1339 posts :: Page 22 of 45
By: Likes:

Bell's NHL, NFL mobile streaming deals breach CRTC rules

CBC News, Dec 12, 2011

Deals that make Bell Mobility customers the only wireless users able to stream National Hockey League and National Football League games on their mobile devices are breaking Canadian broadcast rules, the CRTC says.

"Canadians shouldn't be forced to subscribe to a wireless service from a specific company to access their favourite content," said Konrad von Finckenstein, chair of the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission in a news release Monday announcing the decision.

Telus wanted to negotiate with Bell for the rights to NHL games and video highlights and NFL prime-time and playoff games, as well as NFL Network programming, for its own mobile customers.

It filed a complaint with the CRTC in January after negotiations were unsuccessful.

According to Michael Hennessy, senior vice president of regulatory and government affairs for Telus, Bell told Telus that it didn't have the right to sub-license the content and therefore could not negotiate.

The CRTC found that Bell Mobility's exclusive deals gave the company a "significant competitive advantage" and subjected Telus to an "undue disadvantage," violating 2009 rules that prohibit "undue preference" when dealing with internet or mobile content.

The commission has ordered Bell to file a report within 30 days explaining how it will ensure Telus has access to the NHL and NFL content "at reasonable terms."

Bell said Monday that it is studying the decision and can't comment on how it will move forward.

However, the company maintained that it doesn't have the right to sub-license or re-sell the NHL and NFL content.

"Bell does not control how the major leagues sell their rights in Canada," the company said in a statement. "The CRTC is imposing itself directly in how independent and in this case international content owners sell their content rights in Canada. We don’t have the ability to act on the CRTC’s behalf in the way they’re demanding."

However, Hennessy questioned whether that was true.

"All they have to do is get the permission of the content owner," he said. "The sports leagues are probably more than open to obeying whatever the laws of Canada are."

The CRTC ruled in September that companies such as Bell with rights to certain TV content must offer those rights to competitors at a reasonable price if the competitors want to broadcast content on mobile devices.

At that time, it proposed a code of conduct banning "anti-competitive behaviour" such as charging an "unreasonable rate," requiring the buyer to have minimum revenue or market penetration levels, or requiring the buyer to buy other programs in order to get the content that they want.

That ruling wasn't referenced in the latest decision because the complaint was filed before the ruling was made.

Companies are still allowed to offer exclusive programming to their internet or mobile customers if that content was produced specifically for the internet or a mobile device, such as behind-the scenes video clips.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Big difference this time around

Mark Spector, Sportsnet.ca, December 9, 2011

EDMONTON — As the National Hockey League governors reformatted their alignment and playoff system in California earlier this week, there were pockets across the Canadian prairies and the U.S. Northwest where hockey people were saying, "Didn’t we already go down this road?"

In fact, they have. The Western Hockey League long ago switched from a conference-based, one-through-eight playoff system to a divisional format where the postseason began with a traditional bus-ride rivalry. Exactly what the NHL has done.

That was back in the 2000-01 season. The difference was, years later the WHL went back.

"I remember the discussion being very similar to what the National Hockey League has gone through. We went to four divisions from an east-west conference (format) for the 2000-01 seasons," said WHL commissioner Ron Robison. "For six seasons, in the first round teams played within their divisions."

The Western League only stayed inside its division for one round. The NHL has divided into four conferences and plans to play the first two rounds within them, so they may declare four conference champs each season.

But what eventually spelled the demise of that format in junior hockey was the lack of parity. Any money made by lesser ravel in Round 1, anything gained by forging better rivalries with the team up the highway, was overshadowed by the fact teams with fewer points were making the playoffs in one division than a better team in another one.

"The big reason (for was original switch) was the concern over first-round playoff matchups and low attendance," began Maple Leafs amateur scout Roy Stasiuk, the general manager of the Lethbridge Hurricanes from 2005 to 2009. "Rivalries were going to help interest among fans. Rather than Moose Jaw playing Kootenay, they could end up playing Regina, Saskatoon or Prince Albert."

But something went wrong.

In Stasiuk’s first year as GM, the Hurricanes made the playoffs in the Central Division with 63 points. The next season Lethbridge had 71 points and missed, despite having more points than the third- and fourth-place teams in the Eastern Division. Prince Albert and Swift Current had fewer points in their weaker division, but they were in and Lethbridge was out.

"That's what went wrong," Stasiuk said. "Your performance in the regular season didn't bear out, because of the division setup."

"You didn’t travel as much, and it built better rivalries within the division," Robison said. But, he admits, the owners couldn’t get over the fact that the best eight teams weren’t making the playoffs.

Smaller, mostly five-team divisions in the WHL meant you only had to better than one team to make playoffs. And that’s where the difference begins between the two leagues.

In the NHL, seven- and eight-team conferences ensure there will be no playoff berth assured for one team just because the one below it in the standings is a disaster. And that can happen in junior hockey, when a team sells out one year to make the Memorial Cup and falls quite a distance the next.

"There is more parity in the NHL because of the salary cap," Stasiuk said.

And if nothing else, playing two rounds within the conference should improve the level of postseason play simply due to putting less wear and tear on the players. Plus, during the regular season there is a lot more to be gained by NHL teams (TV start times) than there was in the WHL.

"The NHL put competitiveness aside for the moment, and said, 'Let’s do what’s best for the industry,' " said Robison, who was surprised to see the NHL stick with the format through two rounds, not just one.

"I don't think there is (a perfect system)," he admits.

We like the new NHL system. But the minute somebody gets "Lethbridged," you know the howling is going to begin.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Campbell: Leafs sale means Toronto one step closer to second NHL team

Ken Campbell, The Hockey News, 2011-12-12

The first impression the new owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs made on you probably depends upon which target audience you comprise. If you’re a member of the business or investment community, they likely hit a tape-measure home run. This deal will undoubtedly open the taps even more at the Air Canada Centre and keep the money flowing.

But if you’re a fan, there was nothing in their initial address that would make you any more optimistic about a championship than you were prior to the announcement. Sure, these guys would love to win a Stanley Cup and if that’s a byproduct of their ownership, all the better. But let’s not kid ourselves, their primary concern is with getting their product on as many screens as possible, regardless of how good or bad it is.

Which brings us to the next thing that is crystal clear when it comes to the hockey scene in Toronto. And that is, any opposition to a second NHL team in Canada’s largest city evaporated before the ink was dry on the blood vow Canada’s two biggest communications conglomerates took when they spent $1.32 billion on 75 percent of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

And the importance of this cannot be overstated. When MLSE was taken over by BCE and Rogers, it essentially paved the way for the Phoenix Coyotes to move to the Greater Toronto Area as early as this summer, right around the time the Leafs sale gets approved by the NHL’s board of governors. Provided the group that is proposing to build a 20,000-seat arena in Markham (http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43120-Campbell-Construction-of-NHLsized-arena-to-be-proposed-in-Southern-Ontario.html) can get its shovels in the ground by then, the GTA will almost certainly emerge as the top contender to get the Coyotes.

Forget Quebec City for now. No owner, no clear vision for a new rink and exactly who is going to pay to have it built, which will likely scuttle its bid. There’s little chance Quebec will have all those details ironed out by the spring, when the league has to either have the Coyotes sold or decide whether it wants to continue to prop them up. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has already indicated the league has no appetite to do that and even pointed to the fact the deal to move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg wasn’t made until last May. That leaves the second Toronto team, which will likely be welcomed into the NHL by open, unanimous arms now that the team has been released from the clutches of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.

The Toronto/Markham group, led by Bauer chairman Graeme Roustan and Toronto billionaire developer Rudy Bratty, has its financing and building site in place, has gone through the design process and is well on its way to getting local approval to start building early in 2012.

There’s a good chance a Toronto franchise would have received approval from the NHL’s board of governors, anyway, but there was always the sticking point concerning the Maple Leafs and their belief they held a veto over any other team entering their territory, a belief supported by the league’s own constitution. But the NHL was just as adamant that no such veto ever existed and they were confident they were on solid legal ground to place a second team in Toronto despite the objections of arguably its most powerful franchise.

Well, all those matters are gone now. The fact is, both Rogers and BCE will welcome another NHL team into the Toronto market, so much so that it wouldn’t be a surprise to see another Bell Centre or Rogers Arena in the NHL once the new Markham arena is completed. Because as we already mentioned, content is king for these two companies and anything that can supply them with more of that will be eagerly accepted.

You can imagine NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would have wanted to have a unanimous vote on this one, and now he’ll get it. That was never going to come as long as the teachers’ pension plan owned the Leafs, because preserving their monopoly was what provided the best return on the investment for their members.

But with Rogers and BCE, having another outlet to display content will more than make up for the losses they’ll incur by losing their monopoly over the NHL in the biggest, most underserviced hockey market in the world. A new competing building will likely scoop a couple of concert dates from them and their merchandising sales might take a slight hit, but those losses will pale in comparison to the money they could potentially make by carrying an additional Canadian NHL team in the new four-screen universe.

No building for two years, you say? That’s right, but there is speculation the new franchise would try to use Copps Coliseum for two years while the new arena is being built. As long as the league can see by the spring this new building is going to be a reality, that’s an obstacle that can be overcome. And the NHL’s recent realignment will make it easy to move the Coyotes into the same conference as the Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Ottawa Senators, Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Toronto is closer to getting its second NHL team than it ever has been before. And prospects for that happening took an enormous leap forward when the Maple Leafs were sold last week.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

THE HARDY BOYS THE FINAL CHAPTER. . .
IN WHICH WE PLUMB THE MYSTERY BEHIND THE WILDLY SUCCESSFUL KIDS' NOVELS. AND BRING A GHOST TO LIFE

Gene Weingarten, Washington Post Staff Writer, August 9, 1998

I recently rediscovered my youth. It made me sneeze.

It lay unremembered at the top of a tall bookcase: 15 vintage Hardy Boys novels by Franklin W. Dixon. In getting them down I took a faceful of dust and beetle carapaces.

I carried the books to my favorite rocking chair, beside my favorite lamp, and reverently broke them open to revisit the literature that had inspired in me a lifelong love of language. The pages were as thick as a shirt collar and ochered with age. They smelled the way old books smell, faintly perfumed, quaintly mysterious, like the lining of Great-Grandma's alligator handbag out in the steamer trunk. I began to read.

Pretty soon a new smell entered the room.

The Hardy Boys stank.

When a group of literati last month published a list of the hundred greatest English-language novels of the 20th century, lionizing "Ulysses" and "The Great Gatsby" and "The Sun Also Rises," I was privately disappointed they had not included "The Missing Chums." I remembered "The Missing Chums" as the pinnacle of human achievement, a meticulously crafted work of American fiction in which Frank and Joe Hardy, the sons of famed sleuth Fenton Hardy, braved choppy seas and grizzled thugs to rescue their kidnapped friends. I had first read it in a backyard hammock strung between sycamore trees during the summer of my 12th year.

Now, through my bifocals, I again confronted "The Missing Chums." Here is how it begins:

"You certainly ought to have a dandy trip."

"I'll say we will, Frank! We sure wish you could come along!"

Frank Hardy grinned ruefully and shook his head. . . .

"Just think of it!" said Chet Morton, the other speaker. "A whole week motorboating along the coast. We're the lucky boys, eh Biff?"

"You bet we're lucky!"

"It won't be the same without the Hardy Boys," returned Chet.

Dispiritedly, I leafed through other volumes. They all read the same. The dialogue is as wooden as an Eberhard Faber, the characters as thin as a sneer, the plots as forced as a laugh at the boss's joke, the style as overwrought as this sentence. Adjectives are flogged to within an inch of their lives: "Frank was electrified with astonishment." Drama is milked dry, until the teat is sore and bleeding: "The Hardy boys were tense with a realization of their peril." Seventeen words seldom suffice when 71 will do:

"Mrs. Hardy viewed their passion for detective work with considerable apprehension, preferring that they plan to go to a university and direct their energies toward entering one of the professions; but the success of the lads had been so marked in the cases on which they had been engaged that she had by now almost resigned herself to seeing them destined for careers as private detectives when they should grow older."

Physical descriptions are so perfunctory that the characters practically disappear. In 15 volumes we learn little more than this about 16-year-old Frank: He is dark-haired. And this about 15-year-old Joe: He is blond.

These may be the worst books ever written.

I felt betrayed. Or, as Franklin W. Dixon might have said: I thought to myself, "Golly," assailed as I was in that moment by a dismayingly uncomfortable feeling that I had been jolted with an unfairness that was profoundly extreme.

Thomas Wolfe warned: You can't go home again.

But shouldn't you be able to saunter past the old neighborhood without throwing up?

The Hardy Boys are still published -- all the old titles and dozens of new ones. They sell by the millions, still troweling gluey prose into the brains of America's preadolescent boys.

It is too late for me, but what of them?

I felt I had to do something.

Writing is an exercise in power. You wield the words, shape events. You are God. You can make anything happen. You are bound by no laws but your own.

And so I decided to find Franklin W. Dixon. And kill him.

Drat. He's already dead.

In one sense, Franklin W. Dixon never existed. Franklin W. Dixon was a "house name," owned by a company called the Stratemeyer Syndicate, which created and published the original Hardy Boys. From 1927 through 1946 each Hardy Boys book was secretly written by a man named Leslie McFarlane.

I found myself, quite literally, chasing a ghost.

I caught up with him on the telephone, in the person of the ghostwriter's daughter, Norah Perez of Youngstown, N.Y. Perez is an accomplished novelist. Her father died in 1977.

Recently, Perez leafed through some old Hardy Boys books. "I was almost shocked," she said with a laugh. "I thought, omigod. They are not great."

So her father was a hack?

"My father," she said, "was a literate, sophisticated, erudite man."

He was?

He loved Dickens, she said. "He was a great Joycean."

He was?

"He corresponded with F. Scott Fitzgerald. He had aspirations to be that kind of writer."

She seemed uncertain where to go with this. Finally:

"He hated the Hardy Boys."

It turns out the story of the Hardy Boys -- call it their Final Chapter -- isn't about the worst writer who ever lived, not by a long shot. It is about a good writer who wrote some bad books, and if you wonder why that happened, as I did, then you are likely not very old and not very wise. Sometimes homely things are done for the best reasons in the world, and thus achieve a beauty of their own.

Leslie McFarlane kept voluminous diaries. His family has them. He wrote in fountain pen, in elegant strokes that squirreled up a little when he was touched by despair or drink. In these diaries, "The Hardy Boys" is seldom mentioned by name, as though he cannot bear to speak it aloud. He calls the books "the juveniles." At the time McFarlane was living in northern Ontario with a wife and infant children, attempting to make a living as a freelance fiction writer.

Nov. 12, 1932: "Not a nickel in the world and nothing in sight. Am simply desperate with anxiety. . . . What's to become of us this winter? I don't know. It looks black."

Jan. 23, 1933: "Worked at the juvenile book. The plot is so ridiculous that I am constantly held up trying to work a little logic into it. Even fairy tales should be logical."

Jan. 26, 1933: "Whacked away at the accursed book."

June 9, 1933: "Tried to get at the juvenile again today but the ghastly job appalls me."

Jan. 26, 1934: "Stratemeyer sent along the advance so I was able to pay part of the grocery bill and get a load of dry wood."

Finally:

"Stratemeyer wants me to do another book. . . . I always said I would never do another of the cursed things but the offer always comes when we need cash. I said I would do it but asked for more than $85, a disgraceful price for 45,000 words."

He got no raise.

He did the book.

And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another.

"Writing is easy," said the author Gene Fowler. "All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead."

Writing, particularly fiction writing, is an act of quiet terror. You are alone all at once with your genius and your ineptitude, and your errors are as public as possible. To be a writer of fiction requires extreme self-discipline and extreme self-confidence, and many of the people drawn to writing have neither. It can be a recipe for dismal failure.

Writing is also, financially, a crap-shoot. Always has been. Sometimes, good writers starve. Sometimes, dreadful writers succeed. John Grisham's sentences thud and crepitate all over the page, and he has become a literary tycoon. Edgar Allan Poe nearly starved.

Mostly, you become a writer not because you want to get rich or famous, but because you have to write; because there is something inside that must come out. When a baby is to be born, she is born.

Leslie McFarlane, a 5-foot-4 Irishman with mischievous eyes, grew up in a northern Ontario mining town and never got past high school. He had to write. He knew it from childhood. He served his apprenticeship at a succession of small, gritty daily newspapers. At his first, the Cobalt (Ont.) Nugget, he received his first lesson in journalism from grizzled news editor Dan Cushing:

"Spell the names right. Get the addresses right. Don't use the word very' in a sentence."

Thus schooled, McFarlane was off to be a reporter.

As Cushing might say, the kid had something.

Once, at the Sudbury Star, he covered a fire that consumed the town he grew up in:

"A leering tornado of flame from the southwest roared down through a half mile of underbrush upon the town of Haileybury basking sleepily in the September sunlight on the shore of Lake Temiskaming early Wednesday afternoon, ate its way across the railway tracks and then, fanned by a 60-mile-an-hour gale, ripped its way to the water's edge, scattering the town's 4,000 inhabitants before its terrific blast."

Later, as an old man, in his memoirs, McFarlane would recall this fire. His prose had matured considerably:

"Paul Cobbold had been the local weatherman. Every morning, for years, I had watched him emerge from a doorway like some quaint figure in a mechanical clock, to read his instruments and jot down the figures in his little notebook. My mother said she had last seen him there in the smoke and wind when the fire was beginning to ravage the town. Paul and his frail little wife were victims of the fire. Next door another Englishman, the gloomy, taciturn Mr. Elphik, whom no one knew very well, was a charred skeleton in the garden of the home he had refused to leave."

But small-town newspapering seldom sees excitement like that. Mostly it sees fender-benders and sewage hearings and the petty maneuverings of beady-eyed local politics. After a time McFarlane was bored. He dreamed of writing fiction. He began noodling at his desk, after deadline. Once he sent off a short story to the magazine Smart Set, edited by the great H.L. Mencken. It was about a young man who one day runs into his long-lost sister. Reunion by coincidence is an ancient device, as old as Shakespeare. But McFarlane added a wicked twist: They meet in a whorehouse.

Unfortunately, McFarlane had never been to a whorehouse. He may well have been a virgin. The most gifted of writers -- the giants of literature -- can bring to their work a maturity of thought and an understanding of human nature that transcends their callowness. T.S. Eliot wrote "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" -- perhaps the greatest exposition ever on the anguish of growing old -- at the age of 26. There are few Eliots, and McFarlane was surely not one of them. Mencken rejected the manuscript. Sent it back with a one-word notation:

"Naive -- HLM."

McFarlane would keep this note for 50 years.

He became desperate to hone his fiction skills, but he had no time. He was newspapering in Canada and then in Springfield, Mass., for 15 hours at a stretch.

One day he answered an ad from the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a fabulously successful enterprise that wrote children's books through a conveyor-belt production process. The New York syndicate made the strangest offer: Would McFarlane like to write books for youths based on plot outlines Stratemeyer would supply? He would be paid by the book, and have no copyright to the material. In fact, he could never reveal his authorship, under penalty of returning his payments. The company shipped him samples of some books about a character named Dave Fearless -- dreadful, thickheaded novels with implausible plots and preposterous narrative.

McFarlane cheerfully agreed. Years later, in his memoirs, he would observe:

"To write a chapter of a book without having to worry about character, action or plot would call for little more than the ability to hit the keys of a typewriter. . . . They were straightforward, cheap paperbacks for a public that would neither read nor relish anything better. . . . And besides, I would be under no obligation to read the stuff. I would merely have to write it."

This was the cockiness of youth; the swagger of a young man with big plans and no horizons. He could quit his newspaper job, devote all his time to fiction.

And so he did.

The first Hardy Boys novel, "The Tower Treasure," was published in 1927. It begins with the boys on motorcycles, riding side by side, speeding along a shore road, having a conversation:

"After the help we gave Dad on that forgery case, I guess he'll begin to think we could be detectives when we grow up."

"Why shouldn't we? Isn't he one of the most famous detectives in the country? And aren't we his sons?"

Just how they could be having this ludicrous discussion over the roar of two motorcycles is never quite explained.

The fact is, McFarlane whipped off this passage in minutes, and it was just dandy with the syndicate.

It was dandy with him, too. The Hardy Boys were to be a brief, inconsequential meal ticket. They would take a few days apiece; he would expend no intellectual energy on them, and he would use the pay to underwrite more serious work. He would launch a family and a writing career, and in time be recognized as a man of letters.

Briefly, things went swell. And then came 1929. A bad time to be a writer without a steady paycheck.

"We had no car. We had no coal. My mother always had food on the table, but sometimes it was spaghetti with tomato juice on it."

This is Brian McFarlane, Leslie McFarlane's son. Brian McFarlane would grow up to be a hockey player, and later, a sports broadcaster and prolific writer of books about hockey. He is a member of the Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame.

In his father's diary there is an entry from the early 1930s. He took baby Brian for a walk, but had to return. Brian's only shoes had fallen apart. Another entry: He had to mail out a manuscript, but he had no money, so he borrowed 10 cents from Brian's piggy bank.

Another entry: "We are hoping for some money in time to go to the dance Friday night. It is humiliating to be so hard up."

McFarlane was writing good fiction, but few places were buying. He had only one steady patron, a syndicate that was paying him peanuts to write according to a formula it supplied.

There were children's books at the time written with eloquence -- Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House on the Prairie," for example -- but the Stratemeyer editors weren't interested in that, certainly not willing to pay enough to achieve it. They wanted simple and dumb.

In the early volumes, McFarlane gamely tried invention. As a foil for the ingenious Hardy Boys, he created two stumblebum local police officers, Chief Collig and Deputy Smuff, who dithered and blundered and misinterpreted clue after clue. It was a technique used by detective writers from Conan Doyle to Christie. But the Stratemeyer Syndicate was not amused. This was fostering a disrespect for authority, it said. McFarlane was ordered, in subsequent volumes, to give the cops a brain.

The message was clear. These were not McFarlane's books. They belonged to men named Edward Stratemeyer, who wanted bilge, and Franklin W. Dixon, who did not exist.

Around this time, McFarlane received a letter from Stratemeyer, reminding him that he might never disclose to anyone his role as ghostwriter of the Hardy Boys. McFarlane was actually relieved. He had been contemplating writing a letter of his own, asking that they never disclose his identity, either.

Nineteen thirty-one. Nineteen thirty-two. Nineteen thirty-three. Norah was born. Now there were three children, and no coal, and precious little food.

The Ghost was chained to his creation.

The best teacher I ever had taught 10th-grade English. He made books breathe and tremble. When he gave us an essay exam, he would write the question on the blackboard, and then sit down at his desk, infuriatingly, and wait. For 10 minutes, he would not distribute any paper. It forced us to think before we wrote.

He disdained Cliffs Notes and Monarch Notes, those crib-sheet synopses you could buy for a few bucks. They were intellectually bankrupt, he said. Tools of inferior minds.

He looked like a tormented artist. He had a hunted air about him. He dressed well, but often in the same suit, and sometimes it wanted a pressing. He was a talented, driven young man earning a small public school paycheck.

As final exams approached, I found myself swamped with no time to read. We were studying "Gulliver's Travels." Guiltily, I bought the Monarch Notes.

They were written by my teacher.

Sometimes, you do what you have to do.

To see Leslie McFarlane's talent, you need only read "The Ghost of the Hardy Boys," his autobiography published by Methuen Press in 1976, shortly before his death. It sold only a few thousand copies.

"The Ghost of the Hardy Boys" is an elegant book, full of charm and pathos and whimsy. The writing is restrained, the characterizations deep and rich, the humor nuanced.

McFarlane reveals that he was a poor student who barely survived high school math. He passed, he writes dryly, only "by a process of elimination, like a tapeworm."

He fell in love with newspapers as a boy when he walked into the offices of the Daily Haileyburian: "Every place of employment has its own odor of sanctity. At the sawmill you sniffed fresh pine boards and the wet bark of trees. . . . The movie theater had its own special fragrance of celluloid and collodion and the blonde cashier's eau de lilac. But the composing room of the Haileyburian was rich with the smell of Ink!"

His favorite editor was a curmudgeon named Beckett. One day, Beckett tried to stamp out a burning wastebasket, and got his foot caught. McFarlane writes:

"Laughing uproariously, Beckett lunged around the office with one leg of his pants on fire, trying to kick himself free. Every kick sent blazing papers in all directions. The society editor screamed and bent over to pick up one of the papers. If you have never seen a blonde society editor kicked in the ass by a flaming wastebasket, you have missed one of the rare experiences of journalism."

And, finally, Leslie McFarlane wrote of the Depression:

"There was so much that was demeaning about the Depression, such wreckage of hopes, plans, careers and human pride . . . if a family became penniless, there was merely relief' in dribs and drabs of food and fuel, grudgingly dispensed by a municipality that couldn't collect its taxes. And there was an old stigma attached to these bounties, the stigma of failure. Proud people would starve before they would let their plight become known."

I envisioned the young Leslie McFarlane, a fine writer, hunched over his typewriter, babies at his feet, desperate for the money to buy the coal to stoke the furnace to survive another day, haunted by fear, humiliated by his failure, guilty over his gall at subjecting the people he loved to the reckless dream he chased, banging out another idiotic novel for a plutocrat who abused him.

If you are a bad writer, then writing poorly must be no big deal.

But if you are a good writer, writing poorly must be hell. You must die a little with every word.

From the diaries, Saturday, Dec. 27, 1931:

"Did some more work on the juvenile. . . . It is dull stuff. . . . I will make a New Year's resolution never to do another if I can help it."

As he hacked away, year after year, anonymously becoming one of the most widely published writers in history, McFarlane held on to his dignity. He maintained a correspondence with great writers of his day, offering his opinions robustly. Norah Perez has a copy of a handwritten letter written to her father in 1938 by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It was responding to a letter from McFarlane in which he apparently had savaged "Tender Is the Night." Fitzgerald thanked McFarlane for his honesty:

"One of the ghastly aspects of my gloom was a horrible feeling that I wasn't being read. And I'd rather have a sharp criticism of my pet child Tender Is the Night such as yours was, than the feeling of pouring out endless words to fall upon {few} ears. I rather think I am done as a writer -- maybe not, of course. The fact that I can still write a vivid metaphor or solve a technical problem with some suavity wouldn't be an indicator one way or another."

Fitzgerald was as skillful, and as rewarded, as any writer of his time. He died two years later, deeply doubting his talents.

For five years after the Depression hit, during the worst years of doubt and shame, Leslie McFarlane hit the bottle. Drink is the bane of the writer at war with himself, and it nearly destroyed this one. His wife, Amy, a woman of uncommon strength, threatened to leave him.

This is not a chapter of his life that McFarlane has chosen to chronicle in his memoirs. His son, Brian, reveals it. His father, he says, was endangering his life and his family.

A writer can be the most selfish person on Earth -- demanding silence, expecting adulation, shamelessly mining the privacy of those around him for literary material. McFarlane did all that. He was no hero. But at his center lay something heroically unselfish. It showed up in the Hardy Boys -- not on the pages themselves, but in the simple fact that he was writing them at all. McFarlane was willing to demean himself and, as he saw it, to betray his craft, in order to put food on the table.

And now he faced the loss of his family. The end was in sight, and he knew it.

So McFarlane took the page out of the typewriter, crumpled it up, and wrote a new end. Good writers know when to do that.

He left home for a few weeks and went to a clinic in Hamilton, Ontario. Got himself straight. And never was drunk again.

McFarlane finally unchained himself from the Hardy Boys in 1946; the syndicate didn't care. It found another hungry writer to continue the series. To date, there are more than 100 Hardy Boys mysteries, and they are still going strong. In 1959, many of the old Hardy Boy books were redone, streamlined, modernized, sterilized. McFarlane was never consulted, but he didn't mind. Nor did he feel ripped off by their fantastic success. A deal is a deal, he always said. He agreed to it, so he couldn't complain.

McFarlane found a new niche. Briefly, he was fiction editor of Maclean's magazine. He produced acclaimed documentary films, wrote an excellent hockey novel ("McGonigle Scores!") and TV scripts for "Bonanza" and "The U.S. Steel Hour." He never made a hell of a lot of money, but he made a living, and he did it the way he wanted.

Always, he encouraged his children to write, and Norah Perez credits her father's love and support for her successful career.

"In your writings," he wrote her in a letter in 1973, "don't ever give way to feelings of inadequacy or doubts. . . ."

In another letter: "It occurs to me that Shakespeare must have been the happiest man who ever lived. Imagine being able to set down really marvelous lines every day of one's writing life and being able to say: There now. That, by God, is really good.' "

Shortly before he died in 1977 of complications from diabetes, he spoke with Norah. He had been hallucinating, and when he came out of it he was afraid. Not of death, but of history.

He told her he feared he would be remembered only for the accursed Hardy Boys.

Well, here they are. The accursed Hardy Boys. Volumes 1 through 21. The official Canon.

I read them again, for the first time.

Yes, the writing is pedestrian. Words are misused and overused. Teenagers speak in a language so dated it likely never existed. "What the dickens!?!" says Frank. "That fellow is certainly a queer stick," says Joe. Between Pages 9 and 17 in "Hunting for Hidden Gold" a storm "redoubles" its "fury" four times. Cliches abound. Hearts pound with excitement. People breathe sighs of relief.

I can see McFarlane at the typewriter, numbed stupid by the strictures under which he wrote.

Still, I couldn't help but notice that virtually nowhere in these books does one find the word "very."

And in some odd way, I found myself reluctantly captivated by these idiotic coincidence-driven plots. They do move along nicely. Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger.

McFarlane made you turn the page.

And as you turn, you notice something else. After page upon page of dreary writing, there is an all-too-brief moment in which the writer seems suddenly engaged. You stumble on a passage of unmistakable quality. It often occurs at the appearance of Gertrude, the Hardy Boys' cantankerous maiden aunt. McFarlane liked Gertrude.

Here she is described as "an elderly, crotchety lady of certain temper and uncertain years." That's nice.

And here, from "The Missing Chums," is Gertrude's debut: "Frank rushed to the window in time to see Aunt Gertrude, attired in voluminous garments of a fashion dating back at least a decade, laboriously emerging from the taxicab. She was a large woman with a strident voice, and the Hardy boys could hear her vigorously disputing the amount of the fare. This was a matter of principle with Aunt Gertrude, who always argued with taxi drivers as a matter of course, it being her firm conviction that they were unanimously in a conspiracy to overcharge her and defraud her."

If you are a good writer, you cannot hide it forever, no matter how hard you try. It's like trying to stifle a sneeze.

Gertrude enters the house and learns that Frank and Joe are planning on going out on their boat to search for Biff and Chet, who are missing. She lectures the Hardy boys' mother:

"I suppose they were out on a boat trip, too. I knew it! And now they're lost. That's what happens when you let children go out in boats. They get lost. Or drowned. And now you would let these two youngsters go out in a boat, too. And I suppose in a few days some of their chums would have to go out in a boat to look for them. They'd get lost, too. And then some more little boys would go out to look for them. And they'd get lost. By the end of the summer there wouldn't be a boy left in Bayport. Not that it would be much of a loss."

There, now. That, by God, is really good.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

L.A. Kings fire coach Terry Murray after slow start to season

GREG BEACHAM, The Associated Press, Dec. 12, 2011

The Los Angeles Kings fired coach Terry Murray on Monday after a slow start to a season of high expectations.

Murray was replaced by assistant coach John Stevens, who will be the Kings' interim head coach when they open a four-game road trip Tuesday in Boston.

Murray was behind the long-struggling Kings' bench for their best moments in the past decade, leading Los Angeles to consecutive playoff appearances after an eight-year absence.

He has the highest winning percentage (.560) of any coach in Los Angeles franchise history, but the Kings lost both of their first-round playoff series while under his direction.

Murray clearly has struggled to reach his current club, which is mired in mediocrity after entertaining hopes of contending for the Stanley Cup. Los Angeles has lost four consecutive games to drop to 13-12-4, culminating in a lifeless effort in a 2-1 home loss to Dallas last Saturday.

The Kings have sunk to 11th place in the Western Conference standings while managing just 65 goals, second-fewest in the NHL. Despite adding forwards Mike Richards and Simon Gagne in the off-season, Los Angeles is scoring an NHL-worst 2.24 goals per game, including just 13 in its last eight games.

Murray is the fifth coach to be fired already this season in the always-impatient NHL. He joins St. Louis's Davis Payne, Carolina's Paul Maurice, Washington's Bruce Boudreau and Anaheim's Randy Carlyle, who was replaced by Boudreau on Nov. 30.

Although Murray has a deserved reputation as an excellent defensive coach, he lost his job largely because the Kings have struggled to score goals despite boosting their payroll to its highest level in several years.

Los Angeles general manager Dean Lombardi believes his club has the talent to compete with the NHL's best teams, but just three players have scored more than five goals this season, and most of the Kings' forwards are mired in miserable offensive seasons, including Justin Williams, Dustin Penner, captain Dustin Brown, Brad Richardson and Jarret Stoll.

Murray went 139-106-30 with the Kings after taking over the club in 2008. Los Angeles earned 46 victories — matching the franchise record for wins — in each of the past two seasons while racking up 199 total points, the most in any two-year stretch for the club.

Murray is one victory shy of 500 in a coaching career that also included stops with Washington, Florida and Philadelphia. But the 61-year-old's impassive, stone-faced demeanour behind the bench sometimes appeared to be reflected in his Kings, who showed little passion for long stretches of the season.

The Kings entered the season with championship expectations for a club built on a solid defensive system in front of goalie Jonathan Quick. Los Angeles has an impressive corps of defencemen around prodigy Drew Doughty, who held out through training camp to get a $56-million (U.S.) contract, and Jack Johnson, but that defensive toughness hasn't been bolstered by offensive proficiency, with the Kings acknowledging they frequently play ugly hockey.

Murray was under contract through next season.

Stevens, Murray's longtime associate and the Philadelphia Flyers' former coach, joined the Kings' staff before last season. He is the 23rd head coach in Kings history.

He led the Flyers to the Eastern Conference finals in 2008, but Philadelphia fired him the following season. He might not be a long-term candidate for the job if the Kings are looking for a change of pace from the two coaches' similar styles.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Carlyle's vaction is over + 30 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman, CBC Sports, December 12, 2011

Randy Carlyle took his vacation. Now he's ready to go back to work.

"For sure," he said Sunday (a day before the Kings job opened) when asked if he was ready to coach again. "Without a doubt. I think I have something to offer."

Yes, he does. The marriage between Carlyle and the Anaheim Ducks came to an abrupt end two weeks ago. But, it's a guarantee that prospective employers will look at the positives of his first six seasons, rather than what went wrong in Year Seven.

Even though Carlyle coached the Ducks to the 2007 Stanley Cup championship, it isn't an uncommon belief that some of his best work came last year. Anaheim charged to fourth in the Western Conference, despite losing its No. 1 goalie to vertigo.

As for critiques that Carlyle can be too tough on players, well, Ken Hitchcock isn't always a favourite for the Wally Cleaver Award. And, look what's happening in St. Louis. If anything, that makes it even more likely that Carlyle's shot could come quickly.

(The fact Carlyle returned my call usually means nothing is imminent. My experience is that when someone is about to take a new job, it's harder to reach them. Of course, now that I've written this, Carlyle will get a job tomorrow.)

In the meantime, he spent some time relaxing in a small California city called Bishop - the "Mule Capital of the World," according to Wikipedia.

"I wanted to make sure I had some time to look back, think about what happened...and why it happened," he said.

So, now that you've had some perspective, what do you think?

"That's something I'm not going to share," Carlyle said. "I'm not going to throw stones. A lot of great things happened in Anaheim and that's what I'm going to remember. It was a great experience."

Won't be long until he'll have a new one.

30 THOUGHTS

1. Possible replacements if John Stevens doesn't keep the job? Keep an eye on Tony Granato. Lots of ties to the LA front office, and ready for another shot. (The Colorado fans are attacking that, but he's got much more experience now. People grow.) Two questions, though: would Pittsburgh allow him to go during the year? And, is Granato, as nice a person as you can find, what Dean Lombardi wants? Lombardi likes Darryl Sutter - a lot. And Sutter sure fits the "hard-ass" image people think Lombardi wants.

2. That also fits Carlyle's profile. He's under contract through 2013-14, so teams will need Anaheim's permission to get him. When the Los Angeles Times reported Terry Murray was in trouble late Sunday night, Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman wrote the Kings "are not thought to be interested" in Carlyle. President Tim Leiweke loves the headlines (he brought David Beckham to MLS). This would certainly create some. Not sure, though, the Ducks would want that.

3. Lombardi said he decided Sunday and flew to Boston first thing Monday. Wouldn't be surprised if the story forced the issue. One of two things probably happened: Murray asked if it was true, or Lombardi felt he owed it to Murray to make a quicker decision once it got out.

4. Sounds like Lombardi really gave it to the players, blaming them for the firing. "He was very upset," said one. He sounded as disappointed as I've ever heard him on the conference call.

5. The Senators are being understandably tight-lipped about Patrick Wiercioch's injuries (the defenceman was hit in the neck by a puck in an AHL game last Friday). When we do find out more, sounds like we're going to learn that Binghamton trainer Glen Kinney is a real hero in this story. Patrick, we hope you make a full recovery.

6. Sidney Crosby met with reporters on Monday, saying he's not feeling bad, but has some symptoms and wants to be careful. He added the Chris Kunitz collision was not the cause. Glenn Healy wondered about that; with Crosby's great vision, Healy was surprised he didn't see Kunitz.

7. After Glenn said that, a few of us watched Crosby's previous shifts. (You kind of feel bad for the guy, everything he does is so picked apart.) He did a first intermission interview that night with Dan Potash and is cut under his right eye. On his very first shift, he's hit by David Krejci and it looks like his visor bends back into his face. That's probably where it happened.

8. Now, we'll get the questions: why was he playing? Ever since David Perron, I've hated that. Perron gets hit by Joe Thornton, scores on the ensuing power play and is accused of faking. Next thing we know, he misses 97 games. The most frustrating thing about this is it's not an exact science.

9. A few of you asked (via Twitter) why they don't just call it a concussion. One GM has a theory: "That word is so negative right now, teams just want to stay away from it...Behind the scenes, I'm sure these players are getting proper treatment. But every story you hear about concussions is so bad that I think they're worried about the effect it has on players and media." Considering how often we're seeing this now, I think he may be on to something here.

10. So, best to Crosby, and also to Chris Pronger, two guys who have more in common than they'd probably want to admit. Initially, we were concerned with Pronger's eye after Mikhail Grabovsky's stick hit him in October, but it appears as if his forehead took the brunt. He went into the boards hard against Carolina on November 14 (trying to break up a two-on-one) and versus Phoenix on the 17th (Martin Hanzal hit). The cumulative effects are the issue here. Thing that concerns me: Pronger doesn't miss time unless it's serious.

11. In case there is any confusion, Pronger has been on the long-term injury list (retroactively) since November 19 - the last game he played. Depending on how long they think he'll be out, it gives the Flyers an extra $5 million US in cap space.

12. Something new I learned this week: other teams really like dealing with Paul Holmgren. "No B.S.," one GM said. "He asks what you want, he tells you what he wants and if there's a match it gets done quick."

13. Okay let's lighten things up a bit. NHL Man of the Year: Tyler Bozak. Don't know what's going on with him and Kate Upton, but I'm very impressed.

14. Conference call sometime this week between the NHL and NHLPA to discuss re-alignment. Donald Fehr is used to consultation on this issue, because every time MLB went through something like this, there was discussion between the two parties. That's never happened in hockey. Most people seem to think the new plan will get approved. There is some wariness from the league that the NHLPA might want something in return. That would complicate the process, if true.

15. One thing that does look like it's headed for arbitration: the dispute over whether or not the players are entitled to the $25 million the city of Glendale pays to the NHL to run the Phoenix Coyotes. If it's not settled in the next week or two, sounds like someone else is going to have to decide.

16. Vancouver's power play is number one in the NHL at 26 per cent, five percentage points ahead of second-place Toronto. That's significant, because you could see Colorado and Ottawa try the Boston model last week -- punish them into submission. The Canucks' preference is to make you pay on the man advantage. It dried up in the Cup final, which was a major reason Vancouver lost.

17. Kevin Bieksa said he went to referee Kevin Pollock on Saturday night, asking him to watch Chris Neil. The Canucks defenceman claimed Pollock told him "they were good friends and he knows him well and he won't cross the line." Had a good debate with the NHL about this. I wanted Pollock's reaction, but a couple of league officials said no because "what is said on the ice should stay on the ice." So, I went to a few "independents." Most of them agreed with the league.

18. One scout on Tomas Kaberle: "He's playing very carefully right now." Translation: he doesn't want to get hit.

19. Zach Parise was so impressed with Mike Cammalleri's shot that he asked the Canadiens' winger about his blade, which is unique among NHL players. Parise, however, switched back to his old one, because he couldn't control the backhand. Ironic then, that Carey Price stopped that kind of attempt on a penalty shot to save Montreal's win in New Jersey on Saturday.

20. Boy, did the Canadiens need that. They tied Columbus late in regulation on Tuesday, but lost in the shootout. They led Vancouver 3-0 on Thursday, but you could see the Canucks believed they were going to come back and win. Another blown lead might have sent them off the rails.

21. Kirk Muller has a lot of fans. The one question, though, is: What will his system be? "We know he'll get his team to work hard," one GM said. "We know he'll have a good rapport with players. But we're not sure how his teams will play."

22. Karl Alzner said earlier this year that Eric Staal was the unluckiest player in the NHL. "Every time I see him, he's hitting the post or getting stopped by a great save." While that may be true, his low numbers were affecting his play. A few coaches/GMs saw Staal cheating offensively because he so badly wanted to score. That would explain the bad plus/minus.

23. Got to think an AHL stint is coming for Magnus Paajarvi. I can see why the Oilers are waiting on this, because it's hard to send a first-round pick down to Oklahoma City and not have it framed as a major disappointment. But, there comes a point where it's better for him to play there and not risk being a healthy scratch every couple of weeks.

24. One assist in 13 games is only proving how important Ryan Whitney is to Edmonton. The team's probably praying Taylor Hall's shoulder doesn't have the same recovery issues as Whitney's ankle.

25. With the World Juniors in town, Calgary plays 11 of its next 13 on the road. For the Oilers, it's nine of 11. Huge part of the season. Comparisons: Buffalo went 5-4-1 last season (seven of 10 on the road); Ottawa 2-7-1 (nine of 10) during the 2009 World Juniors; Vancouver was 8-5-1 on a mammoth road trip necessitated by the 2010 Winter Olympics.

26. Nice story from After Hours with Scott Oake and Craig Simpson: Jay Feaster's son, Bobby, was named Baseball Alberta Umpire of the Year and intends to pursue that as a career. Good luck.

27. Get the sense Nazem Kadri is being scouted hard. Could be Brian Burke's trade chip.

28. Claude Julien told NESN's Joe Haggerty that the Bruins were working hard to keep Joe Corvo's confidence up. In Ottawa, Bryan Murray basically banned Corvo from watching video because he used to beat himself up so badly.

29. Richard Bachman, who beat the Kings in his first NHL start last Satuday, is drawing several comparisons to Jhonas Enroth. That's not too bad for the Stars.

30. Was somewhat surprised to hear the Maple Leafs' new owners didn't raise the question of compensation should the NHL decide to put another team in the Toronto area. What did happen was the Teachers' Pension Fund asked for another $80 million if that second team arrived in the next few years, but Rogers/Bell rejected that. (That amount was added to the purchase price, instead.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Campbell: Darryl Sutter would be poor choice to replace Terry Murray
Darryl Sutter hasn't been behind an NHL bench since 2006.

Ken Campbell, The Hockey News, 2011-12-13

We get that Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi felt he had to fire Terry Murray, even though his timing couldn’t have been worse. The guy was one win away from 500 in his career and who knows now whether he’ll ever get another chance to reach the milestone?

But nobody said life in the NHL was fair and that is especially true for NHL coaches. If life were fair, GMs wouldn’t have the carte blanche right to suddenly take somebody’s employment away from them when, in many cases, they are only a small part of the problem. There is a GM who assembled the team and 23 players in the room who are usually every bit as culpable as the guy behind the bench. To suggest this particular case was any different would be a distortion of the facts. As usual in these cases, Lombardi even admitted as much when he announced the change Monday.

(By the way, we at THN.com are thinking of selling advertising around a new bi-weekly feature called ‘Look who got gassed this time!’ Next installment should be forthcoming within the next fortnight. Please call our offices if you’re interested in an advertising spot.)

But, as we said, we get that the Kings felt they had to fire Murray. Spending perilously close to the cap for players who should be far more productive, being in 11th place in the Western Conference and a shocking 29th in the league in goals scored, well, that’s pretty damning evidence on anyone’s employment record.

What we cannot understand is the name that is floating around as Murray’s replacement. Let’s get this straight. The Kings fired Murray ostensibly because they aren’t nearly creative enough given their personnel and can’t score goals and their answer to that problem is to possibly hire Darryl Sutter?

Apparently that’s the value of knowing the right people in the NHL, not exactly a new concept these days. When all else fails, people in management generally turn to people with whom they have a history. And Lombardi and Sutter have that, going back to their days together with the San Jose Sharks. But if you’re going to hire Sutter, what’s the point of firing Murray in the first place?

Perhaps before the Kings give Sutter his first NHL coaching job in five years, they should consider he has coached three teams during his NHL tenure for a total of nine full seasons and two partial ones. In those nine full seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks, Sharks and Calgary Flames, his teams finished in the top half of the league in NHL scoring exactly once, when his Sharks finished fourth in the league in goals scored in 2001-02. In the other eight seasons, his team finished an average of 20th in offensive production. (That includes one season when the league was comprised of just 24 teams, two when it was 26th, one when it was 27 and one when it was 28.)

In the three-plus years Murray had coached the Kings, the one thing he was able to do was install a very good defensive foundation. He was able to turn Anze Kopitar into a dependable two-way player, even though there were times when it seemed Kopitar was sacrificing offense to be a more conscientious player in all zones. The Kings are already a very good defensive team. That’s hardly the problem.

Therefore, the fact they’re even considering replacing Murray with Sutter is nothing short of confusing. The Sutter way, which is heavy on rhetoric about hard work and short on success, involves playing suffocating, mind-numbing defensive hockey that is enjoyable to neither watch nor play. And Los Angeles is one of those markets in the NHL where the team not only has to be successful, it has to be entertaining. With Sutter in charge, we predict the Kings will be neither of those. If the Kings think Murray was no barrel of laughs, wait until they experience a couple of months under Sutter.

But recycling coaches is a tried and true method of managing a team. If the Kings were truly looking to turn the page and recreate their identity, wouldn’t they be better served asking the Toronto Maple Leafs if they could speak to Dallas Eakins or the Pittsburgh Penguins permission to interview Jon Hynes, two up-and-coming American League coaches who would bring a refreshing attitude and a new set of eyes to the Kings situation?

We appreciate that the Kings, who have put themselves through enormous amounts of pain to get top young talent and through financial challenges to augment that talent with star players, need to win now. But there’s no guarantee they’re going to get that with Sutter, whose teams have made it out of the second round of the playoffs only twice.

None of that will stop the Kings from, at the very least, seriously considering Sutter to fill the job. And as far as we can see, that will provide the Kings with more of the same, which isn’t very good.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Coaching continuity keys success in pro sports

PAT HICKEY, The Montreal Gazette, December 2, 2011

It's open season on National Hockey League coaches, and that provided the backdrop as the Canadiens met the Anaheim Ducks Wednesday night.

It was a showdown between two teams desperate for a win, and speculation swirled around both head coaches. Anaheim's Randy Carlyle tried to slough off a suggestion he needed a win to save his job, but he had to be concerned after receiving a vote of confidence from his longtime friend, general manager Bob Murray.

The Ducks emerged 4-1 winners, but that didn't save Carlyle's job. Shortly after the final siren, Murray fired Carlyle.

Murray said it was important to have a new voice in the room, and announced Bruce Boudreau would be taking over. Boudreau was the head coach in Washington until Monday, when Capitals GM George McPhee decided a new voice was needed in the room and he replaced Boudreau with Dale Hunter.

As for the Canadiens' Jacques Martin, we'll never know whether he has received a vote of confidence, because general manager Pierre Gauthier is up there with the Sphinx when it comes to keeping his counsel. What we do know is that Wednesday's loss sparked a new chorus of howls from disgruntled fans who have a coaching change in Montreal at the top of their Christmas wish lists.

Longtime readers will know I'm no fan of coaching changes. I believe if an organization has hired the right person, it should stay the course. That has been the key to success for teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Los Angeles Dodgers and any National Basketball Association team coached by Phil Jackson. Barry Trotz in Nashville and Lindy Ruff in Buffalo provide good examples of that theory in the National Hockey League.

Teams aren't going to win every year. There are down cycles created by injuries, free agency, aging players or, quite often, a lack of talent. But the lamest excuse in sports is to say that a coach has "lost the room" or "a new voice is needed." Comments like these say more about the character of the players than they do about the ability of the coach.

I happen to believe Martin is a pretty good coach. In his first season with the Canadiens, he took the team to the Eastern Conference final. Last season, the Canadiens lost to the Stanley Cupchampion Boston Bruins in seven games, and three losses - including Game 7 - were in overtime. As Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli told me: "Montreal probably gave us our toughest series."

The most common complaint about Martin is that his style is boring. Of course, many of the fans who offer this opinion also believe the Canadiens would be better off with Jacques Lemaire, whose New Jersey teams provided an instant cure for insomnia.

Martin has put together high-scoring teams in Ottawa, and the Canadiens' power play was among the best in the NHL in each of the past two seasons.

The Canadiens are struggling this season, but they are not alone, which is why Montreal is within a short winning streak of a playoff spot.

How much of the Canadiens' woes can be traced to Martin?

I don't know, but here are things you can't blame on the coach:

You can't blame Martin for the Canadiens' lack of size. When Bob Gainey blew this team up in 2009, he had a chance to add some size, but instead opted for Scott Gomez, Michael Cammalleri and Brian Gionta. Gainey took on a bad contract Glen Sather gave to Gomez, and compounded the error by sending defence prospect Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers as a throw-in.

You can't blame Martin for the injuries that have plagued this team, especially the lingering absence of defenceman Andrei Markov.

You can't blame Martin for Gomez's lack of production, or the growing pains experienced by P.K. Subban.

You can't blame Martin for the fact the Canadiens have the least-experienced defence corps in the NHL

You can't blame Martin for the Canadiens' being up against the cap and for the long-term contracts that could prove problematic in the future.

There are signs that some players have tuned Martin out, but there are two encouraging signs in the NHL statistics. The Canadiens rank third on the penalty-kill and lead the NHL in blocked shots.

Those categories are not about skill. They are a reflection of hard work, determination, a willingness to sacrifice yourself for the team. The key is to bring that commitment to the other facets of the game and combine that commitment with a few more healthy bodies.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

WHL: Connor Honey explains mid-season move from USHL to T-Birds

By Neate Sager, Yahoo! Sports, Dec 12 2011

WHL: Connor Honey explains mid-season move from USHL to T-BirdsThe case of Connor Honey illustrates something that gets lost in the never-ending bun fight between the Canadian Hockey League and the USHL and NCAA — teenagers make up their mind on their own schedule.

Last week, Honey, a 17-year-old forward from Edmonton, took a rare step of leaving the USHL in mid-season to join the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds. Honey, who initially committed to the University of Denver in January, played for the Green Bay Gamblers for two months, all the while never feeling sure of which path was right for him.

"You have so many things coming at you every day, people trying to persuade you one way or the other, you know what I mean?" says Honey, who debuted with the T-Birds on Saturday. "I think maybe I listened to too many people on which way to go and I didn't make the right assessment with myself. That's kind of what I have to say about it. You're a young guy, you take a lot of advice, perhaps you have to put more weight on your own decision.

"They [his parents, mother Anita and father Gord] just said, 'whatever you do, make sure you're comfortable with your own decision. You're going to have to live with it,' " the 6-foot, 180-pound Honey adds.

"The decision was not about emotions at all, it was just something that was building up."

Honey went to Seattle's training camp in Septmber before deciding, in his words, "test the waters and keep my options open" by heading to Green Bay and preserving his NCAA eligibility. He played there until Nov. 26 before deciding he'd left his heart in the west. He got in touch with Seattle about joining them and returned to Edmonton. It took close to a week for Thunderbirds GM and owner Russ Farwell to negotiate a release with the Gamblers, a loaded team which has a 10-point lead over defending USHL champion Dubuque in the East Division.

"They weren't happy about it and didn't want to give him up, Once the season starts, the existing agreement [between Hockey Canada and USA Hockey] doesn't really deal with it," Farwell says. "So if a team just wants to hold a player, they can hold him for 3-4 weeks without giving him a release. So that potentially was what was at play.

"I'm sure there were two very different perspectives on this case," Farwell adds. "Connor went to our training camp in the fall. He went there, tried it, played the two months and then called and said, 'I would like to come back.' In our mind, he was as much returning to us as leaving their team and their mind, it was probably that he was leaving their team."

'Left on good terms'

The Gamblers' spin on Honey's departure was a little idiosyncratic. On their website, the team referred to Honey's departure as a trade, with coach-GM Derek Lalonde stating, "Connor simply couldn't balance school and hockey." Were it not for the cross-border hockey politics involved, some would think that was rather cold.

"He's a great guy and you got to do what you got to do," Honey says of Lalonde. "I left on good terms. I'm not going to worry about that stuff because it wasn't my call to write that stuff down. It just wasn't a great fit for me. I have nothing but positives to say about Green Bay. At the end of the day, you have to do what your heart tells you."

The USHL and CHL don't trade players. Farwell said he didn't see much point in replying to how Green Bay portrayed the move.

"It was an odd way to describe it," he says." I figured, maybe, it was something that was better for him in his own market, to describe it that way."

Honey stressed that when it comes to hockey, one brand does not fit all. For a time, he could be fit into the mould of many Canadian kids whose physical maturity arrives relatively late, leading to them being lightly regarded by major junior teams and thus opening their eyes to the NCAA. Honey was a later bloomer ("in my draft year I was about 5-foot-4"). However, he started to come into his own last season, which raised the interest of the WHL and NCAA programs. The latter is often attractive to finesse players who can benefit from a shorter USHL and NCAA schedule and more practice time, while working toward a degree. Players in Canadian major junior are probably more hockey-first, while they are also entitled to an education package once finish junior.

"I don't know how to judge it," Honey says. "The USHL has a lot of smaller guys who are really skilled. I think it's just fair to say the WHL was more my league from Day 1. I work hard, I hit, I get the puck and I just try to create plays. That really wasn't my game plan in Green Bay. Just the Dub was more my game with the hitting and how organized it is. I would say [the USHL] is more of a dangling kind of league. You can't knock either of them. They're both great leagues."

Farwell notes that Honey is an smart player who can create a lot of opportunities for his teammates.

"He plays with a real energy — throws everything into it. I think he has a really good read offensively. He's not a player who does it through sheer talent, he's not beating guys one-on-one, but he thinks the game at an advanced level. He makes good plays down low.

"It's a little tough catching up, adjust to a new coach, a new philosophy and new systems," Farwell adds. "I know he'll be able to do that, climb our ladder and gain more and more time. I think he can do that."

Honey has joined a team which has missed the playoffs in each of the past two seasons, but is improving under new coach Steve Konowalchuk, a former 14-season NHL forward who played in a Stanley Cup final. The Thunderbirds (12-15-0-1) are neck-and-neck with the Prince George Cougars for the final playoff position in the Western Conference. Honey is hopeful his style of play will help endear him to the Thunderbirds faithful, noting his unique surname doesn't hurt his cause.

"In Green Bay I was voted No. 1 for fan favourite among the rookies," he says. "I don't know if it was the play on the ice. It probably was the name."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Is Darryl Sutter poised to become the Kings' next coach?

Eric Duhatschek, Globe and Mail, December 13, 2011

Could Darryl Sutter become the next head coach of the Los Angeles Kings? Maybe. On a conference call with reporters Monday night, general manager Dean Lombardi wouldn’t answer any specific questions about Terry Murray’s successor, other than to suggest that he had a very “short list” of candidates.

John Stevens is handling the job on an interim basis, but Sutter’s name was the only one that made any sense, given Lombardi’s history (the two worked together in San Jose for years) and his tendency to hire people from within his inner circle.

Early on, before he landed in Calgary and coached the Flames to the 2004 Stanley Cup final, Sutter earned a unique distinction shared only by Al Arbour up to that point - he was behind the bench for a Sharks’ team that showed improvement in five consecutive years.

When asked specifically about what he wanted to see from a new coach, Lombardi invoked his San Jose experience and compared that rebuilding process to where Los Angeles sits now, a young team that started the year with high - some might argue overly high - expectations and thus far, hasn’t met them, for a variety of reasons.

“I’ve been through this before,” said Lombardi. “I saw it with the (Patrick) Marleaus and the (Brad) Stuarts and the (Evgeni) Nabokovs.”

Lombardi then went on the lay the blame for the Kings’ poor showing of late (four consecutive losses, tied for 11th in the Western Conference standings), on the players in the locker room, old and young. Defenceman Drew Doughty has had a particularly hard time of finding his game after missing training camp because of a contract dispute, but Lombardi was prepared to name other names as well, noting: “The (Jarrett) Stolls, the (Justin) Williamses, the (Dustin) Browns, all these guys have to look at themselves as much as the younger players (do).”

Well, Sutter would certainly make life interesting in Los Angeles. Overall, he has coached 860 NHL games, posting a 409-320-131 record over 12 seasons. For a Kings’ team interested in not only making the playoffs, but making some hay once they get there (apologies for the farming pun), a more pertinent stat may be Sutter’s playoff record - under .500 at 47-54.

Sutter guided the Flames to the 2004 Stanley Cup final where they lost in the seventh game to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and then stepped away from the bench in July of 2006, after Calgary lost in the opening round of the first post-lockout playoff, to the Anaheim Ducks.

Sutter also made it the finals as an associate coach under Mike Keenan in 1992, where the Blackhawks lost to Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Sutter retained his GM portfolio in Calgary until just after Christmas last year, when the Flames replaced him with Jay Feaster. He has been on the outside ever since.

After years of painstaking rebuilding, the Kings imagine themselves as a team poised on the brink of playoff success.

Six consecutive years out of the playoffs produced a bundle of top draft choices, including Brayden Schenn, Doughty, Thomas Hickey, Jonathan Bernier, Lauri Tukonen and Dustin Brown. Schenn was traded this summer to Philadelphia in the blockbuster deal for Mike Richards, the signal in L.A. that the push was on.

Instead, they went backward, which is why Murray is on the outside looking in, and Lombardi is on the prowl for a new man behind the bench. Darryl Sutter? In the win-at-all costs NHL, stranger things have happened.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: THE OFFICIALS' ROLE WHEN A PLAYER IS INJURED

Kerry Fraser, TSN.ca, Dec 13 2011

Hey Kerry:
During the Ottawa/Vancouver game on Saturday, Cody Hodgson took a hit along the boards and went down. Play continued for a while; when Cody tried to get up it was obvious that he was in trouble and the play was (thankfully) whistled down. Just wondering what the rule is, if there is one, about stopping play when there is an obvious injury. Can any one of the four officials blow the play dead if he is concerned? Does it matter who has puck control at the time? Is it a discretionary thing?

Thanks,
David (in Vancouver)

David:

Player safety is the primary concern of every game official. With the rule book as a guide, the officials must exercise their best judgment as to the perceived seriousness of the injury to determine when to blow the whistle and stop play. When an injury is deemed serious in nature and a quick medical response is required the official will stop play immediately, regardless of who has possession of the puck.

Rule 8 - injured players reads "when a player is injured so that he cannot continue play or go to his bench, the play shall not be stopped until the injured player's team has secured possession of the puck. If the player's team is in possession of the puck at the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately unless his team is in a scoring position. In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the Referee and/or Linesman may stop the play immediately."

In the practical application of this rule we often see a player struck with the puck while blocking a shot or with a stick on the follow through of a shot. Most often these types of injuries are not something that would require the official to halt play immediately. They are usually "stingers" that can be walked or skated off. We have even seen players get up when the whistle doesn't blow and attempt to defend as they hobble through the injury. Even if the injured player stays down on the ice play will normally be allowed to continue when the non-offending team has possession of the puck and always when they are in a scoring position.

The exception to allowing a play to continue is when a player is struck in a vulnerable location such as the stick Chris Pronger accidentally received to the eye area on the follow-through of a Mikhail Grabovski shot or when Steven Stamkos had his nose rearranged in the same fashion during the Stanley Cup Playoffs last year. Stamkos quickly returned to the game wearing a visor while Pronger's injury required bed rest. In both cases however, due to the location they were struck play needed to be stopped immediately.

Player reaction will also be an indicator for the official if the injury sustained is deemed serious in nature. The worst injury that I observed occurred in the 1996 Stanley Cup Playoffs when Pat Peake, a talented first round draft pick for the Washington Capitals raced toward the end boards to nullify an icing and was upended from behind at the goal line.

Peake flew into the boards feet first, shattering his right heel. I was the first responder on the scene and killed play as soon as Pat landed feet first and writhed in pain. It was an ugly result and I thought if this kid isn't seriously hurt he sure as heck should be. Even though Peake attempted to resume his career it ultimately ended on that race for an icing. He has had 15 surgeries on his heel and now coaches his son's AAA hockey team in Detroit.

Who can ever forget the gruesome, life-threatening injury that Clint Malarchuk sustained when his throat was sliced by a skate blade while tending goal for the Buffalo Sabres. It was only the quick response from Sabres medical staff that saved his life.

Seconds can be precious when injuries such as these have been sustained. The referee's whistle is the first response to obtaining medical treatment.

Erring on the side of caution is especially true given the dangerous and high hits that we have seen within the game in recent years; both open ice and into the boards. In cases where potential head and/or vertebrae injuries result, swift medical response is vital. Max Pacioretty fracturing his neck vertebrae after contacting the stanchion at the players' bench is just one example.

At the amateur level and especially in youth hockey games I believe the referee should stop the play so that the player who appears injured can be properly attended to.

Even though embellishment is approaching epidemic proportions some nights, if it came down to a coin toss, I would ere on blowing the whistle more quickly than not in attempting to determine the ultimate seriousness of a player injury.

David, I hope that I have established that player safety and their well being is of primary concern for the on-ice officials. It is a responsibility each of us takes seriously and will usually give the benefit of the doubt to the player that remains down on the ice through an apparent injury.

There is always an exception to the rule and that is unless a player embarrassed me and the game by feigning injury for the purpose of gaining a stoppage in play. If that were to happen, rest assured I would look more closely for evidence of injury in the future just short of the bone poking through his skin. I would inform any player guilty of this attempt that medals are awarded for courage and not cowardice.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Chris Chelios inducted into U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame

The Associated Press, Dec. 13, 2011

Chris Chelios had a simple reason why he not only survived 26 seasons in the NHL, but earned a spot in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

“I've been surrounded by great players my whole career,” Chelios said during the induction ceremony Monday night. “But the most enjoyment I ever had was seeing the enjoyment of my friends and family when I played.

“I hope I entertained you,” Chelios said. “I couldn't skate any more. I had to hang ‘em up.”

Chelios was one of five American hockey notables inducted Monday. He was joined by fellow defenceman Gary Suter, with whom he played at the University of Wisconsin and with the Chicago Blackhawks, forward Keith Tkachuk, Philadelphia Flyers owner Ed Snider and broadcaster Mike Emrick.

Chelios, a three-time Norris Trophy winner who grew up in the Chicago suburb of Evergreen Park, said his greatest moment in the game, aside from winning the Stanley Cup for the first of three times, was taking the ice to play for the gold medal in the 1992 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

“You wanted to win the gold medal, but there was no disappointment (when Canada won),” Chelios said. “It was the best hockey I've ever been involved in.”

Tkachuk, who played for Winnipeg, Phoenix, St. Louis and Atlanta, had a vivid memory of one encounter with Chelios.

“Cheli and I tangled at Chicago Stadium, got me in a headlock and I couldn't breathe,” Tkachuk said, grinning. “I was down to my last breath. He was strong for a little guy.”

Chelios remembered Tkachuk “turning colours. I let him go right at the last second, but I could have made him pass out easy if I wanted to. And he knew it.”

They were loyal teammates on Olympic squads and during the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, in which the U.S. came back from losing the first game to sweep the last two games on Canadian ice. Suter was also on that team, while Snider hosted the first game in the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers' then-new building, and Emrick called the contests on American television.

“I didn't expect to hear my name associated with a Hall of Fame unless it involved penalty minutes or eating,” Tkachuk told the gathering of about 450. “This means everything to me. I'm only retired for two years, and to go in with this class is amazing.”

Tkachuk scored 538 goals in 19 NHL seasons, but counted the World Cup victory as his top achievement.

“That generated great momentum, not only for me, but for U.S. hockey in general,” Tkachuk said.

Suter's 17-year pro career opened in Calgary, where he was named the NHL's top rookie in 1985-86, and went through Chicago and San Jose. Like Chelios and Tkachuk, he was inspired by the American hockey victory in the 1980 Olympics.

“That was so unexpected, but in 1996 (at the World Cup), we were a good solid team, among the top four in the world,” Suter said. “I think winning that had a similar effect to 1980 on kids, and American hockey has continued to get stronger.”

Snider's stewardship of the Flyers started with the team's inception in 1966. He helped grow a small business into a corporation that became a unit of Comcast, but said he was prouder of his foundation's taking over the hockey rinks in Philadelphia's park system and creating educational programs associated with hockey for disadvantaged youths to flourish.

“We have a 94 per cent graduation rate, compared to 54 per cent for the city,” Snider said. “We used hockey as the hook. It's the only thing I've put my name on. It's my legacy. It will last forever.”

Emrick's dream of being an NHL broadcaster started in the corner of the rink in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he called minor-league games into a tape recorder for practice. Decades later, the voice of 13 Stanley Cup Finals, and the lead announcer for hockey on NBC and Versus, still has boyish enthusiasm.

“I wanted to be a baseball announcer until I went to a game at the Fort Wayne Coliseum,” Emrick said of a 1960 visit. “I get in free, I still get a good seat for the game, and I still like doing that. So until my bosses don't want me doing that, or I'm unhappy with my work, I'll do it.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Coach Mike Yeo guides Minnesota Wild into league’s elite

Paul Waldie, Globe and Mail, Dec. 13, 2011

Ever since he was a 17-year-old boy growing up in North Bay, Mike Yeo wanted to be a head coach in the NHL.

Now, 20 years later, he not only has his first NHL coaching job, he’s turned the moribund Minnesota Wild into the hottest team in the league with a roster of largely no-name players who’ve somehow responded to their boyish boss.

Ask just about any Wild player, including Kyle Brodziak, the team’s top scorer with 10 goals and 17 points as of Monday, just how Yeo has done it and you get smiles and shrugs.

“I don’t know,” Brodziak said Tuesday as the Wild prepared to play the Winnipeg Jets at the MTS Centre. “He’s young but he definitely has confidence and he knows exactly what he wants to accomplish and how he wants the team to play. When he’s on the bench, he’s calm and composed and there’s a reason for everything, and he seems to know what’s going on all the time.”

Calm and composed on the outside, maybe, but he’s intense inside – so intense he chews his fingernails to the bone and once had to take time off from assistant coaching because of high blood pressure.

Yeo cites things like commitment, determination and getting the players to work together. “We’ve pushed them hard there’s no question,” he said Tuesday. “But they’ve responded and they’ve pushed each other and it’s group that cares very much about each other and is really trying to build something here.”

When asked to describe the team identity he is hoping to build, Yeo didn’t hesitate: “Fast, physical, aggressive.”

It shows. The Wild have perfected a close-checking style with a balanced attack that has translated into a record, entering the Jets game Tuesday, of 20-7-3, good enough for 43 points to lead the NHL. The Wild arrived in Winnipeg on a seven-game winning streak. They have allowed just 64 goals, one of the lowest tallies in the NHL, thanks in part to some remarkable goaltending by Niklas Backstrom and backup Matt Hackett. And they’ve done it with only a couple of players anyone has heard of – Dany Heatley and David Setoguchi, who arrived last summer in a trade with the San Jose Sharks.

The physical, no-name approach isn’t surprising considering Yeo idolized players such Cam Neely, Wendel Clark and Rick Tocchet while growing up. He liked them because they had an edge and played hard every night.

His own playing career didn’t last long. It ended in 1999 at 26 because of a knee injury. He landed a job as an assistant coach with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, the Pittsburgh Penguins’ American Hockey League affiliate, and soon moved up as an assistant with the Penguins in 2005 to then-head coach Michel Therrien, just as Sidney Crosby joined the team. He remained on the staff when Dan Bylsma took over from Therrien in 2008. But Yeo still hankered for the top job and left Pittsburgh in 2010 to coach the Houston Aeros, the Wild’s AHL affiliate.

He led the Aeros, also a collection of no names, on a remarkable run that ended just two victories shy of the Calder Cup. Winnipeg coach Claude Noel, who coached the Manitoba Moose of the AHL last year, recalled tight, low-scoring games with the Aeros.

“They played a real simple game last year, it was fast and simple,” Noel recalled this week. “I thought he did well with what he had last year. He’s got more bullets this year [with the Wild] so he can play different ways. I like the way he coached. He’s done a really good job.”

Last summer when the Wild were looking for a replacement for Todd Richards, general manager Chuck Fletcher eschewed big names such as Ken Hitchcock and Craig MacTavish and opted for Yeo, making him the youngest coach in the NHL.

“Every day is the best day of my life,” Yeo said Tuesday, offering a rare smile and laugh. “You’ve got to love this job. You’ve got to love coming to the rink and getting to do what you love.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The puck remains the same

Roy MacGregor, Globe and Mail, Dec. 13, 2011

It is the game’s one constant.

Everything else in hockey has changed – the rules, the players, the protective equipment, the nets, sticks, skates, boards, glass, standings, ticket prices, even the ice itself – but not the puck.

It remains as defined by Rule 13.1 of the NHL official rulebook: “The puck shall be made of vulcanized rubber, or other approved material, one inch (1”) thick and three inches (3”) in diameter and shall weigh between five and one-half ounces (5 ½ oz.) and six ounces (6 oz.).”

That tiny rubber disc hit the news this past week when it brought an end to the NHL’s current Iron Man streak, stopping the remarkable run of Tampa Bay Lightning forward Martin St. Louis at 499 consecutive games. St. Louis took a puck in the face during practice, the edges of the puck cutting him badly and the impact fracturing nasal and orbital bones.

There still would have been damage, obviously, but Harry McEachern can’t help but wonder if it might have been lessened if only the NHL had elected to go with a puck he helped Dave Hay develop more than half a century ago.

McEachern, now 87 and retired in Hudson, Ohio, was working for Polysar Ltd. in Sarnia when Hay – whose father, Hockey Hall of Famer George, had played for the Detroit Red Wings – came up with a puck made of butyl rubber that was the same size and weight as the puck in the rulebook but had somewhat different characteristics.

The new puck required no freezing, as is still done to NHL pucks in order to keep them from bouncing. Butyl rubber, McEachern says, is an “energy-absorbing material” that doesn’t bounce well. The puck appeared to slide more easily on the ice and, mysteriously, caused very few cuts when flying up into players’ faces.

“If it came in touch with the skin,” McEachern says, “it didn’t break. I can’t explain it.”

Local leagues experimented with the new puck for a couple of seasons in the late 1950s and the Red Wings tried them out in practice and were suitably impressed. But the league never adopted it.

The butyl puck today stands in a long line of pretenders who could not bump the puck first developed by Art Ross, Eddie Shore and others in the 1930s and manufactured by Tyer Rubber of Andover, Md. In March of 1951, the Art Ross Puck – U.S.A. patent 2226156 – was named the official NHL disc. Today, the official puck is manufactured by Soucy Baron of St. Jerome, Que., shipped to InGLasCo in Sherbrooke, stamped with appropriate logos and delivered around the league.

In the decades since McEachern and Hay thought they had reinvented the hockey puck, hockey historian J.W. (Bill) Fitsell says there have been numerous attempts to come up with something new, including a U.S. initiative to replace the black puck with a red one – more patriotic, the argument went, by having a red puck with blue lines and white ice.

The most famous attempt, surely, was Fox TV’s so-called smart puck, during the network’s lame attempt to give NHL hockey a national platform. FoxTrax was hilarious to Canadians, who couldn’t get enough of laughing at the blue streak on their screen that often showed the puck flying about the first two rows of seating.

There have also been attempts to apply reflective materials – the Glowpuck and Firepuck – and even a plan to outfit pucks with internal sensors that could tell, for example, precisely whether a smothered puck had crossed the goal line. In that case, price was obviously prohibitive: Unlike in children’s leagues, fans don’t throw pucks back in the NHL.

McEachern and Hay still believe their long-ago improvement was the best of them all – a puck that slid better, didn’t bounce and, most significantly, didn’t appear to do the same physical damage that today’s errant pucks can cause.

As for practicality, McEachern fondly remembers that when they tried it out with the Red Wings, Gordie Howe had the only question that truly mattered to the players.

“Will it go in the net?”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Team Canada vet bearer of bad news

SCOTT FISHER, QMI Agency, Dec 14 2011

CALGARY - Jaden Schwartz answered The Call.

Even though it wasn’t for him, the veteran forward hated to hear the phone ring.

Schwartz, whose name is written in ink on Team Canada’s final roster, said he didn’t feel good about handing the phone to roommate Matt Dumba, one of seven players released Tuesday morning.

“The phone rang and they asked for Matt,” Schwartz said. “I just tried to wish him the best. He’s a young kid and I thought he played really well.

“I talked to him last night and he said that’s some of the best hockey he’s ever played.

“I don’t he has any regrets. He’s a young kid and he’s going to have plenty of shots. He’s got a bright future.”

Calgary Flames draft picks Michael Ferland (Brandon Wheat Kings) and Max Reinhart (Kootenay Ice) were also sent packing along with defencemen Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (Rimouski Oceanic) and Brenden Kichton (Spokane Chiefs) and forwards Mark McNeill (Prince Albert Raiders) and Zack Phillips (Saint John Sea Dogs).

Schwartz, one of Team Canada’s four returnees, told Dumba, the youngest player in camp and a Calgary native, to look at a couple of other recent Team Canada cuts — Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Tyler Seguin — for inspiration.

Nugent-Hopkins failed to make last year’s squad, but went No. 1 in the draft to the Edmonton Oilers and is the clear-cut frontrunner to win the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie.

Seguin received the dreaded call two years ago and he already has a Stanley Cup ring on his finger.

“I felt bad,” Schwartz said. “I felt really bad.

“You look at Nugent-Hopkins and how he had such a strong second half and look where he ended up. I just told (Dumba) to look at that. And Seguin did the same thing. They were two guys that popped into my mind. The same thing happened to them and they’ve done great things ever since.

“He’s an unreal player and I just tried to help him as much as I could.”

Schwartz said losing his roommate was a reminder of how fortunate he is to get a second chance after being knocked out of last year’s tournament with a broken ankle.

“It’s never fun,” the St. Louis Blues prospect said. “You don’t get a lot of sleep during these nights. It’s a scary thing because you want to make this team.

“Once (Dumba) left the room, it made me realize today is the last day and you can’t take anything for granted.

“It put things in perspective and made me want it that much more.”

Team Canada coach Don Hay, who will make the remaining cuts Wednesday morning, said there isn’t a single easy release in the bunch.

“Whenever you’re dealing with elite players, the decisions are tough,” Hay said.

“I thought Matt did very well. We knew he would do well here.

“But is he ready for this tournament at this time? We don’t think so.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hockey Canada unveils team for world junior hockey championship

DONNA SPENCER, The Canadian Press, Dec. 14, 2011

The 22 players tasked with re-claiming the gold medal for Canada at the world junior hockey championships were unveiled Wednesday.

Named to the team were goaltenders Mark Visentin and Scott Wedgewood, with Nathan Beaulieu, Brandon Gormley, Jamie Oleksiak, Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington, Ryan Murray and Mark Pysyk all on defence.

Canada's goalies Scott Wedgewood, left, and Tyler Bunz, right, stretch during Canada's annual selection camp in preparation for the upcoming IIHF World Junior Championships in Calgary, Alta., on Sunday, Dec. 11, 2011.
Video
Coach looks for versatility with junior roster

Up front, Freddie Hamilton, Quinton Howden, Jonathan Huberdeau, Tanner Pearson, Mark Scheifele, Devante Smith-Pelly, Mark Stone, Ryan Strome, Michael Bournival, Brett Connolly, Brendan Gallagher, Boone Jenner and Jaden Schwartz will play for Canada.

Thirteen players were released from the team Wednesday morning.

Edmonton and Calgary will host this year's world event. Canada opens the tournament Dec. 26 in Edmonton. After a run of five straight gold, Canada has taken silver the last two years.

Canada will play exhibition games in Calgary, Red Deer, Alta., and Edmonton next week.

Freddie and Dougie Hamilton will be the first brothers to play for the Canadian team since Randy and Mike Moller 30 years ago. Freddie is 19 and Dougie is 18.

The Hamilton brothers play for the Ontario Hockey League's Niagara IceDogs, who are well-represented on the team. In addition to the siblings, Strome and Visentin were the other IceDogs selected.

Canada boasts two NHL forwards in Smith-Pelly of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and Connolly of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Saint John Sea Dogs winger Huberdeau and Howden of the Moose Jaw Warriors also made the team despite questionable health. Huberdeau has yet to skate since breaking a bone in his right foot Nov. 7.

Howden took a hard check from Connolly in the second intra-squad game of camp and has an “upper-body injury.”

Both are expected to be important players for Canada. Huberdeau was the Memorial Cup MVP. Howden is one of four returning players from the team that won silver in Buffalo, N.Y., last January. Connolly, Schwartz and Visentin are the other three.

Hockey Canada can recall a released player in the event of an injury, but it's against policy to keep extra players after the team is named.

The selected players and staff are heading to Banff, Alta., later this week for practices and team building.

The players released were goaltenders Louis Dominigue and Tyler Bunz, defencemen Cody Ceci, Alex Petrovic, Ryan Murphy and Joe Morrow as well as forwards Brett Bulmer, Phil Di Guiseppe, Tyler Toffoli, Christian Thomas, Ty Rattie, Brad Ross and Phillip Danault.

Danault of the Victoria Tigres was the most surprising as he'd scored twice in an exhibition game against university players the previous night.

“I'm cut but I respect their decision,” said Danault, who at 18 will have another chance next year. “If they win the gold medal, I'll respect it more for sure.”

The defence was particularly deep at camp with half of the 14 blue-liners invited first-round draft picks of NHL teams.

Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers was drafted 12th overall by Carolina this year, but the 18-year-old was released by Canada. He's an offensive defenceman and tried to show he could play defence too.

“I kind of look back at it and wish that I was playing like myself,” Murphy said. “Maybe I didn't have to change my game, maybe I just have to be aware of other aspects of my game.”

“It's pretty difficult,” Murphy said. “Getting woken up at 6 a.m. is not the easiest thing and knowing it's you and not your roommate is also not an easy thing. I'll be back next year maybe and hopefully make the team then.”

Murray of the Everett Silvertips isn't draft eligible until next year, but he was named to the Canadian squad.

Petrovic is an Edmonton native and was disappointed to hear his phone ring early in the morning, because it meant he was summoned to meet with the coaches and hear the bad news.

“I was kind of in a deep sleep,” Petrovic said. “I had a little dream of actually waking up and making the team, but I got the call. Obviously, it's a heartbreak.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

L.A. story for Sutter? Close to taking job with Kings

ERIC FRANCIS, QMI Agency, Dec 14 2011

CALGARY - Darryl Sutter is a simple “yes” away from returning to the NHL as coach of the Los Angeles Kings.

A source close to the situation confirmed the former Calgary Flames coach and GM has been asked by Kings GM Dean Lombardi if he’ll take over from interim coach John Stevens.

If he answers affirmatively, it would be the first thing anyone in the hockey world has heard from Sutter in almost a calendar year, which makes his return all the more surprising.

Since being fired as GM of the Flames last Christmas the 53-year-old executive went underground, disappearing from the game that once dominated his life.

Put out to pasture with a big severance cheque and a trail of nasty editorials blaming him for the sizeable hole he’d left the franchise in, Sutter retreated to his family’s homestead in Viking, Alta., to resume farming.

Refusing to answer any of the hundreds of phone calls from lowly media types, Sutter opted not to respond publicly to the ousting and hasn’t been quoted ever since.

Many figured his NHL career was over.

Holding a grudge the size of a hay bale, he still hasn’t spoken to his brother Brent who remained on as head coach in Calgary. It speaks to the dysfunctional way in which Sutter ran the Flames as GM.

He hasn’t been spotted in any rinks around the NHL nor has he been connected to any of the previous coaching vacancies this year.

Then along came his fiercely loyal pal, Lombardi, who desperately needs someone to light a fire under his underachieving team.

Lighting fires is what Darryl Sutter does best.

While the Flames will spend years putting out some of the blazes he lit as a GM, the Flames owe much of their financial resurrection to his coaching abilities.

That must be said.

He turned this franchise around faster than anyone ever fathomed was possible, pushing a rag-tag bunch of muckers to within one game of the Stanley Cup final in 2004.

His record in San Jose, where Lombardi last hired Sutter, saw the team improve all five years under his guidance, and he has a 107-73-26 record as coach here.

In Calgary, his act as a miserable taskmaster who couldn’t differentiate between winning and being a human being, wore thin with the players who were thrilled he finally booted himself upstairs to be GM.

The question is, can his ball-breaking, reign-of-terror approach work in today’s NHL?

Most think it can’t since the players make too much money, wield too much influence and need to be treated with more respect — something Sutter rarely afforded any of the people who worked around him, on or off the ice.

What’s more, can a man who has been away from the NHL completely for a year simply jump back in and be effective?

It’s clearly a desperate act for Lombardi who has already gone through two coaches and is on the hook should his latest hire fail.

He’s seen Sutter turn things around before, and clearly he beleives the confidence a man of Sutter’s ilk is what his band of underachievers need to be one of the elite teams it was pegged as this fall.

One other question that needs to be asked: Is it possible Sutter can change?

Mike Keenan did in Calgary to a certain degree, but it didn’t work with the Flames.

It’s likely we’re about to find out whether it can work in L.A.

All that’s needed is for Sutter to speak up for the first time in a year to make it happen.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Can HBO deliver another compelling season of 24/7?

BRUCE DOWBIGGIN, Globe and Mail, Dec. 14, 2011

It would be hard to exaggerate the impact of HBO’s initial 24/7 documentary series last NHL season on the sport in the United States. The whiff of HBO’s respectability married to the sound track of Bruce Boudreau’s serial profanity raised the profile of the sport south of the border and entertained hockey lifers in Canada, too.

Ratings for the series featuring Pittsburgh and Washington, which culminated in the fateful Sidney Crosby concussed-in-the-rain game, were buoyant by NHL standards. The series won an Emmy for technical excellence. A generation of sports media in the U.S. which disdains hockey took a second look. Some gave it a third look.

Even the cognoscenti in Canada were impressed by the access and insight they gained on players such as Max Talbot or Alex Ovechkin and Penguins coach Dan Bylsma.

So what do you do for an encore when the Rangers/Flyers dressing-room confidential debuts tonight? The 12-minute preview isn’t especially helpful in priming the pump. While the producers do their best to make the Rangers/Flyers rivalry seem like Pacquiao/Mayweather, the quotes from players and coaches sound more like Brady Bunch versus The Waltons on Family Feud.

Rangers coach John Tortorella does allow that he hates having the cameras around, and various players growl that they loath the other guys. But if you want Usual Suspects to reserve the next four Wednesday nights (okay PVR them and watch ‘em later) you have to deliver a little more than boilerplate WWE hype. Perhaps the producers didn’t want to give away the best nuggets so far.

What is notable is that the producers are not emphasizing the skill in the sport. The version of hockey in the slick edits and great cameras work is 90 per cent crash and 10 per cent dash. Most NHL nights this season contain one, maybe two fights in all the games. But the promo makes the uninitiated believe that Rocky V is about to happen 10 times a period. That’s an interesting editorial choice at a time when the league’s stars are being concussed at a furious rate and a stick-tap on the gloves draws a penalty.

There were some quick cuts in the promo of the rain falling last year in Pittsburgh, causing a one-day delay and a generally unplayable surface. Will the risks of playing outdoors be raised in the documentaries? Will Crosby's concussion get air time?

The other factor emerging is the NHL's continued adoption of the NBA/MLB broadcast strategy of “pay for 30 teams and use only eight”. This is a major-market initiative. Canadian teams do not exist for U.S. market considerations. You are not going to see a Columbus/St. Louis Game of the Week, and you’re not going to see 24/7 spend a month chronicling the inner workings of the Minnesota Wild (best in the West so far) and Carolina Hurricanes.

The league is happy enough to have these teams function (in the words of NBA owner Dan Gilbert) as the Washington Generals, but getting HBO or NBC on board? Not going to happen. The league has been lucky to have one of the elite eight U.S. markets in the Stanley Cup Finals since 2004’s Calgary/Tampa tussle, accounting for boffo ratings and media attention. But if the Wild somehow emerge to challenge the Buffalo Sabres in the Final, expect Bob Costas to get laryngitis.

So enjoy tonight. Maybe there will be gems. Maybe there won’t. Just remember the whole thing bothers Tortorella no end, and that’ll be worth the time invested in 24/7.

What Rivalry: Good on Prime Time Sports’ Bob McCown who’s been having fun this week with the Appalachian wedding of Bell and Rogers buying into Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. While co-host Damien Cox pursues a “nothing to see here” insouciance about editorial complications from the rivals merging interests at MLSE, McCown has been making light of the divided loyalties produced by the two companies owning all the Toronto pro sports franchises (except the Argonauts).

Monday McCown mused about how the sluggos in the broadcast trenches are supposed to resume their supposed bitter competition after watching their bosses hug it out last Friday. Tuesday he was asking if his paycheque would now be “Thirty-seven and half cents from Rogers, Thirty-seven and half cents from Bell and twenty five cents from Larry Tanenbaum”. And so on.

Cox, who seems annoyed at the entire line of inquiry, wondered what’s the fuss about when the companies united for the two weeks of the 2010 Olympics? McCown rebutted that was a one-off for two weeks. This is, like, FOREVER. McCown has tribal immunity at Sportsnet, of course. Still it’s refreshing that not everyone is ignoring the elephant in journalism’s closet.

Then Again: Of course, McCown followed that by joking that the name of Eric Lamaze’s deceased horse was “Giddyup” during a discussion of Lou Marsh Award balloting. Cox thought the Olympic gold-medal winning horse might be named “Hickory”. Sigh. Hickstead was the name.

Penn State Of Mind: You might think that the Penn State sex scandal is a made-in-America scandal. But Canadian networks are tying the Jerry Sandusky criminal case to events in Canada during the infamous Graham James case. CBC News Network highlighted the testimony of Sheldon Kennedy - one of James’s victims - Tuesday throughout its news day. CTV News Network was on the case as well. Good hustle.

Tebow TV: Hey, have you heard, this Tim Tebow kid in Denver might be worth watching? At least, that’s what we hear from ESPN. Twenty-four hours a flippin’ day. The best part of the Tebow phenomenon is how he makes traditional NFL personnel guys on TV who’ve predicted his demise look simply apoplectic when he does everything wrong and still wins. “He can’t play. He can’t throw,” one of them ranted in August. And you know who you are, Boomer Esiason.

Marvelous Marv: Another reason why we hope Marv Albert never retires. The veteran announcer was doing the Houston/Cincinnati NFL game Sunday when it was noted that the parents of Texans’ QB T.J. Yates had perhaps not received field-level seats for the game from the Bengals’ box office. We especially like Marv’s line about security guards hassling John and Carol Yates for moving down seven rows into the sunlight.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Junior hockey fever grips downtown Calgary

Meghan Potkins, Calgary Herald, December 14, 2011

Hockey fans getting excited before the world junior hockey champion-ship invaded the downtown Tuesday.

Businesses and charities sought to drum up excitement among downtown lunchers for the high-calibre hockey tournament that will see the gold medal game take place at the Saddledome on Jan. 5.

KidSport Calgary volunteers were at Bankers Hall encouraging Calgarians to "paint the town in Canadian flags" in support of Team Canada.

The group is selling vehicle-mounted flags with proceeds going to thousands of lowincome kids in Calgary who need financial assistance to participate in sports.

KidSport manager Mark Kosak hopes international fans in town to watch the juniors are over-whelmed by Canada's show of patriotism and enthusiasm for the sport.

"This is a sports town," said Kosak.

"The world juniors grip this country and here it is in our own backyard."

Kosak is hoping to take advantage of the city's excitement for the tournament to bring attention to kids who face barriers to participating in sports like hockey, soccer and swimming.

"There's a lot of support here, not just for the pro sports, but for amateur sports, and I think people understand that it's important for every kid to have the chance to play sports."

Also downtown Tuesday morning were two hockey fans who had run the equivalent of nearly a marathon per day for the last eight days in the name of sport.

Jogging down Stephen Avenue were two Sport Chek employees, fresh from a 300-kilometre journey from Edmonton to Calgary.

Pam Harman, 22, and Davin Swift, 25, ran in bone-chilling conditions to drum up support for the world juniors and will be rewarded by their employer with tickets to the gold medal game.

"(I love) the passion and the energy that the young guys have," said Swift, of Canada's junior players.

"And just seeing the amount of emotion that comes out of those young players makes for great hockey."

The world juniors tournament kicks off with Canada vs. Finland on Boxing Day in Edmonton.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Flames buzzing about Darryl Sutter’s link to L.A.
“(Coaching) is where Darryl’s niche is,” says brother Brent

By SCOTT CRUICKSHANK, Calgary Herald December 14, 2011

Craig Conroy remembers it very clearly.

He remembers sitting in the dressing room — it’s the first intermission of a game against the San Jose Sharks — and watching as Steve Montador gets absolutely roasted by the new boss.

He remembers standing up, interrupting the tirade, blasting the blaster.

He remembers not getting another shift that night.

“I probably should have just shut up, but I didn’t,” Conroy, chuckling, is saying during Tuesday’s morning skate at the Bridgestone Arena. “You know when you get fed up with stuff? Then I’m thinking, I’m not going to play at all. How stupid am I?”

But next game out?

He gets a tonne of ice time.

This is Conroy’s point — that, yes, Darryl Sutter’s whip cracks louder than most, but it never turns into a grudge.

“From that moment on, I knew that anything Darryl did wasn’t personal,” says Conroy, now a member of the Flames’ braintrust. “This is the way he coaches. As soon as players find out that it’s not personal when he’s coming at you . . . it’s just about hockey, winning. He’s a great coach. One of the best I’ve had.”

Rumours of Sutter’s imminent hiring by the Los Angeles Kings had the rink buzzing Tuesday.

Could it be true?

Might the Kings, freshly shed of Terry Murray, hire Sutter?

Makes sense. After all, Los Angeles general manager Dean Lombardi and Sutter go back to their days in San Jose.

And the thoughts of many observers is that Sutter, while not a great general manager (enough said), is, in fact, a very good coach.

With the Flames, Sutter worked the bench for 210 games, going 107-73-30. If his three years in Chicago and six in San Jose are included, his record is 409-320-131.

“To me, (coaching) is where Darryl’s niche is,” said Flames coach Brent Sutter, the younger brother. “I believe it’s something Darryl’s always wanted to continue to do. When he was coaching, he was a good coach.”

Which is why the Flames are perhaps not entirely thrilled by the development.

Sure, they gave the Kings permission to approach Sutter. But what happens if, in the snug Western Conference, the Jolly Rancher gets the Kings rolling?

“I think, if he gets the job, he’s going to do well, just like Ken Hitchcock is doing (in St. Louis),” says Conroy. “You know how Darryl is — he gets a lot out of guys. The team’s going to do well with Darryl . . . they’d have success. It’s too bad they’re in the west.

“If it does happen, there’ll be some intense games between the Flames and Los Angeles.”

All four dates remain — Jan. 14 and March 28 at the Scotiabank Saddledome; Jan. 19 and Feb. 18 at the Staples Center.

“It’s hard to say you wish him the best because I imagine they’ll be fighting us . . . there’s only so many (playoff) spots,” says Jarome Iginla. “He’s a very intense guy, but he’s also a very smart hockey guy. As a coach, he’s demanding — probably runs in the family.

“When it was going bad, everybody — literally, everybody — took the brunt of it at some point. But every day wasn’t a whip. Certainly there are days when he may not love you, or vice versa . . . but I’ve only got good things to say about him as a coach.”

Hired by the Flames on Dec. 28, 2002 — yes, the same date as last season’s dismissal — Sutter coached three seasons: mopping up after Greg Gilbert was canned; taking the team to its first playoff berth in seven years (and to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final) in 2003-04; capturing the Northwest Division in 2005-06, the first post-lockout season.

Conroy says it is Sutter’s in-game touch that makes him such a shrewd bench-boss.

“Darryl had a knack for putting guys out and getting something big to happen,” he says. “Ville Nieminen. Or Chris Clark. It’s easy to put Jarome out, but it’s the other guys. Stephane Yelle. We had success with maybe not the best teams, but he got as much as he could out of every single guy.”

The day he arrived in Calgary, Sutter, after being introduced to the players in the dressing room, politely asked the team’s brass to leave so he could address the players.

“He wanted to be with just his team,” recalls Conroy. “He just kind of laid it out, ‘This is what it’s going to be like, where we’re going to go, how we’re going to do it.’ It was a very short meeting. And away we went. Darryl’s good. He’s quick.

“He can push the right buttons at the right time. You knew what your role was. If you did it? Great. If you didn’t? You heard about it.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Domi's son charts own path

Darren Yourk, Globe and Mail, Dec. 14, 2011

Max Domi believes the day will come when the first question reporters ask won’t be about life as the son of a famous NHLer.

Yes, he’s Tie’s boy, blessed with the same fire hydrant build and mischievous grin, but he’s a different type of player intent on carving his own path to the pros. While his father forged a long career on snarl and knuckles, soft hands and offensive flare will define Max’s hockey future.

“I’ve lived with it my entire life,” Domi said when yet another reporter arrived here to ask the 16-year-old London Knights centre about playing junior hockey with the famous last name across the back of his sweater.

“I don’t really focus on any of the negative stuff that comes with having an ex-NHLer for a dad. He played 18 years in the NHL, so whenever I have a question my dad is right there for me. I see it as a positive, not a negative.”

Domi is off to an impressive start in his first Ontario Hockey League season, sitting second in rookie scoring with 31 points in 31 games. He’s been chosen to play for Team Ontario at the 2012 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Windsor, Ont., this month, and the Knights are the top-ranked junior team in the country.

“Our team is doing really well and it’s a great group of guys,” Domi said. “I just try to work hard and make my teammates around me better. You ask any hockey player about the best times in their life and they’ll tell you it was playing junior, so I’m trying to make the most of it.”

Although he spent most of his minor midget season checking out National Collegiate Athletic Association programs (he says he would have studied business), Domi ultimately chose the OHL and ended up enrolled at the Hunter Bros. School of Junior Hockey in London. Former NHLers Mark and Dale Hunter (who recently left to coach the Washington Capitals) have owned and operated the Knights since 2000, graduating talent such as Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, Rick Nash and Corey Perry to the NHL.

“It’s a first-class organization,” Domi said. “It’s pretty special for a young guy like myself to come in here and have the support and resources of the Knights to help me. It has made the jump to junior a lot easier.”

Domi also has a sounding board in Knights assistant coach Dylan Hunter, who knows all about the burden of living up to a famous hockey surname. Hunter was a prolific scorer for the Knights when his dad Dale (the only NHL player to rack up more than 1,500 points and 3,000 penalty minutes) was behind the bench.

“I told Max: You have your identity and your dad had his,” Hunter said. “Just because it’s the same name on the back of the jersey doesn’t mean you’re the same player.

“We’ve talked about it [the pressure] a little bit, mostly about the guys chirping you on the ice. It gets old after a while. We laugh about it because it doesn’t really affect you, but for some reason guys think it does. Max is a good kid, he doesn’t go over the edge at all.”

They’ve also compared notes on unique childhoods spent in NHL arenas surrounded by some of the biggest names in the game. Hunter lists shooting on former Vézina Trophy winner Olaf Kolzig after Capitals practice as his most cherished memory, while Domi points to days off from school spent on the ice at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

“I’d take a bucket of pucks and dump them at centre, then skate around for hours,” Domi said. “I remember looking up and imagining those seats were full of people. Now that I’m in the OHL, I feel a step closer to making it happen.”

Domi is eligible for the 2013 NHL entry draft, and with the rule changes that have cut down on obstruction and put emphasis on speed, his smaller size (he’s very generously listed at 5 foot 10 and 184 pounds in the Knights program) isn’t expected to be an issue.

If it all pans out, Tie Domi might even one day be better known as the father of NHL star Max Domi.

“Me and my dad joke about that a lot,” Domi said with a laugh. “He gets me going and I give it right back to him. It’s definitely what I’m trying to do here.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Are we sending our best off ice too?

RYAN PYETTE, QMI Agency, Dec 14 2011

LONDON, ONT. - The teens selected to represent Canada at the coming world junior hockey tournament are endlessly evaluated, poked and prodded and placed under enormous national pressure.

It's time the men above them took some heat too.

Nobody asked Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson, head scout Kevin Prendergast or coach Don Hay to jump through the kinds of hoops the kids do every year to be involved with this team.

But maybe, somebody should.

If the Canadians go a third straight year without winning the tournament that only this country cares about, then Nicholson better have some good answers for the processes under which his team operates.

And please spare us the wrinkle he lobbied for earlier this year, that the NHL draft age should be raised, which would, in effect, virtually guarantee Canada landing a half-dozen or so of its elite pro players for this post-holiday puck circus.

That's like a South African billionaire griping his mine's in trouble because six of his biggest diamonds have gone missing.

There's still more than enough talent in this country, an embarrassment of first-round NHL riches, and the bottom line is the tournament deck is stacked in Canada's favour by being held here every other year.

It all comes down to picking the right players and putting the right men behind the bench.

Other top countries aren't fooling around.

The Russians went right back to Valeri Bragin, who oversaw the stunning gold medal in Buffalo. The United States recycled Dean Blais, whose team beat Canada in overtime in Saskatoon two years ago.

Hay gets the call for Canada. He obviously has a fine track record, winning a gold medal a decade-and-a-half ago and a Memorial Cup five years ago at home in Vancouver.

Best of all under Nicholson's structure, he applied for the job.

But then you have two-time defending Canadian Hockey League coach of the year Gerard Gallant in Saint John saying he didn't apply for the job this year and it's not a big goal for him.

Here's the hottest coach leading the team with the most talent on the planet and he just won the Memorial Cup. Shouldn't Nicholson be practically stalking him to help the national juniors?

You never see Quebec Remparts boss Patrick Roy, who has convinced young and talented top scorer Mikhail Grigorenko to buy into back-checking hard, on the Canadian bench. Or, before he went to the NHL last month, London Knights coach Dale Hunter, the OHL's all-time leader in winning percentage who, at times, humourously outcoached rivals that would go on to eagerly represent Canada internationally.

Nicholson has Prendergast comb North America for the top talent. Shouldn't someone also be scouting the coaches and trying to determine the hot hand in the land?

Especially after how they lost in Buffalo, with a coaching staff that had watched Russia win two playoff games in desperate rallies, yet didn't make a goalie change or even call a timeout until it was too late, while everyone in the rink could feel the tide turning in the third period.

Hockey Canada likes to reward men who give up parts of their busy schedules to help the program in some form. If you spend time in the system and go somewhere with the under-18 team, there's a better-than-average chance you'll one day wind up on the world junior bench.

But the puck-following public doesn't care about any of that.

They want the guy who can harness these gifted horses, get them playing the most successful system and put the right kids on the ice in the biggest moments. No one will question anything if Canada wins gold.

But these are certainly the highest stakes for Hockey Canada in some time. The tournament is right in their own backyard. The next two will be in Russia and Sweden.

And if they don't win now with everything in their favour, that should certainly be the ignition for Hockey Canada to start looking at making some necessary, and overdue, changes.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Danes face hockey, Canadian-style

By GERRY MODDEJONGE, QMI Agency, Dec 14 2011

EDMONTON - Before the Denmark national junior hockey team takes on the best in the world later this month, they will warm up against the best the Canada West Conference has to offer.

The U of A Golden Bears will face the U20 squad in back-to-back exhibition games Thursday and Friday at Clare Drake Arena.

Tied atop their conference with the University of Saskatchewan Huskies at 24 points apiece, the older, stronger Bears squad will give Denmark an introduction to hockey, North American style.

All but two — Oshawa Generals forward Nicklas Jensen and Anders Schulz, of the USHL’s Cedar Rapids RoughRiders — play in Europe.

And Vancouver Canucks property Jensen, who was taken 29th overall this year, is the lone NHL-drafted player on the roster.

“We don’t have five or six or seven other Nicklas Jensens, but we have other good hockey players,” said second-year head coach Todd Bjorkstrand. “But it’s going to be a team thing, for us to have success in the tournament, for sure.”

In just their second appearance at the top level of international U20 competition, Denmark is still looking for its first win in the tournament after finishing 0-7 to end up dead last in their first appearance in 2008.

“The expectations are that obviously we want to stay up, that’s the No. 1 goal,” said Bjorkstrand. “And then, just compete in every game. Put a good effort on the ice.”

It’s a case of baby steps for Bjorkstrand, who is from Minnesota and played four years at the University of Maine. After five years in the minors, he found himself playing in Denmark, where he met his wife and spent the past 21 years.

In that time, he has seen hockey develop into a premier program, with more and more players getting drafted to the NHL in recent years.

“We still have a long way to go, but for a small country with not very many hockey players — there are 4,500 registered players — they’ve done (a lot),” Bjorkstrand said.

But the goal isn’t always to send Denmark’s high-end talent to North America to have a shot at the pros.

“In Nicklas’s situation, for sure, he needs to go over and play junior hockey in Canada,” the coach said. “But it depends on the individual and his situation.”

Bjorkstrand has two sons on Denmark’s preliminary roster, 19-year-old Patrick and 16-year-old Oliver who are both forwards on the Blue Fox in Herning, Denmark.

“I’m from Minnesota, so I’m a hockey player,” said Bjorkstrand, whose sons are born and raised in Denmark. “They’ve been around it their whole lives. They liked it and they’ve been playing it.”

The thought has crossed his mind to get them playing in the U.S.

“I think about it all the time,” he said. “I think they’d like to, the rest is kind of up to them.”

Until then, the Bjorkstrand boys and the rest of their countrymen will have a chance to see what it’s like playing against some experienced CIS players Thursday and Friday, most of whom have played out their junior careers and are focusing on education while playing with the Bears.

It’s an opportunity the coach isn’t going to pass up as the world juniors loom near.

“Look at different players in different situations. Look at everyone,” he said. “That’s what these games are for.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Flames set to attack Torpedo

By RANDY SPORTAK, QMI Agency, Dec 14 2011

TAMPA - When a system is referred to as the Torpedo, it conjures up images of an attack.

However, that title sure makes the 1-3-1 ‘forechecking’ gameplan often used by the Tampa Bay Lightning a misnomer.

The Calgary Flames will get their chance Thursday to face the host Lightning and their system (5:30 p.m., Sportsnet Flames), which received all kinds of attention a few weeks ago when the Philadelphia Flyers responded by not moving the puck out of their defensive zone to the point play was called because absolutely nothing was happening.

“We played them last year when they did it, and to be honest, I didn’t think it as anything revolutionary,” said Flames centre Brendan Morrison, recalling the 4-2 win by the veteran forward and the host club at the Saddledome. “It works for them — they’ve been successful — but it’s not a situation where you step back and scratch your head saying, ‘Oh my God, how do we break this down?’

“We actually fared pretty well against it last year. The key is you’ve got to keep moving.”

The Lightning aren’t the only NHL club to incorporate the 1-3-1 gameplan — which is designed to clog the neutral zone when the other team has possession of the puck — but somehow Tampa Bay’s squad has become synonymous with it.

It’s much like how the New Jersey Devils and the Minnesota Wild were universally panned in years past for utilizing the left-wing lock.

The Flames are going into their clash with the belief they don’t want to spend too much time worrying about what the Lightning plan to do, preferring to concentrate on what they must do to be most effective.

“We’re going to make a few adjustments for their system, as we do on a daily basis preparing for another team, but it’s going to come down to what we do on the ice and how we execute,” said Flames left winger Alex Tanguay. “We’re capable of playing good games, and they’ve been struggling a little bit lately, so for us, we have to make sure we go out there and get some points.”

To say the Lightning are struggling lately is an understatement.

Heading into the latest rematch of the 2004 Stanley Cup final, the Lightning have just one win in eight games, and that was a come-from-behind shootout victory over the New York Rangers in a tilt which became known more the shotgun celebration by Rangers forward Artem Anisimov after a goal.

The Lightning have been outscored 31-16 in their swoon, and — if matters weren’t bad enough — they are currently without star player Martin St. Louis due to injury.

Still, the Lightning boast enough talent with the likes of fellow forward talents Steven Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier to cobble together wins.

“I know there’s been a lot of talk about (the 1-3-1), but you can’t get caught up in it. You’ve got to play your game. You’ve got to play like you can play,” said Flames head coach Brent Sutter. “There’s been teams that had success against it, too. You’ve seen it enough and know how to adjust and adapt to it. We’ll make those adjustments, making sure we’re doing what we need to against it.”

Sutter and the rest of his coaching staff tuned into the Bolts’ last game — a 5-4 Monday loss to the New Jersey Devils — in which the Devils controlled more than the final score indicated.

“They got pucks in transition quickly and didn’t allow (the Lightning) to get in that (Torpedo) situation. There’s way to defend against it and ways to beat it,” Sutter said.

Coming off a disappointing 2-1 loss Tuesday night to the Nashville Predators, the Flames should have reason to instil their gameplan on the hosts.

Plus they know they blew a chance to pull a little bit closer to being in the Western Conference’s top eight with that loss in Music City, USA.

“We know where we stand. We’ve been battling extremely hard to get back in the thick of things, and here we are,” Tanguay said. “Let’s go out and try to play a solid game in Tampa and (Friday night) in Florida.

“If we go four of out six (of the remaining points available on this road trip), we’ll be close to a playoff spot.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

THN.com Top 10: Underachieving players

Adam Proteau, The Hockey News, 2011-12-14

The NHL season is nearly 40 percent complete – more than enough time to establish which players are flat-out underachieving. Who are the league’s biggest underachievers so far? That’s the focus of the THN.com Top 10 this week:

10. Paul Stastny, Avalanche

Yes, Stastny is on pace to finish this season with 22 goals, the same total he had last year. But the 25-year-old also is on track for just 19 assists –16 fewer than he had last season, and 40 fewer than he amassed in 2009-10.

9. Kyle Okposo, Islanders

He’s still just 23 and is coming off an injury-plagued season, but two years ago, Okposo had 19 goals and 52 points in 82 games – and this year, with four goals and 10 points in 25 games, he’s on pace for just 12 goals and 30 points.

8. Ilya Bryzgalov, Flyers

Bryzgalov hit the contractual jackpot when he signed a nine-year, $51-million deal with Philly, but for the first two months of the season, he was abysmal – at one point, his save percentage was .870 – and the team still needs more from him if the Flyers are to stay at the top of the tough Atlantic Division.

7. Ilya Kovalchuk, Devils

It’s hard to believe Kovalchuk is a two-time 50-goal scorer at the NHL level, but with each passing year of declining production, the 28-year-old is making it easier to believe. He’s on pace for 27 goals this year, down from 31 last season, and down from 41 in 2009-10. And he’s a team-worst minus-10.

6. Eric Staal, Hurricanes

It’s bad enough Staal is headed for a 17-goal, 50-point season – his worst since his rookie numbers of 11 goals and 31 points – but his minus-18 mark is the worst in the entire NHL. At least Cam Ward has the excuse of a subpar defense.

5. Ville Leino, Sabres

Leino has been under pressure since the second his signature appeared at the bottom of a six-year, $27-million contract with Buffalo and has crumbled under the weight of it, amassing just three goals, 10 points and a minus-7 rating.

4. Drew Doughty, Kings

The latest in a long line of players who’ve followed up a contractual stalemate with a tough start to the season, Doughty is on course to finish the year with 24 points – three fewer than he had his rookie season. In the first season of an eight-year, $56-million deal, that’s beyond unacceptable.

3. Alex Ovechkin, Capitals

What hasn’t been said about the fall from grace of one of the league’s marquee talents? The problem with Ovechkin’s severe drop-off in play clearly wasn’t about ex-Caps coach Bruce Boudreau: in the seven games since new coach Dale Hunter came aboard, Ovechkin has one goal, four points and is a minus-three.

2. Scott Gomez, Canadiens

By now, it’s almost unfair to keep harping on Gomez and his diminishing skill set. Almost. When you have a cap hit of $7.4 million for this and the next two years, and when you have just four assists to show for it this season, the fairness spectrum isn’t tilted in your favor. Probably the league’s leading candidate for an amnesty buyout if that is part of the NHL’s next labor agreement.

1. Alex Semin, Capitals

Semin is earning $6.7 million this year. In 26 games, he has as many goals (five) as Dennis Wideman and John Carlson and fewer goals than teammates Brooks Laich, Jason Chimera and Troy Brouwer. Even as a potentially appealing expiring contract, he is attracting virtually zero trade interest from other teams. I’d call him a dog, but the sun shines even on every dog’s behind sooner or later, and Semin has been a remarkable shade-finder this year.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Colby the clown: Clarke MacArthur says nobody is safe from Armstrong's barbs

Mike Brophy, Sportsnet.ca, December 14, 2011

Every class needs one - a clown, that is.

And so, too, does every hockey team; somebody who can lighten the mood in the dressing room during tough times and who routinely puts a smile on the faces of his teammates.

In the case of the Toronto Maple Leafs, the class clown is none other than Colby Armstrong. The 29-year-old, who is in his seventh NHL season, gets his jokes off quicker than a Phil Kessel snap shot. Over the course of a long and stressful hockey season, that is important to team bonding.

The problem is, since Armstrong signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Maple Leafs two years ago, he has spent a great deal of time injured. And when players are hurt and not playing, they rarely interact with their teammates. Last season, a variety of injuries limited Armstrong to only 50 games and already this year the 6-foot-2, 195-pound right winger has missed 23 games with a high ankle sprain. The injury occurred Oct. 19 in a game against the Winnipeg Jets and didn't return until Dec. 9.

On Wednesday, Armstrong limped off the ice at practice, but he is expected to play against the Sabres Friday night in Buffalo.

In the two games he has played since returning, Armstrong's playing time has been limited to an average of 11 minutes per game; down five minutes from the 16:07 he averaged last season. The Leafs are clearly breaking him in slowly. He has one assist, but it is not the points that make Armstrong such a valuable member of any team he has played on. It's his dogged determination on the ice and his witty charm off it.

"He can keep the dressing room lose," said winger Clarke MacArthur. "He's one of those guys who can knock the edge of jitters some guys have. He goes out and plays his steady game every night. There's a lot to learn from him."

MacArthur said nobody is safe from Armstrong's barbs.

"He works the room pretty good," MacArthur said. "He and Dion (Phaneuf) go at it pretty good sometimes. It's fun. It loosens things up. It can be a stressful environment in the dressing room at times so it's good to have somebody to take the edge off a little. You always miss a guy like that when he's hurt. Not just his carp off the ice, but his intensity and determination on the ice. His on-ice play is what is really missed. He's a steady guy that can always be counted on."

"He's an easy going, loose, fun person who's always chirping the guys," added defenceman Luke Schenn. "He lightens things up around the room, definitely at the best of times, but at the worst of times, too. You can't replace a guy like that in the dressing room. He's such a likeable guy that everybody misses him when he's hurt."

Following Tuesday's 2-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes, Armstrong said he felt pretty good considering the length of time he was out. Still, Armstrong added there really is no substitution for game action when it comes to recovering conditioning and timing.

"You can bag skate, like I was doing, all you want, but until you get in there and start battling defencemen, doing that when you're a little tired with the puck, you don't get the same results," Armstrong said. "I was a little better than I thought I'd be right off the bat; I thought it would take a little while to get where I'm at."

When goalie James Reimer missed six weeks with a concussion, or whatever the Leafs want to call it, he said there was nothing he could do about the situation so he didn't worry about it. Armstrong said he is not quite as patient. He could not relax.

"I'm a head case; I have seven different kinds of doctors," Armstrong joked. "It is so tough sitting out. You are really separated from the team. I really enjoy being around the guys and being in the room, so there's nothing worse than when you are off to the side and not involved. You're on a totally different schedule. I couldn't wait to play again after my first game back. I am being given an opportunity to play with some pretty good players right now so I want to make the most of that."

As happy as Armstrong is to be playing again, his teammates are equally pleased that he back on the scene.

"He played the first few games for us and I don't think you realize how much he brings to the room until he's gone," added defenceman John-Michael Liles. "He's got that veteran presence. He's a vocal guy and now that he's back you realize how much you have missed him. He's quick-witted and he's got some pretty good jokes. He keeps guys smiling, but at the same time brings a lot of energy to the room and when you do that I think it translates into good play on the ice."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Overlooked by NHL scouts, Pearson earns spot on Team Canada
OHL scoring leader not passed over this time

By Vicki Hall, Postmedia News, December 14, 2011

CALGARY — Tanner Pearson had no designs last summer on representing Canada in the 2012 IIHF world junior hockey championship.

Especially after all 30 teams passed him over for the second year running in the NHL entry draft.

“Ì was actually working that day,” he said Wednesday afternoon, twirling around the ice at the WinSport Arena in his red Team Canada jersey. “I worked for Pro Hockey Life the last two summers selling retail hockey equipment and stuff like that.

“I had my phone in my pocket. I was checking it every once in a while behind closed doors where no one could see, so I wouldn’t get in trouble.”

In spite of the double-draft snub, Pearson earned an invitation to this week’s selection camp in Calgary by leading the Ontario Hockey League in scoring with 26 goals and 66 points in 30 games.

Upon arrival, the Barrie Colts scoring sensation battled nerves in his first two scrimmages but broke out Tuesday night with a goal and several heavy hits in the third exhibition game against a group of Canadian Interuniversity Sport players.

On Wednesday morning, he awoke to the sound of ringing phones and banging doors in the team hotel. He followed the news of the cuts on the Internet.

Twelve down, one to go. Then a reporter said via Twitter that Pearson was next.

His heart sank, but the phone never rang.

“That kind of frightened me a bit,” he said. “But that knock on the door and the congratulations from the coach was awesome.”

Every year, Canadian junior hockey fanatics draw up their projected rosters at the beginning of selection camp. And every year, big names fail to make the list.

Two years ago, Tyler Seguin received the dreaded phone call. The Boston Bruins proceeded to draft him second overall. Last year, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins failed to make the team. He leads the NHL in rookie scoring with 32 points in 30 games.

This time around, puck-moving defenceman Ryan Murphy, a first-round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes, shocked fans by failing to make the team.

But every year, some players slip under the radar and earn a roster spot. Pearson is one. So too are centre Boone Jenner, of the Generals, centre Michael Bournival, of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Shawinigan Cataractes and goalie Scott Wedgewood, of the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers.

“I went to bed at about 2:30, finally,” Wedgewood said. “I think I used about seven different pillows, none of them were comfy enough.

“I woke up at 5:59, just as the clock turned to six and the phone calls started. It was kind of nerve wracking.”

Bournival, whose rights belong to the Colorado Avalanche, is solid on faceoffs and dependable on the penalty kill. Jenner, a Columbus Blue Jackets prospect, can play any of the three forward positions and plays with a physical edge.

Now the team is named, armchair general managers across the country will no doubt second guess those who made it and those who didn’t.

“You have no idea how tough it is,” said head scout Kevin Prendergast. “We had a lot of battles.

“A lot of times, the best player doesn’t make it. It’s a chemistry fit.”

For his part, Pearson is elated to be wearing Team Canada attire instead of selling it this Christmas.

“If someone were to have told me at the beginning of the year that I would be at the world junior camp — or make the team the team — I probably would have just shook my head and laughed,” he said. “But to don this sweater is an honour.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Watch: Best shinny rink ever?

Luke Fox, Sportsnet.ca, December 15, 2011

Replay of the Day: Now I know what I want for Christmas. Although the NHL move of Wednesday night belongs to Patrick Kane (see related link), this footage of a low-stakes scrimmage in Windy Arm, Yukon, is the stuff postcards and dreams and goosebumps and life-long hockey addicts are made of.

We’ll have to echo some of the YouTube comments on this one: “Now I understand ‘O Canada’ ”…. “That looks like paradise to me.”… “I want to live there!”

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iwvfYmpYdaM

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Rangers vs. Flyers: The profanities, fears and joys are riveting

Bruce Dowbiggin, Globe and Mail, Dec. 15, 2011

Thinking the second season of HBO’s 24/7 documentary series might not match its predecessor? Think again. Hey, they have Ilya Bryzgalov.

The four-part documentary series following the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers is as up-to-date as Flyer Claude Giroux’s concussion last Saturday, or Artem Anisimov’s sniper routine. It’s as perceptive as Ryan Callahan’s straight-talking, 95-year-old granny.

HBO’s camera work and editing (and at times the budget) make network TV hockey telecasts look like silent films by comparison. And did we say they have Ilya Bryzgalov?

The storytelling techniques remain from Year 1 – getting to know the coaches’ profanity penchants, the players’ apprehensions and joys, the enormous risks of injury endured by the players.

TV likes basic concepts, and 24/7 has a cupboard full of them. Bryzgalov, the $54-million (all currency U.S.) free-agent Flyer goalie, is the star as he contemplates the cosmos (“the solar system is so humongous big”) and explains the price of hunting tigers in China.

Sean Avery is … Sean Avery. Enigmatic.

Rangers coach John Tortorella simmers like Michael Corleone.

Even though the camera presence tilts reality, it doesn’t destroy. HBO’s cameras catch Giroux, the breakout player of the year in the NHL, getting clipped in the back of his head by the knee of teammate Wayne Simmonds. Under the stands, Giroux undergoes the concussion protocol, then we see the exasperation on coach Peter Laviolette’s face as Giroux tells him that all is not well. We hear Simmonds explain how his inadvertent blow happened. It amounts to fantastic insight on a Page 1 issue about the sport.

There’s also the sequence showing Ranger Anisimov performing his Call of Duty goal celebration, referee Chris Rooney’s reaction (“to skate from the net all the way to the blueline doing that is not kosher”), the schoolboy giggles of his teammates as they file into the dressing room, and the predictable blast from Tortorella (“we have our work cut out for us because of our own stupidity”). Finally, Anisimov apologizes to the team.

It takes a little luck to be in the right place, and the 24/7 producers had the good fortune to be on hand at just the moment of Giroux’s injury and Anisimov’s brain lock. But it takes hustle to find Callahan’s nonagenarian grandmother vowing to set the referees straight. Or to have former Los Angeles King Simmonds explaining why his former team is changing coaches this week.

Quibbles? Just wonder when the producers might mention former Ranger Derek Boogaard, whose death and autopsy have capsized the NHL the past five months. And yes, Dorothy, there’s plenty of swearing. Ranger Michael Del Zotto crashes into the boards and says, “[Expletive], am I bleeding?”

Like The Sopranos, music is a keystone to the 24/7 plot lines. So the Rangers open to the searing urban chords of The Black Keys’ Lonely Boy, while the free-spending Flyers get Fitz and The Tantrums doing Money Grabber. Later we discover that the Flyers celebrate wins by breaking down to the infectious Knock Knock by Mac Miller. And can we get narrator Liev Schreiber to hand out the Stanley Cup instead of the commissioner, please? Somewhere in heaven John Facenda is jealous.

Next episode: Not to tell HBO its business but if it doesn’t do the Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks for next year’s 24/7, it’s insane. Wednesday’s Dave Bolland snipe at the Sedins, followed by the quiet rage of Canucks coach Alain Vigneault saying the Hawks’ forward had a face only a mother could love … it just writes itself. Get these teams to play each other in a fenced-in rink at Cabrini Green in Chi-town. Please.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Pressure nothing new for Don Hay

JAMES CHRISTIE, Globe and Mail, Dec. 15, 2011

Silver is the colour of disappointment in the world championships of junior hockey.

That’s the kind of pressure that sits on the neck of the team’s head coach Don Hay. The national junior squad went to the gold medal game the last two tournaments and came up short – last time yielding five third-period goals to Russia to lose gold.

It’s up to Hay – a four-time Memorial Cup winner, sometime NHL coach in Phoenix and Calgary and head coach of the Vancouver Giants – to call the signals that restore the post-Christmas championship for Canada. To go three junior tournaments without a gold would set off alarm bells in this country.

The task is onerous, but he can handle the demands of the job. Hay is a teacher, a motivator – and he’s won more than 500 junior games. Hay was the national junior coach before, in 1995. That was a year the NHL was in a lockout and all the country’s hockey focus was the juniors and on Hay. He knows the country expects a gold medal out of a team of teenagers. He knows the importance of this tournament in Canada. While the world junior tournament, to be played in Calgary and Edmonton, isn’t a huge seller in most markets in the world, in Canada it’s a crucible.

High expectations aren’t negatives, Hay says. “It means people think you have a chance to win.”

He’s been thinking like a strategist, not a talent evaluator, since he was appointed last May. The last 13 cuts were made from training camp this week as Hay sought out 22 players who would mould together as Canada’s best team . They’re not only goal scorers but those who would play roles and be flexible enough to take unfamiliar positions in the event of injuries. Hay also expects the team to affix the Canadian brand to its game – fast and physical.

The goalie who went in as backup last year, Niagara Falls Ice Dog Mark Visentin, has played his way into a role as Hay’s probable starter. It’s as much character as ability. He showed tremendous maturity in facing questions after last winter’s third-period collapse handed the gold to the Russians.

“I’ve lived the moment. I can’t go back and change it,” Visentin says. He’s not afraid to talk about what happened. It’s part of his history. But he can also point to the fact that the meltdown was an aberration. He was, in fact, the OHL’s best goalie with a 30-9-6 record, a 2,52 goals against average and .917 save percentage.

It’s not just the kids who are expected to perform, but the coach.

“I really feel this is a time for me to step back in,” Hay says. “It’s an honour for me. I’m a better coach now. I’m more experienced. I’ve seen different situations. I realize the importance of the tournament to everyone in Canada.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 22 of 45