1339 posts :: Page 36 of 45
By: Likes:

Red Fisher: Jean Béliveau has "always been in a class by himself"

Ailing Jean Beliveau won the love and respect of Canadiens fans, teammates and opponents with his magical play and charitable work off the ice. He never forced himself on anyone, but everyone knew he was always there to help

By Red Fisher, The Gazette, February 29, 2012

MONTREAL - The golden years have not been kind to the legendary Jean Béliveau, who is undergoing “active investigation and treatments” at the Montreal General Hospital after suffering a stroke on Monday night.

Béliveau has been struck with an alarming number of health issues since retiring as a player following the Canadiens’ Stanley Cup victory in 1970-71.

There were cardiac problems in the mid-1990s. And in 2000, all of us were saddened to learn he would start radiation treatments for a malignant tumour doctors had discovered in his neck. This man, loved and admired by so many, who won so many battles on the ice in his 18-season career, took on his biggest one with greater resolve and courage than any game he ever played.

“I rely totally on the expertise of my doctors,” he wrote in a statement. “I intend to follow their instructions and recommendations to the letter. I feel good and I fully intend on winning this next battle.”

He won it, against all odds. He handled the radiation, although for a long while, he lost his sense of taste. He carried a bottle of spring water with him all day to ease the terrible discomfort of dry mouth, a condition that still exists. However, all through it he was still the smiling giant of a man, available to people of all ages and languages and colours.

His ability to charm others has never left him through good and bad times, because he is, after all, Jean Béliveau.

In June of last year, he underwent a preventive surgical procedure to repair abdominal aneurysms and required several months to recover.

Last week, he entered hospital with a severe nosebleed that finally was corrected after three days of treatment. Now this.

“He’s been going through a lot,” former teammate Dickie Moore was saying on Tuesday.

“It’s so sad. After all of the things he’s done over the years, after all of the charity affairs he’s attended … the money he’s raised for kids, Jean should be enjoying life,” Moore said of Béliveau, who celebrated his 80th birthday last August.

Béliveau and Moore were fierce rivals in junior hockey, but have been the closest of friends since their Canadiens days.

“When you talk about the great players, the superstars who’ve played for the Canadiens,” Moore said, “he’s right up there with the very best. As an individual, he’s always been in a class by himself. As an individual, on and off the ice, nobody comes close.”

Everyone who was there will never forget the night Béliveau was the guest of honour at a Bell Centre black-tie affair where $1 million was raised for six institutions: The Montreal Children’s Hospital, Ste. Justine Hospital, the Society for Handicapped Children, the Shriners and children’s hospitals in Quebec and Sherbrooke.

All of it for the kids.

Numbers and individual achievements don’t begin to describe what Béliveau has meant to the Canadiens organization, to people everywhere. Eighteen seasons with the Canadiens, his last 10 as captain; 10 Stanley Cups; two Hart trophies, one Conn Smythe; 507 goals and 712 assists in 1,125 games; 176 points in 162 playoff games. Stunning numbers, but they pale in comparison alongside the love and respect other players, old and new, and the people … his people … have for him and he for them.

“You know, when people are good, it makes me feel good to give back,” he would tell you. “People always have been good to me.”

This good man has been special in so many ways. Everything that is Béliveau comes from within. He truly cares about people, and that care always has been returned to him by people in all walks of life.

The same applies to the players he faced during his career. Opponents always played hard against him, but their respect for him and he for them was always there – and remains so to this day.

The same applies for hockey people at every level. Who but Béliveau could have been named captain of Team Canada at the Vancouver Olympics? A health issue prevented him from attending the Games, but eventually he was presented with the same ring players received for winning the gold at a sold-out charity dinner in Montreal

Béliveau, the player, was more than a captain: he was a father figure in many ways. If a player had a problem on the ice, Béliveau was only a stick-length away. If there were personal problems that needed attention, he was available. He never forced himself on anyone, but everyone knew he was there.

He was, in every way, a one-of-a-kind player, matched only by his grace and quality as human being.

Pray for him.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

Hitchcock embodies experience

DEREK VAN DIEST, QMI Agency, March 1 2012

EDMONTON - Ken Hitchcock’s love of the game is apparent.

It doesn’t take long to realize how completely immersed the St. Louis Blues head coach is into hockey, and how he’s come to understand it as good or better than anyone involved in the game.

So it’s little surprise Hitchcock has been able to take a talented club in the Blues and get them to the next level.

“The thing that I get out of him is how smart he sounds when he talks,” said Blues defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo. “He just makes everything seem so simple when he talks. The sort of system that he teaches makes it easy to pick up and play. I got a sniff of him at the World Championships, had a great experience with him there, and had a lot of good things to say about him. Now that he’s my coach, I still have a lot of great things to say about him, so I’m really grateful.”

Hitchcock took over the Blues in November, replacing Davis Payne. The Blues got off to a 6-7 start and management felt a change was necessary.

Having been relieved of his duties in Columbus, the Blues turned to the veteran coach, hoping he could turn their fortunes around.

Heading into Wednesday’s game against the Oilers, Hitchcock has the Blues three points out of top spot in the Western Conference.

“Davis was a lot younger, when he came in, he was relating with the younger players a little bit,” said Blues winger Andy McDonald. “Then when Hitch came in, everybody was relying on his experience. We know that he’s won in the past and we trust him every night that he’ll have a good game plan for us.

“He’s got the confidence of the players in their room. When he has a game plan, the guys realize when we follow it, we’re going to have success every night. That’s what it is, trusting him and knowing that he knows what it takes for this team to have success.”

Under Hitchcock, the Blues have amassed a 33-10-7 record heading into their game against the Oilers.

They are getting great goaltending from both Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak, and offensive production is spread throughout the lineup.

They’re not blowing teams away, but finding ways to win close games, which is a credit to Hitchcock.

“There were a lot of mixed feelings when he first came in, because we were just starting a long home stand,” said Colaiacovo. “We had played the majority of our games on the road and we were a .500 team, and nobody really expected something like that to happen.

“When he came in a lot of guys were asking players who had played for him before what he was like and what to expect. The message was clear, he’s a guy that’s going to come in, be a good teacher, be a guy that brings a lot of experience, but at the same time, be someone that pushes guys to be their best. The results are there and they’re proven that we are where we are because of it.”

Hitchcock, 60, is currently the oldest coach in the NHL. The Edmonton native admits he’s had to evolve over the years to be more in tune with today’s professional hockey players.

So far, he’s pushing all the right buttons with his young squad.

“I think the players said it best: playing for me is like playing for their dad,” Hitchcock said. “Then one guy spoke up and said it’s the step dad.

“It’s what it is. When you’ve been through this before you kind of know the end game, you know where it’s going to go and you can cut things off at the pass. I find myself spending more time on big picture stuff. I still know the details of the game, but I also know where the path goes and that’s what helps a lot of people. I know if we go down this path where it’s going to end up, and I know if we go down the wrong path where that’s going to end up.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The first black player's big secret
Boston's barrier breaker: Willie O'Ree, shown in this 1960 photo, became the first black man to play in the NHL on Jan. 18, 1958.

Luke Fox, Sportsnet.ca, February 29, 2012

Almost all of the black players to ever wear an official NHL sweater have sought him out.

Mike Marson, only the second black player in NHL history, joined the Washington Capitals in 1974, a long 16 years after the colour barrier had been trampled. He wanted to talk to Mr. O’Ree.

Bill Riley, the NHL’s third black player, wanted to meet him as well.

So too did Herb Carnegie, a black Torontonian who believed racism kept him out of the game’s ultimate league in his prime, the 1940s and ’50s. Herbie and his brother Ossie and Manny MacIntyre formed hockey’s first all-black line as the starting forwards for the Quebec Provincial Hockey League’s St. Francois. Mr. O’Ree still chats from time to time with the Carnegie brothers.

Journeyman Tony McKegney, who played 13 seasons for seven NHL clubs after entering the league in 1978, wanted to speak to Mr. O’Ree. Grant Fuhr, Jarome Iginla, Wayne Simmonds... Mr. O’Ree, now 76 years old, is happy to talk to them all.

But what is there to say to the first black man to skate on National Hockey League ice, on Jan. 18, 1958? To the man who didn’t just smash through the game’s colour barrier but continues to stomp all over the rubble and grind it into a fine dust?

“All they can say is, ‘I can’t imagine what you went through to bust the doors and break down the barriers to make it possible for players like myself,’ ” Mr. O’Ree says.

If you think this is a story about a black Canadian, since dubbed the “Jackie Robinson of Ice Hockey” and awarded the Order of Canada, enduring hateful epithets and a few hundred extra hacks, then you are only 10 per cent correct.

For the most remarkable thing about Willie Eldon O’Ree is not that he made the cut in an all-white sport while he happened to be black. It’s not even that he made the NHL when there were only six teams and roster spots were five times harder to come by. It is that he made the NHL, and then flourished as a professional hockey player deep into his 40s, as a man half-blind.

We spoke at length with Mr. O’Ree from Buffalo, where he was continuing his new mission: encouraging boys and girls from diverse backgrounds to lace up skates and pick up the game of hockey.

Do people have any clue what it was like for you in January of 1958 when you became the NHL’s first black player?

You can Google me and find out a lot about me. But what they don’t know is, I lost my right eye when I was struck with a puck. I lost sight in my right eye, and the doctor told me that I would be blind in my right eye and never play hockey again. When I got out of the hospital, I told myself, I just can’t accept the fact that this doctor is telling me I’ll never play hockey again. He doesn’t know the burning desire I have within myself, and the goals and dreams that I’ve set for myself of not only playing professional hockey but making it into the National Hockey League. So I started playing again.

I went to the (Quebec Senior Hockey League’s) Quebec Aces’ training camp after playing my last year of junior. Up in Quebec, Punch Imlach was the coach and general manager. I made the team, but I didn’t disclose the fact that I couldn’t see out of my right eye. I was a left-hand shot playing left wing, so to compensate I had to turn my head all the way around to my right shoulder to pick the puck and the play up. I played for the Aces the next year, and then the Bruins invited me to their training camp in (1957). I went to their training camp, then came back and started playing for the Quebec Aces, and the Bruins said, “We want O’Ree to meet us in Montreal and play two games, on Jan. 18, which was a Saturday in 1958, and then in Boston on the Sunday.” I played the two games, then went back to my parent club, the Aces, and finished out the season. I went to the Bruins’ training camp again the next year and was called up again in 1960-61 and played 45 games with the Bruins.

A lot of people don’t realize, in the 21 years I played pro, I played with one eye.

How do you keep blindness a secret?

When I went to training camp and made the team, I told myself, “If I can make the team with one eye, don’t tell them.” Back then you needed a certain percentage of vision in each eye (to be allowed to play). If it gets out that I’m blind in my right eye, I probably won’t be allowed to play pro, and definitely won’t be allowed to play in the National Hockey League. I never took an eye exam in all the 21 years I played. I never sat in front of an eye machine. I don’t know why back then they didn’t make me. It’s different now. Back then, they were more concerned with your physical condition, and I always kept myself in good shape. I worked out in the gym and played some baseball. And by the time I was ready to return to training camp I was two pounds away from my playing weight. I kept my fingers crossed all those years hoping that nobody would find out. I just played and eventually forgot about it.

I was traded to the Los Angeles Blades of the Western professional Hockey League in 1961. Alfie Pike was the coach when I was out there. When I went to training camp, Alfie said, “Willie, have you ever played right wing?” I said, “No, Alfie, I’ve played left wing my whole career, being a left-hand shot.” He says, “Well, I’ve got about seven left-wingers here. Why don’t you give it a try? We could use your speed on the right side.” So now I switch over to my right, the boards are on my right, and I don’t have to turn around and look over my shoulder. The only disadvantage was taking passes on my backhand, but after three or four games, I fell right into it. I played the last 12 years of my career on the right side, and I won the Western scoring race in 1965, in ’69, and was voted onto four all-star teams due to the fact I switched over.

Do you let yourself wonder how successful you would’ve been in the NHL if you had perfect vision? Or if you had made the switch to right wing earlier?

That’s the thing right there. I don’t know if they found out that I had an impairment. After I left the Bruins, the coach and general manager, Lynn Patrick, said, “Willie, go home and have a good summer. We look forward to you coming back to the Bruins.” So I go home and tell my mom and dad and all my friends that I’m coming back to training camp.

I was home about six weeks, I’m in my living room at my mom’s place, and the phone rings. My mom says, “It’s a sportswriter. He wants to talk to you.”

I pick up the phone, and he says, “Willie, what do you think about the trade?”

I said, “What trade are you referring to?”

He says, “You’ve been traded to the Montreal Canadiens.”

I say, “I have?”

He says, “Yeah, what do you think?”

I said, “Well, I’ll probably be playing on their farm team.”

I never found out why I got traded, and I never asked.

How’s your sight now?

Oh, I’m blind. I’ve been blind from the day the puck hit me. Later I had my eye removed, it was paining me so much. I went to the doctors, and they X-rayed it and said, “We could inject a solution that will alleviate some of the pain, or we can remove your eye and you’ll have no pain.” So I had my eye removed and I wear a special prosthesis; it’s like a contact lens that I need to clean every now and then.

Obviously it was a different era, but when you were hit in the eye, did anyone even mention the need for face protection?

Nobody wore any helmets. The goalies didn’t wear masks. Face guards weren’t even invented until the ’70s. The goalies were getting hit with sticks and pucks in the face, and you tried to protect yourself by keeping an eye on the puck. What happened to me was, a slap shot from the point came when I was in front of the net. A defenceman cross-checked me in the back and swung me around. I turned around to see where the puck was, and it ricocheted off a stick and struck me in the eye.

Let’s go to the beginning. What was it like growing up as a kid in Fredericton, New Brunswick?

Great! Being the youngest of 13 children, I had a good childhood. My parents were very strict about me staying in school and getting an education. I played about nine different sports growing up, but I always had to keep my grades up. I played up through the ranks (in several sports) until I was 14, when I decided I wanted to be a professional hockey player.

My older brother was also my friend and my mentor, and he taught me a lot of things I should know if I wanted to choose hockey as a career: “You’ll have problems with other people because of your race. You’ll be called names. Don’t let that interfere with what you really want to accomplish. If you stay focused on playing to the best of your ability and representing your hockey club, the other stuff will fall by the wayside.”

That’s what I put in my mind, and I just kept focused and worked hard. And every time I went to camp I said, “If they’re going to keep 20 players on their roster, I’m going to be one of the 20 no matter what I have to do. If I have to fight, if I have to score, if I have to skate faster…” In all the training camps I went to, I made the team. Later, I got traded. I was afraid to fail. I was afraid to go away to a training camp and not make it and come home and face my parents and say, “I wasn’t good enough to make the team.” That would be devastating. I played afraid.

Was your brother able to see you play in the NHL?

Oh, yeah. My family came to Montreal and Toronto, because those were the two closest cities. They watched me play. They came to Montreal and saw my first game, and then to Boston to see me on the Sunday. My mom and dad supported me. They didn’t have to push me because I did all the pushing, but they were always there when I needed them.

When did you realize that there were no black players in the league?

I knew it when I was in junior. When I went to Quebec the first year, Phil Watson was the coach. He had played earlier with the New York Rangers in the ’40s. He said, “Willie, you know, there are no black players in the NHL. You could be the first. You have the skills, you have the ability. All you have to do is work hard.” It went in one ear and out the other, because I just wanted to do a good job in junior.

When I was second year I went to Kitchener and Jack Stewart told me the same thing: “Willie, you have the skills to break the colour barrier.” When I turned pro with the Quebec Aces, Punch Imlach and Joe Crozier told me the same thing. It started to register with me. We won the Duke of Edinburgh Trophy, which was like our Stanley Cup at that time. That gave me the extra confidence I needed.

How aware were the fans on Jan. 18, 1958 that the colour barrier was being broken?

I don’t know if they were or not. I was no stranger to the Montreal fans. I had played against the Montreal Canadiens in exhibition games, and I played against the Montreal Junior Canadiens and the Montreal Royals. So when I stepped on the ice on Jan. 18, 1958, I saw people pointing at me, saying, “There’s that black kid. He’s up with the Bruins now.” There was nothing said about breaking the colour barrier. It didn’t register with me until I read it in the paper the next morning. Then when I was called back up in 1960-61, the media said, “That’s Willie O’Ree. He’s the Jackie Robinson of hockey.”

Where did the majority of hate and ignorance come from?

Players and fans, especially when I came to the States. There were only six teams when I was playing. I noticed the racial slurs and remarks in Detroit and especially Chicago. But it really didn’t bother me. I just wanted to play hockey, and if they couldn’t accept me for the individual that I am… because I had the skills to play in the league. I fought a lot when I first started, not because I wanted to but because I had to. Guys wanted to see what I was made of. I’d drop the gloves. I said, “If I’m gonna leave the league, it’ll be because I don’t have the talent.” It got a little easier as time went on, but I stayed focused on playing the best hockey I could. Soon I gained the respect of not only the players on the opposition but the fans in the stands. I’ve had racial slurs directed at me at airports and restaurants, so it goes in one ear and out the other.

How old were you when you stopped playing profesionally?

Forty-five. I injured a couple of ribs and decided to pack it in. I enjoyed the 21 years I played (pro), met a lot of great guys. The guys I played against in the NHL were great players, and I thank the Boston organization for thinking enough of me to call me up and making me part of their team.

What happened to you after you stopped playing pro?

I retired in 1980, my last year of pro, and then I had several jobs, but I wanted to get back into hockey in some capacity. I had something to give back to the sport that the sport gave to me. I wrote letters and had doors open and close. I had numerous jobs. I worked for a private security company for 18 years. And if you’ve ever been to San Diego, there’s a historical hotel in Coronado called Hotel Del: I got into security over there.

I worked there for five years, and then Brian McBride, who was the newly appointed vice president of the (NHL’s) diversity program, found out I was in San Diego, and Brian said, “Mr. O’Ree, would you like to be an ambassador and encourage boys and girls to play hockey?”

They laid a plan out, and I looked at it. The first thing I said was, “Are we looking at a long-range program? Is this something that’ll still be going in 20 or 30 years? Because I don’t want to involve myself with something that goes for a couple years and fizzles out.”

Brain McBride says, “No. I’m 100 per cent for it, and commissioner Bettman is 100 per cent for it.”

I said, “I’m in.”

When you hear of incidents such as the fan in London, Ont., throwing a banana at the Flyers’ Wayne Simmonds last fall, what runs through your mind?

Ignorance, that’s all it is. This guy who threw the banana, put yourself in Wayne Simmonds’ shoes: How would he like it, the reception that he gave? It’s just ignorance. The guy brought the banana in for one purpose only; they don’t sell bananas in the stadium. (Editor's note: The man who threw the banana said he did buy it from a stand in the John Labatt Centre.) He brought it in to throw it on the ice and discredit the player. Things like that, they happen but you wonder why they happen. We just need to keep working together, and hopefully down the road there will be no more racial remarks and slurs directed towards these players.

Most of your recognition has come in the last decade: the Order of Canada, the Fredericton arena named after you, the Lester Patrick Award. Why the delay to recognize your accomplishments?

They say things happen for a reason. I have to credit commissioner Bettman for appointing me to the diversity program. A lot of this recognition has come in the past five to eight years. I don’t know why the reason. The type of individual that I am, I just wanted to give back and let these boys and girls know there is another sport they can play if they want to. Some of them have never had a chance to skate, let alone play hockey.

Once I get these kids on the ice, I’ve never had one boy or girl tell me, “Mr. O’Ree, I don’t like this. I’m not coming back.” Ninety per cent of the job is just getting them on the ice and letting them know that it’s a fun sport. Like yourself, feel good about yourself. If you like yourself and feel good about yourself, people will like you. If you have a negative attitude, what do you expect from other people? The one expression I use is, “If you think you can or if you think you can’t, you’re right.” You have to believe in yourself and set goals for yourself and don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t attain your goals.

When the doctor told me I’d never play hockey again, I couldn’t accept that. He was a fine physician, but he didn’t know the burning desire in my gut. I went out and played hockey regardless, to prove this gentleman wrong. And I forgot about the impairment that I had. People said it’s impossible to play hockey, with its speed and sticks flying, when you’re blind. Well, you can do the impossible if you feel it within yourself. I’m a strong believer in that.

I’ve been blessed. My dad said, “Find a job you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life.” There’s truth to that. It doesn’t seem like a job when you can go out and put a smile on a boy or girl’s face. It’s very rewarding.

Is the NHL doing enough to encourage diversity?

Oh, yeah. There’s more rinks all over now. Hockey’s a very unique sport. You can go to any type of hall or court and throw a baseball, dribble a basketball or hit a tennis ball. In order to play hockey, you need to get on the ice. You could start with an in-line skate program, but you really need to get on the ice. There’s no other way. Now these kids have that opportunity.

Is there a piece of memorabilia that you hold dear?

When I left the Bruins I would’ve taken my jersey with me had I have known I wasn’t coming back. But there are some early hockey cards out. I have a couple cards that have part of a hockey stick that I played with inserted in the hockey card. Then I have some pictures of some of the guys I played with and a picture of the old Boston Gardens. I get back about four times a year and go to the Alumni Room and see some of the guys I played with. Some are still there. It’s a nice feeling.

Why aren’t you in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

[Laughs] I only played in the NHL 45 games. If I get into the Hall of Fame, it’s going to be for the work I’m doing now. A lot of people tell me, “You should be in the Hall of Fame. You broke the colour barrier!” Yeah, but I only played 45 games; the guys that are in there played in the NHL for years and established themselves. But I’m hoping one day I get in.

Describe your day-to-day role with "Hockey Is for Everyone."

Back in 1998, the NHL all-star game was in Vancouver, Canada. It just happened to fall on my anniversary (of breaking the colour barrier) of Jan. 18. Commissioner Bettman appointed me the director of the NHL’s diversity program as an ambassador to make it possible for more boys and girls to play hockey. At that point, there were about four or five programs; we have 34 now. My duties are to travel around to the different programs and help these kids on and off the ice, develop their hockey skills and life skills. The logo “Hockey Is for Everyone” is exactly what that means -- we won’t turn any boy or girl away. We’ll make it feasible for these boys and girls to play, and if they come and don’t like it, they can just walk away. It won’t cost them anything. Since my involvement over the past 14 years, I’ve seen a big increase in the number of boys and girls who want to play the game.

In those 14 years, are there examples of children you’ve seen grow up through the program?

There’s several. One is Gerald Coleman. He was with the program in Chicago called PUCK, Positive Uplifting of Chicago Kids. I met Gerald when he was 13, just a skinny little black kid. He came through the program, wanted to be a goaltender. Everybody tried to talk him out of it: “No, Gerald. You’ll be turned down because of your colour.”

“I don’t care,” he said. “I’m going to be a goalie, and I’m going to play in the National Hockey League.”

Well, four years ago he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning, played (two games) in the NHL. I think he’s in the minors now, but he’ll definitely be back. (Coleman currently plays with AHL’s Lake Eerie Monsters.) And there’s two or three other kids who are in college playing now. A lot of these kids come through the program, then come back to help out.

Before we finish, tell me about meeting Jackie Robinson.

I met him on two occasions. I met him in 1949. I was playing baseball in my hometown, and the reward was my team was taken to New York to see the Empire State Building and Radio City Music Hall and Coney Island and all the tourist attractions. He was playing with the Dodgers; I met him after a game. I told him, “Yeah, I play hockey too, Mr. Robinson.” He didn’t know there were any black kids playing, but he said, “Whatever sport you choose, work hard and do your very best. Things will work out for you.”

And when I was traded to the Los Angeles Blades in 1961, in 1962 the NAACP held a luncheon in Mr. Robinson’s honour. I made a case to the Blades to go. Mr. Robinson was over in the corner talking to a couple of media people. After they cleared out, we went over.

The coach of our team said, “Mr. Robinson, I’d like you to meet one of our star hockey players. This is Willie O’Ree.”

Mr. Robinson looked at me for a couple of seconds. Then he said, “Oh, yeah, you’re that young fellow I met in Brooklyn.”

So from 1949 to 1962, he remembered.

-----

My dad played with Willie in Spain in the late 1970's(?); many years after Willie 'retired' from playing pro. He said he was an incredible man and was still in unreal shape for his age and a heck of a hockey player. I wished I would have had a chance to see that.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hall of Fame character: Fleury continues to share his personal journey in hopes of helping others.

Mike Brophy, Sportsnet.ca, March 2, 2012

Mark Howe is one of the lucky ones.

Each year when the Hockey Hall of Fame's selection committee gathers in late June to debate the merits of potential inductees, the emphasis is on recent retirees. So this year, you'd have to think Joe Sakic, who is now eligible, will be an automatic while others such as Mats Sundin and Brendan Shanahan will be discussed, too.

Every now and then, a player who has been passed over, often more than once, gets the nod.

Last year, it was Mark Howe, the son of a legend and one of the steadiest defencemen to ever skate in the NHL and WHA. It's not as though he somehow got better as a player in the 16 years between his retirement and his induction, but somebody on the committee managed to convince the others that his inclusion with the best that have ever played the game was right and just.

There are others that have been passed over, in this man's opinion, who also deserve reconsideration: Steve Larmer, Pavel Bure, Eric Lindros and Claude Lemieux, to name a few.

And, perhaps more than anybody else, Theoren Fleury.

On the surface, one might think Fleury's record speaks for itself:

-- 455 goals and 1,088 points in 1,084 regular season NHL games

-- 34 goals and 79 points in 77 NHL playoff games

-- IHL championship with the Salt Lake City Eagles in 1987-88

-- Stanley Cup championship with the Calgary Flames in 1988-89

-- Gold medal with Team Canada at the World Junior Championship in 1988

-- Gold medal with Team Canada at the Canada Cup in 1991

-- Gold medal with Team Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City

All of that while beating the odds of being one of the smallest players in the NHL. At 5-foot-6 and 180 pounds. The deck was stacked against Fleury trying to make it in a big man's world.

And size wasn't the only obstacle he faced.

Try alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling addition and, worst of all, the deep, dark secret that he had been sexually abused by a man he trusted to do all the right things to get him to the NHL, Graham James.

You think Fleury's off-ice behaviour is a reason to keep him out of the Hall? I say, with all he went through in his life, all those skeletons in his closet are reasons to induct him! This man -- a giant in my books -- went through hell and all the while accomplished on the ice what so many others only dream about.

So how did he do it?

"I didn't realize this until I first started doing my speaking tours and read a book called Outliers: The Story of Success (by Malcolm Gladwell)," Fleury said. "Basically, what this guy says is, if we want to be the elite of the elite in whatever field we choose, we need to put in 10,000 hours of practice. From the time I was six until I was 16, guess what happened? I put in those 10,000 hours of practice and because of that, when I stepped on the ice, I never had to think because I had gone through every single scenario thousands and thousands of times on the ice. And because I was naturally gifted and had ability and talent, and because I put in all those hours or practice, that is what set me apart from every other small guy who tried to play in the NHL."

Another statistic in his career that stands out is the 1,840 penalty minutes he accumulated. There have been plenty of small, skilled players over the years in the NHL, but few had the combative nature of Fleury. He said he realized early on that, as a tiny player, he needed to find an edge that kept others on their toes.

"There's not a lot of us," Fleury said with a laugh. "There's Mats Naslund, Denis Savard, Dennis Maruk. There's only a handful of guys who really had an impact on the game. I realized in my first year in Moose Jaw when I was 5-foot-2 and 120 pounds and playing against guys that were three times as big as me, in order for me to be able to do what I do on the ice, I needed something different and that was unpredictability. They didn't know whether I was going to cut their eye out or kiss them. Also, not backing down from any confrontation on the ice. If you allow it to happen one time, you're done."

Fleury spends a great deal of his time counseling others that have shared similar experiences to his. It is an on-going fight. Asked what difference it might have made to his career had he not battled booze, dope, gambling and sexual abuse, Fleury was silent for a moment before offering:

"What would I have done? Would I have won another Stanley Cup? Would I have won a scoring title? I don't have any regrets about my life. The lesson that has been learned here is we all have a plan for our life; we all have a purpose for our life. Sometimes we have to go to the depth that I went to in order to figure it out. If you ask any successful person in the world, they will tell you the biggest reason for their success is they have helped other people achieve success. They have inspired people or have given of their time, one-on-one, to teach others how to get through adversity or how to become a great salesman or a great executive. You're not born into that. You need experiences to get to a certain level -- to gain awareness."

For Theo Fleury, the battle never ends. He controls what he can and he doesn't dwell in what he cannot control. In my eyes, as well as in the eyes of many others in his life, he doesn't need to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame as an endorsement of his excellence. That said, it sure would be cool.

"It's hard to put into words," Fleury said. "It is the highest honour you can receive as a player -- even bigger than Stanley Cups and gold medals. To be recognized by your peers; that not only did you play the game at a certain level, but you carried yourself in a certain way, too.

"I totally understand what people think about me because at the end of my career I wasn't a Hall of Fame guy. But I think over the last six or seven years I have proven to everybody that I am a person of quality and morals and all those things that people seemed to forget. It's something I face everyday on Facebook and Twitter, trying to get rid of that reputation I had at the end (of my career). People think we can't recover; we can't go on to have a peaceful and successful life, but I'm saying, 'No. Nothing is impossible.' "

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Unlike father Warren, Spitfires’ Kerby Rychel looks to be a sure bet for NHL draft

Sean FitzGerald, National Post, Mar 2, 2012

WINDSOR — Stan Rychel can remember feeling uncomfortably warm in the big room, but suspects it was probably just the tension. His son dreamed of hearing his name called at the National Hockey League’s amateur draft, but one by one, hour after hour, teenagers sitting behind, in front and beside them were invited to the floor, and the air grew stale.

It was June 15, 1985, and they had driven into Toronto from the family home in Windsor, where Warren Rychel would borrow his father’s lawnmower to cut the grass at one local arena just so he could get one more hour of ice time. Along with Warren’s mother, the two were in the audience as the NHL’s 21 teams began calling out 252 names.

“It was hard,” Stan said. “It was probably harder for us than maybe it was for him.”

Wendel Clark went first. Craig Simpson went second. Wayne Gretzky’s little brother was called late in the third round. Warren Rychel, a hard-working winger with more ambition than natural ability, was never called, leaving his seat only when it was time to climb into the car for the long tearful drive home.

“It’s an experience,” Stan said. “I don’t think I’d want to go through it too often.”

But he will have to, at least one more time.

Warren Rychel eventually landed regular work in the NHL after fighting his way through the now-defunct International Hockey League — and fighting is the proper term, with the 938 penalty minutes he earned in one three-season stretch — and has become part owner and general manager of the Windsor Spitfires. The Ontario Hockey League team won back-to-back Memorial Cup titles under his ownership group, and even though it is rebuilding this year, the team has been making a run at a playoff spot with a player whose name could be called early in the 2013 NHL draft.

Kerby Rychel, Warren’s eldest son, is the team’s leading goal-scorer.

“He’s got way more skill than I did,” Warren said. “But his work ethic, I don’t think, at this age, that anybody matches it. He really wants it.”

Kerby was born nine years after his father first went undrafted, on Oct. 7, 1994, the week the NHL locked out its players. Warren had landed work with the Los Angeles Kings and was one season removed from appearing in a Stanley Cup final. Gretzky was the star, and Keith Gretzky, that third-round pick in 1985, played through his final season in professional hockey, in a minor league that no longer exists.

Kerby Rychel scored 36 goals in 60 games heading into play Thursday. His father scored 47 goals over his entire three-year OHL career.

“He’s a good package of NHL potential,” said Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting. “So when you look at the OHL, he’s going to be one of the guys that you’re going to say, ‘he has first-round potential.’”

He is being projected as a power forward. Kerby has his father’s frame, at 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, but has better hands and vision. He has a knack for scoring, beating the highly ranked London Knights for three goals in a game last month, and he also has a knack for violence, getting thrown out of a game last weekend for hitting from behind.

“I’ve talked to a few NHL scouts, friends of mine, who said if he was in the draft this year, he’d be considered a first-round pick,” Spitfires coach Bob Boughner said. “That’s a pretty big statement for a kid this age.”

Boughner, who is also president and part owner of the team, has known Kerby since he was a baby. Many of the people around the team have known him for that long, in no small part because Rychels and Boughners seem to be everywhere around the arena in Windsor.

Stan Rychel works in the pro shop with Boughner’s father. Kerby’s grandmother helps to prepare meals in the arena on game days, and his little brother, Maddux, has a seat next to their father during home games. They both watched in silence as Kerby was ejected last Sunday afternoon, opening a small hole in the broad tapestry of profanity that Warren had been weaving during a critical game in the schedule.

The Spitfires have become a factory for NHL talent over the last six seasons. Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall was a key member of Windsor’s back-to-back Memorial Cup championships, along with Nashville Predators defenceman Ryan Ellis and New Jersey Devils centre Adam Henrique, who led the NHL in rookie scoring heading into Thursday night’s games.

Their accomplishments have been framed and put on display in a wood-panelled hall that leads into the team’s dressing room.

What Rychel and Boughner have developed is junior hockey only in name. Players have their own lounge, a fully equipped gym and a flat-screen television hung on the wall of their dressing room, with spacious wooden stalls that are almost identical to ones used by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“It’d definitely be a special moment for me and my family if I were to get selected,” Kerby said. “I worked really hard, all the way up, and it’d be an honour to get drafted.”

His grandfather did not even learn to skate until he was 12 years old. Stan Rychel was born in Poland, moved to Canada when he was 10, and is almost certain the first pair of skates he ever wore were a donated pair of men’s figure skates.

He has already been through the draft as a father, and as the patriarch of a group that lists hockey as a family business, he sounds like a man trying not to get too excited about going through the whole process again as a grandfather.

“Anything can happen — he can get hurt, this may be a fluke year and next year could be a different story — but with Kerby’s work ethic, I could see him being drafted,” he said. “It’s a dream.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Don Cherry feels sorry for Leafs coach Ron Wilson

Joe O'Connor, National Post, Mar 2, 2012

One of the ongoing mini-dramas beneath the over-arching, all-consuming drama that is the life and times and failings of the Toronto Maple Leafs and their embattled, beleaguered head coach, Ron Wilson, is the feud between the bench boss and Don Cherry.

Cherry and Wilson are like shinny rinks and spring-like temperatures: they just don’t mix. And they don’t like each other much, as evidenced by a bubbling feud of barbs that, at various times, has seen Cherry blast Wilson on Coach’s Corner for being “pompous and arrogant” and a “bully”. He also sneeringly refers to him as “The Genius.”

Wilson’s boss, Leafs GM Brian Burke, has complained to the CBC about Cherry’s criticisms, the latest coming back in January when the talking head trashed the working coach for not applauding during a pre-game ceremony at the Air Canada Centre honouring the Canadian military.

Now, Wilson is reeling. Leafs fans, and media types, are all calling for his head, as his team continues its crazy carpet ride from serious playoff contender to league laughing stock. There is blood in the water, and now that there is, Cherry is refusing to bite and instead says he pities his Leafs nemesis.

“I don’t want to get into it,” Cherry said in an interview with the National Post this week. “I had my say about him two years ago — and every year since — but now that the sharks have smelled blood I am not going to jump in. I feel sorry for him.

“Even though he detests me, and vice versa, I feel sorry for him because it is a tough deal. You know, when I was in Colorado, it was the same thing.

“You don’t like to see any coach, even one that detests you and vice versa, get the treatment he gets. And for him to be standing there hearing chants of “Fire Wilson” from 18,000 people, that is tough. And I can’t comment on that.

“I can’t comment on any coach being fired because I know how they feel. It is not only you — it is your family, your kids and especially your wife. Can you imagine if she is at the game and she hears “Fire Wilson?”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Bettman talks Quebec, Coyotes: Relocating franchises a last resort

By REJEAN TREMBLAY, QMI Agency, March 2 2012

No easy road to top for Bettman

NEW YORK - When you enter the building at 1251 Avenue of the Americas, you are initially held up for a good 10 minutes by security. It is also located at the heart of Manhattan, three minutes from Times Square.

The offices of the National Hockey League are on the 15th floor. Hypermodern, in steel-grey tones, the meeting rooms line the way as you approach the office of Gary Bettman. A huge space, where many objects and photos remind you that you have indeed stepped into the office of the NHL commissioner. It's a work area, not overly luxurious.

Today, Gary Bettman receives visitors in a shirt and tie.

Half an hour later, the conversation is very animated. We have already spoken of the league's successes despite a difficult economy in the United States and started in on the situation of the Phoenix Coyotes.

The commissioner understands what's going on in Quebec: "I am aware of the new TVA Sports network. I am aware of the efforts of Pierre Karl Peladeau. I am informed of what is going on in my world. I also know that the economic power of Quebec City is much bigger than it was. The studies that I have read have kept me informed. And I know the mayor of Quebec, Mr. (Regis) Labeaume, and I know that he is certainly a determined and opinionated man. But I also know that the people of Quebec are lucky to have a mayor like that," Bettman said.

But every time he seems to open a door, he always adds, and sometimes repeats a dozen times in a louder voice: "If ... if ... if ... if ... if ..."

In other words, if one day a team can be moved, he will let us know.

Expansion is never talked about, but wouldn't that be logical?

"We aren't talking expansion because we are not planning an expansion," Bettman said. "We are comfortable with 30 teams. We are continually receiving requests for information or signs of interest. We have received interest from Quebec, Seattle, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Southern Ontario, from Saskatoon, even Halifax. I always give the same answer.

"We don't like moving teams and, currently, there are no teams available. Maybe one day the circumstances will allow for one but for now, there is nothing available."

When he says this, Bettman's voice is unequivocal. However, he will take the time to explain to what point the league feels responsible towards fans of the teams.

He says -- and repeats -- that the league will work to the limit to protect the Phoenix fans or any other affected team.

"As we speak (last Thursday) we have been working with three groups to save the Coyotes," he said. "We are going to the limit. In the past, when we moved the Nordiques and the Jets, there was a reason. We had no owner ready to continue operations in those cities. Despite our efforts, we couldn't find one. That's what happened in Atlanta. The team became available for Winnipeg the day where it was certain that it was impossible to find an owner for Atlanta.

"The rule is that when we are in a city, we stay in the city and we do everything we can to make it work where it is. We don't want fans to worry. We have a commitment to them."

Seattle, Kansas City, Quebec? Bettman shrugs his shoulders. He repeats that as long as things aren't finished in Phoenix, there will be no option of a move.

Which doesn't stop him from preparing everything discreetly. For example, he knows Peladeau is interested in bringing an NHL team to Quebec.

"I met Pierre Karl a few times. At least two or three times. I know very well of his interest and his passion for hockey and to bring a team to Quebec. I also know his sophisticated business sense and I am aware that he brings an extraordinary environment along with him.

"If ... if ... if ... if ... a franchise was available, there would be three factors to consider. One, the owner. Two, the arena. And three, the market. That is how we must analyze the demands and make a decision."

But all the cities will have a new arena, so that's no longer a determining factor.

"It's a base condition," Bettman said. "I already said it. In fact, what weighs most in the decision is the new owner. Because we invite them to become one of the 30 owners in the NHL. He is invited to sit with the others at the big table. He becomes one of ours. As for the market, it might already be established or still needing development. But it goes without saying that we have never once doubted the passion and love of our fans in Quebec."

There has to be a deadline to get the Phoenix situation resolved but Bettman won't confirm it.

"I don't know. All I know is that we are working to save the Coyotes," he said. "And I should also say that there is no list of favourite cities in case of a move. There is no conspiracy. Look on the walls, do you see a list of cities? If you want, go look in the files on my desk, you won't find a list. For the simple reason that there is no team available. But when something moves, it is clear that these ones are ready to move forward.

"When we had to leave Atlanta, Mark Chipman and David Thomson were ready. They had made me aware of their intentions for a few years already. As did Pierre Karl Peladeau. But I'm not saying Quebec is ahead, I'm saying that I haven't yet thought about what we would do if...if...if...if it wasn't working in Phoenix."

Meanwhile, the commissioner made another point. Referencing the fans of Winnipeg and Quebec, he noted: "I understand that we had to leave a city like Quebec for economic reasons at a certain time. I think that you have to consider that these fans that had their team taken away because of a decision to move. If you went somewhere else and have a chance to come back, you have to keep it in mind."

And contrary to public opinion, Bettman doesn't consider himself biased towards the United States: "I am perfectly aware of the passion and power of hockey in Canada. And the economy in Canada is strong. It's a country that has been extraordinarily well directed for many years. It shows today. With the Canadian dollar at par, that weighs heavily."

My feeling after speaking with the commissioner and a few of his lieutenants? If the Phoenix Coyotes have to leave in the spring, they will end up in Quebec. Even the people in his office are dreaming about it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

MP Marc Garneau on grassroots hockey

Anthony Jenkins, Globe and Mail Update, Mar. 01, 2012

Former astronaut Marc Garneau was the first Canadian in space, participating in three NASA space shuttle missions. He currently serves as MP for the Quebec constituency of Westmount-Ville-Marie.

Did you play organized hockey as a boy?

I played hockey until I was about 12, and then our family moved to England. So it dried up a little bit and I had to find other things, like soccer and rugby.

Do your kids play hockey?

I’m a hockey dad. I have some grown-up kids. One of them is 35 and he played hockey. I took him to the rink. I have two kids now, 12 and 15, and they were very engaged, but they are drifting away as well.

Do you know what a decent kid’s hockey stick costs?

I do. They can go from a plain-Jane wooden stick to sticks that cost hundreds of dollars. It’s a peer pressure issue. If someone really wants to play hockey, they can be persuaded that there is not that much difference if their hockey stick is not super-duper, really cool and the best. Branding and imaging are very important.

A recent study found that, at a grassroots level, boys’ participation in organized hockey in Canada is decreasing. In other countries, notably the United States, it’s rising. Is this a crisis, or just part of the natural evolution of the country?

It is part of the evolution. We have good infrastructure in this country to encourage people, to bring them up through. But other countries are getting very enthusiastic. If the interest is there, it is going to build and we may fade a little bit. How do you get people to play if they don’t want to play?

The study found “cost” as the most significant factor for kids – or parents - dropping out. A majority felt there should be more corporate financial involvement to help keep costs down. Should there be?

Corporations will get involved if there is a good business case for them, it gives them great publicity. You can’t force them to get involved, either. I’m not surprised that people feel that corporations should step in and help with paying some of the expenses, but wishful thinking is not going to do it.

Municipal rinks are feeling budget restraints, and costs for ice time are rising for parents. The government funds culture. Should it be more heavily funding something as core culture as ice time for kids’ hockey?

As I remember, there was the centennial ice-rink project back when we were celebrating our centennial [1967] and the government thought that was a good idea. The local hockey rink is very much the centre of a community.

We like to feel that hockey is Canada’s game and we’re the best in the world at it. Suppose this grassroots abandonment continues to the detriment of our hockey development and Canada slips as a hockey nation to the second tier – say on a par with France. Would that be a tragedy?

That will be hard for Canada, accompanied by people exhorting everybody to get more serious about it, to have more professional development, to develop our future hockey stars. I think that will come out in the process if that actually happens.

Would it be such a terrible thing if, due to costs or changing demographics, Canada declined as a hockey power and we came on internationally in, say, soccer?

I don’t think the country would fall apart. Some people would remember the glory days and wish they were there. It is part of an evolution, but I don’t think it will happen without a fight. I think we really do want to hold on to our image as being the best in the world. When we do lose at big international tournaments, we say: “We have to work harder for next time.”

Let’s say the funding comes, either from government or through corporate involvement, and cost ceases to be an issue. To keep enrolment levels high, new Canadians would need to be encouraged to embrace the game. Can anything be done? Should anything be done?

I don’t think it should be included in their “Welcome to Canada” material. Kids and their parents pick it up through osmosis. In some cases, new arrivals come from countries where they play hockey, but if they come from, say, northern Africa, they don’t play hockey. It is totally foreign to them.

Should a few hockey questions be included in any citizenship test – “What is a neutral zone trap?” Or might prospective Canadians be tested for the ability to stickhandle or skate backward?

There are a lot of important things we want people to pick up when the come into the country. I don’t think we should go that far.

Can you stickhandle or skate backward?

Not very well …

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Canadiens icon Jean Béliveau progressing well after stroke

CBC Sports, Mar 2, 2012

Montreal Canadiens icon Jean Béliveau is making encouraging progress since suffering a stroke Monday evening, according to his wife.

Élise Béliveau told the Montreal Gazette on Thursday that her 80-year-old Hall of Fame husband is speaking and laughing and has regained some of his strength as he goes through more tests.

He remains closely monitored by specialists.

The Canadiens announced Tuesday that Béliveau was admitted to Montreal General Hospital after a stroke a day earlier. He was a patient at the same hospital in June for endovascular surgery to repair abdominal aneurysms.

The former Canadiens great, who won 10 Stanley Cups during his Hall of Fame career, has endured a number of health problems.

Since the 1990s, Béliveau has been in and out of hospital on several occasions. A cancerous tumour was removed from his neck in 2000, and he underwent 35 chemotherapy treatments for a malignant throat tumor. The cancer remains in remission. He also had a stroke in January 2010. Prior to that, it was mostly his heart that was the concern.

Béliveau played his entire 20-year career with the Canadiens and is second on the team’s all-time list in points (1,219) and assists (712) and is third in goals (507).

He capped his brilliant time in Montreal with an unexpected Stanley Cup title in 1971 after the Canadiens upended the Chicago Blackhawks in seven games.

Élise Béliveau expressed gratitude in the Gazette interview for the overwhelming concern and affection shown to her husband and family from around the world.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Mark Spector | February 29, 2012, 7:26 pm
Twitter @SportsnetSpec
At age 60 and more than 1,000 games into his coaching career, Ken Hitchcock has seen a mistake or two in his day.

There are certain ones, however, that speak to a greater problem. A bigger, environmental issue that, say, Toronto Maple Leafs fans might know something about these days.

Hitchcock wasn't speaking to Luke Schenn's miscue on the first shift of a loss to Florida Tuesday. In fact, Schenn's name had not even come up when he was speaking with reporters prior to the St. Louis Blues game in Edmonton Wednesday night.

Yet, he was perfectly describing Schenn's blunder, as well as the rest of the situation enveloping the Toronto Maple Leafs these days.

"When I see some of the mistakes that get made on the ice, those aren't natural mistakes. Those are tension mistakes," he said Wednesday morning. "You have to find a way at this time of year to not make your team so tight. And that's not easy because there's pressure on you (the coach), there's pressure on the manager, there's pressure on the players. But no matter how you do it, you have to create a bubble.

"This is the time of year where the coach has to be dug in with the players at all costs."

So throwing the goaltenders under the bus, as Ron Wilson did last week in Toronto, does not fall under what Hitchcock would describe as acceptable, stretch-run coaching strategy. Nor would having the GM come out in relative agreement the next day, promising to investigate the goalie market prior to the trading deadline.

"You can't play at this time of year with tension other than the actual competition. If there's tension on top of that, it's so hard to play," said Hitchcock, who has never won the Jack Adams Award but will surely be on the ballot this year. "One of the things that happens is...whether it's the market you play in, whether it's the atmosphere, whether it's the culture, when there's too much tension, people freeze. You have heavy legs; you can't catch your breath.

"I've always had the attitude that a coach's job at this time of year is to make sure you do everything to protect the players so they can play the game."

So, let us review.

One 1000-game coach does it one way, and he's been hired and fired along the way.

Another 1000-game coach, Ron Wilson, does it his way. And he's been hired and fired along the way.

The difference is trajectory. Hitchcock joined the Blues early this season and has them challenging for first overall in the entire National Hockey League.

Wilson can't find the playoffs with an apple and a road map, and his home crowd is chanting "Fi-re Wil-son!" and booing the Maple Leafs off of the ice at the ACC.

St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong had to make the tough call on Davis Payne back in November. It was perhaps his most poignant decision as a GM.

"Ken's getting the maximum out of our players, which he was brought in to do," Armstrong said. "We felt like, bringing in a guy with 1000 games, a winner - Stanley Cups, World Cups, World Championships, Olympics - the group knew that they had a coach who has experienced what they want to experience."

We did ask Armstrong about making the late-season coaching move, the way Lou Lamoriello has in New Jersey a time or two before.

"You have to know the pulse of your team," Armstrong said. "And you don't know it from the outside. You have to be inside. You make hard decisions based on that."

Over to you, Brian?

Mark Spector is the senior columnist on sportsnet.ca

Leafs fire head coach Ron Wilson, replace him with Randy Carlyle

Eric Duhatschek AND Sean Gordon, Globe and Mail, Mar. 02, 2012

At around noon on Friday, Ron Wilson was in his familiar track suit, running a brisk practice, putting the fast-fading Toronto Maple Leafs through their paces in suburban Montreal.

Afterward, he held forth for the cameras in a spartan dressing room typically populated by recreational hockey players.

Asked whether he was concerned over the mounting speculation he might soon be relieved of his duties, Wilson calmly said: “The talk in town doesn’t really matter.”

Within a few hours, he was the Leafs’ former coach.

On the heels of a miserable 1-9-1 slide that has seen Toronto tumble out of the playoff picture, the Leafs brain trust has evidently decided a change was in order.

And so they now turn to former Anaheim Ducks coach Randy Carlyle, another head man who also suddenly found himself without a mount on the NHL’s coaching carousel earlier this season.

The no-nonsense Carlyle, who just wrapped up a trip scouting Eastern Conference teams for Anaheim, is expected to be behind the Maple Leafs bench when they play the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, in what has to count as a pivotal game.

The 55-year-old former Winnipeg Jets standout spent more than six seasons as Ducks boss, and has previously worked for Leafs general manager Brian Burke, who hired the former Norris Trophy winner when he ran the Anaheim franchise. The pair won a Stanley Cup in 2007.

In a 2007 interview discussing his coaching philosophy, Carlyle said that while he never imagined that he would ever become an NHL coach, he hasn’t forgotten what was important to him as a player.

“I don’t spend a heck of a lot of time in the dressing room,” said Carlyle, a defensive-minded coach and a notorious taskmaster. “I think that’s the players’ area. As a player, I didn’t want our coach always in the dressing room, so I don’t go into the dressing room very often. I go in, deliver whatever I have to do, and come out.”

The decision to fire Wilson will have been a traumatic one for Burke, he and Wilson have known since their university days at Providence College and are close friends – as such Burke will be able to commiserate with Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier on Saturday. Gauthier made a similarly painful move in December, firing long-time pal Jacques Martin.

Burke was steadfast in his support for Wilson last week when disgruntled fans in the Air Canada Centre voiced their displeasure with lusty chants of “Fi-re, Wil-son!”

But ultimately the team’s disconcerting slide made considerations of loyalty and friendship moot.

“This was not an easy decision for me to make,” said Burke, who thanked Wilson “for all of his hard work and dedication to our organization over the past four seasons.”

Earlier Friday, Wilson’s former players said the coach wasn’t to blame for the team’s current wretchedness.

“There’s only so much the coach can do,” centre David Steckel said. “We’re the ones who play the games.”

Added winger Joffrey Lupul: “It’s not fun for anyone, it’s not fun for the coach, it’s not fun for the goalies, it’s not fun for the fans. This is kind of the time when it’s easy to start pointing fingers and blaming people and that’s something we’ve talked about in here we don’t want to do.”

Historians will note Wilson, who signed a one-year contract extension over the Christmas holidays, was done in by spotty goaltending and inconsistent defensive play, both of which will need to improve drastically over the final five weeks of the regular season if the Leafs are to avoid extending their playoff drought to seven seasons.

The players believe it can be done, as Steckel said: “The reality is there’s still 18 games left, there’s still plenty of time to make up ground.”

The 56-year-old Wilson leaves Toronto fourth on the all-time NHL list for games coached, his record in Toronto was 130-135-45.

In 1,401 career games with Anaheim, Washington, San Jose and Toronto, he has a 648-561-91 record with 101 ties.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hockey Memorabilia: Million-dollar bid for Henderson’s Summit Series jersey sets Guinness record

MONTREAL— The Canadian Press, Mar. 02, 2012

Once again, Paul Henderson is credited with making hockey history.

A Montreal-based auction house says it's received a certificate from Guinness World Records about the jersey Mr. Henderson was wearing when he scored the winning goal in the 1972 Summit Series against the Soviets.

Classic Auctions says they have been informed that Guinness has classified it as the most expensive hockey jersey ever sold at auction.

The winning bid came in at $1.275-million two years ago.

Marc Juteau, president of Classic Auctions, says he was actually told by the Guinness people that they can't find a comparable scenario for any auction, in any sport. He says the item was listed in a special hockey category as a matter of caution, to ensure accuracy.

The famous No. 19 jersey was sold to Toronto real-estate magnate Mitchell Goldhar.

Mr. Henderson's tie-breaking goal came in the last minute of the eighth and final game. Canada won the series 4-3, with one tie.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Brad Wall says it's too soon to talk about an NHL team in Saskatoon

SASKATOON— The Canadian Press, Mar. 02, 2012

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says talk of an NHL team for Saskatoon is very speculative.

Hockey fans have been tweeting up a storm since TSN journalist Bob McKenzie wrote a column musing about the possibility of an NHL team relocating to Saskatoon.

But the premier suggested Friday that it's too soon to lace up the skates.

“Obviously this is very hypothetical and in early stages and sort of the stuff of rumours right now,” Wall told the Business News Network (BNN) in an interview from London, England.

“But I'm pretty biased. I would wonder why the NHL's not already in Canada's greatest province. I think we produce more per capita NHL players than anywhere else in the country. And obviously it's a hotbed of hockey.

“If Winnipeg can do it, I like our chances.”

A recent report from the Conference Board of Canada concluded that the country could sustain as many as nine National Hockey League franchises. The report from the Ottawa-based think-tank said Quebec City and Hamilton would be the most suitable cities.

The researchers looked at population size, market wealth, corporate presence and the level playing field created by a Canadian dollar that hovers around par with its U.S. counterpart. They ruled out any area with a population lower than 750,000.

Report co-author Mario Lefebvre said there were questions about Halifax and Saskatoon and Regina, but he said those markets are too small for teams to survive.

Saskatoon estimates its population is about 234,200.
The city is home to the Saskatoon Blades, a junior team in the Western Hockey League.

Wall pointed out that the province supported the world junior hockey championships when they were held in Saskatoon and Regina in 2010. That included making upgrades to Saskatoon's Credit Union Centre.

But the premier said it's too soon to talk about what might be needed for an NHL team.

“We always look at reasonable proposals, based on a need for recreational infrastructure, for those kind of facilities. But I don't make that comment in the context of this NHL speculation. I think that'd be way ahead of ourselves,” he told BNN.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Hockey fan buys Zamboni for backyard rink

CBC News, Mar 3, 2012

A Pleasant Valley, N.S., man has taken the backyard hockey rink to a new level. The hockey fanatic bought an ice resurfacing machine to turn the frozen pond into a high-quality rink.

Scott Fraser says the machine saves him time getting the pond ready, because he, his son and his wife all play hockey. A two-hour flooding process is now 20 minutes onboard the ice resurfacer.

The CBC's Kevin Harvey stopped by to see it in action.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/03/03/ns-private-zamboni.html

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Study says outdoor ice hockey could perish

Canadian Press, 04/03/2012

Canada's favourite pastime is on its way to being an indoor-only sport in some areas of the country, a new study warns.

The study, released Monday by United Kingdom-based IOP Publishing, says outdoor ice hockey in Canada is being threatened by climate change.

Lawrence Mysak, co-author of the report and a professor at McGill University in Montreal, Que., said warmer winter temperatures caused by climate change is restricting the operation of ice rinks.

"We were able to see that in general, the rinks were being opened later and later over the last... 50 years, and secondly that the length of the season has also shortened by... one or two, sometimes three weeks," said Mysak from his office in Montreal last week.

Mysak fears the gradual warming of the earth caused by burning fossil fuels could eventually cause the beloved outdoor activity to perish in several decades.

"If we extend the trends into the future, there could be no outdoor skating rinks with global warming taking place," said Mysak, who grew up carving his skates into outdoor rinks in Edmonton, Alta.

Regions that are being hit the hardest are the Prairies, southeastern British Columbia and southern Ontario and Quebec. The Maritimes and northern parts of the country did not see significant changes, he said.

Using historical weather data from more than 140 weather stations across Canada since the 1950s, the researchers calculated the annual start date and length of the outdoor skating season, said Mysak.

He said the beginning of the season is considered the last of three days where the maximum temperature does not exceed -5 C, as it takes several cold days to lay the initial ice on the rink.

They then looked at how many days in January and February were cold enough to skate on backyard or community rinks built on the ground or snow, said Mysak.

Damon Matthews, co-author of the report and a professor at Concordia University in Montreal, Que., said many regions experienced decreases in the length of the outdoor skating season.

"It's hard to imagine parts of the country that currently do enjoy outdoor skating not being able to do that at some point in the future," said Matthews, adding the study is the first of its kind.

"Outdoor skating, particularly hockey, is synonymous with Canadian culture. I think there's big cultural ramification to this as well."

But Justin Beaulieu of Lower Sackville, N.S., said losing outdoor skating rinks is a small casualty in the grand scheme of climate change.

"There's a lot more than skating that we have to worry about with climate change," said the 39-year-old who was enjoying his Sunday on the ice at an outdoor rink in Halifax, N.S.

"It's the big picture. We have a lot more to worry about."

In order to ensure Canada's future hockey stars will have access to backyard rinks, the country must tackle reducing greenhouse gases, the experts agree.

Since 1950, winter temperatures in Canada have increased by more than 2.5 C - three times the globally-averaged warming attributed to global warming caused by human activity, a news release from the publisher said.

Mysak said the study began as a 2011 thesis by McGill masters student Nikolay Damyanov.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

NHLers helping to end homophobia in hockey

Canadian Press, 04/03/2012

First, it's Rick Nash. Then Duncan Keith, Brian Boyle, Matt Moulson, Joffrey Lupul, Claude Giroux, Daniel Alfredsson, Scott Hartnell, Corey Perry, Andy Greene, Dion Phaneuf and Henrik Lundqvist.

As each of the NHL players repeats a simple message in a powerful public service announcement released Sunday, they add their voice to a growing movement aimed at creating a level playing field in the sport, regardless of sexual orientation.

It's the brainchild of Patrick Burke, a scout for the Philadelphia Flyers and the son of Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke. He created the "You Can Play" project to help eliminate the homophobic culture found in some corners of hockey.

In doing so, he called on powerful allies to help get the message across - and more than 30 NHL players responded by taping spots that will air throughout the remainder of the season.

"The messages are very simple, yet meaningful," Patrick Burke said in an interview. "It's variations of the idea that all they care about is winning, all they care about is having the best teammates and it doesn't matter if the best teammate happens to be gay or straight.

"That plays no role in whether or not they would accept their teammate and that they would all be welcoming and supportive of an openly gay teammate."

For Burke, the cause is close to his heart. His late brother, Brendan, made headlines when he came out publicly in November 2009 while serving as the manager of Miami of Ohio University's hockey team.

Brendan Burke was killed in a February 2010 car crash at age 21, leaving the family to carry on his legacy. Brian Burke has been active in gay rights initiatives around Toronto and marches annually in the city's gay pride parade, while Patrick founded the "You Can Play" project along with Brian Kitts and Glenn Witman, who run a Denver-based gay hockey team called GForce.

In its mission statement, the "You Can Play" project says it aims to ensure "equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation."

That ideal comes directly from conversations Patrick Burke had with his late brother.

"When Brendan came out it didn't change anything between me and him," said Patrick. "It turned into a great moment for us, a great bonding moment for our family because when something like that happens when you're not expecting it, you have to evaluate: 'What do I look for in a brother? What do I look for in a friend?'

"We had a very open relationship where I asked him a lot of questions because I didn't know anything. ... And hearing some of the stories that young LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) athletes face really touched me and made we want to do something in Brendan's honour to help those kids."

The Burkes reached out to all 30 NHL teams in an effort to get support from players and received a strong response. Eight of them taped spots during the all-star game in Ottawa.

The first PSA - dubbed "The Faceoff" - debuted on NBC during Sunday afternoon's game of the week between the Bruins and Rangers. Others will be rolled out over time.

"I am grateful to the NHL community for their support (and) acceptance," Brian Burke wrote on Twitter over the weekend.

Hockey has yet to have an athlete come out and declare that he's gay. Patrick Burke is optimistic the day is coming - "statistically, we have gay players in the NHL," he said - and thinks it will not only serve to help that individual but also a large group of young players in need of a role model.

The issue has received a growing amount of attention. Former New York Rangers forward Sean Avery appeared in an ad supporting gay marriage last year and a big wave of players have added their support with Patrick Burke's new initiative.

It's a big testament to his brother's legacy.

"I think the biggest thing Brendan did in the hockey community - both in the NHL and lower levels - is that he got people talking about the issue," said Patrick. "For a lot of people that aren't familiar with LGBT issues, it's kind of an uncomfortable conversation to bring up at times. What Brendan did when he first came out, he gave a lot of people a reason to talk, a reason to ask questions, a reason to find out more about LGBT issues in sports.

"So I think he made a huge impact. I'm not sure it's something that we could ever really measure, but I know this project wouldn't be here without him."

---

The public service announcements can be viewed at http://youcanplayproject.org/

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Cherry drops another bomb on Burke: Battle over Ontario gets heated

Joe Warmington, QMI Agency, March 3 2012

Forget the Battle of Ontario. This is the battle for Ontario.

And it’s a barn burner.

An old fashioned donnybrook, in fact.

“You want to get me off? You want to take me on?” Don Cherry said of Leafs General Manager Brian Burke on Coach’s Corner Saturday night. “Two years ago you said you were going to do something to me in the playoffs. Remember that? And I said, ‘Oh Brian Burke I’m shaking in my boots. I’m shaking right now. Do your best.’”

Another Cherry bomb.

For Grapes, the battle stems from the fact that the Toronto Maple Leafs do not have one player from Ontario currently on the roster.

For GM Burke, a loud and bombastic failure so far in his first three years at the helm despite tens of millions spent, it may end up being a battle to keep his job.

It’s a heavyweight prize fight.

Perhaps Burke can “rent a barn” at Riverdale Farms, like he suggested he wanted to do to settle a heated grudge match he had a few years back with Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe?

The problem is — as fighting goes — Cherry had 1,343 professional penalty minutes over 16 years in the minor leagues where Burke had 60 penalty minutes in just one season.

Their first two rounds were hot. The third round is steaming.

In January, Burke admitted he had “quietly and professionally” gone to Cherry’s CBC superiors to complain about what he called “vicious and cutting” attacks during Coach’s Corner against his coach and players.

Cherry took exception to him going “behind my back” — saying it’s “quite obvious” Brian is “trying to deflect from his team’s performance missing the playoffs three years running at my expense and to be a hero to his players at my expense.”

The temperature rose a few more degrees Saturday when Cherry called out Burke for both his lack of Ontario players and his going after his job.

“Here is what kills me,” Cherry said. “Burke goes to my bosses and says I am a bad guy because I said something vicious about his coach; two weeks later he fires him? Figure that one out folks!”

But it was the surprising fact that there are currently no Ontario players being iced that was one right to the kisser of American-born, dual-citizen Burke.

“Every team in the National Hockey League has a guy from Ontario except one. Guess who it is? It’s Ontario’s Toronto Maple Leafs,” said Grapes. “Now if you want American college guys; if you want Americans you got the team.”

As a Maple Leafs season ticket holder, Cherry said “we pay his salary from Ontario” and to “not make the playoffs for three years in a row, probably not four and not have one guy from Ontario is a crime as far as I am concerned.”

Forget the barn. To the woodshed.

Self described “vindictive” but other times big-hearted Burke did not seem to respond Sunday — fresh off his first win in a month with his new, Ontario-born, coach Randy Carlyle. He eventually patched up the feud with Lowe without any barn rental and will likely have no choice but to do the same with Cherry since going behind a guy’s back for his job in hockey is not honourable.

Even though Burke’s defenders say he has drafted, and his developing many Ontario players, his detractors say Ontario players like Nazem Kadri and Mike Zigomanis should be in the lineup now instead of overpaid and under-achieving team members who are not from these parts.

The bench-clearing brawl that ensued has gone viral.

“I thought Don was superb,” said former Toronto Sun hockey columnist and Hockey Night in Canada commentator Al Strachan. “For the most part, the Toronto media corps, that is supposed to be so demanding, has given Burke — or “Burkie” as they almost universally call him — a free ride. His inconsistencies are ignored; his gaffes are written off; his arrogance is forgiven and his general ill temper is accepted as a somehow acceptable personality trait.”

Strachan added Burke “has had great success browbeating the superiors of those who disagree with him and (allegedly) getting them fired but he tried it once too often when he went after Cherry. Unfortunately, very few in the Toronto media have had the fortitude to examine what Burke really is and to stand up to him. Don did that on Saturday night and it was great to watch.”

And every hockey fan certainly loves to watch a good tussle between two heavyweights.

There’s enough material develop a third CBC life and times movie where Jared Keeso does have excellent job of playing Grapes. But who is going to play Burke.

-----

CBC about to pay for Don Cherry’s criticism of NHL?

BRUCE DOWBIGGIN, Globe and Mail, Mar. 04, 2012

Journalism makes strange bedfellows. Don Cherry’s polemic Saturday on Coach’s Corner about Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke allegedly attempting to have him fired is one of those moments.

Cherry has the right to expect editorial freedom from the league that he covers. As much as we’ve disagreed with him, we support Cherry if a team executive tries to have him fired for taking positions contrary to the party line at the Air Canada Centre. Yes, strange bedfellows.

So long as he’s accurate, Cherry’s entitled to make a public show of his opinions, no matter how he’s dressed, no matter how over the top his delivery. (It’s up to CBC, not Cherry, to provide balance in its coverage.)

Trying to intimidate the press is nothing new for Burke. He has attempted, successfully at times, to silence his critics in media positions by going to their bosses with his complaints. We’re waiting for the moment when his new employers at Rogers and Bell must choose between Burke and one of their radio, TV or print employees who’ve irritated the Maple Leafs’ GM. For now, the friction point is between Burke and CBC, partners in the NHL national broadcast rights in Canada.

Which leads us to the other issue raised by Cherry’s bombast: What’s an acceptable level of criticism from a host broadcaster?

Cherry tailored the facts on Saturday about Burke trying to have him fired. It’s not simply the Maple Leafs who are carrying a grudge over his flamboyant and persistent criticisms of the NHL and its product. When CBC executives made a pilgrimage to the NHL board of governors, they were rudely greeted by criticism of Cherry and MacLean from the Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks, whose complaints about biased coverage and editorial failings have been voiced on other occasions.

The league, too, has been less than enthusiastic about Cherry’s demeaning of the new rules, discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, and the refereeing. Commissioner Gary Bettman appears to be boycotting Hockey Night in Canada after several contentious interviews with MacLean. Some of this is predictable, of course. As the expression goes, journalism’s goal is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

But it is becoming clear that CBC may pay a price for countenancing the Ron ’n’ Don agenda of old-time values. NHL officials would not comment publicly on whether the pair would be an impediment to CBC retaining all or some of the next national TV rights package in Canada, which begin in 2014. But the sentiment in the league office seems to be, can anyone imagine the NFL’s broadcast partners being as constantly critical of the game, its officials, clubs, league and, particularly, the commissioner as Cherry/MacLean have been?

This became toxic this year when Cherry mocked the league’s disciplinary department and referees. While it doesn’t want to censor its broadcaster, the league does feel it could stand a little love once in a while from the stars of its Canadian partner.

Jeffrey Orridge, CBC vice-president of sports properties, told Usual Suspects that CBC would not publicly discuss the issue of whether Cherry/MacLean could cost them HNIC. But we have learned that HNIC and CBC employees are concerned that the personal agenda of the Coach’s Corner pair is jeopardizing the future of the show on CBC.

There is a feeling that Cherry/MacLean dominate editorial content on the show, and the content is no longer acceptable to a league that wants to emphasize speed and skill at the expense of grittiness and fighting. Some feel that Cherry, facing retirement, is looking to go out on his shield by picking a fight with the suits of the league for the soul of the sport.

The 77-year-old Cherry says he is on an annual contract with CBC. MacLean has two more years on his deal. Some think it’s time they moved on. Removing either or both this summer from HNIC would be a tricky public relations move for CBC, which is already under fire from both political and broadcast critics. For a corporation facing financial challenges in the next year, the advertising revenues from HNIC are crucial. Losing them, a disaster.

Can CBC retain both HNIC’s revenues and Cherry/MacLean? We may be about to find out.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

OHL centre pressed into goalie duty in 13-4 loss: GM apologizes for 'embarrassment to the league'

CBC Sports, Mar 5, 2012

Erie Otters centre Connor Crisp had a game he likely never would have predicted, donning the pads Sunday in a 13-4 loss to the Niagara Ice Dogs.

Crisp, 17, switched positions when starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov was taken out of the game just two minutes in after a collision with Niagara forward Alex Friesen.

Veteran OHL executive Sherry Bassin, the Otters general manager, has apologized for not having a backup netminder at the ready.

'Well, I’m a road hockey goalie, ball hockey goalie, but that’s the first time I’ve put on goalie equipment and played on ice since I was 5 years old'—Emergency 'goalie' Connor Crisp

The team's other netminder, Devin Williams, was hurt Friday night in a loss to Saginaw.

"Late last night, our backup goaltender [Williams] failed a concussion test," Bassin told the team's website. "I looked at our alternatives; one of our goaltenders [Adam Wood] was playing in the Ontario Junior C Championships, the other [Corey Foster] in the Midget Ontario Championships. I studied our alternatives based on the 2,000 or so games I've been involved in.

"This turned out to be a bad decision. I accept full responsibility and apologize publicly for the embarrassment to the league and the sport of hockey that I love. I have deep respect for our league and sport."

Crisp finished with 32 saves and was named the game's first star but was clearly in tough against the Central Division leading Ice Dogs.

"Well, I’m a road hockey goalie, ball hockey goalie, but that’s the first time I’ve put on goalie equipment and played on ice since I was 5 years old," Crisp told The Canadian Press.

Ryan Strome, who played for Canada at the world juniors and is usually known as more of a setup man, scored five goals for Niagara.

While some might question why a player of Strome's calibre was still getting ice time well into the third period of a rout, Ice Dogs owner Bill Burke felt it was Erie who needed to apologize for their goaltending lapse.

"It's brutal. I don’t know how you can come to the game without a backup goalie," Burke told Bernie Puchalski of the St. Catharines Standard.

Burke said the Otters had nearly two days to find a goalie after the injury to Williams.

The OHL does not require teams to have a backup to dress.

Erie has a league-worst 10 wins in 62 games.

The Ice Dogs, meanwhile, scored a total of 24 goals in a successful two-game weekend.

-----

Otters forward plays goal in 13-4 loss

The Canadian Press, Mar 4

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - It was a game Connor Crisp will never forget. After allowing 13 goals on 46 shots for the Erie Otters on Sunday, he was named the first star.

The 17-year-old centre was never supposed to play net, but he got pressed into action as an emergency replacement when starting goalie Ramis Sadikov was injured in the opening minutes of a 13-4 victory by the Niagara IceDogs.

"Well, I'm a road hockey goalie, ball hockey goalie, but that's the first time I've put on goalie equipment and played on ice since I was five years old," said Crisp.

The Otters dressed only one goaltender after backup Devin Williams suffered a head injury earlier this weekend in a game against Saginaw. Sadikov was knocked out just 1:45 into Sunday's game after a collision with IceDogs forward Alex Friesen, who received a five-minute major for charging and a game-misconduct on the play.

With no backup on the bench the Otters had a choice — dress a player for the rest of the game, or forfeit.

Enter Crisp, who hadn't played in a single game this season after undergoing shoulder surgery. He had been designated as the backup goalie prior to the game, but said "not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be playing today."

Following a 20-minute delay while he donned goaltender equipment, Crisp stepped onto the ice and almost slipped, then fell while taking warmup shots — much to the appreciation of the Niagara fans.

"My feet are still cramped, I can hardly walk right now," said Crisp. "Rammer's skates were three times too small and not wide enough, that's probably why I couldn't skate."

The fans' admiration would soon grow.

Crisp made six saves in the first period, 12 in the second and 14 more in the third period, which culminated with a standing ovation from the crowd and first star honours.

"It was appreciated so much — beyond words," he said. "Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can't say enough about how fun and classy that was today."

Ryan Strome led the Niagara (42-17-3) attack with five goals and one assist, while Freddie Hamilton had one goal and five assists. Jesse Graham, Tom Kuhnhackl and Dougie Hamilton all added three assists in the win.

Stephan Harper and Sondre Olden both had one goal and two assists each for Erie (10-46-6). Jake Evan and Luke Cairns had the other Otters goals.

Former Otters goalie Chris Festarini made 36 stops to pick up the win for Niagara.

But it was the losing goalie who fans will remember. Crisp didn't have any family at the rink, but he said they knew what was happening.

"As soon I got on the bus I called my parents and as soon as they picked up the phone they were laughing.

"It's definitely something I will never forget."

-----

Erie Otters’ Connor Crisp, after not playing all season, gets his 58 minutes of fame by going into OHL game in as an emergency goalie

Neate Sager | Buzzing The Net, Yahoo! Sports, March, 4 2012

Erie Otters centre Connor Crisp playing goal after his team's only netminder was injured

Of all the ways to return after nearly missing an entire season.

Imagine a chart-topping band needing to use a fan who's really good at Rock Band as their drummer. Or a NFL team putting an offensive lineman under centre after running out of healthy quarterbacks. Then you would have some idea of what happened in St. Catharines, Ont., on Sunday after the Erie Otters' only available goalie, Ramis Sadikov, was injured after being run by a Niagara IceDogs opponent just two minutes into the game.

With their other goaltender, Devin Williams, sitting out with a head injury he suffered two days earlier, centre Connor Crisp was drafted to go in goal. Crisp, gamely jamming his wide double-E feet into Sadikov's narrow goalie skates ("my coach said if I wore player skates, I'd break my foot"), allowed 13 goals on 45 shots in a 13-4 loss to Niagara. IceDogs management was hardly amused, with owner Bill Burke calling it "brutal" that the last-place Otters did not dress a backup goalie. But no one could fault Crisp for taking one for the team. His valiant effort led to him being named the game's first star and a trending topic on Twitter, with some joking that the goalie-deficient Toronto Maple Leafs should draft him.

"On Saturday they told me I was coming on the road and that I would be the backup goalie," Crisp, who just resumed full-contact practices with the Ontario Hockey League team and was itching to get in a game, said from the Otters' team bus. "Me and the guys were laughing about it on the bus coming up. Then just after warmups, Mikey [Hildenbrand], our equipment manager, made up a jersey for me.

"The next thing I know I'm skating out to centre. It was funny at first and then it just escalated from there."

Crisp had just found a spot to watch the game when Niagara's Alex Friesen barreled into Sadikov 1:45 into the contest. While Sadikov received medical attention, Crisp's cell phone buzzed. Before he knew it, he was donning Sadikov's gear, including his Popeye-motif goalie mask, to face one of the highest-scoring teams in junior hockey. The IceDogs have four skaters who were on Team Canada at the world junior hockey championship, including New York Islanders first-rounder pick Ryan Strome, who ended up scoring five goals. Conversely, the Otters are in last place.

Erie Otters goalie Ramis Sadikov"I was just hanging out in the stands and I saw Rammer [Sadikov] got run and I got a call from [Otters assistant general manager] Dave Brown saying, 'Are you ready?' " Crisp said. "I was like, 'Seriously?' And he says, 'Oh no, I think he'll be fine." And the next thing I know he's being helped off the ice.

"I pretty much sprinted to the change room and started gearing down. [Coach] Robbie [Ftorek] walked in and I asked, 'Am I going in?' He said, 'We need a goalie.' I've never been dressed up as a goalie before. I had no idea what I was doing. I had [teammate] Dane Fox strapping one pad on, our equipment manager doing up the other one, the goalie coach telling me what to do. It was a hectic 15 minutes of getting dressed. I've never been so nervous in my life.

"As soon as I got the nod from the coach, I was like, 'Jesus, this is becoming so real right now.' As soon as I stepped on the ice and could barely skate at first with the goalie skates on, I was thinking this could be a long day."

Once play resumed after a 20-minute delay, the IceDogs scored on their first three shots against him and seemed to ease off the throttle. There were a couple of 3-on-2 rushes when Strome, one of the best attackers in junior hockey, seemed to very slowly bring the puck over centre ice before passing off as he entered the Erie zone. However, the Otters were only down a goal after the first period. Realizing they couldn't lay back, Niagara came out harder in the second period and soon enough, the score mounted. The IceDogs players declined to raise their sticks after scoring.

Trended on Twitter

Meantime, Crisp became a hot social media topic as hockey fans buzzed about the oddity of a skater being conscripted as a goaltender. Meantime, other junior hockey players shared their solidarity. Lethbridge Hurricanes captain Brody Sutter was envious ("The things I would do to play goalie for a game"). Kamloops Blazers star defenceman Austin Madaisky called Crisp his hero.

"I don't have Twitter, but all the guys were really excited and telling me about it," the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Crisp said. "I thought that was pretty cool once they explained to me what trending meant. It was a pretty cool experience overall.

"I had a ton of of texts when I checked my phone after the game," the 17-year-old native of Alliston, Ont., added. "My parents [Sheila and Steve Crisp] loved it. They went over to a friend's house to watch the game when they heard when I was in goal and when I called them they were cracking up about it."

Understandably, Crisp, who told The Canadian Press he had only been a goalie in road hockey, let in a few goals on shots he would have liked to have back. Granted, the IceDogs' complaints about Erie not having a second goalie might ring truer if first-liners Strome and Freddie Hamilton had not been on the ice to score the final goal with less than four minutes to play. After the IceDogs reached double digits, TV Cogeco Ontario commentator Ed Burkholder expressed sympathy for Crisp by saying, "He must feel like his pants are down in front of 3,000 people."

Standing O

Crisp got a standing ovation at game's end. IceDogs players skated over and tapped his pads, while the Niagara goalies, Chris Festarini and Mark Visentin, came over and offered some compliments. Crisp, actually sounding no worse for wear, credited his teammates for playing hard in a no-win situation.

"[Adam] Pelech and [Troy] Donnay were blocking shots left, right and centre," he said. "The guys were behind me 100 per cent. It got embarrassing at points and you feel like you're letting the guys down and hurting their statistics. I know Pelech took a hard one off the ankle and is in a lot of pain right now.

"I have so much respect for goalies now. By the end of the second period my feet were just killing me."

A pro team which is hard up for a goalie can usually find a local amateur netminder. For instance, in 2008, the Washington Capitals dressed their website producer, Brett Leonhardt, a former NCAA Division III 'tender, for a game. Some Canadian NHL teams have called upon a goalie from a local university squad.

A major junior team has to find someone available who is 16 to 20 years old, not engaged with her/his current team and not planning on playing at a U.S. college. Dressing for one Canadian Hockey League game means forfeiting NCAA eligibility. But as much as this is something that has not happened in many years, it's probably something that shouldn't happen again. This was actually the second time this year the Otters have had only goalie suited up.

"I'm sure the league is going to think of something that you have to have a backup goalie or at least one on standby," Crisp said.

Meantime, come Monday it's back to the business of trying to crack the lineup at his full-time position. Crisp said his shoulder held up well.

"Everything felt great when I was out there in goal, so I imagine it will when I get in there as a skater," he said.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

From IIHF.COM

2012 IIHF INTERNATIONAL YOUTH COACHING SYMPOSIUM, HELSINKI, FINLAND

The 2012 IIHF International Youth Coaching Symposium will take place May 4-6, 2012 during the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Helsinki, Finland. The seminar is organized by International Ice Hockey Federation, together with Finnish Ice Hockey Association, World Championship Organizing Committee, and International Ice Hockey Centre of Excellence.

The themes of the seminar are based on the fundamentals of Finnish ice hockey – Game sense, Character, and Skating. The seminar, aimed at youth coaches, will also cover the subjects of talent, learning, and teaching. These themes are examined by Finnish and international top speakers such as talent researcher Kari Uusikylä, former scout and executive vice president of St. Louis Blues and current CEO of Jokerit; Jarmo Kekäläinen, and Tommi Pärmäkoski, a trainer of F1 driver Sebastian Vettel.

Dates May 4-6, 2012
Location Sokos Hotel Presidentti (auditorium), Helsinki
Price 325€ (excluding accommodation)

Price includes:
- Seminar lectures
- Access to seminar materials in the Hockey Centre website
- Participants material package
- Lunch and coffee during the seminar days
- BLR-FIN game shown in the night club of Sokos Hotel Presidentti
- Tickets to the World Championship games CAN-USA, FIN-SVK, SUI-BLR in Hartwall Arena

2012 IIHF INTERNATIONAL COACHING SYMPOSIUM, HELSINKI, FINLAND MAY 11-13

The 2012 IIHF International Coaching Symposium will take place May 11-13, 2012 during the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Helsinki, Finland. The seminar is organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation, together with the Finnish Ice Hockey Association, World Championship Organizing Committee, and the International Ice Hockey Centre of Excellence.

The themes of the seminar are based on the fundamentals of Finnish ice hockey – Game sense, Character, and Skating. The seminar has several international and Finnish coaches to presenting their view on the themes. One of the top names is Mr. Aki Hintsa, former head doctor of Finnish Olympic Committee now working with conditioning of the Formula 1 drivers at McLaren.

Dates 11-13.5.2012
Location Sokos Hotel Presidentti (auditorium), Helsinki
Price 395€ (excluding accommodation)

Price includes:
- Seminar lectures
- Access to seminar materials in the Hockey Centre website
- Participants material package
- Lunch and coffee during the seminar days
- FIN-USA game showed in the night club of Sokos Hotel Presidentti
- Tickets to the World Championship games of KAZ-USA, FIN-CAN, SUI-FRA, KAZ-CAN and SUI-SVK in Hartwall Arena

Accommodation

Seminar participants have an opportunity to reserve accommodation in Sokos Hotel Presidentti for the price of:

95€ for two nights in a double room
190€ for two nights in a single room

Sokos Hotel Presidentti is a busy congress hotel locating in Helsinki city centre. It is located just next to the Kamppi shopping center and only 5 minutes away from Helsinki main railway station, from where it takes only 10 minutes to get to the Harwall Arena.

Registration to seminar will open soon.

Kai

Sounds like some interesting topics. Most hockey seminars are the some old recycled crap, but the IIHF does it much better than those in North America (well, Canada anyways... can't comment on any USA clinics!) Unfortunately, I will be in Spokane at that time visiting family and participating in the Bloomsday 12k roadrace. I have been doing this since the early 1980's and only missed two of them (for World Championships). I am looking into the possibility of attending a TGfU conference north of London UK in the 2nd week of July. Would like to see if I could combine this with a side trip into Sweden or Finland for a couple of days - but only if I could hook up with Kai (or any other locals) to watch some practices / training sessions...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: THE FORUM, THE BATTLE OF QUEBEC AND THE SENATOR

KERRY FRASER, TSN.CA, 3/7/2012

Growing up in Ontario, both Kathy and I were Leafs fans (she's much more devout than I). The Canadiens were the hated arch-enemy. The Flying Frenchmen combined the speed and skill of Rocket Richard and his brother Henri (the Pocket Rocket), Jean Béliveau, Bernie Geoffrion, Yvan Cournoyer and Guy Lafleur with the toughness of John Ferguson and Ted Harris. Their defence corps boasted a seemingly endless supply of future Hall of Famers, from Doug Harvey and Butch Bouchard to Jacques Laperrière, Serge Savard, and Guy Lapointe...

Throughout their storied past, the Canadiens didn't just do business in a unique way, they espoused a philosophy of pride in the organization that every member was expected to live by. I could feel it in the air each time I entered the old Montreal Forum.

The Habs' fans were very demanding, expecting nothing less than a Stanley Cup every year. These high expectations were a by-product of the deep sense of pride that flowed both ways between the team and the community. A player walking into the Canadiens' dressing room for the first time would get an instant history lesson, as the walls were adorned with photographs and names of past players...

On May 1, 1985, I packed my bag early in the morning and headed off to the Sarnia Airport to catch a flight to Montreal... This was only the third time I had been assigned to the Stanley Cup playoffs, and the first time I had been chosen to work Game Seven of a divisional final series... This was The Battle of Quebec!...

Clashes between the Nordiques and Canadiens pitted the smaller provincial capital against the metropolis... Throughout the province, the media - particularly the competitive French-language newspapers in Quebec City and Montreal - were relentless in their coverage and would pull no punches in their pursuit of sensational headlines. On more than one occasion, I was advised by John McCauley [then Director of Officiating] to be very careful about what I did or said in public in either city. Even the officials were fair game!...

Both teams came to play, and there was none of the rough stuff that we might have anticipated. At the end of regulation time, it was all tied up at two... Once I dropped the puck to start the overtime, it didn't take long for the game and series to end...[Peter] Stastny pounced on the rebound, and Penney made another stop but still couldn't control the rebound. Stastny would make no mistake the second time, putting the game and series in his pocket at 2:22 of overtime...

I got caught in the crossfire between these two bitter rivals in Game Five of the Adams Division final on April 28, 1987. The Nordiques had stunned the Canadiens by taking the first two games in Montreal, while the Habs won the next two at Le Colisée. Late in the third period of the fifth game, with the score tied at two, I disallowed a goal by Alain Côté, and Nordiques coach Michel Bergeron was transformed from "Le Petit Tigre" into a roaring lion — or, depending on your perspective, a raving maniac. To this day, the thought or mention of that call causes Bergeron's already high blood pressure to boil out of control.

We had a rule, even back then, that a goalie should be allowed to stand in his crease and do what his job description entails—namely, to defend his net by stopping the puck without being interfered with. This was the premise that later led us to the ridiculous interpretation that a goal could not be counted if a player had his foot - even a toe - in the goal crease, or even on the goal line.

Players went hard to the net, and goalies such as Billy Smith and Ron Hextall had a technique for keeping their goal crease clear — and not the same one used by the "ice girls" on Long Island or in Philadelphia, who scrape away the debris during commercial timeouts. I made it clear to goalies that I would not allow them to be bumped, jostled, interfered with, or bodychecked when they were within the confines of their crease. On the other hand, if they decided to do their own housekeeping with their stick or any other appendage, I would penalize them accordingly. The arrangement worked extremely well.

It looked as though this game might continue for a while, since the game in Quebec two nights earlier had been sent to overtime with the exact same score. Montreal scored five and a half minutes into the extra period. When I saw Quebec's Paul Gillis attacking the net hard, with Mats Näslund of the Canadiens chasing him on the backcheck, I immediately recognized all the makings of trouble in the crease. Sure enough, Näslund gave Gillis a little bump from behind that Gillis took advantage of to speed right into the goal crease, where he made solid contact with the left side of Montreal goalkeeper Brian Hayward. Gillis was not content with that contact, however: he hooked his skate around the left skate and pad of Hayward while he applied pressure with his stick to the goalie's upper torso. Gillis then used his momentum and force to drag Hayward to the side of the goal crease and beyond.

Seeing this take place, it would most likely not have drawn a penalty or a reaction from anyone in those days, especially given the score and the time remaining. Unless, that is, there was a consequence to Paul Gillis's actions. Therein lies the problem. In the same instant that I saw Hayward being dragged out of the net, I also saw Côté ready to fire a shot from the high slot into the now-empty Montreal cage. Before the puck left Côté's stick, the whistle was in my mouth and I was blowing as hard as I could. The Nordiques' celebration was short lived as I waved off the goal and penalized Gillis for goaltender interference. I also gave Näslund a token interference penalty for his nudge on Gillis that triggered the events. The penalties were a wash, and I felt justice had been served.

With a faceoff in the Montreal end, the Nordiques seemed to be in shock. The Canadiens won the draw and marched down the ice. Guy Carbonneau set up Ryan Walter for the winning goal with 2:53 remaining. With his team down one goal, and certainly with enough time to score an equalizer, the very last thing I wanted to do was to give Bergie a bench penalty—or, worse yet, throw him out of the game. As Le Petit Tigre began to growl and bare his fangs, he was providing me with all the ammunition I would need to make such a call, but none would be forthcoming at this particular time. After the horn sounded, though, the fireworks started up in the hall outside our dressing room. Michel was out of his mind, his face so red I thought he was going to blow up. There was no sense pouring gasoline on an inferno, so Bob Hodges, Leon Stickle, and I made our way into our dressing room as Michel and his people were moved elsewhere...

[The next day] I was listening to radio station CHOK in Sarnia when it was reported that a lawsuit had been filed against Sarnia native and NHL referee Kerry Fraser by a group in Quebec claiming prejudice! I couldn't believe my ears. Wait a minute, I thought. I had just worked a game involving two teams from the province of Quebec, and I was being sued for prejudice? I called the NHL office in Toronto, got Jim Gregory on the line, and told him what I had just heard... He told me that, if served, I should just send the paperwork to New York and that the league would stand 100 per cent behind me. That was reassuring—for the time being.

When all three playoff series went to Game Seven, and I wasn't called on for any of them, I knew I was done for the year, even before John McCauley completed the unfortunate task of telling me. I know it was not something John relished doing...[Some time later] John told me that he got calls from all over the league on the Quebec ordeal and that I had many friends in very high places. He promised that someday he and I would sit down and he would let me in on all that had transpired. We never did have that conversation as John passed away after the 1989 Stanley Cup final in which Calgary beat the Canadiens in six games. I cherish the many moments that we got to spend together during his final series of life.

In the summer of 1987, I received a personal letter from Serge Savard, general manager of the Canadiens, along with a videotape with enhanced footage of the play. It clearly showed Paul Gillis hooking Hayward's skate and using his stick to drag him out of the crease, as I suggested had been the case. With the class that Serge Savard always demonstrates, he said it had taken courage to make that call and he thanked me for being able to put the game ahead of my own self-interest... Serge's letter came at a time when I felt alone and abandoned...

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

The NHL's most dangerous shooter

Luke Fox, Sportsnet.ca, March 6, 2012

For the life of him, Steven Stamkos couldn’t shoot the puck where he wanted it to go.

It was a moment rich in irony and humility.

The Tampa Bay Lightning forward says his skating and his shot are the cornerstones of his success, and yet when there was nothing to watch in the NHL world but its greatest sniper firing at close-range targets, Stamkos couldn’t perform.

Featured in the 2012 All-Star Skills Competition’s Accuracy Challenge, Stamkos’s job was to hit four bull’s-eyes placed in the corners of an empty net with in as few shots as possible. He failed, comically.

By shot number 12, he had resorted to one-timers and slap shots. And after 40 seconds and 17 shots of futility, Stamkos skated right up to the final target… and still missed.

It was a classic foot-in-mouth moment, and hands-down the least-accurate display of all-star accuracy.

“I’d like to try the accuracy. I think I could do well in that. There’s not too much involved in that,” the Lightning star, decked out in a grey plaid three-piece suit, said confidently prior to the 2012 All-Star Skills Competition in Ottawa.

But Stamkos had salvaged the moment by hamming it up and letting his personality flow almost as freely as his winged hockey hair.

One would assume -- judging by his lamp-lighting knack and not just his golden party-in-the-back -- that Stamkos emerged from the womb with the gift of an archer’s shot, that he was born to one-time cross-ice feeds and jam wristers under the crossbar. But that wasn’t the case.

“I never had a good shot as a kid. I was one of the smaller kids and was a good skater, but I could never really shoot,” the native of Markham, Ont., explains. “My dad took me to shooting school when I 12, 13 years old and started to develop that with a one-on-one instructor. I think my shot’s more accurate than hard. It’s something that I’ve worked extremely hard on over the years, and continue to work on.”
[/u]

If Stamkos, the lead’s leading goal scorer by a mile and a guy with a legit shot at 60 this year, continues to work on his shot, is it too much to ask for the NHL to work on developing Stamkos as a face of the league?

While the league once pinned its marketing strategy on the Sidney Crosby-Alex Ovechkin rivalry, there is now room for expansion. The wonder that is Evgeni Malkin deserves all the attention he gets, but so many of the NHL’s storylines this year have focused on coaching changes and non-trades and the saga that is Crosby’s health.

Would the incredible wintertime feats of an Ontario wonder (Don Cherry approved!) be so overlooked if Stamkos didn’t play in region where Canadians migrate to in order to escape wintertime?

“For me personally, every time I come to a Canadian city, I feel that buzz and I remember what it was like growing up here in Canada and watching your idols play hockey,” Stamkos says.

Whether or not he or the league is ready to admit it, Stamkos is the idol now. He’ll be the first to 50 this season. And kids in chillier climes than Tampa Bay ought to be watching more than just the middle-of-the-show highlight packs doled out to a middling southeast franchise.

If the last three seasons were one giant goal-scoring race, Stamkos would be Usain Bolt -- the gap between him and the pack is that airy. During that span, No. 91 has racked up 143 goals. Corey Perry trails with 110, and Alex Ovechkin has 108. (Granted, a couple of emperor Penguins have had their march halted by injury.)

In 65 games this season, Stamkos has already scored 47 goals, surpassing the 45 goals he registered in 82 matches last season. The centreman is in great position to eclipse his personal bests in goals (51) and points (95), which were both set in 2009-10. As of early February, when Stamkos notched a goal against the L.A. Kings, he has now scored at least one goal against all other 29 NHL teams. With his recent accelerated scoring pace, Stamkos has widened the margin between himself and the NHL’s second-most-productive sniper, Malkin (38 goals), to nine red lights. As of Monday morning, the two were knotted atop the Art Ross Trophy race with 80 points apiece, although a tie would go to the man with more goals.

Remarkably, Stamkos only ranks 12th in power-play goals and 14th in power-play points, meaning he’s getting it done the hard way; his gaudy numbers aren’t padded by man-advantage markers. He does, however, share the NHL lead in game-winners (with Phoenix’s Radim Vrbata and Detroit’s Johan Franzen) at 10. So he’s clutch, too.

Even more impressive is that Stamkos has posted a career-best plus-8 rating (even during his 95-point season, Stamkos was a minus-2 player) for a team with a minus-35 goal differential that would miss the playoffs if they started today.

Although Tampa Bay has won its last four games, the team ranks four points behind the Winnipeg Jets for the hotly contested eighth seed in the East. Stamkos admits that the Lightning’s 2011-12 campaign has been an inconsistent one.

“We’re starting to get things rolling, so hopefully we can stay the course. You look at the standings, and guys are still believing. We play a lot of the teams that are ahead of us, so the ball is in our court. We have to realize what’s at stake,” Stamkos says. “Hopefully the experience we had last year in that playoff stretch can help us. It’s gonna be a fight. Hopefully we can slide under the radar and play well.”

Stamkos knows how to play well. He played well enough in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association to be drafted first overall into the Ontario Hockey League, where he scored 100 goals in two seasons with the Sarnia Sting, which in turn was well enough to earn first-overall NHL Entry Draft honours in 2008. He waited only until his sophomore year in the bigs to score 51 goals and co-win the Maurice Richard Trophy (with Sidney Crosby), award to the NHL’s top goal-getter.

But like a Pulitzer-winning scribe who suffers from bouts of writer’s block, Stamkos has drawn blanks, too. Last season, he jumped out of the gates at a silly pace, scoring 19 goals in his first 19 games. Hockey writers began murmuring about 50 in 50. Following the all-star break, however, it was as if Stamkos withdrew his pen midsentence. In his last 30 games of 2010-11, he scored just seven times and finished with “only” 45.

“I just want to stay consistent—that’s what every player strives for. You look at the best players in the league, and they’re considered that because they play consistent, game in and game out,” he says. “That’s something I struggled with the latter part of last year, and I learned a lot about myself. I matured as a person and player because of that. I hope I can keep it up and help my team win.”

Although he has 19 more points than Martin St. Louis this season and 34 more than Vincent Lecavalier (to be fair, Stamkos has played more games), Stamkos defers to the captain and the assistant: “(Marty) and Vinny are our leaders, and we follow those guys.” He also sticks up for Tampa Bay netminders Mathieu Garon and Dwayne Roloson, who have been pegged as the reason the Lightning are on the outside looking in.

“Everyone likes to point fingers at the goaltending situation, and I’m sure they’d like to have a couple games back, but our defensive play as a team wasn’t that great. We talked about it a couple weeks ago, and we’ve improved dramatically,” Stamkos says. “You can’t give teams two- or three-goal leads and expect to come back. We’ve established what we need to work on, and I think we’ve done that in the past couple weeks.”

Here’s an already elite player who’s improving his game both offensively and defensively, and he brings the attitude a coach would love. P.S.: The guy just turned 22 last month, making him three years younger than Malkin, two years younger than Claude Giroux, and six years younger than Jason Spezza. In all likelihood, Stamkos’s best statistical year is still ahead of him. Jealous yet?

Despite the brilliant year Stamkos is having, and despite the wealth of veteran talent Tampa Bay boasts up front with St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Ryan Malone, the Lightning as a team have scored 184 goals total this season, the same tally as the notoriously defence-first Nashville Predators.

When we spoke to offensive-minded NHL legend Paul Coffey in December, he criticized Lightning coach Guy Boucher’s tactics, saying the Lightning forwards should be let loose to attack more frequently.

“Are you kidding me? The attitude should be, if they score seven, let’s go score eight,” Coffey said.

Stamkos believes the trap system that his team operates occasionally has drawn an inordinate amount of attention, particularly because of a 2011 game against the Philadelphia Flyers in which Tampa refused to forecheck and the Flyers’ defencemen refused to advance the puck.

“Obviously you’d love to score as many goals as you can, but that’s not the style of hockey that’s being played now. Twenty years ago, it was a lot more wide open. You see how good goalies are now, and you see how systems are implemented in the game. I think people get caught up in us playing the 1-3-1, and that got talked a lot about with us playing the Philly game this year, but I don’t think we play it as much as some other teams in the league,” he says.

“We only play it when we’re up a goal or we need to protect a lead. If not, we have a lot of speed on our team and we like to utilize it. For the people that see us play on a regular basis, they know we don’t always play that style, but it gets overlooked sometimes.”

And that’s coming from a guy who knows a thing or two about being overlooked.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Tigers play-by-play man Ridley to call No. 3,000:
He's also driven the team bus on the majority of their trips - all told, a 'pretty incredible' feat, says Flames play-caller Maher

Kristen Odland, Calgary Herald With Files From Scott Cruickshank, March 6, 2012

When Bob Ridley hits the Chat 94.5 airwaves Wednesday as the Medicine Hat Tigers take on the Kootenay Ice, it'll mark his 3,000th game broadcasting Western Hockey League action.

"It's been awesome," said Ridley, who will be honoured in a pre-game ceremony. "The reason is it's been like one big family. I just feel so very, very fortunate to have been involved for so long. I've been getting texts and e-mails and phone calls from numerous players for the Tigers over the years. It's really, really special for myself, my family, and the Tigers and everybody that's been involved."

In the past few days, Ridley has heard from former Tigers coach Willie Desjardins and former players like Dean Chynoweth, now a coach with the New York Islanders, Dallas Stars forward Vern Fiddler, Clarke MacArthur of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Darren Helm of the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman Kris Russell, to name a few.

"It goes on and on," Ridley said. "I feel very proud of it.

"It's incredible how quickly time has gone by. When I started back in 1970, I never thought I'd see 3,000 games, that's for sure. But here it is."

And, from one voice to another, Peter Maher can relate. However, the longtime play-caller of the Calgary Flames, who recently celebrated his own 3,000th game behind the microphone, believes Ridley's milestone might have been tougher to accomplish.

On top of calling all of the Tigers' WHL games, Ridley has driven the team bus on the majority of their trips during his career - and, at 67 years old, he is still occasionally behind the wheel.

"I would say, his calling 3,000 games have been a whole lot more of a rigour than my 3,000 games," Maher said. "Even if he didn't drive the bus, just busing to all those games all over the place would be a real chore."

Like, for example, the trek from Medicine Hat to Prince George for a pair of games, then on to Vancouver - which was the club's most recent road trip.

"It's a real tribute to his stamina and his abilities to be able to travel as much as they do and broadcast all those games," Maher said.

"And driving the bus on top of all that? I can't comprehend doing what he's done.

"Pretty incredible."

Since the Tigers joined the WHL in the 1970-71 season, Ridley has been the team's only play-by-play broadcaster. And, amazingly enough, after nearly 42 campaigns, the Drumheller native has only missed one game - not because he was sick, either. He had to cover a national women's curling event, which his boss's wife was competing in.

Calgary Flames defenceman and former Tiger Jay Bouwmeester said Ridley is a fixture around the team.

"He's been the glue there - the one thing that never changes," he said. "Some of those long trips, you don't realize the time that he puts in. When you think about it, he's announcing the game, then driving the bus and you're at the back sleeping - and taking for granted what he's doing."

Bouwmeester arrived in Medicine Hat just shy of his 16th birthday and appreciated Ridley's friendly face.

"When you're a young kid like that - and you go off and you're away from your parents and family for the first time - to have a guy around like that? He's almost like a grandpa," he said. "He's just there to support everyone. He's so friendly. As the generations go by, not much changes. He's always open to the kids. He's got a lot of knowledge.

"He can share a lot of things. A really neat guy. An awesome guy."

The sentiments were shared on the Twitterverse when word got out that Ridley would be celebrating the milestone soon.

In fact, a few Twitter followers started a hashtag (#putbobridleyinthehhof), informally petitioning his inclusion in the Hockey Hall of Fame (he was inducted into the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 2000).

Maher likes the idea. "I'm going to bring that up with the broadcasters group for the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award (which Maher won himself in 2006)," he said. "He'd be a really worthy recipient."

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Grabovski's deal fair for both sides + 30 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman, CBC Sports, March 6, 2012

Wrote about this a little bit last week, but with Mikhail Grabovski re-signing for $27.5 million US over five years (a $5.5 million cap hit), it bears further investigation.

Clearly, I'm in the minority on this one. It's a fair deal for both player and team. But, there are plenty who disagree, saying the figure is too high for someone with a career-best 58 points.

The Toronto Maple Leafs believed the fairest comparable was Tomas Plekanec, who signed a six-year, $30 million deal in 2010. Grabovski gets a little bit more, and with that will come expectation to perform to a higher level. If last Saturday's game was any indication, Randy Carlyle will lean on him to do just that.

The real question is: What would it cost to replace him?

It's the same thing Edmonton Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini asked about Ales Hemsky and Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford asked about Tuomo Ruutu.

The Maple Leafs are not strong down the middle. Grabovski is their best offensive option, even if he doesn't technically hold down the No. 1 spot. (He does need to become a better faceoff man.) Even with him, they're going to have to look for someone else. If he walks as an unrestricted free agent, exactly how does Toronto replace that?

There is one potential free-agent centre outscoring Grabovski this season (two if you want to play Zach Parise full-time at that position). It is Olli Jokinen, who is six years older. Even if, for argument's sake, you let Grabovski walk and signed Jokinen, you're still in the same position, at least one centre short. Plus, with so few potential free-agent options, it's probably going to cost you a similar amount.

Of course, there's the worse-case scenario of letting Grabovski walk and not being able to sign Jokinen or anyone else who can fill that position. Then where do you go? Trade? Anyone feel like giving up Jake Gardiner for the one impact centre you'll absolutely need to have? And who do you give up for the second one?

Leaf fans will argue there's Nazem Kadri or Joe Colborne coming down the pipe. You have to think that, if Leafs GM Brian Burke really thought one (or both) could give him more than Grabovski, negotiations would have gone differently.

Hemsky drives me crazy and I'm sure Carolina would like to see Ruutu spend a little less time wrapped in gauze. But both are 29 (Hemsky in August) and play important roles on franchises that have trouble attracting players.

"Better the Devil you know, than the one you don't," said one executive Tuesday morning when I asked about Grabovski. Funny, it's the same line I heard last week when talking about Ruutu.

Toronto knows what it has with Grabovski. Without him? Right now, no clue.

30 THOUGHTS

1. Think the Grabovski deal could have been done a week or two ago, but Burke probably wanted to see if he'd get a ridiculous offer.

2. Spent a lot of time over the past six days researching the Cody Hodgson/Zack Kassian deal. (As mentioned in last week's blog, have a "man-crush" on Hodgson's game.) It's tough to know the exact truth, because so many of the particulars didn't want to talk about it. Here's some of what's out there: First, there was some surprise the Canucks did it, as opponents figured they were going to make Hodgson the centrepiece of a "bigger" deal. (You're going to ask what that means. Can't give you any specifics, other than to say it would probably be for whatever Vancouver decided it needed after the season.)

3. Why did it get done now? When the Canucks were in Nashville, there was some kind of conversation between Hodgson and head coach Alain Vigneault. As reported on Hotstove, I'd heard it was about playing time. And, on a team where Cory Schneider (who is four years older) waits for his opportunity, Vancouver didn't want the distraction in what could be a Stanley Cup season.

4. Equal time: heard from a friend of Hodgson's who told me it was unfair to say that, "since only Hodgson and Vigneault know what was said." That is true, although I stand by my reporting. The same person also took issue with my comments that Hodgson had to tell "people around him to stop ... if you have interference, whether it's family or anybody else, you just have to say 'It's enough.'" Whatever the case, he's got a fantastic opportunity now. Hopefully, he reaches his vast potential.

5. Couple of teams did ask about Hodgson at the deadline. It's been reported that Dallas wanted him in exchange for Steve Ott. Toronto tried, too.

6. Vancouver "targeted" a few clubs that had the kind of player it wanted in exchange. Obviously, Buffalo was one (and Kassian was very high on the list). I believe the others were Carolina, Washington, Florida and one more I can't nail down. Don't know what the Canucks wanted from the Hurricanes. But, almost certain they asked for Brandon Sutter (can't see it, GM Jim Rutherford loves him) and an educated guess is the wanted Capital was young defenceman John Carlson.

7. Both Niklas Backstrom and Tuukka Rask went down with non-contact injuries last week. What if Josh Harding or Tim Thomas got hurt too? (Not every team has a Connor Crisp -- the Erie forward who strapped on the pads Sunday when the Ontario Hockey League team's lone goalie was injured.) Teams cannot use anyone with any professional experience in that situation. So, if you're Chuck Fletcher, what on Earth do you do on the road? Should the home team have a beer-league goalie in the crowd?

8. One Jet on Winnipeg's 7-0 win over Florida: "I'm not sure who was more surprised, us or them."

9. That crowd was unreal for the Buffalo/Winnipeg game. One GM said Winnipeg would make playoffs this year "because they'll go 41-0 at home." Laughed at that, but he had the right idea.

10. Thanks to Ken Hitchcock and Paul MacLean, Claude Noel has zero shot at the Jack Adams. But he's done a great job with the Northern Thrashers.

11. Dallas Eakins said that if he was Brian Burke, he would've hired Randy Carlyle, too. (He wants to follow Carlyle's path from AHL head coach to Stanley Cup champion.) But Eakins admitted to being disappointed because he wanted the job, badly. When asked if he discussed an assistant's job for next year, Eakins surprised me by saying he doesn't want it. "Already did that for two years (under Paul Maurice)," he said. He wants to make the decisions, to be in the hot seat. Would rather be an AHL head coach than an NHL assistant. His big-league time will come.

12. Toronto reporters were tweeting Monday about the length of Carlyle's practices. His former players say, "Get used to it." Unlike many coaches who regulate that, he is unafraid to skate guys hard the day before (or after) games.

13. You've heard a lot already about Carlyle's love for line-matching. Apparently, he is also an excellent in-game bench coach. One executive said it best: "He will determine who you play against. You will determine how much you play."

14. Look at Anaheim's last few seasons. In 2010-11, the ice-time drop from number 11 (Luca Sbisa) to 12 (Brett Festerling) was two minutes. In 2009-10, it is 1:21 from 10 (Aaron Ward) to 11 (Joffrey Lupul). 2008-09 is pretty amazing. Four players (Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Whitney) went 24 minutes a night. Eight skated 18:36. No one else was more than 16:40.

15. Asked James Reimer on Friday if there was any possibility concussion-related symptoms are a reason for his struggles. Answer: "I wish I could say it was that." Points for honesty.

16. Despite rumblings to the contrary, Tom Gilbert said he did not demand a trade from the Oilers. And he didn't like the suggestion of it, either.

17. Gilbert said there was one major difference in defensive-zone coverage in moving from Edmonton to Minnesota. Down low, the Oilers play man-to-man. The Wild prefer zone.

18. Nick Palmieri, who came to Minnesota from New Jersey, said the Wild's zone in that area of the ice isn't as aggressive as the one Peter DeBoer brought to the Devils. A couple New Jersey defencemen said DeBoer was asking them to do things they'd never done before, like leave the front of the net to overload down low. "We're pressuring the puck more than ever," one said. Seems to be working pretty well.

19. One Devil on Ilya Kovalchuk: "Boy, does he want the puck right now."

20. Carey Price went almost a period without facing a shot in last week's win over the Wild. Brought back memories of a great childhood moment. My father got tickets for a Montreal/Toronto game at Maple Leaf Gardens, one of those nights where the Canadiens absolutely toyed with the Maple Leafs. Rick Wamsley didn't get much action in the Montreal net and, in a quiet moment, the guy next to us yelled, "Hey Wamsley, getting bored?" Wamsley looked up and nodded. To an 11-year-old, that was pretty awesome.

21. Had a chance to chat with Canadiens captain Brian Gionta for about 10 minutes. He called this "the toughest season of my career," because he hasn't been able to help as the team collapsed. What did he see? "When you look at our overtime/shootout losses (10) and all of our blown leads, you see a team that is not confident in itself. We've been fragile during games."

22. Gionta praised David Desharnais and Alexei Emelin for their development during a difficult season. He added that the Canadiens must be better prepared to start next season (they lost seven of their first eight in October) and finished with "losing is not in us. We are not content with where we stand."

23. What's wrong with San Jose? Here's an idea. The Sharks have an internal saying: "Play to three." Basically, it's a belief that if they score three goals, there's no excuse to lose. On Jan. 7, they beat Washington 5-2, running their record to 20-1-2 in those games. They are 4-7-1 since.

24. Before his injury, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said the danger of the "play to three" philosophy is that a team can switch from a defensive mindset ("let's prevent another team from getting there") to an offensive one ("let's get there first"). When they were in Toronto, he showed players video of cheating on defence, or gliding when an extra stride would make a bigger difference in getting somewhere. San Jose won that night, but is 1-4 since.

25. How badly did Chicago need another defenceman to help Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook? Johnny Oduya played a season-high 25 minutes 25 seconds Sunday in Detroit.

26. Islanders' statistician Eric Hornick with a good one: Anders Nilsson is the fourth goalie ever to get his first win against Martin Brodeur. (Others: Brian Boucher, Henrik Lundqvist and Adam Berkhoel.) Good for Nilsson, who was served up to the Penguins for his first NHL start - Sidney Crosby's return. Always wonder if a guy's going to get ruined by something like that.

27. The Ontario Hockey League is going to have some kind of additional fighting penalty next season, but elimination of fisticuffs isn't going to happen. "I'm 99 per cent in favour of abolishing it, but I'm worried about 'the rat' taking over junior hockey," said one GM. Said another: "I don't hate fighting, I hate the bull (bleep) that comes with it." He's referring to staged fights, players taunting via social media and guys who can't do anything else.

28. The other thing they want to eliminate is fisticuffs after clean hits. Limiting the number of fighting majors a player can get during the season should cut down those kinds of brawls. Let's say the maximum is 10. Fight number 11 gets two games. Fight number 12 is four, and so on. You'd probably cut down on a lot of that.

29. Will the OHL do this on its own? Yes, if necessary. The WHL has little interest and the QMJHL is a tossup.

30. youcanplayproject.org -- very impressed with the initial launch.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Carlyle cleaning up mess left behind by Wilson:
'We have to correct this as a group'

By STEVE SIMMONS, QMI Agency, March 7 2012

TORONTO - Randy Carlyle was candid enough to admit he was nervous.

That was before he watched the good and the bad and the deficiencies of his Maple Leafs team all in one game on his fourth night of the rest of his coaching life. He doesn’t want to look at old games on tape. He doesn’t want to have any preconceived notions about his group. He wants to learn this team from Saturday night on.

And what he’s learned so far is there is much work to do — because frankly, the previous coaching administration left behind something of a mess.

He won’t say that. He isn’t here to castigate Ron Wilson. But what’s clear from Carlyle’s first four days on the job and listening to his words is this: He has to remake this team and mould it into something it has never been before.

The Leafs have to learn how to play in their own end of the ice. Tuesday night they gave up five goals against — the eighth time in the past 10 games they have given up four or more goals against.

“You can’t play that way,” said Carlyle. “Our offence is good enough.” Quick translation: their team defence, something Wilson rarely stressed, is not.

It isn’t just defensive zone coverage that Carlyle is looking for. He wants the Leafs to compete harder as a group, especially in one-on-one situations. He wants them to be tougher on the boards. He wants them to go to the net with a vengeance, the way the Boston rookie Jordan Caron did Tuesday night (Caron, for the record, was a late first-round draft pick chosen 18 picks after the Leafs selected Nazem Kadri).

“We have to correct this as a group,” said Carlyle, who has watched the uneven Leafs through two games and enjoyed their speed, their ability to generate offence, their spirit as a group, but at the same has cringed — and rightly so — about how much he has to undo what this team is used to doing. This is start over time for the Leafs, who lost points last night to the ninth place Washington Capitals. This is loss one in the Carlyle chase: They can afford four more losses and that’s all. After that, you can declare them officially out of the Eastern Conference playoff race.

But this was first night, first home game, the first time for butterflies at the Air Canada Centre. It doesn’t yet feel like home for Carlyle, even though that was a surprisingly loud mid-week crowd for Toronto. It doesn’t yet feel like home when he hasn’t had time to set up his office, isn’t sure how all the equipment works around the dressing room, isn’t certain where to go around the Air Canada Centre and even has to figure out exactly where he has to go to get his morning hockey staple of peanut butter, toast and coffee to start the day.

It will take time. This is a team so immature when it comes to basics such as neutral zone play, forechecking effort, conditioning, not running around in the defensive zone the way the Leafs managed in their closest game this season against the Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.

“We’re supposed to be aggressive,” said Carlyle. “We’re supposed to be hard hitting. That’s how you play the game. Our compete level is the thing that’s going to turn this hockey club around ... We had a lot of positives in the hockey game.”

Just not enough to get a win or beat the slightly sloppy Bruins.

So was he at all nostalgic about returning to the Leafs as coach after beginning his NHL career here as a player? “If nostalgic means nervous, I guess it would apply here,” he said.

This is about as revealing as Carlyle will get. He has shown a different side of himself in four days on the Leaf job. He has been more open, more honest, more forthcoming, more personal and personable, than he ever was at any time in Anaheim. He hasn’t been gruff or angry or short yet — at least not to the outside world.

He has worked hard, inside the dressing room, outside the dressing room, in cultivating who he is and what he demands this team to be. These are the first days of kindergarten. There is so much for this Leaf team to grasp, to comprehend, to change. They have to learn to walk before they can run.

And now Carlyle has a win and a loss and a growing dossier of what is required for success.

“As a coach, you’re never comfortable. That just doesn’t exist in our world.”

Not with this team. Not in these circumstances.

-----

An interesting perspective on a coach taking over a team in during the season. I have done this before a couple of times and I enjoy hearing what other people do as I am sure this situation will arise again... and again!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

FRASER: MY DEALINGS WITH THEO FLEURY DURING OUR CAREERS

KERRY FRASER, TSN.CA, March 8 2012

"I'm gonna *&%#ing kill you! I don't care who you *&#@-in' think you are. Let's meet outside in the parking lot, you *&%#ing ----bag *#%-hole!" (Fraser) immediately gave me a 10-minute misconduct, throwing me out of the game. It was too much. I took my helmet off and threw it at him.

- Theoren Fleury, from his book 'Playing with Fire'

I felt the anger well up in me as Fleury's helmet landed at my feet. For a fleeting moment, I considered kicking it back at him. But I quickly regained my composure and my professional demeanour and ejected him from the game.

It was April 19, 1996, Game 2 of a first-round series between the Calgary Flames and Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks had won the first game, 4–1, and now, in the third period, were up 3–0 and were on the power play. In a corner of the rink, I could see Fleury slashing - in retaliation - at the Hawks' Murray Craven. I assessed a penalty, which would again put the Flames two men down - and which triggered Theo's outburst, in which he threatened me with a passion that only men with nothing left to lose can muster.

It has always been my objective, in a game sometimes characterized by force and brutality, to show respect to all who cross my path, both on and off the ice.

I believe that sportsmanship is key and that there is a certain baseline of conduct and comportment that one should never slip below. Unfortunately, there have been a number of times when I, as well as other players, have fallen prey to a crudeness, even a cruelty, that is way out of line.

Theoren Fleury has been on both the giving and receiving side of that equation. He always talked a big game, and wasn't afraid to act on his claims if he thought it could benefit himself or his team. Calgary profited quite a bit from this fiery, controversial character and his great heart, speed and grit, not to mention the goals he scored prolifically. Theo wouldn't learn, however, until four years later, the venomous potency that words can have when aimed low.

On December 20, 2000 at Madison Square Garden, the buzzer had just sounded to end the first period and Fleury rushed up to me with tears in his eyes, a shocking sight in its own right. This player, known for his Mighty Mouse-like tenacity, now stood beaten down, appealing to a person he'd rather never have contact with. "Kerry, he can't talk to me like that!" he shouted. "He can't talk to me like that! I'm really tryin' to get my life turned around. I've been clean for a month and haven't done any coke or even had a drink since then. I'm really tryin', honest. Don't let him talk to me like that!"

Was this the same Theoren Fleury who had played for three different teams and had never once, while playing for any of them, exhibited any sort of trust in or respect for me? Was this the same guy who'd told me to go eff myself time and time again, who'd thrown his helmet at me, railed against me as an authority figure because he never wanted to play by the rules and, by virtue of my job, I forced him to? Could it be that man who was now was pouring out his heart to me?

He was desperate - I could see that in his eyes, along with a deep sadness and lifelessness. There were lines etched on his face from wounds that not even the best doctors could diagnose or repair; and he wore psychological scars from his troubled existence, despite being a superstar winger in the National Hockey League. I was confused in this moment by what I was seeing from Theo Fleury, but then again, most things that Theo did were confusing to the average person. In a moment of vulnerability, when I could easily have gotten him back and told him to eff off, I looked into those tormented eyes and felt compassion. I was reminded of my own seven children and how I felt for them when they were in distress, especially my son Ian, who had been to Fleury's hockey school a few years before. Theo Fleury was his favourite player growing up and Ian had a signed poster on his wall. Looking at Theo, I couldn't help but feel a small tug at my heartstrings and a desire to help take some of the pain away. Although Theo wasn't looking for a father's shoulder to cry on (he was still too proud for that), he was reaching out to me for the first time in our tumultuous relationship. I saw before me a broken human being with a dangerous combination of vulnerability, volatility, and weakness.

It was in this vulnerability, though, that I saw potential strength and could feel hope for him. He was probably expecting me to disappoint or mock him, as so many with authority had done throughout his life. But that was not my intention; I needed to throw Theo a lifeline. I only hoped he might grasp at it...

(The continuation of this story is too long for this blog. If and when you read on you will find it to be a life lesson for all involved and one in which, I believe, all players, coaches and even refs can learn from. I certainly did.)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Kennedy: Hockey community quickly accepting gay rights

Ryan Kennedy, The Hockey News, 2012-03-07

The timing could not have been more fortuitous. Just as I was talking to a teen player who had come out of the closet to his team and school, the Burke family’s You Can Play initiative hit the world full-stride, with a public service announcement featuring a cavalcade of NHLers.

From Zdeno Chara to Dion Phaneuf to Rick Nash, it’s impossible to minimize the names involved in the project, which takes its inspiration from the late Brendan Burke, son of Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke and brother of Flyers scout Patrick Burke. When Brendan announced to the Miami RedHawks team he worked for that he was gay, it began a revolution in hockey that is now unstoppable: Being openly gay and playing the sport at a high level will not be mutually exclusive for much longer.

Simply put, the momentum is too great. This isn’t like the foot-in-the-crease rule or bringing back the red line – intolerance towards homosexuals is finally seen as being on par with racism and players are beginning to acknowledge that.

Speaking with the teen player (his parents aren’t as keen on his name being out there), he told me how one of the first sentiments his teammates relayed to him was that they’d kick anyone’s ass that gave him a hard time. And really, if the jocks are on your side in high school, there’s not much left to fear other than acne and cafeteria food.

For further proof, just look at the immediate reaction to those who came out against Sean Avery when the Rangers (OK, Connecticut Whale) agitator voiced his support for gay marriage. Agent Todd Reynolds was treated like a pariah on the Internet and lost client Andrew Brunette (who signed with Don Baizley), while sportscaster Damian Goddard was fired by Sportsnet shortly after supporting Reynolds. These were swift backlashes – not a lot of hemming and hawing, which usually happens in hockey.

Will we see a current NHLer come out of the closet soon? I wouldn’t be surprised if the first big name to break the barrier is actually a college or major junior player who graduates to the bigs. Nothing against the current crop of NHLers, but the exposure of the current high school generation to positivity surrounding the gay community is light years ahead of what I experienced – and I’m not that old (we had one openly gay kid in high school and when he was harassed, a senior school official suggested the kid go to another school if he didn’t like it).

One perfect example is the character Omar Little from The Wire. ESPN’s LZ Granderson had a great piece on NFL and NBA stars who respected the openly gay stick-up artist, even if their previous views hadn’t been so liberal. Willem Dafoe’s badass FBI agent in The Boondock Saints inspired similar accolades from folks in my experience. Meanwhile, the Internet has created a space where no kid, no matter how small a town, is alone anymore.

Being a pioneer isn’t easy and with the money involved in sports these days, it’s not surprising no active Big Four athlete has come out yet – in their minds, I’m sure there are too many “what ifs?” And that’s fine – people have personal lives for a reason and we don’t need to know everything about our sports heroes if they’re not comfortable sharing. But there will be a trailblazer. The teen I talked to? I think he’s a hero and I’m sure he won’t be the last. There’s a long way to go before homophobia is stamped out, but the momentum is picking up fast in the hockey world.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Alexander Ovechkin is too predictable: Retired NHLer

Sean Fitz-Gerald, National Post, Mar 8, 2012

Alex Ovechkin has 26 goals and 49 points through 62 games this season. His shooting percentage (11%) is not far off his career average (11.8%), but he has not been taking as many shots.

Alexander Ovechkin has been struggling to generate offence because he has not adapted his style of play, giving opposing coaches and players time to catch up to a forward who was once unstoppable, according to one former opponent.

Bobby Holik, who retired from the National Hockey League three years ago after playing in more than 1,300 games, said it was only a matter of time before the pace and the grind caught up with the Russian star. Ovechkin, a two-time Hart Trophy winner, is 53rd on the NHL’s scoring list this season and has been benched by both men who have coached the Washington Capitals.

“I think he was always predictable,” Holik said. “I played quite a few games against him, but at that time, it was new to everyone. He was just so physically dominating that he was unstoppable on most nights. You just tried to contain him.”

Holik faced Ovechkin over four seasons.

“As your career progresses, you don’t have the same physical edge, because that’s just the way it is — you’re just playing so much hockey,” he said. “You have to become smarter, because in the long run, you cannot sustain that kind of physical edge.”

Ovechkin has 26 goals and 49 points through 62 games this season. His shooting percentage (11%) is not far off his career average (11.8%), but he has not been taking as many shots. The 26-year-old was held off the ice for more than six minutes in a recent game.

“Defencemen on teams, they start knowing top guys, what they do, and of course you have to adjust,” Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne said in a story about Ovechkin that appeared on the front page of The Washington Times in November. “And you have to find a way to maybe do different things.”

Holik won a pair of Stanley Cup titles with the New Jersey Devils before retiring after the 2008-09 season. He has been living in Wyoming, and has launched a blog — holikonhockey.com — posting one recent entry, “What’s wrong with Ovechkin.”

“It’s not too late, or it’s not over for Ovechkin,” Holik said over the phone. “But I don’t see anybody in the organization mentoring him, or guiding him. And I think it has to come from the top.”

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Carlyle's system will take time

Mike Brophy, Sportsnet.ca, March 8, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Despite the results, Randy Carlyle's message remains the same.

After losing its second straight game and having accumulated just five points in their last 15 games, the Toronto Maple Leafs put forth a solid effort in dropping a 3-2 decision to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"There were a lot of positives that came out of (Wednesday's) hockey game," Carlyle said. "That's part of the coaching staff's responsibility. You are going to hear it a lot of times from me; it's about the environment we are able to create for them. They have to feel good about their work ethic and I told them so. But, again, the mental mistakes are correctable. The positional mistakes we made and the turnovers at inopportune times are correctable."

It was a second straight solid effort. It was also the second consecutive night the Leafs lost two players to injury.

Joffrey Lupul and right winger Colby Armstrong went down against the Bruins. Lupul, who will be out 3-4 weeks, suffered a separated shoulder while Armstrong broke his nose in a fight and is listed as day-to-day.

Early in the first period, Mike Brown -- who missed Tuesday's game with a sore hand -- crashed heavily into the end boards behind the Penguins' goal and got up slowly before heading to the dressing room with a leg injury. Not long afterwards defenceman Cody Franson took the butt end of teammate Tim Connolly's stick in the eye and also did not return to the game.

Carlyle, who was coaching just his third game since joining the Leafs last Friday, leaned heavily on some of his players who were given additional ice time and responsibility. Captain Dion Phaneuf led the Leafs at 29:20 and responded with a plus-2 rating.

"I think that we showed signs of enthusiasm and kind of stuck with our game plan," Carlyle explained. "I thought we were better from a defensive standpoint in the critical areas and I thought that our work-ethic was stronger, but we ran out of bodies. We lost two bodies in the first 10 minutes of the hockey game again (Wednesday) and it taxes everybody else.

"Then it showed in some of the questionable decisions in terms of when to pinch and when not to pinch; turnovers and positioning. It's the little things that are costing us and my message to the players was, until we adopt the mentality that we are going to correct those little things, the work they are putting in they are not being rewarded for."

On a day when the Penguins organization honoured the great Mario Lemieux by unveiling a statue of No. 66 in front of the CONSOL Energy Center, it was the visitors who got off to a fast start in the game.

Right winger Phil Kessel scored his second goal in as many nights and 34th of the season a minute into the second period with the teams playing four aside. The puck was directed to him at the side of the goal and he swept it past Brad Thiessen, who was playing in just his second NHL game.

Six minutes later defenceman Carl Gunnarsson scored his second in as many games when a shot by Mikhail Grabovski banked in off his leg. Pascal Dupuis pulled the Penguins to within a goal when he deflected a shot past Jonas Gustavsson.

There's a reason why the Penguins are one of the best teams in the NHL and were entering Wednesday's tilt riding a six-game winning streak and the Leafs found out why as the game progressed. Quite simply, the Penguins don't quit. They pounded the shorthanded Leafs every chance they got.

Jordan Staal tied it a minute and a half into the third on a similar tip-in and then Dupuis gave the home side the lead with a shot that somehow found its way through The Monster.

For the second straight night, Carlyle came to the defence of his goalie.

"They were out-shooting us (by a ratio of) 2-1 at one point until we finally got some shots so you really can't fault The Monster," Carlyle said. "I thought he gave us a chance in the game. I'm sure he'd like to have the one goal back, but he gave us a pile of saves and we weren't able to get the third goal to tie the hockey game."

In a vote of confidence, the Leafs once again turned to Gustavsson. Carlyle was very clear Tuesday after the Leafs were beaten by the Boston Bruins that Gustavsson was not to blame. The coach said he was abandoned by his teammates.

It is clear the Maple Leafs believe Gustavsson, and not James Reimer, gives them the best chance to win at this stage of the season.

While Kessel has continued to score under Carlyle, his poor defensive play has been an issue. Carlyle, however, wasn't willing to throw him under the bus.

"I think there's work for our group; not just the Kessel line," he said. "He scored again and you need offence to win in this league, but you also need defence and right now our mixture hasn't been what is required for success in the last two games."

Judging by the players' reaction after the game, they are starting to get the coach's message.

"In the second period we turned the puck over too many times and that's when it gets tough," said Gunnarsson.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Does Dale Hunter Get a Passing Grade?

Steven Hindle • Washington Capitals Blogger • HockeyBuzz.com • March 8, 2012

Where Did It All Go Wrong?

On November 28th, 2011, the Washington Capitals fired Bruce Boudreau and hired Dale Hunter.

At the time, the Caps had lost 7 of their last 10 games and had seen their record slip from 9-2-1 on November 4th to 12-9-1 by the 28th.

The slide, a mirror of many situations over the past few seasons where this team collapsed for no apparent reason, was the last straw for Boudreau in DC and the first step in what appears to have become the wrong directions for the Capitals.

Bringing aboard long sought after coaching candidate, Dale Hunter, the spin was that this was going to be a positive step forward for the organization.

Spurred to action by Washington's poor play, there hasn't been much change in the way the Caps have played since Hunter's hiring.

Now sitting with a record of 32-28-6, the Capitals have managed a meager record of 20-19-5 under their new coach, scoring 105 goals for while allowing 115 goals against during that span.

It makes you wonder if this wasn't one of those "one step forward, two step back" situations for Washington?

Though the team sits with a stellar home record of 21-10-3, the truth is that under Boudreau the team went 8-2-0 in 10 games while Hunter's Caps have managed a less impressive record of 13-8-3.

Contrasted with their 4-7-0 record on the road to start the year under Gabby, Hunter's Caps haven't fared any better in registering a 7-11-3 record away from the Verizon Center.

So are they any better off with Dale Hunter behind the bench? Considering Boudreau's accomplishments right off the bat when he took over, it's safe to say Hunter isn't having quite the same affect.

Speaking of affect, Roman Hamrlik has not played a game since February 20th and Mike Knuble hasn't seen action since action but once since the 22nd. Leaving these two veteran leaders aside has seemingly caused a greater rift in the dressing room and with management being adamant about not moving them at the deadline, you have to wonder what the future holds for this team?

Is Hunter blowing his only chance?

Thoughts point to yes as he hasn't managed to corral a winning effort consistently out of this bunch and with time running out and the Caps walking the fine line between hope and despair, it could be a lot easier to lean towards this season as a write-off.

With Nicklas Backstrom's absence hanging over the offense like a noose, it's no secret that the Caps aren't the same team without him. Add to his absence the slow recovery and impact of Mike Green's return and all you can say is that these Capitals have become a very different team over the last 6 months.

With no leadership evident both on the ice and behind the bench, is it any surprise that leaders like Brooks Laich have had such an off-year? I can't imagine he is happy with how things have gone and considering the value he holds, it's amazing he hasn't been able to provide more of a regular impact for this team. Yet that speaks to the truth behind the problems; if Brooks Laich, your ultimate utility man and the true heart of this team, can't provide an impact, you're doing something wrong.

Yes, Ovechkin's been an issue this year and, even worse, Semin's been a complete non-factor, yet this is no longer a shock.

The real shock is that the once great supporting cast which helped hold these All Stars above the fray no longer possess the same abilities. Whether a separation in chemistry or confidence, the player-to-player connections are no longer there. Unfed by a far-less charismatic and personal coaching staff and the players are evidently just as lost today as they were mid-November.

To be fair to Hunter, it took him a couple years before he settled into the coaching force he was known to be in London. Perhaps it will take a little longer for him to gel this team together and work with management to procure the pieces he wants to work with, but with four years invested into the core of this team, would it not be more prudent for them to build around that core instead of their new coach?

It's a conundrum, no argument there.

But does Dale Hunter get a passing grade?

There are 16 games and 32 points left on the table for the Caps.

Sitting two points out of the final playoff spot and four points out of top spot in the Southeast, there's no reason to think they playoffs aren't in the cards for this team, yet it's going to take a monumental shift in commitment on behalf of the players and coaching staff if they want to get there.

The challenges for this team are far greater than making the playoffs, but with those hopes teetering on the brink, there's no time to think past today.

And today brings a very important matchup with the Tampa Bay Lightning and a very valuable game in hand on the Winnipeg Jets. A win will tie the Caps with the Jets and will bring them two points closer to the Panthers.

It's a brutal situation because nothing is comfortable in DC anymore.

Pulling together is their only hope for success, but even that seems uncertain at best.

Whether he needs more time or the team just needed better breaks, passing grade or not, it's hard to think Dale Hunter has more than 16 games to prove he is the coach this team needs moving forward.

-----

Compare and contrast this to the position Randy Carlyle inherited in Toronto. The NHL is a pressure cooker.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

1339 posts :: Page 36 of 45