Topic Review
By: Likes:

Davis Weisner, Calgary teen at centre of health-care controversy, dies of cancer

By Deborah Tetley, Calgary Herald March 30, 2011

CALGARY — Fifteen-year-old Davis Weisner wasn’t afraid of dying.

After battling cancer for five years — a clash punctuated by thrilling highs and excruciating lows — he was ready for anything.

But in the days leading up to his death over the weekend from neuroblastoma, Davis floored his mother when he said he was afraid of one thing, however.

“He was worried he would be forgotten,” said Janine Weisner, Davis’ mother. “He didn’t want us or anyone to forget about him.

“If only he knew how much he’ll be remembered, and has been the past few days,” she said with a sigh.

Since Davis died at the Alberta Children’s Hospital on Saturday morning, the Weisner family has been overwhelmed by support, concern, gifts and offers of help from the community, friends, family, neighbours, the hospital staff and strangers.

“He has had such an impact on so many and he never realized that,” Janine said Tuesday. “I am proud of everything about him.”

Davis was just 10 years old when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2006, which was already at Stage 4.

Although he’d been feeling sick for several months, it wasn’t until he ended up in a wheelchair during a surprise family vacation to Disneyland that his family realized the aching in his legs was more than growing pains.

Just weeks into his chemotherapy treatments, Davis and his family found themselves at the centre of a major health-care controversy when the boy was turned away from the children’s hospital due to a shortage of oncology beds.

In the ensuing days it was revealed that other children were turned away, as well, amid a sudden surge in childhood cancer cases. Beds were added to the hosital in an attempt to ease the crunch.

About a year later, after rounds of radiation, chemotherapy and two bone marrow transplants, Davis was in remission; strong, healthy and happy for about 17 months, his mother said.

Then, the cancer came back. The family was devastated.

“When you relapse with neuroblastoma there isn’t much hope,” Janine said, “but Davis never gave up; even in the last few months he showed so much courage.”

She recalled a cancer-related speaking engagement he’d committed to, but as the day approached he became self-conscious. He was quite ill, puffy from steroids and had developed a droop in his mouth that affected his speech. Organizers told him it was OK to take a pass.

“But he didn’t,” said Janine. “That was the most courage I had ever seen, He was brave, just like he was the whole time. He knew this was his fate, but he battled in so many ways.”

Last month the Grade 10 student at Lester B. Pearson High School rallied again when it was announced that he was joining 14 other teens to take part in a humanitarian project to build houses in Mexico.

No one who knew Davis was surprised, as he was often admired for his kind heart.

But as the day approached for Davis to leave, he was too sick to make the journey.

His younger sister, 13-year-old Jessie, went in his place.

He was proud of his sister, his mother said.

The family is expecting hundreds of supporters to fill the Pineridge Community Centre on Saturday, for a celebration of his life, which the teen had a hand in planning.

“He wants it to be a party, not a funeral,” said his mother, adding her son was a huge Flames fan, who counted Matt Stajan and former Flame Dion Phaneuf as among his friends.

“So, we’re wearing our Flames jerseys — maybe I will wear his — and we will have his giant Flames flag and we’re celebrating.”
-----

Although this is a sad story, it is also inspiring. This young man had incredible courage and touched many people. Some of the comments posted below this story were awesome:

Joe Albertan

12:50 PM on March 30, 2011

It's things like this that bring everything into perspective about what's important.
-----

Just My Thoughts

9:47 AM on March 30, 2011

I was not fortunate enough to know Davis, and I don't know the Weisner family. I would only hope that I would be as brave, compassionate and giving as this young man was, if I ever get sick. The Weisner's are in my thoughts, you did amazing by Davis.
-----

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Davis+
Weisner+Calgary+teen+centre+health+care+controversy
+dies+cancer/4525040/story.html

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Rosetown Redwings on 31-0 roll

SHA senior squad can post perfect season with one more win

By Darren Zary, The StarPhoenix March 23, 2011

Win and they're in elite company. Win their next one and the Rosetown Redwings will close out a rare perfect season in Saskatchewan's senior hockey ranks.

Currently 31-0 for the season, the Redwings keep rolling along as they head to Shaunavon on Saturday for Game 2 of their best-of-three Saskatchewan Hockey Association provincial senior B championship final at 6 p.m. A third game, if necessary, would be played back in Rosetown on Sunday at 1 p.m., but, of course the Rosetown crew would prefer the dream ending.

"So far, so good," says Jason Ediger, head coach of the Sask Valley Hockey League champion Redwings.

"One more game yet."

The Wings' lineup features former Kelowna Rocket star goalie Kelly Guard, who spent three seasons in the NHL's Ottawa Senators system, including two in the American Hockey League. Up front, Rosetown has a mix of Western Hockey League, Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, Canadian Interuniversity Sport and NCCA grads, some with minor pro experience in the AHL and ECHL ranks.

Among them are Casey Lee, Kirk Pearce, Rory McMahon, Jared Jagow, Denny Johnston and Keegan McAvoy.

"It's pretty cool," said McAvoy. "It's kind of like the whole town is rallying behind the team, taking the logo of our team and stuff -it's all over town. It hasn't been like this here since back in the '70s is when Rosetown used to be seriously good. Rosetown had seen a lot of success in the '70s with its senior hockey, but it had been rather off the map since then."

Until now. "There is a huge buzz around town with the success Rosetown has been having with their hockey this year," noted McAvoy. "The midgets just won the provincial B title last weekend to a full house in the old Rosetown barn and now the whole community is rallying behind the senior team to do the same, bring back some memories of the teams from the winning '70s Wings."

McAvoy, Guard and Endicott are team imports. Among the blue-liners are Derek Endicott, Kevin Aylward, Justin Holmes and Boyd Kampen. Rounding out the squad are local veterans Heath Pearce, Wilson Johnston, Matt Speir, Carter and Tyler Gilchrist and Greg Moore along with Lee Stevens, Matt Kahovec, Kevin Clark and Craig Wagar.

The Redwings were 18-0 during the regular season in the Sask Valley league regular season before racking up eight straight wins in the playoffs to capture the league title in three straight over the Kyle Elks.

In provincial playoffs, they're 5-0. "It is rare and it is surprising," said Ediger. "We never once figured we'd be looking at a perfect season. It never crossed our minds. Our main goal, at the start of the season, was to win league and provincials. We've accomplished the league and now we have our sights set on provincials. If it does come, the perfect season would definitely be icing on the cake."

THAT '70S SHOW

All this for a town which hasn't tasted senior hockey glory for quite some time. Rosetown was once the toast of the senior hockey ranks way back in the '70s. Indeed, the Redwings were Hardy Cup finalists in 1970, 1971 and 1972 -national runner-up each year.

"Rosetown, in the late '70s, was the team in Canada," noted Ediger. "It was the era of the Moores, including Alan Moore."

Dwayne Endicott was an import for that team in the mid-'70s. Four decades later, his son, Derek, is playing for Rosetown, which defeated the Shaunavon Badgers 6-2 in Game 1 of the provincial B final before a packed house of about 1,400 fans.

Shaunavon's squad is Team Hunter. J.J. Hunter, a former Kelowna Rocket and P.A. Raider, played seven seasons of pro hockey in the AHL and ECHL. Luke Hunter, a former WHL Swift Current Bronco, played in the CHL, as did former Melville Millionaire Dustin Hunter. Brock Hunter and Ty Hunter also play for Shaunavon.

"Senior hockey is obviously very prominent here in Sask.," offered McAvoy, who played professionally in China. "There are at least (13) different leagues around the province that are well supported.

"People have been trying to dig up if any (senior) team has ever gone undefeated, but haven't found anything yet to prove it has happened. There is also a lot of buzz about the Allan Cup being played in Saskatchewan next year and Rosetown representing the province at that tournament."

No venue has been announced, although, once again, Lloydminster is a possibility.

"There has been a lot of speculation about our team taking a run at the Allan Cup (in 2012) and, at this time, it's probably the direction we'll be heading," admitted Ediger. "We've still got some things to figure out and I think we've got until September to pay that bond. Ultimately, that's the direction we're focused.

"There isn't a whole lot of coaching involved. We talked, at the beginning of the year that everybody's going to have a role. Everybody's bought into that and everybody's getting along unreal in the dressing room. We go out and do our jobs."

Balgonie and Maidstone are playing in this year's provincial senior A final.

"Everybody's talking about how the A-winner and B-winner should go at it, to see what's really going on," said McAvoy.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I was part of this era... Al vs. Bob & Kelly. Some crazy stuff! Sad to see another 'old' rink with lots of history get retired, but it was bloody cold. No doubt the new one will be much nicer (and warmer for the coaching staff!)

Al is a pro scout for Florida now. Not sure what happened to Bobby Lowes. I think I heard he 'retired' from coaching and got a day job in sales?

-----

Thursday, March 17, 2011 Gregg Drinnan Blog

Thursday . . .

The place to be tonight is Moose Jaw where the Warriors and Brandon Wheat Kings will play the final regular-season game in the history of the Civic Centre (aka the Crushed Can).

Mark MacKay, the Warriors captain in 1984-85 when he became the only 20-year-old player in WHL history to be named rookie of the year, will drop the puck for the ceremonial opening faceoff.

Kelly McCrimmon, the owner, GM and head coach of the Wheat Kings, has more than his share of Crushed Can memories.
He shared this with Rob Henderson of the Brandon Sun:

“The Bob Lowes era versus the Al Tuer era where for whatever reason we seemed to have their number over a five-, six-year period, they maybe beat us three or four times and yet we never, ever beat them easily. It was just that kind of a series that we had going.

“We’ve had good playoff rivalries with them. We had Theran Yeo get attacked by their crowd, we had Bill Aulie (the father of former Wheat Kings D Keith Aulie) in the middle of a melee. There’s lots of things that happened in Moose Jaw over the years. Bobby (Lowes) and I both got suspended there for running on the ice when we caught them cheating one night. There’s been lots of funny stories coming out of Moose Jaw.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I went to the Heritage Classic game on Feb. 20th with my son. It was about -25 C (about -12 F) which isn't toooo bad but there was a wind which makes it way colder.

The video was just before the game. They showed interviews with players on the big screen and then had a lot of fireworks and music as the players skated onto the ice.
It was chilly but a lot of fun.

http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20110306075807835

"it's the cursed cold and it's got right hold till I'm chilled clean through to the bone;... yet ain't being dead tis my awful dread of the icy grave that pains, so I want you to swear, that foul or fair, you'll cremate my last remains."
Sam Magee

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Drunks try to free trapped car with stolen Zamboni

By NADIA MOHARIB, Calgary Sun February 17, 2011

Their car stuck in the slush, two apparently drunk men Thursday committed the most Canadian of crimes — they tried to steal a Zamboni to extricate themselves.

Unfortunately, for the seemingly sloshed suspects, before the pair could free their car which was stuck behind East Calgary Twin Arenas — they were arrested by police.

Ross Harris, operations manager of the arena on Erin Woods Dr. S.E., said he was working in an office at the facility when he noticed the Zamboni on the move.

“I happened to see the Zamboni going outside on the camera system,” he said.

“I really wondered what was going on.”

He soon learned at least one of two men had walked into the building and broken into the garage area where the ice-grooming machine was parked.

When he got outside, the pair — with one driving the machine — was trying to push the car free of an icy stretch of pavement.

They seemed utterly unapologetic about their actions, instead asking Harris if he had a truck or tow rope to help them free their car.

While the Zamboni is four-wheel drive, it is not meant to go up hills or hit pavement.

At one point, the man driving the machine stepped to the ground and it rolled backwards with Harris forced to jump into the driver’s seat just in time to steer it clear of the building.

Telling them he was going inside to get a shovel, he told co-workers to summon police for two tipsy strangers having trouble navigating winter roads.

About five minutes later, police were there and had the pair in custody.

Sgt. Kelly Oberg said the case is certainly unique and alcohol appears to be a factor.

“This is my first stolen Zamboni,” he said.

Charges, including theft of a vehicle, break-and-enter, mischief and impaired driving, are pending against two men in their 30s.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kai,

I spoke to Tom last night. He is heading over May 27 and back May 3, unless he stays longer to help out at a Czech hockey camp. Now I am trying to look at the costs, logistics. Might go over May 2 after our annual trip to Spokane WA so I can at least attend the 'regular' clinic that weekend. I will let you know once I know. Unfortunately, we might not get a chance to make a beer picture with the three of us on this trip... might have to photoshop it!
--------------------------
Dean, Juuso wants me to visit him in Turku; so I will probably go to Finland for about 3 days as well. You could go Helsinki, Vienna, conference, home. He can sleep 2 in his sauna.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

All right, I'm going to Youth Symposium. I'll arrive to Vienna at morning of 29th and try to figure out some transportation to Bratislava (buss or train I guess). Going back home on 2nd of may.

Kai

Renney goes on trip despite father's death

By Mario Annicchiarico, Edmonton Journal February 4, 2011

Edmonton Oilers head coach Tom Renney remained at work on Thursday and was scheduled to fly out with the team in the afternoon on its three-game road trip that begins today in St. Louis and continues through to Columbus and Nashville.

Renney's father, Joe, died late Tuesday night in Cranbrook, B.C., and the Oilers' bench boss remained at work, running the team during its 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday night.

On Thursday he did not participate on the ice, instead watching from the stands atop the Black Gold Arena in Leduc, prior to the team's afternoon departure.

"Tom is coming on the trip," said assistant coach Ralph Krueger.

"Everything is business as usual at the moment, his family hasn't made final plans yet for a memorial or a funeral and those will be following in the next few days, but at the moment Tom is on board and running the ship as usual."

Asked how the organization was coping with the loss, Krueger said the entire group was maintaining a professional attitude at a difficult time and supporting their head coach.

"It's a reality of life," said Krueger. "He finds out bad news in late hours and the next night you're behind the bench coaching again.

"He spoke a lot to the team about his father Joe. He was very proud of what he had done in his life, about his values and principles, and that's been part of his conversations since the fall.

"I think that's very important, that the team understands what a great man Tom's father was and what that meant to Tom. It brings back the reality of how much we should enjoy our situation here," added Krueger. "We're alive, we're all playing a game we love. It's the best game on the planet. As much pain as there is for everybody, especially for Tom above all, it's also the lessons you get in these kinds of times. To enjoy the day, work hard in the day and be very grateful for working in a profession we all want to be in. That's the main message that's coming into the group right now."

Renney did not address the media Thursday, but did speak to his players.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
-----

My thoughts go out to Tom and his family. I coached with him in the early 1990's with the National Team program. Truly one of the best men I have ever coached with.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

sad

Try I'm trying to make it to youth syposium but it's not sure yet

Kai

Tom,

Please keep me in the loop regarding which clinic you decide on and if you are heading to the Czech Republic. I am considering going this year. Not sure for which one. Usually, we are in Spokane for Bloomsday (first Sunday in May) and if so, this would mean I would miss the youth conference. Might take the wife and kids to make this a working holiday for two weeks.

Brataslava is only 46 km from Vienna and it is about $50 cheaper to fly there than Prague. Brataslava cost about $500 more to fly direct. You should try to rent an apartment or house if you are taking the fam. This morning I was thinking that you and I should offer an ABC clinic in Calgary this June. Have it Fri-Sun. in June and include on-off ice and classroom plus a night at the Ranchman's.

Theme would be how to run a practice for each of the 4 Game Playing Roles using the A-B-C-D-E drills, games and transition games.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Just offered my kid's the tickets to the Flames on Wed. and Fri. as I am coaching both nights.

I looked at the symposium in Slovakia at the IIHF men's championship. the youth one is April 30 may 1 a Sat and Sunday and the speakers are almost the same as the Advanced one the next Fri - Sun. You get 4 tickets to games at the youth one and for 365 Euros which is about $500 you get hotel with a breakfast. 40 Euros for extra nights in one of the sports hotels.

Flights from Calgary at that time are about $1200 to Prague. I haven't checked Brataslava prices.

I think I am going to go to the youth conference. Whether to leave a few days early or stay a few days later is what I am deciding. I am waiting to hear from Jihlava if they want a coaching clinic still. If so it will change things.

If other coaches are considering going let me know and we can get together to discuss some hockey topics over a few pops.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

The Russians Are Coming!

Actually, they were here and now they have left...

I watched the third period of the Russians (Severstal) play Tisdale Trojans (Saskatchewan) at the Mac's Tournament.

http://www.macstournament.ab.ca/tournament_11.html

This was the only game the Russians won out of four round robin games (score was 8-4.) The other three games, the opposition teams apparently really laid the body on them to minimize their time and space. Those games were played in the Max Bell arena - it is at least NHL size (maybe slightly bigger). The game I watched was on true International size at Father David Bauer (200' L x 100' w). So maybe this helped lead to their only victory (plus their opponent ended up winless in their pool.)

Pool 2 GP W L T GF GA PTS
Leduc Chrysler Oil Kings 5 3 2 0 6 19 13
Calgary Royals 4 3 1 0 6 8 8
Greater Vancouver Canadians 5 3 2 0 6 18 21
Russia HC Severstal 4 1 3 0 2 20 21
Tisdale Trojans 4 0 4 0 0 10 19

(The teams that played more than four games had moved onto the playoff rounds.)

What I saw of the Russians:

(1) Still most players shoot left-handed. I only saw four kids who shot right.

(2) They weren't all excellent skaters - which surprised me. Most were above average.

(3) Couldn't really judge their size as I was up top. Last time they were almost all over 6' tall. They didn't look any bigger / smaller than their opponents.

(4) Their stick skills (with and without the puck - offense and defense) were excellent! Great passers (direct / to space / indirect / redirect) and receivers (stick / feet) and deflectors (when in front of the net.) Their eye-hand coordination was excellent.

(5) Excellent puck possession skills (toe drags, quick hands, puck protection, turn backs, open men supporting puck carrier multiple times and always ready to receive - lots of give and go's, use of space (width and depth)).

(6) Above average shooting ability - deceptive, heavy, accurate shots with minimal telegraphing. They were usually in the "triple threat" position (pass / shoot / deke) with the puck when they entered the offensive zone... and often whenever they had the puck.

(7) They shied away from a lot of checks (when they had the puck) and they got caught in the cross hairs several times. It's not that they seemed to have their heads down - they just didn't seem used to the amount of hits / style of physical play. They did try to make bodychecks on their opponents, but not often. Looks like they are used to more of a flowing, freewheeling type game, which makes sense based on where they are from.

(8) Both teams took liberties(stick infractions). Lots of penalties. I am guessing the Russians were frustrated by all the body checking and Tisdale was frustrated they they hadn't won a game. Even short-handed, the Russians scored and made Tisdale look disorganized on the PP. The Russians played keep away, spread out all over the ice, and only dumped it when they had no other option / got tired and needed a change. The Russian PP really moves the puck around well.

Regretfully, I couldn't shoot any video as the safety netting (to protect us dumb fans from the puck when we are knitting / talking instead of watching the play!) causes the camera to focus on it in the foreground - the action is blurred in the background.

Based on my memory of a few years ago, this Russian team was not as tall / big / heavy; not as good of skaters; not quite as skilled - as their predecessors. And the team from a few years ago coped with the physicality of play much better - giving and receiving. Their team speed was better too. (I saw them play on the International ice last time too.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Don Cherry wishes he had a goalie who could stop pucks when he was in Colorado! Hardy Astrom wasn't the ticket!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Happy New Year to everybody. I wish you good health and happiness. (and a goalie who can stop pucks)

I know you can't run the videos on the Ipad or other apple products. My son tells me the gom player can be uploaded and runs almost every format including the wmv files that I post the videos with http://gomplayer.com is where u get a free download. Someone with an apple let me know if it works.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Just watched the Swedish U20 team beat Canada in a shootout. They deserved the win and dominated the first half of the game. The last 30 min. was about even.
Swedes have great individual puck skills and offensive team play skills. They won most of the battles on the boards as well.

Incredible stick handlers.. Canda has a great pplay and Schenn is terrific.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

I drove back from Jasper last night with my son, Jim. The camp went well and was sponsored by their minor hockey association.

There were 3 groups. 5 to 9 year olds, 10-12 and 13-17. The oldest group was mostly girls who play in Jasper with 3 to 5 boy's. There were zero goalies in the camp so we used 4 small nets that their association got from Arizona Sports. So I didn't have to bring my nets, though I always carry two in my van.

They were in two groups for one hour of skating in the morning with Gaston and then had hockey with Jim and I after that.

With the little guys we focused on puck handling and passing skills and doing these skills within game situations. We spent about 20 minutes the last practice on shooting skills. I wish we had light pucks so the little guys and girls were strong enough to do a wrist shot.

The middle group we did a little more advanced puck handling and played games where certain skills were required. Jim also taught them tricks like picking up the puck various ways, picking it and shooting, or picking it and playing around the body with it and various trick shots. It is surprising how many of these players learned to do some of the stick tricks. We added snap passes, backhands and saucer passes as well. The third day we did a checking practice because they want to hit but don't know how. We did lots of games that required them to get open and to see the ice. i.e. everyone must touch the puck before a goal, two pass, 2 seconds with the puck, full ice but at least one pass in each zone, escape move before passing, 3 strides before a pass or shot, etc. The first day focused on puck handling so we played some puck handling games such as 1 vs 1 vs 1 and another game where only one pass is allowed and then you must score and a full ice game where you must gain a zone before you can pass and only one pass is allowed in the offensive zone.

With the oldest group we focused on puck handling the first day and did similar games. Every group did full ice with at least one pass in each zone as well. Day 2 we did more advanced passing and some transition games that focused on playing all 4 playing roles and not just on the puck. The coach wanted me to help them with defensive zone coverage since 80% of that group was girl's from his team. We did that and on day 3 went through the Murdoch breakout sequences and played one zone and full ice trainsition games where they had to use the breakouts and do proper Dzone coverage in their end. The last two sessions with this group were more like a team practice than a clinic.

We got positive feedback from the players and parents and are invited back next July.

Gaston is from Switzerland and there is a fancy Swiss restaurant there that requires reservations and at least two hours to enjoy your meal. We had the full meal deal with wine, appetizers, main course, digestive drinks, special coffee and dessert. Very good and very expensive but well worth it. http://andysbistro.com/

Great experience in a beautiful Rocky Mountain resort town.
http://www.jasper.travel/

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Merry Christmas guys!

Kai - nice hat! Only -10C here this morning but supposed to creep above 0C for Christmas day. Might have to hit the outdoor rink in my neighbours yard with my boy! I bought him skates a few weeks ago. He is just learning to stand on them.

Tom - love the new avatar. Makes me thirsty... for a Steigl... and sunshine with a nice backdrop!

Dave - enjoy the game but I hope you enjoy the beer more!

All the best to you guys. I plan to go watch the Russian Midget team during the Mac's tourney. I watched them a few years ago - amazing size, skill and game sense. I might even try to video some of it...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Happy Holidays Guys...

No hockey games for the next week or two.....off to see a San Jose Sharks game (vs the LA Kings) the day after Christmas....no loyalty to either team, just excited to have the opportunity.

Speaking of opportunities, I'll do my best to have one of these for each of you while I'm down there:
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/libertyale.htm ....or maybe one of these: http://www.rogue.com/beers/northwestern-ale.php Thanks for all the insight this year, and best wishes in the new one. Tom, thanks for all the work!

Dave

---------------------------
Dave enjoy yourself in San Jose. The beer sounds good. I just put a new avatar on where I am having a Steigl beer at the restaurant on top of the fortress overlooking Salzburg.

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

It's nice and chilly here (-27C).

Kai

Tom,

Ditto... We have all been sick here for 1.5 weeks and now I am behind in my coach evaluations and contract work for Hockey Canada. Gotta try to get stuff done before Christmas break (not to mention shop, play "dad", etc.) so I will be mainly a spectator until close to the new year. If you want to take a break from posting the daily drills yourself, don't sweat it! We all appreciate the contributions you make and EVEN YOU deserve some time off, Coachy!!!! Wink

Merry Christmas everyone!

---------------------------
Dean,
The board was totally quiet about 4 days. I will continue to do one a day when I have time. Have that camp in Jasper 27-29. With Christmas on Saturday a lot of my hockey is cancelled. Today was the last Friday noon hockey for three weeks and Sunday will be our last for a few weeks as well. I don't know about our Mon and Wed. Next week will be ok I am sure. My team has one more practice until the first week of Jan. Most players are gone so we won't have many there. Last wed. 5 skater and one goalie. Can't do much. I brought my grandson and he skated and loved it. Student vs staff game on Tues. morning with my skills class then they are done on Wed. My son came back from Toronto for Christmas and will be here about 17 days. Nice to have him home.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Tom,

I can only speak for myself, but I think it's just a busy time of year........a few more days of work and a few games this weekend and then I'll have more time to read & post. The videos are really useful and the work is appreciated.

Dave
----------------------------
I am sure your right Dave. Thanks for the nice comments.

Guess I shouldn't have posted so much. The discussions have really dried up. I still spend two hours each morning breaking down practice videos and doing the diagrams; so every day there is something new on the drill front.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

I was at the world's with my asst. coach Tracey and TJ, Terry Johnson, an ex NHLer who I have coached a lot with. We watched the Can-USA game, went out with some of the Canada players and then took a train back at 2 a.m. to Vienna to listen to Scotty Bowman speak at 9 in the morning.

Addition Dec. 21.

I called Dany H. to make sure we could get into the game in Innsbruck and he thought there would be no problem. TJ, Tracey and I got there and it was sold out. The Canda coaches let us use their id's so we could get in. I have a pick of the 3 passes. We got into the game and sat by the bench then waited for Dany to ride the bike and went to a beer garden.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Trying to change my picture to one from Innsbruck while I was at the 2005 World Championships. Maybe a coach out there can resize it for me. I am not having luck.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

In a motel room waiting for the sun to rise so I don't have to drive icy roads in the dark. I haven't been in Lacombe since I played Little League baseball here when I was 12. They had a huge tournament every year and teams from all over came.

We played last night in a town down the road called Ponoka. I played Jr. A in the AJHL there in 1967. I ended there in a round about way.

After high school I went into the seminary and studied Philosophy intending to be a priest. i was in one year and didn't go back the next year. That year I tried out for a Jr. A and a Jr. B team and made them both. Both teams played the university team that was in it's beginning seasons. The Jr. A team lost and the jr. B team won. I decided to play for the Jr. B team. I thought the players were nicer. I was in the top three in the league scoring when I broke my collar bone really badly fooling around with a little kid's stick. I deked a tall guy and when he tripped his elbow came down on the collarbone and gave a bad green stick break. It is still tender now. I missed most of the year but skated a lot taking care of 2 outdoor hockey and one pleasure rink. Scrapped and flooded them every day for about 3 months. I think this really made me a good skater because it forces you into the ideal skating position.

That summer I decided to go back to the seminary and was working cutting greens at a golf course. So 6 hours a day I was walking at a really fast pace behind a power mower. I went to the arena to play shinny with my friends but instead a Jr. A team had a training camp going on. The guy told me I could try out if I wanted.

I was using Eddie Shacks stick autographed by the 67 Maple Leafs. My sister was their stewardess for the entire Stanley Cup playoffs and got me that stick and an autographed air sickness bag. (I lost the stick when we moved but still have the bag which I have framed).

Anyway I was relaxed with no intention of playing for them; just wanting ice time. I was in incredible shape and led the camp in scoring. They wanted me to sign but I said I was returning to the seminary.

I went back to the seminary and returned to my philosophy studies but decided the unmarried life wouldn't be good for me and left in late November. Some of my friend were playing for the Calgary Centennials in the Western Canada Hockey League (now WHL) so I asked for a tryout. It went pretty well and Cec Papke the coach told me to come to the office to sign. they were playing Flin Flon that night (Bobby Clark, Reggie Leach). I filled out the card and Cec looked at it and was surprised. He said "Tom it says you just turned 20. I thought you were 18 and had two years after this. I can't sign you; we are in last place and trying to build for next year." So that was that and I called Ponoka and went there to play Jr. A.

The team payed the room and board and were supposed to give us weekly spending money. I had no money. I couldn't even buy a bottle of pop or get a hair cut. The owner would tell us before every game that if we won we would get our money. Of course it was bs and I never saw a cent. We played vs Calgary and two of their players were pummeling my linemate so I had to jump in to even the numbers. A brawl started. That was the last game before Christmas and we got a few days off.

I went home and my parents drove me the 2.5 hours in -40 weather back for an ex game on New Years Day. They hadn't seen me play since we won the midget provincials. I was getting dressed and the coach came up to me and said. "Tom I forgot to phone and tell you that you are suspended this game. They say you started the brawl vs Calgary. I was a little POed and asked for my release. I returned to Calgary and finished the season with them and went to school at MRC. I started playing for the college team as well but when they found out I was also playing Jr. A I had to chose and stayed Jr. (I am in the college team picture for that season) The next year I went to Bemidji.

To regress with a story about when I went out for the Centennials

I sat in the dressing room and all of a suddent the players jumped one of the guys who had just made the team and held him on the training table. They tied a string around the end of his manhood and held it tight while they shaved him and then put a muscle rub solution on the newly shaved area to give a big burn. When they let him go he went beserk and bodies were flying all over. It was Brian "Spinny" Spencer. He played in the NHL for a long time. The first game he played for Toronto his dad went to the CBC station who were broadcasting Vancouver instead of Toronto to get them to switch telecasts. Unfortunatley he had a rifle with him and was killed by the mounties. Brian ended up murdered as well by the mob after his career. ( it was quite a shock to go from wearing a cassock and collar one day to this situation a few days later.)

So anyway these are the hockey memories that coming back to places like this bring up. It is light out now so I will head home.

'Enjoy the Game'
Admin

Yes I met Tom at International Coaches Conference 2007 in Vierumäki. It was a lot of fun and it was really interesting to meet people from different hockey cultures.

Kai

LupeBalsiger likes this.

Kai,

Thanks for the Daniel Coyle articles. Always a great read!! Keep them coming! Kai you should send me an email through this site so we can keep in touch.

Hockey Canada is going to host another International Coaches Conference this year. Not sure exactly when or where, but I will post it for you and other interested parties. (There is also the coaching conference put on in conjunction at the World Championships - I believe in Slovakia?) Once I know the dates / place, I can figure out the cost and see if I can go. Maybe a few of us can meet up? It would be awesome to meet some of the guys on here in person to share ideas. I know Tom tries to go to the World Championships and the clinic whenever he can (Tom said he met you at the clinic in Finland some years ago.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Just watched "Funniest Joke in the World"... as soon as I started, I remembered it. Pretty bloody funny! Awesome link - that guy has downloaded much of the entire Monty Python series! Good contribution Kai!! Thanks!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

My favourite is "The Funniest Joke In The World" and yes "Mr. Hilter" is one of my favourites too. Faulty Towers is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM&feature=fvsr

Kai

Kai,

That is a great label! I bought one here in Calgary a few years ago for the specific purpose of adding it to my beer shrine! I love Monty Python! Brilliant comedy. Two of my favourites involve "The Upper Class Twit of the Year Competition" and a skit where "Mr. Hilter" (not Hitler!) and his Nazi cronies are pouring over maps of England, planning an invasion, while sitting in an English pub / hotel; trying hard to not attract attention to themselves. Hilarious! Also love Faulty Towers series with John Cleese. Ever watch those?

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

giggly