39 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Likes:
  (Read 52962 times)  

I'm really interested to hear and learn how other coaches plan their next year / season. So maybe this topic could be a place where you can share your approach to season planning.

On season 2011-2012 I'll be head coach of a U15-team (born 1997). This group is quite challenging for a few reasons.
1. Biological age, majority of boys seems to be -4 years from the average. But on the positive side it gives us more time to work with their skills
2. Athletism, generally amount of training is low. Do we have adequate skills base.
3. Lack of playing games. (And I mean any games soccer, basketball and hockey etc.)

Our focus is on games and learning by games on-ice and off-ice. We want to find ways to do blend our skills training into games.
Off-ice training is focused by physical development periods. At age of 12 to 15 years kids have great response to speed, elasticity and speed strength training. Also aerobic condition development period starts and last to age 20 years. Also we want to develop their flexibility. Goal is long-term development.

There is some background to my season planning. I'll try to update my progression here if you are interested. It would be great to hear some your ideas and approaches

Kai

Good new topic Kai! I will add to this post in the future... might be on what I did in the past with different levels as I am not coaching a team per se - then readers can extrapolate some themes for their own use.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)
Ch.P.C. (Chartered Professional Coach)
Game Intelligence Training

"Great education depends on great teaching."

more spam to eliminate

Good topic Kai! I'll be looking for your plan and hopefully be able to add to this post in the future. Not yet 100 percent sure but seems I could be coaching the U15 also next season.

Junior

I agree, great topic!

I thought about asking you guys how you plan out your seasons a little while ago, but I know all of you have shared this info before to some extent. I'll give it a shot this year and welcome any feedback. More to come later this week....

Koutsi97

Is it my aging eyes, or is the lion in your avatar drinking a tiny beer?

Hmmmm... maybe NOT. Hmmmph. I suggest you ask Kai for some photoshop help to rectify that situation... or get a picture of you drinking a BIG BEER!!!

OK now that I set you straight, let's get back to planning the 2011-2012 season. Please include the pertinent details at the start - the age / level / number of athletes (by position) / number of on vs off-ice practices per week / how many staff members will you have / etc.

Looking forward to it gents!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: hockeygod

Hmmmm... maybe NOT. Hmmmph. I suggest you ask Kai for some photoshop help to rectify that situation... or get a picture of you drinking a BIG BEER!!!

I'm working on that picture but there usually nobody to take pictures when I drink my beer (I like this Finnish Karhu olut - Bear Beer).

Next season:
Level: Travel/AAA (hard to say, there are no that kind of levels here, or is there Kai?)
Goalies: 2-3, Defense: 8-9, Offense: 12-13
Off-ice: 2-4 (not planned yet)
On-ice: 3-4 (not planned yet)
Coach: 2-3 (2 for skaters, one for goalies)

Last series game tonight and then some sort of "playoffs" - "final four" in couple weeks, after one months we will have a tournament near Praha (Chech). Then tryouts and new season starts...

Junior

Koutsi97,

If you drink alone, that is a sign of alcoholism.... Wink

If you are like Tom and myself, I am sure you have some fellow coaches who like to have a pint of beer to discuss some tactical points, seasonal planning, no?!!!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Koutsi97,
If you drink alone, that is a sign of alcoholism.... Wink
If you are like Tom and myself, I am sure you have some fellow coaches who like to have a pint of beer to discuss some tactical points, seasonal planning, no?!!!

I think I'm quite far from that, I don't have the time to become one :-). I understand your point but I think it is not habit here to take picture while drinking, it's not even habit of having a discussion while having some beers ;-). We actually talked about next season and the plan for it after the last night's game but you don't drink at the rink, no, no...

We are building our coaching team still, I'm not even sure if I'm needed there, so details to come later...

Junior

(quick update)

Starting to get ready with the "big picture".

I really want us to play and learn to play smart. All out the year we want to keep the focus in the game. Surely we need to learn skills and get strenght etc. but make these exercises in the game as much as we can.

I have divided the season (year) in 10 periods. 8 periods 5 weeks long and 2 periods 6 weeks long. Each period has it's own focus in 5 categories; skills elements (e.g. balance, sense of rhythm, mobility etc.), hockey skills, physique, tactics, and mental qualities.

Maybe if i have time i'll try to translate the period plan sheet to english.

Kai

I should have more time to contribute to this topic later next week... If you have time to translate some of the big picture Kai, that would be interesting to see!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

I will throw in my 2 cents worth here.

I am reading a book called "The Checklist Manfesto-How to Get Things Right" by Atul Gwande. He is a surgeon but gives examples how checklists are used in contruction and by pilots to get things right.

It has to be very specific and step by step when building something like an office tower that needs supporting structures before the floor is put in etc. In rushed situations like before a game a short To Do list is best.

A season plan is more like putting up a building but because it is working with people it is not so linear. Game understanding needs to compliment the skills. So what and how is only going to give you robotic players. Why, when and where need to be part of the plan.

George Kingston who was Dean of PE at the U of Calgary and head hockey coach, has been all over the world and a long time NHL asst. coach is a very inductive person. In his hockey coaching course he had a checklist of all the skills needed by a player. These were skating, puck handling, shooting etc. but not game understanding skills.

The list was down the sheet with check boxes on the right and the date worked on at the top. Each practice George would check off the skills worked on and the list became an easy way to keep track of the things you have done and the things that need to get done.

Maybe we could expand on this idea here by listing the skating skills, checking skills, puck handling skills etc. but also the team play concepts, good playing habits and game understanding needed.

So what are the physical and intellectual skills needed. After this what tools can the coach use to practice these skills. So drills for individual and team offensive and defensive play, SAG's, transition games etc.

What are the age appropriate building blocks?

'The Game is the Greatest Coach'
'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Tom,

Thanks for the book title. What do you think of the book? Is it worthwhile?

I remember George's checklists. I still have them in a binder. Great idea to add physical / intellectual / thinking skills, etc. to them - and by age.

Coincidentally, but I created a document for the NWCAA in the late 1980's that I called a "Skills Consistency Program." I used George's checklist model and broke it down by age (Pee Wee, Bantam, Midget, Junior), showing progressions - but at that time, I didn't include the mental or physical components - it was all individual skills / Individual tactics / team tactics / systems based. After far too many hours of research and design, I presented it to the NW, they were to hand it out to the coaches at the respective age levels the following year, and then follow up with them (mentor the coaches) and then ... nothing! The Board members moved on or did not get re-elected, so the impetus for change died. I don't know if they even handed them out to the coaches. It was pretty long - 20 + pages - and I remember I did it on a typewriter! I think I have a hard copy somewhere in my files; but I will let someone else take a run at this one!

I will be interested in seeing what people come up with!
-------------------------------
Dean I finished the book this morning and really enjoyed it. Lots of thought provoking ideas. Even if we made short check lists of what to cover before a game, what to have on hand for practicing and the roles of everyone involved. Start with the obvious (like did I leave the scissors in the patients stomach) and make it more specific in longer range plans.

Even the Old Timer tournament in St. Albert last month. The defibruator was gone for repairs. You have divisions over 70 and there is no defib machine. Someone should have used a check list. The goalie who died probably would have appreciated it.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Here's a Junior hockey perspective on planning. They are operating on a 3-4 year 'cycle' where in minor hockey, it is year to year or a 2-year cycle, at best.

Soetaert admits it's time to rebuild Silvertips
After a lackluster 2010-11 campaign, the Tips' GM says it's time to get back to basics and build for the long term.

By Nick Patterson, Herald writer Published: Sunday, April 3, 2011

EVERETT -- The term "rebuilding" has been taboo in these parts since the Everett Silvertips began play in 2003. From Day 1 Everett announced its intention to be as competitive as possible each and every year, with making the playoffs the minimum requirement.

It's an indication of Everett's situation that Tips general manager Doug Soetaert is finally willing to utter the "R" word.

Coming off a disappointing 2010-11, the Tips are admitting the 2011-12 season will be a rebuilding one in Everett.

"We've been reloading and reloading and reloading every year because we wanted to make the playoffs," said Soetaert, who acknowledged over-projecting this season's team. "But at some point in time it was going to catch up to us, and honestly it's caught up to us. So the new word is 'rebuilding,' not 'reloading.'

"We're all on the same page. The owners, Craig (Hartsburg, Everett's coach), myself, we're all on the same page with what has to be done here."

The Tips are coming off a disappointing season in which they went 28-33-7-4, finished eighth in the Western Conference and were swept by Portland in the first round of the playoffs.

With the limited resources at the team's disposal for next season, the Tips are gearing up for the long term rather than the short term.

"We're going to have to battle next year to make the playoffs," Soetaert said. "But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I like what we've got with our young guys who were here this year. We'll be hard working. That's what we want, a team that shows that consistent work ethic."

With the rebuild comes a different philosophy in how to assemble a roster. This season's team included several core players who were acquired via trade within the past 18 months, including its captain (Landon Ferraro) and all three overagers (Clayton Cumiskey, Chad Suer, Parker Stanfield). Going forward the Tips are committed to building from within and re-establishing their own brand.

"We can't continue to bring other people's players in to win a championship every year," Soetaert said. "It catches up to you. You have to get back to creating your identity and bringing your players through your system."

Everett has two tremendous pieces to begin the building process in defenseman Ryan Murray and goaltender Kent Simpson. Murray, who will be an 18-year-old, is already being talked about as a top-10 pick in the 2012 NHL draft. Simpson, who will be 19, should be a rock in net in his second season as the outright No. 1, especially after weathering the adjustment to full-time duties and emerging stronger.

But where will the goals come from? Everett finished dead last in the Western Conference in goals this season with 171. Winger Tyler Maxwell, Everett's lone consistent source of offense this season with 41 goals, should be back as an overager. But there isn't a whole lot beyond that, and the Tips don't have the kind of can't-miss offensive prospects one can expect to make an immediate impact upon arriving in the WHL.

The Tips are hoping an attitude adjustment can help compensate.

"We just have to come together as a group and really be determined as a group to want to win," Simpson said. "Not that we didn't want to win this year, but I think sometimes we had lapses in our dedication to wanting to be an outstanding team, and bringing that every day. I think next year we're going to be expected to work every day we're at the rink. The coaches made it clear that next year is going to be an improvement from this year, and that will be something to look forward to."

Soetaert said all of Everett's returning players, beyond a select few, will be auditioning to retain roster spots.

Everett has six returning players eligible for the three overage roster spots. Soetaert said Maxwell and defenseman Brennan Yadlowski would likely occupy two of those. Ferraro and defenseman Rasmus Rissanen both are strong candidates to play professionally next season, but could be returned. Forwards Josh Birkholz and Scott MacDonald are the others in contention.

As for newcomers, the status of Everett's highest-profile prospect is still up in the air. Defenseman Seth Jones, a first-round bantam pick in 2009 and the son of former NBA player Popeye Jones, is currently playing for the U.S. National Team Development Program. He has yet to commit either to the Tips or an NCAA school.

Everett has a large number of other 1994-born prospects -- 17-year-olds next season -- in its system who will be among the candidates for the rebuild. Forwards Kohl Bauml and Jordyn Boyd, defenseman Darian Henry and goaltender Andy Desautels have already signed education contracts with the Tips, with Boyd and Desautels each making their WHL debuts this season during call-ups. Others in the mix include wingers Carson Samoridny and Trent Lofthouse.

Among Everett's 1995-born prospects, center Ryan Chynoweth, the team's top bantam pick from 2010 who's also signed, is the most-likely player to make the team as a 16-year-old.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

We already have tryouts coming up for my Tier II mite team. I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization. As for picking a team, one thing I noticed last season is that, among the kids who had already been playing for at least two years, the best skaters improved the most during the season and the weakest skaters improved the least (everyone improved a great deal, though, thanks to the ABCs method of running practices). This surprised me, but most of the experienced coaches on this board, even at the elite levels, appear to put a priority on skating. So, I will be picking a team primarily based on skating ability and on their performance in small area games. As for the season, I intend to keep a heavy emphasis on skating and increase the emphasis on stickhandling with the head up.

Any luck on finding those checklists, Dean?

Junior

Quote by: rcmat

(1) We already have tryouts coming up for my Tier II mite team. I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization. (2) As for picking a team, one thing I noticed last season is that, among the kids who had already been playing for at least two years, the best skaters improved the most during the season and the weakest skaters improved the least (everyone improved a great deal, though, thanks to the ABCs method of running practices). This surprised me, but most of the experienced coaches on this board, even at the elite levels, appear to put a priority on skating. (3) So, I will be picking a team primarily based on skating ability and on their performance in small area games. As for the season, I intend to keep a heavy emphasis on skating and increase the emphasis on stickhandling with the head up.

(4) Any luck on finding those checklists, Dean?

What is the age of mites?

1) I find your comment about "I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization" interesting. In Calgary, we pick our hockey teams at the end of summer (start tryouts maybe late in August to mid-September) with the elite teams (obviously) finishing their selections first (choose the best first and then the trickle-down effect happens) by late September; but all teams are done by early October. My friend Anthony in Hamilton ON coaches rep or AA / AAA and they choose their teams in May I believe - then they train throughout the summer and start playing exhibition games in September. From my perspective (late choosing teams), it would be neat to try the early way; and for you, it would probably be neat to try it later. Then compare notes to see which is the best way. I am sure there are pros and cons to each. Not sure which is best without experiencing both - and it would be different depending upon the age of the athletes (where they are on the LTAD spectrum).

An early start gives you more time to learn your players personalities / strengths / weaknesses - build team chemistry and gives you a longer time to practice / develop. A later start time allows for individual growth spurts and maturity changes - perhaps this would change the outcome of the team selection process (early vs. late maturers?)

2) I imagine you are using a subjective / anecdotal analysis regarding your determination of who improved more at skating (and which 'elements' of skating are you talking about)? In this case, you are saying the gap is widening between the best and the not so good's... Do you run a battery of timed tests at the start to establish a baseline; then mid-way through the season; then at the end to definitively back this up? (If you don't perhaps consider it this year to see what the results are. Prior to going in, rank your kids from top to bottom - best skater to weakest skater - then run the baseline, midpoint and final tests, then see how the scores compare to your earliest impressions. If you want some ideas / protocol for tests, ask me and I can help you.)

Not saying it doesn't happen or isn't happening; maybe your perception is misleading you? Or maybe the better skaters see they are more successful, so their motivation and self-confidence is greater - leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy? (Could the opposite could be said of the not so good's?) I don't know... you would know best. Just looking for clarification.

The reason I am curious about your statement is because of something called the 'Ceiling Effect' which says that the more proficient one gets, the tougher it is to make progress or the longer it takes to make that progress (experience more plateau's) as we have a 'Ceiling' where we can't ultimately can't get any better / faster / stronger (or it is pretty imperceptible - physiological limitations.) Those who are really bad, stand to have more room to improve, so if they practice the same amount with the same intensity as the better players, they should improve 'more' over the same time period.

3) I like your philosophy on player selection. Prioritize a couple of things you feel are key to 'playing the style' of hockey you believe will lead to success.

How will you evaluate (a) skating ability and (b) individual performance in small area games... and thereby rank players? Curious to hear your thoughts on evaluation. I have been working on this idea for years and would love to hear your insights! Do tell...!!

Remember my mantra: "Execute skills - with the head / eyes up (peripheral vision) - at game speed (use overspeed to go beyond failure so one breaks through their comfort zone) - under pressure (time / score / checking, etc... reward the winners and hold the losers accountable to ensure healthy competition) - consistently (no difference in outlook or performance from practice to games. Compete everywhere, all the time.)"

4) Haven't looked for the checklists. I moved last May and I still have 20 banker's boxes of binders to unpack (actually, I will probably recycle them), but even if I found them, I would have to scan them. My wife has been on my ass to get this done; I must admit, it ain't even on ANY of my numerous lists at this point. Perhaps Tom has a copy that is more readily at hand? (Not to say I won't EVENTUALLY get around to it, but I am swamped right now with 'real life' stuff!!!! If I do, you will be the second to know - my wife will be the first as a guy can always use Brownie Points!)

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

What is the age of mites?

1) I find your comment about "I would prefer the luxury of picking the team in September, but that is the nature of our organization" interesting. In Calgary, we pick our hockey teams at the end of summer (start tryouts maybe late in August to mid-September) with the elite teams (obviously) finishing their selections first (choose the best first and then the trickle-down effect happens) by late September; but all teams are done by early October. My friend Anthony in Hamilton ON coaches rep or AA / AAA and they choose their teams in May I believe - then they train throughout the summer and start playing exhibition games in September. From my perspective (late choosing teams), it would be neat to try the early way; and for you, it would probably be neat to try it later. Then compare notes to see which is the best way. I am sure there are pros and cons to each. Not sure which is best without experiencing both - and it would be different depending upon the age of the athletes (where they are on the LTAD spectrum).

An early start gives you more time to learn your players personalities / strengths / weaknesses - build team chemistry and gives you a longer time to practice / develop. A later start time allows for individual growth spurts and maturity changes - perhaps this would change the outcome of the team selection process (early vs. late maturers?)

2) I imagine you are using a subjective / anecdotal analysis regarding your determination of who improved more at skating (and which 'elements' of skating are you talking about)? In this case, you are saying the gap is widening between the best and the not so good's... Do you run a battery of timed tests at the start to establish a baseline; then mid-way through the season; then at the end to definitively back this up? (If you don't perhaps consider it this year to see what the results are. Prior to going in, rank your kids from top to bottom - best skater to weakest skater - then run the baseline, midpoint and final tests, then see how the scores compare to your earliest impressions. If you want some ideas / protocol for tests, ask me and I can help you.)

Not saying it doesn't happen or isn't happening; maybe your perception is misleading you? Or maybe the better skaters see they are more successful, so their motivation and self-confidence is greater - leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy? (Could the opposite could be said of the not so good's?) I don't know... you would know best. Just looking for clarification.

The reason I am curious about your statement is because of something called the 'Ceiling Effect' which says that the more proficient one gets, the tougher it is to make progress or the longer it takes to make that progress (experience more plateau's) as we have a 'Ceiling' where we can't ultimately can't get any better / faster / stronger (or it is pretty imperceptible - physiological limitations.) Those who are really bad, stand to have more room to improve, so if they practice the same amount with the same intensity as the better players, they should improve 'more' over the same time period.

3) I like your philosophy on player selection. Prioritize a couple of things you feel are key to 'playing the style' of hockey you believe will lead to success.

How will you evaluate (a) skating ability and (b) individual performance in small area games... and thereby rank players? Curious to hear your thoughts on evaluation. I have been working on this idea for years and would love to hear your insights! Do tell...!!

Remember my mantra: "Execute skills - with the head / eyes up (peripheral vision) - at game speed (use overspeed to go beyond failure so one breaks through their comfort zone) - under pressure (time / score / checking, etc... reward the winners and hold the losers accountable to ensure healthy competition) - consistently (no difference in outlook or performance from practice to games. Compete everywhere, all the time.)"

4) Haven't looked for the checklists. I moved last May and I still have 20 banker's boxes of binders to unpack (actually, I will probably recycle them), but even if I found them, I would have to scan them. My wife has been on my ass to get this done; I must admit, it ain't even on ANY of my numerous lists at this point. Perhaps Tom has a copy that is more readily at hand? (Not to say I won't EVENTUALLY get around to it, but I am swamped right now with 'real life' stuff!!!! If I do, you will be the second to know - my wife will be the first as a guy can always use Brownie Points!)

[/p]

Thanks for the reply and comments. Mites are 7-8 y.o.'s (the same as Canadian novice), which is a important piece of context that I left out of my post.

1. Given the young age and other interests/sports, we do not begin training until the third week of August. (This season, I plan to throw in some off ice training sessions including some floorball and some simple routines for practicing stickhandling and shooting on their own.) So, in general the advantage of picking early, in my opinion, is lost to some extent on kids this young. It would be interesting though to try each, though, as you point out, to experience the pros-cons of both. I suspect that the kids would attend more camps and spend more time shooting pucks in the garage over the summer if the tryouts were later. Also, there is the maturing factor that you point out.

2. That's very perceptive -- Yes, I am relying on subjective / anecdotal analysis, and I had already planned to test whether my perceptions had any basis in fact by getting a baseline at tryouts, testing again during team photo day, and again at the end of the season. Basically, there were certain skills that some of the players just couldn't perform, like a two-foot hockey stops on both sides, pivoting from forward to backwards both directions, or skating backwards proficiently. Subjectively speaking, the most agile players at the beginning of the season seemed to improve the most throughout. I don't think the ceiling effect came into play because I think all of them still have a massive capacity for improvement. I think the better athletes/skaters were more comfortable and willing to push themselves to the edge of the envelope and beyond in practice, whereas the lesser skaters were more tentative, perhaps worried about their peers and parents seeing them fall. Also, note that I qualified my statement with skaters that already had a few year's experience -- some of the less good's only had one year of hockey experience but still had huge gains.

As for a battery of tests, I would love to have your suggestions.

3. For the evaluations -- and keep in mind that I have only coached for three years -- I will basically be looking at who the puck tends to gravitate to (SAGs seem to amplify the tendency for the best players to end up with the puck) and who is able to make moves / pass the puck (no one can pass the puck well unless they have the presence of mind to look up). We did a lot of full-ice scrimmaging last year for evals, but it wasn't so helpful as no one plays their position and everyone tries to make end-to-end rushes. Any suggestions or pointers you have would be appreciated. Your mantra / the ABCs made the 2010-11 season a great success. I got a lot of complements from parents and opposing coaches how my players would settle the puck and look before they passed -- something I attribute to a lot of SAGs with modified rules.

I eagerly await your advice on the battery of tests, but I was thinking along the lines of timed skate from goal line to blue line (timed), hockey stop on both sides (subjective), and cross-overs around the circles (timed).

4. No worries. At my wife's urging I finally threw away bankers boxes that had been unopened for three moves.

Junior

I got an email today from a coaching friend who is starting evaluations. He asked me how I would do them. Based on my work with some associations and running some evaluation camps for college here is my reply.
-------------
Hi .............,

Good to hear from you.

I am doing some spring hockey with younger kids and still doing my 12-14 yr. skills group twice a week for a school.............................

When I evaluate I like to look at skating and how they play in the 3 game situations and 4 playing roles.

0 - loose puck, do they get there and win those battles for the puck and rebounds

1- Offense
Role 1 - individual offensive skills - puck handle, pass, shoot, take a pass. See the ice, make the easy play right away.
Role 2 - team offensive skills - face the puck, give a target, get open, give and go, create 2 on 1's, go to the net, D join the play.

2- Defense
Role 3 - ind. defensive skill - play from the defensive side, angle with stick on the puck and body on body, stick in the lanes, shinpads in the shooting lanes, back check, tie up sticks in the slot, etc.
Role 4 - team defensive skill - play from the defensive side, recongnize who to cover, head on a swivel, communicate, etc.

I like to rank players in groups according to their last season. i.e. group of 40

- Break them into 8 groups of 5 with at least 2 evaluators watching each group and only that group. Rank them group 1-8.
- players have numbers.
- evaluators must constantly move players up and down during the practice (on ice coaches or players know nothing of what is happening). So in group 2 one player must be moved to group 1 and when this happens group 1 must move one player down to group down to 2.
- everyone turn in the new groups to the head evaluator who compiles them for the next practice and makes new teams.
- head evaluator should flag a players name if it seems like the evaluations are putting a player way above or below their previous ranking (is it improvement, illness, injury or politics)
- at least 4 practices are needed.

Tryout Pracitces should incluce warm up drills, shooting and passing,
- SAG's (I have had as many as 4 games going at once with 2 nets on each goal line and a tournament)
- Transition games where you can watch the entire play starting with a continuous 1-1 where the F has to compete for the loose puck and D must make the breakout pass. Move to up to a continuous 3-2 if you have at least 8 D and 12 F.
- Full ice games of 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 with a whistle going every minute. Players pass back to the goalie and change on the go. (this gives about 50" shifts)

Not scientific but that is how I would run the tryout. All the age groups can do basically the same thing. Rotate which group the evaluators do each time so they see all the kid's and the evaluators could do a report card on their group of 5 the last 30 min.

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

rcmat, I emailed you... hope to talk to you middle to end of next week.

Tom, thanks for this. Next beer, we will discuss this evaluation plan in more detail... this has been a Holy Grail for me for many years... amongst others!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Tom (or anyone)
can you show continuous 1-1 and continuous 3-2 drills??

Saw Toms post about tryout evals.

Thanks

Side note
In Philadelphia/New Jersey area tryouts are going on now (April) will Tier I tryouts completed already. Thats so fast considering seasons just finished. The Top Tier I program had tryouts the same week their season ended.

I finally registered Smile

Chatty

Aberdeen go to the top right corner of thes site. Type in continuous 1-1 and it will give lots of links with explanation. Also if you go to the file section I have put pdf's of all the transition games there. they are coded DT (D is games T is transition)

Good luck

'Enjoy the Game'

Admin

Update,

This is great! We are working in cooperation with local (american)football club and gymnastics club.
So we have one football practice and one gymnastics practice per week.

Still working with the translation Dean.

Kai

Dean, thanks for the tryout tips. The 1 v 1s were extremely effective at exposing strengths and weaknesses. There were not enough goals scored to really use goals as an objective measure, but it was easy to see who could win a battle and make a move with the puck. I also did some 1 v 1 v 1 where all three players went out at once against each other and could shoot on either goal. That required some extra stickhandling and kept fewer players standing in line. After making subjective evaluations based on the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and limited 5 v 5 scrimmage, I looked at the times that my helpers recorded for skating drills, and that data matched perfectly with the performance in the competitive drills/scrimmage.

Junior

Kai,
Hey great topic. I am new to this site and love it. My only complaint is that I can't leave my computer now. Endless drills and videos.

I currently for the past six or seven years have only been running and helping coaches with their practices from local league and Rep to Bantam and Midget AAA teams. I am a non parent coach. It is A passion of mine to help young players develop and coaches also.
While I am still learning every day , I find one thing that I strive for in the beginning of every year.

Gain the repect from each and every player and coach by showing them that I am prepared and giving 100 % comittment to them . If the players pick up on this , they will strive to please their coach , on and off the ice.

I usually have a team structure and systems drawn up on Drill Draw which can be made into booklets for each player.
Like to have classroom time to go over these structures.

Sructures such as - Defense zone , Neutral zone , Offensive zone , tracking (backchecking) , forechecking , PP and PK , also faceoff options for each zone.

Also I have use of the Coachesclub from Hockey Canada. There are many video clips available for players to view or that I can show them during classroom sessions.

. Many practices are only 50 mins per week. It is hard to work everything.
I like to start with my Defensive zone first. Work on checking from the inside out.
Start with showing winger presentation on breakout. Open face pivots always keeping eyes on the puck
Work drills showing center support in D zone.

Early in the year I like to run high flow practices , lots of passing and shooting. Battle drills and small area games.

Many coaches between drills have [players skate two hard laps of the ice.

This is where I work on skills , such as reverse pivots , edges , puck protection, battles between the bluelines , stickhandling , quick foot speed drills at each circle, shift changes on and off the ice . etc. But this is usually done with high intensity.

Tom , this is a FANTASTIC site . It is great that you and others give knowledge to other coaches such as myself.
I strive to be the best coach possible , so in return this information can be passed on to young players.

Thanks Again !

Quote by: rcmat

Dean, thanks for the tryout tips. The 1 v 1s were extremely effective at exposing strengths and weaknesses. There were not enough goals scored to really use goals as an objective measure, but it was easy to see who could win a battle and make a move with the puck. I also did some 1 v 1 v 1 where all three players went out at once against each other and could shoot on either goal. That required some extra stickhandling and kept fewer players standing in line. After making subjective evaluations based on the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, and limited 5 v 5 scrimmage, I looked at the times that my helpers recorded for skating drills, and that data matched perfectly with the performance in the competitive drills/scrimmage.

Great to hear... I was wondering how tryouts went. You will have to report on how your team does this season! All the best.

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Quote by: RookieCoach

Kai,
Hey great topic. I am new to this site and love it. My only complaint is that I can't leave my computer now. Endless drills and videos.

I currently for the past six or seven years have only been running and helping coaches with their practices from local league and Rep to Bantam and Midget AAA teams. I am a non parent coach. It is A passion of mine to help young players develop and coaches also.
While I am still learning every day , I find one thing that I strive for in the beginning of every year.

Gain the repect from each and every player and coach by showing them that I am prepared and giving 100 % comittment to them . If the players pick up on this , they will strive to please their coach , on and off the ice.

I usually have a team structure and systems drawn up on Drill Draw which can be made into booklets for each player.
Like to have classroom time to go over these structures.

Sructures such as - Defense zone , Neutral zone , Offensive zone , tracking (backchecking) , forechecking , PP and PK , also faceoff options for each zone.

Also I have use of the Coachesclub from Hockey Canada. There are many video clips available for players to view or that I can show them during classroom sessions.

. Many practices are only 50 mins per week. It is hard to work everything.
I like to start with my Defensive zone first. Work on checking from the inside out.
Start with showing winger presentation on breakout. Open face pivots always keeping eyes on the puck
Work drills showing center support in D zone.

Early in the year I like to run high flow practices , lots of passing and shooting. Battle drills and small area games.

Many coaches between drills have [players skate two hard laps of the ice.

This is where I work on skills , such as reverse pivots , edges , puck protection, battles between the bluelines , stickhandling , quick foot speed drills at each circle, shift changes on and off the ice . etc. But this is usually done with high intensity.

Tom , this is a FANTASTIC site . It is great that you and others give knowledge to other coaches such as myself.
I strive to be the best coach possible , so in return this information can be passed on to young players.

Thanks Again !

Rookie Coach, Glad to have you aboard. You will find lots of great stuff on this site. Keep asking questions and posting comments! Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------
RookieCoach; I am glad you are joining us and look forward to your input.
Tom

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

Ok Dean,

Here is the base of my plan translated ( there can be some erros but i'll hope that I got the terminology right Oops! )

Kai

cheerful

Thanks Kai!

Nice job! A few things I wasn't sure about the translation... ie:

What is large motion "storage"? I think you are referring to "muscle memory"?

What are "themed games" and "off-ice games"? Looking for examples of both to make sure I understand.

What is "versatile training"? Do you mean "cross training"? Examples?

Thanks Kai!

Dean
M.Ed (Coaching)

39 posts :: Page 1 of 2