‘I'll spar you for one round in the ring if you spar one round with me on the ice.’ He wouldn't last one minute with me on the ice (laughs). One time we had a Mets vs. Rangers softball game. I was supposed to have a homerun hitting contest with Willie Mays. I hit four out. And he came up to me and said ‘10 years ago I'd do it, but not now.’"

People Qualities Most Admired: "As a player, the way they treat the fans. That quality of treating them nice and helping them, doing charity work. Put the fans first. Respect the fans."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Jamie McLennan: Top wacky-fan experiences

Jamie McLennan The Hockey News 2011-09-05

Welcome back everyone. Thanks for the responses to the first article - that’s the beauty of opinion, everyone has one and there were some great points raised. Every time I go to write something a flood of ideas come rushing in and I want to share so much with people who love hockey as much as I do. I want to tell some funny and weird stories here today.

I have always loved fan interaction…to a respectful point. I don’t care if someone disagrees with me on an opinion or something I have said or done, but whether I choose to engage them is also my choice and right as a player, coach, analyst and whatever I have been lucky enough to work at. But here are some of the things I have seen over the years that cross some form of weird/scary line.

One night I started a game in Vancouver while I was playing with St. Louis in the mid- to late-’90s. We always seemed to do Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver as a trip because of travel scheduling. So I got the start in Vancouver and from what I remember things were going pretty well. We had a lead and I had a shutout going in the third period (which was rare for me, 13 in my career).

The faceoff was in our end to my left. I was naturally in my crouch, ready for the puck drop, when I see a man jump onto the ice and run directly towards me. Now, because everyone was facing the circle and ready for the drop of the puck, no one had noticed this guy in full stride running directly towards me. I kept thinking, ‘This guy is going to attack me, what should I do? Should I skate at him and attack him first? Should I defend myself and give him my best Steven Segal defense technique?’ I had no idea what was in store and it was scary, so I just started to yell.

The linesman and everyone on the ice turned and looked at me making a scene on the ice. I yelled “hey, hey, hey, look, look, look” and pointed at this guy who was bombing toward me on the ice. Before he could get to the top of the circle the opposing defenseman, Enrico Ciccone, hooked him with his stick and corralled him. The refs took over from there and escorted this obviously very drunk and foolish man off the ice.

After the situation had been handled, everyone on the ice looked at each other and started laughing. The linesman blew the whistle and we got set for the play, but not before the ref leaned over to me and asked ‘should I give Ciccone a penalty for hooking?’ We both locked eyes and started laughing.

This was for sure one of the stranger moments I experienced in my career and I remember reading the next day that it was a college kid who did it as a dare. He was charged with some sort of silliness, but it was a very good topic for the boys to laugh about on the plane after the game.

This was my top strange/weird moment that I witnessed in my career - never a dull moment when it comes to very passionate fans.

Some other moments I’ve witnessed:

Playing against Utica in the minors in the early 1990s, I was sitting on the bench and a fan and I started to chirp each other because he was not happy with our team. He started calling me a benchwarmer (which was true through most of my career, but not in those days when I really was the starter) and I commented on how I didn’t think a comb-over hairdo hid the fact he was going to be bald by the time the game was over. I suggested a wig and he stood up, opened his coat and flashed a gun. I said, without hesitation, ‘sir, you have won this exchange, enjoy the game.’ Luckily the period ended and I got the hell out of there.

There have been lots of funny things over the years that have made me laugh or shake my head at and say “now I’ve seen it all.”

Like the time the goal judge was smoking during the game, ashtray on the boards, when the team I was playing for in Japan was playing a rival team in China. Or when a naked guy jumped over the glass in Calgary and knocked himself out.

A fan threw a puck onto the ice one time when a player was on a breakaway. The goalie and the player on the breakaway did not know what to do.

And, finally, a guy once tricked our public relations person into thinking he was the anthem singer that night then proceeded to sing a completely different song and run off with the microphone when security tried to get him off the ice.

I want to say events like these happen in every sport, but I just don’t think they do. Or maybe on some weird level I believe hockey fans to be not only the best, but the funniest and most entertaining of all sports.

Enjoy and see you next week. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter @jamiemclennan29.

Born in Edmonton, Jamie McLennan is a former NHL goaltender currently working as an analyst for TSN. Nicknamed 'Noodles,' McLennan was drafted by the Islanders in 1991. He played 254 NHL games with the Flames, Rangers, Panthers, Wild, Blues and Isles, compiling a 80-109-33 record. He will be writing for THN.com throughout the season.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 11 of 45